Exercise! - Any bike riders here? (outdoor)

View Full Version : Any bike riders here? (outdoor)

jamsk8r
03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi all,

I'm new here. My sister and I have decided to train up for a 30 mile bike ride that is happening near the end of June. I wondered if there are any others that are using outdoor cycling as part of their exercise routine? I'd like to have a place to post times/mileage and share experiences with others, because I have never really tried to ride a bike for any distance or for more than just recreation. If anyone is interested in joining or starting a new thread on biking, please let me know. Thanks!

AnneWonders
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm a biker. I have two bikes, road and mountain. I'm planning to go out Saturday for a 25-30 mile road ride with my friend, assuming that I can shake the last dregs of this cold. I usually try to get out a couple times a week in good weather.

What kind of bike do you have? What kind of training plan are you and your sister working?

Anne

ArtsyGirl
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I ride but its still to cold and snowy for me. It'll be April before I get out regularly. I have a Trek Mountain bike but we dont have any great trails close so I basically take it on the dirt roads around here with the occasional trail ride thrown in.

jamsk8r
03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Wndranne, right now I just have a cheap 100 dollar bike with nobby tires, but I'm going to start with that. My sister has 2 road bikes, and if I can fit one of them, she said I could borrow one for training and doing this ride, but she is a lot taller than I am, so I may be stuck with what I've got. Just for trying out the sport, though, I think what I have will be fine. If I find that I want to stick with it past this ride or do longer distances, then I could look at getting a better bike.

As far as a training plan, I don't have one yet, except to just start riding. I got out for a short 2 mile ride on Tuesday, just to dust off the bike and see if I could ride. I recently bashed up my ankle crashing the dog scooter, so I wasn't sure how it was going to take to the bike, but it did fine, at least with the short distance. I don't know what is the right thing to do for building up mileage on a bike, but for now I'm just faking it, and will start with tues, thurs and either sat or sun (we run dogs one of those days, usually, so whatever day we're not running dogs). I'm just going to start easy, with the 2 miles, and will build up time or mileage from there. (I'm still holding out hope of finding an actual "plan" to follow, though, since I don't really know what I'm doing.) I'll ride again today. I'm just waiting for the roads to thaw and for the morning rush to finish using our country road for a freeway (which will be about 9 am here).

Artsygirl, I have not tried mountain biking, but some of the trails we run dogs on with the scooters (they are like mountain bikes with a skateboard plate to stand on, instead of pedals and a seat), I think it is a similar effect, lol. Since the dogs take care of beating me up and getting me out on hard trails, I'm sticking with road biking for now. I remember one trail we went on at a group ride 2 or 3 years ago, and you would have loved it for mountain biking...lots of jumps and tree roots, crossing the river on log bridges and crazy drop offs. Try that with 3 crazy dogs dragging you along, lol. At one point, we came to a "puddle" that was about 30 feet across and just as wide over the trail. The dogs wouldn't stop, and it was too soon to turn back anyway, so the dogs jumped in, swam across, my scooter was underwater with just the handlebar grips sticking out, and me trying to keep my footing in the mud, wading through water up to my collar bone. I ended up crashing and dragging about 5 or 6 times on that run, lol. Afterward, we all drove our dog teams into the lake, to try and get some of the mud off before loading them back in the vehicles. It was insane, but a lot of fun. That was the run where I learned to always bring a full change of clothes and about 10 towels, lol.

Do you all think that riding 3 days a week would be enough for me to get up to a 30 mile ride by the last week of June? Right now I can do 10 miles, which is what I've done just riding with my son, though I'm starting much smaller. I figured since I'm starting to ride it 3 times a week instead of maybe once a week in summer, that I should start small and build up from there, just to be safe and avoid getting too gungho and injuring myself. I'd appreciate any opinions on whether this is the right approach, or whether I should try to see what my max time/mileage is and build from some percentage of that?

Cheryl

jamsk8r
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
>>Right now I can do 10 miles,>> Let me just eat those...munch, munch! The 2 miles kicked my butt today! I tried adjusting my seat, because my nephew rode it yesterday and it was too high, but I got it too low instead, which I started feeling about half mile into the ride. I thought, "it's only 2 miles, don't be a wimp!" Holy smokes, I was dying after a mile of standing on my pedals or trying to pedal sitting on that low seat. I'll have to mark the seat-height on the post when I get it back to normal...sheesh! Unfortunately, my cheap-o bike doesn't have a QR adjustment on the seat post, and I didn't think to take the allen wrench with me. Thirty miles??! I might have to start the day before everybody else, lol.

Cheryl

jtammy
03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I have just started doing some bike riding again within the last month. I used to love to do it, but it had been many years since I had done any. Right now, I'm just using a cheapo bike that is actually my DH's bike. I have visited a couple of bike shops looking for my new bike. At both places, they have recommended a hybrid bike. So far all of our riding has been on dirt/gravel roads or on the highway. Eventually, I would love to do a rail to trail path nearby, but 4 - 5 miles is all I can manage at a time right now, so that will be a goal to aim for.

The salespeople that I spoke with showed me Trek bikes (at both shops) and they were within my price range, so that is what I will tryout once I actually go to purchase it. I'm thinking about waiting another month before I go. Riding DH's bike has actually been a good experience for showing me what I definitely want my bike to have or not have.

Looking forward to reading more from folks who know something about bikes. I'm not one of those people yet, just a wannabe. :)

jamsk8r
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
>>Looking forward to reading more from folks who know something about bikes. I'm not one of those people yet, just a wannabe.>>

Me too! Thanks for joining the thread. I was worried I'd be the only one doing bike riding on here. Can you tell me what a hybrid bike is?

Cheryl

jtammy
03-01-2007, 09:29 PM
From what I've seen and read, they are kind of a combination of a road bike and a mountain bike, with the handlebars usually like a moutain bike, gears and tires usually like a road bike. My very basic understanding....

stacylambert
03-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I just recently bought a new road bike and put in around 30 miles this past weekend. I'd LOVE to have a place here to post our mileage and training. Here's a link to the bike (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=21967&item=30-7055&slitrk=search&slisearch=true)that I got. Up until that I'd been riding a mountain bike on the road. The new one is SOOO much better. The tires, the lightness, the posture, the clip-ins. If you're serious about biking it's definitely worth looking into a good bike. My husband and I and sometimes his friend ride together. They're both training for triathlons so I'm just trying to keep up! I'll try my best to answer any bike questions if you get 'em and what I don't know I'll pass on to my husband. Looking forward to logging miles with you all!

jamsk8r
03-02-2007, 02:53 AM
I just recently bought a new road bike and put in around 30 miles this past weekend. I'd LOVE to have a place here to post our mileage and training.

Thanks for joining us Stacy! Here's my mileage: 2 per ride, 4 total. :rolleyes: I'll try to improve that, though, lol. That's a great looking bike!

Jtammy, thanks for the reply. I've not heard of that, but I'm a total noob at this. I'm impressed that you can go 5 miles already! I've been about 4 to 12 miles on different rides with my son, but those were just cruising on the flat, with lots of breaks to look at stuff and just making a day of it. Totally different story when I'm trying to really get a workout and pedal most of the time.

I do have a question for all of you, if you care to participate: How many times a week do you ride?

Cheryl

AnneWonders
03-02-2007, 09:00 AM
I try to ride a couple times a week. I'm also a triathlete, so I have running and swimming to work in there as well.

My plan is 6 miles today to test my new bike fit on the road bike, and then 25-30 miles tomorrow for my ride of the week. I'd normally try to do a lunch-time ride one day of about 16 miles, which is usually just a smidge over an hour for me, but it didn't happen this week with a huge week-long meeting at work. I'm hoping to get my mountain bike out next week, but need to get coordinated with my riding buddies, since that involves inevitable falls, and I'd hate to knock myself unconcious somewhere out in the desert alone.

Cheryl, make sure you are fitting on that bike! As you discovered, a bad fit (seat too low in your case) is disastrous.

My parents got bikes for Christmas 2005, some decent Trek hybrids, and in about a year had worked up to rides of 40 miles a day, with rest and making a day of it. They went on a rails-to-trails vacation and did 200+ miles in one week. They are in their early 60s and started from pretty much scratch. They are also retired and had a decent amount of time to train, which I think they worked up to a couple hrs at about 20 miles.

Finally, here's a plug for going to your local bike shop (LBS). They can help you get fit on your bike, check it out for safety and component upgrades that match what riding you are doing (e.g. swapping out knobby tires for slicks if you are riding on the road), and get you info on biking in your area, bike clubs you might be interested in, things like that.

Anne

jamsk8r
03-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Anne, thanks for the information. That is really helpful to me, and makes me feel better about my made-up training plan. I plan to start with 3 days a week, and just building from there until I feel like I can handle longer rides/more days. Right now, I still have dogs to run 3 mornings a week, and skating 3 nights a week. When the weather warms up, I will be easing the dogs' mileage down, so I'll have more time for bike riding, plus by that time I should be able to handle longer or more frequent rides.

I've been reading about triathlons a lot lately. That sounds like a really cool thing to do, and I'd like to try it some day, maybe next year. Need to take some swim lessons and learn some actual strokes, because I don't know anything except how to play in the water and not drown. Hopefully the Y will have some lessons for clueless adult swimmers!

I had my one-week weigh in today...six pounds down! :carrot:
Did not ride outside today (will tomorrow), but got 20 mins in on my sister's recumbent stationary bike (totally different feel from the real thing..all the work seemed to be in the backs of my legs). Got in 4 hours of skating tonight (Friday), with lots of dancing and tried to "work" the whole time, not just rolling around, so I'm beat!

Should we start a new thread for reporting miles and/or time on the bike, or just stick with this one? If somebody wants to start a new thread, feel free to just do it, otherwise just give a preference here, and I don't mind opening up a new thread if that's what we want. I'm thinking a new thread would be a good idea, so folks don't have to sift through all my noob questions to get to the good parts.

Cheryl

cinderly
03-03-2007, 06:14 AM
*squee!* BikeThread!!!!

Sorry, lost myself for a minute.

Add me to the list of outdoor bikers - I LOVE my bike. I'm off it for the season, until the roads clear, though. One of my long-term goals is to be a year-round bicycle commuter, but I have to work up to that. :)

During the summer, I'm all but glued to my bike (Specialized Rockhopper). I'm really lucky - we have a fantastic trail system, here, so it makes riding all the easier.

I totally understand not wanting to sink money into a sport you're not sure you'll love - I resisted doing so for YEARS. I finally replaced my had-it-since-junior-high Huffy with my bike last spring, and all I can say is that I wish I'd done it years sooner. Maybe watch Craigslist? (I see decent bikes on ours all the time.)

Either way, best to you. Enjoy your rides and wear your helmet!

jamsk8r
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
*squee!* BikeThread!!!!
(snip)
I totally understand not wanting to sink money into a sport you're not sure you'll love - I resisted doing so for YEARS. I finally replaced my had-it-since-junior-high Huffy with my bike last spring, and all I can say is that I wish I'd done it years sooner. Maybe watch Craigslist? (I see decent bikes on ours all the time.)
(snip)

:joker: I like the squealy brake noise, lol!

I got in 4 miles today, but man! I was ready for a new bike today! The pedaling part was fine, but geez, the seat was about as comfy as a fence post, and I definitely want some different handlebars, plus the shifter is apparently broken somehow. I might just go ahead and invest in a better bike, because I don't think I could ride 30 miles on this bike, and sinking money into it is probably a waste. I'll ride it for now, but I'll definitely be looking out for something better as soon as I have some money to spare for it. "I would like something in a granny seat with springs, please.." lol!

Thanks for joining us. I have to run, but I'll be back later to check in. Any other mileage reports today? I know mine is kinda ridiculous, but it's better than the zero miles I was doing before!

Cheryl

cinderly
03-03-2007, 09:00 PM
How many miles do I get to count for staring longingly at my bike this morning? :D

Four miles is nothing to sneeze at. When I got back on my bike for the first time in years last summer, I couldn't do the mile around the block without stopping to rest halfway. Just keep plugging away, and you'll get there.

AnneWonders
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
I didn't get out yesterday or today. Scheduling difficulties got me yesterday, and instead of the lovely little neighborhood ride, I got 20 minutes and 4.4 miles with my bike on the trainer in the living room. Ah well.

This morning I wussed out on my ride because it was just a couple of degrees above freezing when I woke up, with forecast of wind. It warmed up beautifully just after sunrise, to about 50 deg, which is certainly rideable, and no wind to be seen, so I was kicking myself all morning. I did get out for a quick 2 mile run tonight, so I wasn't a total slob, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping either. I may see what I can scare up tomorrow. Maybe a ride home from the pool, which is about 6 miles, but scheduling is making a run more likely.

