100 lb. Club - When did you get serious?

View Full Version : When did you get serious?

SexyRevealed
03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm just curious as to when everyone got serious about losing the weight. I started on Jan 1st (like so many others), but I really didn't get focused until Jan 22nd. So I'm counting that as my anniversary. So I'm about 6 1/2 weeks into my new healthy lifestyle. :carrot:

When did you get serious about making your lifestyle change?

Angihas2
03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Around Nov? I think. I had made a few forays onto this site. As I've stated before, April of 2006, I started eating healthier and paying more attn to how much I moved and what I was eating, but the actual weight loss mindset didn't hit my head until November.

royalsfan1
03-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Sexy - we're so close! I count my official start day as Jan 21! Unofficially, I first found this site last summer sometime but the motivation quickly faded. NOT THIS TIME!

sharonrr
03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
My official first recorded weigh in day was Wednesday Jan. 10th of this year.
So it will be 8 weeks. I have been at a plateau for the last week. I weigh in today and we will see if I have lost anything.

SexyRevealed
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Sexy - we're so close! I count my official start day as Jan 21! Unofficially, I first found this site last summer sometime but the motivation quickly faded. NOT THIS TIME!

I agree! NOT THIS TIME!!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

jennylou
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
12/27/06. I uploaded the digital pictures from Christmas on the 26th and was horrified.

rockinrobin
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
A day I will ALWAYS celebrate as my RE-BIRTH-DAY. September 4, 2006. The day has so much meaning to me that as I am sitting here and typing it, my eyes are filling up with tears. Very, very emotional for me. Okay, now I'm just bawling.

SexyRevealed
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
A day I will ALWAYS celebrate as my RE-BIRTH-DAY. September 4, 2006. The day has so much meaning to me that as I am sitting here and typing it, my eyes are filling up with tears. Very, very emotional for me. Okay, now I'm just bawling.

I like that - Re-birth-day! Those better be tears of joy - you just had your 6 month anniversary!!! :carrot: Congrats on your success. You are such an inspiration!

Obsidianbbw
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Aug 30th 2006, finally discovered a plan I could work with.

Slashnl
03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Mine had to be 2/21/07. I had spent the day trying to keep my pantyhose from rolling down on my fat stomach and as I was reading O magazine, I read about this site. I felt such a relief to have someone to go to for support, I could feel the difference. I know it isn't a long time yet, but I can't believe how good it feels to read other posts and FINALLY have people who can relate. (Not much for support/understanding at home or work)
How cool is that!?!!

Robin - You're the best. Your emotion and feelings come through so clearly through your written word. :cry:

rockinrobin
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Those better be tears of joy -

Well yes, they mostly are. My life is so much more full of joy now with soooo many less worries. I am a much happier person. But there are a few tears of sadness as well. For spending so many years being so miserable and unhappy and unhealthy when I just as easily could have had MORE years full of pleasure and happiness and activity and participation in life.

And thank you Slashnl. I sometimes think my words get all messed up when I type them. Come to think of it they get messed up sometimes when I just say them as well. I'm glad you found this place reading O magazine. For yourself first and foremost and for selfish reasons as well, you're a great member of this team.

Kamily828
03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
After seeing some recent pics of me. I was disgusted. :barf:

Meg
03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Isn't it interesting that many of us can remember an exact day? :) For me it was June 1, 2001 and I get as emotional about it as you do, Robin. I was one of those who changed everything overnight, like you did, and it was truly like dying and being reborn (even though that sounds overly dramatic.)

I'll always remember May 12, 2002 too. :D

shrinkingchica
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Round about late Aug. 2004. I don't have an exact date. Just a two week range. ;)

jtammy
03-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Meg, what was May 12, 2002?

August 20, 2005 was the day I had to face reality on the scale. I waffled around for a couple of weeks trying to decide what to do, but that is still the date my new life began.

LadySue
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
On feb 8 I went to my rheumatologist, I had reached my all time greatest weight of 292. I had gained 5 pounds in under six monthes. If I continued to gain wt at that frequency I would weigh more then 350 by age forty.

3 days later I had a quiet few hours (rare with my 2 active boys), and was just surfing the net. I had been here a time or two but not in a while. I had not put any real effort into wt loss in adulthood. When I did it typically lasted less the a week or two.

I felt really encouraged. I read some, and remembered a lot. I have read a lot of wt loss books, I've just never attempted to lose wt. So I went to the kitchen and was able to plan the next several days. This time I really feel God is with me, because without His help I would never had stayed with it this long.

It is the beginning of a long journey, that for the first time, I dont dread.

royalsfan1
03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Lady Sue - you're so right and I'm so glad you found this site, too. I love you're quote at the bottom. One I've always heard is "the early bird may get the worm but the early worm gets eaten!" :D

Meg - seeing your starting weight and your goal weight so close to mine really hit home with me. It made me realize that I could be at my goal by next Christmas. WOW. What a GREAT thought that is!

