Old 03-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default To all the chicks

I read this a few days ago and have been meaning to post it here, as it reminded me of all of us. Enjoy.

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come to see the daffodils before they are over." I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead "I will come next Tuesday", I promised a little reluctantly on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and reluctantly I drove there. When I finally walked into Carolyn's house I was welcomed by the joyful sounds of happy children. I delightedly hugged and greeted my grandchildren.

"Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in these clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see badly enough to drive another inch!"

My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother." "Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.

"But first we're going to see the daffodils. It's just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."

"Carolyn," I said sternly, "Please turn around." "It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the church, I saw a hand lettered sign with an arrow that read, "Daffodil Garden." We got out of the car, each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, as we turned a corner, I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight.

It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it over the mountain peak and its surrounding slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns, great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, creamy white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, and saffron and butter yellow. Each different-colored variety was planted in large groups so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

"Who did this?" I asked Carolyn. "Just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home." Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house, small and modestly sitting in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house.

On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking", was the headline. The first answer was a simple one. "50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and one brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun, one bulb at a time, to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountaintop. Planting one bulb at a time, year after year, this unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. One day at a time, she had created something of extraordinary magnificence, beauty, and inspiration. The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration.

That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time--often just one baby-step at time--and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world ...

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn. "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years? Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.

She was right. It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"

Use the Daffodil Principle. Stop waiting.....
Until your car or home is paid off
Until you get a new car or home
Until your kids leave the house
Until you go back to school
Until you finish school
Until you clean the house
Until you organize the garage
Until you clean off your desk
Until you lose 10 lbs.
Until you gain 10 lbs.
Until you get married
Until you get a divorce
Until you have kids
Until the kids go to school
Until you retire
Until summer
Until spring
Until winter
Until fall
There is no better time than right now to be happy.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

So work like you don't need money.

Love like you've never been hurt, and, Dance like no one's watching.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #2  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

wow! That is a powerful reminder! Thanks for sharing!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Wow.

Helps put things in perspective. I'm having one of those "I want to be done TODAY" days.

Thanks for sharing
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #4  
I feel the Burn!!

S/C/G: 266/260/165

Height: 5'7"

What a beautiful story. And such good advice too! I'll have to save this one for the days I don't want to keep going.
Preciouskittenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226.5/215/140

Height: 5'4"

That has to be one of the most beautiful anecdotes I've read in ages. I was actually teary-eyed and incredibly motivated. Thank you so much for sharing. I just signed up tonight and that story was exactly what I needed.
GL mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you, Kimberly! Loved it.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default Great story!

Hi Kimberly!

THAT one just got printed out! So cool! Thanks!

As I sit here at my laptop I can look out at OUR daffodils that we planted THIRTY YEARS AGO when we bought our house. They are poking up through the piles of snow like soldiers -unafraid and brave even though the temperatures are still in the thirties here! One of the GREATEST things about daffodils is that they MULTIPLY every year! Where I planted ONE bulb, I now will have forty or fifty coming up! Animals don't like to eat them, either, so they don't suffer the fate of my tulips that get eaten by moles and MOVED AROUND by our squirrels!

My tulips need to be replaced every few years because they tend to keep getting smaller and smaller. My daffodils stay as large as always and keep multiplying, too!

I LOVE springtime! I began walking seven years ago on a beautiful February day and saw the beginnings of eveyone's spring bulbs coming up. It was AWESOME to walk rather than be in my car and just get a passing glimpse of everything. To this day I walk through neighborhoods just so that I can see how everyone's grass and flowers are doing! I even give mental "AWARDS" to the prettiest tulips or the best-looking lawn etc.! LOVE THAT!

Thanks for a great story, something wonderful to print out to share, AND for the fresh breath of springtime!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote