100 lb. Club - If you HATE (or hated) exercise...

PretzelLogic
03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
what did you end up doing?

Every time I join a gym, I get sick of it to the point I stop going. Lots of wasted $$ over the years.

Walking bores me. Team sports are way too intimidating.

Everyone says "Find something you LIKE to do." I've wracked my brain and come up with absolutely nothing.

Funny though... I raked my yard (with a real rake!) for 3 hours straight and didn't bat an eye at it. My husband asked, "How could you do that for 3 hours when I can't even get you to take a walk?" My answer - I got something out of it: A clean yard. Makes me wonder if I should give up my IT job and work for a landscape company instead. :lol:

So, I just want to poll everyone. If you ever hated exercise (or at least the "traditional" forms of it like the gym), what did you stumble on that you liked well enough to stick with it?

Bean87
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
i have always been able to do some belly dancing moves ( in my blood) lol and a couple of months ago, i bought a belly dancing belt and dancing with it on to some middle-eastern drum music is so much fun and i dont really consider it exercise. I think thats the most important of getting a workout - not actually working out lol cuz i hate the timed and scheduled stuff...too boring. BOOOO!!

PinkyPie
03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Actually I don't HATE exercise, but I do find it hard to just get started.

However, someone said to me recently, "Think of it as something you just DO. You get up in the morning, you brush your teeth, you get dressed, you go to work. There are other things you just "do" automatically as well, for yourself. You wouldn't go to work in your pajamas without your teeth brushed and your hair all over the place would you? No. You NEED to move, so you just DO it."

This really resonated in me. So I just started. You know, if you just start and you DO it, like you would brush your teeth, or even BREATHE (you have to breathe to stay alive, right?) you will make a habit of it.

I decided exercise (any form) was just something I do, for 20 minutes minimum per day. Now, I'm on Day 8, but I can guarantee you 100% if you check back with me in a couple of weeks I'll still be doing it every day. As I'm walking, or at the gym, or on my elliptical at home, I use positive self-talk and my iPod to keep me going. I FEEL fantastic! I have a huge change in my outlook right now! I'm concentrating first on the things I DO to be healthy (eating right, exercise, water) and THEN the numbers on the scale will move too.

Really, it's a simple theory, but it's working for me. I hope that helps you a little bit!

Heather
03-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Renee said it really well for me!

I've been loving the RESULTS of exercise, and sometimes I even enjoy it once I get going, but I frequently fight with myself about getting going, and I've been doing it for a year and a half. I think I will always fight with myself.

- I do enjoy walking more when I'm going somewhere (walking with a purpose), and music helps, even when it's just me and the treadmill!
- I like what weight lifting does to my body... same with yoga.
- Find other movement with a purpose (like the raking or walking somewhere).

But in the end, it's what Renee said, you have to commit to it and see it as an important part of your life. I don't always WANT to do it, but then, I don't WANT to pay the bills, either...

mandalinn82
03-02-2007, 01:37 AM
1. Music
2. If you aren't feeling the gym, experiment....roller skate at a local skating rink! go for a hike somewhere you haven't been (walking with purpose)! Find a video you can do at home, or if you have Comcast, use the workouts on demand to do something different.
3. If you watch TV, consider buying a rebounder. Its a little mini trampoline. Get on and bounce while you watch your favorite show...and if you really need to "get something" out of your workout, make it a rule that you can only watch X hours or minutes or whatever of TV unless you're on the rebounder. If you're extreme, buy an entertrainer...it monitors your heartrate and shuts off your TV if you aren't working in the range you set for yourself.

Goddess Jessica
03-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Alternative exercise is a great option. You raked the yard for 3 hours. What about planting a garden? Doing yardwork and housework is certainly a form of exercise.

Personally, I'm a wicked dancer. Ballroom, salsa, hip hop, folk - sweat is pouring off of me and I love it. Yoga also gives me excellent body awareness and some mental moments that are worth it. Swimming is my once a week mermaid session. It makes me feel like a real athlete and I enjoy that feeling.

Finally, if you're not motivated by the exercise itself, you might consider a goal. For instance, walking may bore you to tears but if you know your goal is to walk a 5K race you might be more active to reach that goal. I competed in my first triathlon last year (at 276 pounds) and I know that the reason I continue to swim is that my brain is secretly thinking about competing again. (But shhh, don't tell my body).

rockinrobin
03-02-2007, 06:42 AM
I kind of agree with the others. I look at exercise as something I must do. Like the dirty dishes and the laundry and all those other boring, yet ESSENTIAL tasks I do day in and day out. I don't love the exercise per se, but I sure as heck love the pounds and inches coming off of me and the muscle I have gained.

Having said that I do think it is important to find something that you can at least tolerate if not all together love. I am not a member of a gym - yet. For the time being I walk, do stretching exercises, sit ups, leg lifts, use a resistance band and DANCE. It's a great way to work out and burn calories. I pump up the music and that's it. Very doable and the time practically flies by.

Cheryl14
03-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Pretzel!

I am a non-athlete in a family of athletes! I ALWAYS was uncoordinated, clumsy, NOT fit. Compared to everyone in my family I was a ...C-L-U-T-Z! Notice that I said WAS.

When I began walking seven years ago I huffed and puffed and sweat. These feelings were very new to me, BUT, after losing 15 pounds and a whole pants size, I WAS HOOKED!

My oldest son said the other day that I'm probably in better shape than HE is! As I picked myself off the floor I asked him how on earth he could ever SAY such a thing! He said, "Mom! You have lost 74 pounds. You walk, you do yoga, you do step aerobics, you work your abs on your exercise ball, you do circuit training, you lift your five and eight pound dumbbells every other day! Come on! I'm just running. YOU are doing all this extra stuff! YOU are a well-rounded ATHLETE!"

Well, I gotta tell ya...Hearing those words from my son really got to me! At 55 I AM in the best shape of my life, and I started this all JUST SEVEN YEARS AGO!

I hope that this will show you that even a VERY non-athletic person can do athletic things! As Robin said, I don't always LOVE sweating and working out, but I LOVE how it makes me feel, how it makes me look, and how doing it can get an amazingly precious comment from my son, THE ATHLETE!

Good Luck!

Cheryl

GirlyGirlSebas
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I don't love exercise, but I do love the results! At 42 years old and in full menopause, my weight doesnt budge unless I exercise. I've just started swimming again and I do love the water. I don't love the treadmill, but my
MP3 player is full of upbeat fun music and that keeps me going. I'm not sure you will find something you really like. Maybe you will find something you can tolerate for now, and maybe, you will love it later.

YP1
03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
I always used to think that I hated exercise, but I didn't. That sounds odd, but I'll try to explain. I used to try, but I was rubbish. I was always the keen fat girl at school, but somehow in my head not being very good at it got mixed up with not liking it.

I didn't do much exercise once I left school, and I didn't want to start again. It took me a long time to realise that it wasn't because I didn't like it, it was because I didn't want to look stupid if I tried and failed, even if it was only me watching. Once I got over that fear and gave myself permission to fail, as long as I tried, I realised how much I actually liked exercising. I bought a 6 week gym membership and told myself that as long as I stuck to it for 6 weeks I could walk away with my head held high, and I never looked back. I'd made the decision to sign up for a year well before my trial expired.

My sport is running now. Obviously that's not for everyone, and different people find different things, but it's changed my life. I'm currently training for my second marathon, I finished just outside the top 20% of women in my last half marathon (my 5th), and I'm a member of a running club. Even better, I'm one of the faster women at my running club. I started off as slow as you can get, but a couple of years of hard work has really paid off and I can't imagine living without exercise now.

haeyu14
03-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Good morning Pretzel,

I agree with everything that was said before me. As for what I had to do, I had to listen to my vet. I have a 2 1/2 yr dane/lab mix who I thought was pretty healthy until my vet said she was carrying about 5 extra pounds (which translates to about 20-30 extra pounds on a person). Walking her was something I had to do for her and my exercise was an added bonus. Skylar (my dog) is such a motivator also. If I'm not right up when the alarm clock goes off in the morning she's there to remind me that I have to get up.

I've also noticed now that I've dropped a little weight through my walking and changing my diet I'm a lot more likely to get involved in other little things... like jumping rope with my 6th graders at recess. I even taught them how to do lunges and mountain climbers (left over from my younger soccer days). The boys were so impressed that I got down and SHOWED them how to do the exercises.

Basically, like everyone else has said, you have to find a reason and JUST DO IT (like the nike commercials). :)

Good luck!

Angihas2
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Yoga, pilates, stability ball work, these are things I LOVE. I also like belly dancing, hip hop classes and turbo jam! I think if you find something you like to do, there's usually a class/dvd/downloadable work out for it somewhere, you just gotta look.

djs06
03-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Try giving yoga or pilates a try- I haven't been in a few weeks, but I LOVE it. My arms look great, and it really helps me manage my mind.. :lol:

Like Renee said, thinking of it as something that you just DO is helpful sometimes. Before I got into the gym grind, I'd walk to do errands.... if I felt like getting a cup of coffee at Dunks, I'd walk, if I needed a gallon of milk, I'd walk to the store... every little bit adds up.
EDIT: YOU SHOULD INVEST IN DDR!!! It's so much fun. Hours can go by and you won't want to stop. My mom loves it, and we play against each other. A little bonding time if you will. :)

Mandalinn, what kind of rebounder do you have? I've been thinking about getting one, I don't know if I'll be able to afford to go to a gym when I go to school and I want as many alternatives as I can get! It looks like so much fun.

LisaMarie71
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I always used to think that I hated exercise, but I didn't. That sounds odd, but I'll try to explain. I used to try, but I was rubbish. I was always the keen fat girl at school, but somehow in my head not being very good at it got mixed up with not liking it.

I agree with everyone on this thread, but what Helen said really resonated with me. I don't know if you'll have the same experience, but this happened to me too. I went very quickly from being the skinny little girl who couldn't play sports to the overweight teenager who couldn't play sports to the obese adult who rarely got off the couch. I've had phases where I made an effort to exercise and even had times when I enjoyed it for a while, but it never really stuck with me until now. I think for many of us it's just one of those things that you believe you hate because you never had a good experience with it, but when you make it a habit and see results and feel your own strength (which is an amazing feeling for someone who never felt it before), then it becomes something you love. It doesn't mean it isn't still difficult, obviously.

I also agree that in the beginning you really have to look it at as something you simply HAVE to do, like brushing your teeth. And even when you love and crave exercise, some days it will still feel like a chore. Those are the days when I do it because I HAVE to. Most days now, I do it because I WANT to. And trust me...I never imagined I'd say that in a million years.

As for the boredom factor, I think you have to push yourself a bit to make sure you don't have a chance to be bored. So many people say that running is boring, but now that I do it I think -- how on earth could I be bored when I'm doing something so challenging? If it's not challenging enough to be interesting, it may not be doing that much for your fitness anyway. But yes, some people will never want to run or walk and would prefer dance classes, kickboxing, etc. I try to mix things up so I can have fun, but I also kind of like that meditative state you can get in with typically "boring" exercises like running and walking. I like just being with my thoughts sometimes -- other times, I push myself and listen to my iPod to get through it!

Ok, I've rambled a lot and haven't really said anything new, so I'll stop! :lol:

midwife
03-02-2007, 11:12 AM
If you like exercise that moves you toward a measurable goal, try Taekwondo or another martial art. Great exercise and cameraderie, yet very individual and supportive and you are working toward a black belt.

KalyKitty
03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm trying to go to a gym once a week at least, but it doesn't help that the gym is a subway ride away & it's very easy to just stay home.
It also doesn't matter if I'm being challenged to death, formal exercise bores me to tears & I keep thinking of 100plus things I'd prefer to be doing, like reading a book or playing an online computer game. Yay WoW!

Sadly if I do the treadmill or elliptical machine for more than 10minutes at a stretch I get homicidal. I usually just do 10min on a treadmill then 10min on the Elliptical machine... then I'll do like 45min spread over various weight machines then end up with 10min on a stationary bike.
I have to be careful because my knees are halfway shot, the doctor thinks I have osteo-arthritis already. :/

However I have figured out how to trick myself to do more cardio and someone mentioned it before- DDR! Dance Dance Revolution. I try to do that at least 30min 4 times a week. I need to squeeze in more time somehow. ><

If I had an indoor ice-skating rink nearby I'd probably do that too. I don't really know how to ice-skate, but it's fun!

Shrinking Daisy
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Like some of you, I don't hate the exercise, I just don't do it. There always seems to be an excuse to do something else.

I don't feel ready to join a gym yet. I'm not sure why, but I don't feel as if I can confidently go to the gym until I've made some good progress. I guess it's probably so that when I get a look that screams, "who is she kidding?" I can tell myself that I'm making progress and I'm doing a good job. I've decided that once I hit 199 I'm signing up for a gym membership and going whether I like it or not, unless I convince myself to go sooner.

I LOVE weightlifting, it's something that I never thought I'd like, but once I tried it I absolutely LOVED it. I want to be able to do a 5K run someday though, so I'm putting together a couch to walk to run plan to acheive that goal. My doctor said no running until I get under 200 though because he's worried I'll ruin my knees. I guess I just need to learn to make exercise something I HAVE to do, that sounds like the best way to keep going. I'm hoping once I get started that I won't have to push myself to get up and go everyday.

SwimGirl
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I hate the gym, I feel weird and like I don't belong (even when I was thin), so I just don't go. I walk with friends, hike to places, I listen to music, and I do exercise videos at home. I never thought I'd ever like exercise videos, but here I am! I do tao-bo because I like things that are REALLLLY hard, I also love doing squats so I got a video with cardio and legs. Do I enjoy doing them? I don't really know, just like a lot of people.. I just do it. Lots of great ideas here, find what works for you!

-Aimee

LisaMarie71
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
My doctor said no running until I get under 200 though because he's worried I'll ruin my knees.

Obviously it's good to listen to your doctor, but I swear sometimes they believe overweight people can't do anything at all. I know it's tougher on your knees when you carry extra weight, but I let that stop me from things for so long, and then I finally just decided to try it. I weighed 250 or so when I started running. I didn't run for long periods of time, and I didn't run fast, certainly, but I did start incorporating jogging intervals into my walking. If you have serious knee problems, obviously you shouldn't do that, but otherwise you may want to get a second opinion about it! I've been running as much as 4 miles at a time now with absolutely no knee problems, and I haven't seen 199 yet. You can probably do more than you think you can, and you may be able to start sooner.

Shrinking Daisy
03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
LisaMarie ~ I thought the same thing as you are saying. I think my doctor (actually old doctor, I have a brand new one now.... forgot about that when I posted before) was fat-phobic. I have absolutely no issues with my knees, and I'm only 23 for goodness sake!

I went to him because I wanted to start running, and he himself was a runner, but he told me no way. I was running before I went to see him and had no troubles, although I was still taking turns walking and running at the time, but I stopped because he told me to. I think more than anything I used it as an excuse to stop because it was hard.

Thanks for posting this, I've been telling myself it was doctor's orders not to run when deep down I knew I really had no reason not to. I think I'm going to try to work my way back up to running again regardless of what he said. If I have any knee pain, I'll just stop.... but I never did before so I don't think I will. Thanks for the kick in the butt, even though you didn't really mean it to be one. ;)

phantastica
03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm glad you posted this, because I, too, am not overjoyed about most exercise.

I won't bother with a gym until I've proven to myself that I'm ready to exercise regularly (I've wasted tons of money on various memberships before).

I find pleasure in doing physical things that have a purpose, not just exercise for exercise's sake. Shoveling snow, walking to the library (a few miles away), not shying away from physical labor of any sort.

Getting a large dog and DDR are both good ideas. DDR would be much easier to take care of, though. :)

PinkyPie
03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm really glad I came back and checked this thread.

I just started a new job yesterday and while I absolutely am in LOVE with the company I work for, it's still been a challenge, getting up really early and commuting pretty far away to get there. I arrived home tonight (or rather at the train station - luckily the kids and my guy picked me up) around 7 ish... we had some warm sandwiches for dinner and it was feeling really good to just settle in and watch Medium. I thought "you know what? it's ok to take a break once in a while" and I was really ok with it. But then I came here, just to see the latest threads and I thought "Girl, this is WHAT YOU DO. How can you be some sort of Pseudo NIKE ad, tell everyone to JUST DO IT and then you don't do it yourself?"

I don't want to be that person. I refuse to eat my words (too many calories LOL). I got my butt on that elliptical, cranked up some music and did my 20 minutes minimum plus 2 minute cool down.

This is what I DO. I may not always LIKE it, but I do it, because it's like breathing. Without it I'm not really alive.

Heather
03-02-2007, 05:20 PM
But then I came here, just to see the latest threads and I thought "Girl, this is WHAT YOU DO. How can you be some sort of Pseudo NIKE ad, tell everyone to JUST DO IT and then you don't do it yourself?"

Renee, first congrats on doing your exercise!! Great story!
Your comment reminds me of one of the best things about 3fc for me -- that kind of accountability. I can't tell you how many times I have said something and then realized I wasn't taking my own advice! Telling other people something does seem to make me live up to it more!!

LisaMarie71
03-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I think I'm going to try to work my way back up to running again regardless of what he said. If I have any knee pain, I'll just stop.... but I never did before so I don't think I will. Thanks for the kick in the butt, even though you didn't really mean it to be one. ;)

Yay! You should join us in the Cool Runners thread in the Exercise Forum. Some great inspirational runners there -- I enjoy learning from them. I'm glad you've decided to give it a try. You can listen to your body and if your knees say stop, then you'll know what to do. And yes, you're only 23 -- you're just a puppy!! Tell your doctor you know someone (me) who's 35 and was running at 250 pounds with no problem, and that she's running her first 10k in a few weeks even though she still weighs 200 pounds! Well, I hope to be around 195 by the race...

LakeGirl
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm gonna give Curves a plug here. That phrase of "find something you like to do" for me, is a load of crap ;) . At my weight, if it makes me sweat and pant, I hate it. I'm hoping once weight comes off that will not be the case, but for right now, it is.

Curves takes thirty minutes three times a week and you're done. That's the draw for me. I hate going in there, I hate doing the circuit twice, but in thirty minutes I'm finished and I do feel better for having done it. I belonged to a gym once, but was always so overwhelmed when I walked in there because I wasn't sure what to do, what was best for me, how long to work out on one thing...it sent me into a tailspin and I couldn't afford a personal trainer. With Curves, I know what I have to do, the women are friendly and there are no guys to contend with while I'm sweating and panting!

Do I think I'll get bored with it eventually? Yes. I do, but hopefully by then, I will be in better shape where there may actually be a sport that I do enjoy being smaller!

WindyCityChick
03-03-2007, 12:27 PM
ShrinkingDaisy, I'm no doctor so I hate to second-guess one, but I'm going to second what LisaMarie said about running. I've been running since last October, have worked up to about 20 miles a week on average, and I ran my longest distance last week of 7.6 miles. Guess what - I was over 250 when I started, I am just now under 200 (as of today :) ) and I haven't had any issues with my knees. As long as you build up gradually and allow your muscles to adjust to the changes, you should be fine.

For me, running has been exactly what this thread is about - it's the form of exercise that I discovered I actually enjoy doing. I too am a total klutz, so team sports aren't a good alternative for me. I also was never a gym person, I just can't get that excited about being there. (I do still go to the gym when I can't get outside to run, so I agree with the point that no matter what, exercise is something you need to tell yourself you just have to do, like brushing your teeth or going to work). But running along the lakefront path in Chicago is really something I look forward to when the weather is nice. And I'm thinking very seriously about a half marathon this summer, so it's definitely gone beyond exercise and into entertainment for me.

I'm absolutely certain that because I enjoy running, I push myself farther with it than I would if I was just logging minutes at the gym. There's no doubt in my mind that success with my weight loss is directly tied to my new found joy in running. Yes, food control has also obviously been important - proportionately more important when you look at the mathematics of the impact of food vs. exercise on calorie counts. But when people ask me what my secret has been, running is always the thing that I view as most important in focusing me on this journey.

So - go get a second opinion and then lace up your shoes!

julzchiki
03-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Great question. It's one that I ask myself almost everyday.

I must say, though, for the past 2 1/2 months, I've been really good about incorporating exercise into my day. Like the several others who responded before me, it is something you DO as if its a daily hygeine task. One thing that has worked for me to keep me consistent these last couple of months is I give myself the rule of "20 minutes". I promise myself before I go to bed that I'm going to the gym in the morning (at 5am nonetheless... a HUGE sacrafice as I'm SO not a morning person). Of course, I do a great job of trying to convince myself otherwise, but I make a promise that all I have to do is 20 minutes of cardio. If I'm tired and frustrated by the end of 20 minutes, I can stop with no self-criticism, because I'll have already done 20 minutes of exercise. However, about 10-15 minutes into the exercise my body starts to love it and it becomes mind over matter and on most days I usually end up doing 25-30 min (if not more) of cardio each day. I use the same rule for additional exercise in the evening after work. Not that I'm trying to be a workout guru by working out twice a day, but I don't have time to do a long one at one time so I split it up into two. This has worked for me. It's become a great stress reliever after a crazy day with my crazy coworkers and driven manager.

Take it one day at a time. Eventually, you're body will crave it, I think. At least, I'm banking on that possibility! Until then, I fight with my snooze button every morning.

PinkyPie
03-04-2007, 04:43 AM
julzchiki - I totally know what you are talking about... because after just 9 days I feel an incredible sense of control AND energy just from doing what I DO... minimum 20 minutes per day. I have the same sort of deal with myself - no guilt, no bad feelings if I don't do more than 20, anything extra is a bonus!