03-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Focus on eggs:

how do you cook them?
how often do you eat them?
what do you add to them?
what kind do you buy?

tell me everything you do with eggs!

me?
I buy egg whites and make a low cal/low fat omlet! with frozen pepper mix w/ onions. Sometimes I will add a little sharp cheddar. Filling.

For the rest of my family when make scrambled eggs I will mix in some of my egg whites - they can't even tell!

I also use egg whites to bake with.

(if you have a food of the week you want to focus on please pm me.. thanks!)

bizlawchik
03-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Eggbeaters or eggs, 1 slice 2% rf cheese on LaTortilla Factory tortilla.

I spray a 2c plastic bowl (the kind that your chinese soup comes in) with Pam, and put in the eggs, Morton's lite salt and pepper. I bring it to work and microwave it for about 45 seconds. I can get it ready the night before and it's ready to go. Add a piece of fruit and you have a great breakfast on the go.

Also, low fat egg salad:
2 hard boiled eggs, 1T lite mayo, yellow mustard, dash of salt and pepper. I blend it in the Magic Bullet and bring to work. Serve with whole wheat pita (4" ones) or the tortilla. Add a salad w/Salad Sprtizer, and a few baby carrots and you've got lunch.

nelie
03-05-2007, 09:33 AM
You know, eggs are something I love but I tend not to eat them. I love hard boiled eggs and I can down 3 of them without thinking. I really want to get back into the South Beach egg muffins. You put eggs, cheese and veggies in a muffin pan, bake them ahead of time then reheat when you want to eat them.

Shellyknits
03-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Ugh eggs. Being 6 weeks into South Beach, I'm getting pretty tired of eggs! I have never been a breakfast eater and for those first 2 weeks of phase 1 having eggs every morning was one of my biggest challenges ever! Truth be told, I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs. I have found that they are a really quick and convenient protein source. I'm a busy homeschooling mom (how does it happen that we are hardly home and mostly in the car!) and a hard boiled egg travels well! Easy to make in advance too.

We've had some crustless quiche type of stuff for dinners. I'll be really interested to know what everyone else is doing with their eggs!

Thanks!

kaplods
03-05-2007, 09:39 AM
I almost bought reduced cholesterol, Omega-3 enhanced eggs (I think they feed the chickens fish meal to raise the Omega-3) this week, but saw they were three times as expensive as regular eggs. I bought regular Grade A eggs.

I buy the cheapest Grade A large eggs I can get at Walmart or Aldi. Where I shop, it's almost always cheaper to buy eggs and throw away the yolks than it is to buy the whites so that is what I do.

Actually, I don't like egg-white only scrambled eggs or omeletes, so I usually add one whole egg to 3 or 4 whites, if I'm cooking for myself. And one whole egg to 2 or 3 whites when cooking for myself and my husband. He would never have eaten them if I had told him what I was doing, as he "hates" egg whites. Now he knows and when I make scrambled eggs, he'll ask that I not "add too many egg whites." It's obviously the color more than anything though, as he will eat "egg beaters," and not even know the difference, at least if I add onion, mushroom, or other seasonings to them.

Angihas2
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I buy brown eggs, I just think they taste alot better.

I use a 3:1 ratio for whites and whole eggs. Scrambled, toss in cheese, mushrooms, peppers and I am a happy camper. I grew up with a stepdad who is Mexican and from him got my love for burrito styled foods. I use flatbread or pita's now, although we found some 50 calories white corn tortillas that I love! If I can fit it into the tortilla, that's how I eat it. Cover with salsa and my morning is complete!

Mrs Quadcrew
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I am with Angi - the brown eggs are richer tasting. I use one egg and 2 or 3 whites to make my scrambled eggs or omlets too.

SexyRevealed
03-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I use 1 egg and 2 egg whites as well, usually on a slice of whole wheat toast with some canadian bacon and cheese. Yum!

rockinrobin
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm not an egg lover.