LakeGirl
03-07-2007, 10:36 PM
I had never really thought of having a date but after reading all your posts, I realized I needed to figure it out! I'm venturing it was somewhere around January 3rd. Another New Year's resolution and I gradually got more serious about it the two weeks after that. I've always hated to cook but I found myself searching for new recipes, ordering cookbooks from eBay and actually enjoying it!

boaterswife
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
August 8, 2006. The day I'll never forget. Doctor's visit from He##, and I went from "someday I'll get around to it" to "this is it, today is the day". You guys are right, that date will be engrained in my head as well as my own kids birthdays!

HarpoChicoGroucho
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Another June 1 (2005) -- I really tried (;)) to get into it Jan. 1 of that year, but it took six months of mental prepartation -- well, that's what I say anyway. I hadn't realized I'm approaching my 2 year anniversary -- it's great motivation to finish losing the weight.

SexyRevealed
03-07-2007, 11:14 PM
It is the beginning of a long journey, that for the first time, I dont dread.

Wonderfully stated! I feel like these next couple of years will be the most exciting time of my life!

rockinrobin
03-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Tammy, looking at Meg's signature, I believe May 12, 2002 is when she hit her goal weight.

Glory87
03-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Isn't it interesting that most of us can remember an exact day? :) For me it was June 1, 2001 and I get as emotional about it as you do, Robin. I was one of those who changed everything overnight, like you did, and it was truly like dying and being reborn (even though that sounds overly dramatic.)

Like Robin and Meg, mine was a very specific day as well - July 14, 2004. Several things weight-related had been swirling inside me for a couple of weeks (size 18 jeans were too tight, Mom wanted me to come visit at Christmas, cut my leg in a ladies room stall because I was too fat), and I was in a bookstore browsing and picked up Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Will Save Your Life. It was a completely electric moment, all of a sudden my whole weight loss history was crystal clear, I was heavy because I ate too many of the wrong foods. Eat more of the right foods, eat for my health, change the way I eat forever, it really was a weird "lightning bolt" moment. Bought the book, changed everything about the way I eat (it was pretty radical, but it has slowly evolved over time to be even more beneficial for me!).

I don't get teary about it ;) but it's definitely huge huge huge huge for me. Can't believe it's been almost 3 years. I sure wish I had figured this out 20 years ago. I spent a lot of time miserable with my body and hating myself.

Cheryl14
03-08-2007, 07:40 AM
I actually have TWO memorable dates. The first was my "OH SH**!" moment when I saw myself in the family Christmas pictures and was COMPLETELY DISGUSTED with myself. That was December 28, 2000. It was on that day that I KNEW I had to do MANY THINGS to change my life! I began watching calories and fats and drinking water instead of soda on that day. It was also the day that I began my first of now SIX journals to help me get a handle on my life, my weight loss, my thoughts, my emotions, my progress, my slipups, etc.

My second memorable date was February 9, 2001. That was the day that I realized that my husband had the car and my library books were due at the library. I WALKED the mile to the library from school to return them AND walked back -all on my lunchbreak. That was the first time that I had WALKED rather than driven to get something or do something. It was VERY EMPOWERING! It was also the first time that I had used my newly-developed walking skills as a TOOL to help me get to where I needed to get! HUGE STUFF here!

My progress since December 28, 2000 has NOT been steady or even, and I have committed myself over and over again since then. There have been many ups and downs of weight over that time, but with each slipup and recovery I have become stronger and more focused on my goal.

My most recent commitment date-to-remember is August 18, 2005. On that date I made the commitment to lose 100 pounds so that I could weigh on MY SON'S wedding day what I weighed on MY OWN wedding day thirty-one years ago. He'll be married on that date this year, and I hope to reach my goal of weighing 160 by then.

Cheryl

GirlyGirlSebas
03-08-2007, 08:12 AM
I have been overweight since I was young, around 9 or 10. For me, dieting has been my lifestyle. I've always been reading and researching diets. Over the years, I've spent a fortune on diet books, products and programs. Over the last 3 years, I've tried numerous diets....Weight Watchers, Atkins, Dr. Phil's, Slim Fast, etc. All of the diets worked initially, then they would stop working for me.

I joined 3FC in November 2006 on yet another search for the "magic" plan that would allow me to lose the weight. Because, I just have so many metabolism issues and I have to find the perfect diet plan! ;) I spent two months on 3FC just reading the threads and enjoying the company, but I wasnt attempting to tackle the weight issue as I hadnt found that perfect plan yet. January 1st brought yet another chance for a weight loss resolution, however, this time I've followed through. No, I havent found that magic diet plan. Rather, I've discovered quite a few things about myself and this journey. I will always need to exercise. I will always need to eat wholesome foods in moderation. And, all "diets" will quit working when I start eating off-plan and quit exercising! Yes, I do have to fight insulin resistance and my weight loss might be slower than some of my 3FC friends. But, I am committed to doing this and will not quit this time.

