Alternachicks - Best small, portable MP3 player???

Rockrz
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm going to be buying a small, portable MP3 player soon. I need something I can easily clip onto my belt so I can wear it while exercising (getting tired of bulky CD players that skip)

So, I've been over to epinions.com/MP3_and_Digital_Media_Players to read reviews and that looks like an all day job in itself.

Does anyone have any recommendations, based on experience (meaning you are currently using the unit you are recommending), for one of these?

I wanted to keep the budget at about $150, or less and I'd like to get one that has a battery that can be changed by the user (I understand that this eliminates the iPod)

Any links to something you would recommend would be appreciated as I want to research whatever I buy before I buy it.

sumisan
03-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Ok I am cheap I bought one off tiger direct with a rebate and ended up paying something like $20 .... I like it alot because of that haha

cytheria21
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Actually, you can get an iPod for about 150$. Check out the Apple website. I have actually (sadly) bought two other mp3 players and I hated them. The iPod is a lot easier to use, in my opinion, and the nano is very small. If your a runner, you can even purchase a kit with a chip that fits into nike shoes that will track your runs and running stats. You can purchase a thing that would keep it around your arm, and I'm sure they also have a belt clip on the apple website.

Rockrz
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I'll check out Tiger Direct.
I totally forgot about those guys.

I don't want an iPod because when the battery goes out, you have to buy a whole new unit. (owners cannot change out the battery because it's designed to be un-servicable)

sumisan
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I got the little red cylinder one (dont know the brand LOL) my hubby got a square black one. The red one only takes one AAA battery and lasts alot longer than his which takes 2! Be sure to check the reviews on there, one thing i like about them lol

compscinerdgirl
03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I understand what you're saying about the battery, but I am very happy with my itty bitty little iPod shuffle (which you can get for about 80 bucks). It weighs practically nothing and comes with a clip integrated so that you can clip it on your shirt, belt, etc. Works great for me at the gym because I can move from machine to machine.

baffled111
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first time peeping into this forum, but I want to plug my mp3 player. I have an Iaudio U2; I just upgraded from the 512mb model to the 2 gb model (currently around $90 on Newegg). It's fantastic! Great sound, very sturdy and with good features. The batteries are not user-replaceable, but they last about 20 hours before needing to be recharged. Personally, I actually find it more convenient than using actual batteries.

One of the best things about the U2 is its size. They are about the same size as a cigarette lighter, and very light. If I am not wearing pants with pockets, I tuck mine into my waistband, and it is light enough to stay there securely.

Resist the Ipod, I say :)

busysinglemom
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I have an ipod nano and I love it. You charge the battery by plugging the USB cable into your computer. I had a Rio prior to the ipod and I was forever buying AAA's. The battery would drain even when it was off. The only thing I don't like about the ipod was that I couldn't charge in on my laptop. They make an adapter for a wall plug that runs about $40, but I bought a generic brand that works just fine for $16.

Hope this helps!

Rockrz
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
The batteries are not user-replaceableIsn't it going to be irritating to you when the battery wears out that you are going to have to buy a whole new unit?

I'd like to find one that uses a litho battery (or, whatever they are called) that are more like permanent batteries, like a watch would have.

These would last alot longer than using AAA batteries, but when they do finally die, you can buy a new battery to put in...as opposed to having to buy an entire new player.

That's just irritates me for some reason, probably because I'm an auto technician by trade. I cannot image having to buy a car and if the battery dies, I'd have to buy a whole new car :dizzy:

baffled111
03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
"Isn't it going to be irritating to you when the battery wears out that you are going to have to buy a whole new unit?"

Well, I guess that depends on your perspective. My 512mb U2, which I had for 2 years, was only just starting to lose its battery life when I decided to upgrade. And I use it ALOT--at least 6-10 hours a day. (What can I say? I love my MP3 player!). For ordinary use, the battery is not going to degrade significantly for *at least* 3 years (and if after three years you're only getting 14 hours rather than 20, it's hardly the end of the world).

For me, an MP3 player is essential enough that if I have to spend $80 every two or four years for a new one, well, that just seems like a reasonable expense. It would be different if we were talking about a $300 40gb ipod, but for $80-$100 every couple of years, and an MP3 player that I love, I'm can live with that. (And I couldn't survive without an MP3 player!)

Rockrz
03-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I guess it comes down to personal preference.

To me, it's not necessary for them manufacture these units where the battery cannot be changed. They only reason they do that is to make more money.

But, if you'res is working good for you, I can see why you would be happy with it. Some things in life you just gotta have due to the benefits they provide.

