Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #1  
Chick in Progress

S/C/G: 160/166/140

Height: 5' 6 1/2"

Default Oral Fixation?!

Ok, I eat (a lot!!), smoke, drink alcohol and I think I am coming to the conclusion that I have some sort of an oral fixation or something. Oh, and if I'm not doing any of the above, I talk and talk. It's really bothering me. They are my 3 evils in this world right now and I keep gaining more and more weight, which makes me more depressed, so I keep eating, smoking and drinking. Beer is my favorite. I've tried cutting down to light beer, but I'm getting a "beer belly" now. The stretch marks keep coming all over my thighs but I can't stop. I don't understand why I am so fixed on food and such. Anyone else or am I crazy?
ChickySarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #2  

No, you're not crazy. You are just like a lot of people, me included. Somewhere along the way we weren't taught self worth. I am at a place in my life where I need to learn it. I am sick of this. I just turned 28, and I am ready to like who I am instead of hiding in food and drink. While I don't drink alcohol that much, I always have to have something to drink from Diet Dr. Pepper to iced coffee. It's really messed up how many calories I get from drinking, and how much money I spend in a week on that crap (I often put chocolate in the coffee). I understand how you feel. I wish I could just push a button and like myself enough to not put that junk in my body. But instead, I keep searching for something to "fill" me up. The only thing that can do that is understanding that I have value. I just don't know how to get there.
Take care of yourself. It looks like you are doing well because I am about the same height as you and I weight 20 more lbs than you do.
Talk to you later.
oregongirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #3  

Hi,
I have a bit of an oral fixation, well actually a pretty big one! Anyway a couple of diet friendly things I do to satisfy the craving for something in my mouth are: I have a sipper bottle, with a good solid sipper on it. I always have one with me, filled with water, so I can drink lots (meet my daily water needs) and also chew it to my hearts content.

The other thing I do is have sugar free chewing gum in my purse. Often I am hungry because I feel like chewing on something. This also helps, and it distracts me from other bad habits (like chewing pens!).

The other thing is that I have carrot sticks or popcorn in my fridge/cupboard so I have a crunchy thing to chew on when I get really wound up.

It is frustrating but it's great that you've recognised you have a problem - now you can start working on it! I hope some of what I've said helps. I still have problems with over eating/drinking things I shouldn't but these days are more and more becoming the exception, not the norm.
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #4  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

i have a friend with oral fixation. He chews gum constantly to help him.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'4

I completely understand...I have a bit of that too. I chew sugar free gum...constantly. At work especially, if I'm not chewing gum I want to eat.

I think this is part of the reason I binge eat until the package is empty. Not because I'm hungry or because it tastes good (because sometimes it doesn't), but because I just want to put something in my mouth and chew....that one bite after the other routine is soothing - doesn't matter if it's chips, popcorn, carrot sticks, cookies, etc.

The other posters are right...gum helps. and those baby carrot in the bag, or a couple handfuls of plain cheerios.
Clickme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #6  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

you should try these or something like them. here they sell them in most health food stores
http://www.tphealthshop.com/health/home.php
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #7  
Let's Do This!!

S/C/G: 227/175/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow! Its helpful to know there are others out there who are dealing with the same problem I have. I feel that I always have to have something in my mouth, and its not because I'm hungry or the way the food tastes. Half the time I don't even taste it. Its definitely like I've been trying to fill a void over the past 10 years, when the weight gain began. I definitely have self-esteem issues that need to be worked on. Maybe I need counseling? I don't know....But I sure have issues with this
mommy22fishys is offline   Reply With Quote