Weight Loss Support - Sometimes I get frustrated by other people.

FreeSpirit
02-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Sometimes I just get so sick and tired of people complaining about their weight. They call themselves fat, while sitting their eating a cheeseburger. They say that they've tried, EVERYTHING to lose weight. They've done what the doctor said and it still didn't work and blah blah... it just gets frustrating because there IS a way that will work. Plain and simple, consume less than you use. (I know some people have medical problems and whatnot, but those aren't the people I'm referring to.)

It just sucks when people bring you down with their negativity. It's been getting on my nerves so much lately... listening to people whine about how they can't lose weight and they've tried everything. How they did everything their doctor said but they can't help going to mcdonalds every day for lunch because they don't have another option. How they want to lose weight but they REFUSE to give up their 1400 calorie mocha-latte-whatever-with extra whipped cream.

Urgh. Sorry. I guess this was just a rant to get my feelings out. I know I'm not being sympathetic, but I'M SICK OF HEARING OF IT! Rawr.

kaplods
02-19-2007, 06:39 AM
I sometimes have a hard time being patient or sympathetic with others, which isn't a surprise since I also have a hard time being patient with myself.

Losing weight isn't easy. I've been trying to take it off, and keep it off, and failing miserably at both, most of my life (I was put on my first diet when I was five).

I used to get extremely annoyed with people complaining or whining about their weight problems in front of me, if they had less to lose than I (which was almost everyone). If the person had less than 50 lbs to lose, it would actually make me extremely angry - what a jerk to complain about weight loss to me. It felt like someone whining about a cold to a person with terminal cancer.

Maybe time has mellowed me, or I've just come to accept that we all have our struggles and blind spots in our life, each as big to us as they are, and change for anyone is much easier said than accomplished.

JayEll
02-19-2007, 08:49 AM
lovelypurple, you bring up something that I've noticed people, and actually, I mean women, doing a lot. Talking about how fat they are while eating the "wrong" foods. It's like a social game--that's what it feels like to me. "Look how naughty we're being, tee hee!" And everyone is supposed to join in and say "Tsk tsk, yeah, it's terrible, have another serving."

If someone eating a Big Mac told me they "can't" lose weight, I would want to right-out say to them, "Do you know that burger has 900 calories?" Well, it would ruin their lunch, and maybe our friendship. So, I might say something less confronting, like, "It's all in the choices we make." With a smile.

Or I might not say anything. I'm the one trying to lose weight, not that person--obviously!

But I do know what you mean about feeling annoyed!

Jay

lilybelle
02-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Before I changed my lifestyle, I was full of excuses on why I couldn't lose weight. Slow metabolism, no time to exercise, couldn't afford the special food, fatigue, shortness of breath, medications, ravenous appetite. You name it, I had an excuse for it. So, I can understand people when they complain and make excuses. After all, I did the same thing.

After making my lifestyle changes and learning to my surprise that my metabolism is normal, that a short walk doesn't take all day, that fatigue is actually lessened by exercise, that you won't die if you feel a little hungry at times, that a pill doesn't cause a 50 lb. weight gain, that salad and fruit and veggies and lean meat is no more expensive than KFC, McDonalds and Taco Bell and that the reason I was short of breath was that I was so darn fat, it strained my body to move: I gave up the excuses.

I feel that for a person to make the necessary lifestyle changes, they have to stop the denial and excuses. It doesn't bother me at all if someone asks How I lost weight or What might help them. . . I have had people say "I have tried every diet plan known to man it just didn't work". Unless there is something medically wrong, I don't know how this could be the case. Like myself, I figure these people will seriously lose weight when they stop the excuses and just do something about it.

JayEll
02-19-2007, 10:33 AM
lilybelle! :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :bravo:

Jay

canadian mom
02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I have a friend from high school like that. she is always going to the doctor ,she is soooooooooooo sure there is something wrong with her, well thee is she eats fast food ANY time of day. She eats what she wants when she wants and makes the wrong food choices. she blames meds but I have told her (her doc has too) that if she looses weight and eats better ahe will be off the meds but unless SHE wants to change there is nothing that culd be done. I feel for the doctor that she will not listen to all these appointments he has to listen to her wine when if she would take his advice her problems would be gone .

patswill
02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
That is soooo my husband. He asked me yesterday to get him a bunch of Healthy Choice meals. I asked why and he said "I lost a bunch of weight on them before." Yea, you could lose a bunch of weight if you would eat ALOT smaller portions and eat better stuff, but that 3rd or 4th little debbie snack cake you just ate probably isn't helping!! His answer was "Just because you lost weight eating regular food (good foods, smaller portions) doesn't mean everyone else can lose it that way" ....Umm if you tried it would!!

