Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #1  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up W.O.W.'s "No Foolin' You" Challenge - Week 1 Chat Thread

Good morning, W.O.W.'s...

Who's psyched to start Week 1 of the Challenge!?!

I know I am! It was a busy weekend (hence my silence) but, I admit, a crappy one, eating-wise. I ate a LOT of junk this weekend, and I am not real happy about it, but today I am going to get back on track. And that, dear girls, is a promise. I don't like the way I feel when I have eaten something that I know I shouldn't have. I really did great at the gym (20 mins on the elliptical, weight training plus one hour of racquetball!!), but in my mind, it doesn't make up for the terrible eating choices I made. So I intend to rectify that.

Michelle - this week, you and I shall be firmly resolved to get our butts in gear, get back to the gym, and kick it. I think it's good that you listened to your body, though. Sometimes it just needs a rest, especially if you're fatigued. Are you getting enough sleep?

Jeni - hopefully now that everyone's on antibiotics, everyone will start to finally get better! It's like Robin and Shelby said... sometimes, you've just gotta keep pushing, especially when you just know something isn't right. Doctors only get to see you/your kids in an office for ten minutes - if you're lucky! - and don't know the whole picture.

Robin, I'm so happy to hear that your daughter's visit is going well. I'm sure she's relaxed and relieved and very grateful to be taken care of by her mother for a little while. What did you end up making for dinner last night?

And yes, to answer your question, sometimes I do miss teaching music. I adored the kids and I loved helping them learn music, but what I didn't love was the bureaucratic nonsense of the public school system, the general disregard for the arts programs, and the many, many, MANY non-teaching things I had to do. It was a lot of BS. So, because I got downsized and because of the dearth of music teaching gigs in the area, I had to try to find something else I could do and started temping in a law office. They decided I had aptitude for law stuff and started training me to do more and more and... the rest is history, I guess. It's okay... it's a challenge, and it's good $$$, so I can't really complain - although it doesn't stop me from complaining. Jerky bosses will be jerky bosses.

Doobiegirl, I don't recall seeing you before... welcome!! Glad to have you on board for the challenge... what are your goals for April 1?

And WorldsBestMom5, it's good to see you back with us!

ArtsyGirl, Bean87, sweet_talker, JennyWenny, pinkcashmere, shoots-alot, GrammPaula, Holyteror - give us a shout! Please do check in and let us know how you're doing. (I hope I didn't miss anyone!!)

*~*~*~*~*

Girls - I'm excited! I have the day off, so today, after I go to the gym and run my errands, I will be traveling to Allentown to see one of my old girl friends from high school... I haven't seen her since our junior year! She had to move away because of family issues and we lost touch. I always wondered what happened to her, but last year - through the miracles of MySpace - we found each other again! We're meeting for sushi (healthy!), and I am just so tickled that I'll finally be able to give her a great big hug after all these years. I am very, very happy.

Also exciting - and part of the reason I was so silent over the weekend - was that I was helping to organize the transport of a homeless dog from a euthanizing facility to a no-kill shelter. I'm part of an organization that rescues animals and drives them - sometimes across ten states using teamwork - to get them into no-kill shelters. There's a dog coming from Kentucky next weekend whose destination is a shelter right down the road from me, and I will be doing the final two hours of his ride. It may seem futile and wasteful to some, to be driving one animal at a time like that - but if I can make a difference in the life of an animal and the family who ends up adopting him and loving him, then it's totally worth it.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Okay - this was WAY longer than I wanted it to be - I promise not to stay away for so long, and keep my posts shorter!!

Have a terrific day, everyone! Keep thinking healthy, making good choices, and stay psyched!!!!

MMM, WEED:
W: 96 ounces
E: Gym day! Elliptical and bike, probably, and lower-body strength training
E: 1300 calories
D: STAY ON PLAN, explore options for fixing hearth for woodburning stove, safe travels to and from Allentown, maybe do a little painting tonight?
RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #2  

I've been waiting for this thread to start

Good morning everyone, can I be second?!! Ever since I signed up for this one, I've been doing great -- the whole "10 pounds" is much more exciting to work on than the whole load I have to get rid off.

W - three of my bottles today
E - headed to the gym at 10:00 to meet two friends, I do much better with company
E - keep using my fitday and keep the calories around 1500
D - to not go nuts with both kids home all week and try to find fun stuff for us to do instead of just sitting around

Hope everyone has a great first day on WEED!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Shelby, we posted at the same time! That happens a lot around here, since sometimes we make a loooong post. It IS tough having the kids home. I think they get way too much darn vacation. I'm glad you will have company at the gym. I wish so badly I had someone to go with.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Ladies,
The weekends are always hard for me. We usually end up eating out which is always hard. We usually have some of the grandkids here which also makes it hard. I did walk on the treadmill and we went shopping yesterday, to buy me some new tennis shoes and long sleeved shirts for my grand daughter, so I got some walking in there too.
I've been lurking around on the "You on a Diet" threads. This sounds a lot like the whole foods diet. I'm thinking about getting the book and see if I can stick to that diet. It seems to make a lot of sense to me. One problem is it sounds like they want you to eat a lot of fish. I don't like fish. I'll have to eat a lot more chicken and turkey. Looks like I'll be on the look out for a lot of new recipes so I don't get bored. Red meat only once a week. My hubby thinks you have to have meat every day.

W- to drink 3-4 bottles of water
E- walk on the treadmill and a try out my new walking shoes
E- eat as healthy as possible
D- venture out to the store today to buy veggies and fruit so I can stay on program
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm a few days late...is it okay if I join? I need something to keep me on track, cuz I want to be in that bikini by summer!! This sounds like a great thread to keep me motivated, and you ladies all sound so inspiring.

I should probably introduce myself as well. My name is Heather...I'm 21 (I'll be 22 in May) and I'm a senior in college. My major is HR Management. In high school, weight was NEVER an issue. I was on dance team, and the majority of the season we would have double practices - 4 hours - every day after school. Then Saturdays would be competition days and I'd be dancing pretty much all day. Monday and Tuesday nights, after double practices, I would go to the studio I went to and dance for 2 more hours (6 hours in ONE day....I still don't know how I did it!).

From that schedule, you can pretty much guess that I could eat anything I want and not gain weight. And that's what I did. I was skinny, but I ate crap, so I wasn't healthy. Then college started. I tried out for dance team there, but didn't make it. I was depressed, and kept eating the same amount I did in high school. Well, without the 6 hours of dancing the weight started to pack on. My first year in college I gained about 20 pounds. That got me up to about 135-140. My second year I joined a studio. I maintained at 135-140. Then during the summer I gained another 5 or 10 pounds, and that brings me to today. I've been maintaining at 145 - 150 the past couple of years, and trying everything to lose the weight, but with no luck. I get pumped up for a program, and in about a week I go off plan. I want to get back down to at least 130 by summer, and I'll see if there's any more I want to lose from there. 130 is at the high end of healthy weight for my height, but in high school I thought I looked pretty good at 130...I looked like I really weighed about 115.

So anyway...that was really long. I'm sorry!!! I'm ready to get back on track and get rid of this weight once and for all! I'm sick of looking bloated all the time!

Here's my *ahem* WEED for the day...
W - 32 oz water...I'm still trying to get myself used to drinking water! 4 cups is a lot for me.
E - 35 minutes of interval cardio on the treadmill (I haven't been to the gym in about 3 weeks...yikes!), 30 minutes Yoga
E - 1200-1400 calories
D - Get through the day without a pop...really hard for me!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #6  

Default glad 2 be back!!

hey girls...i did not abandon WEED...weed is who i am lol (its never gonna get old). the thing is my computer has been broken for months and i had to resort to going online thru my palm pilot but then...on thursday i cracked the screen against my desk and it stopped working . Thankfully i got a laptop today and made sure to get to 3FC and post.

W: going very well and now i realize drinking out of 3cup workout bottles is easier and oddly more fun lol
E: 30 min. or 2 miles on the treadmill..whatevers longer. and ab lounge - while watching tv makes it sooo much easier
E: food when terribly wrong on saturday and i hashed into a really really bad past habit but i realized i cant risk my body's health anymore by doing it
D: STOP PROCRASTINATION...especially with homework and exercise!!

bye ladies
Bean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #7  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

Rowdy,
I spent many years in school gettin ready to teach. I went thru 3 band directors at my college just to get into it with the last one....who failed me on my student teaching. I went thru my student teaching, and i loved the students, the teachers....but I didn't think it was necessary for me to go every wednesday to have to do what my "supervisor" (the last bd i had) told me to do...go back on every instrument doing scales. I took the required instrumental courses and passed all of them with A's. My grades weren't good enough for the jerk.