Thank you, 3FC Friends for providing the encouragement for me to keep with this new lifestyle! I look forward to signing on each day.

sharonrr
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Thank you for starting this post. Who would of thought such a simple question would create so many fantastic answers. YOU are all amazing people. You all inspire me everyday.;)

Mrs Quadcrew
03-08-2007, 09:23 AM
My date is Dec. 29, 2006. I knew I had to do somethinig. I KNEW I didn't want it to be another "new year's resolution" kind of thing - I had bought YOU on a Diet and Superfoods RX ~ and from that point - I have completely changed my life and my way of eating. I finally UNDERSTOOD how my body worked, and what I needed to do. And now, 10 weeks later, I am still amazed at how my body works. I cut all the bad stuff completely out, and have no desire to eat it. It is like a miracle to me, and it was so easy. I now know the rest of my life will be so much better than the last 20 years ~ and I am looking forward to seeing less of me each week!

nelie
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
I can't remember the exact date although I think it was May 5th 2004, definitely sometime in May.

I had just fallen down the stairs and twisted my knee. I had gone to the doctor and nothing seriously was wrong but I went to a physical therapist who told me what exercises I needed to do. I told myself enough is enough and I needed to lose weight and be healthy. I also needed to instill confidence in myself. I've struggled and I wish I could've lost more weight than I have at this point but I was happy to lose the initial weight I did, then maintain that weight loss and lose a little more last year. This year I have a goal of losing 30 lbs total and I really need to make that goal. I will get to my overall weight loss goal but it just may take some time. I have my own demons to flush out in the process.

Shellyknits
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Mine would definately be Jan 30, 2007 when I ended up in the hospital face to face with a cardiologist who told me, "you're okay now, but you'll be seeing me later unless you change your life dramatically." At 43 yo that scared me straight! He told me that in 6 weeks I'd feel like a new woman. You know what? I do. (dang, I hate it when a doctor is right!)

Charbar
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I get serious every Monday :rofl:
Seriously, I think I've gotten serious so many times, it's not funny.

All I can say is that this time has been the longest. Usually I'll post in fitday for maybe a week.. that's it.

My anniversay is January 15th 2007 - almost 2 months. So far I'm really disappointed my weight lose. I need to kick things up. I'm not going to make my March 15th goal and that really does suck. I hate that. But don't worry... I'm here to stay. I have some butt kicking to do!

meowee
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Like Nelie, my epiphany involved a fall.

Like so many I had started once again on the 1st of January 2006; already convinced that it would be a miracle if I made it past Easter (my usual max out point).

HOWEVER . . . about a week later, I was cleaning the kitty litter, turned around, tripped over my own shoe and fell flat on my backside. Didn't really hurt myself, but between the excess weight and my really bad arthritic knees, I couldn't get up. Oh wow. After about 15 minutes of wondering what I was going to do, I finally sort of butt-walked over to the stairs and was able to use them to get myself back on my feet; and, although, I'd prefer not to put the situation to a test since I still have the same bad knees, I'd imagine having less weight would make things a bit easier now.

No where to go but onward and downward, girls. Keep doing the good stuff.

bizlawchik
03-08-2007, 04:22 PM
March 29, 2006. I had been in a job that over the previous 8 years I had put on over 100 lbs. In February 2006 I gave my notice, left the job, started a new job and traveled because my grandfather was passing away. I knew in January it was time and that I was going to do something but wanted to get past February first. On March 29th, on a whim I called LA Weight Loss and asked about the program. I was set up for a consultation that day. I was going to get the information and think about it, but once I was there I had my a-ha moment that I needed to do this and do it now. I signed up for a few weeks with a promise that I could quit if it didn't work for me or if I didn't like the program. I haven't looked back since.

sportmom
03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
September 1, 2006 for me. I had a series of "get real" moments, like twisting my ankle putting up holiday decorations the year before, having kids old enough that they might soon be teased about their mom, wanting to be more active with the kids, real stuff like that. I finally decided that as I was shipping them off to school again, my project for the school year would be myself. That by the time the school year was over, I would be at my first goal of 175. I think I still have time to make it, but even if not, I'm alot better off than where I was on 9/1. Snow days keep extending the school year, so I have until June 20, which should be just about right.

wchs2007
03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Feb 20 2006...
I just got tired of being tired...
Today I have lost 105 lbs.. The last 5 I play with.. up 3 and down 3..
I still need to take off more.. I am a size14/16 in most things.. I was a size 26/28..

finn
03-12-2007, 06:08 AM
March 6th 2006 for me - a day I'll never forget.