LA Weight Loss - Intuitive Eating #4

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Intuitive Eating #4

Obsidianbbw
02-23-2007, 08:25 PM
For those of us following Intuitive Eating
Eat when your hungry, stop when your satisfied.

Obsidianbbw
02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
from the previous post.

The spinach collard green thing was a happy accident. Cut up 4 boneless chicken thighs , seasoned and cooking in olive oil, lots of garlic cloves and onions till chicken is almost done. I added the spinach and realized I didn't have enough so I toss in 2 bags of collard greens and cooked all together. Added salt and pepper to taste. Since I am trying to break my habit to beef will probably do another round this weekend.

Spiny....At least you went a head and tried the meal delivery thing and now you know it isn't for you lesson learned.

Do you have anything you eat out of habit? I just naturally seem to gravitate towards beef for some reason. Trying to try more new things so will be picking up some of the substitutes in the organic section this week.

carolr3639
02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Bread for me, Obi, especially crisp bread like Wasa. What is it about bread that is so satisfying?

CinnamonGirl
02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warms thoughts, Spiny. We're in the middle of a blizzard and oooh it's so freakin' :fr: cold here. We cancelled our dinner plans with friends tonight because the roads are so bad. :tantrum: I'm freezing cold and all I want to do is eat. I'm not hungry so I'm going to have some hot tea and see if that helps. I might just crawl under the electric blanket and read.

"Habit" food for me is Kashi Go-Lean Crunch, dry. I try to not eat it every day though because it's become a bit of a trigger food for me. I've discovered I just love crunching. I've realized if I have a day without eating something that crunches I don't feel satisfied. I've been eating a lot of apples and have to get some more crunchy veggies to snack on.

Hope you all are well and warm!
Beth

carolr3639
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
It's bad here in WI, too. I just noticed, Beth, that you are 5'10" so you are pretty close to normal with your weight. I like crunch, too.....Wasa crispbread in particular. I read an article tonight in Woman's Day.......I think it's the April issue but it might be March. It's pretty close to IE but it doesn't call it that. It mentions a book.....can't remember the name just now. It just came today. I'm not much for subscribing to magazines but sometimes when you order from Penny's they give you 3 yearly subscriptions for $5. That's a pretty good deal.

CinnamonGirl
02-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, Carol, I am pretty close to my goal weight - whatever that is. All the charts say 150 but I have really small bones and a lot of body fat so 150 might not be right for me. I guess I won't know 'til I get there.

I'd be interested to know the name of the book you were referring to. I just bought Tosca Reno's The Eat-Clean Diet. She's a regular contributor or Oxygen magazine. So far I really like it. She seems to be subscribing to the IE idea and eating clean so you feed your body really healthy foods instead of dieting on random stuff. I could be wrong about that though as I'm only just starting it.

Beth

meg on a mission
02-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone!
I found this thread from Obi's post here...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105399

Anyway, I suppose that what I am doing is intuitive eating, though I haven't labeled it that way. All I can say is, this is the best decision I have made for myself...to stop obsesing about everything and just listen to what I need. It's amazing what our bodies tell us when we are willing to listen! I am sure many of you have found this to be true, but once I stopped counting and agonizing about everything that went into my mouth, the weight came off faster than it ever had before. And more importantly, this is a way of life that I will be able to sustain for the long term!

I just thought I would say hello and introduce myself...I'm interested to hear more about all of you and your experiences with intuitive eating :)

fiddler
02-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Do you have anything you eat out of habit?

Chips and salsa. It has to be really good chips and salsa though. None of the national brands or stuff out of a jar.

fiddler
02-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Hi everyone!
I found this thread from Obi's post here...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105399

Anyway, I suppose that what I am doing is intuitive eating, though I haven't labeled it that way. All I can say is, this is the best decision I have made for myself...to stop obsesing about everything and just listen to what I need. It's amazing what our bodies tell us when we are willing to listen! I am sure many of you have found this to be true, but once I stopped counting and agonizing about everything that went into my mouth, the weight came off faster than it ever had before. And more importantly, this is a way of life that I will be able to sustain for the long term!

I just thought I would say hello and introduce myself...I'm interested to hear more about all of you and your experiences with intuitive eating :)

Welcome, Meg!

It's great to have you here with us :)

carolr3639
02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Beth, the name of the book is One Hundred Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle. Welcome Meg!!!!

ckatgo
02-25-2007, 03:12 PM
It has been a long time since I posted to this thread and I am sorry for that. I don't know why I am posting this here and not the support thread, but I guess I feel you wonderful people will understand considering you are part of the intutive eating crowd and all.(I am going to pour my heart out here, but a true confession is long over due...)

You see I have spent the past 6 months or so going from diet to diet. Low fat, high fat, low carb, high carb, eat like oprah, eat like her doctors, eat like on south beach, eat atkins..I own every diet book on the market. (no kidding...I do...) and I buy almost everyone that comes out. I will commit to a new plan and then give up on it when my better sense tells me that "I just can't live this way for the rest of my life!" or "what???...no chocolate or pizza or drink olive oil between meals for the REST OF MY LIFE????" I have wasted my whole weekend...a nice weekend at that...surfing around on the net considering the next new diet "thing" that will get me inspired to start over. In the course of all this I weigh more than I ever have, and feel horrible. Horrible about my body, my life. (even though with my problems, like most people have, my life really is good...) Anxiety ridden over my thighs, summer comming up and the fact I have not worn shorts in years. Even though I live in the southern U.S, or gone swimming...I feel like my whole life is wrapped in the next new diet scheme. I am a student and I work, I school has suffered this weekend for surfing the net for diet crap. Meanwhile I see other people talking about the stuff they do for living a life. Friends, movies, art musems, parties, etc. I have none of that. I have literally spent most of my free time, and some time that is not free worrying about dieting.....

I am sooooooooo tired now, my head hurts just thinking about it. My once supportive husband no longer wants to hear about my next new diet. He listens, but then just changes the subject. Doesn't want to hurt me by saying he's tired of it all I guess. I don't want to spend my life in this trap, but I don't want to stay fat either. Where does one go from here? Intutive eating? What is that like? I think I have focused on dieting for so long now that I don't know what it is like to not focus...

Thanks for listening, sorry so long and drawn out. I guess I am just fed up with the whole diet racket and I used to see my dieting as some kind of rebel behavior. (no one around me is on a diet, and they are suffering real health problems because they don't watch what they eat or how much, maybe they all just eat when they are not hungry??? yeah, that was harsh I know, but I am just call it as I see it...) Maybe the most rebelious (sp?) thing I can do is to get off the "diet train" and simply listen to my body.

Once again...thanks for listening...

I

CinnamonGirl
02-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi "I",

I don't know if I can help you much because I've just started IE and am not "good" at it yet. I still struggle with thoughts from my old dieting mentality so I'll just give you the advice I was once given. You have to find a plan that works for you for the long haul not a temporary fix. Check out the "Goal" section of Success Stories and you'll see a lot of people who've made great changes in their lives and have reached their goal wieghts. Check out:

Mrs. Jim - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57320
Glory - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84601
Charles - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100261
Lillibell - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88690
Meg - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84319

along with all the others they are an inspiration to me. I wish you only the best on this journey and keep coming to 3FC for ideas and help.

Beth

carolr3639
02-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I can TOTAllY relate to your post. I am a 57 yr. old mom of 10 and have had a chronic disease, sarcoidosis, for most of my adult life. I am now on prednisone and was on it years ago. My dh is wonderful but thinks if I spent my time exercising instead of reading about weight loss I'd lose. I've walked 6 mi. a day for several months to no avail. At least with IE you can have good days when you don't beat yourself up. You just keep listening................and trying to eat when hungry and stop when satisfied.

carolr3639
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Forgot to mention, ckatgo, that I'm amazed how I don't often crave junk anymore. When all foods are equal they lose their power.

Obsidianbbw
02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Hey ckatgo :hug: feel free to vent/whine/ and or get on the IE soapbox...we are here to support you. I always feel like the whiny one and if the ladies can put up with me you should have no problems.

Rather than plan anything why not just take it one meal at a time? See how you feel and test the waters.

Well this weekend was interesting. one NSV I can now slip my tight jeans off without un buttoning them. Also someone who has known me for the last 6 or so years said I looked like I had lost weight...and he said it with the yeah maybe i need to get your phone number -Where have you been hiding kinda look LOL :D

Bad thing everything ended at about 4am, so I spent 30 min driving around Brooklyn looking for food for me and the people in the car and ate a hamburger then had a Mexican something today so bad Obie had beef :o

Other than that, nothing else going on. Weigh in this week no idea where I'm at...

carolr3639
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I've got that flu that's going around with a bad cough. Now there's one way to get rid of the appetite. What makes everything taste so strange when you're sick? Plus we have about 2 feet of snow and this on again off again rain, sleet, snow type weather all week. Great for skiers! My kids love it.

Obsidianbbw
02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Well all week I have been praying for a 2lb (would put me at 339) loss which would put me in to the 330s. Weigh-in isn't until wed, but i got on the scale anyway....335...woo hoo. Make me much closer to the size I wanna be to buy summer clothes much more attainable.

carolr3639
02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Way to go Obi!!!!!!!!!!!

fiddler
02-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Great job, Obie! :)

Spinymouse
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi and Welcome to Meg and Ckatgo! Congratulations to Obi on those pounds that keep coming off! You are going to have to hurry up and get those "before" pictures taken!
Ok - I'll be back later....
jo

carolr3639
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Do any of you ever read the maintainers thread? I was so surprised to hear one person say she ate 3000 calories when she went out for a special dinner. Guess they have problems just like we do. Has anyone ever read about the feast or famine cycle? Kind of made me think of that.

CinnamonGirl
02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh, I've been so busy I've not been able to check in...

Congrats, Obi!! Woooohooooo for you! :cp:

Beth

2frustrated
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
:wave:

:cp: Obie - you are TOTALLY on a roll gal! :high: Slipping off those jeans, a compliment AND a scale victory! Happy week for Obie! :hyper:

Carol - was that the same person eating at the fondue place? :barf: I read all of what she had and just felt ill. I'm not judging if paperclippy's reading this, I just couldn't eat that! :barf: But you know, we all silp up and there has been many a time where I've sat at the table and had starters, mains and a dessert then been so ill afterwards :barf: One time I was with my (then) future-in-laws and GOSH was it embarrassing to have to ask them to stop the car so I could use the bathroom at a pub on the way home :o

I'm doing well so far with IE, however I've had a couple of moments where I've thought, "Am I REALLY hungry or is my tummy just gnawing at me, or am I just thinking about it too much...?"

And yeah, I know what you mean about food losing its power now nothing is off-limits! :lol: I'm finding my diet's changing, not dramatically, but just different. :dunno: I've got full-fat greek yoghurt (DH bought it by mistake, but I'm eating it!), and low-fat cream cheese that I wouldn't have bought before because there wasn't enough protein in it! (Former eating-for-muscle type!) I'm also not really eating proper meals any more. Before I used to eat 6 small meals a day and they were all balanced etc. But this morning I've already eaten breakfast and 2 snacks and a couple of apples on the side! And yesterday I had a great lunch, which was really satisfying and I didn't need to even think about food till I got home from work which is very unusual for me!

How do you tell if you're still hungry if you've eaten? Do you eat your sandwich or whatever then wait for 20 minutes and see if you're still hungry or do you just *know* somewhere that you're stomach isn't quite full enough? Last night I had a healthy Subway (turkey, no dressing, salt etc) but I knew that it wasn't enough. I think mentally I knew that I'd used a lot of calories working out and that my lunch wasn't that high in calories, and that if I didn't want to be hungry later on, then I should eat some more. So I did eat some more and was pretty much satisfied till this morning. I even managed to buy a whole roll of chewy sweets and ate only 2!!!! :faint: Not something I've ever really done before. See, they lost their power, because they weren't a treat and I knew I didn't need them because I wasn't hungry but I just wanted to chew something! :lol: :dizzy:

Heck what a diatribe! But I feel like I could write about IE all day!!! :lol: I'm finding something completely new to me, since I've been overweight since I was a very very small child and I never remember being hungry as a child, except when I was on a diet!!!!

I was talking to DH the other day (here I go again, sorry I was winding down, but here we go!) and he is a naturally skinny guy. I asked him how he knew he was hungry? I mean do you wait till your tummy rumbles or do you know? Or is there something else. I was describing how I didn't know if I was hungry or not, but then I felt really really faint and still didn't have tummy grumbles, so I decided to see if eating would make it better, and surprise surprise it did! :lol: He said he never gets a rumbly tummy, he always just feels faint when he's hungry. How awful! I hate feeling like that!

And another thing... If you wait until you're hungry before you start making dinner, then surely you only want to eat things that are quick to make? I was in the house alone on Friday and I waited until I was hungry, but then all of a sudden I was STARVING so I made the quickest meal possible. Do you end up getting a feeling for how hungry you're going to be? Like if I go on how hungry I'm feeling now, I'm at about 5 (and have been all morning!) on that 1-10 scale. So do I guess that in about half an hour I'll need to eat? :crazy: :dizzy:

So yeah, sorry for the diatribe, I really am signing off now! :lol: As you can tell this is all new for me! :eek:

Obsidianbbw
02-28-2007, 09:30 AM
First just wanna say thank you all for the well wishing....I was telling a co-worker there is absolutely no doubt in my mind I could have done this without all you wonderful ladies....You all ROCK :carrot: Just get all emotional thinking of all the help and support.

Didn't read the thread, but I every now and again I go to Applebees (still have no idea why I love it so much) and eat 2000 calories....nowadays I split the meal over 2 days, but I eat every last bit.....was she binging...I think I have a complex about reading the maintainers thread as if I don't qualify to read it wacky I know...Only forum I've never even peeked in.

Do any of you ever read the maintainers thread? I was so surprised to hear one person say she ate 3000 calories when she went out for a special dinner. Guess they have problems just like we do. Has anyone ever read about the feast or famine cycle? Kind of made me think of that.

frustrated-glad to see your enjoying the IE. I know I am hungry level 1-3 when I start wondering about food, when I am satisfied or just not hungry doesn't occur to me. By level 4-7 I start feeling funny and very focsed on eating....and 8-10 is rumbling tummy and faint.

In theory With IE your not supposed to eat because you think you'll be hungry later, but I do it...saves me from being stuck somewhere like my 2 hours bus ride home or in the movies and getting hungry....also I like to avoid the ravenous I have to eat something now feeling. I try and keep fruit or a snack with me for those moment. I was thinking of trying the always controversial 100 calorie snacks. By the end of the day I'm tired of fruit and I notice I want something that will hold me over the trip home. Something I love about beauty of IE it is easy to take it and make it you own....no controversy about changing the rules because there is only one and even that is pretty flexible.

:D

OK, I am all peace and love today because I'm down.....goodness knows what I'll be like when it slows down or stop :faint: ....also I think me and the guy I am dating might try and work things out.....we'll see

oh yeah and we LOVE:hat: long posts here...so write as much as you like. Spiny and Fidder hope everything is ok Carol Feel better and Cinnamon :hug: sending you some love too.

meg on a mission
02-28-2007, 09:32 AM
2Frus-
I could have written what you just posted! I am constantly asking myself if I'm really hungry, how hungry is hungry enough to eat, should I eat every time I am hungry to lose weight, etc., etc., etc...I mean, I know what it feels like when I am REALLY hungry...my stomach rumbles, and I do feel faint if I don't get fed :D ...but HOW hungry should I be when I eat?! Ahhh, aside from this, intuitive eating is no problem, but as a former obsessive calorie counter, maybe I am afraid to feel hungry at times when I feel I am not "supposed" to be hungry? I don't know! I really have nothing enlightening to say, I guess this is just a really longwinded way of saying that I can relate to your questions, and would also appreciate any advice!
Have a great day everyone!!

fiddler
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I am constantly asking myself if I'm really hungry, how hungry is hungry enough to eat, should I eat every time I am hungry to lose weight, etc., etc., etc...

My rule is, if I have to ask, I'm not hungry enough yet ;)

And no, I don't eat every time I'm hungry. I'm just not that focused on food anymore, and it's not going to kill me to be hungry for a few hours.

However, (and this is more directed at 2frustrated) make sure that you are drinking enough water, especially if you find you start feeling faint when you get hungry. I think a lot of times dehydration makes us think we are "hungry."

carolr3639
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Fiddler, You always give such good advice. But, Obi, I like your idea, also, because you've made IE you own even if someone else says you shouldn't do something like eat ahead of time. 2frus, your hubby is a good place to start to learn IE. Even some books suggest to watch naturally thin people. Even my skinny teens start to gain after they get married. Years ago my mom came for a visit and I know she was upset about my weight. My 5th child was about 5mo old and I had decided to stop thinking about dieting because I was driving myself nuts. In the next 3mo. I lost 9lb without dieting. So it is possible.

carolr3639
02-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Should have mentioned that I was quite a bit thinner back then, too. But more pregnancies and more bouts with prednisone made it hard to give up dieting. I should have given it up.

Spinymouse
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Fiddler and I had some pictures taken last weekend. Here we are! I'm the one with the mouse. (that white thing is a mouse.) :mouse:

Obsidianbbw
02-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Ah fiddlers right, we had a whole discussion a while back about it being ok to feel hungry...not the end of the world.

My feeling of thirst and hunger are pretty different. Funny thing when I am thirsty I start to feel sick to my stomach...I don't measure how much water I drink, but if I haven't had enough liquids the day before I'll get dry mouth in the middle of my workout.

Fiddler, You always give such good advice. But, Obi, I like your idea, also, because you've made IE you own even if someone else says you shouldn't do something like eat ahead of time. 2frus, your hubby is a good place to start to learn IE. Even some books suggest to watch naturally thin people. Even my skinny teens start to gain after they get married. Years ago my mom came for a visit and I know she was upset about my weight. My 5th child was about 5mo old and I had decided to stop thinking about dieting because I was driving myself nuts. In the next 3mo. I lost 9lb without dieting. So it is possible.

Obsidianbbw
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok, I need to vent. Firmly planted on the soapbox:mad:

I really believe people have to be ready to accept things into their life...weightloss being one of them, and i try not to shove things down peoples throats...but it amazes me the amount of stuff I have learned on 3fc and just wanna smack some sense into them.....

On to my point. There is this really nice lady who works in my office and she and I are the same size, but she is smaller and it is all in her stomach. She wants to lose some weight for her sisters wedding and we were talking.

She is going to eat pretzels and soup today and see how she goes. She went to the doctor and he told her she would have to eat 1200 calories a day to lose a pound a week and 700 to lose 2 lbs a week. She also feels in order to lose serious weight you have to basically not eat anything.

I just wanted to shake her. I told her I'm not on a diet, I've lost 22 lbs and going strong and there isn't anything I can't eat. So it is possible...then she said she has PCOS...and I showed her the forum on 3fc.....and sent her the link. I think whatever she does I hope she picks something reasonable and something that doesn't have her following horrible diet advice...

