Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #1  

Default Unusual tips

Hey everyone. I was looking around the older posts and I've seen a lot of threads on tips, but how about one with the quirky advice you've learned and would like to share? We've all read things like park further away from your work and carry a bottle of water... anyone have something a little more offbeat that helps them stay OP?

- If you've a big cereal lover (like me) but don't want to eat it out of control... I find putting my weetbix and milk in the freezer for about an hour before I want to eat them really helps. The milk gets ICE COLD which tastes awesome - I don't even notice that it's skim - and it stops me from going back for a second or third bowl because by the time it'd be ready, I've acknowledged that I'm full.

- If I find myself craving something like hot chips, I visualise it just as the raw ingredients. So I see a potato and a bottle of oil. Suddenly it's not so tasty... nothing especially mouth watering about picturing a bottle of oil and a dirt covered potato, is there?

Anyone else have one?
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wear a pedometer. I love it and I find myself moving around and sneaking in exercise constantly just to see it move up. I also keep my radio on at all times, especially in the kitchen and at the computer. It really keeps you moving.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I hide the dessert menus and placards at restaurants the moment I sit down, and once I push a plate a way, I smush the dirty napkins onto the food left in it so I can't pull it back again.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

Here are some tips I've learned for eating out:

-eat half and take half home
-order a balanced appetizer instead of an entree
-order dressings on the sides, dip into the dressing instead of pour the dressing on the salad
-have a small dinner salad with a vinegar-based dressing before the main course
-share dessert
-sip on a glass of red wine instead of ordering a cocktail

For me, I have a planned grocery list, with some staples that I get every week:

-skim milk
-yogurt
-Golden Delicious apples
-bagged green leafy salad
-lemons
-chicken breasts
-stone ground bread
-low sugar instant Oatmeal
-frozen entrees like Lean Cuisines
-frozen veggies

Also, if I can remember to make it, sugar free Jello is actually pretty satisfying for a sweet dessert, and it comes in a lot of flavors.

Probably my most important tip is to eat breakfast. I just couldn't skip breakfast.

I'm also a cold cereal junkie when the weather is warmer! When the weather is cooler, I like oatmeal. No it's not the slow cooking plain kind, but in a pinch, it takes 2 minutes to make with the microwave and it's very filling!!
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #5  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

A few times I've bought something junky, like chips, eaten a few then thought better of it... and then sprayed windex into the bag so I can't talk myself out of it.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't know if I what I listed is considered quirky.

I also eat an apple about an hour before lunch, or eat a small salad before or with dinner, and it eases my appetite.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresurferchick View Post
A few times I've bought something junky, like chips, eaten a few then thought better of it... and then sprayed windex into the bag so I can't talk myself out of it.

Did you learn that from Big Fat Greek Wedding?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleKC View Post
I don't know if I what I listed is considered quirky.

I also eat an apple about an hour before lunch, or eat a small salad before or with dinner, and it eases my appetite.

Great ideas Michele!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #9  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

When I'm craving something I know I shouldn't have, I sit down and figure out how much exercise I'm going to have to do to burn off all those extra calories.

An extra 45 minutes for some ice cream just ain't worth it to me!

I also keep healthy snacks stashed in my purse all the time. If a craving hits me, I've got something right there that will keep me on plan.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #10  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Did you learn that from Big Fat Greek Wedding?
Haha maybe... windex cures all!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #11  

I drink a big glass of room temperature water with lemon slices in it about 1/2 hour before each meal. It tastes nice and gives me a little fullness so I don't overeat.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 205/136/120

Height: 5'3

Default burn baby

theoreticly, if you drink ice cold water while eating celery, it burns more calories during digestion than the number you ingest. it has something to do with the temperature of the water (tummy needs to warm it up) and the toughness of the celery itself. it may not be a record way of burning calories, but it helps fill you up with possitive side effects.
Samantha039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I start with non reduced-cal recipes, believe it or not, then adapt them to be low-cal by replacing ingredients, modifying steps, adding healthy touches, and etc. I think that most "diet" recipe books sacrifice too much flavor.

I do the same thing when I have a particular craving - figure out what the craving is (tacos!) and make an on-plan version to satisfy it (taco salad with mixed greens, grilled steak, grilled veggies, ff sour cream, salsa, and half a corn tortilla baked until crispy for crunch). It really doesn't work for me to say "I really want a taco, but I have to have a baked italian chicken breast because it is on-plan".

Figure out what foods really make you feel like you're not being deprived. Work those foods, at least a small portion, in every day so long as they don't trigger you to overeat. My day does not feel complete without dessert...its just how it is, and no sugar free jello is going to satisfy it. I build the calories in for 1/2 cup of ice cream of sherbet, every single night.

Buy your chicken broth in bulk. Replace the oil in almost anything cooked (sauteeing, in salad dressings, etc) with it. Use it to make filling soups. Cook your rice in it instead of in water for extra flavor. Its only 5 cals per cup and adds SO much flavor and replaces SO much oil.

Never buy a food you have trouble controlling your consumption of in more than 1 portion. Craving sourdough? Buy a single roll from a bakery. Want chocolate? Go to a chocolate or candy store (Sees is great for this) and buy 1-2 pieces. Leave before you eat them so you're not tempted to buy more when your portion is gone. Don't tell yourself you can't ever eat chips again if you really want them...but do tell yourself that you can't ever keep a full-size bag of chips in the house.

Pick a new veggie, fruit, or recipe at least once a week...for most people, boredom and repetition are murder for your motivation. Some people aren't like this, but for most I've talked to, eating the same things day in and day out may trigger overeating of off-plan foods.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

My ideas may sound crazy, but they've been somewhat helpful for me.

At home, I eat off a salad plate - I guess most people know that. But really, considering the whole stomach size and everything, it works for me.
I also listen to "Italian Love Songs" while preparing dinner and eating.
My daughter and I have "hors d'ouervers" (bagged cleaned cut veggies with or without dressing) or olives (low carb).
And often I'll 'nuke a broth with some frozen veggies for a soup...so we have a multi course meal by the time we get to the turkey and rice.

If we go to a restauraunt I either order an entree to share half with another guest so we split it there or I ask for a "to go" box to be delivered to the table with the entree and immediately cut everything in half and put half in the box so I don't pick at it. It helps me to slow down and enjoy what's on my plate.

Hope these ideas might help someone.

ShyCammie
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #15  
Brittany

S/C/G: 290/Check Tracker/115

Height: 5'5

I love to chew sugar free gum. it gives me some flavor so I feel like I'm "eating" something without having to do it.

and this is an old stand by but I have pictures on my fridge of women I'd like to look similar to
I Heart Diet Coke is offline   Reply With Quote