Although, I went through an egg white omlette stage. What I did was saute a bunch of veggies, like onions, peppers, spinach and mushrooms. I made enough for 5 days worth or so. In a small non stick frying pan I would spray some cooking spray and would make a omlette using the whites only of 3 extra large eggs. And then I would put in my pre-made veggies. Actually talking (writing) about it is kinda putting me in the mood for it. They certainly are healthy enough, lots of protein, little calories.

junebug41
03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Ok. I know this isn't my "forum", but I saw EGGS and had to come running over! I love them! I could survive on sprouts alone if I didn't love eggs so darn much! For me, egg white omelettes with mushroom, hot sauce/salse, and cheese if the right kind is around.

I heart eggs.

finn
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I only buy free range organic eggs and use them hard boiled in salads with salad cream, poached on soda bread, poached on some spinach and mushrooms or just plain scrambled on toast.

We don't get eggbeaters over here and I've no clue what they are? We don't get egg white only cartons either...its whole fresh eggs or nothing!

royalsfan1
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I tried the Kroger brand of egg-beaters and had an issue with them being watery after cooked...they made my tortilla soggy. Has anyone had this happen? I was very disappointed. Also, they didn't seem to have the same flavor and I really found myself wanting to add salt. I intend to keep playing with them and see if I can do anything that I like.

When you use non-stick you can easily fry and egg with just a spray of oil. I like doing that and putting it on top of a cheese toast. I find that even though the calories go up a bit due to the cheese, it's a very filling breakfast. ..and very satisfying tastewise. My worst times are when I eat something that doesn't taste so great...then I want to go "fix" the taste in my mouth with something really yummy (and really off plan!).

penor
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Egg Beaters here too. Every morning. 1/4 cup scrambled with my turkey sausage cut up into it. My grandma used to fix them for my grandpa when I was a kid and I used to eat them then. I love Egg beaters.

trishn222
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
A couple of things that I do with eggs are, when I make fajitas, I make extra fajita veggies and then toss some in with my eggs. I also the the mushroom, onion, fresh spinach and bacon bits thing with my eggs. I really like them in a tortilla with salsa and either of those combos in there with them. I also do the one egg two egg white omelet thing.

Trish

Goddess Jessica
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Mini-Frittatas
(Once you understand the concept of the recipe, you can do it with any combination of vegetables or meat - I've made ham and cheese, brie and asparagus, etc. This recipe will start you out).

Egg Whites, EggBeaters or a combination of whites and yolks
Goat Cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes, Chopped
Frozen Chopped Spinach
Chopped Garlic
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat Oven to 350F.

Spray a muffin tin with a non-stick spray like PAM.

Loosely fill each muffin compartment 2/3rds full with combination of all of the vegetables and cheese.

Pour in the eggs leaving a little room at the top (about 2/3rds). Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Bake in the oven for around 20-30 minutes. They will poof up (and flatten when they cool).

Once cooled you can pop them out of the muffin tin and put in the refrigerator to eat for breakfast for the rest of the week. I pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.

Also, if you're the type that gets bored if you have the same thing for breakfast every day, you don't have to fill the cups with the same vegetables. One muffin can be spinach, another turkey sausage and peppers, etc.

Cheryl14
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
My new favorite breakfast is 1/2 cup of Eggbeaters mixed with a green onion or fresh chives and 1/4 cup mozzarella. I add Italian herb seasoning and garlic powder and pepper. With that I have a bowl of strawberries and yogurt. It is a filling yet low-calorie breakfast. YUM!!!

Cheryl

CyberGypsy
03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Here is a israeli recipe for shasuka that is awesome.....
chopped onions
fresh tomatos
Eggs and pita
Garlic if wanted....

brown onions in olive oil,cut tomatos in pieces and put in frying pan cover on low till they get mushy,add garlic if you want and put eggs on top 2or 3, then cover and simmer 20 minutes... love this stuff, eat with pita

MaWhit
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I love eggs, but not without the yolk. IMO, the calories are not that bad and are totally worth it for the flavor. I have not other cholestorol issues or the like, so I only eat the real deal.

