Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Default short fat help!!

Why are all plus sized clothes designed for tall women? I am only 5'2" and both tops and bottoms are tooooo long. Even petite pants. Anyone have a good store for us short fat girls?
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I am 5'3" and generally find petite lenghts just right. I guess the extra inch in my favor helps alot. Sorry, going off track. Have you thought about finding a tailor to make minor adjustments? I have a sister who is kind enough to hem my pants when they are too long. Other than that, two of my biggest peeves is finding plus sized petite clothing that is age appropriate. I am in my 30's and I don't wanna look like some matronly grandma. The 2nd issue I have is that not all plus-sized women have large breasts! Some of the tops I have bought have just too much room in the front, and I've got little to nothing to put in them.

I usually can find clothes at Lane Bryant or the LB outlet (overpriced most of the time but I always check out the clearance racks), Catherine's (which IMO carries the most matronly stuff, but I do find some good dress pants there) and maybe Avenue. Even your usual JC Penney's carries a pretty good selection of plus sized petites. All of these stores are not found in my home town and I have to travel to the "mainland" to get them. Other than that, go searching on the internet, there has got to be something out there for you.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

I have shopped at all of those stores and find some stuff. I agree with the big breast issue!! I used to have those big breasts (had a reduction) and now I still have the tummy and the hips! The tops just fall off of my shoulders.

I have the matronly issue to. I am only 35 for crying out loud! Are short fat women supposed to be old too??

I have been taking my pants to be hemmed, but gets awfully expensive. I need to get some shirts done and that will be even more expensive! I usually by capri pants and 3/4 length shirts as these fit like normal. Well the pants still look a bit capri (at the ankle) - any real dress pants I always have to have hemmed.

Must be hard to have to travel so far to try on clothes! But I found Wal-Mart to be a good place in Hawaii to shop. I was there last year and found the plus-size department there to be much better than here. Much more of a selection.
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 AM   #4  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Wal-Mart is like my 2nd home I was just chatting on another thread and said that when I die I want to be cremated--and my husband says he will scatter some of my ashes in Wal-Mart

I'm 35 as well, I just didn't wanna type that in...because well, it still shocks me that I'm 35 I feel like I'm 17 I hear you completely on the buying capris to be 'normal' length pants, they are so much more of a godsend than the 'short' lengths are. But the thing is, I love to wear long pants, I mean all the way down past your ankle pants because they make my legs look longer and I need all the help I can get.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think I have the opposite problem with LB in that it seems like they make clothes for girls that want to show off a lot of skin. Can we have some stylish but not over the top clothes please?

I have short legs but petite pants usually do well on me. I have a long waist though so I need longer tops so I don't usually have a problem with plus size tops. Some tops I do find are too short for me but those usually come from department stores. I say try all the stores out that you can. Shop clearance racks and use coupons when you can. Try looking for plus petite clothes which generally exist in department stores. Macy's and Lord & Taylor are two of my favorite places for finding good clothes. Dillards also has some good clothes although I no longer live near any of their stores.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #6  

hi, im from the uk and i have the same problem. some shops do stock some petit/ outsize stock but in many of the shops a petit trouser/jean length is
30", which is still too long. i need a 28" max. i bought some short length jeans the other day that a friend kindly offered to take up - 2 and a half ". its a right pain. im only 5`1". mad
madaboutbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/223/135

Height: 5' 4"

I find that Old Navy capri pants and the bermuda or long shorts fit just fine as capri's, albeit longer than average capris. Their regular pants all seem to be made for people with extremely long legs.

The only problem is that they don't make a lot of "plain" styles. The one plain "Women's Twill Capris" flat front they offered this season (in 4 nice colors) sold out in everything over a size 8 almost immediately.

They have a couple of other styles (like the roll-ups) that are attractive on someone who isn't a teenager (I'm 47), but are just too sporty looking for work.

Tommy Bahama pants fit very well and their sizes run quite large.
HobokenLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 369/298/145

Height: 5'1

I'm new here but I fit this short thing perfectly & have all the same problems & I had to throw in my shopping 2 cents! I buy from Roaman's, they have an online site for shopping, their quick to ship & great about returns & have alot of "cute" younger clothes styles, not to mention their in the same family as LB & accept LB's credit & they have alot of spin off catalogs under the name as well so there are alot of choices.
AnnaHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/172/130

Height: 5.0

Default oh i can so relate, and i live in the boonies to top it

off, so my choices are so limited. I am only 5 feet tall, so i have a hard time with pants and skirts. But tops too, as I have that dreaded hanging belly apron...i hate to have that hanging out under my shirt. so I end up buying shirts a size larger usually, so they hang off my shoulders or are way too long in the sleeves...ugh! I'm only 41 too, and while I want age appropriate, it seems like there is so little in between teenybopper and grandma....sigh...I too feel way younger lol! my kids are still little which is a rarity here, it seems like most people my age have grown kids/grandkids. my youngest is still in preschool and my oldest is only 12. They keep me young. but i guess i am looking my age, because people question whether emmy is mine or my grandchild lol! oh well.....
i'm hoping when the weight is finally off, i will have more choices.
just commisserating as i have nothing to offer store wise....good luck!
hugs
tracyg
tracyg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #10  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Honey, I have a 26 1/2 inch inseam. I feel your pain. Try Boscov's. They have a website. They specialize in petite sizes juniors, misses, plus size. Everything!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #11  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Hmmm..I have never had a problem with Old Navy's pants being too long. I wear an 18-20 and the "petite" style usually has about a 28 inch inseem.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote