Weight Loss Support - Family dinner

View Full Version : Family dinner

Mattt
03-03-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a problem. When I'm visiting my mom in weekends we always sit down for a family dinner... And this is usually the break point of the weekly diet...

First of all, my family eats a lot of carbs and I'm tired of trying to change it....
And , When you're trying to avoid it your mom starts telling you "Why won't yuo eat the XXXX..... ? Try this , try that..."

It's imposibble to get out of there without extra punds....

What can I do ???????
Does it happen to any of you ?

Cheryl14
03-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi Mattt!

Here's my experience with my mother-in-law. I think it might help you!:)

I have the same problem at my mother-in-law's house. She's a FABULOUS cook and baker. Everything she makes is so good I want to eat the whole bowl of everything! I went up to her several years ago when I began my weight loss journey and told her what I just told you. I explained that I would LOVE to just eat and eat and eat, but to get to my personal weight loss goal I just CAN'T! I told her that I would eat from a dessert plate and have a small portion of everything. I would eat S-L-O-W-L-Y (a HUGE feat for me!) and enjoy every mouthful! I would be paying attention to the great family conversation and actually HEARING what everyone was saying. I also would be STAYING within my calorie limits! She hugged me and thanked me for complimenting her food. Things have been great ever since! I periodically need to remind her about my new portion sizes, but I know that since I am eating EVERYTHING (just in smaller portions), she is not offended.

I have found that there is ALWAYS a way around a problem. You just have to keep your eye on your ultimate goal (losing the weight).

Cheryl

almostheaven
03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd just try loading my plate with the better selections and selecting a small portion of the other stuff. And since you know about this in advance, have a small snack beforehand so you're not quite as hungry and won't eat as much while there.

ennay
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
The snack thing always backfires on me...hunger has very little to do with it. (And I have a huge appetite anyway)

I would alot a few extra calories, take larger portions of the healthy stuff and a very very small portion of the other stuff if you can eat just a little.