I often have 2 hard-boiled eggs diced and heated with a bit of non-dairy butter and salt for breakfast.

I make "muffins" with eggs, veggies, seasonings, and sometimes meat or dairy. They are portable and re-heatable.

We love veggie-loaded omelets as well.

I make a yummy egg slad someitme,s but not often, as I tend to overeat it.

My 7-year-old loves to make scrambled eggs for the family.

jennylou
03-05-2007, 04:24 PM
I love egg white omelettes. I always have mushroom, sometimes a slice of 2% American cheese, and any other veggies that I might have on hand.

If I am low, low, low in my points for the day, I might eat whole eggs. To me, they aren't something that I would then turn around and binge on, yet they'll provide my points for the day so it's a happy medium. :)

I use cooking spray to cook them in.

RitzyFritz
03-05-2007, 06:43 PM
I too only buy free range organic eggs (about to get our own chickens so the cost isn't such a factor...but until then, these are all I buy after reading up on the alternative). Anyway...one other thing: I never buy EggBeaters or the like - a waste of money. All it is is egg whites with a little water added and they charge you the price of 3 dozen regular eggs!! So, I purchase eggs and use the egg whites. Now that I have switched over to organic, though, the price isn't the issue. However, if you are not concerned with buying organic eggs, then you can lower your grocery bill just by doing your own egg whites. Some people think this is a waste. However, think of it this way: You are paying over $3 for about 8 egg whites. How about around $1 for 12 egg whites? If you don't like the thought of wasting the yolks, feed them to your dog (if there isn't a medical contraindication for them)! It makes their coats really nice.

I usually eat oats for breakfast, but if and when I do want eggs, I use egg whites only and just fry in a pan sprayed with olive oil. Then I put it in a high-fiber, whole wheat slice of bread. It satisfies my craving for an egg. :smug:

kaepepper
03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
yummy - I love scrambled eggs: either with salsa or with torn baby spinach and reduced fat cheddar. It tastes amazing and it keeps you satisfied a long time.

WindyCityChick
03-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Another egg beaters fan here. High in protein, low in cholesterol and totally filling. I usually make an omelet once or twice a week with egg beaters, broccoli (or some other veggie), and rf cheese. Then I top it with some salsa and light sour cream. I also have the occasional craving for poached eggs, so I of course use real eggs then. Usually a weekend item.

Luminous
03-06-2007, 12:03 AM
I love eggs, but not without the yolk. IMO, the calories are not that bad and are totally worth it for the flavor. I have not other cholestorol issues or the like, so I only eat the real deal.

I was going to ask - is cholesterol the reason egg whites are so popular? Aside from the cholesterol, it seems that yolks have a good nutrition-to-calores ratio. Is that right?

melsfolly
03-06-2007, 04:47 AM
I don't buy eggs that often, but I love it when I do get them! For the most part I have the occassional hard boiled egg or an egg white omelets. But my all time favorite egg meal is the Breadless French Toast recipe that I got off of someone's blog a few years ago.

Breadless French Toast

1 Egg
1/4 C Egg Whites
Splenda
Cinnamon

Whisk the egg & egg whites together with enough splenda and cinnamon to taste. Spray omelet pan with Pam and cook as you do omelets. Sprinkle with a little more Splenda and add 2 tsp of light maple syrup.

royalsfan1
03-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I was going to ask - is cholesterol the reason egg whites are so popular? Aside from the cholesterol, it seems that yolks have a good nutrition-to-calores ratio. Is that right?

Cholesterol is the reason I try and avoid yolks. I don't have high cholesterol but at my dr appt in Jan, the day I started my plan, I was borderline. That's the first time I've had a funky"ish" health report and I didn't like the feeling at all! So I'm watching cholesterol carefully.

