Weight Loss Support - R U measuring as well as weighing (neck incl)

cbmare
03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
When I was a member at Curves, we had our monthly weight and measurement checks. I decided I'd do it weekly at home. I've started measuring my neck as well. I've lost a half inch just in my neck! I've always admired skinny necks. I've never had one. I'll probably never have one. Even when I was skinny, I didn't have a neck that I liked. I can't do much about it.

Anyway, I've added yoga a few times a week to my aerobics and I'm seeing something encouraging in the measurements dept. :D

JayEll
03-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey, cbmare,

I used to belong to Curves--now I go to the Y instead. The measuring part didn't do much for me--I'm not that interested in measurements. I just go by the scale. I did like their body fat machine, though. Well, "like" isn't the right word... ;)

Jay

RidiculouslyAddicted
03-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Yep, I measure -- from 10 spots on my body -- neck, biceps, forearms, bust, ribcage, waist, belly, hips, thigh, calf. I love doing this, because even in weeks when I haven't seen a loss on the scale, I've seen losses in my measurements, which helps keep me motivated. I've lost 1/2" from my neck, too!

sweet_talker
03-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I take measurements at my waist daily. I just measure around the smallest part of my waist standing in the same position at a scheduled time (right after I wake up and am back from the bathroom). I find it a great motivator.

Great work on losing the inches and for adding yoga! :D I'm thinking of joining Curves in May, do you like it?

cbmare
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I dropped them last June. I was a member for over a year. It was fine at first. I got bored with the circle thing. Plus, once I was called back to work full time, it got hard to go. My club was in one direction and work in the other. I haven't joined a gym yet. I'm still renting workout DVDs from the library. Once I find one I like, I'll buy it.

Jay, I don't recall the body fat machine. I may know it as something else.

I should start measuring the biceps. Right now I measure my neck, bust, rib cage, waist, hips, thigh and calf.

OK. Off to the Farmer's Market to see what sort of mischief I can get into.

Perspective
03-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I weigh myself FOR REAL once a month ... due to various fluctuations during my monthly cycle. Typically though, I'll step on the scale once a week in the morning. I have a pair of jeans that would never have fit when I started. I can zip them all the way up now, and they don't cinch. I'm loosely basing "measurements" off of those jeans. I hope in a coupla of weeks to have some wiggle room.

sumisan
03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
ok I decided to measure today, and I have a question where is the "HIP" measured? The top of my thigh is the largest part but I consider my love handles my hips, and what about the waist? I measure at the smallest part. I am so confused.

Angihas2
03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I measure once a month. Neck, under the bust, fullest part of the bust, and just under the arms<that stuff that can hang over the top of the band! Waist, hips, butt, thighs and calves and arms.

Hips, I always measure the widest point, which happens to coincide with my belly button.

ennay
03-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I only measure occasionally
hip widest point, waist narrowest point, boobs widest spot with a well fitting but not compressing bra - this part is definitely my least accurate measurement

my hip is just about even with my belly button, my waist is somewhere on my ribs

and when I measure I do measure my neck bicep thigh, calf and whatever else fitday lists

sumisan
03-04-2007, 03:44 PM
I guess I am shaped really weird, my waist is about an inch above my belly button and my widest point is at the very top of my legs! I guess that explains why I go up in pants size so fast LOL

baffled111
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I've always been a bit confused about measurements too. Like Sumisan (I think we have the same body), my thighs are wider than my hips and I have no idea how to correctly measure my neck.

I have been measuring where Nutridiary tells me to measure: neck (approximation--but my neck isn't fat anyway), my chest (above my boobs, under my arms), abdomen (across belly button), waist (the thinnest part, just below the ribcage), hips (the widest part of my butt), and my thighs (at the widest part.) I like measurements, because they do show progress. Hooray!

I found this site for help figuring out where to measure:
http://www.danceshoesonline.com/sizecharts/body.html

sumisan
03-04-2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.transprism.com/images/measurements.jpgMeasurement Names

1. Height
2. Neck
3. Shoulder Width
4. Bust
5. Front Neck to Waist
6. Bust Height
7. Bust Distance

8. Waist
9. Belly
10. Hip
11. Armhole
12. Sleeve Length
13. Around Upper Arm

14. Pants Inseam
15. Hip Length
16. Crotch Around
17. Upper Thigh
18. Pants/Skirt Length
19. Garment Length
20. Slit Length

I found this on some dressmakers website, i measure my hips at j and it is 41.5 but at q I am 46.... should I go by the 46 or the 41.5? I am so lost.

baffled111
03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
sumisan: Your hip measurement is J. Those are your hips, and your thighs are still just your thighs, even if they are wider than your hips. I measure my thighs individually (or rather, I measure just one of them) at Q and record that measurement separately.

sumisan
03-04-2007, 03:57 PM
ok so its ok that they are larger than my hips? well i dont mean ok LOL but just ignore the fact that they are larger, thanks!!! :) I dont think I want to measure my thighs I would rather just go on ignoring them HAHA Thanks baffled!! Maybe it's a tall thing LOL

ennay
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Sumisan, you arent alone, there is a girl in my yoga class built just like that.

LMAO on F - Bust height. depends on the bra!

sumisan
03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
LMAO i didnt even notice that!