Mami
02-19-2007, 11:06 AM
What about those who get the stomach stapling surgery but are still obese because they literally eat what they want when they want it, with reckless abandon. Some people still have to have their pizza with pepperoni and salad has to be covered with high fat dressing, cheese and lunch meat (chef's salad etc). Hey, if you have a big appetite, at least try to substitute for lower cal options when possible (e.g. veggies on the pizza rather than pepperoni).

Angihas2
02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
LOL, I literally just fired off an email to my mom, who constantly complains about her weight, to me. Apparently, always being the fat person in the family, I of all people should be more understanding. In the email I included pictures, the last time they came through here we went to Shoney's BBQ night, I had a plate, regular portions, 1 trip to the buffet, mainly fresh fruits and veggies, same for my kids. My mom made 3 trips. 3!! I was taking pictures of the kids with their grandparents and unintentionally, some of the pics included people's plates, and all of hers showed her with something new in front of her. I know they live in an RV,<she does LOCUM work, so they travel ALOT>, and I know with limited storage and facilities it's a bit harder to eat well, but when you eat out 7 times a week, they need to be the best choices you can make. They really do. I tried explaining that just because I'm the fat person in the family doesn't make me any more sympathetic, because if I can break my bad habits, I feel she can too. She was always uber skinny, my entire life, so as much as I want to say, "I knew all that bs trash talk you use to give me would come back and bite you in the butt", I didn't. I just pointed out the difference in our plates and how she may not think she eats that much, but seriously, the proof is in the pictures. I love her, but if I get one more email bemoaning her weight gain or her newest fad idea on how you can spot reduce or drop 25 pounds in 7 days if you sleep all day, I may lose it.

JayEll
02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey, Angihas2,

Yeah, isn't that the pits!... But maybe she wants your help? Maybe you're the one that she would naturally look to, since you have lost weight.

Probably everything you say falls on deaf ears, but if she's still contacting you, think of it as she is still trying, even if it does seem like whining.

Hey, tell her to check out 3FC!

Jay

marbleflys
02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Lillybelle and Canadian Mom; very well said.....

If you are going to whine and complain, you'd better be able to back up your complaining with more (or is it less) evidence of healthy eating and movement.

lilybelle
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
canadian mom, I can so identify with your friend. I can't tell you how many times I told my Dr. "there must be something wrong with me, I just can't lose weight". DUH. He wasn't sympathetic and never once gave into my request for diet pills. I wanted a quick fix. I didn't want to have to learn new coping behaviors and lay off the JUNK.

Angihas, your mom sounds like my sister. At any given time there is 5-6 bottles of diet pills in her kitchen that she ordered off TV. She had the ear stapling. She did nothing but cabbage soup. She is constantly telling me all the overnight , Miracle ways to lose weight. And she is getting bigger and bigger. I have tried to be helpful, but you can't lose weight for someone else. She wants it done pronto and never gives anything a chance for more than a few days. I actually quit trying to help at all when she started saying that I went "overboard " and am "anorexic".

Doughnut
02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I try not to let it bother me - after all they can't make ME eat it. If I'm feeling particularly smug I just revel in my own superiority ;) and count their calories in my head :D

I totally agree with Jay though and the "tee hee, aren't we naughty". Food seems to be the one socially acceptable addiction. You wouldn't dream of pushing another drink on an alcoholic or say "go on, just one won't hurt" re cigarettes to someone who just quit. It's ridiculous.

FreeSpirit
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Angihas2: My grandparents live in their RV, too. I'm really proud of them, though. They're both 60 and after my grandpa went to the hospital for heart issues, they've all lost a ton of weight. Even while living in their RV.

Everyone: This kind of stuff I would never say to the peoples faces... which is why I think it comes off kind of harsh, here. It just gets really frustrating and I know I was probably like that too, but I know you girls understand.

Katheryne
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I've been having this problem recently with people in my family - they want to lose weight, and moan about the fact that they seem to be unable to do so, and claim that they have no idea why. But then I turn around and see my mother bring a chocolate cake to the table that literally weighs 10 lbs, and ask who wants some. My mother's excuse is that it's just too hard to resist the food she loves, but when I make the suggestion of simply not having it in the house, it gets ignored, or more excuses are offered.

"It was on sale."
"Oh, it was just an impulse purchase."
"But everyone needs a little chocolate sometimes."

In the end, it's much easier to make excuses than it is to make actual changes, and people tend to fall into that trap. My brother started weight watchers, and was on it for about a week, before giving up and blaming his lack of time for it. The real reason is that he doesn't want to give up the daily fast food meals he has with his girlfriend.

I know that I can't make anyone eat healthy foods, they have to make the right choices on their own; but it's difficult to know the health problems my family is facing and listen to them complain about being fat when they're obviously making the wrong choices.

almostheaven
02-19-2007, 06:50 PM
I can understand the excuses too, but if someone is making them to me, I WILL speak up. I'll tell them yes you CAN lose weight. If I did it, anyone can. That's my standard line. And I'm willing to share any tips I have. It might have woke me up sooner had someone said something similar to me when I was making those excuses. I'm constantly hearing "I'm always on the go and don't have time to 'cook' healthy" or "A medication I'm on keeps me from losing" or "I can't exercise because my legs are too bad", etc. These are all just within my family. :(

Alora199
02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
There are several women at my work who are trying to lose weight. Almost everyone of them have a gym membership and are on some type of plan be it WW, or Atkins, LAWL.. and they're all chronic complainers. Here's my observation of them. At lunch break, instead of bringing their lunch or eating something healthy from the cafeteria they go out and bring back greasy burgers, fried fish plates, grilled stuffed burritos, and the whole time they are eating it, they are fussing about why the number on the scale isn't budging. One will say "Girl, I worked out for two hours the other night I dont' understand what's wrong" while stuffing another french fry in her mouth!! I keep my mouth shut but I'd love to scream at them to throw their greasy heart attacks in a sack away and grab a salad but I can't. I won't. I was there before. I'd eat whatever the heck I wanted and convinced myself I had an underactive thyroid... instead of just being underactive. As a nurse I see the debilitating health problems that result from being overweight and it pains me.. if these women would just get real with themselves, banish their poor eating habits and exercise many of their diseases would resolve or atleast become more manageable. But it's a personal decision that one must make on their own.. when your ready you'll do something about it.

mrainy
02-20-2007, 02:18 AM
I chose to lose weight to improve my health, seeing the heartbreaking health effects of obesity on almost everyone in my family. I've come down from a size 20 to a size 12, in the last 14 months. I'm getting closer and closer to my healthy weight range, which I've never been in as an adult.

People have noticed that I've lost a lot of weight, and they've begun asking me for weight loss tips. I let them know that I started off slowly, and it didn't happen all at once. Most lose interest quickly when they find out it was the old fashioned method of eating better and moving more. I can be annoyed when every possible weight loss tip is replied to with, "Oh, I couldn't do that".

I've said, you don't need to figure out what the calories are, just write down everything you eat for a few weeks. That'll give you some ideas where you could make some improvements. Oh, no! They couldn't possibly have enough time in the day to write down what they're eating, much less ever think about trying to figure out the number of calories.

Hmmm, what about increasing the amount of activity in your day? There's lots of different ways, in your home or out. Oh, no! There's not a minute to spare for that, although there are a couple hours to spare most evenings for watching TV.

Try eating "non-box" foods, much less fast food, more whole grains, more veggies and fruit. I'm not talking foods with an organic seal of approval, just foods that aren't prefabricated and ready to go. Well, that's just too expensive, and takes too much time.

I'm sure my lunch peanut butter and jelly sandwich with an apple takes less time to prepare than running up to the closest fast food place to pick up a deep fried meal. Especially if I keep the fixings at work.

I would never say it to their faces either, but for many people, "I can't" really seems to be "I won't", whether they are admitting it to themselves or not. Many won't make the time or effort to lose weight, but do want to find some magical method where weight just comes off effortlessly.

Rainy

lilybelle
02-20-2007, 02:30 AM
I started a Rant thread about this topic a few months back. My son's best friends wife has came to me on several different occasions for weight-loss help. I told her exactly what is working for me. Every single time I see her, she is bigger than the time before. She is 19 yrs. old . She says she absolutely won't give up drinking beer daily. I never see her without a large bag of cheetos. When she is here, she always begs my 14 yr. old DD to cook Mac-n-cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches for her. She always whines and complains that "something is wrong" and she "simply can't lose weight". Well she was here again last weekend and started complaining about her weight. I just said "let's talk about something else". She also had told me several months ago that she wasn't willing to go walking with me, but would be glad to follow me in her car. DUH. I think there is a Huge difference between Wanting to be thinner, and Willing to do something about it. She simply isn't ready to make any kind of lifestyle change.

JayEll
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
"She also had told me several months ago that she wasn't willing to go walking with me, but would be glad to follow me in her car. DUH."

:lol: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol: :lol3:

Beach Patrol
02-20-2007, 10:19 AM
You know, I've noticed that when others talk about their weight woes, I get ill at them if they're busy stuffing their face with something unhealthy WHILE they're whining.

But if they're REALLY TRYING, I do feel for them, cause I've BEEN THERE soooooo many times. I know it has been frustrating for me when I KNOW I'm doing "everything right" but still the weight hasn't budged. I've recently learned that there are definite reasons why "Diet A" works for Sally & Susie & Jane & Meg, but not for me, and why "Diet B" works good for me but Sally gained weight on it, etc.

Our bodies ARE DIFFERENT, as WE ARE DIFFERENT. Yours may not respond the same as mine to a certain diet & exercise routine. There are "things in play" that effect everyone, such as blood type, body type, & even heritage. In general, yes, if you consume less calories than you burn, then YES, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. But it's a whole different ballgame when you're on birth control or an anti-depressant, or menopausal or whatever. Not only are our bodies different & respond to different diets in different ways, etc, but they even respond DIFFERENTLY to the SAME DIET YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE 30 than how it may respond when you are 45.

I've gone a little gung-ho with the research lately, & I've learned so many interesting things!

So I've tried not to be so ill at people when they complain about their weight. Unless, that is, they're busy complaining while eating a super-sized Big Mac meal. :rolleyes:

Kokomo
02-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Thanks so much ladies, I want you to know that this thread is just what I needed to hear. I have never made excuses to others for not losing weight. The excuses I have made have been to myself. Like, " I can't drive past the corner store without stopping for a donut or pop. After all I am so weak when it comes to sugar things." What a bunch of bunk lol

I was doing well for a long time but gradually have slipped back in to my old ways. I know why I'm not losing weight because I had stopped trying to lose weight. T

his thread and your messages have given me the kick in the butt I need to get back on track. A thousand thanks to each one of you.

ennay
02-21-2007, 08:38 AM
But if they're REALLY TRYING, I do feel for them, cause I've BEEN THERE soooooo many times. I know it has been frustrating for me when I KNOW I'm doing "everything right" but still the weight hasn't budged. I've recently learned that there are definite reasons why "Diet A" works for Sally & Susie & Jane & Meg, but not for me, and why "Diet B" works good for me but Sally gained weight on it, etc.

Our bodies ARE DIFFERENT, as WE ARE DIFFERENT. Yours may not respond the same as mine to a certain diet & exercise routine. There are "things in play" that effect everyone, such as blood type, body type, & even heritage. In general, yes, if you consume less calories than you burn, then YES, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. But it's a whole different ballgame when you're on birth control or an anti-depressant, or menopausal or whatever. Not only are our bodies different & respond to different diets in different ways, etc, but they even respond DIFFERENTLY to the SAME DIET YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE 30 than how it may respond when you are 45.

This is true too. I tried for years to lose weight and it was so discouragingly slow and I was so horridly starving the entire time. I still have the records from after dd was born where I was eating about 100-200 cals a day less than I am now and averaging less than 0.4 lbs/week loss. And I was ravenous constantly and miserable. What I didnt know then is that I was just at the edge of insulin resistant. 6 months of fairly strict SBD, followed by a "mostly SBD" life cleared that up. My metabolism is higher and my hunger is lower.

Beach Patrol
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
And I was ravenous constantly and miserable. What I didnt know then is that I was just at the edge of insulin resistant. 6 months of fairly strict SBD, followed by a "mostly SBD" life cleared that up. My metabolism is higher and my hunger is lower.

Me too! - "right at the edge of insulin resistance" - my doctor calls it "borderline diabetic." And that is EXACTLY the way I'm doing it! SBD - and like you, my metabolism is higher & my hunger is lower. :D

Angihas2
02-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't follow SBD, but I did do Atkins for about 6 months. For me, on Atkins, there just wasnt enough veggies, I love veggies, fruits etc. I've incorporated alot of my WOE from both Atkins, but more so SBD. Healthy fats, in moderation, with lean meats and loads of fruits, veggies and some whole grains. I find it works for me, and the weight comes off easily and more, I'm NOT hungary. This isn't a diet, this is fantastic.

I made a post about my dad and his diabetes issues, but it got me thinking, about how after his 1st heart attack, it should have been a wake up call for our entire family. He was only 36 when he had that heart attack. I'll be 32 in April, heart diease on his side, seems to strike younger and younger, my grandpa on dad's side died at age 52 of what they think was his 3rd or 4th heart attack. Instead of all of this being a wake up call when I was 14 and only 14 and actually underweight, I went the complete other way and gorged up. Amazing, looking back on how when we're young, we think "That won't happen to me". Today, my dad still has a hard time believeing that the guy who had the heart attack at age 36 was him. But it was, and it could easily be me if I don't get my health and weight under control. I'm so glad I have a forum like this to come share the silly stuff and the scary stuff with.

ennay
02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Me too! - "right at the edge of insulin resistance" - my doctor calls it "borderline diabetic." And that is EXACTLY the way I'm doing it! SBD - and like you, my metabolism is higher & my hunger is lower. :D

And how much time did we waste trying to do a lowfat diet and just making it WORSE

ennay
02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I made a post about my dad and his diabetes issues, but it got me thinking, about how after his 1st heart attack, it should have been a wake up call for our entire family. He was only 36 when he had that heart attack. I'll be 32 in April, heart diease on his side, seems to strike younger and younger, my grandpa on dad's side died at age 52 of what they think was his 3rd or 4th heart attack. Instead of all of this being a wake up call when I was 14 and only 14 and actually underweight, I went the complete other way and gorged up. Amazing, looking back on how when we're young, we think "That won't happen to me". Today, my dad still has a hard time believeing that the guy who had the heart attack at age 36 was him. But it was, and it could easily be me if I don't get my health and weight under control. I'm so glad I have a forum like this to come share the silly stuff and the scary stuff with.

That is one of the things that really motivates me. My dad's entire life was ruled by his poor health. He had early onset diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, high bp (although this didnt happen until he was on drugs for the other stuff)

SBD is very very close to an ideal diabetic diet. Now that I am back from the edge of the cliff, I am doing what I think anyone not diabetic with a bad family history of diabetes/heart disease should do. I eat like a diabetic 80% of the time. I eat like a heart patient 80% of the time. These are helping me stop it NOW before I am forced to do it 100% of the time

The 80/20 rule works for SO many things.

cbmare
02-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Thanks for saying that! I tried Atkins. It was not the right diet for me. I ended up with some medical problems. I'm so happy for those that have had success.

You have to find what works for you. Usually "push aways" work for everyone. Just push yourself away from the table. That and some moving with whatever plan you are following should work.

cbmare
02-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Our bodies ARE DIFFERENT, as WE ARE DIFFERENT. menopausal

Boy! Ain't that the truth!

JessicaBT
02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I feel like I'm going to get attacked from all directions for saying this, expecially since I just started and haven't lost any weight, but it occured to me while reading this...

I don't know how many times I went to my doctor.. Doctor after doctor after doctor, actually, and said "Something is wrong with me!" and they all said either "What's wrong with you is you're fat. Lose weight." Or "What's wrong with you is you're depressed. Have some Prozac."

It turned out that what was wrong with me was that I was never, ever, getting more than one minute of sleep at a time, suffocating, dumping my body full of adrenaline, running my blood pressure up, and damaging my heart, all night, every night for 28 years. (sleep apnea.) Then sleeping all day or eating carbs to damp down the adrenaline, so I'd stop feeling terrified and not knowing why. This is something that is very underdiagnosed in women. Doctors tend to tell women that they are too fat, or that it's all in their heads when they come in with complaints of being tired, not sleeping well, and feeling unexplained anxiety. My doctor actually told me that losing weight woud cure sleep apnea. I've found out since that losing weight hardly EVER gets rid of sleep apnea, because sleep apnea is caused, usually, by the back of the tongue collapsing in on one's airway. A fat neck will make it worse, but losing weight usually doesn't cure it. Thin peole get sleep apnea, and so do babies. It's one of the causes of SIDS. In my case, my doctor knew that I'd probably had sleep apnea since I was born. My mother took me to doctore repeatedly when I was a baby asking why I stopped breathing. They said it was normal.

It also turned out that I have poly cystic ovarain syndrom. Oddly, something else that is often written off as being fat or crazy by doctors.

Today is literally the second day (in my life) that I do not feel tired, and I'm already starting a diet. I feel like my brain is not functioning in a complete fog for the first time in years.

After all of those years of doctors snearing and looking down on me and saying "You could just eat less." and other things that meant "Get off your fat a** and quit whining." (Or my favorite, "You just need some anti anxiety pills so you'll stop imagining everything is so bad.") I just don't think that "Stop whining, eat less, and get off your butt," is a one size fits all answer. In my case, I hope like **** that CPAP is my answer. It is supposed to make me ABLE to get off my butt, and that's what I intend to do.

Beach Patrol
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
I feel like I'm going to get attacked from all directions for saying this, expecially since I just started and haven't lost any weight, but it occured to me while reading this...

I don't know how many times I went to my doctor.. Doctor after doctor after doctor, actually, and said "Something is wrong with me!" and they all said either "What's wrong with you is you're fat. Lose weight." Or "What's wrong with you is you're depressed. Have some Prozac."

It turned out that what was wrong with me was that I was never, ever, getting more than one minute of sleep at a time, suffocating, dumping my body full of adrenaline, running my blood pressure up, and damaging my heart, all night, every night for 28 years. (sleep apnea.) Then sleeping all day or eating carbs to damp down the adrenaline, so I'd stop feeling terrified and not knowing why. This is something that is very underdiagnosed in women. Doctors tend to tell women that they are too fat, or that it's all in their heads when they come in with complaints of being tired, not sleeping well, and feeling unexplained anxiety. My doctor actually told me that losing weight woud cure sleep apnea. I've found out since that losing weight hardly EVER gets rid of sleep apnea, because sleep apnea is caused, usually, by the back of the tongue collapsing in on one's airway. A fat neck will make it worse, but losing weight usually doesn't cure it. Thin peole get sleep apnea, and so do babies. It's one of the causes of SIDS. In my case, my doctor knew that I'd probably had sleep apnea since I was born. My mother took me to doctore repeatedly when I was a baby asking why I stopped breathing. They said it was normal.

It also turned out that I have poly cystic ovarain syndrom. Oddly, something else that is often written off as being fat or crazy by doctors.

Today is literally the second day (in my life) that I do not feel tired, and I'm already starting a diet. I feel like my brain is not functioning in a complete fog for the first time in years.

After all of those years of doctors snearing and looking down on me and saying "You could just eat less." and other things that meant "Get off your fat a** and quit whining." (Or my favorite, "You just need some anti anxiety pills so you'll stop imagining everything is so bad.") I just don't think that "Stop whining, eat less, and get off your butt," is a one size fits all answer. In my case, I hope like **** that CPAP is my answer. It is supposed to make me ABLE to get off my butt, and that's what I intend to do.

You won't find too many "attackers" here Jessica - this is a very friendly & supportive bunch.