I'm that way with computer hard drives...I change out my primary C drive every 2 years to avoid ever having to deal with hard drive failure, plus I have several extra drives I back-up to.
Cause I'm back-up happy:carrot:

Christina7806
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I have an iPod and, yes, it is true you cannot change the battery but you don't need to buy a new one. You send it back to Apple and they send you a new iPod for $65.95. This may be a bit expensive but you are getting a brand new iPod with no scratches or dings, with a brand new battery. I have a 30GB so it is worth it to me. :)

rai
03-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I currently have a Creative Labs MuVO TX mp3 player (512 MB). I love it and it has a radio tuner. I like to have the option of listening to the radio. It takes one AAA battery and it's dimensions is about 1" x 2" (2" is the length and 1" is the width). Although I love it, I think I'm going to upgrade to a nano because I don't want to deal with the battery life issue. The battery drains even if the unit is turned off, so I always have to take the battery out after I use it. If I do this, I can get about 3 weeks out of the battery.

WaterRat
03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a 2 year old Creative Zen Jukebox - 40 GB - and while it's bigger and heavier than a lot - it has (a) tons of space (I'm an audiobook junkie) and (b) a user replaceable battery. I use it every day. My biggest complaint is that while it has a user replaceable battery (a rectangular lithium one), it is charged in the player. I'd love to find a separate charger for it like I have for a similar battery in my digital camera.

That being said, I also have an iPod Nano (gift) that I love for the gym. Since it's only a 1gb, I swap stuff on and off it a lot, but I find iTunes easier to use than the interface with my bigger player. And the menus on the nano are good. I also bought a generic plug-in charger so I can take the little devil on trips where I don't have access to a PC. :)

baffled111
03-06-2007, 06:04 PM
WaterRat: I'm also an audio book junkie! This is the reason I decided to upgrade to the 2gb U2--I can keep several audio book options on it, AND a giant folder for my gym music. <grins> Hooray for technology!

cytheria21
03-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I looove audio books! They are good for long walks on/off the treadmill.

baffled111
03-07-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't listen to them at the gym--need the music to keep me working really hard--but I do listen to them the rest of the time; whenever I'm using my body but not my brain. So when I'm cooking, or doing housework, or walking the dog, I'm listening to audio books. Love 'em!

lizziness
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I had a rio. It never worked quite right and then it died after less than 2 years. I'm currently contemplating what to get next myself... The part you put the battery into wasn't "reading" that a battery was in, no power = no music.:( Couldn't figure out how to fix it.

We use rechargeable batteries,there is always one ready, I kept an extra in my bag. Mine seemed to last a long time, but I only used mine on average 20 minutes a day, maybe a little more. It was mostly used as a Lizzie/Crazy boundary while I ride the bus.:)

WaterRat
03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
So, I'm curious. How do you gals get your audiobooks? Reason I ask is that I'm a librarian. I used to listen to books on tape/CD in the car all the time. Then I got my MP3 and started downloading from Audible . com. Last December our library started offering free downloadable books. It has been a huge success. Do the rest of you use this service through your libraries?

KylieH
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
I have an ipod nano and I love it. You charge the battery by plugging the USB cable into your computer. I had a Rio prior to the ipod and I was forever buying AAA's. The battery would drain even when it was off.

I did the exact same thing! I got tired of buying batteries for my Rio, too. So, I bought an iPod Nano. It's extremely easy to use and I love it. I wouldn't change to anything else.

srmb60
05-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty technologically impaired. My son tells me I need something that has about 1G and is easy to set on shuffle.
The one I have right now has about 17 songs and I can turn it on and off and I can skip! Ahead and backwards ;)

walking2lose
05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I get what you are saying about Ipod because my husband and I did have one of the first ones, and yes, it did eventually die. We were so depressed!

However, I got a 2G ipod nano for my birthday in February and LOVE it. We bought it on ebay for $118.00 - brand new with warranty. I do not know anyone who has a nano that has 'died' although the earlier Ipod models were notorious for it. It's the perfect size for working out, holds plenty for me, and is very easy to use.

Susan, from your son's description of what you need, I would say the Ipod shuffle would be ideal for you. It's very small and light and all of my friends who have them LOVE using them to work out.

Jennifer 3FC
07-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm sure you've bought your mp3 player already, but this may be helpful to somebody else browsing the forum...

I'm not sure about the battery on my mp3 player, but I have a Samsung that I love. I bought it at Best Buy for less than $100, and it looks like a money clip. It clips on my shirt sleeve, and it is so small and lightweight that it doesn't flop around while I exercise. I love it, and if it ever wears out, I'll buy another one just like it. It is about 2.5 inches long, about 1/2 inch thick, and very light. No bells and whistles like movies and color screens, but I don't need it. And the sound is good, too. I can't remember who made my first one - I think it was Creative Labs, and there was no bass, and the sound quality wasn't good. No problems at all with my Samsung.

The batteries are not removable, but it does recharge on my computer, and hopefully it has a rechargeable battery that I can replace. I'm thinking it does, because I was also turned off by the iPod battery situation and I wanted something more permanent. I actually thought the iPod was replaceable, but only by them. I had it in my head that the thing gets mailed off, battery replaced, and returned - and I didn't want to do without my mp3 player for a week waiting on a battery. :shrug:

sockmonkey70
08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I support the iPod shuffle. It's tiny....It clips onto your clothes..it has enough space to fit more than enough songs to exercise to...I <3 my shuffle.