Anne

stacylambert
03-04-2007, 02:14 AM
Today I got in 11 miles.

It's good but I was hoping for 28! We went to a 14 mile bike path and wanted to do it twice but the wind was horrible! Riding into it was like riding up a hill the entire time. Of course the way back was nice. We're going out again tomorrow for a coastal ride, we'll see how that goes!

jamsk8r
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Eleven miles like that probably gets extra points for effort!

Okay, I have a newb question that's rather embarrassing...er..when is my butt going to stop hurting? I went to my sister's yesterday, to try out her bikes, and I was so sore, I couldn't tell if her seats were any more comfortable than mine. I guess you just get used to it and it goes away after you ride enough? Is this normal for beginners that are overweight? I did find out that I definitely want a new bike. Hers were so much easier to ride, and the road bike's handlebars were much more comfortable, because I could switch hand positions on the bars, where with my bike there's only one option, which gets uncomfortable quick.

Cheryl

cinderly
03-04-2007, 04:27 PM
My seat was sore for a couple of weeks when I started riding again. After that, I was fine. (It was really awful in the meantime, though!) I'm pretty sure it's normal for *any* beginner over about age 10.

Your butt will get more "conditioned" as you ride more. Some things that can help:

A quality seat (but not too soft -- ever sit on a couch ALL day? I don't know about you, but my butt hurts after THAT.)

Cycling shorts with a padded seat. GREAT for long rides. If you're self conscious, you can ride with them under other pants or shorts. (I don't - I figure it's the right tool for the job, and if other people don't like it, they can pass me! :devil: )

Seat height. (Sounds like you already know about this?) Your knee should be slightly bent at the bottom of your stroke. Riding too low or too high can make you rock your hips to pedal, which can make saddle soreness a lot worse than it needs to be.

Can you borrow your sister's bike more often? I can't overstate what a difference it was for me to WANT to ride between my old bike and the new one. (I know costs can be an issue. My bike was around $500, with helmet, because I got it on clearance. Not cheap, but definitely more in my price range than say, a Rivendell :drool:)

edit to add: Sheldon Brown has a great page on Comfort and Bike Seats (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html).

AnneWonders
03-04-2007, 05:39 PM
One thing that will make a huge difference for most women is to get a women's specific saddle. Men and women have different pelvic bone anatomy (obviously) and men's sit bones are spaced more narrowly than women's. So when I go to a man's saddle, my bones miss the seat entirely, and I end up sitting on some rather delicate parts, rather than the more rugged bones which should be holding me up. I wasn't able to ride more than 5 miles before I made the switch because the pain was just too bad.

Anne

ennay
03-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I am still only on the stationary & recumbent right now. In another couple months I'll be able to get outside. Its still too cold, dark and rainy at the only time I can go (5:45 am). I think I will make the migration from recumbent to upright at the gym soon to get my butt in shape...I switched to recumbent post baby when things were still tender

I'm a horrid biker though, I just do it for the X training. Although I will probably do the Seattle to Portland ride again someday.

ennay
03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Seat--I'm not sure if they still have it...Terry Cycling sells women specific saddles and since I am not RACING I got the one called "chubby cheeks" and OMG world of difference. I can actually ride 12 miles without padded bike shorts with hardly any break in period

stacylambert
03-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Another vote here for Terry seats, but the one I have is called gellisima. Soooo much better than the men's seat that came on mine. It also helps if you kind of tuck your pelvis (like when doing abs) then more of your weight is on your sit bones and less on soft parts.

jamsk8r
03-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the advice on seats, shorts and riding position, ladies. I had no idea there were different seats for women. Good to know it's not JUST being new that is the problem.

I do plan to buy some padded bike shorts, and am not afraid to wear them, though I'll likely go with a longer shirt until I get rid of the scary spare-tire belly, lol.

I'm going to start looking at prices on used road bikes, to see if that's an option for the tax refund this year, which should come in the next few weeks. I was planning to buy a new scooter for running my dogs, but that can wait, and I can put that money into a better bike that is more comfortable and easy to ride. I figure I can always sell it if I decide not to stick with biking for the long term, but I think I may get the triathlon bug later on, or at least want to try it once (after I have some actual swimming lessons and can run more than half a block, lol), so for now it wouldn't hurt to have a better bike to train on. I need some different exercise to do, other than skating, and right now biking seems like the most fun (except for the soreness factor right now, but I can work through that).

I'm back on the bike tomorrow. Skated today, about 4 hours total, including 2 hours of dance practice, so I'm off to put some rubbing alcohol on these sore old legs and then get some sleep! :faint:

Cheryl

stacylambert
03-05-2007, 02:00 PM
You'll definitely fall in love if you buy a road bike! Here's some advice that I learned while searching for my bike:

When you're looking don't feel like you HAVE to get a women's specific design (called WSD) if you can fit comfortably on a men's bike. You'll get a much better bike for the price if you get a men's bike in general.

Before you start looking I would defintely go to your local bike shop and get fitted on a road bike so you know what size to look for. It's a little different riding position than flat bars because you're more bent over. Like for me I had a 51 flat bar bike but a 48 road bike.

And keep in mind that the brand of the bike isn't as a big deal as the type of components (brakes, crankset, etc). You really want to be looking for Shimano components. They have several levels of quality (called 105, ultegra, and dura-ace, i may have missed one...) as well but any one of them would be fine.

Good luck and definitely keep us updated on the search!

jamsk8r
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Tight schedule today, but got 2 miles in, at least. One more errand to run before I'm done for the day, so I'm gonna go take care of that!

Cheryl

CinnamonGirl
03-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Oh, I can't wait to join you all on my bike. It's waaaaay too cold here for me to be out biking and the 2.5' of snow on the trails is a bit too hard to get through, LOL! I'm like ArtsyGirl and it'll be April before I can hit the roads. :( Hopefully this thread will still be going strong then and I can join in.

My DH and I ride together and usually do a 22 mile round trip daily in the spring/summer/fall. We love to ride and have a trail right out the end of our driveway so no excuses! We are nuts :dizzy: and start out with that 22 miler even though that first ride of the season is a killer. OK the first week is a killer while I'm trying to get my "bike butt" back after taking the winter off. Even though we make that 22 mile ride we are slow in the beginning and work our way up to normal speed over the course of a few weeks. We both have the same inseam measurement (34") but I'm 5'10" and he's 6'2". We can keep the same pace but he's so much stronger than I am that he really kicks my butt at the beginning of the season. Since I've been lifting weights this winter I'm hoping that will give me a bit of an edge. :devil:

Jamsk8r, you'll have a great time and I think you should have no problem working up to 30 miles by June. Just keep plugging along and you'll get there. I'd suggest getting yourself a good Odometer for your bike. This will help you track how far and how fast you are riding. I find mine to be very helpful to keep on pace. The first one I had broke and I found it really difficult to not start slacking off when riding especially when I started getting tired. I replaced it right away.

Also a good thing to know about buying a women's saddle is that almost all shops will let you buy a saddle and try it for a week or so to see how it fits you and let you return it if it doesn't work for you. If the store says they won't do that go to another store. If you have an REI near you check them out. I bought 4 saddles from them before I found one that fit me right. Your butt will be sore when you first start training but your tailbone shouldn't be totally painful. You should be able to walk and sit after a long ride. If you're in a lot of pain (tailbone wise) then the saddle isn't right for your body. My tailbone curves down more than some people so I had a very hard time finding a saddle that didn't have a hard plastic area for the corporate logo that wouldn't hit me when I was riding. I know, TMI! :D Everyone is built differently and you need to find what fits your body best. Also you might find that as you lose weight your body fits your bike differently. I've noticed that as I've lost my seat sits in the wrong position. I'll be interested to see what I have to adjust this spring when I start riding again since I've lost so much weight. I hope I don't have to go through the bike seat search again.

Have fun riding all of you and I'll join you soon!

Beth

WaterRat
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh I can't wait til it's warm enough and ice-free enough to ride my bike. I spent a lot of last summer without it as it needed parts, but I should be good to go this year. I have a realy hybrid bike - I think over several years I've replaced almost all of the original parts! It started life as a trail bike, but I've changed the tires to more road-like ones, and I've changed out the handlebars and stem. Then last summer the whole gearing box thing. I swear I could have bought a new bike by now! :lol: Oh, and I bought a women's saddle too. Much nicer, though you still have the "break in" period in the spring.

Cinderly, where do you ride? I'm in Palmer, but I love to come in and ride on the Coastal trail, though the roller bladers freak me out! Have you ever ridden at Eklutna Lake? I'd love to do that, though I need to get some mileage under my belt first.

jamsk8r
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Beth and Waterrat, welcome! Please join in any time, even if you're fighting snow and can't ride outdoors yet. Right now I'm riding rain or shine on my bike days, but I can see where I might want to get a trainer for indoors before next winter, assuming I stick with the sport. Right now, despite the painful seat, it's been a good feeling, just to get out and be doing SOMEthing toward burning this fat off. I'm just so done with all this extra weight!

Wow, 22 miles right off the bat?! :yikes: I feel like a total wimp now, lol!

I do think an odometer would help teach me to ride at a more steady pace. I try to keep it up, but can't tell if I'm keeping steady or not. Plus it would be nice not to have to guess on the mileage when I start changing my route.

Cheryl

CinnamonGirl
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh, don't feel like a whimp. We've both been riding for twenty plus years. I used to be in a bike club in college and we'd ride 20 miles M-W-F and 40 miles T-TR plus race on the weekends. Very hard core! Yuck, glad I'm over that phase, LOL. No time for a life with that kind of schedule. That and all my classes plus I was in a dance company. Where did I find the time? And how did I get so fat? Oh, yeah, life after college. Now that's a different story, LOL.

It's so sunny out here today I want to go riding soooooooo bad. I think we should look into getting the gear to ride in the winter. Not sure if I can convice DH to do that though. We always shake our heads at the guys out riding in -10 windchill. Hmmmmmmm, I'll have to think about how to approach this :D

Beth

jamsk8r
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Beth, I don't know anything about bike riding in winter, but I run my "sled" dogs in the winter (with a scooter, though, because we don't get enough snow here for sledding, just rain, sleet or hail). At first, I didn't want to go in winter, but really it's not that bad as long as you've got layers on and are moving, and I bet bike riding is similar. With the right gear, you'd probably get warm quick, and just wearing gloves and having an optional ear cover plus warm feet would be the main things, I would think. You could try it, and you might actually enjoy it. Snowmobiles are great for packing down snow, so if you have any that ride in your area, you might check out their trails with the mountain bikes.

Cheryl

cinderly
03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Cinderly, where do you ride? I'm in Palmer, but I love to come in and ride on the Coastal trail, though the roller bladers freak me out! Have you ever ridden at Eklutna Lake? I'd love to do that, though I need to get some mileage under my belt first.

Eklutna Lake is a great trail! I've only hiked it, but it's nice and wide. We're hoping to hit it up toward the end of summer, this year.

We love the Coastal Trail! We like to start at Earthquake Park, ride downtown, then turn around and end up back at the car. A nice, easy ride that gets some distance in (and changing scenery!), but it's an all-day affair, since we have to drive to and from the trailhead.

I also want to do Powerline, but haven't worked up to it, yet. :)

We actually spend most of our biking hours in our neighborhood (Scenic Park) and on the trail along Baxter Bog. At our previous place, we rode Russian Jack (literally 2 blocks from our apartment at the time).

I keep thinking I should get some studded fat tires and just get out there, but then I remember that I'm a total wimp when it comes to cold, so I get back on the stationary and just keep hoping spring will come. And grumbling at the weather forecast when snow advisories show up. (Hey, maybe we'll get another St Paddy's surprise! I'd love a snow day off from work.)

WaterRat
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh yes, ooastal trail is all day for me! Usually I end up only doing part of it. I've hiked at Eklutna too. We have nice bike trails here, and I can go beyond Wasilla, at least to Meadow Lakes on the trail - when I work up to it. And it's way too cold and snowy to be biking in Alaska! :)

AnneWonders
03-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I got out on my road bike today. A little less than 7 miles in a little less than 30 minutes. It was a nice ride, a little windy but not to bad, and hot already--almost 90. What happened to spring? Anyway, this was the first time I've been on the road bike (on the road anyway) since November, and my new saddle, stem, and position all checked out at least at this distance. I usually need to ride about 30 miles to really test things out, but I'm going to hold off on that for a couple weekends.

Anne

jamsk8r
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Okay, where'd everybody go? I think I'm going to try hitting some garage sales for an older road bike. I've been looking at new ones and used good ones, and if I do that, I won't have any money left for shorts or an odometer or anything. I looked at converting the bike I have, but again, it would cost me hundreds just to convert, so then I might as well have gotten a better used or new one. I'm just hoping to find something I can use that has drop handlebars and some kind of road tires, that would just get me through a year at least. I just can't afford to invest in a bike this year, and I really haven't done enough riding to be sure it's worth paying for a "real" road bike, even if I did have it. Just any old ten-speed from the 70s would be better than what I'm riding now, though. That stupid discount MTB is killing my hands and the seat is as uncomfortable as ever. There are plenty of new, cheap MTB or Hybrid style bikes to be had, but I want the drop bars and road tires, so I'd just be in the same position I am now. This is very frustrating. Why does everyone only sell MTBs now? Like all these people are hitting the trails? I'm guessing that's a no. Where's my cheap 18 speed road bike? ;)

Cheryl

AnneWonders
03-16-2007, 11:27 PM
DH has been out of town all week, and I've been in the house with the kidlet. Anyway, got out today, did my 25+ miler I've been itching for. A very nice ride, and my bike fit was good, no shoulder issues.

Planning to get about 16 on Thursday, and we'll see what next weekend brings. I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of 20 miles on the road, or maybe around 10 on the trail.

Anne

OneKim
03-18-2007, 07:00 AM
I ride! Well, I did...hehe...before it started getting cold. I'm in Connecticut, but from South Carolina...so I'm a wimp when it comes to this weather. I've been itching to get my bike out, but I just can't make myself do it. I'm with you Cheryl, got a cheap mountain bike, but I plan to get a nicer road bike this year. Can't complain...I mentioned in passing that I wanted a bike, hubby shows up a day later with 2 bikes :) Was good enough to figure out that I love to ride!

I'd worked myself up to a 22 mile ride in NO time last year! I hate that I quit on it so suddenly...I started working nights, got cold...blah blah blah, excuses excuses, huh? I guess I'll have to suck it up soon, bundle up and go! Soon as all the snow is gone, that is...hehe. I can handle falling, but falling into slush? No way!

Enjoy riding...you'll be really surprised how fast you can work yourself up to more distance. Just remember to keep spinning and don't make it too easy on yourself! Enjoy the downhills, but RELISH getting UP the hill!!!!

Kim

jamsk8r
03-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the update, Anne. Sounds like you're getting in some good rides!

Kim, welcome! Thanks for joining us! I haven't been posting my mileage, because it is so embarrassing to post "2 miles", lol. My bike really is about ready for the junk heap. I rode 2 miles the other night, but with some rolling hills this time, in the rain, and I did NOT wimp out on the hills, though there was some cursing involved on the last, longest one, and I had to stop at the one-mile mark because my pedal was about to fall off. For some reason it comes loose no matter how I tighten it down. Then, I was coming down the hill, and had no brakes to speak of. The rain, combined with my weight/momentum, combined with the crappy caliper brakes, left me doing the flintstone braking method to avoid shooting out the end of the hill onto a 4-laner. Sheesh! I tried to fix the brakes, but the back brake was cranked down by some neanderthal (not me) so it doesn't work at all, and there's just not much power in the first place with the front brake only. I've been sticking with the flat surfaces since then, but I'm proud of the fact that I can at least go 2 miles now without having to walk part of it and I am feeling good when I get back.

I might have found a bike. It's an older ten speed, but might be better than what I have now (a tricycle would be better, lol). I'll let you know later, as I'm going tonight to give it a test ride, and purchase if it's one I can use. I looked at road bikes, but can't really, really afford one right now, not if I want to do anything other than survive the next 3 months, lol.

Cross your fingers, because if this bike works out, I could be posting more than 2 miles at a time soon! ;)

Cheryl

jamsk8r
03-20-2007, 02:47 AM
I got the bike! :carrot:

It's in really, really good shape. It looks almost new, though it's a 1990, but it was really well cared for, no rust at all, oiled up and the tires seem new, and I might not even need a new seat, because it seems to have a nice comfy seat so far. It could probably use new brake pads and getting the wheels trued, but it rides great as it is. SO much more comfortable than the mountain bike, and it seems to be a good fit, I'm just so excited! No worries now about being able to have a bike AND do the other stuff I wanted to do with my money this month. I can buy bike shorts and gloves and goggles, too. It already has a water bottle holder that fits mine, and the shifter works just fine through all the gears. It's not high end or anything, but I'm just happy to have something I can call a "road bike", even if it is just an old ten-speed. I really feel like I'll be able to build up my miles on this bike!