Dedeburt
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I measure every other week at the same time of day. I measure my hips right at my hip bones, waist right at my belly button. If I went to the smallest part of my waist, I'd almost be at my rib cage! I measure each thigh, calf, and bicept at the largest part. Chest is where the bra goes just under the breasts and breast right over the largest part. In 6 weeks (3 measurment weeks) I've lost 14 inches over all! :D

Don't get discouraged if you go up, monthly cycles and water retention can do that to you. Keep up the great work and next time you'll see a loss!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-steps/slider-cheer/lb/178/160/169/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

Beach Patrol
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I haven been measuring & weighing. I like seeing the inches change as well as the scale. But I admit wanting more scale movement in the negative direction; however, when it just sits still, & yet I see a change in inches, it helps keep me focused & excited.

Yippee, I believe is the word I'm looking for.

redlight
03-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I only measure hips and waist. Where do you measure thighs?

baffled111
03-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I measure mine at the widest part of my right thigh. --That's where Nutridiary says to measure, for what it's worth.

FullSteamAhead
03-05-2007, 12:09 AM
hi ladies, glad you started topic. I have not taken my measurements in awhile (and now have it as one of my goals). How I always did it before was my chest , with bra on...in center! waist, where smallest indent. Hips, largest profile of butt! I also would measure my arms at widest point, thighs at widest point (each individual thigh). and sometimes under ribcage and above hip. The hip measure I was taught (widest part of butt in profile) was actually smallest, so then I would measure what IIIIIII would consider my hips, upper part and wider. anyhow, Im ready to begin measuring again, so please correct me if im wrong in anything. I suppose if we always measue the same place and know at least what WE are measuring, that's what counts. Ty for the info ladies. I have NEVER measured my neck and oh boy, that's a good one! lol thanks :)

aphil
03-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I measure faithfully once a month-my upper bust, fullest bust, ribcage (underbust, waist, hips, thigh, upper arm, and fullest part of calves.

(The reason I do my bust in 3 places is because I also need these measurements for costume sizing...you don't have to be that meticulous with yours. :) )

The scale is nice...it is nice to see the numbers go down, but measurements ROCK!!!!! Honestly, I get more excited about the measurements than the scale-because it doesn't matter if you lose 2 pounds or 10-if the measurements are going down, then you are LOOKING SMALLER!!!!! That is what other people notice, right? :)

Check out an online store where you might shop-Old Navy or wherever, and it is fun to check the size measurements there! If you are a size 14, check your measurements against their chart, and it will show you that "in another inch off the waist, and 1/2 inch off the hips-I can wear a 12!" It is really, really exciting!!!

It is also exciting to me, because my dance costumes are "sold" by measurement-not a standard dress size. (A costume might be labeled 37 ribcage, C cup, up to 40 inch upper hip)

I also love, love, love, it when I might have only lost 2 pounds one month-but I instead see an inch off my thighs-it lets me know my workouts are doing their job!

nelie
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I measure "every so often". I am highly impressed with my neck measurements because I always thought I would be stuck with a thick neck. I could never wear average sized necklaces because they just didn't fit. Anyway, I used to have a 18.5-19 inch neck, now it is down to about 16 inches. For my wedding, my MIL let me borrow one of her pearl necklaces and I was so nervous when she gave it to me because I heavily doubted it would fit considering she is a petite lady. Anyway, it fit perfectly and I was very tickled.

sumisan
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Aphil: Holly cow I LOVE that idea! I went to old navy and MAN does that help!!! THANK YOU!!!! I needed that boost today!!! I am going to save the chart to my computer for easier access LOL and look up other stores I like!! WEE~

sumisan
03-05-2007, 10:48 AM
oh and per earlier in the thread all the measurements on the old navy chart have a 10 inch differential between waist and hip. Which confirms my J measurement since that was 10 inches where as at q it was 15.5 LOL

RidiculouslyAddicted
03-05-2007, 12:50 PM
As far as the "where to measure" thing goes, I personally don't feel it really matters, except that you're sure you're consistent from time to time. For that reason, I choose spots on my body that I can easily remember and find time and again -- for most measurements, it's at the biggest spot. For belly, right across my belly button, etc.

aphil
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
It makes a difference if you ever order anything online and use the size charts, or have anything sewn for you...but if not, just be consistent.

cbmare
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Ladies,

Thank you for your input. I have a question. FitDay has a measurements section? I looked all over the place and can't find it. I'm online with it.

Beach Patrol
03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I measure my thighs at the top (like a couple inches just under the butt cheek) and in the middle (like 3 inches from the knee).

I measure my chest by measuring above the boobies, around the boobies, and just under the boobies.

I measure my abdomen/hips by measuring at the belly button, around the hips, and also at my "natural waist" (where I "bend").

I also measure my neck, the mid-upper arm area, the knees, the calves, & the ankles.

It's time consuming but worth it, cause inches disappear a lot faster than the scale goes down! ;)

ennay
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
OK, so I checked out the oldnavy site. No wonder I am so frustrated. It always seems like people who are less in shape than me and weigh more than me can wear a smaller size.

So according to the old navy measurements (which I like because that is the brand I am wearing right now) My hips are a size 8 but my waist is a size 10. (I wear a size 10- I cant button an 8 without pain)

I looked at the old measurements I have. The first set is from March 2004, when my dd was almost 3 months old - 178 lbs so not that far from where I restarted this time. Hips size 14, waist size TWENTY then 11/04 158 lbs waist 14/16 hips size 10.

I lost my measuring tape so I didnt measure this time around at the beginning but I know 12/5 I squeezed barely into 14's at 164 and somewhere around newyears I went to size 12's and then into my 10's around 10 lbs ago.

Of course size changes are going to slow down my waist has to catch up to my hips.

And of course thanks to monster boobs, I wear a 14 top. --this is why I dont wear dresses ever.