Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipes Wanted

View Full Version : Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipes Wanted

chrissyk
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I am looking for some recipes using steel cut oatmeal and am hoping that someone out there has some great ideas.

Thanks in advance :)

BfL_Cat
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Not really a "recipe", but here's how I do mine:

I use 1/4c. oats to 1 c. water, for each serving, and usually make enough for the whole week at once, so 1 1/4c. oats and 5 cups water.

I do on the stovetop - start on medium, and set a timer for 15 minutes. At that point I stir well and turn the temp down to low so it will simmer. I stir every 10 minutes, cooking for another 1/2 hour. At times it looks slimy and gooey, but keep going - in the end they absorb most of the liquid and firm up.

Once mine look like a porridge, I add about 2 T. of cinnamon and 2 oz. of chopped walnuts. I then put into individual 1 cup serving portions.

Each morning I chop 1/2 an apple and add to my oats. I nuke for 2 minutes, add vanilla protein powder (optional), a bit of milk, stir and enjoy.
Cindy

nelie
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
I've posted mine a few times but here it is:

1 cup of steel cut oats
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
5 cups of water (more or less depending on desired consistency)
4 scoops of vanilla protein powder (to make this more of a complete meal)
2 tsp of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice

Mix all of that together and cook in either a rice cooker or in a crockpot. You could probably also cook it on the stove top but I'm not sure exactly how.

bkind
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
I add a tablespoon of almond or peanut butter and swirl it in with a little cinnamon. Another way is to mix in chopped apple and nuts. Both are delicious.