100 lb. Club - Let's talk about the water again

View Full Version : Let's talk about the water again

GirlyGirlSebas
02-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Some say to drink, drink, drink...more is better. Some say you get all the fluids you need from your regular food and beverages. Some say you feel less hunger. Some say you lose weight quicker or easier when you drink lots of water. Some say drink when you're thirsty and don't worry about it because your body will tell you what you need.

I struggle with trying to drink more water and I wonder if its really worth the fight. What do you say? What is your personal experience with water? Has drinking more water actually improved your life or health in some tangible way?

mandalinn82
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Personally, and I stress that this is just my personal experience, I lose best and FEEL best when I drink a large quantity of water (3-5 L a day). This is WAY too much for most people, but I space it out over the day, and it really works for me. I feel more awake, I have better endurance in my workouts, and the scale moves much more quickly. It also makes me less susceptible to salt-bloating and water retention, which I despise. For me, it is absolutely key.

rockinrobin
02-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I drink an awful lot. At least 80 oz. a day. It keeps me full. It keeps me satisfied. And I firmly believe it helps me to lose weight. Science, studies, people - all will tell you different things. I've heard that it is essential to weightloss and I've heard (although a lot less) that it's not a major factor. I just know what works for ME. I drink a lot and I've been losing a lot. Somewhere in the middle of my journey I decided to increase my water intake and I believe that is one of the reasons I have yet to hit a plataeu. Could I be wrong? Yup. Am I? I really don't think so.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I too drink a lot of water. I don't drink anything else (2 cups of black coffee in the morning and a cup of hot green tea in the evening) I am sure I drink 80 -100 oz. a day. I have always been a water drinker though, so it isn't hard for me to do. And I (knock on wood) have had great losses every week consistently for the past 7 (will be 8 tomorrow!) weeks.

phantastica
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
I, too, believe that drinking water affects my weight loss drastically. At the very least, it makes you feel full and gives you something to do (rather than grab a candy bar from a vending machine). I think it affects my skin health and I also agree that it makes me feel more energetic but also sated. It also eliminates any water retention.

I aim for 64 ounces a day, minimum. I also drink milk on my cereal, coffee with milk for breakfast, tea in the evening. I have one 32-oz jug during the day at work, and one at home in the evening.

royalsfan1
02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
When I completely cut sodas (regular AND diet) out of my life I and switched to water I was shocked when I didn't lose weight. However, after reflection I think it is because I always used sodas as a snack...so when they were out I just switched to another unhealthy snack! DUH! However, I did notice that I retained less water. Now that I'm watching what I eat and scrutinizing everything that goes into my body I generally get about 100 oz of water a day. I almost never have my fingers swell...my wedding ring actually twirls again! I also have noticed improved skin, better sleeping, body temperature regulation, and lack of general irritability. HOWEVER, icewater does NOT make me feel full. It leaves a cold, heavy, empty feeling in my stomach. So I generally try and drink room temp water. It just goes down a lot easier for me.

Kae
02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I can't say much in the ways how it helps you. I am really on the opposite end of the spectrum. I hate drinking water and it used to get to the point that I would have maybe a glass a day, but not until I started to get a headache from being dehydrated. Lately to ease me into drinking more water I have been tricking myself with Crystal light. I can drink a pitcher easy. I like the iced tea flavors, but all are good. I drink them from the pitcher at home and use the TO-GO water bottle variety when I am at work. It helps. You may want to give it a shot.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I do better with my water room temperature too.

SeekingBliss
02-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm learning to drink water. I'm up to a liter a day. I found the easiest way to increase my water intake is make it easyto reach. i'm lazy so I keep a six pack of bottled water next to the couch. It's evian because I like it warm or cold and I like being naive backwards. (Yeah my friends think I'm pathetic since I've turned into a water snob. They love pointing out how evian is naive backwards.) Anyway since increasing my water I notice that I feel crummy when I don't drink enough. I didn't feel different when I was trying to increase it but I can tell now when I haven't had enough. I love Kae's ideas and drink however much you feel comfortable with. FYI drinking more water two days before giving blood makes it a much quicker easier process.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you for your responses. Some of you have lost a lot of weight....so, I'd be a fool not to incorporate the water into my plan like you all have done. :) So, here goes the water jug tomorrow. And, just think of the exercise I'll get going back and forth to the bathroom all day! :rofl:

Royalsfan - I hope I can see the swelling go down in my fingers, too. I havent been able to wear my wedding rings for almost a year now. Either my fingers have gotten too big because of the weight, or my hormone therapy has made my fingers swell. I can't really tell. I can't wait until I can put my rings back on again!

