Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Still Struggling

Okay, so as you all have maybe noticed I have been having some difficulty staying on track. The trend has continued...sigh... I am scared to death that I am losing my grip on the 150s. I haven't spent this long in the 160s since I dropped down into them over a year ago. I just don't know what has happened to my focus. I have found myself buying things and bringing into the house stuff that I KNOW will be a problem for me! My workouts have been slacking and the sugar...omg...the sugar and carbs I have recently been consuming is borderline criminal! I have felt lightheaded and whoozy from it (I think) and still haven't been able to stop myself. This morning has been so far so good...(fingers crossed) I just really wish I knew what is happening to me. I have come too far and done this for too long to lose it all now. I am 17 pds from having a normal bmi...I haven't had a normal bmi in over 16 years! I am so close! And I was even closer last year! I am just so frustrated. Sigh. Well, I guess I will just keep fighting...I can't give up...I hope you Chickies are all doing better than me lately!
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #2  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Speaking for myself:

Sugar is a drug. When I use it, I became a different person. Period.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #3  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

You've got to stay away from the sugar, sweetie. I am with girl81, I simply cannot be trusted around it. I am home today with a personal day due to some hit and runner doing some major damage to my car this past weekend; lots of fun auto body and insurance stuff to deal with. I have been staying POP, BUT I had to do something crazy this am to do so.

::deep breath::

I forced my boyfriend to take his ice cream to work today and put it in their freezer, hidden in a plastic bag. Poor thing. He laughed and was fine with it, but I just knew that if I didn't do that, I would either eat it or have to destroy it by flushing it down the toilet.

Hey-at least I let him have it at this point, so that's a step in the right direction. I can keep from eating it while he is here (he's my rock ) but I just cannot trust myself alone.

We all struggle, and we all must make tough choices. I know for me, I keep myself from buying junk to binge on by, well, beating myself up mentally. I force myself to picture me binging in the bathroom or while my boyfriend sleeps or shaves or whatever, and I force myself to be disgusted by me. Tough love isn't for all, but I am fine with giving myself tough love, you know?

Good luck, girl. You can do this, you just have to think you can.
JaimePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #4  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Jamie,
smart move girl!
I don't think it sounds crazy at all. would a crack addict allow cocaine in their house?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #5  
Babysteps

S/C/G: 174/144.8/130

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I can definitely relate to everything you all are saying, and as a brand new member, I am so relieved that I am not the only one who struggles with bingeing. Anyway, I am 23, and have been losing weight slowly for about the past 2 years. I have dropped quite a bit of weight (10-15 pounds or so?) since November 2006, and I did it by making the decision to get all of the processed junk out of the house (especially the sugary stuff!), and running. About a month ago, I guess I was feeling kind of cocky, because I hadn't binged in several months, was losing weight, getting lots of compliments, and felt that I had put this bingeing thing behind me (yeah right, not that easy!)...so, I started thinking I could trust myself with a few of my favorite treats, and well, we all know what happens after that.
Had I not found this forum, I may have thrown in the towel as I did in the past, but I truly want to learn how to manage this problem and be happy in my body. So far, I have put on about 3-5 pounds (it would have been more but I was determined to keep exercising no matter what), and would also appreciate the support of this group.
Raven, I would say that the single most important piece of advice I have gotten (from my mom who also struggles with bingeing) is to make a commitment to exercise no matter what goes in your mouth. The benefit of this is two-fold; you will offset some of the calories you consume from bingeing (though admittedly not much), and you will also likely be motivated to eat a balanced diet to fuel your workouts (it's no fun running for an hour after a binge, I know from first hand experience!) I have found that just making this promise to myself has helped me get back on the horse multiple times, and helps me avoid falling into the awful cycle of bingeing, getting mad at myself, not exercising, then feeling more depressed because I am bingeing AND missing workouts. At least if you can keep up the exercise, you are winning half the battle.
Sorry so long, but I really can relate to exactly where you are, and think that a place like this is what will help us pull ourselves out of the hole and get back to being good to ourselves. Take care!
meg on a mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #6  
Bringin' Sexy Back

First I have to say how wonderful you all are and how happy I am to have a place like this where I can vent about these things. I have had eating issues since I was a kid. Ice cream...cookies...anything that I could get my hands on, the thing was, I was pretty active usually and it didn't get too far out of hand. I gained quite alot of weight when I was pregnant and then didn't really lose too much of it. I had my epiphany moment in 2001 after a photo...(like alot of people I have read about) and started to lose weight. I don't feel huge anymore but still not where I want to be. There seems to be the problem...complacency...then emotional eating...boredom eating...and trigger food linked binges. It just seems to have been worse lately. And, I am nursing a knee injury so I can't do Tae Bo and kickboxing which I love so much. I really really miss it. I have been doing the elliptical and the treadmill...they are fine...I like them too but I just miss the Tae Bo so much! Hopefully I will be able to go back to it soon. Today was a good day food wise. Nothing out of control. I had errands to run and a bad sleep night so I didn't get my workout in but I went on a good hike yesterday and am still feeling it so I think I will be okay. I plan to hit the elliptical first thing in the morning. I bought 3 packs of strong cinnamon gum today and I plan to use it when I am preparing dinner and other times I want to put something in my mouth. I plan to limit my sugar as much as humanly possible! And I am going to take the wise advice here and get my workouts in no matter what I am doing eating wise. I hope that I am coming out the end of the tunnel now...I will keep you all posted...thank you for listening to my babble...

Last edited by Ravengirl; 02-20-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #7  
Groovin 4 a small planet

How's everyone here doing? Just thought I would bump to check up...

Friday nights are always hard for me. I used to go out for beer and wings every Friday; ugh, I miss it!!! Right now I am having celery sticks and homemade hummus with H20. Wooo-hooo, huh?

Have a great night, all!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #8  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Hey there Jaime!

I can't speak for anyone else but I am doing good! I saw 159 this morning and then it waivered to 159.5 but Fridays are my official weigh in so I just peek at it to see how it's going. I haven't had a binge since last weekend...my mood has been good...food has been good...and exercise has been right on track. Hopefully I can keep this momentum going.

I like wings too...haven't had any in a really long time...beer...eh...not so much...give me wine, Disarrono, or Margaritas...hehehe Anyway! Hope you are enjoying your hummus! You are doing great!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #9  
Babysteps

Hi Jaime and Raven!
I too am doing great...just finished my 4th binge-free day after a month of doing it 3-4 times per week. I gained about 5 pounds from it, but today when I weighed in, I had dropped a pound from last Saturday...so we're making progress in the right direction! Eating has been great, exercise too. I'm feeling positive, and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I can come here and get motivation and support whenever I need it. I love it here!
I hope you all have a great end to your weekend, and keep up the GREAT work!!
Old 02-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #10  
Groovin 4 a small planet

Good work! I am amazed, I have gone over 4 weeks binge free. HUGE hurdle for me. She's in there though; she never leaves, if you know what I mean. I think being on South Beach and curbing my carb/sugar cravings is what helps, but like I said, I have to be so careful because anything could set me off. I have to go to the grocery store alone today, so I will need to stay away from certain aisles.

Have a wonderful Sunday!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #11  
Babysteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimePhan View Post
She's in there though; she never leaves, if you know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean! I sometimes wonder if there will ever be a time when she does leave, for good. I do notice MAJOR differences in the right direction in terms of my relationship with food, but I would love to put this in my past at some point. What do you guys think...can this ever be totally conquered? I don't know, I sometimes think of this food addiction as very similar to a recovering drug addict or alcoholic. It's a lifelong conscious effort to avoid triggers and relapses.

Anyway, GREAT job on your 4 binge-free weeks Jaime! I have sworn off bingeing for Lent, so hopefully that will help me feel more accountable, and keep me binge-free for several weeks...I know it can be done, I have done it before, it just takes the right mindset! Have a great day everyone!