Anyway, if i went back and did my student teaching (and a couple of basic classes i didn't take) I *could* teach secondary music ed. But I did notice, that when I was doing my student teaching....the teacher ended up being a babysitter, while administration and parents ran the show. Made me sad...my kids were GOOD kids....even the ones who got sent to the principal's office for fighting in class...they were good respectable kids outside of school....

anyway, I don't want to teach anymore...but I do miss music. I need to get myself back to practicing my trumpet and guitars

Hello to all today....off from work...
weed:
w: as much as I can
e: what I can do....
e: a salad or two wouldn't hurt
d: finish up some recipe cards for a stamping card swap i'm doing..
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 115.7/115.7/107

Height: 5'1"

Hi all! I would like to join, if it's not too late (with the caveat that I may not be able to check in every day due to work...I have days where I get home, eat, fall into bed. But I will try to come on here most days). My goal is 5 lbs, so a little under 1 lb/week. That's ambitious for me but attainable, I think.
Let's see if I can do this correctly
WEED:
W: this is usually not a problem for me - I think I was a fish in another life. I've had almost 120 oz today so far
E: 48 minutes on the elliptical, 5 on the step mill, will do some strength work tonight
E: Stay within calorie goal; eat only when hungry
D: Lights out by 10:30; make my to-do list for work tomorrow
Stronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #9  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi girlies! It is WONDERFUL to be back on track!!!

So I started the day, sleeping (long tough weekend at work!) woke up at 2, CONSIDERED going back to bed....DRAGGED myself out of bed, figuring, I'd be just as tired at 3 or 3:30 so may as well get up and GET TO THE GYM. (No school day, President's day so Robert was at daycare with Rachel so no time limit on when I had to pick them up, though I do around 4)

Went to the gym and DID AWESOME! First ten minutes on the cross trainer, got my one mile in 9:45 (remember the time I broke it in 8 minutes?) then went over to the weights and did upper body, really pushed the limits on the weights/reps, felt awesome about it. Hit the abs, maybe not QUITE as hard as I'm used to but I was pleased, then ten more minutes on the cross trainer, hit one mile at 9:15....felt like I was really sweating and the ol ticker was pounding!

So I went and got the kids at four, and when we drove by the park we saw all these kids SLED RIDING. Now I gotta tell ya, I'm not much for being outside in the cold, (my asthma gets really flared in the cold weather too) but it looked SO fun, (not to mention I was so hot and sweaty from the gym) so I took the kids sledding for over an hour! WOW~ so exhilarating! I had a nice childhood, don't get me wrong, but my parents NEVER took us sledding. I never knew it was so fun! And such a nice bonding experience with the kids (who LOVED it too! Even Rachel, who's only 3).

So I'm feeling SO good right now. Just had a nice Smart Ones dinner (Schzewan veggies/chicken, not the best but pretty good) And I've had tons of water so far. Tomorrow Robert has a dentist appt at 8:45 am, so Rachel will go to daycare, I'll take him there then to school then I'll have a free day. I WILL go to the gym. Possibly the 9:30 aerobics class. Clean the house and then maybe go play poker at 1:00 then pick up the kids at 4. (YAY poker, haven't been to play cards in forever!)

Suz-I did my part, getting back to the gym, kickin it, did you! One hr of racquetball?!?!? HOLY WOW! I don't even know how to play RB. How nice to find an old friend on myspace, that inspires me to find some of my own old friends. I have a few in mind...! Oh yes, and keep the posts LONG, not shorter!

Shelby! HI! So your comment sparks a bit of debate for me, do the rest of youns like to work out alone or with buddies? Because for me, I am totally focused into myself, my iPod music, my body, I just can't be bothered with others. Though some of my friends do go to my gym, I just feel so distracted trying to talk/entertain them, that I either don't work as hard (I like to push so hard I can't even talk). Plus those girls usually whine the whole time or want to quit early, so it just drives me nuts. At most, I'll read while I walk/jog, but I don't care to have others with me.

Robin, your weekend sounds so nice. What a wonderful feeling that your parents are so proud of you. Isn't it neat how you can entertain with healthy choices and everyone still loves the meal? Company used to mean some crazy fattening meal, or even pizza or whatever but nice to know that your lifestyle is contagious, and even others can appreciate it, whether they're doing the same thing or not.

Heather! Welcome! It's never too late, just pop in there!

JennyWenny, glad to have another bowler around! I haven't gotten a chance to throw my new ball yet! But I'm excited! My DH used his this week and bowled about the same, a little worse, but he likes the new ball.

Jeni-hows the kids? the job? the gym?

Holyteror, I'm totally jealous! I'm not so musically minded myself, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so to speak. But DH is a music nut and plays a bit of guitar. I always wished I had learned to play SOMETHING.

I feel all wound up now. Its nice to be back on track. I know, I know, its only one day, but still. I did miss the euphoria the gym gives me. Will check in later. xoxoxooxox Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #10  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

i loved it so much but have been away from it for some time now. I thought about getting back into shape to perform again, and maybe join a local symphony, but my buddy that was going to join with me moved away....and then I hear all kinds of drama rumors that go on with it. I'd probably be the youngest one there LOL
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #11  
Calorie Counter

Just wanted to hop in and say hello ladies. I got home from work last night and I had the chills; fever today, just got out of bed (6pm my time) My DH stayed home to take care of the kids, it has been a rotten day for all of us. Whiney boy, crabby DH, Makie took good care of me though. She climbed in bed with me and fell asleep. Hopefully I am back to normal tomorrow.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 AM   #12  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi gals, quick pop in then back to bed for me (its 4am sigh)

Jeni--aaawwww you poor girl, now YOU went and caught it! Take care of yourself!!! Don't let crabby hubby get you down, that's only temporary. Sounds like Maki is her usual mother-hen self. Did you miss work yesterday? Or were you already off?

Stronger, WELCOME!!! I look forward to getting to know you, but one question, is your weight in pounds or kg? I assume pounds since you are from the US, but you're already pretty tiny! (I don't mean any offense or judgment though! just wondering!)

Muscles are a bit sore today, woohoo! I miss that feeling! Off to soak myself in a hot bath to hopefully fall back asleep. Love to you all xoxoxo Michelle

Daily poll, Any great movies to rent right now? Comedy, drama, anything!
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #13  

Michelle – you were the poster child for the gym yesterday – can you do that again today? (do some for me)

Sledding is our favorite winter activity – it does make me feel old though when we hit a bump, I guess that may be the only reason I might miss my extra “padding” when it’s gone – it’s going to hurt when it’s just skin/bone on my bottom!!!

I have a choice few I “allow” to use the machine next to me at the gym, we chat a bit, watch TV and listen to the radio – I couldn’t stand a “yacker” – the one reason I like my one friend is she’s the one who got me past 10 minutes on the machines. I used to quit after that, without even working up a sweat, but I started staying on as long as she was and it worked great. I get two or three days a week I’m alone at the gym anyway. I had a few friends who wanted to schedule the times together (one also wanted to go to McDonald’s after for lunch!!)

Robin – amazing how we are kids again when the parent’s are around and how great it is when they praise us!! I keep telling my mother I feel like I’m still 12 years old around her!! Just something about the mom and dad approval that makes your heart happy!! When does your daughter have to leave? I bet you are really going to miss her.

Paula – I think our husbands think alike – mine would like steak every day – but since I buy groceries, I guess he’s out of luck. I’ve actually really enjoyed getting everyone around here eating healthier, not just me – the kids have been doing better than I would have expected.

Jeni – I hope everyone is feeling better. Our house has had three weeks of someone sick – it seems to finally be clearing up around here – I almost don’t want to leave the house in case someone brings germs back home with them!! My husband had to take a day off to take care of the kids because I had a very bad sick day – he was so nervous about it he washed everyone’s sheets, pillows, cleaned the whole house and threw away all the toothbrushes (I’m thinking of being “sick” again next month), the house was cleaner than I ever get it!!

W -- same three water bottles -- thinking of trying some flavored water for a change, anyone have some they like?
E -- Off to the YMCA with the kids -- thinking of just brainlessly hanging out for the whole 40 minutes on the elliptical -- maybe I can watch a whole show today??
E -- I've been staying in my calorie range but too many not so good snacks so I'm going to try to snack better.
D -- Try to stop thinking about "when I screw up" which is making me nervous and just keep plugging along.

Hope everyone has an awesome day!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #14  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Good morning everyone. My weekend was ok, except for Sunday evening at my sis's bday party. My eating was far from healthy and I also had a really stiff drink. I got myself back on track yesterday and am geared up for more of the same today.

W-64+ oz.
E-4 mile walk early this am. It was nice and toasty at 36F!!
E-shooting for 1300 today
D-I have an art class restarting today so I want to really use my creativity to the best of my ability today.

jcatron-Feel better soon.

Michelle-Your workout sounds wonderful. I love that tired/sore feeling after a great workout. It makes me feel alive. We had a family sled outing on Saturday. It was the first time my neice and nephew (3 & 5) have been. They had a blast. I came home with a black eye from accidentally going over a small ramp some teenagers had built and doing a spectacular face plant into the snow. It was still fun though. I walk/run 5 mornings a week with a buddy, but when I go to the gym I usually go alone. I guess I've gone with my sis alot, but never get as good as a workout when I'm with her. As for a response to the other thread, I've been on the depo birth control shot for 10 1/2 yrs. (currently going to change that, and since the episode I'm on a baby asprin a day until they rerun my blood to see if the protein c level is still out-then I'll see a hematologist for what to do long term.

HolyTeror-So nice to see so many musicians here. I started my grad. work with the intent of continuing on to my PhD and teaching college level theory. Well, after the politics I observed while working on my thesis, I dropped that as a career choice. I taught in the school for a year and hated it but I truly enjoy teaching individual lessons.

Stronger-Welcome! My goal is very similar to your at 6 for the month. We can do it!

Bean87-Sorry to hear about your puter problems. Great job staying on weed though. I hope you're doing well getting your eating back on track this week.

Heather-It sounds like you're on the right track with a great attitude. I'm sure you're going to reach your goal.

gramm-Weekends are the killers for me too. So many more opportunities present themselves its hard to stay in control and motivated. I've skimmed the "You on a Diet" book. I was dismayed at how much soy they incorporate into all their recipes. I'm allergic to soy so definetly cant do it. Other than that it looked good, I'm just to lazy to modify all those recipes.

RockinRobin- Congrats on such a great loss for the week! Hooray for the 180's! Your family meal sounds like it was wonderful. It is so nice to be able to spend time with everyone. I'm lucky cuz most of my fam lives within a 15 mile radius. We get to see each other lots. My bro. moved a few states away so we miss him lots, but we still get together a few time a year.

Shelby- I'm also really excited about taking part in weed! What a great group of people!

rowdy-Hope you had a wonderful visit with your old friend. I have a girlfriend from HS who I usually get together with once an year. We always seem to pick up right where we left off. Its so nice when we're together. I think its wonderful what you do with the dog transportation. We can all improve the world in little ways and then every little thing adds up to a big improvement. I'm sure the look in the doggies eyes made your time well worth it. We rescued one of ours about 6 years ago and she has brought so much joy to our fam. Hope you've bounced back from your weekend eating slip. I did well getting back on track yesterday and am focused on it again today. Good luck. Your hubbys job sounds cool. I play on a pipe organ at church and have learned little tuning tricks but generally doing anything but playing it scares the jeebers out of me. I completely understand about the school politic thing. See what I responded to holyteror for more on that.

Well, sorry this is so long and I hope I didn't forget anyone.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Michelle, I was already off and the daycare was closed. I feel somewhat better this morning. The fever is gone, but I have a horrendous headache, which I think is due to lack of coffee yesterday.

Suz, I love myspace for that reason. I had a really close friend move during my sophmore year and we lost touch, but we reconnected on myspace!!

Robin, I am glad you had a nice visit with your family!! And your weight loss is amazing!!! I cant wait until you hit that 100 pound mark!!!!

Shelby, the nice thing about a challenge plus this group of ladies, is that you want to try your hardest stay healthy!

Holyteror, you should totally join your local symphony!! I thought about it, but before I worked every night, but I might now that I will have nights off. I have to check into it.

Hi stronger, its never too late to join us!

Paula, weekends are tough for me too. Being with my husband all day makes me want to eat crap. actually since we joined the gym it has been easier because he is trying to watch what he eats too. (actually gave me a lecture last night because I had 5 hershey kisses instead of an apple or carrots )

Hi Heather, glad you signed up here. What type of eating plan are you doing? Quiting pop is like quiting smoking, take it one day at a time! HR sounds like an interesting major.

Hi bean, my husband wants and ablounge, how do you like it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well back to training. Well, actually today is my first day of "real training" Today is safety training. FUN. at least I get paid to sit there and listen and practice saftey techniques.

Like I told michelle, I am feeling better today (so far) My fever is gone so I can go into work (not that I could call in if it wasn't) I was hoping this was a 24 hour bug, I hope my kids don't get sick again.

I skipped the gym yesterday, ofcourse, but I hope I am up to going tonight, I got on the scale before my shower and it said a 4 pound loss, I know it is going to come back, because I didn't eat yesterday, but it was still nice to see the scale move.

W 80 oz
E maybe 60 minutes
E1200 cals (wont be too hard for me today)
D hopefully I can sanitize my house and get rid of my germs.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote