100 lb. Club - What was your happiest food find?

View Full Version : What was your happiest food find?

penor
02-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Since I'm new to the healthy eating thing I'm having,dare I say,FUN(??) finding foods that are actually low fat,low,sugar,low whatever .

So what is your favorite food find that fits into YOUR healthy eating plan?
Mine has to be my whole wheat,low fat,low carb,sugar free tortilla's. I love them so much! I have one with my dinner everynight now. Wrapped with chicken,turkey,turkey bacon,veggies...whatever. I'm doing away with the white flours and stuff so finding tortillas I could eat made me soooo very happy!!!!

What about you?

Slashnl
02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Since I am not great about drinking lots of water, I have been happy to find those Crystal Light packets that you open and mix with a bottle of water. Makes me think that I'm getting a treat rather than forcing down another bottle of water.

royalsfan1
02-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Anything Kashi puts out there. That has become my new ALL TIME FAVORITE brand!

bizlawchik
02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
LaTortilla Factory tortillas - 50 cals and 7g fiber for the whole thing.

Whole wheat 4" pitas - Great w/open faced veggie burgers, tuna melts, and I even came up w/a BBQ chicken pita pizza

Kashi Go Lean, frozen blueberries and 1c Almond Breeze

Veggie burgers!!!!

Finding different ways to make salads. One of my favorites lately is a taco salad.

2 Morningstar Farms Black Bean Burgers, 3c lettuce, 5 scallions, 2oz rf cheese, 9 black olives, 1 1/2T salsa, 1 1/2T rf sour cream, one taco shell, toasted and crumbled. I mix it all in a big bowl with one of the rectangle salad chopper blades so it all gets chopped up and combined like the salad places at the mall. On my program it counts as P,V,V,D,Fa,S and three condiments for the salsa and sour cream. You can leave out the olives to save fat, and cut down on the cheese, which I do a lot, but when I really plan for it, having that stuff in there makes it taste like restaurant food.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Laughing cow lite swiss cheese spread on a stalk of celery. A great combination of protein and carb and great taste too! Also love natural peanut butter on celery....another great protein carb snack...and, of course, great taste. Have to be careful not to have this one more than once a day.....peanuts are good for you, but in moderation due to the fat content.

nelie
02-28-2007, 10:56 AM
One of my favorite food finds is pumpkin puree. High fiber, filling and can easily make healthy treats with it. Related to that, I'm in love with steel cut oats. I make steel cut oats and pumpkin together and it is the most filling snack ever and oh so good.

bizlawchik
02-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah, the Laughing Cow! Also, Alternative Bagels by Western Bagel. 110 calories and 7g fiber (I think) for the whole bagel. Counts as a starch on my plan, and I think it's 1point on WW, but I'm not positive. Laughing cow is good on the bagel too.

Also, love taking low sodium deli turkey or roast beef and spreading some of the laughing cow on that and rolling it up.

And Eggbeaters cheese & chive and 1 slice rf cheese rolled into the latortilla factory tortilla w/a fruit for breakfast.

rockinrobin
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I also love the Morning Star Farms Spicy black bean burger and their Chick Patties. I eat one or the other almost every day for lunch, with my other great food find - Cauliflower.

I also love chicken breasts. And stir frys.

And I just discovered asparagus, which I roast. Easy and delicious.

Also loving Danon Fat free/sugar free 60 calorie yogurt. I sprinkle it with a little Fiber One cereal for added crunch. Great snack.

penor
02-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh I LOVE my egg beaters!(lol) And I was going to buy the spreadable lite cheeses and I couldn't figure out what to spread it on. Duh me! I'm still in the mind set of cheese spread needing to be on crackers.(lol)

bizlawchik
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Robin - I've been wanting to roast asparagus. How do you do it? And what do you do with the cauliflower? I've been pretty into broccoli and mushrooms lately, but I'm willing to branch out.

boaterswife
02-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Laughing Cow cheese....mmmmmm! I use them as a veggie dip for carrots, green peppers and celery. Spread it on a WW bagel and you don't even miss the cream cheese!

More for warm weather, but I love the Skinny Cow strawberry sorbet bars. They are huge, and only 2 points each. They are fabulous...my kiddos would rather have them than a pint of Ben and Jerry's.....enough said!

iwmonn
02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
The Alternative Bagles- YESSSSS!!! And the Pitas are great too (110cal, 8g fiber, 7g protein!) They are wonderful with a slice of lf swiss and some sliced hierloom tomatoes, broiled. Or for a nice lunch I like to make a lil pizza with them. WE also really enjoy the Dryers no sugar added ice cream for a real treat. I don't even keep 'regular' ice cream in the house anymore. OH, And Lightfull Satiety Drinks are a lifesaver too! Again low cals, high fiber AND protein make midmorning and late afternoon snack attacks easier to deal with. Plus the strawberry ones quench my sweet tooth too ;)

I'm still searching for that elusive veggie that I can rave about lol

haeyu14
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
I have discovered that I LOVE zuccini and summer squash! And before I thought that the only good zuccini was found in bread. lol. I find I'm cutting them up and adding them to everything from salads to stirfry to sandwichs. They are so much fun!

jtammy
02-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Robin mentioned Fiber One cereal. I only recently realized what a food find it is. Check out www.hungrygirl.com to see what all you can do with it.

Roasted cauliflower and roasted asparagus - love them both!

Also - thin zucchini slices spread on a cookie sheet misted with olive oil, mrs. dash and parmesan cheese. It reminds me of potato chips or french fries.

Blue bell no sugar added fudgsicles - only 35 calories

2 Big Wasa fiber crackers and 1/2 c of On the Border Salsa - 70 calories for such a filling snack

rockinrobin
02-28-2007, 12:12 PM
OhTammy I love my Fiber One cereal. I just started eating it about 4 or 5 weeks ago. It's great stuff.

Bizlawchik for roasting asparagus, I cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, makes for an easy clean up. I spray it generously with cooking spray. I wash the asparagus and trim the bottoms. I then lay it on the pan, sprinkle it generously with garlic and onion powder, a bit of salt and then spray it again with cooking spray. I then drizzle it with about 1/2 capful of olive oil. Cook in the oven at 400' for about 15 - 20 minutes depending on how thick they are. Maybe give it a mix half way through. Yummy and healtly and low cal.

Vamp
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I have discovered that I LOVE zuccini and summer squash! And before I thought that the only good zuccini was found in bread. lol. I find I'm cutting them up and adding them to everything from salads to stirfry to sandwichs. They are so much fun!

I've found I love zucchini and summer squash too! :) Wal-Mart has a frozen bag of them mixed with tomato and onion that is sooo good.. I cook them on the stove with my egg beaters for a yummy veggie filled scrambled egg mixture.. Totally great for breakfast and really filling. :D

I haven't tried yet but am going to try to wrap the whole mix in a whole wheat tortilla and a little low cal cheese & turkey bacon for a breakfast burrito. :p

sugarlove
02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
SWEET POTATOES!!! :carrot: Seriously, I used to hate the little buggers - potato and sweet just did not go together. When I finally realized that just because they were naturally sweet didn't mean I needed to *eat* them sweet, my life changed.

Here's what I do - peel and slice the sweet potato into fries. Toss with a little extra-virgin olive oil, a healthy shake of cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, some sea salt and cracked pepper, and a good squeeze of lime. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast at about 375, until golden, slightly crisp and toasted at the edges. Love 'em!!! :D The savory spice with the sweetness of the potato works really well - I haven't eaten a "regular" french fry in ages. They're filling, too - one potato is plenty. All this, plus they're low in calories and GREAT for you, too!!

Cheryl14
02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I LOVE Yoplait Fat-Free Boston Cream Pie Yogurt! I eat it alone or add it to my oatmeal or fresh fruit.

G.G. Bran Crispbread is my fav for a snack! I add on Laughing Cow Light cheese for a great, filling, 51 calorie snack.

Apple slices with Jif Crunchy peanut butter have saved me from stopping at fast food places. The peanut butter is satisfying, and the apple is filling. Mmmm!

Baby carrots are sweet and crunchy and delicious!

Cheryl

GirlyGirlSebas
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I forgot.....broiled sliced tomatoes topped with a small spoonful of pesto...sliced yellow squash and onions sauteed in a small amount of olive oil. Two of my favorites...I don't know if I'll ever get tired of them!

royalsfan1
02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I love the squash and onions, too! Also, raw sugar snap peas. Love them!

phantastica
02-28-2007, 01:15 PM
My latest has been Ezekiel brand sprouted-grain tortillas. Fab.

The discovery that was most influential to my diet was balsamic vinegar. It could make cardboard taste good!

Janny O
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi all,
Lowfat cottage cheese-placed into a food processor with a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dry Dip Mix. Blend until smooth. You can dip Baked Ruffles, veggies-or virtually anything. FANTASTIC!!!!
Jan

lilybelle
02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
I love whole wheat pancakes with SF syrup and SF strawberry jelly.
Crystal Light on the go packages taste way better to me than diet soda.

Charbar
02-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Anything Kashi puts out there. That has become my new ALL TIME FAVORITE brand!
ditto!

laughing cow cheese
steamed broccoli - loving it!!
turkey breast - high protein... low everything else!
citrus - oranges, grapefruits, limes

GirlyGirlSebas
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
Lowfat cottage cheese-placed into a food processor with a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dry Dip Mix. Blend until smooth. You can dip Baked Ruffles, veggies-or virtually anything. FANTASTIC!!!!
Jan

MmmmmHmmm....that sounds really good!

For some reason, Crystal Light gives me indigestion. I've never been able to drink it. I do love Barq's Diet Root Beer. I don't buy it anymore as I tend to drink those instead of my water. An occasional Barq's would be okay, but I just can't control myself and I really don't need all of that sodium.

nelie
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I love squashes as well but I grew up eating squashes. In general, I buy frozen veggies but one time I decided to try frozen zucchini and it tasted wrong for some reason. I never tried it again, I just buy fresh for squashes, frozen for basically everything else.

Glory87
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Fage fat free greek yogurt with fresh blackberries.

I'm also a huge fan of the 50 calorie La Tortilla factory whole wheat tortillas, I eat a ton of those.

royalsfan1
02-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Do you make your own WW pancakes or do you buy a mix? I've always made pancakes from scratch and have been toying with the idea of making them again (it's been over a month! haha) but this time subbing ww flour. Didn't know if it would work or not...

RitzyFritz
02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Do you make your own WW pancakes or do you buy a mix? I've always made pancakes from scratch and have been toying with the idea of making them again (it's been over a month! haha) but this time subbing ww flour. Didn't know if it would work or not...

You can replace the white flour with WW. Whole-wheat flour usually can be substituted for part or all of the all-purpose flour in most recipes. For example, if the recipe calls for two cups flour, try one cup of all-purpose and one cup of whole-wheat flour. When completely substituting whole-wheat for white, use 7/8 cup whole-wheat for one cup of white flour.

For a "whole foods" approach, see the below link for a fabulous recipe (a little time consuming but worth it).

http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbatterwaffles/blenderbatterwafflerecipe.htm

twistedhoneydew
02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
RitzyFritz:

You've tried the blender batter pancakes? I'd be worried that they'd be rubbery...normally with pancake batter you want to stir it as little as possible after you've combinded dry and wet, but maybe it doesn't matter because you don't add the leavening until the end? The ingredients certainly sound delicious.

RitzyFritz
02-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I honestly don't know "how" it works, but you may be right about the leavening timing. I just like the fact that they are wholesome. That was ONE THING my husband would NOT give up when we started this new lifestyle, so when I found Sue's recipes, I was was so happy! If you try them, please let me know what you think.

kaplods
02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
My happiest food find, is experimentation itself. I've found that I do like a lot of things that I never did before. Either because my tastes have changed, or I've learned to pick or prepare them better.

Like apples - hate the "Delicious" varieties, love Braeburn, Pink Lady, Fuji...

And eggplant - hate the big italian eggplant, LOVE the slender japanese eggplant

And sweet potato, carrot, peas and squash (I also like sweet veggies prepared in ways that downplay the sweetness)

iwmonn
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Barilla Plus Pasta... a good tasting and wonderfully textured alternative to mushy whole wheat pastas. high fiber and protein plus omega 3's. carbs are high, but because of the other good qualities my nutritionist is fine with it. Even my dh eats it, and he likes it too ;)

swissarmymelody
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Kashi!! I think I eat at least one product from Kashi at least once a day! Also, diet hot chocolate, sugar free preservatives, prunes, Dannon light and fit yogurt and any kind of fruit! :)

Mrs Quadcrew
03-01-2007, 09:50 AM
My homemade hummus (I always have some made up here now) and frozen berries! (but I DON'T eat them together! ;) )

crazynette826
03-03-2007, 02:10 AM
I agree, Laughing Cow Cheese. I probably eat it at least 4 times a week. On veggies or triscuits.
Mashed cauliflower has been my newest fad. I've had it three times this week and if you add a wedge of the LC cheese to it - yum!!
Roasted red peppers have been a favorite of mine for a while.
Oranges and apples of any kind!!
And for a treat once in a while, Dreyers slow churned Take The Cake icecream!

Lifeguard
03-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Susie I'm with you on the sweet potatoe fries. Yum! I even like them cold the next day & they're also terrific done on the bbq.

Another favourite is apple slices (I like granny smith) sprinkled with cinnamon. These are also terrific speared & roasted over the fire when camping. My girl guides love this & it is so much healthier than marshmallows.

My favourite salad right now is baby spinach, granny smith apple, green onion, cherry tomotoes and a little bit of cheese. Yum!!

kaepepper
03-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I absolutely LOVE baby carrots and hummus together. Crunchy and wonderful!

StarSpangled
03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I use Fiber One in salads as a substitute for chinese noodles or croutons. It adds the right amount of crunch to any salad, it makes a copycat chinese chicken type ( applebys) salad great! Fiber One and 60 calorie diet pudding are about the only thing I eat with spenda as I follow the whole foods concept.

I go along with Hummus & english seedless cucumbers, Fage greek yogurt, Kashi crackers, walnuts!

melsfolly
03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Better'n Peanut Butter!!!

Calories - 100 per serving (2 Tbsp just like regular PB which has closer to 200 calories per serving)
Fat - 2.5g (as opposed to 12-16g per serving of regular PB).

I have a 60 calorie snack almost every day - 1 large stalk of celery filled with 1/2 serving of the Better'n Peanut Butter.

I also like the Light Flatout wraps. 90 calories per flatbread, 2.5g fat, 9g fiber.

LindseyLouWho
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Hmm, I love experimenting with new flavors for things and trying to make awesome tasting low-cal snacks now. Some things I've found that are quite good (as far as I'm concerned):

FF cream cheese: I use it with jam, or on turkey sandwiches, or with tomatoes on crispbread
Dannon Light & Fit 60 calorie yogurts
Fat Free/Low Cal Salad Dressings that are actually good: Maple Grove Farms Cranberry Balsamic (20 cals per serving), Raspberry Balsamic (30 cals), Vidalia Onion (20 cals). Also an interesing Strawberry Balsamic (10 cals) I bought, but can't remember the brand.
Mushrooms. I used to eat them from time to time if they happened to be in a Chinese or Italian dish, but now I eat them all the time in stir fry or salads.
Spring Mix bagged salad
Pre-Made bruschetta in a jar that actually tastes like it should
Nature's Own sugar free whole wheat breads

There are tons more, but I don't want this post to be 10 pages long. Basically, I'm loving eating healthy foods. To many people's surprise, healthy doesn't have to mean bland and boring. :)

cinderly
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Current (recently discovered) favorites:

- Granny Smith apple slices with Laughing Cow cheese
- frozen edamame (thawed, of course)
- roasted veggies!!! (zucchini, eggplant, mushroom, & onion w/garlic & olive oil)

Charbar
03-03-2007, 10:38 PM

how do you make your whole wheat pancakes?

they sound yummy... I miss pancakes. I've used SF syrup.. and it's so good.

julzchiki
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
My latest happy food find is Lentils from Trader Joe's. I found it in the refrigerated section and it's in a pouch that you boil and it's ready in just minutes. I've had it with veggies and salmon. I also added it to a veggie soup. So easy and a great way to add healthy, low fat protein. I've heard it's also good with salads.

I can't wait to try it in other recipes in the future.

One recommendation, it is already salted so if you are watching your salt, I recommend you rinse it before adding it to the rest of your food.

sharonrr
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
My family loves steak. Discovering the low fat in buffalo meat was the best find. We love tenderloin buffalo steak. It is a treat because of its expense but I will probably never have beef again.

triplettummy
03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Two new faves:

Special K chocolate delight cereal. Super yummy for a chocolate fix without the guilt!

Kashi pumpkin spice flax bars. They are amazing!

Monica

zoritsa
03-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Roasted Red Pepper with Parmesan dressing by Kraft.I use it on and in everything I can possibly think of.