RitzyFritz
03-06-2007, 07:17 AM

I might add that you get great protein without the yolk, and if you are trying to watch calories and fat in your diet, then egg whites are the way to go. You get the protein without the added fat or calories. However, if you plan for the calories and fat (and cholesterol is not an issue with you), then I think having a yolk now and then is definitely a good thing. Sometimes I will do 2 egg whites with 1 egg. The whites create more volume without having the fat/calories of a 3-egg omelet.

nelie
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Last night I made the following and it is pretty good:

7 egg whites, 2 whole eggs
2 cups of mashed up frozen broccoli (defrosted then mashed into smaller pieces)
1 cup of shredded skim mozarella
pepper
red pepper flakes

I mixed that all up in a bowl, sprayed a muffin pan with Pam then filled the muffin cups about 2/3rd full. I baked it on 350 for 20-25 minutes (watched it after the 20 minute mark to make sure it firmed up). I let them cool then scooped them out of the muffin cups. Now I have them for the week to eat :)

Also regarding egg whites, they are almost the perfect protein. Egg yolks aren't bad but they just aren't as good nutritionally as egg whites. You can make very low calorie, high protein dishes using mostly egg whites. I do love my hard boiled eggs though.

Kashi
03-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I have eggs every morning as part of my breakfast. I just crack and egg and an egg white into a bowl, whisk 'em together, and microwave until mostly solid. Then I had 1/4C cottage cheese, and nuke until the cottage cheese has melted somewhat. I also have a bowl of oatmeal, and I'm full for hours!

mandalinn82
03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes - frittatas! A giant frittata is a great company dish, "special" enough for a dinner party but still really low calorie and great with a salad. It is a little high in fat percentage for an "everyday" dinner, but it tastes amazing and is great with company, and my diet is really low-fat generally anyway so I'm ok with having a little more fat some nights - especially if its balanced out with a salad, and its way better than most of my dishes that I used to prepare for company. My favorite frittata recipe is as follows:

Serves 4
2 medium leeks, cleaned and chopped
2-3 cups additional mixed veggies (chopped broccoli, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, frozen spinach, asparagus, or any veggies that you like)
4 whole eggs
8 egg whites
2 Aidell's Chicken and Turkey Sausages, any variety, in small dice
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta (penne is fabulous for this, but leftover pasta of any variety is fine)
1 2oz container crumbled goat cheese (lowfat if you can find it - they have it at trader joes)
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper to taste

Spray a large saute pan with cooking spray. Saute leeks and other veggies until just barely tender - they will finish cooking in the oven. Remove to a large bowl. In the same pan, cook the diced sausage until the edges have crisped. Remove to the bowl with the veggie mixture and allow to cool.

Once the mixture has cooled, add the four whole eggs, half of the goat cheese, and cooked pasta to the bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, add the 8 egg whites. Whisk or beat until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Spoon approximately 1/3 of the egg whites into the large bowl with the veggies, sausage, and whole eggs and fold gently. Continue to add additional egg whites and fold until combined, trying to keep as much air in the egg whites as possible.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a extra-large oven safe saute pan (make sure you have a lid!) liberally with cooking spray. Heat this pan over medium-low heat. When the pan is heated, pour in the egg, veggie, and sausage mixture. Sprinkle remaining goat cheese over the top, cover, and cook 15 minutes over medium-low heat until the frittata begins to set. Remove the lid and transfer to a rack in the middle of the preheated oven. Bake until the top is golden and the frittata is set in the middle, approximately 15-20 additional minutes. If the frittata seems to be getting too dark on the top, replace the lid on the pan and continue baking until the center of the frittata doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan. To be sure the frittata is done, check the center by poking in a toothpick or clean knife...it should come out without any wetness from raw egg. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes.

If you are serving this for company, you can make a really great presentation by running a knife around the outside edges and flipping the frittata out onto a cake plate or other large serving platter - it is golden brown and very pretty. A sprinkle of fresh herbs on the top and it makes a gorgeous presentation. Cut into four large wedges and serve. BONUS - these leftover wedges are perfect for lunches the next day, too - they keep really well.

