General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Question Need advice from you hair people

Well, first let me say that if you want to come out and visit, you can stay with me, but bring your scissors.

Anyway, I have a question about hot oil treatment. My hair feels like a horses tail. I condition it each time I wash (2-3 times/wk).

Someone told me I should get some hot oil treatment and put it in. Does it really work? What brand? Wash out or leave in?

Thanks "Chickie Clippers".
Old 02-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #2  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I've used the VO5 hot oil treatments and they are GREAT! I don't do it often but it does make a difference in my hair. I've tried some leave in ones and it made my hair greasy looking. But, everyone's hair is different so...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #3  
prepare for the BEST time

I'm not a hairdresser, but I have fine-textured, blonde highlights, I've been color-enhanced for decades, I know DRY. I love Bedhead's *health-goddess* spray conditioner, leave it on. silky, no greasy build-up. Also have used V05 hot-oil, but it made my hair sticky after I rinsed out.

You might get some sample sizes of the Pantene Pro-V or the new pantene blue line (shine-freeze???). Walmart usually sells the smple sizes for about $1.29. this way you won't waste a ton of $$ finding what works for you.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I use this stuff after I am done in the shower, www.stuff4beauty.com/catalog.php?category=TIGI%20S-Factor%20Serious%20Conditioner
I use about a dimes worth (it is expencive but not too bad if you use it as a leave in) I use it all year, great for inter blowdrying and summer sun
Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I need more detail MARE ~ as far as recommending an oil...could be Penzoil or Old Quaker...maybe just a little WD-40. Did it look something like this? ~

Last edited by EZMONEY; 08-03-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

I recommend going to your local salon and getting a Redken product called Anti Snap. A lot of people that I know that have had really brittle-dry hair say this works wonders on their hair. Redken has a number of products that are especially great for brittle hair and should be on the same shelf and in a dark blue bottle that you'll love. They're pricey, but you sound like you're ready to treat yourself to the good stuff.

Once you get your hair in good shape, I really like the Sleek Look line from Matrix. This can be bought in your salon as well and comes in a bright orange bottle and is less expensive per ounce than the Redken.

A lot of people get really passionate about buying salon products, saying they're too expensive and they can get comparable products at Walmart for much less. This is true to an extent, but I work in a salon and I believe the salon products are a notch or two better for people that are a bit abusive to their hair. If you have totally healthy hair, the Walmart shampoos ARE fine, but if you want something a little better, go to a salon.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #7  
Addicted to potato salad!

Oh...and hot oil treatments are nice, but guess what happens (in my experience anyway) once you wash out the oil? Back to dry hair.

Matrix Sleek Look in the big, orange bottle in the salon...you'll LOVE it. They have deep conditioning treatments in this line, as well, and shine spritzes you can use if you have a flat iron.

Oh...and Gary...I love that picture you posted of yourself!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
Oh...
Oh...and Gary...I love that picture you posted of yourself!!
THANK-YOU!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #9  

I would say..dont do hot oil treatment more than once in a couple weeks! keep it for like 30 minutes and then wash it off with a shampoo and a good conditioner. I use a drop or two of KMS CALIFORNIA smoothing serum whenever my hair gets frizzy and it just works wonders!
Closed Thread