CinnamonGirl
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Obi, I can't believe her doctor told her to eat only 700 cals to lose 2 lbs/week! That poor woman if she does that she'll lose no lbs/week. What kind of horrible doctor is that?!

I'm finding IE easier and easier everyday. I am also trying very hard to stick to whole foods 90% of the time. So far so good. The funny thing is that the more whole foods I eat the less bad stuff I crave. Lately I've been eating a lot of Yams. They are so good! I've also been eating more eggs and feel so much more satisfied. I do need to find more things to crunch on because I'm a real "cruncher".

Do any of you have foods that you know you just can't have around even while doing IE? I found I just can't have Fritos and sour cream. We were going to have friends over for home made chili so I bought all the fixin's. Well one of them got sick and DH and I were left to eat chili for days. I ate 6 Fritos with too much sour cream then flushed all the sour cream down the drain. My DH hates it and I knew I'd eat the whole thing if I kept it. Just can't IE the super salt/fat of Fritos and sour cream.

Beth

Obsidianbbw
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
When IE goes out the windows.

Applebees (although slowly coming to terms with it)
Ben and Jerry's
Scallops with bacon (no idea why) It is a specific brand and I had to just say no because I would by a pack and eat a pack...I would make sure I was hungry to justify it, but they giving them up for lent.
Used to be fruit juice but seem to be ok witht his.

meg on a mission
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Obi- That's so sad, that that poor woman received such ridiculous advice from her DOCTOR...wow...I don't even know what to say about that!

But on to the real reason I hopped on here...does anyone know of a good book about Intuitive Eating that they can recommend? I have been trying to eat intuitively, but problem is, I am having trouble trusting my own intuition...lol...and reading more might help me to be more comfortable, as I am a recovering psychotic calorie counter (not an insult to calorie counters, but when I do it, I become completely obsessed...not healthy). Anyway, it would be great if anyone has some good book suggestions...thanks! :)

Obsidianbbw
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I think most of us liked the overfed head, and I personally liked the intuitive eating book (the title is actually intuitive eating).

Ok I know carol does alot of IE reading...

carolr3639
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
My favorite is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens because it is short and to the point. Fiddler and Jo, What a nice picture!!!! Beth, If you eat nothing but your trigger food for a few days it will not look good anymore. The Weigh Down Workshop has some good IE ideas and most of her strange doctrine is not in her first book. Naturally Thin By Eating More by Jean Antonello is old but has a newer version.......I don't know the difference in the 2 versions. Obi, Hope you can help your friend.

Spinymouse
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, I was hoping to start a trend by that picture I posted on page 2 -- come on, lets see you all post some pics!! Ah, but I never was a trend-setter!
jo

carolr3639
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Jo, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to put pictures on here. I'm not sure I could do it if you told me how. ha!

CinnamonGirl
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Carol, I've done that in the past since I only make a huge crock pot of chili a couple times a winter. I can eat a whole large tub of sour cream and a large bag of Fritos in a two or three days aways followed by hours of sugar cravings. Yuck! It's a total trigger food for me so no that idea would just not work for me. That's part of how I got fat through the years. I am doing very well with IE but I know there are certain trigger foods that I probably will chose to not bring into my life again. To me it's really not that big a deal because I really don't like how that tastes anyway and it really reaks havoc on my body.

Beth

Obsidianbbw
02-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Spiny has spoke, LOL hopefully there is a picture attached to this. It isn't the best, but I won't subject you to the others. It was taken while I was on vacation last summer.

Spinymouse
03-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Obi! Wow! Thanks for posting your pic! YOU Rock with gorgeousness! I can see the SPIRIT in you!

2frustrated
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello chatty bunch!

If you have to ask then you're not hungry. Yes I see the logic there. However I think when I KNOW I'm hungry I'm too hungry. I get the teatime tantrum! :tantrum: and I nearly bit DH's head off last night while I was getting something to eat! I'm very definitely not dehydrated - I drink about 6L of water a day, about 1 and a half gallons I think that is!

Spiny and Obi, great pictures! Let's see if I can get one of me up here!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/flurogoddess/IMG_0848.jpg me looking reasonably normal

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/flurogoddess/jengloves2.jpg Me like I usually look when I'm training!

As for foods I can't have in the house. Any kind of biscuit. :p They will be GONE! Vamoose if I get my little paws on them! I'm trying to learn though. But I figure I don't really need them so I just don't buy them any more.

Obsidianbbw
03-01-2007, 11:09 AM
I have to say we have a nice looking bunch women here....

Spiny you might be seeing the several rum runners I had....

-Obie

Obsidianbbw
03-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Challenge...wondering if any is a member of one here. I've noticed we're pretty relaxed.

I am sorta in the Lent challenge. I don't post to it regularly, but trying to stay away from what I gave up.

Obsidianbbw
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I post mine in the 300+ monthly excercise thread and another Sista going from NY to LA (every min= 1 mile) makes it more interested.

May I join in?

It looks like I've been following you guys plan with knowing it.

I love and I think it's great.

I've been posting my excersing minutes daily in the SBD forum because I used to be on it but I can't find anywhere else to post it.

2frustrated
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
:wave: Hello!

I'm a member of the Easter Challenge over in UK Chicks, just for fun but that ticker's been looking like that for about 4 weeks! :lol3: I'm also doing a points challenge in Support Groups where you get points for water, food, exercise etc. Oh and you mention Lent - I've given up chocolate for lent. Done it before, it's too easy! :lol: I couldn't think of anything to give up that would've been a big challenge, apart from maybe bread, but that's just silly! :crazy: Well maybe next year!

jusj - you could post your exercise minutes in the Exercise forum? There's a thread there called exercise accountability or something similar!

Oh and I forgot to say, that 700kcal a day diet sounds STUPID! I swear you can buy a PhD on the NET and become a GP these days! :lol:

carolr3639
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow! This place is really buzzin. Welcome, jusj557. 2frus. looks like you have lost a lot of weight. Maybe you mentioned it before but what plan did you use? Thank you all for the nice pictures. I am excited because another site where I post.......the administrator is using IE and has lost 15lb.

fiddler
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
:rofl: Laughing at the 700 cal per day diet.

I had dinner with Jo (Spinymouse) Saturday night. Had a 14 oz. rib-eye steak slathered in green peppercorn sauce, mashed red potatoes, cup of chicken tortilla soup, wilted spinach salad with bacon dressing, cheesecake, coffee with cream, and at least one glass of wine (Jo kept topping it off so I'm not sure how much it actually ended up being). I have not been depriving myself since then either, and I have dropped 4 pounds since Saturday.

I've finally had time to get back in the gym. First time I've been there in a month, and it sure felt good. :D

Spinymouse
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
2frust: You look gorgeous tooooooooo! I especially like the black and white photo with the pink gloves. And you don't look overweight at all.
Jusj: Hi and welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you!

Spinymouse
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
interesting link re: the starvation mode myth
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=fitness&id=4345046

carolr3639
03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for that Jo. I printed it off and will read it soon.

Spinymouse
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Here is another thing I found (I have been searching "starvation mode" because I am rebellious against the term as it is commonly used. I found a website for some fitness guru Jeremy Likness and I copied this from it -
I really agree with his "who cares?" remark.
I guess I like to think that if and when all things get close to ideal for me, that I will consume very little - like I did when I WAS very little (and that was just intuitive.)

So forgive me for being kind of Devil's Advocate about the 700 calorie diet idea - it's not for everybody, that is for sure!!

But here is what I copied from the Likness site:

Q ] How do I avoid "starvation mode?"

I always love the starvation mode argument. "Don't go under 1000 calories or you'll be in starvation mode." Starvation is when you are not getting nutrients or energy - zilch, nada. It is true starvation - i.e. not eating.
No, you will not go into some special mode after 6 hours of not eating. I've fasted for days before, and contrary to the popular trend, I did not suddenly lose 15 tons of muscle mass and become a thin sluggish weakling. I fasted for spiritual reasons and when I was done, I eased back into my regular nutrition program and was fine.
Starvation mode is something that serves two purposes. In the mind of marketers, its a great scare tactic to shock people into buying supplements to make sure they have something on the road and don't go into that scary starvation mode. It is also great to market systems because Americans like to eat. So any system that says, "Lose fat by eating more" is going to sell.
The second purpose it serves is for the person on the diet. It is a great justification for never going low enough to achieve phenomenal results - after all, they may kick into starvation mode. Better to have a reason to keep calories up and blame the inability to lose that last bit of ab flab on something else.
Seriously: when you lower calories, your metabolism goes down. This isn't starvation mode, this is your metabolism slowing down. The thing is, who cares? I know the trend is to say it's better to eat more and have a burning metabolism.
Personally, I don't see how a slow metabolism is any worse than a fast one if you are eating nutrient dense. In other words, I know of a 1200 calorie diet with far more nutrients than a typical American 3000 calorie diet. If it is sustainable and enjoyable, who cares if the metabolism is a bit slower? The idea is that it is easier to lose fat, but if you reach your goal and are maintaining, theoretically you don't have to lose more fat.

Obsidianbbw
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I actually am starting to have issue with the whole starvation mode thing, but just can't see maintaining any kinda of eating normalcy on 700 calories....There have been days where I know I was at about 1000-1200 and wasn't interested in eating anything else...just can't see 700.

Spinymouse
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Obi, I know what you mean - it's hard to eat that low and get proper nutrients and feel satisfied, but, then like that fitness guy said, most people don't get proper nutrients anyway on much higher calories. I guess my only point is that I think people get overly alarmed at the idea of eating very little, as though any of us were going to starve to death or some other horrible consequence. Karen Carpenter I am not. Now, let me tell you about my mother, God rest her soul...
This woman ate probably even less than 700 calories a day. Now I hope I don't get kicked off of 3fc for saying that, but no one would have ever thought of her as unhealthy. She was not skinny; just average; about 120 lbs and 5'3". And before anyone says that is not possible, well, maybe she could have gone in some book of world records or something but really, she had that old depression mentality about stretching every penny mixed with old school-Catholic indoctrination about sin and indulgence and so she just ate a bare minimum. (and no, she did not "sneak food" as she would not have bought any extra to sneak.) As far as I know I probably inherited some metabolic similarities to her. My dad always told me "I never saw your mother eat." Well she never had any nutritionally-related illness that I know of, and died in surgery of an air embolism which of course should not have happened, but she was 82 and who knows how much longer she would have lived had that not happened.
I have no idea if she ever got "hungry." If I could go back in time, I'd ask her.

Obsidianbbw
03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
You know, just being on 3fc and the IE thread has taught me there are no absolutes about anything and anything is possible. No one, not even doctors are complete experts about EVERYTHING and really eating and/or weightloss is VERY personal. Even the people who have lost alot of weight I feel found a plan that worked for them, and i may take pieces from here and there, but in the end I need to do what works for me.

So I think if your mother lived to 82 at 5'3 and 120 lbs and ate the way that worked for her...who am I...or anyone else to judge?

So I guess if my friend at work wants to eat 700 calories a day I need to have a coke and smile and keep my mouth shut...blah....

Ok, feeling very militant....

Spinymouse
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
So I guess if my friend at work wants to eat 700 calories a day I need to have a coke and smile and keep my mouth shut...blah....

Ok, feeling very militant....

I like militant:D

Regarding having a coke: I have sometimes remembered growing up in Detroit and having Faygo "pop." My favorite was Faygo Rock and Rye. I thought you could only get it in the Detroit area, and then I was in a funky deli (here in CA) and saw it! For the first time in ages, there was Faygo Rock and Rye! In an old-fashioned nostalgic looking bottle. I BOUGHT it, and am now regarding it as some kind of sacredly scarce icon. I guess I'd better drink it.

2frustrated
03-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Carol - you ask about my weigh loss, and it's funny really but I think what did it was subconcious IE!!!! :lol: Long story short... Let's see. Overweight ALL my life. Dieted at 7 years old under Dr's supervision. Counted calories - 1000 a day. Was HUNGRY all the time. :p Lost some weight, but put it all back on when I came off the diet. Surprising huh? Got up to about 210 at age 14, and stayed there for a fair while. Then I moved in with my Grandparents and was SO unhappy not to be living at home, lost a few friends at school and decided to skip lunches and breakfasts and starve myself thin. Lost 28lbs. Next summer went to boarding school and started exercising with weights and swimming and eating the 4pm snacks that we were given and put on 28lbs! :lol: Then worked in a sweet shop :rolleyes: And put on another 14lbs, so up to 226. Then left home and started living by myself, lost sweetshop weight. Back to 212. Went to Uni, went out with BOY. BOY dumped me. Convinced myself it was because I was fat. Lost 7lbs eating not a lot at all really. Got job in kitchen over that summer and got Fibro too (or equivalent) lost another 7lbs through being sick of the sight of food that I lived on about 2 bowls of cold cereal and a slice of bread, or a couple of potatoes or whatever was leftover in the kitchens at the end of the shift. Then went back to Uni, joined gym, lost 14lbs through eating reasonably healthy and supplementing a bit with slim fast and snacking on Sugar Free jelly (Jello). Didn't properly count calories at all during this time. Moved in with my (now) DH and lost about another 14lbs (is this adding up right??? :lol: ) counting calories (1200 a day :faint: ) and I joined my kickboxing class :love: I remember being at 168 then. Last year I started running and got down to 162.5, my lowest ever. Unfortunately I'd stopped lifting weights too. Then wedding stress set in and I gained about 6lbs or so between last May and last November. Fortunately the dress just about still fit! Then on honeymoon I put on about 7lbs :lol3: then dropped a few before Christmas, then put more on, then took a few off and here I am at 174. This past year or two I have been religiously counting calories, running, lifting, kickboxing. I've upped my protein intake considerably and all I've got to show for it is nice big muscles. Which I love. But I think counting calories and worrying overmuch and worrying if I'm getting enough protein and if it's "clean" just about did my little head in!!!! So I'm thinking that relaxing my mental state might do me some good. Also that goal weight there <- is more about a "dream" weight. Yeah it's be nice to be that weight, BUT I know you'd be seeing my ribs at that weight and I don't really want that! Heck you can already see my ribs above my boobs and I hate that. But we'll see what results IE produces, and I really think that this is the first step in being healthy and slim for the rest of my life. I don't think calorie counting for the rest of my life is healthy. I don't think worrying about protein/carb/fat rations is healthy either. It's just not practical. On my (future) baby's first birthday am I going to bake her a high-protein, low-carb, macronutrient dense birthday cake??? Or am I going to buy the biggest stickiest confection I can find and live life to the full? I think that's a no-brainer, personally! And I know I'm preaching to the converted now.... :lol:

(sorry, that was a BIT long!!!!)

fiddler - I love that you talk about all that food! It sounds yummy! I recently described what I ate for a nice (and mainly healthy) Sunday meal out on another thread and got the flippin Food ****s saying that I made them hungry! :rolleyes: Then they started a "Food Porn" thread where we could "confess" our food porn sins. :rolleyes: Needless to say I don't post on that bit any more. LIGHTEN THE HECK UP!!!! :lol:

Spiny - :o Thank you! I love that pic too! :D I think I might get it framed and hang if on my wall. I look mean! GRRRR! :lol:

Re: "Starvation Mode" Personally I'd rather not eat less and be thin. I want to eat so that I don't feel like passing out all the time and so I'm not snappy with DH! I know if I go too long without food I turn into the 3-headed she-devil! :devil: RRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! But I agree, I think it's quite a myth. But on the other hand, I think the body does adapt very well to things and I think sometimes if you've been on very low calories for a while, then you eat a fair bit the next day, your body thinks, "Oh wait, there's plenty of food, I don't need to hang on to this flab quite as hard as I have been doing, maybe we should burn some off." You know, like what happened to fiddler after her big meal? :dunno: I think the body needs change sometimes.

Spinymouse, your story about your mum reminds me of a book I read, "Eating Myself" by Candida Crewe. It's a UK book but you might be able to get it on Amazon. It's well worth a read. It's about one lady's normal abnormalities with food. If that makes sense. She describes how much she doesn't like her body and sometimes all she'd eat for lunch is a mango. But this was in an effort to get/stay slim. She describes filling her hunger with diet coke and chewing gum and dieting down to look fab for an event, then she realises that actualy it's not worth all that just to look a little bit thinner. It's a great read, but it depresses me because I feel if she just had a bit more body confidence then she'd be a happy person. But instead she's a normal weight person who wears black and thinks she can't wear a bikini and hides. Another book I'm reading is "Diary of a Fat Housewife" which is in print in the US. THAT's another depressing book because she is overweight, but she really hates herself. I just want to reach out to people like that and say, "But you ARE fabulous." And I know this is common dieting wisdom, but you really do have to love your body to get fit and healthy with it. If you're constantly hating yourself, then of course you're going to subconsciously abuse your body by sitting it on the couch with a bucket of chicken, because you don't think you're worth any more than that. But I do also understand that it's a long climb from the bottom when you're sitting there in your underwear with your greasy paw in the bucket of chicken :lol:

Anyway, I'd better do some work, since I've been here an hour and a half and only posted on 3FC! :o :lol:

carolr3639
03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for that, 2frus. It was very interesting.

carolr3639
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Jo, We have friends from the Detriot area that always bought the red pop. I'm not sure I ever tasted it because I'm not much of a pop drinker. Could be because my folks never kept pop around unless company was coming. My dh's parents always had pop around and he is quite a coke addict. He did, however, give it up for 2 yr after being taunted by my mom that he could never give it up. Right before he turned 50 he lost a lot of weight but gained it all back.

Spinymouse
03-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Interesting, 2frus! I smiled about the she-devil part. Maybe that's part of the reason my mom was so mean. I'll check out the books you recommended. Thanks! I don't know what my mom really thought of herself. I do know she didn't care about looking fashionable at all. She deprived herself of food the same way she deprived herself of everything else most women seem to like - nice clothes, the hair salon, jewelry, etc. ****, I would get in trouble for buying her a CARD because it was an unnecessary object, and what was she supposed to do with THAT?

But I know what you mean about the worthless feeling. For me it turns into drinking wine rather than eating the bucket of chicken.

And I haven't had regular soda in years - but it will be interesting to see what the Rock and Rye tastes like after all these years. Probably I'll say "ptooey, do they have to make it THIS sweet??"

I need to get back into exercise. I haven't done a thing in 3 years. Ugh. It's so un-fun.

Oh well. Leftover tuna casserole for breakfast today.

Thanks to all for listening.

CinnamonGirl
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
... And I know this is common dieting wisdom, but you really do have to love your body to get fit and healthy with it. If you're constantly hating yourself, then of course you're going to subconsciously abuse your body...

Oh, that is so true!

Beth

Spinymouse
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
The concept of loving one's own body is very unfamiliar to me.

CinnamonGirl
03-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh, Spiny, me too. I "practice" loving/liking my body every day. Some days I fail miserably and others I do pretty well. Today is a good day. I had to go out to help DH blow out our 1/4 mile long driveway so threw on my ski pants. I haven't worn them since last winter when they were skin tight. Today I could pull them on without un-doing velcro or zippers. They are baggy! I'll have to buy new ones and give these to DH. I stood in front of the mirror laughing. What a great feeling. I still have lots of body fat and am working on getting rid of that but boy did it feel good to remind myself that I'm better off today than yesterday. Now tonight when I get ready for an evening out may be a totally different story.

Beth

fiddler
03-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Welcome to all the new people! :D

I've been busy (as usual) so haven't had much time to post. But it's sure fun to read what's going on with everyone else. It really brightens up my day. :)

Spinymouse
03-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi IE Pals -
Obi, I thought of you because I went to Applebees for lunch, with a co-worker who is no longer a co-worker as of the end of today, and I am very sad about it.
The intensity of our discussion and my emotion caused me to not be attentive to my satiety, and it was only after the lunch that I realized that I felt uncomfortably full, although I did not eat all of my lunch.
Well I am feeling very melancholy tonight, and of course I am drinking wine, and thinking how I might have been too blabbery here lately, (but thanks for listening!) and I have rediscovered a quote I like, for amusement purposes:

"'Shut up,' he explained." - Ring Lardner

Hope everyone is doing well,
jo

Obsidianbbw
03-03-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm feeling a little off tonight. Its after 1am and I can't seem to make myself go to sleep. With all the good stuff happening seems like I can't stop mourning my relationship. It isn't officially over, but it is definitely on life support. I almost want it to over for closure, but there is still the spark of hope it will all work out...Also I think I medicated with food tonight...Didn't realize till I typed this post. Blah....well at least I recognize and know for next time.....

-obie, awake and wishing she had tivo'ed more Monk.

Well I am feeling very melancholy tonight, and of course I am drinking wine, and thinking how I might have been too blabbery here lately, (but thanks for listening!) and I have rediscovered a quote I like, for amusement purposes:

"'Shut up,' he explained." - Ring Lardner

Hope everyone is doing well,
jo

Spinymouse
03-03-2007, 10:46 AM
I was right about the Rock and Rye being too sweet. I have now had my year's worth of high fructose corn syrup in that one bottle of "pop." Those little-girl taste buds are long gone.
And another thing. Why does Applebees not have any vegetarian choices on their menu? I've never seen a restaurant like that. And what the heck does spinach have to do with bacon, anyway? Can't even get a salad without animals on it.
Well, good morning everyone. It's back to my own home cookin'. Have a good weekend.....

Obsidianbbw
03-03-2007, 11:24 AM
LOL, maybe thats why I love it and all the chain restaurants are like that by the way...I think their vegetarian options are...salad :lol: Their one concession to weight loss is the weight watchers menu. It is a total guilty pleasure because it is complete crap ....crap I only eat when I go there.....Poor Spiny...

I was right about the Rock and Rye being too sweet. I have now had my year's worth of high fructose corn syrup in that one bottle of "pop." Those little-girl taste buds are long gone.
And another thing. Why does Applebees not have any vegetarian choices on their menu? I've never seen a restaurant like that. And what the heck does spinach have to do with bacon, anyway? Can't even get a salad without animals on it.
Well, good morning everyone. It's back to my own home cookin'. Have a good weekend.....

Spinymouse
03-03-2007, 12:05 PM
OMG Obi - I just realized that you live in NY/NJ and so I assume near NYC - and you eat at Applebees!!??? I am imagining all the funky/wonderful/exotic/ethnic choices you must have out there. And you pick Applebees!!!

I guess you remind me of myself though because as soon as I typed that I was reminded of how although I don't like to eat meat much, I would love to have some of that Institutional Meat Loaf like only the cafeteria at University Hospital North at OHSU could do!!!!

(Sheesh. There's something the matter with us.) :p

Obsidianbbw
03-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Actually my favorite cuisine is Indian and next Jamaican and then Thai. I just discovered Brazilian BBQ (totally decadent experience). I think living in NY after while you just take all the cuisine for granted. Applebees is my favorite "American chain" place. So when I'm out in the suburbs I eat there. When I am at work in the city (NYC) I eat all kinds of different things, but eating out is how I get to 357 LOL. My favorite home cooked dish is a toss up between meatloaf with mashed potatoes and lasagna. Favorite dish cooked by grandma is baked macaroni and cheese, potatoe salad, and collards green.

Ah Food Porn Police.....Spiny made me post this. She held the HFCS gun to my head and made me post all those yummy food.

Its funny whenever I eat at an ethnic restaurant outside of NY I think it is so watered down...My friends think I'm a snob...but I'm a new Yorker (insert accent here) through and through.

OMG Obi - I just realized that you live in NY/NJ and so I assume near NYC - and you eat at Applebees!!??? I am imagining all the funky/wonderful/exotic/ethnic choices you must have out there. And you pick Applebees!!!

I guess you remind me of myself though because as soon as I typed that I was reminded of how although I don't like to eat meat much, I would love to have some of that Institutional Meat Loaf like only the cafeteria at University Hospital North at OHSU could do!!!!

(Sheesh. There's something the matter with us.) :p

carolr3639
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
My favorite food changes from time to time. Awhile ago it was crab ragoon. Got over that. Now it's Wasa crisp bread. Obi, Did your parents and grandparents grow up in NY, too.?

fiddler
03-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I was reminded of how although I don't like to eat meat much, I would love to have some of that Institutional Meat Loaf like only the cafeteria at University Hospital North at OHSU could do!!!!

Jo, you are in luck because you can find that same meatloaf here!!! Check the Von's deli in A-town. ;)

fiddler
03-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I, too, am feeling melancholy and lonely tonight.

And I miss being in a relationship. I sympathize with you, Obie. It's hard when you get to the point where it's on life support. Maybe even harder than when it's completely over.

I would be crying in my beer right now...except I don't like beer :(

Thanks for listening to me whine....

Spinymouse
03-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I, too, am feeling melancholy and lonely tonight.

And I miss being in a relationship. I sympathize with you, Obie. It's hard when you get to the point where it's on life support. Maybe even harder than when it's completely over.

I would be crying in my beer right now...except I don't like beer :(

Thanks for listening to me whine....

There ain't nuthin' wrong with the "whine" -- it is so much more than that- It is a complex set of emotions that one short little word can't sum up. And I agree that it is harder when a relationship is on life support than when it is completely over. (I sort of vaguely remember that sort of experience - or maybe it was just a bad dream.) So Obie and Fiddler, I know how much it sucks.

As for food - I want to try that Jamaican and Brazilian stuff - I just may have to take a trip to NYC.

More on food - I am experimenting with recipes to enter into two recipe contests - there is a Pillsbury bakeoff contest and a Cooking Light contest going on. Thankfully I have a friend who is like a goat in that he will eat 95% of whatever I make even if it is horrible, and I can eat the other 5% for quality control purposes. What this has to do with IE I have no idea. And I have to try to be psychic and try to determine what most people would like, which is probably not anything like what I would like (as demonstrated by my :?: look when I see an Applebees menu. :dizzy: ) But it gives me something to do (the contests.)

jo

2frustrated
03-05-2007, 06:16 AM

Hello ladies!

Big :hug: to all you melancholy girls. Keep your chin up, all will sort itself soon. :)

Well I had a lovely weekend, met a friend on Friday for dinner (salad no dressing and half a small dessert), then we went to a comedy show.

Saturday I went back to my old school for their careers day - I'm about 60lbs lighter than I was when I went to school and most people were very impressed! :lol: I had a really good lunch out with my friends, I had a chicken breast with peppers and goats cheese on the top, with ricotta pasta parcels and salsa. It was truly amazing, and there wasn't too much pasta, and there wasn't too much food, it was just right! I skipped dessert, but mainly because everyone else was! :lol:

I did some shopping and bought some new handbags and a few clothes. I visited my grandma and took her a big creamy banoffee pie! :lol: :T

Yesterday we went to the library on the bus, in the rain. We got very wet! Then I tidied the house, and I can get one wardrobe door shut now, which is progress! :lol:

The scales are being good to me, they are ROCK STEADY! Which is really really odd! Usually when I am "dieting" or at least trying to lose some weight they go up and down and up and down. They haven't even fluctuated by a quarter of a pound! :dunno: Spooky!

I think I am going to try and hold onto my hunger for a little more to see just what it takes to lose a pound on IE. A small part of me would like to lose some more, now I know how easy it is to maintain. I think if I can lose a little bit, with just a little bit more effort and a little bit less food, I might be able to painlessly lose a few pounds and that would be good. If I have to be starving hungry most of the day then it's not worth it, but if I can drop a few easily, then it's worth doing!

I've just borrowed some whole food recipe books from the library and they look yummy! I can't wait to try them out, can I buy some more time please???? :lol:

2frustrated
03-05-2007, 07:48 AM
This is really new for me, but just excuse me for getting excited! :lol:

So I'm trying to eat a little less this week, and I'm waiting till I'm sure as sure I'm hungry.

So anyway, I've just had my morning snack, which was about 3/4 of an apple (it was bashed up), half an ounce of pecans and about 5 pieces of dried fruit (prune, apricot, peach, pear and apple). So I'm sitting here and I felt all faint and headachey and empty, so I ate my snack. And I STILL felt all faint and headachey and empty. But that was about 15 minutes ago. Since then I've had a bit of a drink and let my snack "go down" and now I don't feel so hungry. I think I forgot that it takes time to register that you've eaten. I've still got a headache though :(

Anyway it's gym soon, so I should be able to get through my weights session without falling over :crossed:

Obsidianbbw
03-05-2007, 08:31 AM
We don't want you to starve...Me personally may not eat until I am a little more hungry. I might notice it at level 2 but not eat till I feel level 4. I think you might not want to feel faint and head-achey. I notice if I eat a piece of fruit I will be hungry again in about an hour or 2...so I eat another piece of fruit rather than a full meal. I think everyone else may have better advice...but I don't think faint and head-achey is a good thing.

This is really new for me, but just excuse me for getting excited! :lol:

So I'm trying to eat a little less this week, and I'm waiting till I'm sure as sure I'm hungry.

So anyway, I've just had my morning snack, which was about 3/4 of an apple (it was bashed up), half an ounce of pecans and about 5 pieces of dried fruit (prune, apricot, peach, pear and apple). So I'm sitting here and I felt all faint and headachey and empty, so I ate my snack. And I STILL felt all faint and headachey and empty. But that was about 15 minutes ago. Since then I've had a bit of a drink and let my snack "go down" and now I don't feel so hungry. I think I forgot that it takes time to register that you've eaten. I've still got a headache though :(

Anyway it's gym soon, so I should be able to get through my weights session without falling over :crossed:

2frustrated
03-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I know what you mean. I don't particularly like faint and headachey, but it's like I miss out 3-7 and go straight from comfortable to starving hungry! I did manage to do my gym things well, so I think I ate enough at my little snack time.

I was speaking to DH and he says he never gets tummy rumbles just faint and headachey! :lol: So maybe it's a hunger symptom rather than an over-hunger symptom! :dunno: It's a bit trial and error at this stage since I want to see if I can lose a bit this week without feeling too hungry!

EDIT: No worries about me not eating enough!!!! I had lunch, then had a fruit and nut bar, and some ryvita crackers.. :lol3: I don't think I'm going to starve! I've totted up calories for today and I'm at 1560 already! It's only 4pm!!!! Although I proabably won't have the opportunity to eat until about half 8.

carolr3639
03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Off to a family get together. Eight of the kids plus spouses and grandkids will be there to see son John off to Alaska. He's got new job there. Have a good day.

Obsidianbbw
03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Well From Friday to Yesterday was probably my worst eating since I started IE. I would eat crap and then think I could still eat so much more. I think I just wanted to feel full...no idea why. Also have a sweet tooth. I wanted ben and jerry tried to use a substitute and that partial led to the horrible weekend.

I can't say I feel guilty about it, but just learning from it and trying to see where I go. I do see an big meal in my future.

-Obie.

2frustrated
03-06-2007, 05:26 AM
:hug: Obie we all get a little like that sometimes! I like feeling full. Perhaps you need to eat a little bit more day to day? I find if I've been restricting too much I tend to want that fullness feeling more than if I haven't.

I tried Beef Jerkey today for the first time. It's rank! If I wanted to eat old boots, then I have a spare pare in my hallway that are going begging! :lol:

Obsidianbbw
03-06-2007, 09:54 AM
friday and saturday are the days I ban myself from cooking or packing food to eat. Spiny has me wanting some Indian so maybe that will be my treat. I don't think I've had it since I've been doing IE. I have a salt tooth, so I love jerky. If you buy it when its softer its a nice snack. Actually I might some of that up to. I think the pther problem is the foods I've been eating are pretty bland and I'm bored with them. I Made a marinade last night to cook some chicken so we'll see.

:hug: Obie we all get a little like that sometimes! I like feeling full. Perhaps you need to eat a little bit more day to day? I find if I've been restricting too much I tend to want that fullness feeling more than if I haven't.

I tried Beef Jerkey today for the first time. It's rank! If I wanted to eat old boots, then I have a spare pare in my hallway that are going begging! :lol:

2frustrated
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I was googly woogly-ing this morning and found some links you might like to try.

http://intuitive-eating.blogspot.com/

http://intuitive-eater.blogspot.com/

http://www.chunktohunk.com/main/

http://magazines.ivillage.com/townandcountry/guides/weightloss/articles/0,,587941_596740,00.html

http://www.geocities.com/intuitiveeaters/

I think that's it....

It's quiet in here today eh?

I've had a so-so day today. I had a tiny breakfast and then spent all morning snacking on fruit, nuts, dried fruit, ryvitas until I cracked and had a chicken pita - however that kept me full till about half 2 and then I had some malt loaf. I just ate a few cherries that might tide me over until I get to the sports hall where I train for kickboxing. I might get a vending machine treat if I'm still hungry or some more malt loaf or something. I think I'm going to have to start eating more substantial breakfasts, but I think that's hard when you've eaten later the night before (unavoidable for me really). Perhaps I should start packing a "second breakfast" that's breakfasty that I can eat about 2 hours after a small brekky... :chin: yes.. That sounds good! :lol:

Obsidianbbw
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Well I decide to check my plan out of the window today. Had a donut and milk for breakfast and Indian for Lunch. I am not stuffed, but pleasantly satisfied. I tried a new dish Lamb briyani (sp?) absolutely wonderful. Doubt I'll have a big dinner. Also I have no idea how many calories I've eaten today.

So thinking a few things. I need to try some new stuff for breakfast and lunch at work. I am going to attempt tandoori chicken tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the link 2 Frustrated :hug: . My blog is actually called the intuitive eater. :D

carolr3639
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
2 frus., The first 2 links are by a girl who has an IE site on Yahoo. Sometimes it's pretty interesting. I think like Obi that food can get boring if we don't vary it. Sometimes it's hard, though, when you don't feel like cooking and live way out in the country. Out to eat means a half hour drive. Missing you dear Fiddler.

CinnamonGirl
03-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Great links, Fru. Thanks for posting them.

So far today's been a good food day. I've not eaten much but I'm not feeling very hungry and that finally feels OK to say/think that. It's nice not to be stressing over food. Maybe my dieting head is finally stepping aside for IE.

breakfast: homemade scone and tea
snack: hard boiled egg
snack: organic apple with 2 tsp. Real peanut butter

Looking forward to a yam and green beans for lunch! I've sort of become a yam-aholic lately, LOL! No not too bad but have been eating at least 1/2 per day if not a whole one. They're sooooooooooo good. Wouldn't have believed that statement would have come out of my mouth a year ago.

Happy day everyone!
Beth

2frustrated
03-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Obi - I've got your blog in my favourites ;) I figured you didn't need a link to your own blog ;) :lol:

Man I'm HUNGRY this morning! :faint: I've just been in a meeting since 10am and I took pecans, dried fruit and a fruit and nut bar and I'm starved already! I think it was the exercise yesterday. Not sure if I'm going to the gym today or not.... My gym buddy has just left her desk, so I'm not sure if she's gone to get changed or just the bathroom... I don't really want to go, but will go if she's going (I'm such a sucker!!!!).

Right, must get quick nibble before I fall over!

Obsidianbbw
03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Ok, Yesterday I ended up making a marinade that I got from here, grilled chicken and mixed vegetables. 2frus has me thinking about yams, but they looked like a science experiment so oh well. I think I am back from my bland food funk. Only did 30 min of workout this morning, will try and get in another 30 tonight.

Spiny, Fiddler and Cin, just saying hiya. Hope you're doing ok. Snowing here. suck to be me...blah...

2frustrated
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
It was cinnamon girl who had yams!

I'm trying to find a nice recipe for my dinner tonight and absolutely nothing looks appealing since I've very much just eaten and I'm nicely satisfied thank-you-very-much and I just can't think, "Oooooh that will be lovely tonight" with a full tummy... Strange! I used to be able to eat until I burst!!!! Now I can't even think about this evening's meal! :lol: :dizzy:

Obsidianbbw
03-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Sorry...I'm all over the place today and only been up for an hour...I think its the snow....really dreading trying to get to work in it.

It was cinnamon girl who had yams!

2frustrated
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Can't you ring in and have a snow day???

carolr3639
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone. Beth, Do you eat your yams plain? I have one in the cupboard and don't know what to do with it. I've never eaten them much. Eating has been going good lately maybe because our table is broken and we're just eaing leftovers. ha! It is a big table that can be made smaller by removing the leaves. We just happened to have it opened way up because of company. My SIL was chasing my daughter and thought the table would hold him as he rounded the corner. It didn't happen. It needed fixing anyway. He felt really bad, though.

Spinymouse
03-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh, man, where did that list of abbreviations go? SIL - Somebody's Irritating Lumberjack???

Spinymouse
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Speaking of abbreviations, I have one that I really like. It's SEP. An example of usage would be: "Just forget about that ex-boyfreind, Fiddler. He's SEP."
(Somebody Else's Problem.)

CinnamonGirl
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Spiny (Somebody's Irritating Lumberjack, LOL), SIL = Sister in Law

Carol, I eat my yams with a little Smart Balance, salt and pepper. I just scrub the heck out of it under water with a little soap, cut the ends off and throw it in the microwave for about 3 minutes or so depending on the size. I like them better in the oven but have a hard time justifying heating up the whole oven for one little yam. Once it's cooked I mash it up, add SB and S&P and eat. Sooooooooooo good! I don't like them sweet so don't go in for the brown sugar or marshmallows like others do. I'm going to try some salsa on one to see if that's good too as salsa is so good for you.

Yesterday I ate a huge yam and then felt "Turkey Dinner" full after. Yuck, haven't done that in a long long time. Ugh. I won't do that again. I'm starting to discover that my stomach is happiest if I eat about a fist sized portion of food in one sitting. If I eat more than that I get cramps or other stomache issues (sorry, TMI). I can recognize that after the fact I just have to start remembering it while I'm making my food. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach. ***Got to remember - "eat less but more often" and I feel so much better.***

Beth

carolr3639
03-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Sorry........that was son-in-law.

Obsidianbbw
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
After a 2.5 hour commute made it in. Going home is always better. I second whoever is talking about making the yams. I usually try and cook a few at time and then nuke them when I am ready to eat one.

CinnamonGirl
03-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry........that was son-in-law.

Oh, DUH, of course in your context SIL is Son in Law. Sorry, guess I wasn't reading very well, LOL!

Beth

Obsidianbbw
03-07-2007, 05:00 PM
2frustrated. I owe you a pint if we ever meet? Do you drink guiness? I probably shouldn't assume. The blogs were ok, but the town and country and frm chunk to hunk were really great.

complete unrelated have you ever read Pratchett? I forget his first name.

I was googly woogly-ing this morning and found some links you might like to try.

http://intuitive-eating.blogspot.com/

http://intuitive-eater.blogspot.com/

http://www.chunktohunk.com/main/

http://magazines.ivillage.com/townandcountry/guides/weightloss/articles/0,,587941_596740,00.html

http://www.geocities.com/intuitiveeaters/

I think that's it....

It's quiet in here today eh?

I've had a so-so day today. I had a tiny breakfast and then spent all morning snacking on fruit, nuts, dried fruit, ryvitas until I cracked and had a chicken pita - however that kept me full till about half 2 and then I had some malt loaf. I just ate a few cherries that might tide me over until I get to the sports hall where I train for kickboxing. I might get a vending machine treat if I'm still hungry or some more malt loaf or something. I think I'm going to have to start eating more substantial breakfasts, but I think that's hard when you've eaten later the night before (unavoidable for me really). Perhaps I should start packing a "second breakfast" that's breakfasty that I can eat about 2 hours after a small brekky... :chin: yes.. That sounds good! :lol:

Spinymouse
03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
TERRY PRATCHETT???!!! I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT!!!

Obsidianbbw
03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I went to nothern ireland when I was 21 I think, A friend loaned me guards guards for a flight and I have been hooked ever since. What else do you read Spiny?

TERRY PRATCHETT???!!! I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT!!!

2frustrated
03-08-2007, 05:20 AM
:yes: I love Terry Pratchet too! I'm not a Guiness drinker, however they are supposed to be bringing out a guiness flavoured Marmite (yeast extract) which I am looking forward too! :T

Must rush off - we're out on a mission for work! Will update later :)

2frustrated
03-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Ok update time! :lol:

My scales are up a pound this morning :mad: :tantrum: *BREATHE* it's one measly pound and I've been doing this for 2 weeks and it can't be that I've eaten too much. :nono: It's most probably a little bit of water retention from that slice of toast I ate before bed :rolleyes:

I had a really nice chill out night last night. Yesterday I was feeling a bit faint and shaky through the day, and I think I'm trying to fight off some sort of bug, so I took my rest day from the gym and didn't do much in the evening apart from a shed-load of washing up, some clothes washing and some other general tidying.

I was feeling really really sick this morning so I had about 4 spoons of cereal. Fortunately I came up with a great way to not waste the rest! I have this really expensive musli that I treated myself to at the weekend and I'd poured myself a bowl of that, so was really narked when I was going to waste almost the whole bowl! I was making cottage cheese pancakes for work, so I put the rest of the drained musli in that! :lol: :dizzy: Well at least it wasn't wasted! :)

I was feeling a fair bit sick this morning, and I'm kind of feeling a little queasy now, however not enough to not eat, just after I've eaten! :crazy: so don't know what's up with that! Not 100% sure I'll be going kickboxing tonight. Well at least I'll have a nice rest :)

ebb&flow
03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I think I want to try something new/old. I've done the diet thing before to lose weight. Then a few years later got pregnant with a beautiful little boy. I gained a bit of weight with that pregnancy and now my baby is a year and a half old. I think I can officially call this mommy fat, not baby fat. I say I want to try something new/old because I've done the diet thing, so I want to try something new to me (IE). I understand it's not anything new. I'm sure cavewomen didn't diet. I know in my history there was a time before I felt self-conscious about my weight when I didn't even consider a diet. Deprivation just makes me want to eat more and gives me cravings for the junk food I'd banned. Calorie counting just makes me obsessed and calculations. I want to lose weight with some ladies who are positive about their food choices. I have lots of non 3fatchick friends who are trying to lose weight, but who are always beating themselves up ("I had ABC food. I'm disgusting") and it really impacts how you feel and your food choices. I want a healthy relationship with food. I think unlabeling while consciously making the healthiest choices without weighing and counting and banning foods will be a step in the right direction.

Spinymouse
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Ebb, and welcome! I agree that a diet that makes you obsessive is hard to sustain, and beating yourself up doesn't do any good!
2frus: I hope you feel better! Rest when you need to!
God, I rest when I don't need to (ALL THE TIME) so I need to take some motivation from you to exercise! How do you motivate anyway??! I guess I am so OLD that I feel, "yeah, I've done that before...." so it's not new and exciting anymore.
Obi - Guards Guards! is great, isn't it? I read mostly non-fiction but when I read fiction I like it to be really out there kind of fiction. Have you read anything by Richard Brautigan?

If he taught his worries to sing they would make the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sound like a potato. - Richard Brautigan

jo

Spinymouse
03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Ok, pals, I have another peeve - "Secrets." I just got some email (again) trying to entice me to learn weight loss "secrets." First of all, it's not a secret if it is something you are sending to hundreds of thousands of people, is it? How can that be a secret???
Click here for "beauty secrets of the stars" ARRRGH! -- they aren't secrets!!!!!!!
Second of all, when you click on the dang thing it's never anything new, just stuff you've heard all along.... where is the big SECRET? That's like saying "not to mention" and then mentioning whatever it is that you weren't going to mention.
Now if I have a SECRET, then, it's a secret so why am I going to tell somebody what it is?
I don't get it.

carolr3639
03-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Welcome, Ebb. Had a funny day today. Had soy milk and wasa crisp bread for breakfast and then went to cook 440 meat balls for a Bible conference later this month. I had help, of course, but then my DD wanted to go shopping. I was really tired but said yes. After shopping for a few hr. she wanted to eat. I wasn't starving but agreed. Funny thing, after we ate I was really hungry. ha! Couldn't seem to get satisfied.

Spinymouse
03-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Funny thing, after we ate I was really hungry. ha! Couldn't seem to get satisfied.

Then it probably wasn't really hunger, but you stimulated your appetite. (??)

2frustrated
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
:wave: Hi Ebb!

Spiny - I feel LOTS better today, thank you!

Carol, I just did something a bit like that - I ate a (HEALTHY) muffin for a small snack and was hungrier after than before. :p I know what you mean about stimulating appetite Spiny. Fortunately I've had lunch now and feel satisfied again. I'll probably be ok till round about 3pm, when I have some more nice things with me to eat :) Then the 'rents are coming tonight and that will be the real test. I tend to regress to 14 year old eating habits, ie eating everything in sight!!!

Oooh and a small IE victory last night - I waited until DH came home to eat my dinner. When I got in I'm usually starving, but yesterday I realised that I wasn't so I sat down with a cup of tea and a tiny snack just to put me on. Then DH came back and we had jacket potatoes. I swear mine was about the size of a child's fist! :lol: Then after that I decided to make healthy muffins and DH wanted me to make something else because he didn't like them last time I made them! He he he, all the more for me :devil: So I made cherry oatmeal cookies. They were pretty fab, and I managed to bake the whole lot and only eat about a teaspoon of mixture, licked the almost-clean bowl and then had 2 tiny tiny cookies. Then after that I could leave the rest alone!!!! :faint: They even made it to the cake tin :faint: Then I sent DH with a load for work and there's 4 left for me, DH, mum and dad tonight :)

THEN after that I baked those healthy muffins that I originally intended to bake and I didn't even want to eat one. I just put them in the fridge for today. :)

So 3 victories in one day :D I'm really really noticing that my attitude to food is shifting dramatically. I've noticed there are times when I don't even think about food! :eek: There are times when I've just eaten and don't want to eat more!

carolr3639
03-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Can anyone explain that "stimulating the appetite" idea a little fruther? How does that happen? 2frus, Can we get that recipe for cherry oatmeal cookies? Sounds good.

2frustrated
03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
You know how people pass round little vol au vents or crudites or crostini as "appetisers". I think what happens is that if you eat just a little bit of something when your body isn't hungry, it still whets your appetite and your body expects more. I think because all the digestive juices etc get all revved up even when you eat just a tiny bit, then your body is ready and waiting for more and is trying to get you to eat.

Also, how about the GI of your meal. Was it white bread/highly processed? Stuff like that tends to make you hungrier quicker. I did think about how my muffin should've made me feel and it was full of rye flour and hardly any sugar, plenty of pears and nuts and a little bit of fat so I KNOW that I shouldn't have been hungry, but my body obviously wanted more, since it was preparing to digest a lot!

I'll have to post the recipe for cherry cookies on Monday - it's at home and I'm at work!

fiddler
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Can anyone explain that "stimulating the appetite" idea a little fruther? How does that happen? 2frus, Can we get that recipe for cherry oatmeal cookies? Sounds good.

There are certain foods that stimulate appetite due to how your body processes them...for example sugar and other refined carbs. One of the side effects of eating them is that it screws up your body's sensitivity to leptin, which is one of the satiety hormones. Insulin also plays a role.

Which is one of the reasons I've cut out processed foods.

When I have time I'll try to find you an article on it.

carolr3639
03-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Fiddler and 2frus. I just bought Andrew Weils book about aging and he has a lot of interesting explanatioins about out bodies.

Dawn2Dusk
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
I love this thread. I have yet to read a book on intuitive eating (thinking about picking up a book at the library tomorrow) but I read a few threads about intuitive eating here and it felt as if the thread itself was yelling out to me, "Look here! This is for you!" I've tried Atkins and South Beach, tried Weight Watchers for a little while as well. But I am so tired of counting calories, or carbs or points, or making sure I ate 6 mini-meals a day, even though I wasn't hungry. I gained so much weight because I'd give in to my cravings and eat, eat, eat! And once I had something "illegal", I'd beat myself up about it, thinking, "Well, I ruined my diet by eating this one thing. I might as well just quit." And then I'd go back to binging. It was a vicious cycle.

Then I learned about intuitive eating. And it makes so much sense to me. I need to learn to differentiate between a craving and actual physical hunger. That's what I've been doing all day today and I'm so surprised to learn that after my healthy and filling breakfast (which amounted to a almost 300 calories) I haven't felt hungry since. Craved food, sure, but not really felt hungry! And somehow, the knowledge of being able to differentiate the two makes it so easy to resist cravings.

I can't wait to read the book!

carolr3639
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Welcome Dawn. There are a lot of books on IE. The Overfed Head is simple and short and the one I have enjoyed the most.

Spinymouse
03-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Dawn -
I'm looking forward to your posts!

jo

2frustrated
03-12-2007, 06:10 AM
:wave: Welcome Dawn!

Hello! I'm a stuffed-Frus today :p

I just about coped on Saturday with IE, however I did have stupid ice cream and cheesecake when I wasn't hungry, but :p

Yesterday I just blew it completely and this morning I am not hungry at all, so it's 9am and I haven't had breakfast yet - just 2 pints of water and a cup of tea!

I know why I ate at the weekend - it's the 'rents. For some reason they just stress me out, and DH can be a little abrasive with them and it winds me up big time. Also Dad is just getting bigger at the moment and he ate loads of :censored: yesterday. I am quite worried about him but he won't ever take the hint. :( Mum is doing well and is really excited about her new gym and losing weight and stuff.

So I feel like the damage I did yesterday will be undone today with a nice run at lunch and perhaps a long cycle ride on Wednesday if the weather holds.

Looking forward to getting my head back in the game this week and am going to try and lose a little bit of weight.

Obsidianbbw
03-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Beginning of an interesting post. Has IE all over it in my opinion

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106909

Second Link Added Later. Also thought provoking and I think it is about the same article.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106954

nelie
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm not an IE person but I have been reading a book that I thought some of you might find is interesting. It is called "If Buddha Came to Dinner". Although non religion specific, it talks about eating what your "spirit" wants rather than what your stomach/head want. Also talks about the quality of the foods you eat and nourishing your body with those foods rather than just eating for eatings sake. I'm not done with the book but it is kind of interesting so far.

Anyway, I thought since it is on the vein of IE, that it might be something interesting to read. The book also has some recipes but I haven't looked too far into those yet.

Spinymouse
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Nelie, thank you for that recommendation - that is right up my proverbial alley! Another one I liked and am reading the second time around is "The Yoga Of Eating," it sounds like the Buddha book is along the same theme. Oh Boy, Amazon loves me! :D

nelie
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I forgot to mention that I think that my spirit wants Chocolate Cake, I think it really does :)

CinnamonGirl
03-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I forgot to mention that I think that my spirit wants Chocolate Cake, I think it really does :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Beth

carolr3639
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Obi, Thanks for the links. 2frus, Sorry you had a bad day. Our power went out for 4 hr. this morning just because they were working on something. It was supposed to be off for 3 hour so finally I called them and got it right back. ha!

Spinymouse
03-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Spiritual Chocolate Cake Recipe:

Sit or kneel in a position of reverence.
Light Candle and incense.
Meditate upon Chocolate Cake in such a manner as to cause the Chocolate Cake brain cell receptors to vibrate in a chocolate-like frequency.
Chant: Cocoa, Cocoa, Cocoa. Breathe deeply. Chant some more.
There - you've now had your spiritual chocolate cake.:yoga:

fiddler
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM

I thought my spirit wanted chocolate cake the other day. Chocolate cheesecake, to be exact.

So I went to the supermarket and they had "Aztec cheesecake" on sale. It was a cheesecake covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate chunks with cinnamon sprinkled over it. So I picked up two of them (I have a chest freezer) ;)

They also happened to be having a great sale on umm...feminine hygiene products, so I picked up about six boxes of those, on the theory that it's like toilet paper--you're not going to stop using it anytime soon, so might as well stock up.

I was in a hurry, so I didn't pick up any other items. It wasn't until I got to the checkout and plopped my multiple boxes of chocolately cheesecake and "cigars" ;) on the conveyor belt and the female cashier gave me that oh-so-sympathetic look that I realized I looked like a walking advertisement for PMS. :D

Anyway, I had one slice of the cheesecake later that night, decided it wasn't that good, and chucked the rest. Guess my spirit didn't want it after all.

2frustrated
03-13-2007, 06:20 AM
:lol3: Fiddler :lol3: :rofl: MAN! You crack me up!

Nelie - if you want chocolate cake, have chocolate cake! Like fiddler I sometimes find that it's not as good as I expect it to be! I had a Mars bar yesterday for the first time in ages and ages and ages and it didn't taste as good as I remembered - however it did fill me up for about 5 hours, so it was worth it! :D

I think I did ok yesterday - I was battling the blues but I think overall my calories were pretty low, so I'm fairly happy. I wasn't 100% switched onto IE yesterday but near enough :)

Today I'm doing alright, I waited until I got to work to have breakfast and I'm going to get myself some nice tea in a mo.

Those threads that Obi posted yesterday were interesting. I think that "not being scared of hunger" is something I have to get over. However I think as one poster said that going to bed ravenous is a bit silly. I can never sleep if I'm starving hungry. I wish I could control my snappiness when I'm hungry. I think I've been moodier with DH these past few weeks when I've been waiting to be hungry..... Perhaps I just need to re-introduce some more protein so that I'm not a 3 headed she devil :p :lol:

carolr3639
03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
2frus, Did you find the cherry oatmeal cookie recipe? We have loads of company here so lots of cooking to do. Last night was great. My son was here to help me. He's a great cook. Right now he's having back problems and was considering surgery. But lately he's been getting better and his wife is really hoping he will not need surgery.

carolr3639
03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Fiddler, For 20 yr I was pregnant or breastfeeding so I hardly need those products you spoke of. Then menopause hit and my dh said I was keeping the fem hygiene companies in business. Thankfully, I can't remember the last time I needed them.......probably about 5 yr. ago.

2frustrated
03-13-2007, 12:45 PM
:o Sorry carolr - I had a bonkers weekend and have only just remembered that I owed someone an e-mail on Monday :o

Basically, get an oatmeal and raisin cookie mix and use glace cherries instead of the raisins, and substitute the mixed spices for just cinnamon, although you could just use the mixed spices if you want! I'll see if I can remember to fish it out tonight for you :)

Spinymouse
03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Pals -
Fiddler and I had a conversation about why things that aren't even "food" are the default things to eat. I have been more and more aware of how that is true. Today I went into a little corner market and couldn't help but notice there were several different fruit flavors of Pop-Tarts but zero apples or real fruit of any kind. Isn't that kind of weird?
We also had joked about making a diet non-food that dieters could eat bowls of. Something like a mixture of Z-trim and Benefiber and Cool Whip Light. Help!! I think I was sent to the wrong planet by mistake!!!!

CinnamonGirl
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
...Something like a mixture of Z-trim and Benefiber and Cool Whip Light. Help!! I think I was sent to the wrong planet by mistake!!!!

EEEEEEEEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhh!:barf:

Beth

carolr3639
03-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I agree with Beth! And I never could see how anyone could eat pop tarts. Guess everyone likes something different.

Spinymouse
03-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Oh, just to clarify, that it really was a joke about the dieter's food, I'd like to add to the theoretical mix.... undigestible puffed pillows of cellulose.:D :p :dizzy:

2frustrated
03-14-2007, 06:15 AM
:yes: I know what you mean about some shops. I've been out at night looking for vegetables to be sorely dissapointed. Most shops just keep packaged cwap that doesn't go off easily. I think it's too expensive to buy in a load of fresh fruit and veg if there aren't many people that are going to buy it.

As for Pop Tarts, well I used to eat lots of those when I was a child, but now I couldn't even think about eating something that was 1) so processed and 2) so nutritionally void of everything! I know I'd crash in about 5 minutes of eating it, if not sooner! :lol:

Yesterday and the day before have been fairly low calorie for me, but I still felt like I was eating too much :dizzy: Since I was snacking on apples and cereal bars when I wasn't REALLY hungry. :p Today I'm listening more closely. :yes:

Obsidianbbw
03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Purely for accountablilty

Gained 3 lbs. :o Official weigh in is tomorrow, but I got on early knowing it wasn't going to be good. I think it has been a couple of things, too much eating out and not eating when I was hungry. So back on the wagon.

I think as long as I've learned something from it, can't say I overly upset...Just know what I need to do.

You may now tune into your regularly scheduled posting.

BTW, I've been reading, but work has been kinda hectic.

2frustrated
03-14-2007, 01:14 PM
:hug: Obi, it'll come right off again once your head's back in the game! I'm got an extra 2 I'm going to send them packing with your 3! :)

Obsidianbbw
03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Right back attcha. :D Getting to know my hunger again.

:hug: Obi, it'll come right off again once your head's back in the game! I'm got an extra 2 I'm going to send them packing with your 3! :)

CinnamonGirl
03-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh, just to clarify, that it really was a joke about the dieter's food, I'd like to add to the theoretical mix.... undigestible puffed pillows of cellulose.:D :p :dizzy:

Oh, I got that, Spiny. Just too gross and funny. BTW you'd probably make a fortune if you packaged it right! :dizzy:

Beth

2frustrated
03-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Yeah - I'd eat it! :lol: No calorie food :drool: :lol3:

I'm doing ok, the weekend weight has come off again, now I'm hoping to get below the vicious 174 that has been plaguing my scales for months :p So I am completely tuned in today. I must drink lots, get to the gym and not snack too much, that should be pretty easy actually since I just remembered I left my 2 apples at home :rolleyes: :tantrum: :p

I've got double kickboxing tonight, so hopefully that should get me back in the swing. DH and I were going to go out and join a running club but he didn't get home in time. Never mind! I was wussing out of it anyway! It's far too scary :eek: :lol: We'll go next week.

Obsidianbbw
03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Final weigh in was 335, so feeling better. Went to lunch with a girlfriend of mine (Indian again) and did much better was actually hungry, and managed to eat what I wanted and not be tempted on anything else. Also instead of the gooey aloo popri (crunchy bits, with chick peas yogurt sauce and some other stuff) I got before I stuck to fish tikka (marinated grilled salmon basically) for an appetizer. Lamb biryani for main course .

Anyway my girlfriend know i have been trying to lose weight. She feels like she won't find a man until she loses some. I don't agree, but she didn't want to hear it.

Anyway, funny thing is she said she only eats when she's hungry (woo hoo) and stops when she's completely full (booo, hiss). She eats vegetables maybe twice a week and she love bread and rice and pasta. She refused to give up breads (she knocks out a whole loaf in about 2 days) and she thinks fruits and vegetables is something that should happen to other people. So we negotiated and she is going to only eat till she's satisfied and maybe 2 pieces of fruit and veggies a day and try and reduce the bread and pasta and rice.

We'll see how it goes. I don't think she's really ready. The funny part is I was EXACTLY like her six months ago. I was thinking that with IE i can have anything I want, but at the same time there is no food that I feel I cannot give up if I had to. Food is nice, it isn't the end all and be all it once was.

fiddler
03-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Good for you, Obie! I'm glad your weigh-in was good, and it's great that you're trying to help out your girlfriend. Hopefully she'll take your good advice.

Hello to everyone!

carolr3639
03-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I tried an experiment the last 2 days. I got up and walked 5 mi. one day and 6 mi. today before I ate. I wasn't hungry for one or 2 hr. later. I only did this because before I eat is when I have more energy. I have a really cool place to walk out here in the country. Anyway, Why does this curb the appetite? Good to see the lb still coming off, Obi.

Spinymouse
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok, Obi and Carol are walking; 2frus is hitting the gym, Fid is doing Curves....I think I am the only one who is totally inactive. How do I get motivated? I hate to exercise. I've always been that way. Even as a kid; well, as a kid I wasn't even allowed to exercise because I'm sort of a borderline between normal and handicapped in that regard - if I tried to run I'd just fall down! I have no speed or coordination or grace whatsoever. I have in the past forced myself to work out, and I hated it. The only two things I ever liked are not available (swimming in a WARM pool, or a certain aerobics class that nobody offers any more which did not require any kind of dance-like coodination.)

carolr3639
03-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Jo, Try walking just a little bit farther each day. I've heard people say that if you just get your foot out the door you'd be surprised how easy walking is. Tell yourself you can always turn around and go home if you want. I'm not even close to a gym so it's about the only thing easy for me. Just listening to the birds and thinking about whatever is relaxing. My trouble is that I'm not supposed to be in the sun so now is a good time because it's cool enough that the only place that needs sunblock is my face.

fiddler
03-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Jo,

I, too, was an exercise hater. Not that I completely disliked physical activity--I could work in my yard for hours on end. But I always hated exercise for its own sake. That's why Curves works so well for me. I thought that even as much as I hated exercise I could manage to do it for 30 minutes 3 times a week, as long as it was structured and I didn't have to think about it. Once I started, I actually began to enjoy it, much to my surprise. Especially once I started seeing results. So really it only required excessive amounts of motivation the first couple of times.

CinnamonGirl
03-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Jo,

I don't like exercise either - at least not until I'm actually doing it then I really like it. But I think my natural state of being would be total stasis. I'm naturally a slug. However once I decide to exercise I really enjoy it and it gets more fun and easier to do the next day and the next. But if I let my routine get out of wack and let a few days slide by then a week goes by and it's so easy to fall back into slugdome.

So now I have a plan and try to stick to it like my other routines. I brush my teeth, take a shower, eat, work, etc everyday so I try to look at exercise the same way. I just do it everyday. I'm not always very good at it though. Last week I didn't do a thing the whole week but work. This week I've done something aerobic everyday and lifted weights evey other day. I'm back in my groove and enjoying it.

Beth

2frustrated
03-16-2007, 06:03 AM
Yup Jo, just find something you enjoy, even something completely stupid like trampolining or skipping or walking or dancing to a CD when no-one can see you, or jumping around the house, or climbing stairs.

Well my scales are being nice today - I've really concentrated on eating ONLY when I'm hungry, not when I think I should eat so that I'm not hungry later on, or eating because it's about time.... I've also cut back on silly carbs and tried to up the protein a bit, which means that I'm actually eating less but feeling more full :cheer2: I still have to get round to the stopping when I'm satisfied bit, but I don't tend to serve myself very big portions anyway, so I figure that the amount I serve myself is probably just about right since I don't seem to be stuffed after eating.

:)

carolr3639
03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I've tried the low carb thing in the past and recently but then I got scared off by the fact that people with kidney problems shouldn't do low carb. Always something. ha!

Obsidianbbw
03-16-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm a low carb-er just naturally....Also have a preference for sweet potatoes versus white. :?:

Well aunt flo came to visit this week, and you would think I would recognize the signs by now, but still not used to paying attention. back to listening to my hunger.

I'll chime in with everyone else. I try and schedule it and make it a routine, eventually I got motivated to do it because I enjoyed it and it wasn't such a chore. Also helps that I found stuff I liked. I'm a dvd person so I switch when I get bored,right now I am going to do some kickboxing. Also you might want to try weights. I find that I like that it doesn't involve bouncing around and you can put your ipod or whatever on and be in your own little world. Only problem I have is since I am focused on losing not interested in seeing the scale bob back and forth even if I am losing inches.

carolr3639
03-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you eat and it doesn't taste as good as you thought it should that you start searching for something else, hence you overeat? How can we know exactly what it is we want? Or shouldn't we be so picky?

carolr3639
03-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Fiddler, Just wanted to add that I'm amazed at your progress pictures. I thought the old one was nice but the new one is still quite a bit of difference. Very nice photos.

Spinymouse
03-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you eat and it doesn't taste as good as you thought it should that you start searching for something else, hence you overeat? How can we know exactly what it is we want? Or shouldn't we be so picky?

Oh yes, it is very common that things don't taste as good as I thought they should! So then it does make me want to eat something else in an attempt to give that fulfillment. But, that doesn't mean I have to eat something else. Usually I think, ok, better luck next time!

As far as being so picky, I think it is a good thing to be picky! If I'm going to put something in my mouth, it had better be good! :)

carolr3639
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I once read that if you exercise first thing in the morning before you eat you will burn more fat because your glycogen stores are used up. Anyone else ever heard that?

Spinymouse
03-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Carol, I read that too but then also read that it all equalizes - later in the day when you eat, your body very quickly makes up for it by replenishing glycogen, and if there is excess calories to store, fat. I don't think there is a timing trick. But there may well be a psychological trick, if one gets the exercising out of the way early, at least then it is done. Later on we may be mentally exhausted and be inclined to skip it. I speak from experience here because I have a dim memory of exercising in the morning - many years ago! and also of being mentally exhausted - at the end of every day for the last um, many decades of days!
Thanks to all for exercising encouragment. I still have not done crap.
2frus - you mentioned the trampoline. It does sound kind of fun but if I get a rebounder, they are so small! Why are they so small - I feel like I could easily, by my uncoordination, jump on to the edge of it instead of the very tiny middle of it. The bigger ones are huge, for someone with a big backyard. Why don't they make one that is in between, maybe 6 feet? I saw some 6 ft trampolines but they are for tots, under 60 lbs or so. I am not sure I understand why you can get a 40-inch rebounder for adults but a 6-foot trampoline is only for tots!
IE-ers: I've been working on my cooking contest experiments so their QC is not exactly in tune with IE. The ingredients are also not in tune with my intuitiveness! BUT - I have had some interesting experiment results.
Fiddler - nice progress pic:cool: !!

2frustrated
03-19-2007, 06:50 AM
carol - YES! I know what you mean!!!! Have you ever had that thing where you're eating a packet of crisps or biscuits or something and think, "That didn't taste as good as I expected...." so you reach for another one in the hope that it will taste better??? :lol3: I do that quite a lot, then one day I said out loud to DH, I'm only eating another one because I hope it will taste better than the last! And it sounded so stupid I don't think I've done it since!

I had a bit of a silly weekend with a fair few food triggers in it - however I'll say that the majority of the weekend was healthy, with about 25% junk. :p Bah! I blame my friends! :p One friend we visited on Saturday - he cracked out the chocolate digestive biscuits :cbg: I WILL eat the whole packet if you allow me to! However he put about 5 on a plate, so I only ate 5! :devil: :o then he brought out some chocolate :rolleyes: And yesterday another friend came to visit and brought kettle chips :mad: Which I ate lots of too :p :mad:

Ah well, today I am looking after myself and just drawing a line under it. Sometimes my head doesn't think about "diets" or eating healthily or whatever and I know that to be a good thing, but then that's the danger zone where I tend to eat too much. :tantrum: There must be a fine line somewhere between not obsessing and thinking carefully about what I'm going to eat :dunno: I will have to keep searching!

Obsidianbbw
03-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Funny you all should mention this. Sunday I wanted something sweet and love the carrot cake and my local borders. So I get over there and I am third in line. The guy on front of me got the last piece :mad: Ok. So now I have my mouth all fixed for carrot cake. I look at their display case nothing else I want. I walk over to the supermarket, nothing I want. I go to the pizza place next to that, nothing I wan't. I end up going back to the borders and having a donut...sitting next to the man whole bought(Stole my carrot cake) then I had a talk with the guy behind the counter about the injustices that has been visited upon and for the good of the country they MUST in the future have more carrot cake so that when I randomly decide I want some it will be there....the nerve of them :D

Other than that nothing to write home about. MY head seems to be firmly in the game again.

Oh yes, it is very common that things don't taste as good as I thought they should! So then it does make me want to eat something else in an attempt to give that fulfillment. But, that doesn't mean I have to eat something else. Usually I think, ok, better luck next time!

As far as being so picky, I think it is a good thing to be picky! If I'm going to put something in my mouth, it had better be good! :)

fiddler
03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Fiddler, Just wanted to add that I'm amazed at your progress pictures. I thought the old one was nice but the new one is still quite a bit of difference. Very nice photos.

Jo (Spinymouse) took the picture so she gets the credit. I just stood there. :D

carolr3639
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Obi, You just gave me my laugh for the day. What a hoot!! But I know exactly what you mean. Hey, 2frus, chocolate is good for you. Fiddler could you give us a sample of your eating and exercise since the weight just seems to be falling off? Jo, I walked 6mi. again today and boy does it hurt. But I'm sick of this belly of mine. I'm sure I won't keep this up but I hope I keep something up. I do great in the summer with all the gardening but seem to turn into a slug in the winter.

carolr3639
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Forgot to say, Jo, that you can buy a minitrampoline with a bar to keep your balance. I think it looks kind of neat.

fiddler
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Fiddler could you give us a sample of your eating and exercise since the weight just seems to be falling off?

Lots of ethnic food--mostly Thai, Mexican, and Indian. Lots of salads and soups. Mostly made from scratch. Almost no processed foods. However, tonight I'm having a reuben sandwich because I'm craving sauerkraut.

Right now I'm not getting as much exercise as I would like. I try to walk 2 miles a day plus hit the gym for circuit training 3 times a week, but I've been too busy to do that much lately. I am, however, doing 4 to 8 hours of yard work a week, so that helps.

Spinymouse
03-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I love sauerkraut. There is actually a "sauerkraut club" and "sauerkraut chat."
check out www.sauerkrautrecipes.com

Spinymouse
03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
an article from the Mayo Clinic which appeared in the ediets newsletter. Pretty basic stuff but reinforcement is always good, right?
http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?code=22384&cmi=2426177

carolr3639
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the article, Jo. My family loves ruebens but we do it a little different. We use ham, rye bread, baby swiss, sauerkraut and a dressing called Dorothy Lynch that was first made in NE where we grew up.

Spinymouse
03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Jo (Spinymouse) took the picture so she gets the credit. I just stood there. :D

HA. You just stood there lookin' lean!!! The Credit is Thine!! One of these days I'm going to be worth of an "after" picture....... (dreaming)

carolr3639
03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Jo, "Those days" will be here before you know it. How do you do the "quote" thing that's just above your message?

shelby897
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry to jump in here, just wondering if there is a beginning thread here that kind of explains how this works. Having a hard time counting calories because I obsess too much, wondering if I should try this out.

Have a great day.

CinnamonGirl
03-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Shelby,

Check out this thread

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90266

that's where I fist started reading about it. There are a few references to books in that thread that can help you too!

Beth

shelby897
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
:) Thanks!!

Obsidianbbw
03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone, welcome new people.

Eating has returned to normal. Jumped on the scale just to see and doing ok. Not an official weigh-in but I think the gain was more TOM than anything else. I seem to be back to pre-TOM weight. I broke down and bought the 100 calories snacks. I seemed to have a problem on my late nights at work about an hour before I was supposed to leave work. I would hit the vending machine only to find nothing I wanted and settling for something ( I still have a half finished bag of wheat thins). Only thing I try and eat all my fruit for the day and if I am still hungry I eat the 100 calorie pack. Funny, I haven't touched the pack I through in my bag on Monday.

Off Topic. BF and I had a VERY long talk so we're going to maintain until he heads to IRAQ. I think I can't just walk away knowing he might not come back again...no make up in 6 months..he might not be alive. Anyway....still marinating, but looks like things will be ok.

ok NSV-Back in Jan I ordered Girl Scout cookies. I had completely forgotten. So the wicked cookies (75 calories a cookie). While I am doing IE...all I could think when I looked at the content was the 2 lb gain. So I gave away three quarters of the box. Had 4 cookies over 2 days and was fine.

Working out has been kind of a trial. Mostly because of wacky schedule and late nights, but managed 20 min last night. Something else. While I used to LOVE WATP. I absolutely can't stand watching her now. Just too much chatting, can we sweat already?

Lastly, anyone make sushi at home? It's one of my favorite snacks and thinking if I could do it at home I could have it for lunch a lot every week.

Spinymouse
03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Shelby!
Beth - thanks for that link you posted for Shelby - it makes me wonder where all those people went, though...
Carol - I just clicked on the "quote" box on the right of the post I wanted to quote
Obi - I make my own sushi! I will post some recipes later when I get to my home recipes. Most important thing if you use raw fish is to use sushi-grade fish. I would not use any fish I got at the regular supermarkets. I would go to fish markets or directly to the fishermen who dock here. Maybe in NYC you have good access to sushi-grade.
Also I use brown rice and honey instead of white rice and sugar to make the sticky-rice. I'll post more details later!

carolr3639
03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Obi, I know how you feel about WATP. I gave mine away. I'm into long walks right now but since it rained today, I road the stationary bike. At least I can read to my hearts content on that. We have lost of hills in WI and sometimes I take a pocket book to get me up the big ones. ha! I've never tried sushi. The raw fish always scared me away. Welcome, Shelby. How's everything going, Beth? Thanks, Jo, I finally see how to do the quote thing.

Obsidianbbw
03-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Ok Spiny Mold me, shape me..

What exactly is sushi grade fish, just so I know when people try and jerk me around. I am going to try the whole food market and see if they have it.

fiddler
03-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok Spiny Mold me, shape me..

What exactly is sushi grade fish, just so I know when people try and jerk me around. I am going to try the whole food market and see if they have it.

Since Spiny is probably off dreaming up yet another entry for the Pillsbury Bake-off contest so she can win $1 million and retire, here's a link for you, Obie :D

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040513.html

Hey, Spiny, what about a corn muffin with a chili filling instead of the traditional chili with cornbread? You could "frost" them with some kind of sour cream/chipotle chile/cheese mixture.

CinnamonGirl
03-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Obi, I know how you feel about WATP. I gave mine away. I'm into long walks right now but since it rained today, I road the stationary bike. At least I can read to my hearts content on that. We have lost of hills in WI and sometimes I take a pocket book to get me up the big ones. ha! I've never tried sushi. The raw fish always scared me away. Welcome, Shelby. How's everything going, Beth? Thanks, Jo, I finally see how to do the quote thing.

Oh, I'm really off! I've been off for over a week now. Can't seem to eat right (types of foods are good but too much and for the wrong reasons), not exercising much to speak of, sleep's been really bad. We're trying to get a bunch of work done for a gallery and we're pushing waaaaay too hard so everything else has fallen to the wayside. My days and nights are all mixed up so YUCK! I need to get my balance back. :(

My goal for tomorrow: eat a "normal" amount of food because I'm hungry NOT tired and get outside for a walk! Also NO Kashi Go Lean - it's become an obsession, I'm eating waaaaay to much of it and is not doing me any favors trigger-wise. I've got to somehow find my motivation that has gone missing over the past few weeks. I feel like I'm on the edge of that ***HORROR*** slippery slope and don't want to go there!

Any help or words or motivation would be greatly appreciated you guys! :(

Beth

2frustrated
03-22-2007, 06:46 AM
:hug: Beth - We all have cruddy days/weeks etc. Giving up on the Kashi sounds like a plan at the moment. Also - TAKE A FLIPPIN NAP! I know it's hard, spesh when there's no time, but even sitting in the bathroom stall and closing your eyes for 5 mins is better than nothing (I know, I have done this!!!! I have also slept out in the car park in the back of the company car at lunchtime! :lol: ) Also, when you need to take a break, go for a nice brisk walk - it will make you feel better and you'll come back feeling refreshed. :hug: Hope things come back to normal for you soon!

Well in Frus-land things are going particularly well. My exercise plan is spot on for the week, however I am TIRED :yawn: from it all - but never mind, just today and a weights workout tomorrow to get through, then it's NAP TIME! :lol:

Eating wise I blew last weekend, this week has been good even if it was a little higher in calories than I would've liked. I mentally add it up at the end of the day and most days have been coming in at around 2000, which is fine by me since I think I "naturally" burn around 2300 not including exercise. And BOY have I been exercising this week??? :lol:

I'm tempted to post my scales to my mother so that I have this scared thing. I figure, if I don't want to put on weight, and I don't KNOW if I've put on weight, then I will automatically choose the healthy choice... It could work! Maybe I should just try a fortnight without weighing :dunno:

Anyway... I have a good mantra now - "Running a Marathon will be easier if I'm lighter..." :dizzy: It's true to a certain extent and I hope it makes me more aware of what I'm shoving in my gob! :lol:

:goodvibes:

Obsidianbbw
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
:hug: Beth, I'm with 2Frus sneak sleep in whenever you can and if possible take a small walk, even if it is around the block or car park. I find when I work 8 hours or more straight. I NEED to get away from my desk for sometime even if it is 10 min doing nothing on the toilet. Or sleeping in an empty office. Hope it gets better :hug:

The thing about the eating. When I was doing the whole house buying thing I tried to ask myself if I was hungry and and how much. Sometimes I ate anyway and sometimes I was able to walk away from whatever it was. I was able to maintain until it was all over. So don't be to hard on yourself :hug:

Spiny,Fiddler-ok I am now fully educated in sushi fish requirements. I am going to walk up to the whole foods supermarket since I trust them a little more than other places and see whats poppin' in the fish department.

Spiny. I was thinking about you and the exercise thing. Exercise is what you make it. and I say do it intuitively. OK no idea why I needed to say that, but there it is.

Something else I have been rolling around in the ole noggin' the whole self esteem thing. We are all beautiful women and :censored: anyone who doesn't see that can move and get the :censored: out of the way.
I spent the first 21 years of my life walking behind people and have NO self esteem I will be darned if I let anyone treat me other than the complete Queen that I am. Period.

I think we all have wishy washy days, but sometimes You need a little. I am a Diva...you should be honored to be in my presence attitude.

This is not to say go out and step on people, but I think everyone needs a little diva in them.

Ok. I am off the soapbox and will no longer subject you to my ramblings.

Obie Out...

carolr3639
03-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Beth. The other day when I got really down like you I decided to start walking again. I had been having way to many crying episodes. Since then I've been walking 5 to 6 mi. a day and though it is killing me it has stopped most of the crying and feeling sorry for myself. It seems to have lessened my appetite, too. This was my 8th day although I skip Sun. I'm amazed how quickly the soreness goes away if you skip a day. Healing is wonderful! Obi, I love reading your posts........they're not too long. 2frus, I read some of your other posts and ran into YP. She is amazing! I read some of her blog. I have a big week, too, as we are having a Bible conference for several hundred people and I'm one of the cooks. Most things we prepare ahead so it's not too bad. We also keep people in our homes so cleaning is kind of a priority right now. Good thing I have a 16 yr. old daughter who like to earn money.

CinnamonGirl
03-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Thank you, Fru, Obi and Carol! :hug: You are all so very supportive and helpful I can't thank you enough.

I will go for a walk today. It's bright and sunny and WARM here so I want to take advantage of it. I'm not much of a napper but a break is always good. It's so nice to have 3FC to come to when you really need a shoulder to cry on or an arm for support. Thank you again!

Carol, I'm glad to hear the walking is helping you! :hug:

Beth

carolr3639
03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Thank you, Beth. It's is getting a little easier every day although it does take quite a bit of time. When it rains, I try to use the exercise bike and my dd wants to get an eliptical. My married son has one and likes it. It's just nice to have something when the weather is bad especially in the dead of winter. I do a lot of gardening so that helps in the summer.

2frustrated
03-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Beth - hope you're feeling better.

Stuff is straightening out for me. I had a REALLY bad binge-attack last night and it made me feel so sick :barf: I even yelled at myself in the middle of it and it made me slow down a little at least. :rolleyes:

Well I felt ill till about 10am, so then I've had a pretty reasonable day today, lean protein, fruits and veggies. I even asked myself what I'd like for dinner and the answer was "VEGETABLES PLEASE!" so I emptied all the veggies we had onto a tray and baked the lot! :lol: I am one happy camper now! I feel like I've got all my vitamins! :D

CinnamonGirl
03-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey Fru :wave: I'm better today. Inching my way back from the abyss. I just started re-reading the Relapse thread in Living Maintenance. I found this quote of yours...

"You become your I ams" - What you think about constantly can shape your behaviour. If you are constantly telling yourself that you are a failure for putting some weight back on and you'll never lose it again, then hey-ho what happens... You struggle. If you constantly tell yourself that you can't (won't) lose weight, then what do you think happens? As some famous dude once said, "The law of flotation was not discovered by the contemplation of sinking things." Think about what you want to become and you will be attracted towards that vision.

Thank you for writing this! It's really true. I have to remember that even though on the surface I'm a lazy slug that would like to dive face first into Ben & Jerry's on a daily basis deep down I'm really an athlete. I always was as a child and even during the first few years of college. Something happened on the way to now that's pushed that athlete out of my consciousness.

So starting today, right NOW! I am an athlete! I eat like an athlete, I think like an athlete, I train like an athlete. :bike: I'm not going to beat myself up when things go wrong I'll just start again! I'm going to print this out and tape it up all over my house to remind myself when I'm feeling low.

Thanks!
Beth

CinnamonGirl
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Fru, forgot to add... sorry about your binge but sounds like you pulled out of it very well. Intuitively too!

2frustrated
03-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks for pulling that up! That's something I needed to hear to reinforce a few things.

I've had a pretty good weekend - I didn't order fries or dessert when we ate out on Saturday and didn't feel at all "deprived". I bought some maltesers for going to the cinema, but didn't finish the bag. In fact there's still some left! I put some in a bowl yesterday to eat, but I just didn't eat them! :dunno: :crazy:

Yesterday I went for a run and hurt my knee :p But I bought myself some jewellery and then came home and ate a brownie and ice cream that I'd promised myself after my run, but I only ate half the brownie! I have the other half with me today... In fact that might be next down the hatch! :lol:

I re-read the book "I can make you thin" by Paul Makenna (sp?) and it's basically all about intuitive eating with some NLP in there too. It comes with a CD that I haven't listened to yet because a small part of me thinks it's mumbo-jumbo. Anyway, what I learned, or re-learned is to eat consciously. He says that other diet gurus used to recommend to chew 20 times before swallowing. He also says to put your fork/food down between mouthfuls, so this is what I'm concentrating on at the moment :)

As for binging - it didn't do the scales any harm so I'm not too bothered. I know what happened and why it happened, so I will be able to be "eyes wide open" next time I'm in that situation.

Well I suppose I'd better get some work done... :D

Obsidianbbw
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
:carrot: :bravo: Yeah 2frus. Glad to see you doing ok. I didn't know about the fork thing, will have to try that from now on.

Got on the scales, lost the weight I gained plus some. Went home to visit the parents. Did better on eating there than I have before. Ate some stuff i probably wouldn't have touched anywhere else (white pasta) but not a huge deal I was bonding with the family. I think it also helped I brought fruit and some stuff I eat with me.

Nothing else to report.

Cin hope everything is doing better.

Fiddler, Carol, Spiny...what's poppin?

carolr3639
03-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm really tired from a big weekend cooking for a crowd so will be back later. Thanks.

Obsidianbbw
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Christian Intuitive Eating thread...the weigh down diet? I posted there

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1626811&posted=1#post1626811

carolr3639
03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for that, Obi.

carolr3639
03-27-2007, 01:05 PM
After cooking all weekend I had an interesting experience with fullness. We were just exhausted but were invited to a hymn sing Sun. night after gospel meeting. It lasted until midnight. The funny thing was I couldn't eat one bite of the lunch that was served. I had had it with looking at food!!! I did drink a large glass of water but that was it. That night I thought I'd never be hungry again. ha! I finally go back to walking this morning and mangaged another long walk. It's go to be good for you, at least I hope so.

carolr3639
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
That should be got not go ..... in the last 2 lines.

2frustrated
03-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Carol I know what you mean about not wanting to look at food! I used to work as a kitchen assistant and did salads, sandwiches and desserts. I used to get home and say, "Muuuuuuuuum, make me a sandwich..." And she'd refuse, so I ended up either eating nothing or just eating a bowl of cereal! I lost about 7lbs doing that job, even though we were allowed to eat free puddings :drool: :D

fiddler
03-28-2007, 11:40 AM
After cooking all weekend I had an interesting experience with fullness. We were just exhausted but were invited to a hymn sing Sun. night after gospel meeting. It lasted until midnight. The funny thing was I couldn't eat one bite of the lunch that was served. I had had it with looking at food!!! I did drink a large glass of water but that was it. That night I thought I'd never be hungry again. ha! I finally go back to walking this morning and mangaged another long walk. It's go to be good for you, at least I hope so.

Carol,

That's part of the reason I do so much cooking ;) It keeps me from wanting to eat. Ironic, isn't it?

Bunnababy
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Good morning everyone. :coffee2: I am not new to 3FC but to this thread. I have been doing SBD but am tired of so many limitations in my selections and having to have special food in the fridge and cupboards. I decided yesterday to go back to intuitive eating. It is what works for me and I just need to stick with it. I am currently doing a workbook called "Don't Diet, Live It" and it helps with the emotional crap behind my binging. Last night at my TOPS meeting to the two women who are KOPS (have reached their goals) talked about how they lost their weight and it was just plain eating less food but otherwise they didn't change anything.

I am 55 with 2 children and 5 grandchildren from 3 yo (today) to 16 yo. We own a restaurant, work a lot of hours, take care of my 82 yo mil who is a huge pain in the a** but no one else will do it so we're stuck. Nursing home here we come. :D

Look forward to getting to know you all.

2frustrated
03-29-2007, 05:20 AM
:wave: I had a bad IE day yesterday! :kickbutt:

I just about grazed all day. I think I was bored.

Then I got home hungry, but while I was waiting for my tea to cook I just ate... Then I ate my tea and the food in the cupboards was just singing to me. I was reading my book and I kept answering. :( Then DH came home and I had a 2nd dinner even though I wasn't at all hungry. Then we had ice cream :(

I'm fairly mad with myself but today is a new day and I think perhaps I need to eat bigger meals so that I don't feel the need to graze like a :moo: all day!

After dinner all the food was still singing to me but I just said no. I think perhaps that is a bit of progress, but I still feel bad about eating pizza and ice cream! :) :dunno:

Well today is a new day and I feel ok about things. I just feel a little heavy. :p I'm sure I didn't eat enough to put on weight, but it just gives you a bit of a self-esteem knock doesn't it?

Anyway, moving on! I've got the gym and some kickboxing today and I really want to work as hard as my knee allows :)

carolr3639
03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
2frus, I had the same kind of day. And isn't it interesting how you can "feel fat" when you know nothing has changed. But, yes, today is a new day and I am feeling better about things. I'm rereading The Weigh Down Diet because I know I really need the Lord to get me through this.

Obsidianbbw
03-29-2007, 11:46 AM
:wave: Welcome Bunnababy Hope you stay awhile

I don't have alot of time to cook, so for lunch I usually bring in a frozen meal. I finally got tired of the ones I was buying and switched to the whole food version which are 300-400 calories versus 200-300. I don't have the issue of being hungry the last 2 hours of work and raiding the vending machine. The extra 100 calories and I think it being better food for me....helped. Also I can get Indian frozen meals which makes it even better.

On the other hand completely slacked off on exercise so not going to make my 800 min goal this month, but ok with that. Hopefully my schedule in April will be pretty stable so I should be ok Weigh-in is Friday and no idea where I'm at. As long as I haven't gained I'm ok. March has been a real learning month.

I need to eat bigger meals so that I don't feel the need to graze like a :moo: all day!

carolr3639
03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Welcome, Bunna. I'm 58 and have 10 children. My dh is a veterinarian and we live on a farm and have beef cows and golden retriever pups for sale.

carolr3639
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey, Obi. You posted almost the same time as I did! I know what you mean about the exercise. Boy, this week I feel like a slug but then it is raining nearly every day and I am not big on indoor exercise.

Bunnababy
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Okay, so I did this nice long post to everyone and for some reason it said I wasn't logged in even though it showed I was. Computer glitch somewhere.

2fru: Don't be too hard on yourself for yesterday. Today is a new day and you will do fine. :hug:

Carol: 10 kids, WOW! I am guessing some of them are still home? I loved living on a farm when my kids were younger. Now we only have two acres and a good portion of it is wooded and the neighborhood doesn't allow livestock animals. That's what I told dh when he wanted to get a pot-bellied pig but now I want a miniature horse. ;) I, too, need God's help in this weight issue.

Obi: Thanks for the direction the other day, otherwise I would not have found you guys.

Yesterday went pretty well. It was nice to enjoy birthday cake without feeling like I was off plan for a change. I did buy the slow churned 1/2 fat ice cream and it was really good. I am working on getting water down this week and that is the one thing I want to change this week. At TOPS we were talking about how we try to change our whole entire eating world in one day and then we wonder why we fail at it. So just the water this week. Talk to you all later and have a wonderful day.

carolr3639
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi Bunna, My daughter is from Portland. We were there in Jan.

2frustrated
03-30-2007, 05:14 AM
:faint: OMG Carol! 10 KIDS! :eek: OMG!!!!! You poor lady, you! ;) Just kidding... Were you going for a whole football team? :D

Bunna - thanks for the hug! Also isn't it a great feeling actually ENJOYING cake and not feeling at all guilty about it??? :goodvibes:

Well I did super yesterday :D I went to the gym and did my full weights routine. I ate when I was hungry, I had a fairly decent and filling lunch which kept me full right through until after my 2 hours of kickboxing. I was going to get some Jaffa Cakes out of the vending machine between classes, but I got down there and thought, "Nope, not really that hungry yet." and I had taken a rice pudding snack with me and I didn't want that either. But I got home and had a fairly big dinner. A big dinner made up of little things! :lol: First off I had a fried egg with mushrooms and toast, then I was still hungry, so I had the rice pudding snack that I took to training, then a banana, then a cracker and some chocolate raisins! :lol: But I didn't over eat at all :D

I think I twigged something with the chocolate raisins. They can be something of a trigger food for me. And I was having a small handfull last night and was just about to pour them all in my mouth, when I thought, "Hang on a minute... ENJOY them! DUHHHHHH!" So I ate them one at a time and was reasonably satisfied! Of course they don't taste as good individually as a whole mouthful of them, but they are more satisfying. Go figure! :lol:

Today I've got the gym planned after work, then I might make this sweet potato custard recipe I got from s.park.peopl.e (it usually gets starred out if you mention it, since we were spammed by some members a while ago. I don't visit the site, but I do get their newsletter). I've also got some quorn escalopes with cranberry and brie on them... I'm really tempted to have the last one for dinner, but I know DH likes them, and it seems a bit mean of me to eat his veggie stuff! :lol: I think I might have salmon and sweet potato fries or something, that would be nice :) DH objects since I stink the house out with salmon but he's just gonna have to live with it! :devil: :lol:

carolr3639
03-30-2007, 10:54 AM
2 frus, Way to go on your good day. It's seems English people eat different than Americans. Anyway, your food at least sounds different. Maybe we just call things different names.......like quorn escalopes. I did make some baked sweet potato fries the other day for the first time and I like them. I still have company so I am doing more cooking than ususal.

carolr3639
03-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I should explain the more cooking. Because of the big family, I basically started making bk, then letting each make their own lunch since they all wanted somthing different, and lastly, making a big sit down dinner. My dh doesn't like bk and my girls would rather sleep in so I don't usually make bk unless I have company and then I do lunch, too. So when it's just me, dh and dd I usually just make dinner. The boys always wanted a big bk but the last boy went to college this year so that ended.

2frustrated
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
:lol: Quorn escalopes... :D

Well quorn is just textured vegetable protein, like morningstar burgers etc... And I think escalope is just a name for a cut of chicken or turkey breast and it's usually coated in breadcrumbs. So these are fake chicken/turkey breasts with cranberries and brie on the top covered in breadcrumbs :dizzy:

carolr3639
03-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I had a pretty good day yesterday until company came over after a meeting. I wasn't going to eat.....it was late......but we sat and talked and I finally ate. Well, today is another day and I have decided that when I eat I will take just a little of what I want and see if that is really it. Sometimes I want something sweet and something salty so if I have a little bit I can maybe have more of a variety of things. It's amazing how just a couple of bites of something can satisfy. This IE thing really does take some investigation.

Bunnababy
03-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Good morning. :coffee:

You are right IE takes some time to get the hang of. When I did it before I actually gained some to start with because all of the sudden chocolate chip cookies with nuts were legal. :cookie: Oooppps:T I also think that with all of the dieting we lose touch with what our bodies really want or need. My eating is also stress related. I say I am an emotional eater but I really only stuff the food in when I am uncomfortable with negative feelings. :rollpin:

Yesterday I did pretty good but gave in and had a diet cola. I didn't enjoy it that much and didn't finish it either so that is a good sign. My goal for this week's change is to get enough water down and I know I didn't do that yesterday. Got on the scale this morning and am showing another 1.5 lb gain, this is not good because I haven't been eating much the last couple of days since the birthday party.

One of the problems I am having with even the intuitive eating is that I need to not eat sugar, white flour, or artificial sweetners, and that sounds so restrictive to me I am having problems with it. But today is another day and I have overs. So no more :tantrum: and move ahead.

Everyone have a wonderful day :dust:

Wiffle
04-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

It has been ages since I checked in. I've been plodding along with Overcoming Overeating approach, but I wish someone else was doing exactly the same thing. I suppose it would make me feel less crazy. Whenever I try to talk to anyone about this, they inevitably turn the conversation to dieting.

I joined Curves a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I have no clue what I weigh or if I am up or down, as I don't look and I don't let anyone (doctor, Curves lady) tell me what I weigh. Last time I took a peek at a scale it threw me into a tail spin.

Curves is good fun though, so easy and quick. It helps me stay focused on not doing the same old thing and to put thought into what I am doing.

We had moved last year and we've really had to put a lot into the house. Some remodeling and a lot of repairs means spending a lot of money. It also means a lot of mess and general disorder, which I do not like.

I notice that when money is a topic I do a lot of emotional eating. I get scared and it shows in my eating. Eat now for when is the next time you will get German food, or steak, etc. It is easy to overdo it, and it is easy to fool the mind that I am not sated. In reality sometimes I feel nothing in my gut, like it is completely disconnected from the rest of me!

I've been working for the past several months. It is a temp job that doesn't pay well, but it does help that I have a schedule and that I get dressed everyday. I think I need smaller pants and I've ordered a pair. Once this job ends I need to figure out if I will find "real" work or do something here at home. But with working eight hours a day I find the remaining hours are much more productive.

So I will try to check in here more often. I am glad to see the familiar names still here. I enjoyed the pictures in this thread too!

2frustrated
04-02-2007, 08:28 AM

Hello all!

I bought a new book! It's called "Beyond Chocolate" and it's FANTASTIC! It's written by 2 English sisters and boy is it amazing. It's all about loving yourself and throwing the scales away and wearing clothes that fit and listening to what you really want to eat.

There's an exercise in the book that if you have a "forbidden" food that you don't allow in the house because you will eat it all, then buy enough of that food that you couldn't possibly eat in one go. For me it is chocolate digestive biscuits (cookies). They say to buy 30 packets of your food and keep it in plain sight and have some for a meal, but really concentrate on it, savour the flavour and stop when you're satisfied.

Well I was going to stock up on choccy biccies on the way to work, but my bike panniers were full already, so I think I will pop down after I've been to the gym. I'm not going to buy 30 packets, but maybe 5 or 7 packets. :lol: Then I'm going to fill my bottom desk drawer with those packets of biscuits and eat choccy biccies for my afternoon snack. :D

The 10 "rules" of Beyond Chocolate are in my siggy. I think I'm going to struggle with the loving myself bit and the support bit. It suggests in the book going to see a councillor, but I'm really not comfortable with that and I'd have to pay since I'm not clinically depressed so I couldn't get it on the NHS. Well I think I might just blog and journal and see what happens. I know I have some issues that I think I am getting to the bottom of. Stuff about loneliness, control and insecurity.

So today I'm "Tuning In" and journalling when I feel a little bit hungry/uncomfortable in the tummy area.

Anyway, it's about gym time! :D :hyper: :bunny2:

Wiffle
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I bought a new book! It's called "Beyond Chocolate" and it's FANTASTIC! It's written by 2 English sisters and boy is it amazing. It's all about loving yourself and throwing the scales away and wearing clothes that fit and listening to what you really want to eat.

There's an exercise in the book that if you have a "forbidden" food that you don't allow in the house because you will eat it all, then buy enough of that food that you couldn't possibly eat in one go. For me it is chocolate digestive biscuits (cookies). They say to buy 30 packets of your food and keep it in plain sight and have some for a meal, but really concentrate on it, savour the flavour and stop when you're satisfied.

These are a few of the points of "Overcoming Overeating" that I've had a heard time explaining to people or finding anyone who would understand.

Does your book mention that you may well gain weight in the beginning but eventually your body should sort itself out?

I don't weigh and haven't in over a year. While I want to participate in communities like this, it is hard when (1) I don't have success like weight loss to report, since I never weigh and (2) I am supposed to work on accepting me, as I am now and not strive to be something different. Yet, I want to talk to people who understand!

Anyway, I will be looking up your book later today when I have more time. Sounds like a good read!

2frustrated
04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
They said throw out the scales!!!! There was no mention of gaining weight in the beginning, in fact weight is a "side effect" rather than THE REASON. Your relationship with food is the thing that is stressed, not do this this this and this and the weight will fall off.

I just bought 5 packets of chocolate digestives. I hadn't even got into the first packet when I hear, "Now Jennifer... What are you eating?" Well I think these are chocolate digestives but I could be wrong. They could be chocolate covered cow pats, or cardboard with felt-tip pen on the top....

:tantrum: You see the food police are out to get me before I even put the first biscuit in my mouth! :lol: I did say, "It's a chocolate digestive and I've only got 5 packets of them..." I think she thought I was joking. :p HA!

Stupid thing is, now I don't want those biccies at all! I've just eaten one and I just don't want them much. :D

fiddler
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't weigh and haven't in over a year. While I want to participate in communities like this, it is hard when (1) I don't have success like weight loss to report, since I never weigh and (2) I am supposed to work on accepting me, as I am now and not strive to be something different. Yet, I want to talk to people who understand!

Wiffle,

I understand where you're coming from. I didn't weigh either until fairly recently. I go to Curves and had them take measurements and weigh me, but I told them not to tell me my weight. So I didn't know what it was until one of them slipped up and accidentally told me. You may have noticed that my starting/current/goal is in sizes instead of pounds.

I don't like weighing, frankly. I don't believe it gives an accurate picture of what is happening with your body, and it teaches you to rely on what an external device says instead of what your own body is telling you. And for me, getting on the scale puts me back into the dieting mentality. I dieted for most of my life and gained massive amounts of weight doing it. Now that I have stopped, I have lost 75+ pounds in the last nine months (I don't know my exact starting weight but I know it is at least that much).

Just because you don't weigh doesn't mean you won't have successes to report. You can report when you can fit into a smaller pair of pants, or the day that 3 people who have never spoken to you before suddenly ask if you've lost weight. There are plenty of successes that have nothing to do with the scale, and personally I think they are the most gratifying ones.

I don't think accepting yourself as you are now means not striving to reach your full potential. I think it means not hating yourself for being overweight, not thinking negative thoughts about your body, and not feeling guilty about eating. There is a big difference between wanting to better yourself and feeling there is something wrong with the way you are.

Feel free to PM me sometime if you want. :)

Obsidianbbw
04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Between no internet because of a stupid splitter and more drama with the boyfriend haven't been posting.
For me I use the scale as a guide of what I am doing. Since I don't measure and I can't always tell the difference in my clothes its helped. I don't use it as a way to determine success or failure though. When I gain I look at what I've been doing and say ok lets try something different. I don't think I believe in failure as long as I've learned something from it. I don't think life is that cut and dry and neither is weight loss.

Ok ya'll are making me think...stop it :D

Wiffle
04-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Fiddler, I really hope that no one slips up and tells me my weight! Ugh!

When I started my temp job (it is the same seasonal temp job I had last year) a few people mentioned I had lost weight. And, I went to a specialty bra store and the fitting lady told me that I am not that big in my band measurement (38" or 40") but wow, my cup size is big. But I did take it as encouraging that she thought my band size was not that big. So there were two "good things".

Curves has been great. I thought it would be too "lightweight" for me but it seems just right. This is my third week going and my heartrate is getting better. I can put effort into my routine and still keep the heart rate around 20. The first week there I was alarmed by how high my heart rate was going when I was doing next to nothing.

Over the weekend we bought a lot of fruit and I am determined that we will stop wasting food. We are shooting for two pieces of fruit a day. I've decided to put fruit out at dinner instead of having it when we get around to it.

Obsidian, I'm going to let the lady at Curves weigh me and put it in my chart and if I get comfortable with myself I may want to go back and look. But for now it is too likely to upset me.

I am sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I know that is so upsetting. The last breakup I had was terrible. I need to go back and read your story. It is so hard to read all the posts after any absence.

2frustrated, who in the world is being your food police??? That is so funny, yet annoying. About the gaining weight, your "Beyond Chocolate" sounds like Overcoming Overeating in so many ways. The gaining weight part is when you eat the chocolate biscuits when you feel like it and then gain some weight with the confidence that it will drop off later when the biscuits aren't such a big deal anymore. But maybe there is a difference in the programs after all! Regardless, it sounds very close and I look forward to your writings.

Well must sleep now!

2frustrated
04-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Heh! It was a lady who work who called me on eating choccy biccies! They all think I'm a super-healthy fitness freak who doesn't eat pizza and stuff. Well they're only right on one front - I AM a super-healthy fitness freak, but I DO eat pizza and stuff. :p And I think I will eat less if I "officially" let myself eat it, rather than rebelling, or "treating" myself with a pizza. It's JUST FOOD!!!!! :tantrum:

So yesterday I "tuned in" and journalled my little heart out for most of the work day :lol:

This morning I did the naked mirror thing and I thought, "Oooh I look good today!" I'm sure it's 100% mental since I haven't lost 7lbs overnight, but my stomach, I thought, was looking flatter! Maybe TOM is de-bloating me today :dunno:

Yeah, so it's all good. I'm feeling balanced. :bunny2:

Obsidianbbw
04-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Wiffle- The only thing you can do wrong is not do what is right for you. Hope that makes sense, glad to see you're enjoying the exercise.

Short story on the boyfriend. We've known each other for 7 years, dated for 6 months, stoppped, got back together when he said he was going to iraq been dating for a year and 2 months. The last 3 months have been ****. Yesterday he told me he was annoyed I wouldn't get with the program. Trust and believe no one wants to get with his program. I have stopped caring. I don't believe in being unhappy its against my religion so my phones are off and he can talk to the answering machine and maybe IT will get with the program cuz there is no way I am.

Something interesting I've probably experienced every emotion in the last 3 months and none really had an effect on my hunger, but rage and anger have been great appetite suppressant.

2Frus speaking of the food police. The guys at work have been monitoring me and the girl scout cookies, which I have been doing pretty good with. Every one of them has asked me once while I was eating the cookies. Hey you're not supposed to eat that.

Here are my responses.
I don't remember asking you if I could eat the cookie.
Really well losing 30 lbs says I can.
I'm happy leave me alone.

No they aren't the most diplomatic answers. LOL...but they only ask me once.

2frustrated
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Perhaps, "You're not supposed to put your foot in your mouth but you do it anyway!" :foot:

Obsidianbbw
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
:D thanks I needed that...

Perhaps, "You're not supposed to put your foot in your mouth but you do it anyway!" :foot:

2frustrated
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Glad to help!

I'm coming to a revelation... I don't want to eat anything else sweet today! I probably mentioned that I was doing the thing with the "forbidden" foods... Well I've been eating a few biccies, but not as much as I could've done. Nor as much as I would've done if they were still forbidden. :D Anyway, so I've had about 3.5 biccies today. I had a banana caramel pancake for brekky, some biccies, then beef bagel for lunch, another half biccie, then a yoghurt with nuts & cranberries, a kiwi and some strawberries and now I'm a bit gutted because I think I'll probably be hungry while I'm training tonight and I've only got chocolate biccies to take with me :( I have a pot of rice pudding too, but that's pretty sweet. Although I might take that with me since it'll be a bit nicer than flippin choccy biccies!

Oooh I never thought I'd be here, but I think my sweet tooth's going! Which is good because I've been eating sweet stuff since the weekend! :D :hyper: YAY! I love this intuitive eating thing! :broc: I'm going to have some cauliflower for tea! :lol:

carolr3639
04-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, something wierd happened. I usually put a shortcut to the page we are on and then when the next page comes up it show up. This time it didn't show up and I thought everyone had quit posting. boo hoo. Well, when I was looking at the main page I saw Obi posted and then logged off.....can't remember why. When I logged on I couldn't find her post. I was so frustrated (he he 2frus!) so I clicked on her name to find all her posts and low and behold there was a page 15. So now I'm not trusting this page thing anymore. Good to hear all your stories. What are biccies? I tried to buy the Beyond Chocolate book and it was $26 for a paper back book!!! A bit much, I think. Isn't it funny how some days you feel thinner? I'm not sure that's a good thing, ha! Now here's a question. Yesterday my dd and I went shopping and didn't eat until we were starving. Shopping is more important, right? Well, 2 hr. after we ate I was still hungry. The cool thing is that I ate soup and was really satisfied for the rest of the night. I never dreamed it would hold off till morning. I usually wake up really hungry. So would you, in general, eat if you were hungry and had just had a big meal 2 hr earlier?

carolr3639
04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Dear Obi, I know all about the food police. If it wasn't my mom then it was my dh........or my 10kids!!!!!!!!!

Bunnababy
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
:coffee: Good morning all.

Food police huh??? They are so annoying trying to be helpful but really being a hindrance. :devil: :devil: :devil:

I have been working a lot the last few days. Had our weigh in at TOPS last night and I managed to get rid of one half pound. :woohoo: At least it was downward.

Besides working I have been trying to find a foster home or assisted living unit with a bed for my mil. Feeling very very:tired:

One of the issues I am having with the intuitive eating is that I am not supposed to eat white flour, sugar, or artificial sweetners so that narrows the food field considerably. I will do this though.

:congrat: Carol on getting through the night on the soup.

Obi: Sorry about the boyfriend troubles. He is probably nervous and not acting himself. I know I would be if I were heading for Iraq. I am sure you nervous about it too. :hug:

2fru: Did you get through yesterday without anything else sweet? It was good that you recognized that you didn't want anything else sweet. :cheer2:

wiffle: I agree that weighing yourself can be harmful to this WOE. I also think that is an individual decision and I would encourage you to post here and join us as there are many many NSV's to report along the way. Hope you decide to stay. :^:

fiddler: Glad you are enjoying Curves. I belonged two years ago and decided to join the gym instead but I don't go to that either and unfortunately just having a gym membership doesn't change anything. :frypan:

shananigans
04-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Hello ladies, :wave:

I happened across you little group here and have enjoyed reading about your experiences with IE. I started my efforts to lose weight and get healthier by counting calories and keeping a fitday journal, and it did work to begin with. However after a couple of months I was really sick of spending so much time measuring and obsessing and trying to figure out how many calories were in every single thing I put in my mouth. So I took the general principles that I learned during that phase and kind of applied them without being a nut about recording everything. I basically learned how many calories are in the foods I eat often, what one portion should look like, eating when I'm hungry and not when I'm not, and tried to stick to whole healthy foods most of the time. But I am not the kind of girl who can go forever without some beer, pizza, wine, Chinese food, etc. I am a big social eater, so if Iím out with my friends I will be engaging in eating and drinking right along with everyone else, but I do find that now I will eat less and tend to make choices that are a little healthier. Sounds a little like IE?

I lost about 35 pounds last year, but Iíve pretty much been maintaining since last summer. I got a little too loose and a recent move and job change kind of took my focus off my eating and fitness for a while. Iím staring to re-engage with that and am hoping to take another 30 pounds off in the next year.

Iíll be back to check on what you all are up to.

2frustrated
04-05-2007, 05:14 AM
:wave: Hello!

I was out yesterday and BOY did I have a GREAT TIME! I was stuck in the car for about 6 hours with chocolates and biscuits (biccies/cookies), apples, bakery stuff, more chocolate... etc etc!!! BUT I ate intuitively. I ate when I was hungry and I stopped when I was satisfied. There may have been a couple of times when I ate when I wasn't reallly THAT hungry, but I knew it, and I only ate a little bit, just a taste. We had fish and chips for lunch at the beach and I ate intuitively and knew EXACTLY when to stop. :D I felt really satisfied and yummy in myself. It's a great feeling, this being satisfied. I was even hungry enough for some more food in the car on the way home! :lol:

Then I "exercised" intuitively - I went to the gym because I hate sitting in the car all day. I did a pilates class as well as weight-lifting, and there was a "aerotone" class afterwards, which the old gym-bunny me would've done as well as everything else, just because I could. But the new Beyond Chocolate me decided that I'd had enough and really needed a bath because I was stinky! :lol:

I had my bath when I got home and had some falafels with bread and butter and I ate until I was properly satisfied. I stopped between bites and everything! Then I was watching TV and I just felt so BLISSED. It was fantastic! I felt so 100% amazingly good. :D

I even threw out a letter from my "toxic" grandmother before reading it, because I didn't want her to spoil my day. She really is a :censored: Oh and I also got my ticket for a "No-Diet Day" tea party with the Beyond Chocolate crew in the post, so I was feeling extra-happy and excited about that :hyper: :D :D :D

2frustrated
04-05-2007, 05:14 AM
So would you, in general, eat if you were hungry and had just had a big meal 2 hr earlier?

Yes! If you're hungry - EAT! :D

Obsidianbbw
04-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm sick sniff sniff and I came into work, so now I am grumpy....blah.....

Well eating on IE while sick has been interesting. Yesterday I HAD to have ramen noodles. Even when I wasn't dieting i HATED ramen noodles. They were what I used to eat when I was young and had no money after the bills were paid so I avoid them at all costs. Well last night sick and all drove to the supermarket bought some and cooked them up. Today rather than my usual cup of milk and water for the rest of the day I had milk and apple juice and really I want more apple juice.

NSV- Finally able to start wearing some of the clothes I haven't been able to even zip up in at least 3 years. Kinda grumpy I am not into a smaller size yet, but appreciating the fact I can get into the old clothes. Pre-IE i was contemplating moving up a size...blah...

I've read all the posts, but my head feels like its packed with steel wool so just a general hope everyone is doing ok. :wave:

Also there is a post about Intuitive Eating on another forum. I have noticed a trend that I could be imagining...as soon as someone asks about IE...you get the same few people saying how could you possibly do that..I could never do that and it sounds wonky....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1640438&posted=1#post1640438

Ok, off to try and drag myself through 8 hours of work.

OT-MY and the ex boyfriend are speaking, I think we both want to maintain some kinda of friendship especially with the whole IRAQ thing. We are careful to avoid any topics that might set off another set of arguing.

OH 2frus congrats on the day of bliss.:carrot:

carolr3639
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome, Shanigans. Sounds like everyone is doing great. I've had 2 IE experiences lately that have really amazed me. Twice we have been invited to friends houses for late night get together and I have not eaten one bite because I just was not hungry. I think it goes back to my childhood. We used to eat supper and just not eat after that. I can't believe that is coming back to me.

carolr3639
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Fiddler, Do you ever make Tom Yum soup? I just got the recipe.....lots of ingredients but I love it. Obi, I hope that girl finds her way to IE.

Button_ewe
04-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey guys...me again stopping in :) I dont come to 3fc very often...part of the whole IE thing....DONT OBSESS....quit counting, quit worrying, eat when you are hungry and one more thing....STOP THINKING OF YOURSELF AS FAT....I have found that that one thing has helped more than anything.

I was reading a post by Glory (I think) about her weight loss adventure...basically eating healthier foods and paying more attention to actual nutrition and one thing she said at the end really struck me...because its happened to me....she said

" I started losing weight in July 2004. I weighed around 195 lbs. The weight came off very steadily, 1-2 lbs a week (with a few weeks of no loss here and there). In February 2005, I began to plateau at 140 lbs. This was very frustrating - my goal weight was 135 and I had a huge desire to see the scale say something UNDER 140 lbs. Just 1-3-something.

I tried eating less, working out more. I weighed myself everyday. I was pretty miserable. But, I never gave up.

Around May, I realized something pretty cool. The weight may not be going down, but it wasn't going up either. I was maintaining, something I had never been able to do before. I decided to quit being miserable and start enjoying all my hard work. I did look fabulous! I bought a bunch of cute clothes in size 10 and really enjoyed that summer.

I increased my calories very slowly to 1800-2000. Imagine my surprise when the scale said 138! I wasn't even trying to lose weight! In October 2005, I went on a 4 week business trip to Asia. I tried to make healthy choices and did a ton of walking, my pants were loose when I got home and I found out I weighed 135 (my goal weight!). I'm still not sure what happened, I think my body just started to feel like there was plenty of food coming in, no reason to hang on to fat reserves. In December - January, I lost 7 more lbs. I have been fairly stable at 126-130 since January 2006. My body seems to be very happy at this weight and so am I " Sounds like IE to me....

Well...I quit smoking and the eating went wonky for a bit, but after the initial binging to get over the nicotine cravings, i went right back to IE...Im below goal....I am a size 2 now and look and feel great. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and my only rule is "dont eat anything bigger than your fist". I am glad I decided to go this route and just cut out all the fussing with calories and fats etc....just eat foods that I like....believe it or not, most foods that I really like are pretty nutritious. Now that the "junk" food is back on the menu and I have permission to have it or not...most times I choose not. I have struggled with keeping my weight at a managable level for years...started out in the 160's...plateaued around 148 for a few years...dieted, regained....dieted, regained... Im really glad its over with and I have found something that I can really live with.

fiddler
04-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Fiddler, Do you ever make Tom Yum soup? I just got the recipe.....lots of ingredients but I love it. Obi, I hope that girl finds her way to IE.

Yes, I make it about once a week. I love it and it has practically no calories. Basically healthy too except for the sodium, but even that is probably no worse than a lot of other foods.

Do you make yours with shrimp or chicken?

I think I posted my recipe somewhere on the site a long time ago. I don't remember which forum.

Bikini Dreader
04-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I just saw someone mention this group in another post and I'm so happy to have found you guys! Finally a group that has similar ideas as I do.

I tried the calorie counting and restricting and have found that although it was important to learn that so that I could understand what food choices will mean for my diet, I'm not into the time and energy spent on that. I think I needed to find my hunger intuition but I finally feel like I'm back on track. I had definitely lost it for a while and still struggle with bingeing sometimes but it's not that I'm not aware of it any more.

I look forward to continuing to chat with you!

fiddler
04-06-2007, 12:00 AM
I just saw someone mention this group in another post and I'm so happy to have found you guys! Finally a group that has similar ideas as I do.

I tried the calorie counting and restricting and have found that although it was important to learn that so that I could understand what food choices will mean for my diet, I'm not into the time and energy spent on that. I think I needed to find my hunger intuition but I finally feel like I'm back on track. I had definitely lost it for a while and still struggle with bingeing sometimes but it's not that I'm not aware of it any more.

I look forward to continuing to chat with you!

Welcome! We're happy to have you here. :)

Obsidianbbw
04-06-2007, 09:02 AM
OK, I realize I can be a little stubborn at times (here is where you all say ...Obie stubborn? Never...)but I think I have figured out what the general problem people have with IE.

Some people have a theory that if you eat whatever you want you'll eventually get to a "natural weight". For me that is in the 350s since I was there for a long time. Eventually I probably would have hit 400, but it would have taken a while and I might not have. I was essentially "maintaining" in the 350s. IE isn't eating whatever you want...it is eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're not.

Mean while the boyfriend called last night and apologized for being a poopie head and putting me though ****. Really didn't see it coming. Maybe it was because I stopped calling him a poopie and he had time to think. We'll see

IE and Sick it wacky. I don't seem to build up to very hungry I seem to be ravenous when the hunger finally hits and I have been wanting salad and ramen noodles. Nothing else just salad and ramen noodles. 2 things I wasn't the least bit interested in before I got sick.

OT-so I haven't had internet access from home all week. Cable guy is supposed to come out today...I turn on the computer...guess what I can get only. I doubt it will stay like this.

Obsidianbbw
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
:bravo: Button_Ewe. Glad it is working for you :cp:
:welcome2: Bikini Dreader. Hope you stay a while.

carolr3639
04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Here's an interesting article.

Healthy Eating - Food is Food!
The written word cannot express how vehemently I believe that food must be seen as nothing more than food - not a self-righteous choice, not good or bad, not fattening or slimming, not a political statement, just food!

And no one's opinions about food makes me crazier than the self-righteous, self-appointed food finger pointer, Morgan Spurlock, who was the creator and "star" of "Super Size Me." The movie's premise was to watch Spurlock force food into his smug mug for thirty days, and watch what happened. Okay, spoiler coming up - he gains weight. He choose to overeat exclusively at McDonald's and to stop exercising. What the point of that was still escapes me, other than to show that OVEREATING (regardless of who made the food) and NOT EXERCISING has a deleterious effect upon the human body. He believes it shows that McDonald's is bad for you. Never let facts get in the way of a movie that grossed $28 million worldwide, and has led to Mr. Spurlock's personal success, and that of his girlfriend after she "de-toxed" him. He's now the "go-to" guy about nutrition.

And I'm not the only one that finds the premise of this movie half-baked.

In the Netherlands, Wim Meij, a reporter with the Algemeen Dagblad (a Dutch newspaper), performed another experiment. He also limited himself to eating at McDonald's, but instead of choosing just any meal from the menu, he chose carefully, with an emphasis on salads. He came out at least as healthy as he was before he started his 30-day experiment and lost 6.5 kg (14 lb) in the process.

In New Jersey documentary filmmaker Scott Caswell also performed a similar experiment. The results of his diet can be seen in his movie, which is titled Bowling for Morgan. It can be seen for free at BowlingForMorgan.com. Like Spurlock, Caswell consumed only McDonald's food, but generally opted for the healthier choices and did not gorge himself—a fact that Caswell oftens compares to the overeating done by Spurlock, who was often seen forcing himself to eat when he was not hungry. Over the course of the experiment, he lost 19 pounds and his cholesterol fell sharply.

Soso Whaley, of Kensington, New Hampshire, made her own film about dieting at McDonald's, called Me and Mickey D. The film follows Whaley as she spends three 30-day periods on the diet. She dropped from 175 to 139 pounds, eating 2,000 kilocalories a day at McDonald's. The film was funded by the Competitive Enterprise Institute (Whaley holds a C.E.I. fellowship).

Raleigh, North Carolina resident Merab Morgan went on a 90-day diet in which she ate at McDonald's exclusively, but she limited her intake to 1,400 kilocalories (5,900 kilojoules) per day. She lost 37 pounds in the process.

San Antonio, Texas resident Deshan Woods went on a 90-day diet in which he lost nearly 14 pounds. He documented the entire experiment on his website LiquidCalories.com. His overall health improved while sticking to a diet mainly in burgers and fries. He stayed away from sugary drinks and stuck to non-caloric beverages instead. His average caloric intake was 2,500 kilocalories a day, which included 130 grams of fat. His cholesterol dropped from 204 to around 160.

By way of comparison, the Starvation Study conducted at the University of Minnesota in 1944-45 used a starvation diet of approximately 1570 kilocalories a day on conscientious objectors for six months, causing an average 25% loss in body weight, simulating the loss of residents of the Warsaw Ghetto. The starvation study found for purposes of weight loss—and subsequent weight gain—it really did not matter what food one ate: what mattered was how many calories one ate. Of course, the focus of that study was not on blood chemistry, cholesterol, or liver function. We use this study at Green Mountain at Fox Run to demonstrate effects of semi-starvation, aka dieting: pre-occupation with food, rapid weight regain plus more once normal caloric intake restored, depression, short tempers, food hording, etc.

Professor James Painter, chair of Eastern Illinois University’s School of Family and Consumer Sciences, made the documentary Portion Size Me. The film follows two graduate students, one a 254-pound male and the other a 108-pound female, as they ate a fast-food diet for a month but in portions appropriate for their size. Both students lost weight and their cholesterol improved by the end of the experiment.[4]

It's easy to point a finger, Mr. Spurlock, until you realize that 3 fingers are pointing back at you.

Women's Health , McDonald's , SuperSize Me , Healthy Eating .

carolr3639
04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
That article was from a site called A Weight Lifted. I don't know much about it and this is the only thing I've read. I think I'll look into it a bit more.

carolr3639
04-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Fiddler, I use shrimp. I thought it was a seafood soup. Didn't know about the chicken. We first had it at a restaraunt in Beaverton, OR (Portland) and they also use crab with the shrimp. The place was called Thai Angel.

shananigans
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
That article about McDís was interesting, thanks for sharing. Of course itís all about calories in vs. calories out, and you can lose weight eating anything (including Big Macs) provided the ratio works out to more calories burned than consumed. These experiments seem to show that you can make healthier choices at McDís and lose weight/improve your health, but Iíd be more interested in finding out how many of your average McDís consumers actually do that. I have no idea, but Iím guessing itís not very many? I personally do not eat fast food at all (unless you count the occasional Subway sandwich) because I object to the way they do business all around and as a vegetarian that tries to stick to a whole foods and mostly vegan diet they have next to nothing I would want to eat, but I agree that itís not really fair to point our fingers at them and blame the fast food chains for the obesity epidemic. People make the choice to eat there, personal accountability seems to have fallen by the wayside and I think thatís really problematic for society in general.

carolr3639
04-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Our family is going on a ski trip to Colo. so it might be awhile before I can post again. Thanks.

Rock Chalk Chick
04-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Hello all - I'm new to these boards and finally stumbled onto the IE section!

I've been "interested" in IE for a couple years now, read every book on the subject I could get my hands on (was looking for anything other than the usual "lose weight - here's a structured diet" stuff!), but haven't really made a conscious effort to put things into play.

Over the last several weeks, I've been "trying" to lose weight the old way - restrict, rebel, indulge; repeat. It's not working for me. Over the last week I just tried to let go of all the rules and eat without obsessing over it (what a relief!) and yesterday I finally made the decision to eat mindfully and really assess my choices in an "IE" way. It felt amazing!

I packed my usual assortment of food (I already had the rule that I should eat something healthy when I felt hungry, and have food ready for that), and nibbled when I was hungry for my usual morning snack. I had an oatmeal bar and banana and went back to work... after about 15-20 minutes I realized I was still hungry. In the "diet" mentality, I would have told myself to shut up and deal with it - as it was, I sat for a minute and assessed whether I was really hungry, then grabbed a hardboiled egg and a yogurt, which brought me to satisfied. I wasn't too hungry for lunch when 1:00 rolled around, but I was fine with that - I didn't eat too much just because it was "lunchtime," and I felt pretty good through the rest of the day!

The biggest shock for me - my family was in town so we went out to dinner last night. I looked over the menu with the mentality that I could order whatever I wanted, whatever sounded good. In the past, I would have ordered either the grilled salmon as "diet food" or the fish-and-chips as "indulgence" without really considering what I actually wanted to eat. I weighed my options and decided the salmon sounded really good, better than the greasy fried fish (which tends to make me queasy) - and it was awesome! My brother ordered the fish-and-chips, and I would have been jealous through the meal if I was still thinking "diet" - but since I had the option to order it and decided against it, I didn't give it a second thought! I had a really delicious dinner, ate until I was satisfied, and left the place without feeling so stuffed that I needed to roll to my car!

I'm sure this is all old hat to most of you, but it's such a total relief and kind of a surprise that it's so easy! I fully realize I'll still have my ups and downs, and will still overeat on occasion - but I already feel better about eating healthy foods and leaving the rules behind! I think part of it is that I've been "practicing" for this for a couple years - reading and thinking about it, without actually putting it into action (because it would be "too hard"), so it's actually kind of shocking that it feels like a weight's been lifted instead of a new set of structure to follow. (And also surprising that I'm choosing wisely when giving myself free rein to eat whatever tempts me!)

Anyway, I realize this was kind of a long rambling post, but I wanted to share my minor victory with someone, and IE folks are the only ones who will really get it! I look forward to getting to know all of you!

carolr3639
04-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Bri, (I saw your blog), That sounds terrific! Welcome to IE. Hurrying off to Colo. now but see you in a week, Lord willing. Maybe I can use my son's laptop later.

Wiffle
04-08-2007, 07:35 PM
That article about McDís was interesting, thanks for sharing. Of course itís all about calories in vs. calories out, and you can lose weight eating anything (including Big Macs) provided the ratio works out to more calories burned than consumed. These experiments seem to show that you can make healthier choices at McDís and lose weight/improve your health, but Iíd be more interested in finding out how many of your average McDís consumers actually do that. I have no idea, but Iím guessing itís not very many? I personally do not eat fast food at all (unless you count the occasional Subway sandwich) because I object to the way they do business all around and as a vegetarian that tries to stick to a whole foods and mostly vegan diet they have next to nothing I would want to eat, but I agree that itís not really fair to point our fingers at them and blame the fast food chains for the obesity epidemic. People make the choice to eat there, personal accountability seems to have fallen by the wayside and I think thatís really problematic for society in general.

I'd have to agree with what you are saying here about eating the fast food. Morgan Spurlock ate irresponsibly and gained weight. But, I do think a lot of people eat irresponsibly.

Sure you can lose weight eating anything, if you are smart and sane about it.

So, can one "supersize" a salad meal at McDonalds? I haven't eaten there in ages. I think I had a snack wrap thing while on a road trip last year (ate while actually driving), but nothing like a whole meal. Well, I suppose I made the snack wrap thing a meal.

Taking a fatty meal and making it a bigger fatty meal because it is only a few cents more is a silly notion, but one that Americans certainly buy into!

Wiffle
04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Well, I weighed myself today. I was getting our scale out for something else and I looked at it for a while, and got on it.

It isn't good. I think I've been at the same weight since I started this, what, two years ago? Year and a half?

I know I haven't been doing the right things. I need to not use this as a license to do whatever. Not that I have done that all the time, but I guess enough to maintain this weight and not lose.

So perhaps I need to do a periodic weighing to keep on track. How often does everyone weigh here?

I suppose I should put it in my sig as well. Maybe.

Obsidianbbw
04-09-2007, 06:52 AM
I started out weighing once a month, than twice a month and now once every 2 weeks. The reason for increases were to see what happened before and after the TOM and if I was doing something wrong looking at the scale usually helped me stop.

Well, I weighed myself today. I was getting our scale out for something else and I looked at it for a while, and got on it.

It isn't good. I think I've been at the same weight since I started this, what, two years ago? Year and a half?

I know I haven't been doing the right things. I need to not use this as a license to do whatever. Not that I have done that all the time, but I guess enough to maintain this weight and not lose.

So perhaps I need to do a periodic weighing to keep on track. How often does everyone weigh here?

I suppose I should put it in my sig as well. Maybe.

Bikini Dreader
04-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm getting back on track since Easter has ended. I was reading a book about intuitive eating in Indigo and it had the different types of eaters listed at the beginning. Somehow I'm a mix of a few! I'm staying positive and will reach my goal! I hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to say hello.

ulapie
04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Hi there!
I'm so glad I found this! I've lost almost 60 pounds in the past year by counting calories, exercising and recording everything in Fitday. I was getting sick of being hungry all the time and noticed this book, "Intuitive Eating" on my shelf. I don't even know how it got there! I've bought a lot of diet books over the years, so it must have seemed like a good idea at some time. :)

Anyhoo, I finished reading it and have started trying to listen to my body's cues. It's been interesting! It's very difficult for me not to count calories after doing it for so long and to really just *feel* if I need to eat or not. It's almost impossible to tell if I'm hungry most the time or when I'm actually full. I'm so used to only eating if I'm starving or because I planned ahead to have x amount of calories at a given time.

Wow, I'm really glad I found a group of folks doing this! I had a friend I was counting calories with and I think it's one reason I was able to stick with it for so long. I was able to read through this thread today since I'm home with a bad cold. You all seem like a really cool group of people!

A little about me: I'm 27, from Seattle and have an office job. I've become kind of a fitness nut, but have had some injuries the past month, so I can't exercise outside of physical therapy. I'm really scared of regaining weight because I can't exercise and now I'm eating whatever I want. Unchartered territory!

Well, thanks for reading all this and I look forward to posting here, getting to know you all, etc. :) And using all these nifty little smileys! :dizzy:

Theresa

2frustrated
04-10-2007, 06:24 AM

Hello all! Had a good couple of IE days and a bad couple of IE days. But I think it will all balance out. The bad ones were because I was just so exhausted. We were travelling over the long bank holiday weekend and that just always tires me out. I think once I get back into the groove I'll be fine. I've got some of my Easter chocolate with me at work, so I don't risk going back into "diet" mode. :)

My jeans still fit, so it's all good.

Whoever asked about weighing - I just don't anymore. If I feel good, look good then that's all that matters.

I had a couple of depressing moments with clothes shopping over the weekend. I tried on this FAB dress in green jersey and it was cut really well for me, it had a funky back but it was about 1/2" too small :( They didn't DO a bigger size. I think the old me would've bought it and said, "I'll lose weight to get into it" but the new me thinks it isn't worth wasting the money because there's always plenty of clothes around that DO fit.

Then we went to Gap yesterday and I tried on some trousers and they were all too small. I tried on a size bigger than usual too! So in Gap I am a UK 18, but then we went to another shop and I bought shorts, jeans, vest and dress in my usual size and they are all a little baggy. So in that shop I am a UK 14 :rolleyes: How's a girl supposed to feel good about herself when in one shop you're bigger than their biggest size, in the next you're 2 sizes bigger than usual, but in another your usual size is just a little bit big. :dunno:

:yawn:

shananigans
04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Welcome ulapie!

2Fru – I have given up on trying to figure out clothing sizes. Each manufacturer seems to have their own individual guidelines. Makes me wonder what’s the point of having sizes at all?

I’m starting to weigh every day again. It’s safe for me to do because I don’t tend to obsess or freak out at the little fluctuations. Like today I weigh 2 pounds more than I did last Friday, but I know that’s due to all the high sodium food I ate yesterday and it’ll be back down after a couple days of eating my usual healthy foods and drinking plenty of water. It just helps me keep things in perspective, without that little check-in every morning it’s too easy for me to head into denial and eat whatever and as much as I possibly can.

Back on track today. Need to buy some groceries.

Bikini Dreader
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Today I only ate half of what i brought for my lunch and then just ate the second half a couple hours later! I was happy with that choice since i was satisfied with the first half at the time. I'm trying really hard to eat more small meals throughout the day. Last night I couldn't eat for a while and ended up eating past my full point when I was able to get to my kitchen. not good. Today is a new day though and I'm paying attention to my own hunger.

Obsidianbbw
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Well I finally have internet back at home. It would only be on from 12am - 6am and since my sleep clock was off I would be up, LOL. Funny thing I've been sick for about a week and missed three work out days. I will say that IE kept me from trying to get in a workout sick. Felt like my body needed to rest. I finally for in an hour today and don't feel any worse for it.

My weird eating kept up. I have been eating a foot long subway sandwich and either apple or orange juice and thats pretty much it all day. I was curious so I got on the scale and its down. So seems to be ok. Back to work tomorrow.

ulapie
04-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi y'all!
Well, I've been eating really unhealthy food today, but it's part of the adjustment, right? Did you all go through days at the beginning when you just ate a lot of nutritionally devoid food?? I'm only eating when I'm hungry and I'm not stuffing myself, so I guess I'm on the right track.

Obie, I'm sick too and I haven't wanted much food. Nothing really sounds good. When I do want something, it's been sweets. I went out and bought Top Ramen too! I think it's cause it's soup, it sounds good when you're ill. And it takes 3 minutes, which fits the bill when you're low energy.

Shananigans, I like to weigh myself every day too but I'm wondering if I should give that up. The IE book says to get rid of your scale because it's all part of the diet mentality. I don't want to give it up though! I feel like the scale motivates me to drink plenty of water, exercise and eat right. "Eating right" now means only when I'm hungry, so I don't think it's such a bad thing.

Theresa

Wiffle
04-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi and welcome, ulape!

Wow, you are abandoning the Fitday and calories, and I am just starting it.

I am not going to obsess over calories, but if I want to be in better shape I think I need to get a handle on what I am doing. I don't want to stay at this weight forever. So I packed my lunch for tomorrow with more than what I would normally eat, plugged it all into Fitday and whatever I don't eat I can just subtract back out when I get home.

Been going to Curves four days a week. I haven't been obsessing over that either but I really like it. I see the same faces there almost everyday. One girl is quite an inspiration and all she has been doing is Curves.

I don't feel I have a lot of writing in me. I'm tired and I don't feel that great.