Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #1  

Default Does anyone get slightly sick during exercise?

Hiya,

Have a bit of a problem. Hopefully someone knows what is wrong and can tell me how to avoid it. Wait, I haven't even told you guys about the problem yet.

See, I went to the gym for the first time in ages and was doing some light weights after cardio. I have been at it (exercising I mean) for about 30 minutes. Anyways, all the sudden I just felt really odd. Like stomach rolling and a bit of a cold sweat. Then I just felt...sick. Let's just say I had to talk to Mr. Toilet really briefly.

But after that I felt fine and was able to do some stretching to finish up.

Right now I am just wondering what caused it. Did I not eat enough for breakfast an hour before hitting the gym? Or is that normal for someone who just started working out after a long period of bumming around?

Anyone has any ideas? Please? Help?

shockingp
shockingpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Whwn I first started exercising I felt sick and nearly threw up more than a few times but I pushed threw it. When I up my exercixe I get like this also.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #3  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

I've been known to feel like I was going to throw up during exercise more than once. It usually just passes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockingpurple View Post
Hiya,

Anyways, all the sudden I just felt really odd. Like stomach rolling and a bit of a cold sweat. Then I just felt...sick. Let's just say I had to talk to Mr. Toilet really briefly.

shockingp
Ah, not to be indelicate or anything but was the visit to Mr. T um, to throw up or for the other end? Again, not to get too personal, but I find that when I am on program and exercising (5 days/wk) I, um, usually visit Mr. T more than once a day, if you know what I mean. Doing weights usually makes this process at least a twice daily activity. I've always assumed that exercising enhanced the process of my body getting rid of excess waste/water.

Did you drink coffee on an empty stomach in the morning? Coffee is a drug (yeah!) and a stimulant. If you drink it on am empty stomach it will, ah let's say -- get things moving. Fiber, schmiber! Just drink a cup of joe every a.m. and things should be just dandy.

It's also possible that whatever you did eat b/4 working out just didn't sit quite right w/you or that maybe you were a little just revved up about working out again and your system just responded naturally to that particular feeling.

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #4  

*lol* Nah, nothing indelicate about asking. The visit to Mr. T was to throw up. More like dry heaving really.

Um..I had green tea and grapes for breakfast about an hour before hitting the gym. Maybe it was a wrong combo for my stomach? Can't drink coffee. The caffine makes me bounce off walls, literally.

But yeah I know exactly what you mean by err...visiting Mr T. for...err the other end. Exercising and diet change really empties the bowels. Ookay...did I just reach the personal limit or the gross factor?

shockingp
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #5  

sometimes i get a little nauseaous
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #6  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I wonder if you had enough breakfast.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #7  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockingpurple View Post
*lol* Um..I had green tea and grapes for breakfast about an hour before hitting the gym. Maybe it was a wrong combo for my stomach? Can't drink coffee. The caffine makes me bounce off walls, literally.

But yeah I know exactly what you mean by err...visiting Mr T. for...err the other end. Exercising and diet change really empties the bowels. Ookay...did I just reach the personal limit or the gross factor?

shockingp
I don't think there's anything that can't be asked or talked about on these threads No gross factor is too gross!!

Maybe you could try a little protein in addition to the tea and grapes? I have exercised on both an empty (except for that coffee ) stomach and also after eating lightly. Sometimes just the intensity of a particular workout will monkey w/my stomach; other times -- nothing! If I ever figure it all out, I'm gonna write a book!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockingpurple
Um..I had green tea and grapes for breakfast about an hour before hitting the gym. Maybe it was a wrong combo for my stomach? Can't drink coffee. The caffine makes me bounce off walls, literally.
Maybe it was the wrong combination but I think that you didn't have enough to eat... Just grapes? You may have had too many grapes, but the fact that you say it was dry heaves indicates, in my mind anyways, that you didn't have enough to eat. As another poster said you should have some kind of protein I would also suggest some oatmeal which would stick to your ribs for a longer period of time and nourish and give you more energy for your workout.

Did you drink enough water before and during your workout?

Also, sometimes, when you have been a couch potato for a while, and suddenly you workout hard, you can and will get sick. Look what happens to the Biggest Loser contestants the first time they workout, they and , it's a shock to their poor bodies to say the least...

My suggestion would be to try to eat a bit more before you workout with good quality food and then take it easier till you get used to working out...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #9  

Hey guys,

thanks for your advice! I have got wonderful news. I tried eating a bit more brekkie before going to the gym yesterday aka had some toast, took it a little easier while exercising and guess what? No visiting Mr Toilet needed. No feeling sick either! Just the good ol' muscle soreness that comes with working em' muscles.

The ultimate test will be on Saturday when I hit the weights again though. Am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Will keep you posted on what happens. You guys are wonderfully supportive! Thanks again!

shockingp.