LA Weight Loss - 20/20 story rant!

View Full Version : 20/20 story rant!

Dan2112
02-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Ok.. I've been stewing about this for a couple of days and have been lighting up the message ABC message board about the hack reporting job that was done on LAWL last week on 20/20..

If you haven't seen the story, go here:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/

The forum is here:

http://forums.go.com/abcnews/2020/forum?start=0&forumID=14&byThread=true

What really cheeses me off about this is the lack of integrity displayed by the so-called reporter.. She went into the story with an agenda - to sniff out a scam.. And of course, she found a way to do just that.. Anyone with no media experience would have seen this story and would have been convinced that LAWL Centers are a hot bed of evil and villany..

NO attempt was made to show the other side of the story, other than the usual "LAWL officials had little or no comment" - a fact that I wholeheartedly blame LAWL for allowing to happen.. A company this big needs to have a compentent public relations staff that knows how to handle what we call "Crisis Communication".. When you are attacked, the WORST thing you can do is issue a cookie cutter statement about how good you are or even worse, say "no comment"...

That said, even if they had a decent PR staff, I doubt the reporter, if I can really call her that, would have cared to do the research on how the plan really works.

All she did was fake her way onto the plan and then didn't even give it a chance to work. Add that to the handful of disgruntled employees who always have the loudest voices, and you've got a ready made story.

The fact is that yes, there are some LAWL employees who excell in the "hard sell" and are able to exploit it. Ever buy a car? Geez.. If we all acted like this about car salesmen, none of us would be driving! And yes, there are LAWL staff who don't know the job as well as they should and who are not "people persons" and thus, probably shouldn't be working there.. NAME ME ONE FREAKIN' COMPANY THAT DOESN'T.!!!!

If you don't go into LAWL realizing that of course, they are going to try to sell you a bunch of stuff, then you really should have done your homework. It's a business.. They can't make any money by not selling stuff..

I know some of you here have had bad or mixed experiences with LAWL COD's, and I'm not putting any blame on you.. What I'm really pizzed off about is how one-sided and blatently unethical this reporter was.. It's crap like this that really got me out of the news business.. I couldn't stand the biased, kill or be killed attitude that we had to have..

Sorry to vent, but I really am upset about this.. If you read the ABC message boards, you can probably figure out who I am, but if not, my handle there is djmarillion..

bizlawchik
02-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Dan - I can't even read the message boards because of all the crap on there. It seems that many of the ones complaining are those that did not take responsibility for their own situation. You need to be an active participant in your weight loss. Period. Sitting around relying on someone else to give you all the answers won't help you in the long run. These are the same people that probably blame their weight gain on someone else as well.

IF YOU DON'T GET THE ANSWER YOU WANT OR THE EXPLANATION YOU NEED, PRESS THEM FURTHER OR GO HIGHER UP. THIS IS YOUR BODY AND YOUR LIFE. DO NOT SETTLE FOR SECOND BEST. BE AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT IN YOUR LIFE'S CIRCUMSTANCES, WHETHER IT BE WEIGHT LOSS OR OTHERWISE.

Mama Nicole
02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Dan........I am with you. I mentioned this on the losers thread the other day.........I think we should all e-mail them with our thoughts.....good or bad........and maybe they will fly us all out and we can have our little LAWL re-union sooner. Wouldn't that be fun? I'll make cake.

bizlawchik
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Nicole you are too funny!

KrispieD
02-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I already noted Oprah a month back and told her what a great group of people we were, that we had lost weight with the help of each other and that is was ironic none of us had met. I suggested a makeover show and a reunion but they haven't called yet! Just so you knew I was thinking of you all!

Dan2112
02-21-2007, 04:31 PM
^^ Well, don't forget us Roosters when she calls.. She'll need to have a man's perspective!

Makena
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
LOL..... great ideal guys! :D

Mama Nicole
02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
oh, heck yeah, and I'll make cake :)

dolphn545
02-21-2007, 05:10 PM
oh, heck yeah, and I'll make cake :)

:rofl:
I hope that will be SF FF cake! :)

KrispieD
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
I'd like chocolate.. LAWL style of course!! With little flowers on it.. or in Green Bay Colors.. get baking Mama!

marzbe
02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe an ice cream cake made with lites and FF/no Sugar added ice cream!

As for the 20/20 story, the way they were hyping it I was expecting a story a lot longer than 7 minutes! We know it's working for us, and we all did our research before coughing up the cash!

This months Marie Claire had a story in about how Weight Watcher's is being sued for false advertising. Their return rate in England is 97%, yet you barely hear any negative about them! http://magazines.ivillage.com/marieclaire/print/0,,708162,00.html

aphil
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with this. Susie's book is about Intuitive Eating-which is where a person throws all diets and plans out the window...

The book is called something like "Susie Orbach on Eating" or something like that...

DenverChick
02-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Dan,

I emailed 20/20 a few days ago after I saw the piece and basically said the same thing you have. That it was an entirely one-sided expose' that made no effort to find a succesful participant in LAWL. Jeez, they could have even interviewed the women noted in the recent People magazine article that have lost weight on LAWL. I just thought it was a biased hack piece and I'm sad for the people who were seriously considering LAWL as an option who will look not further.

donisha81
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I talked to one of the District Managers at the COD Megan and I go to. She said that it was really unfair because the store that the "reporter" went to was a Franchise store, not a corporate store. She said that they have the same names, but work differently. She stated that corporate was trying to make a rebutle to the claims as LAWL as a whole, but for some reason or another could not. Well I am one to say I have lost each time I have been on this diet, and what is the difference between me losing in a healthy way opposed to getting lipo or something like that. It's crazy to me!

Repo girl
02-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I already noted Oprah a month back and told her what a great group of people we were, that we had lost weight with the help of each other and that is was ironic none of us had met. I suggested a makeover show and a reunion but they haven't called yet! Just so you knew I was thinking of you all!

Haha, Kristin, how funny. I did the same thing with Oprah about 6 months ago! Maybe a few other should too and we would get their attention!

bizlawchik
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
OK... I did it too. E-mailed Oprah, that is. I don't know how eloquent it was, though. Hey... maybe we should send something like this to Ellen and Rachael Ray too!

SandyG28
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Ohhh Rachael Ray...she's so funny! I love her and Ellen!

As for the 20/20 piece, I went to the website and watched it last night. Very one sided. You can't be talked into anything unless you're open to it. Yesterday I went to WI and they had a slip of paper in my file saying I could bulk up on bars again at a 'reduced' price. I said no thanks at this point, and that was that. No pressure, no push. I don't know if my center is the exception or the rule in this regard, but I have found them to be helpful, educated, professional and supportive. Of course they try to sell once in a while - they are a business. I walked in there knowing that! So they are the business and I am the consumer. We'll get along just fine if we both know our rights and behave respectfully to each other. That's how it's worked for me so far.

And if the woman interviewed gained 12 lbs by the end of the program, then she wasn't following it. The only times I gain are when I make choices that are not right for me!

Dan2112
02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
^^ Exactly.. But human nature is to find other things to blame besides ourselves.. So the diet wasn't working? Well.. It can't be my fault.. It must be a scam!!!

God.. Some of the people on that message board are pathetic..

aphil
02-22-2007, 09:55 AM
donisha-

I have a question to ask...if I may. :)

There are the LAWL corporate stores, and there are the franchise ones-same company, but the franchise ones are allowed to be more lax, because an individual owner is in charge, rather than corporate LAWL, correct? Why doesn't LAWL have stricter rules and regulations governing their franchise stores? It seems that would save a lot of grief, and the "bad centers" wouldn't be allowed to do what they do to some of their customers.

This is just going by what I have read over the years moderating in here-that the franchise centers tend to be a lot "worse" compared to the non-franchise centers...

It seems like that would be the "ideal" solution...to not franchise out without regulations that would provide better customer support and more consistency between this center and that one...

Did that make sense? :?: :lol:

bizlawchik
02-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Amen, Aphil!

donisha81
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Aphil, you have an excellent point, unfortunately I am not sure why they do not tighten the guidelines for their franchises. I mean I would think if you were going to share the same name, you would want your name to be thought of in a positive light. I will ask her that the next time I go in there, because I was wondering that myself.

katiebug77
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I asked my COD about why the fracnise facilities and coporate ones have different information, and they really didn't have an answer for me. It is pretty sad that there are some big inconsistencies. Luckily, I go to a corporate center and the girls are really on top of getting the latest info!!

mamato2girls
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I go to a franchise center, but luckily, it's a decent one. There are about 9 stores in the area that are part of the same franchise. I am not happy that we still don't have the plan updates from last year yet, but I am happy that they still view the LA Lites as optional. Granted, they give you a hard sell in the beginning, but they DON'T try to make you cry. And, during the time that I was trying out the diet without the Lites, they were still very supportive during that time. Also, they have never tried to push any of the other foods or supplements on me either. The only time they suggested I try one of their other foods was when I wasn't using the Lites and was having bad chocolate cravings. The manager asked if I'd like to try the biscotti. And, at $6 per box, she couldn't have made too much commission on that!!

hdsqrl
02-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, that whole "if they cry.." thing made me sick. Our COD people are always happy and celebratory when they talk to us (sometimes a little too much, haha) - they never try to make us feel bad so that we'll buy things from them. They just try to get us all excited about this new thing or that new thing (to which if we say No, they let it go.) I hated the 20/20 thing, too.

donisha81
02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Boooooo 20/20!!!

hdsqrl
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey, Donisha, you need a new picture for your avatar - you are SO much skinnier now!!! :D

Repo girl
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with Aphil on this. My center is a corporate center, and they are not high pressure sales at all. Ever. Down with the franchise!

The best ME I can be
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
My Center is corporate and I couldn't love those ladies (and one great guy) more! Going there feels like going to visit friends... I walk in the door and everyone's like "oh look, it's Kim." and I feel really welcome. I never thought I would EVER get on the scale in front of anyone, but I feel totally ok with it there. Everyone at my center is on the program too, so we exchange little tips and tricks too. Just goes to show that you can't trust the media!

NCRed
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I love the COD that I go to. They are considerate, they offer but don't push. Heck, my doctor doesn't listen to me the way they have. They are happy for me with every tiny little improvement I have and offer good suggestions on how to make it better. I have absolutely no complaints. I wish they had talked to me. But who wants to hear good stuff? It's so much more sensational to hear scandal.

mamato2girls
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Not sure if I'd say "down with the franchise" as a blanket statement. If it weren't for the franchise centers, I wouldn't be able to even do LAWL. Closest corporate center is 2 hours away for me. I do agree that corporate should be more involved with the franchise centers and keep better controls on them.

Suzanne 3FC
02-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Just curious - Does anyone know what percentage of LAWL centers are franchises compared to corporate owned centers?

Wendelina
02-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I just read an article that said that 350 are Corporate centers.. the rest are franchise centers.