Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Marinade?

How do you count the calories in marinade or cooking liquid that is later discarded?

I know cooking light magazine counts 50% of the calories. They say that is a generous overestimation, but they like it better than the "measure the remaining marinade" method because they think some ingredients might be absorbed/stick at a higher rate than others.

Just curious what everyone else does. I have a co-op recipe this month with a less than healthy marinade.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think if the meat isn't drowning in marinade, and there's obviously quite a bit left in the bowl, then 50% would be a gould guestimate.

I usually count 100% of the marinade calories, because I marinate meats in ziploc bags. With the ziploc bag I can squish the marinade around and massage it into the meat, so I can use just enough marinade that very little if any is left behind in the bag; it has all soaked into the meat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

"good" estimate, crazy mispelling don't know where that came from
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Most of my marinade ends up in the garbage, but since there is oil in the marinade, it does stick to the meat. I would suggest adding the calories of 1 - 2 tablespoons of oil. The rest of my marinade has negligible calories (mostly dried herbs and some garlic).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

This recipe (which frankly doesnt sound good but dh and I decided we would try all the co-op recipes once before trying to trade meals away) doesnt have much oil, but the marinade is pretty high in sugar.

I guess I'll see when I make it. The measure method really wouldnt work this time since you cook the meat in the crock pot in the marinade, the liquid volume will probably INCREASE.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote