Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Carb overload?

View Full Version : Carb overload?

senorita
02-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I've been trying to eat better for about 9 weeks now by eliminating some of the obvious evils from my diet - fast food, lollies, cakes etc. Also as a lot of people have suggested, I've been keeping a food diary and counting the cals. I've averaged about 1550 a day over this time, it would be a bit lower than that because I've had some big blowouts. Now I'm generally aiming for 1400 a day, which so far doesn't leave me starving or feeling bloated.

The problem is, I seem to be getting around 23% from protein, 10-12% from fat and 65% from carbs. Now obviously I am a big carb lover, but I do try and make sure they're from good sources - whole grain bread, weetbix, carrots/bananas or other fruit/veg and so on... but I was just wondering if this number (around 230g) is too high? I have been exercising for an hour (or more) every day but so far I have only lost a few pounds and my clothes are only a tiny bit looser. Could my high carb intake have anything to do with this?

I guess what I need is some tough love if I'm still not eating right - so please, how many grams of carbs would you suggest I aim for to start losing weight? Is 5-6 pieces of bread too much per day or does it not matter where my cals come from as long as long as I stick to my limits?

Thank you so much for any help! :)

Glory87
02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds fine to me, I lost weight and kept it off while eating 200 grams of carbs a day. It might be beneficial to slightly increase your good fats - right now you are eating 10% a day. Right now, I try to get at least 20-25% of my daily calories from good fats (like olive oil, natural peanut butter, nuts, avocado, salmon). I never paid any attention to carbs, but when I aimed for 30% protein (at least 100 grams a day), 20% healthy fat, the carbs ended up around 50-60% a day.

For me, it was a change that I had to be able to maintain my entire life. I couldn't give up/significantly reduce bread/pasta/rice/tortillas because they made up a big part of the foods I love. I like whole grain toast with peanut butter for breakfast, I like a cup of soup and a turkey sandwich for lunch, I like home made pasta sauce over 2 oz whole wheat pasta for dinner. I would have had to radically alter the way I eat to cut back and that would not have made me happy.

Everyone is different, but I really feel for me it didn't matter where my calories came from as long as I concentrated on healthy, whole foods. I needed to eat foods that I really liked in order to stick with it for the rest of my life!

followthebeat
02-20-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I just started FitDay, which by the way, rocks. I'm noticing that about 65 percent of my daily intake is from carbs. How many carbs are recommended? Does anyone know?

Jasmine31
02-20-2007, 07:08 PM
I would personally recommend 30% fat 20-25% protein and 45-50% carbs and see how you do. Yes try to make part of the fat not sat fat,, you know the good fats like olive oil, nuts, avocado etc. . I try to do 50/50. Transfat however is a big NO do NOT!

Womens health calculator (http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm)

All our bodies are different so you may need to play with it a bit. :D