Cheryl

CinnamonGirl
03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Oooh, good for you Cheryl! How fun.

We went out and hiked the trail by us yesterday to see if we could get our bikes out for the season. Unfortunately we're alternating between freezing and thawing here so the trails are a mess. I suppose if I was tougher and had a mountain bike instead of a hybrid I could do the trails. But I'm a whimp.

I still have memories of a really bad fall I took off road/trail a few summers ago. Literally bit the dust! If I'd not had my helmet on I'd have for sure broken my nose and probably lost teeth. :fr: As it was I had a huge mouthful of dirt and weeds and had to walk my bike for about 3 miles because every time I tried to get back on a ride I thought I was going to throw up! My poor DH I was the one hurt but he was so scared for me he was white as a ghost! Always wear a helmet! I have to remind myself of that whenever I think it would be so nice to ride with the wind in my hair, LOL.

I took another fall years ago when riding on a country road. A poor skunk decided to run out of a ditch right when I was riding by at a very high speed. It ran right into my front wheel! That was bad. I went over the handle bars into the ditch. The skunk (yes it did stink to high heaven) I'm sure got very hurt by my spokes but ran off into a field so I didn't see how hurt it was. My bike lost lots of spokes and had a bent rim so I got to walk it back about 6 miles into town with lots of road rash and bruises. Not fun. Plus both my bike and I stunk like skunk!

Beth

jamsk8r
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Beth,

Those are some good crash stories. Ouch! I have some good scooter crashing stories, because I run our (crazy sled)dogs with a mountain scooter, but no bike stories (yet). I've been thinking about that one, though, as I start to get fitter and going a little faster on the bike. Oh well, as long as I can get up and walk away from it, it will be alright.

Haven't gotten out on my new bike today yet, and probably won't, with how my schedule is looking. That's okay, though, because I want to go shop and get some bike shorts, gloves and things, to make riding a little more "official" and fun. I have enough money left to join the YMCA, too, which I was hoping for this month. I want to be able to do some weight training, swimming, and maybe start a baby running program on the treadmill (see what my ankle thinks of that).

I feel like my biking program has been good at 3 days a week, as far as coming from zero bike riding before, but now I am feeling more comfortable and not feeling like I need that rest day every time, so I'm going to up the biking, maybe 2 days on and one off, then three days on and one off, or maybe I can just start riding 5 or 6 days in a row, I'm not sure.

I don't want to pull/injure something that would force me to stop, and the one thing still bugging me is my right knee, well, a muscle or something above my knee on the inside really hurts when I go to push down on the pedal on that side. I'm wondering if some sort of sports knee brace would help. That knee has been crappy since I was about 16 yrs old, so it's not the biking, just that it's weaker or maybe I'm not riding in a balanced way and it's putting extra strain on it. I'll try to pay more attention to exactly what I'm doing.

Cheryl

jamsk8r
03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
4 miles on my new bike today (at least, have measured that with the van, but don't have an odometer for the bike yet). That's my longest one yet, but it felt good!

I am thinking we should start a new thread for reporting our miles. Is that okay with everyone? If nobody answers either way by late this evening, I'll just do it, and hope to see you all there when your weather clears up enough for riding. I just figure this one's a little outdated, then we can be cool like the runners/walkers, lol.

Cheryl

CinnamonGirl
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Way to go, Cheryl!

I think a new thread sounds great. I'll hopefully soon be joining you to log my miles. Not too much longer 'til I can get my bike on the trails!

Beth

mudbug
03-24-2007, 12:43 PM
hello,
I'm new here. Well I've been reading posts and wish I could join in everyone here is so supportive of each other and I need that. Had a email
server problem but now I good to go. Been riding for 3 yrs and finally updated my bike from a Huffy to a trek hybred. What a difference!!
It's such a smoother and faster ride. Had a little mishap the other day
and now know how important a helmet is, was lucky. I'm really impressed
on the mileage some of you are doing WOW! I can't seem to break past the 8mile . My town is not very biker friendly and I ride the same road which
is not inspiring . I try to ride every other day , would like to join your
thread to post mileage , keep myself accountable.

jamsk8r
03-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Welcome, Mudbug! :) Please jump in on the new thread.

See you all on the new thread. I thought of calling it "biker chicks chat", lol, but that's probably a bit over the top. :D

(Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to another thread, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.) I think I'll just call it "bicycle chat".

Cheryl