Weight Loss Support - How often do you

View Full Version : How often do you

ItsAboutTime
02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
weigh yourself? I have a bad habit of doing it everyday. Sometimes more than once. I think I'll start just doing it once a week. I think I'll make Thursdays my day.

Glory87
02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
I weigh myself once a week, on Sundays. Always the same - get up, pee, get naked, weigh.

In my many previous weight loss attempts, I was addicted to the scale, jumping on multiple times a day. My emotions were completely tied to the scale, it was a roller coaster. If the weight was down, I was euphoric, committed, motivated, convinced I was going to "DO IT THIS TIME." When the scale was up, I was depressed, unmotivated, convinced I would always be overweight.

There are many perfectly normal reasons for the scale to fluctuate on a daily basis and some people find it interesting - I couldn't handle it. Only weighing myself once a week allowed me to see progress and evened out the emotional ups and downs of weight loss for me.

IlerJo
02-20-2007, 12:01 AM
I use to weigh myself everyday.If I happened to gain 1/2 pounds of water weight I could just cry.So,I took my scale to the dump and throwed it in.I didnt let it control how I was going to feel everyday.I go to curves now and they weigh you once a month.I get soooooooo excited when its time to weigh.Thats just me,everyone is different.Good Luck on what you decide.

Angihas2
02-20-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm an everyday weigher. First thing in the morning, after I pee, and before I get dressed. I watch it, mainly because I'm checking a pattern I've noticed. If you look at a few of my more recent posts, I've been bemoaning stalls, however, in my own journal, I'm starting to notice a pattern and am testing a theory. The only weigh in I count though, is Monday morning. I find it helps me control those weekend binges I use to do.

ennay
02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
I weigh almost everyday, but I only record new lows - the rest is just water fluctuation. If I see a low weight I haven't seen before then some real weight must have come off cause there is a limit to how dehydrated I could be when I am doing all the right things.

Some weeks I'll have 4 lows in a week, sometime 8-10 days before I get a new one.

FreeSpirit
02-20-2007, 01:28 AM
I weigh everyday except when I'm on my period.

SwimGirl
02-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I also weigh everyday, but don't count it unless it's Thursday.. which is my "weigh in" day. I also don't count a lower weight until I see it more than once.

-Aimee

sotypical
02-20-2007, 01:42 AM
I weigh everyday but only count Saturday's.

kaplods
02-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Every morning, but also only "count" Monday's weigh in. The Monday weigh in has worked the best, because it encourages me not to splurge on the weekends. I record the daily weight in a pocket calendar, and the Monday weight on a chart.

I've been addicted to the scale in the past, especially with digital scales, because I'm always paranoid that they're not accurate (I had one that would give me any weight I wanted it to, if I got on it enough times).

AquaWarlock
02-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Almost every day, since I do after my morning shower (only skip when I overslept and about late for work, haha! OR if I know I'm doing a morning workout, then I shower later in the day and usually skip the scales.)

finn
02-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Generally I weigh twice a day...once before bed and then first thing in the morning. It helps me keep track....e.g. I know that I weigh 2lbs heavier at night than the next morning and that the scale will shoot up when I eat salty foods. It helps keep me focused.

Mami
02-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I weigh every day because I view this as a reality check that I need to have each day. Hey, if the scale went down every day no one would complain or recommend weighing less often. While we should expect upward fluctuations and not get upset if/when they occur, if that "fluctuation" is not moving down after a few days or is in fact increasing, then you've just gotten a reality check. That your not doing something right and your weight is going up. Why hide from the truth by not weighing? Avoiding the scale seems to be easier to do the less we are likely to see the number when we step on it, but that is when its most important to find out.

alinnell
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Every morning as soon as I get up. I keep a record, too. I have a year's worth of that record now. The only days I do not weigh are when I am on vacation.

Meg
02-20-2007, 01:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with daily weighing so long as you can keep it in perspective (like the posters above :) ). Studies have shown that daily weighing is associated with better long-term weight loss and maintenance. Why? A lot of us have a problem with denial but it's very hard to kid yourself about what you're doing when the evidence is in front of you every day. And it's a lot easier to deal with a little gain right away than a big gain later on.

If you're going to weigh every day, think of it as learning how your body reacts to hormones, weather, sodium, carbs, exercise etc. It never should be a measure of self-worth. :)

Mami
02-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I even weighed every day when I was pregnant. And the scale literally climbed almost every other day that I was pregnant. I would just snort and plan on losing the second I gave birth. But for some reason I still had to get on that scale LOL.

JaimePhan
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
I weigh everyday but only count Saturday's.Ditto on that. My first weigh in was the day I started SB; it was a Saturday, around 10:30 am (yep, I still sleep in on weekends :D) and although I weigh every day in the AM, after work, and sometimes more, that is the only day I count. The reason I weigh every day is just like what someone else mentioned; I have to get a daily perspective. If I were to notice a 2 or 3 pound gain after a day with high sodium or too much wine, then I know I need to get in extra H20 and cut back for the day. If I see a huge weight loss mid week (not yet, but one can hope!!!) I know that something I did was right, so I like to keep that perspective going for me. It's like an addition to my journal.

booklover
02-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Every day, first thing in the morning, after I use the bathroom. I weigh myself until I get the same number 3 times in a row, then I WRITE IT DOWN. For too long I avoided my weight problem by not weighing myself. It's the only way I can keep myself accountable and recomit to losing weight.

I don't worry about the day to day variations, only significant patterns of change.

Obsidianbbw
02-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I weigh every 2 weeks, but as experiment I'll weigh in the day before and after, to see changes between night and day and so on. I only count the weight on the actual official day.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
I am one who cannot weigh everyday. I would be insane. I have said it before - if it was up, I would be disappointed and go and eat - if it was down, I thought - well, looky there, I can eat something I want, I lost some weight today!

I weight ONCE a week. Friday. That way I am in good shape for the weekend - don't want to blow a good loss by being out of control for the weekend. It works great for me!

Beach Patrol
02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I used to weigh every day. Now I just weigh "whenever." That is, "whenever" I think about it. But always in the morning, before breakfast, after shower. I love to see the scale go down, but I'm truly more interested in the total inches I've lost, so I measure a lot.

boaterswife
02-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Only Saturday mornings for me. I could see the possibility of becoming scale addictive, so when I found out my scale wasn't accurate anyway, I tossed it out. Now I weigh at my Saturday morning WW meeting, and that's it.

teresah24
02-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I weigh weekly at close to the same time a day. It is tempting to weigh every day though. Try to always use the same scales too, if possible. Good luck to you!!

cinderly
02-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I weigh weekly, first thing Saturday morning. Occasionally, I'll weigh mid-week, but it's not my "official" weigh-in, more just to see if I'm still on track or if I need to make a mid-course adjustment.

I plan to continue the weekly pattern once I'm at goal. If I let myself weigh more frequently, I tend to get obsessive and lose all perspective. If I weigh-in weekly, I can curtail that tendency.

MicheleKC
02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I bought my first scale in January, after my M.D. weighed me in December and I weighed the most I ever have. I know it may not seem like a lot to some, but the 8 extra pounds on my body frame meant that my size 6 clothes were feeling like sausage casing.

I was weighing myself on my Tanita scale when I got home from work and before working out and having dinner. I know that some say the scales are innaccrate for body fat%, but mine shows my lowest weight and BF% when my hydration is at it's highest, after a full day of drinking pleanty of water and after I've digested my lunch from hours earlier.

I've been very motivated by comparing my BF% on the scale to my circumference BF% by keeping my measurements for my waist and hips. I use an online calculator and both BF% on the scale and the online calculator usually match.

My waist at 31 inches was a concern for me. I read somewhere that regardless of height, women shouldn't have a waist over 32 inches for health reasons.

I think weighing yourself every day and at different times of the day will help you establish a baseline. If you start to see a pattern, like when you weigh yourself in the morning that's the weight you maintain throughout the entire week, that's probably the most accurate time of day for you.

Glory87
02-20-2007, 10:44 PM
My waist at 31 inches was a concern for me. I read somewhere that regardless of height, women shouldn't have a waist over 32 inches for health reasons.

I had heard the high risk factor for women began at 35 inches (40 inches for men).

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/aa126381.asp?printing=true

I have also read about the hip/waist ratio:

A healthy waist hip ratio for women is 0.8 or lower.
A healthy ratio for men is 1.0 or lower.
Ratios above 0.8 for women and 1.0 for men are associated with obesity and are linked to greater risk for health complications and diseases.

Maybe the 32 inches you cited as high risk is related to your waist/hip ratio (31/38 = .82)?

Here's a cool little calculator: http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/index.php

MicheleKC
02-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Maybe the 32 inches you cited as high risk is related to your waist/hip ratio (31/38 = .82)?

I read this in the March 07 issue of Women's Health mag:

"32: Maximum number of inches your waist should be. More than that and you'll up your risk of heart disease- and that risk continues to grow with your waistline. Excess abdominal fat can creat dangerous hormonal changes that contribute to high blood pressure and cholesterol. Research finds that, for women, this limit holds true regardless of height" p. 40.