Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Guideline size for weight?

I know the best way to buy clothes is based on measurements, but I am needing to look for a dress to wear to a wedding this summer, and I know how much I *think* I am going to weigh, is there a way to figure out size from that?

Or a certain number of pounds between sizes? I have lost 20 pounds and dropped one size, so will I be down one more size if I lose another 20?

Any help is very much appreciated
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #2  
Tallahasss

Hi Bridget,
I would only buy what really fits you. Wait until just a couple weeks before the wedding, because who knows how much you're going to lose and from what area of your body. You don't want to buy too small of a size and end up feeling sad because you can't wear it or uncomfortable at the wedding. If you buy too big of a size you'll need to shell out money to get it tailored or wear it and look frumpy. People always look best in properly fitting clothes! No matter what size I've been, it's a confidence booster to be wearing stuff that fits and looks good. So wait!
ulapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

Buy what fits now and have it tailored. I have been in the place where the bridesmaid's dress doesn't fit 3 weeks before the wedding and it is not fun.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #4  
Bad Mamma Jamma

I agree with the above. What could be worse than buying something too small and being stuck with it, while having nothing to wear? I don't mean that you won't lose the weight, but why set yourself up?

On this forum and others, I have seen SO many heartbroken posts over the years from people who ordered wedding or bridesmaids dresses too small, assuming the pressure to get in the dress would keep them on track. Only once have I seen someone actually get in the dress (with a too-small body shaper, and you know that had to be miserable). Most of the time people are scrambling at the last minute to find something they can get in.

One of my own bridesmaids did this - she ordered her dress too small and we had to have the whole thing cut up and remade about a week before the wedding...it's almost impossible to go very much bigger so she was wrapped in spandex under the dress and miserable the whole time.

If you've found something you like, order your current size and just have it taken in.
NicoleNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

if you aren't in the bridal party..then i say..just wait. Get it a few weeks prior and that gives you time if you need any minor adjustments. If you are in the bridal party and have to order now...get your current size. You can always have a dress taken in. Besides, depending on where you loose the weight, you may be the current size in the bust area but smaller in the waist area. So who care if the bridal dress is not the current size you are at, during that time...its just a number anyways. And also remember this, bridal dresses are always small. When i got measured for a bridemaids dress a few years ago, i was a size 12 jeans. But they ordered a size 20 dress (yikes!!!!) since i'm so big busted. Everything from the bust down was altered to a smaller size. Its always easier to take a dress in...but darn near impossible to let a dress out!!!!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you shop carefully, you can find a flattering dress (not just a sack) that fits now, but will still fit and great if you lose weight.

I shop Woman Within (was part of Lane Bryant), Roaman's, and Jessica London. Each store has their own online store but there's also a one stop shop store -- and BCOutlet.com (discount and clearance).

They have some very beautiful soft flowy skirts with drawstring waists. Because the fabric is soft and drapes so beautifully, even if you lose a ton of weight they still look great. A simple shell or tunic style top in a drapey fabric will also have a lot of weight loss leeway, and even if it has to be taken in, the job will be a piece of cake. A fitted dress is harder to take in.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I'm not part of the party, so I'll wait a bit longer before I buy my dress. I'm so used to dreading clothes shopping that I just wanted to get it out of the way LOL
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote