100 lb. Club - What's for Dinner Tonight? (March)

rockinrobin
03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Tonight's dinner will be grilled chicken breast which will be marinated in fresh garlic, topped with a grilled sliced tomato. Served with sugar snap peas cooked with onions and a little soy sauce.

royalsfan1
03-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Great northern beans and homemade whole wheat bread. It's a dreary, rainy day outside!

bizlawchik
03-01-2007, 01:15 PM
7oz tilapia w/1c mushrooms and 1c onions baked in McCormicks fat free lemon dill sauce

Angihas2
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
We are going to King Buffet, it's chinese food buffet style, but also includes a grill with slices of different meats, seafood and loads of fresh veggies. The family will have the buffet and I will do the grill. I've planned for it, and I've also planned to have a slice of their cheesecake, small slice, topped with fresh fruit from their fruit bar.

Kae
03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I am working a double today so I packed my Dinner to-go. I am having a tuna sandwich (adopt a food)... Wheat bread, tuna, lite miracle whip, lettuce, tomato, and celery.. with a Yoplait raspberry yogurt.

Janny O
03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Bone-in chicken breasts on the grill, steamed baby carrots, and rice for the DH-small salad for me.

MissLady440
03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Taco turkey quesadilla

SexyRevealed
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Taco salad :)

MaWhit
03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
We'll be having homemade healthy pancakes topped with nut butter and fruit.

mandalinn82
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
WW spaghetti with peppers and onions to bulk up serving size and add veggie-deliciousness, fat free marinara sauce, and ground turkey meatballs. Once of my favorites for relative easiness/ability to make with eyes closed.

Kamily828
03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Taco Salads

rockinrobin
03-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Tonight is my usual Friday night fare. And I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I defintely STILL like food too much. G-d help me.

A cup of homemade chicken noodle soup
Roasted Chicken breast with carrots
Roasted asparagus and roasted brussel sprouts.

Delish.

royalsfan1
03-02-2007, 02:05 PM
We'll be on the road going to my sister's house for a visit. Dinner will be a Subgway 6" Turkey on wheat, ff honey mustard, no cheese, plenty of veggies. Baked Lays or Sunchips, and I'll carry an apple with me.

Angihas2
03-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Baked chicken
Steamed carrots and broccoli
Spinach salad

RebaR
03-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Salad topped with left over roasted chicken

Goddess Jessica
03-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm having a dinner party tonight:

Starters:
Hummus
Crudite Platter

Main Course:
Spanikopita (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21360,00.html?rsrc=search)
Moussaka (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_1694,00.html?rsrc=search)

Dessert:
Baklava (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_1694,00.html?rsrc=search)

I adore phyllo dough because once you're good at it, you can impress the heck out of your friends without too much work! :)

The Moussaka is a wee bit heavy so I am only going to have a taste of it. The spanikopita is allllll me. I love this stuff. And of course, I will indulge in the baklava I slaved over. It always taste a little bit better when you make it yourself.

rockinrobin
03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Tonight's dinner:

Grilled chicken cutlet topped with a broiled sliced tomato. Roasted asparagus and green beans on the side.

Mrs Quadcrew
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Tonight is beef night here. Steak (4 ounces for me) baked sweet potato, broccoli, and salad.

walking2lose
03-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Jessica, I ADORE baklava. It is one of my favorite sweets and something I buy occassionally for a treat. If I have several, it's really hard to eat just one piece. There are a couple places locally where I can buy just one slice.
Any idea the calorie count on your recipe? Have you ever encountered a healthy/light version of it. Yum. It's killing me just to read about it!

Charbar
03-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Tonight was http://www.goldnplump.com/grocery_product.cfm?id=78&pid=19&gid=3&pc=76505 chicken cordon bleu and fresh steamed broccoli! Yummy!

Mrs Quadcrew
03-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Tonight is is tilapia with cajun spices on it, sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil, whole wheat couscous, roasted fresh asparagus and salad w/ baby greens.

rockinrobin
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Tonight is spaghetti squash with sauteed onions and mushrooms and chicken breast strips with a bit of marinara sauce. Delish.

mandalinn82
03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
A big salad with grilled chicken, carrot, cucumber, roasted red peppers, blanched broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and my signature salad dressing (fat free honey mustard-like dressing with lots of garlic and shallot).

On the side, because I am trying to get more fruit in my diet, a fruit salad of chopped apple, orange, mango, and banana.

JennyWenny
03-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Turkey burger on 1 slice whole wheat bread, little Smart Balance mayo and Carb Options ketchup with a bunch of steamed veggies(broccoli, caul., carrots)

Kamily828
03-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I made baklava one time for a girl scout Greek themed event. It was delicious!!! Also made some Tzaziki dip for pita bread.

Im not sure what to eat tonight. There is some leftover lasgana in the fridge. or a Lean Cuisine dinner and salad.

Angihas2
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Fish tacos with avacado, salsa, cabbage and tomatos

sharonrr
03-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Dinner tonight was spaghetti with ww noodles and venison. I was going to make a salad also but we were too full. I haven't had noodles since starting my new lifestyle. The ww ones were better than ones I've tried in the past.

jrenzul
03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Grilled salmon with a small side of angel hair w/marinara sauce and lots of steamed broccoli.

Charbar
03-07-2007, 03:03 PM
It's wednesday night.. so it's homemade pizza night- I used to have pepporoni and sausage.. I was able to fit it into my day. But now I love bbq chicken.. and it's so much better for me.

You guys have to try to make your own pizza.. it's awesome!

Angihas2
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
It's mexican week here. LOL all week we've had a lower fat, lower cal version of all our faves. So tonight, is carne asada, no oils or added fats, made with reduced sodium beef broth, chipotle seasonings, eye of round, and loads of fresh peppers and onions in white corn tortilla's<50 cals a tortilla, so only 2 for me!> topped with loads of shredded cabbage, spinach, avacado, salsa, tomatos and corn. Leftovers will be a "taco" salad tomorrow, sans chips.

edit, its 50 cals for 2 tortillas, how did I miss this?! So, I'm having a carne asada pizza, YUMMY!

bizlawchik
03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
We are going with the in-laws and DH's visiting cousins to a chinese restaurant. Dinner will be steamed shrimp and veggies with some brown sauce on the side to dip in and 1/3c steamed rice.

mandalinn82
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Out to dinner tonight - going to my favorite made-to-order salad place, where I'll order a tri-tip mixed greens salad with 3 oz of grilled tri-tip, 1 tbsp of their lowfat yogurt based honey mustard, carrots, roasted red pepper, broccoli, kidney beans, green beans, cucumber, and (my splurge) a few of their homemade croutons.

I LOVE that I can get healthy made-to-order salads and still go out with my friends.

jillybean720
03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Last night was spaghetti squash with the following sauce:

2 jars plain no salt added Francesco Rinaldi pasta sauce
1 small box frozen chopped spinach, pureed (in my Magic Bullet!)
1 container each (6 per container) Italian style hot and sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
1 can petite diced tomatoes (rinsed)
unmeasured handfuls of frozen pepper strips and chopped onion
crushed garlic
to taste: Italian seasoning, oregano, crushed red pepperI just cook the sausage first, then add everything else to the pot and heat through--sooooo good, and a GREAT way to sneak in lots of veggies ;)

Tonight, I have some of the sauce leftover still, so I will plop a bunch of it onto a Boboli whole-wheat pizza crust and top with reduced-fat mozzarella cheese for a very hearty pizza :)

lessofsarahtolove
03-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Mandalinn......OMG I'm so JEALOUS!! Yet ANOTHER reason I wish I was back in California (SF): Restaurants with health-concept restaurants with creative menus! Salads are my passion!!

Dinner for me tonight was:

4 oz. orange roughy, marinated in lemon juice and sauted in PAM and a tiny bit of olive oil, and seasoned with herbs du Provence, a little fresh basil and lemon pepper.

Big Greek salad with lots of spinach, mixed greens, romaine, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, red onions, and 1/8 cup reduced fat feta. Dressing was red wine, probably 1 tbsp of olive oil per person, fresh garlic, tiny bit of sea salt to grind the garlic, mint, oregano, and freshly ground black pepper. Mix the feta in with the dressing till it's a little bit creamy, and then toss everything well so it's all nicely covered. Yum! :hungry:

Dessert was about a cup and a quarter of chopped watermelon. :p

Charbar
03-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Tonight will be meatloaf and mashed potatos... yummy! .. all measured and weighed, of course.

jillybean720
03-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Mine tonight will be boneless skinless chicken breast tenders baked with barbecue sauce, bacon (center cut), and Swiss cheese (thin sliced), probably served with some brown rice mixed with baby broccoli flowerets (my brain isn't properly functioning this morning--I know that word is spelled incorrectly and probably not even phonetically :dizzy: ).

rockinrobin
03-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Today my schedule allows me to have my big meal at lunch time. I absolutely love when that happens. So today's dinner (although at lunch time) will be:

3 oz. salmon fillet baked with garlic and spices, topped with a broiled sliced tomato. Served with roasted asparagus and green beans.

Angihas2
03-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Baked turkey breasts, whole wheat pasta side salad, full of mixed veggies and a tad of olive oil, diced tomatos on it all, with a side of spinach salad

Mrs Quadcrew
03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Tonight is a big chef salad with shrimp in it. ( lots of veggies, lots of mixed greens, 2 T. of cheddar cheese, and 4 ounces of shrimp) I LOVE salads!!

mandalinn82
03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Sarah and Mrs. Quadcrew - so far this week, 3/6 of my main meals (dinners and lunches) have been salads. Two of the others have been soup - the wedding madness is descending rapidly and we have no time!

On that note, going out to dinner AGAIN tonight with a friend from college who is home from grad school for the week - Olive Garden, ordering the Chicken Giardino for 560 calories, getting our salad with dressing on the side, and telling them to LEAVE THE BREADSTICKS IN THE KITCHEN. If I manage to survive it, it will be COMPLETELY on-plan for the day.

bizlawchik
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I stayed on plan at the chinese restaurant last night and even passed on the wine and appetizers at the in-laws beforehand!!!! :)

Tonight is taco salad made with:
6oz 93% lean ground beef (pre-cooked weight)
Taco seasonings/spices
1oz rf shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3c romaine lettuce
5 scallions
1 1/2T salsa
1 1/2T rf sour cream

I chop it with one of those rectangular salad chopper blades like at the salad cafes and places in the mall food court so it all gets chopped into bite sized pieces and mixed together. Yum-O!

mandalinn82
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
bizlawchick - your taco salad sounds awesome! Have you ever tried roasting extra veggies to throw in there? We just made a taco salad last week with the stuff you described, but added grilled diced zucchini and red bell peppers. It sounds weird (I always have trouble thinking of veggies that pair well with my Mexican food favorites) but the zucchini was especially good and you get more volume for fewer calories.

bizlawchik
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Great idea! I'm going to have to try that.

I also add an extra ounce of cheese when I haven't had the rest of my dairy for the day, and 9 black olives for a fat serving sometimes. It's amazing how the extra olives and cheese make it taste like it's from a restaurant. Also, when I'm not cooking for the family, I like this with two Morningstar Farms spicy black bean burgers instead of the meat.

Now I'm thinking about adding some grilled or sauteed peppers, onions and zucchini for a fajita-style taco salad! Thanks for getting me thinking. Next week's menus should be yummy.

Mrs Quadcrew
03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Tonight we are having fresh asparagus, yellow squash, zuchini, portobello mushrooms, onion & garlic with 6 ounces of pork made into a stir fry - served over brown rice. YUMMM.

Angihas2
03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Whole wheat angel hair pasta
marinara
grapes, kiwi and pineapple

wanda the witch
03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Boneless skinless chicken cutlet, chopped tomatoes, garlic, cauliflower, spinich patty.

Wanda

:hun:

royalsfan1
03-10-2007, 09:54 PM
3 oz of a grilled ribeye, 1/2 baked potato w/ Mrs. Dash to season, sauteed onion zucchini mushrooms and red peppers. DH wanted steak so I just made sure to keep it in control. I also planned for it today and I stayed well under calorie range. :)

mandalinn82
03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Apricot-glazed chicken breast, roasted asparagus, and roasted garlic and olive oil couscous (another mix, with the couscous replaced with whole wheat).

sharonrr
03-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I made chili with lots of beans, tomatoes, leeks and a buffalo sirloin roast.
My husband love it.

rockinrobin
03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Hubby couldn't stop swooning about tonight's dinner:

I made sauteed onions and mushrooms and spinach with chunks of chicken breast. With lots of garlic and other good spices. He ate it with brown rice. I ate just more of the chicken and veggies. Sooo good.

bizlawchik
03-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I made a vegetable chicken bake:

Ingredients
6 or 8 oz boneless-skinless, chicken breast, size according to plan, cut into cubes
1/2 cup Herb-Ox® very low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh green beans, cut into bite-size pieces (I used mushrooms)
1/4 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 large rib of celery, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp Morton Lite Salt®
Dash of pepper
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup skim milk
2 Tbsp white wine
1/3 cup breadcrumbs

Coat skillet with nonfat cooking spray and sauté chicken until lightly browned and cooked through. Set aside.

In a saucepan, combine broth, green beans, carrot, celery, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and milk.

Add milk to vegetable mixture. Cook until thickened.

Stir cooked chicken and wine into vegetable mixture.

Pour into a casserole dish coated with nonfat cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through and bubbling.

Servings: : Makes 1 Serving
Serving size: 1 chicken breast with vegetables and sauce

Tonight is chicken picatta, 1/3c couscous, 1c broccoli and salad.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups water, divided
1 (5.6-ounce) box toasted pine nut couscous
5 tablespoons Land O Lakes Lite butter, divided
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
large zip-top bag
4 chicken breast cutlets (about 1 lb)
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 lemon (for juice, rinsed)

Steps

1. Place in medium saucepan, 1 1/2 cups of the water, contents of spice packet (from couscous), and 2 tablespoons of the butter; bring to a boil on high for couscous.
2. Place flour and seasoned salt in zip-top bag; shake to mix. Add chicken (wash hands); seal tightly and shake to coat. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter; swirl to coat. Add chicken (wash hands); cook 5 minutes, without turning, or until golden.
3. Meanwhile, stir couscous into boiling water; cover, remove from heat, and set aside.
4. Turn chicken. Stir in capers, juice of one-half lemon (about 1 tablespoon), remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and remaining 1/4 cup water. Cook 2–3 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Fluff couscous with fork and serve.

Mrs Quadcrew
03-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Last night was my 1/2 of a chicken burrito from Chipotle. (chicken, balck beans, mild salsa, little bit of cheese, little bit of guacamole and lots of lettuce! I still have these every couple of weeks and I love them.

Tonight it will be roasted vegies on spagetti squash!

royalsfan1
03-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Mrs Q. Can you tell me how to prepare spaghetti squash? I'd love to give it a shot! Also, do your kids eat it or do you fix them regular pasta? If they eat it, do they know it isn't pasta or are they fooled?

Mrs Quadcrew
03-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I cut the squash in half (be careful, those things are HARD!) then I place it upside down on a cookie sheet with sides and then fill the pan up about 1/2 way with water. I then bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes. After it is done baking, remove the seeds and scoop out the pulp - it literally comes out like strands of spagetti. I only have an 18 year old daughter here at home, and she eats it with me. DH will eat it, but prefers pasta instead. I really think that if you top it with a tomato sauce that the younger kids would not be able to tell it wasn't pasta. I LOVE this stuff - I keep the leftovers in a tupperware container and can usually get two meals (for 2 people) out of one nice sized squash. I'll have it with roasted or sauteed vegies one night and with a tomato sauce another night (depending on if I want a meatless meal or not is the deciding factor of what goes into the tomato sauce)

rockinrobin
03-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Tricia, I find it very hard to cut the squash. I first put it in the microwave on high for about 7 mins and let is stand for 5 mins and THEN I cut it in half. One of my daughters likes it, the other not as much. The 3rd one, is away at college and hasn't had it. My DH could take it or leave it. I love it. I don't eat pasta so for me it's like a treat. I made it last week with sauteed portabello mushrooms and onions and chicken breast strips and marinara sauce, mixed it all together. I thought it was marvelous.

bizlawchik
03-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Robin - That sounds great! Thanks for the idea!

royalsfan1
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Mrs. Q and Robin! Spaghetti squash and asparagus are now BOTH on my grocery list for this week!

mandalinn82
03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
White bean and sausage soup - bringing my total fiber today to an estimated 62 grams!

rockinrobin
03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I am in the mood for pizza! So pizza it is.

Homemade, using a Flat wrap (110 calorie-10gms protein-7 gms fiber) as my crust. Topping it with a bit of marinara sauce, reduced fat shredded mozzerella and cheddar cheeses, onions, red peppers, fresh tomatoes and mushrooms. With a baby spinach salad with red onions and mango and strawberries and a bit of balsamic vinegar.

royalsfan1
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Ginger glazed mahi mahi, brown rice, and a vegetable medley with broccoli, onions, red peppers, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, and whatever else I run across.

That reminds me! Need to get the fish out of the freezer! :)

bizlawchik
03-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Chicken w/mushroom sauce and broccoli

Charbar
03-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Tonight it's a whole baked chicken, brown rice (made w/ half water, half organic chicken broth) and broccoli.

sugarlove
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Tonight we're having Taco Rice - brown rice sauteed with a little olive oil until it's kind of toasty, then combined with onion, garlic, green chiles, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Simmered all together until the rice is cooked, then added to some ground turkey that has been cooked with taco seasoning. Plated up with extra tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, chiles, salsa and a little monterey jack cheese. Yum!!

royalsfan1
03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Tonight we're having Taco Rice - brown rice sauteed with a little olive oil until it's kind of toasty, then combined with onion, garlic, green chiles, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Simmered all together until the rice is cooked, then added to some ground turkey that has been cooked with taco seasoning. Plated up with extra tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, chiles, salsa and a little monterey jack cheese. Yum!!

That sounds GREAT! I'm adding that to my menu next week! Thanks!

Kamily828
03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
We had KFC. Nobody was in the mood to cook so that was the easiest thing.

rockinrobin
03-16-2007, 08:09 AM
It's my usual Friday night fare. And that's a GOOD thing.

Small bowl homemade chicken noodle soup
Roasted chicken breast and carrots
Brussel sprouts, asapargus, green beans and cauliflower

bizlawchik
03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Happy lent! It's Friday and that means seafood.

7oz shrimp
1c broccoli
1c mushrroms
All put on a small foil-lined pan (the one from the toaster oven) and broiled in mixture of 1T lemon juice and 1T melted Light butter w/lots of garlic

1/3c couscous

royalsfan1
03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Pepper steak on brown rice. I know, I know...it's red meat...but once a week isn't going to kill me, I think! :) Next time I'm going to try my pepper "steak" recipe with chicken breasts. I know it will be fabulous!

mandalinn82
03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Fajitas - chicken breast marinated in spicy sauce and grilled, then cut into strips, served with grilled bell peppers and onions, black "refried" beans (a can of black beans, heated and mashed up with 2 tbsp fat free sour cream and a laughing cow wedge), a sprinkle of olives, salsa, and ff sour cream, on whole wheat 50 cal tortillas.

rockinrobin
03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Tricia, there's NOTHING wrong with lean beef. It's loaded with protein and iron and other good stuff.

royalsfan1
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Tricia, there's NOTHING wrong with lean beef. It's loaded with protein and iron and other good stuff.

I know, I agree. But with my cholesterol being borderline at my Dr appt in Jan, I kind of swore off red meat until my recheck in April. However, looking back in my journal it seems like I'm having it once every 2 or 3 weeks. I know that isn't bad for me...but I do prefer chicken or fish. :)

bizlawchik
03-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Robin's spaghetti squash, mushroom, onion, marinara chicken thing! (thanks again)

rockinrobin
03-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh Cassi, I hope you like it. Let me know, will ya?

I am having a baked chicken breast with onions and garlic with tons of fresh green beans roasted with fresh chopped garlic.

Cheryl14
03-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Everyone!

Today I made a recipe from the Life America's Weekend Magazine that came in our newspaper this weekend. It is Daniel Boulud's Pork Shoulder With Guinness, Cherries, and Sweet Potatoes. I just got a new Dutch Oven pot, and LOVE cooking with wine and Guinness, so this was one I just HAD to try. Wow! Everyone loved it, and the house still smells SOOOOOO good! Our youngest son who loves to cook said it was one of the best recipes he'd ever had.

If anyone would like the recipe I would be happy to type it out for the thread. I served it as they showed in the picture -with sweet potatoes and green beans. My son made his favorite salad -mixed greens and baby spinach, feta cheese, shoestring potatoes and red onions. Mmmmm! We each had a glass of Guinness and some coffee with our meal. Delicious! :drinkup:

Cheryl

CyberGypsy
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Chicken Catatorie.....

cmbmom05
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Tilapia with lemon pepper seasoning baked in the oven with cut green beans and a small serving of whole wheat egg noodles, LOL fresh buttery taste and parmesan.

royalsfan1
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi Everyone!

Today I made a recipe from the Life America's Weekend Magazine that came in our newspaper this weekend. It is Daniel Boulud's Pork Shoulder With Guinness, Cherries, and Sweet Potatoes. I just got a new Dutch Oven pot, and LOVE cooking with wine and Guinness, so this was one I just HAD to try. Wow! Everyone loved it, and the house still smells SOOOOOO good! Our youngest son who loves to cook said it was one of the best recipes he'd ever had.

If anyone would like the recipe I would be happy to type it out for the thread. I served it as they showed in the picture -with sweet potatoes and green beans. My son made his favorite salad -mixed greens and baby spinach, feta cheese, shoestring potatoes and red onions. Mmmmm! We each had a glass of Guinness and some coffee with our meal. Delicious! :drinkup:

Cheryl

I'd love the recipe!

royalsfan1
03-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Whole wheat pasta, red sauce with turkey italian sausage, roasted asparagus (ala Robin), and salad. YUM! My DH is Italian and he has taught me to make GOOOOOOOD red sauces! :D

sugarlove
03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Maple Pepper Salmon with asparagus (with lots of lemon and pepper!), lemon couscous and a tropical fruit salad for dessert (I spent waaaay more on exotic fruits than I should have, but they're so YUMMY!).

mandalinn82
03-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Super-lean ground beef burgers, served in a half whole wheat pita pocket with barbecue sauce, mixed greens, caramelized onions, and lowfat havarti cheese, with baked herb potato wedges and roasted asparagus spears.

bizlawchik
03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Robin - YUM-O!!!! Soooooo gooooood!

Cheryl14
03-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi Tricia!

Here's the recipe!

Daniel Boulud's Pork Shoulder With Guinness, Cherries, and Sweet Potatoes

Do this first step the night before:

5 Cups Guinness Stout
1 Cup dried cherries
1/3 Cup Balsamic vinegar

Combine these ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Cooking day:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt
Pepper
5 1/2 Lb. pork shoulder roast
3 large red onions, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 Tablespoon tomato paste (I used tomato sauce and added about 1/4 c.)
5 pieces allspice, crushed
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup molasses
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cups water

2-3 pounds of sweet potatoes (I used about eight which was three pounds.)
(The recipe said to add them after the first hour, but I boiled them separately just like you would regular potatoes and then mashed them.)

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Warm 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven on top of the stove. Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of the pork roast. Sear meat on all sides. Remove meat from pan and place on a platter. Saute onions and garlic in Dutch Oven. Add remaining ingredients to onion and garlic mixture. Add the pork roast to the pan of ingredients and bring to a simmer on the stove. (I scooped some of the onion/garlic/cherry mixture onto the roast.) Cover pot, transfer to oven. Cook for one hour. Turn pork roast, and cook for two additional hours.

I served this with green beans, the mashed sweet potatoes and a salad. VERRRY Yum!! Oh, and we all had a glass of Guinness, too!

Cheryl

royalsfan1
03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Cheryl!

rockinrobin
03-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Tricia I am sooo glad you liked the asparagus. I stupidly ran out of garlic powder this weekend. So I chopped up fresh garlic, tons of it. It is worth the tiny bit of extra effort. It was so much better. My kids and hubby could not get enough of it. The garlic gets all roasted, it was fantastic.

Cassi, I'm glad you liked the squash. In my former life it was something I never would have tried. Amazing how our tastes change and what we can discover when we're looking to eat healthier.

royalsfan1
03-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Broiled tilapia parmesan, broccoli, corn, salad.

keltycphoenyx
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
:hug: My wonderful husband is a light meat eater, and I cannot eat land meats at all. Fish and shellfish do not make me sick, but pigs, :moo: cows, and birds do everytime. :?: Dinner around here is usually served in front of our computers. :nono: (Don't worry, we sit side-by-side. :D ) Anyway, I am having trouble, on such a limited budget, to come up with things that we both can eat. Usually, food does not leave me satisfied. :devil: Tonight, I made mixed a can of tuna with some non-fat mayo and had that with some saltine crackers. Later, I fixed some asparagus-straight from a can. My husband, nuked a can of beef stew, and was fine with that. :) (Oh!.. we both had fresh apples, as well!) If anyone can give me some cheap and healthy ideas, please PM me and let me know.
:thanks:

rockinrobin
03-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Dinner tonight is tons of spinach and mushrooms and onions sauteed with garlic and then I add/cook chicken breasts chunks to it. Also add a little chicken broth. Very good and oh so very healthy.

mandalinn82
03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Tilapia, baked in parchment so it steams, with lemon juice, garlic, and shallot, plus a little thyme...my favorite fish preparation.

Whole grain rice pilaf and roasted asparagus on the side.

royalsfan1
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Dinner tonight for the kids is at the church, hubby is working late, so I'm having leftovers. Whole wheat pasta, marinara sauce and a big salad.

Mrs Quadcrew
03-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Well, I over did it this evening. I ate the whole pan of roasted asparagus for dinner myself. I did also have 3 ounces of salmon - I did the numbers, and even though I ate the WHOLE pan, it was under 100 calories.

rockinrobin
03-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Ain't it great? You can eat the whole pan of the yummy stuff and it's less then 100 calories!!!! Sure beats eating a whole pan of pasta.

rockinrobin
03-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Tonigh will be chicken breast marsala. So yummy and tasty. Lots of onions, mushrooms, garlic and wine. I'll serve it with roasted asparagus and brussel sprouts.

RitzyFritz
03-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Robin: You will have to share your menu method with us sometime. I know you have given us WHAT you eat, but it seems you have a menu that you rotate maybe? That sounds like it would simplify things a bit. Do tell! :smug:

mandalinn82
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Tonight I am working on a recreation of the Olive Garden Chicken Giardino...its basically a pasta dish with grilled chicken, veggies, and a brothy-like lemon sauce. I am tweaking it slightly to have more veggies and to use aidell's chicken sausage, bell pepper, broccoli, and zucchini and trying to make the sauce.

rockinrobin
03-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Robin: You will have to share your menu method with us sometime. I know you have given us WHAT you eat, but it seems you have a menu that you rotate maybe? That sounds like it would simplify things a bit. Do tell! :smug:

I use a lot of chicken breast cutlets. I buy a lot at a time, clean them and package them one per bag, then freeze it. It makes it very easy come time to defrost and to prepare dinner.

I don't have a set scheduele per se. I just came up with some things that I really, really like and rotate them every 2 weeks or so, no set order. In order for me to stick to my "diet" I had to find foods that are very tasty and of course low in calories and healthy. I've tweaked some of my old stuff and modified it to be healthier. Less breading and frying and oil and more veggies. I used to make chicken marsala by first dipping the chicken in egg, then bread crumbs and then frying it. I no longer do that and it's just as good. I'm very fortunate that I have tired of nothing yet and to tell you the truth I don't forsee that I will. I do keep on adding things, changing it up a bit.

sugarlove
03-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Tonight I'm making roasted pork tenderloin (with lots of garlic!), pumpkin mashed potatoes (basically just roasted pumpkin mashed with some potatoes and seasoning), roasted beets and a butter lettuce salad with homemade vinaigrette.

mandalinn82
03-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Recipe for my pasta dish...it was soooooo good.

Makes 4 servings
4 cups broccoli florettes
3 large bell peppers, cut into strips
3 zucchini, cut into discs
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups chicken broth, divided
2 tbsp light margarine (transfat free if you can find it)
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp fat free half and half (optional)

8 oz whole wheat penne
1 lb chicken breast, cut in 1" dice
Dried Thyme
Dried Rosemary
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
Cooking spray

In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, juice and zest of lemon, three pinches dried thyme, 1 pinch dried rosemary, ground pepper, and a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine.

Salt and pepper chicken breast. In a large saute pan coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken breast chunks until they are cooked through, then remove to a small bowl. Respray pan as necessary, and add broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic. Add remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the pan, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow veggies to steam until crisp-tender.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the 2 tbsp of light margarine. When it is melted, whisk in the flour and cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes, until flour is no longer raw. Whisk in about half of the lemon/chicken broth mixture and raise heat to medium, whisking constantly until all lumps are disolved. As the sauce thickens, add additional lemon/chicken broth mixture slowly. Bring to a simmer. Just before you are ready to add this to the pasta, whisk in 2 tbsp of fat free half and half.

Return the chicken breast to the pan with the vegetables and toss to heat through. Drain the pasta and return to the large pasta pot. Pour sauce onto pasta, and add vegetables/chicken to the mixture. Toss well to combine and serve.

Nutritionals:
Total Calories: 404
Fat: 7 63 16%
Sat: 1 13 3%
Poly: 2 17 4%
Mono: 2 19 5%
Carbs: 60 189 49%
Fiber: 13 0 0%
Protein: 33 133 35%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

7 g of fat, only 1 saturated, and 13 g of fiber.

TempleBody
03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Since I have more time for lunch and less time for dinner...

Lunch:
baked Salmon, mixed green veggies, red lentils

and dinner:
Baked red peppers, eggplant, onion, mushrooms on top lettuce w/ 1/2 cup of chickpeas

sugarlove
03-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Tonight I'm making a spinach and feta frittata, will probably turn the leftover mash into some little potato cakes, with more butter lettuce salad again. I've also got some beautiful watermelon for dessert :)

rockinrobin
03-30-2007, 08:06 AM
A small bowl of homemade chicken soup
Roasted chicken breast
Roasted asparagus and brussel sprouts with lots of chopped fresh garlic

sugarlove
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Tonight we're having Indian - homemade chicken korma, pilau rice, pappadums and a tomato/cilantro relish. A little higher in calories than my usual dinners :) , but a planned indulgence! (lunch is going to be a big salad with poached chicken breast and tons of veggies).

Fresh figs for dessert.

mandalinn82
03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Turkey Cutlets stuffed with laughing cow wedges, bell pepper, and arugula, served with whole wheat parmesan couscous and roasted asparagus.

RememberHowToSmile
03-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Sugarlover can you post the recipe for your indian food? I love it but do not know how to cook it.

missaprylj
03-31-2007, 07:01 PM
You can tell I'm home for spring break with a lot of time on my hands!

Tonight:
Chicken breasts stuffed with wilted fresh spinach, garlic, onions

Rice mixed with green beans (to bulk it up a bit) and a few chopped almonds