South Beach Diet - Phase I Starters, Restarters and Ongoing

MyThreeTots
03-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey all...I'm looking for the Phase I thread for this week and can't find it...was there one?

I'm new to this forum but not new to 3fatchicks. I used to go on the compulsive overeaters forum. I looked around this forum and saw a few "weekly" threads for Phase I but none for this week.

It will be a week into Phase I for me tomorrow (Sunday), and I am currently 6 lbs. down and very satisfied with what I've been eating. Yum.

Anybody care to join?

Ruthxxx
03-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Great idea, MyThreeTots, and welcome to The Beach!

Let's make this thread the Phase I Thread. I'll change your title a bit.
It's a good place to compare menus, discuss problems with the plan and
swap ideas.

However, do pop into the Daily Thread where we chat about Life in general and also swap ideas from the more experienced Beachers.

Stephanie Osborne
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Just started Phase I today actually. Would love to chat it up with some people in my same boat!

WakeMeForSummer
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm restarting Phase 1 today, too!

MyThreeTots
03-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Good luck, WakeMe4Summer!

Stephanie Osborne
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok not a good start. Woke up too late to cook breakfast this morning so ate some pistachios. Now I have set the tone for the rest of the day to be spent starving! I knew better too lol. How are you girls doing?

MyThreeTots
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
stephi, I'm sorry. We all have days like that. Make some mini-quiches or my takeoff on them, Baby Omelettes. You can refrigerate them and then when you need them you literally just heat it for 20 seconds and then pop it in your mouth. I don't know all the nutrition info but the calories come out to 50-60 each. I'm going to go post the recipe right now.

I'm doing fantastic except suddenly I'm beset with constipation. I've been down this road before and I'm not playing around with it: I just took some milk of magnesia.

ETA: Okay...I posted the Baby Omelettes under Breakfast Ideas--Phase I. A popup came up and said a mod needs to approve the message first, so maybe wait an hour and then check.

kmy68
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm starting P1 again today. I did pretty good and when P2 hit, I completely blew it. Now I'm back to P1.

Wishing everyone a super P1 day!!!!

Stephanie Osborne
03-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I should do that! Thanks for the suggestion. I cant stand the mini quiches in the book. I am not much of a veggie person but I loved scrambled eggs esp. with some lf cheese in them...

AdiaFaith
03-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Though Beachgal is the resident expert on eating veggies that you don't like, I've found a couple of recipes that have opened my eyes. Sometimes preparing a vegetable a certain way can change it all around in your mind and mouth!

If you would like a list of some recipes I've collected from other websites on different ways of prepping veggies, PM me. I just don't want to advertise!

Finally, it may be helpful for you to start cooking ahead for some meals. That way, if you are in a jam, you won't eat an entire ham! Ok, ok, sorry! Done with the bad rhymes now.

You'll find many of us shopping on Saturday and cooking on Sunday for the week. It's a bit more work for that day, but it makes the rest of the week much more smooth!

Stephanie Osborne
03-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Adia, thanks for that! I would love some non traditional veggie recipes. I think you are right about whether or not you like them depending on the preparation sometimes. I find most of the time I am like a 5 yr old. I just THINK I do not like something but if it is done right then I cant get enough. The only veggie i DO like it broccoli at the moment...

LitChick
03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Another re-starter here! Although to be honest, I didn't really give it too much of an effort last fall as we had some unexpected life changes come up and my excuse was that life was just too busy to throw in a whole new way of eating, too.

But my doctor recently ran some blood tests and apparently I am prediabetic. He suggested South Beach as a means to lose weight and get my blood sugars under control. Since my DH is in the same boat as me, we're doing this together. We meant to have one last splurge last night for supper but neither of us felt like going out so my 'last meal' was a bowl of white rice - not exactly sinfully delicious.

But anyway, the first day is over with, and I'm trying to just focus on one day at a time rather than looking longterm and getting overwhelmed at the amount of work ahead of me.

Here's what I ate today - if anyone sees anything amiss, please let me know!

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and a glass of V8
Snack: 1 PS mozzarella stick
Lunch: 2 lettuce/turkey/LF provolone cheese rollups and one med non-fat decaf latte with no-sugar vanilla syrup (from Starbucks)
Snack: 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
Supper: Chicken breast marinated with 'Light Done Right' Italian, stirfried mixed veggies, garden salad
Snack: 1 no-sugar added fudgesicle

Tonight I made the 'sausage and cheese' breakfast cups (posted in the recipe forum) for tomorrow's breakfast - this will be my first time making those so I'm hoping they're as good as they sound. Tomorrow night's supper will be taco bake which I remember enjoying from last time.

gettinittogether
03-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Has anyone tried the roasted green beans? They are really good. Use frozen long green beans. Put as many as you need in a bag, sprinkle some olive oil in and shake. Bake at 400 for 30 min. on a sheet pan. They look really ugly but are so good. Some will get dark and crisp. Others will be lighter. I stirred mine about half way through. I got this recipe on another site. Hats off to whoever came up with this one!:)

Ruthxxx
03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi, Phase I Chickies. It looks like you are well underway.

Veggies are a problem for me too especially in winter. In the summer, I graze on them all the time when I'm in the garden. Broccoli is OK in winter but I really don't enjoy it cooked. I've tried for many years to like Brussels Sprouts but finally decided I just don't like them. (It must be genetic. My Dad hated them so much he'd get angry if he even saw them on a menu!)

Stephie, I must try those roasted green beans! They sound good.

:welcome: to all the new Chickies. Kmy68, it's so nice to see you back. LitChick, South Beach has put my blood sugar into normal range so it'll really help you and your DH. Great name, WakeMeForSummer!

kmy68
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Ruth, Thanks for thinking of me.

Ladies, we can absolutely do this. I can't wait to try the green bean recipe. I do the same thing with a little garlic salt to whatever veggies I have on hand. When I make it with califlower (cut small) my kiddies call it califlower popcorn. Who am I to argue?

I am definitely commited, but having trouble focusing, so I put my bathing suit in the fridge in a plastic bag, hanging of the top shelf. Now I have to think before I grab anything. I'll let you know how it works.

I hope everyone is having a super P1 day!!!!

gettinittogether
03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Just a note about the green beans. I had them for a snack yesterday. They were so good!!!!! It took mine longer than 30 minutes. I baked them an extra 12 minutes. All ovens cook different. I also stirred them around at the 30 minute point. I also salted them after I took them from the oven. I also read where some people like to dip them in ranch dressing. They make a great snack.

Bionic Beach Babe
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I like this forum as we are talking mostly about foods dos and don'ts..
I cooked the Fried Swimp Califlower and DH and I both loved it...This week I made it with left over chicken...I think 1/2 head would be better as it sure makes a lot...

Going to check out the new recipe for Breakfast food..

Have a good day and lets all hang in there.. Lu

Ruthxxx
03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Good ideas in here!

WakeMeForSummer
03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey! Another Leslie (Lesley!) And both of us have cute little green signatures ! Sorry-- just thought that was fun !

RocknRoll
03-09-2007, 12:38 AM
hey guys i'm restarting phase one... ugh i am too embarrassed to change my ticker but lets just say i gained a lot!! i officially hop back on the wagon in 22 minutes- haha!

it all started by one pancake dinner with friends... since then its been one downhill ride- gosh! it upsets me because i exercise so much but it doesnt show because i'm back to eating like a pig!

phase one for life! haha joke :) but phase one works the best for me so i might just do it for the rest of this month and then see where i am...

jennimarie
03-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Hey everyone! I just started Phase 1 for the first time on Monday! Great Recipe's I have seen on here so far!!! Good Luck everyone!

Ruthxxx
03-09-2007, 09:09 AM
:welcome: Jennimarie and Hi to Rockinroll!
You chickies will be just fine. There's a good spirit in this group.
Now to get through the weekend!

gettinittogether
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Good Morning Newbies!! My first weigh in is this coming Monday. I can't wait!! I am baking this morning. Phase 1 SB recipes. Bean brownies and Make Believe Bread. Yum!! Last night I made the taco bake. You use re fried beans on the bottom, add the mixture of beef, (I used turkey meat) seasonings, onions, garlic, peppers, etc.....then you top it with shredded lettuce, FF sour cream, cheese, and sauce. It really hit the spot! Everyone have a great Friday!!!!!:stir:

Ruthxxx
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
If you can't find good refried beans (no bad fats), make your own by zapping a drained and rinsed can of beans and adding some chili powder. I've done it with kidney, black and canelli and it works fine.

Bunnababy
03-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I am going back to PI for a few days. I was losing good but really fell off the wagon the last few days. A good cleanse won't hurt.

RocknRoll
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Ruth :)

I'm taking responsibility with my weight gain so i updated the ticker... and the 9.5 lb gain. I am personally changing my March goal to 10 pounds... i know its a long shot but i'm sure my weigh in today was slightly affected by my pig out last out (water retention)

So far so good! Day 1

Stinger
03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi guys

I started ph 1.5 on Ash weds and went off this past weds. (2 weeks). Since I have already been on SB since Oct. I only lost around 5 lbs. At least I know that it was not water. I say that I did ph 1.5 because I did eat a grapefruit every morning. In addition I must confess I did cheat a couple of times, 5 fries and 2 fishsticks. This past Weds. night I actually had a white roll-that was all they had to offer- and I was starving!

I am happy with the weight loss. I am not going to worry about the 'cheats' because this is life and stuff happends. The important thing I am learning is that I can climb right back up and keep moving forward which is what I intend to do.

For those of you just starting or re-starting keep up the good work. Your doing great!

Stinger
03-09-2007, 09:38 PM
kmy68 Your bathing suit in the fridge---How funny and what a bright idea! Maybe I should put my whole wardrobe in there :)

Kay2
03-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi. I am new here but not new to SB. I was on it last summer after DD #2 was born and I did well but I fell off the wagon when I went back to work in Sept. I am a high school teacher and the goodies in the teacher's room were my downfall.
I am recommited now. I plan to start p1 on Monday. I just have to do some grocery shopping tomorrow. I am definitely someone that needs support and I hope to find it here. It seems like a great place and I can't wait to meet you all.

Some info about me. I turn 30 this year. 2 girls ages 3 and almost 1. My SW is 180 and I ultimately hope to reach 135. I have multiple sclerosis but it doesn't affect me physically in any signigicant way. It just depresses me sometimes.

My prob is that I don't really know how to eat well. As a teenager and in college I could eat anything and stay between a size 4 and an 8 without even thinking about it. Not anymore. Besides... hubby is an awesome cook and loves to treat me to my favorites.

Wish me luck!

Bunnababy
03-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I am off to the grocery store so I can actually do PI. Amazed how much food I do not have in the house.

Ruthxxx
03-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi Kay and :welcome: to The Beach. Just holler when you need help.

Before you start, be sure to read the Revised food List in the FAQ Section as there are some changes from the Book.

Be sure to point your man to some of teh Phase I Recipes in the Recipe Section. You CAN eat very good food on this plan and so can he.

Kay2
03-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the great welcomes! I do have one question while I make up my list for the market tomorrow. Are any canned soups ok for p1? I only get 20 minutes for lunch at work and I need something super quick and I do love soup. Ideas?

cottagebythesea
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
:welcome3: Kay2!

We try to stay away from most canned soups because of the sodium content, however, there are a few that are ok, such as some of the Progresso soups. Just remember to carefully check the ingredients for "no-no"s. Check out our recipe boards for some fantastic homemade soups, one of the big hits is the Fireside White Bean & Sausage Soup. :drool: You can make up a big pot of it and portion it out to take with you for lunch during the week.

Barb0522
03-10-2007, 11:06 PM
I almost always take leftover for lunch. There are good recipes on here for chili and Broccoli Cheese soup as well as the Fireside one that Cottage mentioned. They taste a lot better than canned too.

RocknRoll
03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Yay! Two full days back on the beach and i've already lost 3 pounds!
I made the best recipe on the first day and ate the leftovers yesterday. The ingredients are a little pricey but i used imitation crab

hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=1049
Its the HG's Cheesy 'n Crabby Crustless Quiche

only 6.5 to go

Ruthxxx
03-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Great recipe but imitation crab (surimi?) is NOT allowed. Read the ingredients! It contains sugar, cornstarch and "crab extract" which I don't want to know about!

Sorry! I bet it tasted really good though!

jennimarie
03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
The weekend went good as far as eating!!! I even went out to eat and stayed focused!

I hope everyone had a successfull weekend too!

Ruthxxx
03-11-2007, 07:19 PM
You Phase Iers seem to have it in control. :cheer: I am going to start a new thread for this week and will close this one.