Exercise! - Water Aerobics

View Full Version : Water Aerobics

Kamily828
03-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Has anyone tried water aerobics? What did you think of it? Exactly what did it involve? Im not a good swimmer.

The local college is offering water aerobics $3 for a 1 hour class. Im interested in doing this. I think it would be easier on me than walking. My knees, ankles, back and hips are killing me! Just walking thru the grocery store or at the walking trail hurts. Ive hobbled around here moaning and complaining the past couple days because it hurts to move.
I suffer from Fibromyalgia and bone spurs on both of my heels.

Also...How many calories would a 1 hour class burn?

Sheila53
03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I have been doing water aerobics for quite a while now. I go to a class two to three times a week in addition to doing other aerobic exercise. It's great for people with joint problems and fibromyalgia--my class has several people with fibromyalgia. If you're doing deep water aerobics, you will use a floatation device so you don't have to worry about being a swimmer at all. According to Fitday, water aerobics burns 3 calories a minute for a person of my weight (I'm assuming Fitday adjusts for weight??).

Edited to answer your other question about what's involved: Most of what you do in water aerobics is what you'd do on land. We "run" through the water, cross country ski, do jumping jacks, etc. We do moves that involve traveling through the water and ones that involve staying in one place. Staying in one place works the core muscles in addition to being aerobic.

I highly recommend water aerobics, especially if you have physical problems. Try it and let us know!

Kamily828
03-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks so much Sheila!! This sounds perfect for me.

The pool is currently closed due to remodeling. They are having a grand reopening Monday the 12th. I emailed the aquatic director asking 1001 questions. She hasnt responded yet. I may just show up Monday and get all the info.

Ilene
03-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Absolutely, give it a try... It's a lot of fun and the cameradery is awesome... I did a few classes a couple of years ago...

Kamily828
03-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks Ilene. Im looking forward to trying it.

Kamily828
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I checked the newspaper today. In honor of the grand reopening, all classes are FREE this coming week!!! That way I can go try it out and see if I like it and dont have to pay anything!!!!

Ilene
03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow that's great Anita, take advantage of that :yes: