Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Default Vertical leg lifts?

I've been doing these, or at least I think that's what they're called, at the gym using a machine, I guess it's not really a machine because it doesn't move but I don't know what else to call it. It lets you hang with your arms bent and supported on pads. Then you bend your knees, or bend at the hip and put your legs out in front of you, and lift to waist level. I've been doing 3 sets of 8-10 every other day for a few days now. Does anyone know if these are good for the abs or should I be spending my time on something else? I think I feel them working my lower abs.
Thanks,
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

These are great for abs Harder than little crunches
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #3  
Meg

Pam, those are called either Captains Chairs or Roman Chairs ... I've heard both names. They're a great ab exercise! You can do knee ups, leg lifts, or run in place (bringing your knees up high) - all are good for abs.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #4  

Here's a link to what I was so lamely trying to describe:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gHipRaise.html

It looks like you got what I meant, though. Thanks so much Meg and Fru. I'll stick with these and see how I do.

Pam
Old 02-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

These are hard, so be proud. I can't even do them yet, they might as well be a pull-up to me. I tried the machine at a sporting goods store, and just kind of looked lame, dying up on the rack with these pathetic little cartoon legs doing weird things. I couldn't even hold myself up really. Alas, dd the 7 year old wonderspud, got on and did leg lifts, oblique knee bends, etc. grrr
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've done a few before but my problem is its hard for my arms/shoulders to support my weight. They are a goal for me to do them though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #7  
Meg

Aw, don't feel bad, Fran. I couldn't do them either until I was within 20 pounds of my goal weight. I just couldn't hold up my body weight when I was heavier. Don't worry, the day will come!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #8  

Wow, you gals have made me feel terrific. I am so NOT a weight lifter, exercise type, but I guess I am turning into one. I just joined a gym for the first time last August! I've been doing crunches on a stablility ball for a few months and they must have strengthened my abs. If I can do these captains chairs, you will be able to do them too, sooner than you think!
Pam