Angihas2
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
I drink 3 - 46 ounce bottles of water a day, so, 138 oz of water a day. During my recent stall, I realised I was down to maybe 20 ounces of water a day and more than 60 ounces of hot tea. Once I brought the water back in, I had an immediate 5 lb loss. WIll that happen for you? No idea. I know for me, water is a HUGE part of my weight loss. It also helps me control and regulate my hunger more easily. Alot of the time, I mistake hunger for thirst and snack, granted its apples, carrots, grapes etc, but its food when what I really need is water. Those are calories I could have avoided. I've also noticed a slide the last 2 days in water intake, and along with it, my calores went right back up. Some days, I'm really busy, away from home and just forget to bring my water, which is what happened today. So, I bought a 2/5 cases of water from Wal-Mart and they're stashed in my trunk again, normally something I wait for summer to do.

booklover
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Drinking lots of water has made a HUGE difference in my weight loss efforts. I lost 6 pounds the first two weeks of January just drinking 8 glasses of water a day and cutting out fast food. After that, I started the South Beach program and lost another 21 pounds.

Water fills me up, makes me feel better and definitely helps in the digestion. I substitute it for most beverages, aside from coffee, tea and the occasional diet soda. Before I realize it, I'm already halfway through my goal of 8 glasses of water a day.

There's no doubt in my mind that drinking water is instrumental in achieving weight loss.

shockingpurple
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Ronda,

Answering your question; I drink loads of water. From 3 to 4 litres a day. Truthfully I did not start drinking that much water until a few days back when a trainer told me that if I wanted to lose weight the best way was to keep hydrated and drink loads of water.

So I followed his advice and for me, it works. Seriously. Nowadays I tend to eat much less because I feel full and my lips tend not to dry up that fast (had a looong history of dried lips). The only bad thing about it is that I now have got cooked food in the fridge waiting to be eaten since I have not quite figured out how to cook smaller meals. :p

shockingp.

royalsfan1
02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Royalsfan - I hope I can see the swelling go down in my fingers, too. I havent been able to wear my wedding rings for almost a year now. Either my fingers have gotten too big because of the weight, or my hormone therapy has made my fingers swell. I can't really tell. I can't wait until I can put my rings back on again!

Rhonda - Isn't always the "little" things that seem the most exciting? I mean, it would only be someone who has ever been overweight who would understand how exciting it is to have a ring twirl! :) Here's to your rings fitting, SOON!:cheers:

Vamp
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I too drink a ton of water.. I'm only at week 2 for my weight loss journey so I don't really know if it affects me or not! I actually started drinking the water for an entirely different reason. For the longest time I was severly anemic and I had this overwhelming desire to chew ice. The water just kind of came along with it! Now that I'm taking a one a day vitamin (okay okay Flinstone's chewables with iron because I have a sensitive tummy) I no longer chew the ice.. Well.. not as much.. I still consume a bunch of water though! My only down side is that by the time I get home from work I don't want water anymore.. And since I don't drink milk and can't drink sodas or juice due to diabetes, I get stuck on what to drink. I did buy some V-8 though, helps with the craving to drink something other than water.

jtammy
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I drink a lot of water also. I'm not sure how much, I always have a big cup on my desk and I refill it several times a day. I haven't really compared my weight loss with or without water, but it makes me feel much more energetic, and I feel fuller when I drink enough water. If I don't drink enough water, I get the munchies; something I now recognize as really being thirsty.

SexyRevealed
02-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I've been averaging 2-3 L per day. It's all I drink, aside from green tea. Aside from any weight loss effects (and I do believe there are a ton), my skin is so much clearer and softer. I always keep my bottle filled, and just guzzle it throughout the day. The bathroom runs do slow down after a while.

lizziness
02-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle which I drink all of at work. Then I drink about the same amount when I come home. Seems to me I forget on the weekends to drink as much...I definitely feel the difference when I don't drink enough. I feel much better drinking water...

through out the day I usually have a mug of tea or coffee, the nalgene, another 32 oz, and most of the time a Sprite Zero too.

I find if I don't carry my water bottle around with me everywhere I go I'll just forget though.

Heather
02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't focus on water. I stay hydrated for sure, and try to make sure I get in enough fluids, but I'm not convinced that it has to be pure water all the time based on the research that's been done (link below).

Basically, if you love drinking water, I say keep doing it, but if you're like me and don't love to, you are probably getting in enough from what everything you eat and drink (do stay hydrated after exercise or in the heat). There is no solid research that demonstrates that we must drink at least 8 8 oz glasses of water a day.

Here's a link I give all the time to a great article that discusses research done on drinking water that was published in the American Journal of Physiology:
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/283/5/R993

Here's the abstract:
Despite the seemingly ubiquitous admonition to "drink at least eight 8-oz glasses of water a day" (with an accompanying reminder that beverages containing caffeine and alcohol do not count), rigorous proof for this counsel appears to be lacking. This review sought to find the origin of this advice (called "8 × 8" for short) and to examine the scientific evidence, if any, that might support it. The search included not only electronic modes but also a cursory examination of the older literature that is not covered in electronic databases and, most importantly and fruitfully, extensive consultation with several nutritionists who specialize in the field of thirst and drinking fluids. No scientific studies were found in support of 8 × 8. Rather, surveys of food and fluid intake on thousands of adults of both genders, analyses of which have been published in peer-reviewed journals, strongly suggest that such large amounts are not needed because the surveyed persons were presumably healthy and certainly not overtly ill. This conclusion is supported by published studies showing that caffeinated drinks (and, to a lesser extent, mild alcoholic beverages like beer in moderation) may indeed be counted toward the daily total, as well as by the large body of published experiments that attest to the precision and effectiveness of the osmoregulatory system for maintaining water balance. It is to be emphasized that the conclusion is limited to healthy adults in a temperate climate leading a largely sedentary existence, precisely the population and conditions that the "at least" in 8 × 8 refers to. Equally to be emphasized, lest the message of this review be misconstrued, is the fact (based on published evidence) that large intakes of fluid, equal to and greater than 8 × 8, are advisable for the treatment or prevention of some diseases and certainly are called for under special circumstances, such as vigorous work and exercise, especially in hot climates. Since it is difficult or impossible to prove a negativein this instance, the absence of scientific literature supporting the 8 × 8 recommendationthe author invites communications from readers who are aware of pertinent publications

RitzyFritz
02-23-2007, 01:18 AM
I too have to have my water at room temp (no ice, ever). But, I will have to say that water makes me nauseated. Really! Especially if I drink it on an empty stomach. I do okay when I drink with my meals (which there is controversy over as well!), but just to drink it all day - it really does make me sick to my stomach. This has been life long so I know that it isn't the water in my town. Of course, most cities put chlorine in it nowadays so that very well could be what I'm sensitive to.

I will mention this - when I was following a program a few years back, one of the directors told me that ALL water counts - in your food, decaf tea, green tea, etc. So, don't think you have to get in 64 ounces IN ADDITION to all the other. That leads to water intoxication - which we are all aware of since it was recently in the news.

boaterswife
02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I probably end up drinking about 70 oz per day, or so. I've never tried to lose weight without the water, but there are some changes that I feel are directly related to the water consumption.

1. Fatigue. I was tired all the time. As soon as I started drinking a lot of water, before I had begun actually losing weight, the fatigue was greatly reduced.

2. Swelling. I broke my ankle about 4 years ago, and even after it was healed, it was swelled most of the time. In the morning when I would get out of bed it was only swollen slightly, but it was enough that I could see the difference between my two ankles. And by evening, you couldn't miss the swelling, it was drastic. The doctors told me it was a side effect of having broken it, and it would probably always be that way. That's a bunch of hooey. Since I started drinking the water, the swelling went away, completely, and hasn't returned, even if I have a day where I'm on my feet the whole time.

3. It fills me up! I didn't realize in the past how many times I grabbed a snack because I thought I was hungry. Turns out, most of those times I was probably just thirsty. If I think I need a snack, I always drink some water first to see if it's my body telling me I'm thirsty.

I say drink the water if you can!

Mrs Quadcrew
02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Yep - I agree with Boaterswife. I swell up something awful and bloat if I DON'T have it. We travel a lot and I try to limit the water when we are driving, and by days end my hands and feet are horribly swollen. (and that is with stopping every couple of hours and moving around - so that isn't the reason)

I do not look for a certain amount to drink, I am just ALWAYS driniking it! I never thought to even add it up until I read this post.

I have a day care and I forewarn all parents when they start here that there are no juices made available, the kids will get water if they are thirsty and milk with their food. All the kids grow up with it and I hope that it will be a lifelong thing with them that water is good!

LakeGirl
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Since we are talking water, please let me ask this....were any of you water drinkers ever non-water drinkers and if so, how did you get yourself to the point of liking the stuff?

It is not something I like nor crave. I drink a lot of diet green tea and generally a cup of coffee in the am and an occasional diet soda (not everyday) but water is just one I have not yet worked out for myself and I know I need to!

Heather
02-23-2007, 11:20 PM
It is not something I like nor crave. I drink a lot of diet green tea and generally a cup of coffee in the am and an occasional diet soda (not everyday) but water is just one I have not yet worked out for myself and I know I need to!

From the reading I've done (see the link I provided earlier in the thread), if you are drinking a lot of other beverages, then you are fine in terms of hydration and do not need to worry about adding water too. Tea is an excellent choice, and in some ways may be better than pure water (because of the antioxidant properties in the tea).

Angihas2
02-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I love green teas. Alot, which is good since my spouse is Half Japanese, his entire family lives on the stuff, and lemme say, they look fantastic for their ages!! They also drink alot of hot water, with lemon. Usually after a meal, they claim it aids in digestion etc. In the 5 yrs or so I've known his family, I've also picked up the habit. Basically, boil water as you would for tea, but serve it plain with a few citrus slices floating on top. I now consider this a treat, lol. As far as green tea, we use authentic leaves, imported from Japan, once a month we get a care package from his great grandma, 97 years young and STILL going strong, every day she runs her 99 pound body, 15 miles and does pilates and yoga, I so want to be her when I grow up.

As far as getting use to drinking water, I've always been a water drinker, my youngest brother, who is 16, half my age, I raised for his first 5 yrs, he's a water drinker now, as are my own kids. I did get away from water for a long time, then slowly started drinking more and more of it. I add citrus slices to a 46 ounce bottle, and let it marinate overnight, it gives it a bit of flavor. In the summer time, I'll make drinks with water, again in my 46 ounce Juicy Juice containers slicing citrus, pineapples etc in and add 1-2 packets of splenda and let it marinate overnight. Be careful doing that, don't use real sugar and let it sit to long, you'll wind up a little loopy from the *wine* it makes, apparently, that CAN ferment enough.

soon to be thin
02-23-2007, 11:55 PM
I try to make sure I drink 1/2 my weight in ounces of water so basically around 115 ozs a day. or 3.5 Litres. If I workout hard I drink a bit more. Since doing this I don't seem to get bloated or retain water.(nice bonus) I have a big bladder so I am not going to the bathroom like I was in the beginning, your body adjusts.

My skin looks healthy and radiant, and it has kicked my weight loss into high gear. I have lost 31 pounds so far and when I don't get my water in the scale does not tend to move the next day.

You have read the advice and it is overwhelmingly in favour of high water consumption, but in the end you have to commit to it and do it or make a different choice for yourself.

Good Luck

LakeGirl
02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
From the reading I've done (see the link I provided earlier in the thread), if you are drinking a lot of other beverages, then you are fine in terms of hydration and do not need to worry about adding water too. Tea is an excellent choice, and in some ways may be better than pure water (because of the antioxidant properties in the tea).

Holy crap, you just made my evening! I love the diet green tea and can easily drink two gallons a week!

grannyjc
02-24-2007, 12:13 AM
concerning drinking water, I know I should but I have never drank much water. I have diabeties, which is another reason I should drink lots of water.I think it is one of the reasons I am not losing weight fast enough. I am really going to have to keep a bottle with me all the time and drink all day long. I am going to start tomorrow. Joyce

royalsfan1
02-24-2007, 09:58 AM
LakeGirl- I never used to drink water - never - and now it's about all I drink. I made it happen by finding a water bottle with a straw...so I drink a lot without even realizing it. Also, I drink it room temperature. I don't like it when it's too cold. Sometimes it is still tough, though. When we're eating Mexican food...I really want a soda! I just switched my attitude to realize that "taste" comes from food and drinking (for me) is merely for hydration. I don't know why but that's what it took for me.

jtammy
02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
I've always like to drink water, although I used to drink diet sodas with almost all meals instead of water. Even though I liked it, I didn't used to drink enough water. I would eat instead.

I don't like my water as cold as I used to, because I stay so cold since I lost weight.

djs06
02-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I drink about 80 oz as well... i'm trying to get in a little bit more.

I have a 48 oz plastic bottle that I keep at work. Sometimes I drink it in an hour, other times I sip at it over a few hours. I've replaced having a few cups of coffee with half and half, and drink warm water instead. I'll have on cup of coffee in the morning and then either tea without milk or hot water. At first it was by accident, but it's nice!

Then I drink another 40 oz or so when I work out... and sometimes a few cups before bed, it helps me feel less bloated in the morning.

TempleBody
02-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I love, love, love to drink water. I feel so good when I drink around 3 litres a day. I'm very susceptible to constipation if I don't drink atleast 2 litres a day (and that's because I eat a high fiber diet and a high fiber diet w/o water is a disaster). I'm still breastfeeding my 10month old also.

My only problem is I hate using the washroom in public places so I tend not to drink enough when I go out.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I always have a couple of bottled waters in my car, and if I know I am going out, I carry one in my purse too! I am literally never far from a drink of water!:D