Nutritionals (obviously may change with different veggies/sausages/cheese fat levels, etc, but this is for my basic recipe with 2 medium leeks, 2 cups of chopped broccoli, and one cup of chopped cherry tomatoes, and full-fat crumbled goat cheese since the lowfat is so hard to find).

Serving size - 1/4 of frittata
Calories: 331
Fat: 15g
Carbs: 24g
Fiber: 3g
Protein: 28g

Vitamins/Minerals:
Vitamin A: 38%
Vitamin D: 13%
Vitamin E: 23%
Vitamin K: 160%
Vitamin C: 85%
Thiamin: 17%
Riboflavin: 68%
B-6: 24%
B-12: 28%
Niacin: 12%
Folate: 25%
Iron: 23%
Zinc: 10%
Selenium: 72%
Calcium: 16%
Phosphorus: 34%
Magnesium: 20%
Sodium: 589mg
Potassium: 513mg

royalsfan1
03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
That sounds really good. I may try that for something different this week. Thanks!

alinnell
03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Does anyone get fresh eggs? I have had two friends that raised chickens and from time to time, they would give me fresh laid eggs. I cannot describe the difference! It's like they are creamier or something. So much better than what you get in the store.

As a child I hated eggs unless my Mom scrambled them and added chopped up ham. I didn't like cheese, either. I've never been much of an omlet lover, but a quiche is always good. I have a recipe for a southwest chicken pie that is like a crustless quiche. So good. I'd make one for dinner by DD doesn't like eggs......I think I'll do it on Friday when she has to work!! LOL

I have to add that now as an adult, I love eggs in any way, shape or form. Usually I use egg whites, though.

lessofsarahtolove
03-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Here's my fave, left over from when I lived in Italy. I lived for a few years in Florence, and there when folks make their frittatas at home, there's no baking involved and just enough egg used to bind together the ingredient -- so it's a flat, light, super-simple thing! I'm crazy about zucchini, so this is my favorite:

1-2 eggs (depending on size,) lightly beaten
1 whole zucchini, quartered and finely sliced
Dash of olive oil (like maybe a teaspoon?)
Salt (I use light salt) and freshly ground pepper to taste
Tiny, tiny sprinkling of parmesan optional

(I do this for two people with only 3 eggs, if that gives you an idea of how thin and light it is. ;) )

In a nonstick saute pan or omelette pan (you want sloped edges!) saute the zucchini in the olive oil until softened. Add the egg mixture -- just enough to cover and surround the zucchini. You should see lots of green and not much yellow. ;) Over a low-medium flame, cook the egg mixture, poking little holes to allow uncooked egg to get through. When it seems to be done on the bottom -- but not too brown!!! (lift up edge to check) -- shake the pan to make sure the frittata is mobile on the pan. Place a plate just slightly smaller than the outer lip of the pan on surface of the frittata and flip the pan over so it's on top. Remove it so the frittata's on the plate and then just slide it back into the pan to cook the other side for like 30 seconds to a minute. Slide it onto a plate or cutting board and cut like a pie into triangles. You could have this for breakfast, but it's also frequently eaten for lunch on some crusty bread, or for light summer dinner, with a salad. YUMMMM!!!! :hungry:

It's great without parmigiano, but it does add a special note for dinner, and a little goes a long way!

Charbar
03-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Last night I made the following and it is pretty good:

7 egg whites, 2 whole eggs
2 cups of mashed up frozen broccoli (defrosted then mashed into smaller pieces)
1 cup of shredded skim mozarella
pepper
red pepper flakes

I mixed that all up in a bowl, sprayed a muffin pan with Pam then filled the muffin cups about 2/3rd full. I baked it on 350 for 20-25 minutes (watched it after the 20 minute mark to make sure it firmed up). I let them cool then scooped them out of the muffin cups. Now I have them for the week to eat :)

Also regarding egg whites, they are almost the perfect protein. Egg yolks aren't bad but they just aren't as good nutritionally as egg whites. You can make very low calorie, high protein dishes using mostly egg whites. I do love my hard boiled eggs though.

That sounds awesome! I'm going to try this for sure!