Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #1  

Default Meals for the week

I am doing my weekly plan now, Tuesday -> Monday and have came up with the following meals any opinions? Most of the ideas are from ediets so correct portion sizes will be used.

Lunch: 300 cals
Dinner: 500 cals

Tues:
WW Tomato soup, 2 slices wholemeal bread
Chicken Risotto

Weds:
Chicken Sandwich, 2 slices wholemeal bread, 1 tsp WW mayonnaise
Chicken, veg, boiled potatoes

Thurs:
Chicken Sandwich (as above)
Tesco HL Chicken Lasange + Boiled potatoes

Fri:
Chicken noodles and piece of fish
Tesco HL Beef Lasange

Sat:
Egg sandwich
Tuna with tomatoes and pasta

Sun:
Tuna mayo with boiled potatoes and salad
Prawn pasta salad

Mon:
Prawn Cocktail
Chicken and pasta salad.

The only thing I am worried about is that theres lots of mayo and bread but its all under the calorie allowance for the meal so does it really matter? I do have 400 calories of snacks everyday and a 200 calorie breakfast, (just so you dont think I am just having 800cals a day)
KarieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I know what you mean about a lot of bread. I did sandwiches a couple days for lunch last week and even though it is ww bread, the calories seem high (lunch came in at 400+ calories when I'm used to less than 300).

My menu for the past couple of weeks has been Italian and therefore kind of high in the pasta arena. I get ww pasta, but still.....All my menu ideas come from Cooking Light and I usually get my calories like this:
B~200
S~100
L~300
S~100
D~400-500
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Allinell, my breakdown of calories are identical to yours. Identical.

A typical day:

Breakfast - 1/2 cup fiber one and 1/2 cup Kashi go lean with 1/2 cup skim milk (about 175 cals)
Snack - Danon fat free/sugar free yogurt with a tbs. fiber one cereal for crunch (about 75 cals)
L - Morningstar Farms Chick pattie or Morningstar Farms Spicy Bean burger with lots of steamed cauliflower and green beans (about 250)
Snack - jello sugar free pudding with a squirt of fat free whipped cream (about 75 cals)
Dinner - chicken breast with lots of veggies (stir fry) about 400 calories
Snack (only sometimes) - a few baby carrots with a dollop of hummus

I really have poor, poor control with bread and pasta and I steer clear of it. I like really good crusty bread and the 40 calorie bread just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe instead of a chicken sandwich you would prefer a salad with the chicken cut up into it. Maybe instead of potatoes you could eat more veggies. The most important thing is and only you can know this. Is this a menu that will satisfy you, both hunger wise and taste wise? Because that's really what's important. Sticking to it. I know for me it was very important to find tasty foods that were not only satisfying to me calorie and hunger wise, but most definitely TASTE wise. I have done that and that's one of the major reasons I have stayed with my plan thus far.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #4  

Well the last time I tried to diet I started binging because I got sick of all the salads and I know I would probably be more successful with a chicken sandwich than a chicken salad. The bread I have is 55 cals per slice.
KarieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Then if I were you I would be sticking to the bread and whatever else works for YOU. We are all individuals with different tastes and needs. Like I said in my earlier post -I feel it is ESSENTIAL to eat the foods that you like. If we don't like what we're eating, we're not going to stick to the plan.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

robin~my lunch, for the past 6 or 8 months, has been a salad with chicken in it. I was getting REALLY tired of that, so for the past few weeks, I've been rotating several different lunches with sandwiches only once or twice a week. While they are good, they were higher in calories than most of my other choices. I picked out a couple diet entrees that were better than the sandwich calorie-wise. I know that part of the problem was the bread (100 cals per slice, but oh, so good) and the fact that I put cheese on it. Otherwise the ff mayo and mustard don't really add enough to count.

My typical menu is:
B~egg whites with fruit or Morning Star "sausage" patty, or steel cut oats or raisin bran
S~yogurt, apple or tangelo
L~salad (usually baby greens, chicken, pecans, blue cheese and dried cranberries with Trader Joes raspberry dressing-30 cals per T)
D~except for my new foray into Cooking Light dinners, chicken breast, lots of broccoli and cauliflower and brown rice. I like the change of pace with the different Cooking Light things, and since there are 4 of us, and I make the ones that serve 4, I know that I'm not getting too much when I do make a pasta dish.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Allison, my problem is, is that I like volume. I have a big appetite, although it has gotten soooo much better. Veggies really work well for me. I can eat a lot of them without having a lot of calories and I really love them.... for now. We'll see how long this lasts for. Man, I hope it lasts........ forever. I guess that's doubtful. A little 2 oz. serving of pasta would not be satisfying for me. We all have to find what works for us and be open to trying new things I suppose. I bought these wraps the other day, fairly high in fiber and 110 calories. I haven't touched them. I just can't get myself to eat the bread. I'm kinda becoming a bread snob. Another thing that I hope lasts. It's doubtful. No, now that I think of it, it's not that I'm a bread snob, I only like fattening thick, crusty, heavy, doughy bread. And if it's not that, then I guess I don't feel it's worth it. I also have so much further to go then you. You are a tall and slender, you CAN eat bread and pasta. Maybe one day I can too. We shall see.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #8  
Swivel Queen Wannabe

S/C/G: 229/206/120

Height: 5'1

Hi Karrie. Here's my suggestions. I actually do only eat 800 calories a day during the week and 1200 - 1500 a day on the weekend so I've had to get really creative

My calorie breakdown is like this, B=150-200, L=200-300, D= 300-400.

I have found several low calorie products that I really like. Instead of bread I use "Flat Out Wraps" which are very large and only 90 calories for the light ones. I make sandwiches with very lean lunch meat, a slice of fat free cheese and then I top it off with salad from a bag and a sprinkling of fat free Italian dressing. I round out the meal with a serving for fat free potato chips. This adds up to 300 calories.

I also love the Lean Cusine paninni's and flat bread pizza which I usually pair with a salad. You can also have a 100 calorie veggie patty and I've found a really good whole wheat hamburger bun that is only 80 calories.

Your dinners look good. Shrimp is very low in calories so I like stir fried shrimp over brown rice, chicken or pork tenderloin kabobs, small, lean steaks, veggie burgers, egg beater omlets and lots of veggies.

I think you're on the right track. I would try and replace the mayo with mustard or some other fat free condiment and add more vegetables, especially some green ones.
ShowSkiMom is offline   Reply With Quote