And your case even further proves my point about how DIFFERENT we all are. Sleep apnea can cause all kinds of other physical problems - my best friend recently went thru a sleep-test & they discovered that she goes 38-47 seconds without breathing at all. She snores something terrible! - and NEVER feels rested, no matter how tired she is. Now we know why.

In many cases, I think the "Quit Whining & Get Off Your Butt" advice is just what is needed. A lot of people just don't (or can't) admit to themselves that they are eating too much & not exercising enough. But when you're eating RIGHT & exercising PLENTY & the weight is STILL not coming off, then there HAS to be a reason for it. That's where "trial & error" comes in. Sometimes we have to try several things before we find what works for us. As for me, I have done so many "popular diets" - and I have lost at least some weight on just about all of them. Some of them I lost bookoo weight! Quickly, too! - but it just came back! So I've yet to find THE EATING CURE FOR ME - the one that I won't GAIN back all the weight I've lost. And now that I'm older & gotten on the menopause train, the things that USED TO WORK FOR ME, no longer do work.

The body is, indeed, a mysterious machine.

cbmare
02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
No flame from me either!

I'm so glad you've at least gotten diagnosed. There are several ladies on here with PCOS. They will be more than happy to discuss some of your problems.

Please don't feel like you'll be attacked if you say something others won't like. It happens on here all the time. It's just that for the most part, people will disagree and explain why.

If you want to come on here and ask for advise - be prepared to NOT hear what you want to hear. These people (there are some men here) will be honest with you. It may not be what you want to hear. Sometimes it is. Just don't bark at them if they disagree with you. It's only that people care here.

I hope your new journey into a lifestyle change will be rewarding for you.

choirgirlhotel
02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Sometimes I just get so sick and tired of people complaining about their weight. They call themselves fat, while sitting their eating a cheeseburger. They say that they've tried, EVERYTHING to lose weight.

i get very annoyed with these people. I have a coworker who is over 250 lb and has talked ever since I met her about losing weight, and we even did weight watchers together, but then she sits there and eats tons of junk, chips, candy, etc., and then goes about how she needs to get back on points. but even when she says this I can see she's just saying it, and won't do it. I get so frustrated wtih her. I just get mad because I work so DAMN hard to get where I'm at, and it's almost like she is mad at me because I've lost weight. But its because I don't sit there and eat junk and not exercise!!!

Another coworker is every single day complaining about not losing weight, yet she drinks a coke (or two) EVERY SINGLE DAY and whenever we go outside to get something, she will ask for a bag of chips. I refuse to buy her the chips (lol) and i have told her a million times -- girl, quit the coke and you are already down like 200 calories! but she refuses. and keeps complaining......

Cats tongue
02-22-2007, 09:43 PM
There was a time when fat people who whinned about not being able to lose weight would annoy me. But I also know how hard it is to change... to want it bad enough to make a change.

I think what annoys me more though are thin people who whine about being fat. The girls who are just picking apart their bodies and complaining because you know they have some FAT on their tiny bodies. And having fat on your body is totally normal, in fact it's there for a reason.

What annoys me about thin people complaining about being fat is that it says a lot about our society. About how fat in general is a phobia of ours. Complaining about being fat isn't about health at all when you are thin; it's the insecurities. And because we see fat as such a bad thing, we think those insecurities are "feeling fat" when really it's just "feeling bad/not good/not happy".

That's what really burns me up: fat = bad. Becaue fat =/= bad at all. It doesn't and people who think that way....grrrr.

FreeSpirit
02-23-2007, 04:29 AM
The only time that I see fat as a bad thing, is when one is over weight and it causes health problems. Not everyone is going to be a stick, and it's okay to not be so completely thin.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my original post. I do understand that everyone is different and that there are people with medical issues that causes them not to lose weight (I believe I said that in the original post).

nikki thumb
02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree with what you are saying.
although in my case it's not the "fat" people who complain, it's the skinny people! Because im still at school the people there are constantly going on about their weight when really they have absolutely nothing to worry about!
They walk about eating their masses of burgers and hot dogs and chocolate and crisps and sugar filled drinks while im stood there with my water and my fruit and i wonder why it's me that stuck with this and not them!
I've always tried to watch what i eat but apparently it's not helped and being with them doesnt make things any better!