General chatter - SAHM's = "leisurely ladies who lunch" ?

ennay
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else has run in to this. It keeps happening to me too often to be coincidence.

I quite often meet friends for lunch. I, of course, bring along my children. The places we go are in a stretch of restaurants/shops that really cater to the crowd of people who are grabbing lunch on their lunch break from work. I'd say most of the restaurants for workweek lunch that is 95% of their crowd. (But they are kid friendly, Chevy's, Old spaghetti, etc.)

So I have been noticing that if I go for lunch with my kids and a female friend (most of whom are on their lunch break) service is INCREDIBLY slow compared to if I go without kids or with dh. Orders of Magnitude slow. Like today we went to Chevy's Fresh Mex. No appetizers, no drinks, no special requests, no send backs. We ordered quickly and the meal took 1:45. Ridiculous. Everything was so freaking slow. Took forEVER to get service, took forEVER to get food, a bill, her to take the money, to get change.

This keeps happening. Lunches at places that normally take ~40 minutes taking over 90.

I am starting to really feel that they look at me and decide that we are "leisurely ladies who lunch" and not in a rush and so neglect us. Which if you have ever tried to lunch with a 3 year old and a 4 month old in tow, you know that FAST is key because a good mood is only destined to last so long.

Anyone else?

ennay
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Or maybe they dont think Moms tip as well?

tikanique
02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm a WOTHM (work outside the home mom) and I get slow service at lunch time as well. In fact, I've stopped meeting friends for lunch because it ends up taking FOREVER because so many people go out for lunch now instead of bringing food from home. If I do go out for lunch, we go late (2PM) or early (10:45AM).

Tiki

ennay
02-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm a WOTHM (work outside the home mom) and I get slow service at lunch time as well. In fact, I've stopped meeting friends for lunch because it ends up taking FOREVER because so many people go out for lunch now instead of bringing food from home. If I do go out for lunch, we go late (2PM) or early (10:45AM).

Tiki

Are you saying service is ALWAYS slow at lunch hour, or just if you have your kids?

Because for me it is ONLY slow with kids and ONLY if I am meeting other WOMEN. NEVER if I am without kids or meeting dh. (or if it is slow then, there are apologies etc.)

almostheaven
02-13-2007, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't know the other side of it, as I ALWAYS have lunch with my 16 mo. old in tow. ;) But I've had a few times with a waiter/waitress I didn't know who totally ignored me. The last was at Applebees. I sat there for 15 minutes before I went looking for a manager because I'd not been waited on for a drink or anything. She waited tables around me and I could never grab her attention. The manager got her there a.s.a.p. But her tip suffered for it. Yet the ones who know me wait on me right away. They know their tip will be good and that I clean up after my son. I think perhaps many of them are used to small mom tips and large kid messes to clean. And maybe they just subconciously stall.

Sunsera
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I notice it. I just say now, "we're going to be in and out today. I'll have the Chicken Sandwich, and can you bring the bill with the food?" :cool: That way they know not to take too much time with your order and you don't have to track anyone down to get the bill. Then you can do things as quickly or as slowly as you want. ;)

SmartButt
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I agree with Sunsera.

Perhaps the waitstaff do subconsciously (or consciously) assume you have a lot more time than "business"-looking people.

I would either say what Sunsera suggested, or perhaps something else along those lines like "Hi, we're kind of in a rush today, if I order the ____, do you think that will take too long?"

It's unfortunate that you have to make that effort, but hopefully it's a solution to the problem.

nelie
02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
My guess is there is a large bias towards the business crowd. They will generally tip well and are always in a hurry. If they know a place tends to take too long, then they won't go there. Most of my lunches are business lunches unless DH and I go out to lunch and usually a decision on where we go is how fast the service happens to be.

lizziness
02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't have kids - but I do think that they tend to just take forever during lunchtime.
I agree they may have a "that kid's going to make a huge mess, i'll probably get a crappy tip" attitude toward moms with kids in tow...
IMO those restaurants should be catering to families and moms more than business and singles/no kid couples - if hubby and I want a quiet meal we don't even go to those places because lots of parents are the "huge mess" kinda parents in this area... and I just don't want to have to be the one to catch the kid who is falling off the booth and almost cracking their heads on my table. Not all parents are like this of course, but I know I don't want to take the chance and they don't know which you'll be when you come in. It's not right, though. Everyone deserves good service, and should get complaints when they don't give it. Another problem I've noticed with those places is they have a bunch of teenagers working there that either don't care or have never had a job before.

I wouldn't have even considered leaving tip for the girl who left you waiting over 15 minutes!

almostheaven
02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
LOL I've had that discussion before. I ALWAYS leave a tip...I'm a sucker. And I have seldom left less than 10%, and just SLIGHTLY less, when the service was extremely bad. Only one time in my life did I ever not leave a tip. And another time, my ex left 9 cents and a note that said "You weren't worth a dime." I dunno, I just feel obligated to leave something. Even if the service is poort, they're STILL waiting on me...kinda. On the other hand though, if the service is extremely good, they've been known to get more than 20%. Once gave a gal $50 for a $30 dinner and had her keep the change. Course, we were feeling pretty good that night. LOL I guess in the back of my mind I'm always thinking that if I don't leave them something, they'll take it out on me next time.

nelie
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I will agree that some parents just don't know how to control their kids and other parents seem to have control issues with their kids as well. One of DH's and my most memorable experience was when we went to a decent Italian restaurant and there was a couple with 2 kids next to us. The father showed up a little late but the mom and the 2 kids seemed to be doing fine. Then when the father came, he started bossing the kids around. One of the kids received his meal shortly after the father arrived and the waiter asked if the kid wanted cheese on his meal, the kid said yes, the father said no, the waiter left, the kid started throwing a fit. Both of the kids seemed to be upset at dinner for various reasons and it didn't seem like a very happy meal for any of them.

We had another experience where two mothers met for lunch with their 2 boys, they decided to talk while their boys ran around everywhere and even started bullying some kids at another table while their mothers were up ordering food. The two mothers talking were oblivious to their kids bad behavior and I don't think the kids even ate because they didn't even sit at their table long enough to eat anything.

So DH and I tend to avoid places where we know there will be lots of kids. We try to go at quieter hours and places kids tend not to be. Kids scream, run around and throw tantrums with what seems to be little notice from the parents. You will also see well behaved kids as well but just one with a bad behavior can make a meal unenjoyable.

tikanique
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm saying that service is always slower at lunch time. My kids are at school during lunch so when I go, I'm with my co-workers and we have on our business attire and the service is still slow. I think that the work ethic among a lot of people in this position is crappy and that may tend to influence how well the service is. When I was 16 I was HAPPY to be slinging fried chicken and biscuits for 3.35 and hour, but todays teens / young adults have a sense of "entitlement" and are quite rude and not suited to service type work.

Tiki

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
It's been so long since I've been out for lunch without my kids I really couldn't tell you. But I do think that poor service is often related to having kids with me. I've seen the look on the hostess's face when we come in (especially funny the time my cousin & I went out & had something like 10 kids between us--mine, hers, & her babysit kids). More often than not, they stick us somewhere off in a far corner of the restaurant, and I get to sit and watch my server wait on his/her other tables while more or less ignoring me.

I've read in a few server blogs and newspaper articles that moms with kids are pegged as being poor tippers. I have to wonder how much of that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. After all, if the service I get is poor then the tip I leave is going to be poor.

My best "I know it was the kid" bad server story? Way back when I went out to lunch with my daughter. There was one other table occupied in the front of the restaurant--three men on a business lunch at the booth directly across from me. I laid my baby down in my lap to nurse her (and not that it should matter, but I know I show nothingwhen I do this; I've checked in a mirror and received more than one comment on my "sleeping" baby). Waitress disappeared. Baby fell asleep, still in nursing position. Waitress stayed gone. Baby woke up, I repositioned her upright so she could see, waitress magically reappeared. :rolleyes:

Anyone want to guess how good a tip she got?

jennylou
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a SAHM eating out with another SAHM and both are babies, but I don't notice that service is slow. If anything, we slow them down. We get to gabbing and take forever to order. :p We end up at Applebees often, so most of the wait staff there know that we tip well and are patient with us, bringing us lots of refills.

ennay
02-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I always tip very well, and if I dont tip well I leave a note saying WHY I didnt tip well, just so there is no mistaking it.

Well, at least I am not hallucinating. I really noticed it last year when my dd was in daycare on fridays and I would go out to lunch then..the BUSIEST day of the week and get great service, but go to the same place with her and thhhhhhbbbbt.

It just ticks me off, because dd is (usually) extremely well behaved in a restaurant--she is like me she loves to eat out. Ah well, my friend has told me twice lately that I just need to get in touch with my inner b****. She says she walks into a restaurant and just one look and they know not to mess with her! :lol:

tikanique
02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
One thing I do when I get poor service is to find a manager and complain. I had a server at Olive Garden that was so horrific, I swore off eating there. I told her I wasn't leaving her a tip, but instead was going to tip off the manager that she sucked as an employee. I was given a $50 gift card to eat there again and I gave it to my mom. I did the same thing at Macaroni Grill and was given a $20 gift card by the manager who then started talking about how he was "gonna fire that girl cause she ain't Sh*t and has been f*cking up all night" I complained to corporate about HIS lack of professionalism and racked up three gift certificates for $20 each.

Bottom line, if the service sucks, complaining to your server is no good. Tell someone that can DO something.

Tiki

lizziness
02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree! I have little backbone and I keep my complaining via internet. I go to their website, send them an email, and they usually get right back to me. I have complained about our movie theater doing nothing about people that were disrupting a movie - even after complaints were made to the workers... and again about a disgusting tasting bottle of Arbor Mist who sent me a check to replace it... It seems underhanded, I know some people who do it just to get free stuff... I don't care about the stuff, it's a nice bonus, but really I feel like I have to put up with jerks all day, not say anything back to them when they are rude (sometimes screaming f- you over and over at me) and I don't say or do anything, I'm always polite and give good service to everyone and damn it I deserve the same!

as for kids - I had a mom who had three kids with her in this tiny little bagel shop. one was throwing a fit, running everywhere, screaming... and instead of taking care of the situation she had one of her older kids try to handle it while she ignored it. It was so unpleasant. Then, right next to us was a woman with two kids and they were sitting quietly, coloring, waiting for their food to be ready, talking quietly to mom... and looking appalled by the other kids. You never know what you'll get.

almostheaven
02-15-2007, 12:13 AM
I know some people who do it just to get free stuff... I don't care about the stuff, it's a nice bonus, but really I feel like I have to put up with jerks all day, not say anything back to them when they are rude (sometimes screaming f- you over and over at me) and I don't say or do anything
LOL I used to go through Wendy's or Burger King's drive thru years ago for lunch near my job. I had to call them and complain nearly EVERY time. I'd get back to work and something would be left out of the order or it would be completely wrong. Another time I circled back through after checking the bag and everything was wrong. I heard the biotch in the window state to the other just before the window closed completely..."she does this every time." So I called in from work and let the manager know that blondie better never wait on me again.

EVERY time, they offered me a free lunch. EVERY time I told them I wasn't interested in free food. I wanted GOOD SERVICE! It takes awhile for it to sink in.

aphil
02-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I have three young children (8, 5, and 6 months) and we always get so many compliments by servers, managers, etc. on how well bahaved our children are...
I hate sitting down for a meal, and having someone else with kids next to me-and the kids are totally out of control! We went to Fazolis a few weeks ago, and these parents had two boys-one was screaming, the other was just plain being BAD...and these parents don't do anything about it. Half the time these kids look like an episode of "The Nanny" in the "before" videos.
I also hate it when I am in the store, and you see a kid tell their mom "I HATE YOU!" because they won't buy them the toy or cereal they wanted...and the parents just let them do it. I was raised "old school", as in, my mom or dad would have spanked my rear end for acting that way-so I knew not to do it. I am not saying spanking is a solution (I don't want a spanking argument started here) but saying "Now Jakie, that isn't very nice...please don't bit Mommy's wrist any more, and we'll go for ice cream after we are done here" sure isn't either. :p

I just don't understand how these adults cannot control their 2 year olds, 5 year olds, and 8 year olds...what do they think is going to happen when these kids turn 15, 17, and 19???!!!!

I just don't understand it...

I worked in a hair salon for years, and you get the mom stuck in the chair with a perm on her head...and her three kids are running all over, completely tearing up the joint. Who brings a 3 year old with them for a 2 hour hair service????

I can see why moms with kids get the treatment that they do...all we can do is prove that there are still parents out there with decent acting children, tip well for good service...and frequent the same places, so the servers will know you, and that you keep your children in line.

almostheaven
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
ITA April. I just curled my nose at some woman and her kid in Wal*Mart yesterday. The kid kept screaming something unintelligable. Kid looked to be about 4. Mom screamed right back at them every time. At one point I even started thinking someone might look into calling CPS. The woman sounded like a nutjob. I started thinking poor kid more than misbehaving kid.

But I have the cousin who raised the two unruly kids. So much so that I banned them from my house. I had to "proof" my entire house before they came over and they STILL found things to destroy. Like turning on a Wagner paint roller and spraying white paint on my hardwood floor and mom didn't even offer to clean it or HELP clean it. That's the day she got banned for awhile. Once I let her back years later, they destroyed something else and a permanent ban went into effect.

She and I used to go to lunch together. She always wanted Shoneys because kids under 5 ate free with each adult meal. And she needed MY adult purchase to feed both her kids free. My daughter was a little older. My daughter even tried to entertain her kids and help clean the messes, because my cousin would not. She'd get a $4 or $5 sandwhich, both free kids meals and leave a .50 tip on a table sitting atop a mound of spaghetti in the floor. I got so embarrassed for our table, I'd leave a larger tip to make up for hers.

Yet the ONE time my daughter acted up in Shoneys at the age of 7, I took her to the bathroom and spanked her butt. No arguments here on the merits of spanking. She NEVER did it again and we had a great meal. Usually you could leave, or you could stand a child in a corner. But when the problem is they don't want to eat there, leaving only strengthens their demands and the restaurant corners have tables in them. ;)

tikanique
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
It's sad that you have to pass a test to get a driver's license but any old idiot can have a kid.

ennay
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
I just don't understand how these adults cannot control their 2 year olds, 5 year olds, and 8 year olds...what do they think is going to happen when these kids turn 15, 17, and 19???!!!!

I have a friend who is definitely facing the music of lax parenting now that her kids are 14 and 15..

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-15-2007, 05:45 PM
My mother thought my teenage years would be a good time to initiate discipline. Too bad for her that I'd lost all respect for her years before. (Not that I was a bad kid, but only by the grace of God.) She really expected it to work, though. I imagine that other parents think that there's plenty of time to institute discipline later. I will never understand the mindset that there's a such thing as too young for discipline. While it's true from a developmental standpoint that they can't control their impulses before 3 or 4, that's not an excuse for not guiding them, which is exactly what discipline is.

Of course, two of the biggies in this house are "Just because that other kid is __________, it doesn't mean you can do it," and "Oh well, we'll always need folks to flip the burgers."

alinnell
02-15-2007, 06:51 PM
At an early age I started taking my kids to nice restaurants (not chains--restaurants with chefs and linen table cloths and napkins). I would instruct them how they were to behave beforehand, and I would remind them if they were too loud or in any way disruptive. I never had to say it twice. I loved the compliments I would get (although if the servers didn't know me, they would sit is in a far corner). To this day, my children are very well behaved because I never let them get away with anything in a restaurant. I think the worst that was ever done was when my DS was 2, he got tired of sitting (we were still eating, and he had finished) and I allowed him to stand by his chair. No walking or running, just stand there. It was all he needed. Now mind you, I'm no tyrant. I run a tight ship with everyday rules that need to be followed, and the kids seem to respect that. I think the only reprimand they ever got was to have something they wanted taken away for an evening (like a favorite TV show or something). Even just the threat of taking something away was more than enough to keep them in line. Sometimes I wonder if I've just been blessed with extraordinarily patient kids.

LindseyLouWho
02-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I just had to share a story about going out to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings (definitely not a quiet meal) with my family and bf. We had been seated and were looking over the menus when a family with 3 small children comes in. Just to set the scene, we were sat near the entrance way where the only thing separating us from the family waiting to be seated was a wooden slatted barricade that a child could easily fit his arms through. Well my poor bf was sitting right next to it and one of the kids from the other family came up behind him and started punching him in the back. Repeatedly. For absolutely no reason. My bf looked really confused because he didn't know what to do and the parents didn't seem to care that their kid just randomly ran off. All I did was whip my head around, glare at the kid with the "You know you're not supposed to be doing that" look and he stopped immediately and ran back to his parents. I didn't expect such quick results... haha. I hope I'm not just a mean looking lady... :-p

aphil
02-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Lindsey-I do the same thing!!!! :rofl:

If I am at a restaurant, and some kid runs away from his table and i sover bothering us, I tell him to get lost. :lol:

I was in a children's store shopping recently, and this kid (about 8) was standing in the middle of the store yelling "MOM!!! MOM!!! MOM!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!" over and over and over and over and over and over...

This was not a big store-it was a small boutique, about the size of a Gymboree store, or a mall sized Payless Shoe Source or something-small!

I finally look at him and tell him to quit yelling, and to actually walk around an aisle or two and LOOK. :lol:

alinnell
02-16-2007, 09:49 AM
. I didn't expect such quick results... haha. I hope I'm not just a mean looking lady... :-p

I have a tendency to glare at older children (5-10 years) who are misbehaving. They catch my eyes and usually stop. I don't THINK I'm a mean looking person, but perhaps I am!!

tikanique
02-16-2007, 09:57 AM
When we were little my 4 brothers and I ate dinner by ourselves and had NO table manners whatsoever. For example, if you had to "cut the cheese" you got up and did in front of the table like it was a big production.

Well my parents took us out to Weaver's cafeteria for dinner one Sunday and we cut up so bad that my father vowed to never be seen with us in public again. I couldn't have been more than 5 and the oldest was only 11. After that, my mom started eating with us every night, taught us all how to set the table, pass dishes, were to put our knives, napkins when we were finished, etc. and now we all have very good table manners. I started EARLY with my kids teaching them how to set the table, serve and eat. We have no problems in public and the very few times they tried to cut up I leaned over and pinched them.

Tiki

aphil
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
"When we were little my 4 brothers and I ate dinner by ourselves and had NO table manners whatsoever. For example, if you had to "cut the cheese" you got up and did in front of the table like it was a big production. "

Why am I envisioning The Klumps right now??? :rofl:

tikanique
02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Yep, that's about right, except we were not overweight. Pass the chicken meant throwing a drumstick across the table. It was crazy!

Tiki

alinnell
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I guess this is why I am teaching a class on dining etiquette in a couple of weeks! Granted this is for a group of teenage girls who probably know the basics already, but we want to reinforce things with them. Such as knowing which bread plate is theirs and what fork to use when because we are looking forward to a big, fancy meal in a couple of months.

ennay
02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I definitely have the good glare...or am mean looking. I can send other kids scurrying in a hurry.

tikanique
02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm a southern girl. I don't just glare, I tell them to "git on back ova to yo mama fore you gits in trouble over heah messin wit me!"

The accent alone scares the crap out of 'em.

Tiki

almostheaven
02-16-2007, 06:01 PM
I used "the glare" with my daughter and have found myself reinventing it for my son now. LOL My cousin with the unruly kids, she say "1!.....2!.....3!......4!......5!.........." I don't know how far she'd eventually count, but since she basically was yelling at them with her back to them and wouldn't get up to go GET them and teach them, they just ignored her. I could just tell my daughter once, and if she got defiant, do "the glare". It ALWAYS worked. Probably because "the glare" was at first followed up by "the punishement". So she learned not to go past "the glare".

ennay
02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
lol..I count sometimes, but dd knows 3 is trouble

lizziness
02-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes! 3 meant trouble in my house too. And the stink eye would always go a long way in stopping any bs from the kids...

Back onto the bad service in restaurants subject - hubby and i went out for dinner on Valentines day (his bday) and we had a 20-30 minute wait. We went and got a drink across the street and came back around 7:30, where we were promptly seated. Around 7:50 or so we flagged a woman down and she came back 5 minutes later to take our order. 8:15 we finally got our DRINKS! and didn't get our food til around 8:30... we were about to walk out. They were not that busy either. They set us off in a corner and I think they just forgot about us.

almostheaven
02-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I must say my most recent experience with Bob Evans wasn't good. My waitress went on break. She DID leave another waitress in charge of her tables, but had already dropped my bill and so the other waitress didn't bother checking up on me. A waitress for the tables across from me came through FOUR times. FOUR times I held up my hand motioning and called "Ma'am!" Three of those times, she actually LOOKED at me, then turned away and kept going!!!! I went to the front and found the manager and told them about that. I wasn't done and needed service, bad enough no one came to check, but this woman, even though she wasn't my waitress (I was going to ask her to send my waitress) IGNORED me. And THAT ticked me off.

EZMONEY
02-17-2007, 08:39 PM
When we were little my 4 brothers and I ate dinner by ourselves and had NO table manners whatsoever. For example, if you had to "cut the cheese" you got up and did in front of the table like it was a big production.

:rofl: :rofl: This is so Angie's sisters and brother...I truly believe we have never had a family gathering on that side without "FART ~ FARTS ~ GASSY ~ETC" coming up...and this is the educated side of us!.

Tiki

Yep, that's about right, except we were not overweight. Pass the chicken meant throwing a drumstick across the table. It was crazy!

Tiki

We didn't pass anything with 3 boys and 1 girl, mom busy setting the table and cooking and dad usually working late or zonked out in his recliner from working...we learned to reach! Still have that habit...flat pisses Angie off!

I'm a southern girl. I don't just glare, I tell them to "git on back ova to yo mama fore you gits in trouble over heah messin wit me!"

The accent alone scares the crap out of 'em.

Tiki

It's scaring me NOW Tiki! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Yes! 3 meant trouble in my house too. And the stink eye would always go a long way in stopping any bs from the kids...

My mom never got past 2 ~ that flip-flop came off her foot and onto our butts so :fr: freakin fast!

EZMONEY
02-17-2007, 09:03 PM
About 3 weeks ago Angie and I ate at Chili's for lunch. We were seated quickly then the waitress came and took drink orders.....waiting and waiting...finally comes back with Angie's drink~ I ask where mine is ~ OH, I am waiting for the bartender to pour it..ok..Except I had a bottled Corona! Waiting and waiting....finally brings our meals without the salad that was supposed to come FIRST and the dressing was not on the side like Angie requested AND NO silverware or the water Angie requested....waiting.... waiting...fianlly rest of food order no water...but I asked for napkins...thought that would be nice since we were paying for the food...and well, if you have ever seen me :hungry: :ink: :hungry: eat, it's a good idea! Later...much later...she comes back and ask "how is everything?" FINE! dam....but could we PLEASE get the water and napkins (by now Angie was getting :mad: mad at me for using my shirt to wipe!) and another beer. Well, after...you guessed it, she comes back with water, NO NAPKINS, and A BUDWEISER...now I have nothing against Bud but I was drinking Corona!

Finally we tell her supervisor to bring us the bill (I got up and found my own napkins by the way)...she shows up, drops bill and leaves ~ we were paying with a credit card and she didn't leave us a pen...we flag her down again...she says oh "MY bad" and says I don't have one....and just are we supposed to do? She says...MAYBE YOU CAN BORROW ONE! WHAT!! I said screw this...of course she left as she was saying borrow one...she comes back and says did you find one! NO! then she goes to the next table and takes one OUT OF THE HAND of another girl about her age...gives it to us and says "I AM SUCH A LOOOSER!" . Well, she had that right!!

I tipped her...cause I am a sucker...but if I ever go back there...and I will...if she is my waitress I will FOR SURE wait to be seated elsewhere!

lizziness
02-17-2007, 10:41 PM
This has been our Chili's experience too. We decided to never go back there again after the last time - very similar to you story...

Girl shows up, takes our order and never comes back with drinks. We finally flag her down and get drinks... eventually. Got up and got our own water and silverware since we were close to one of the little service stations. About 40 minutes after we ordered she comes back to tell us they are all out of what we ordered!! So we ordered food we didn't want, which eventually came... and then we left her no tip at all.

On the flip-side today we went out for my hubby's bday lunch with his family and I was completely forgotten. Everyone got their food but me... and like 5 minutes later the gal comes out and realizes what she's done and goes and gets my order in and brings it to me on the house. They goofed, but they had good service and fixed it and got a very good tip.

ennay
02-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Lizzi - do you have any McMenamins near you? The service you described at chili's is their trademark! But gotta love the hippie buggers!

dh and I had a service fiasco when we were getting dessert at a place called Dessert Noir last year. She kept forgetting EVERYTHING. water. coffee. cream. spoon. the desserts. more coffee. more cream. Not one thing came out the first time we asked for it. It was so ludicrous it was comical. The funniest part is you could tell she was MORTIFIED and wasnt really that bad a waitress normally, just having a seriously screwed up series of brain farts. She finally came over in disgust with herself and gave us the whole thing on the house. She was beet red everytime she came to our table. She was far more upset about it than we were. We gave her a pretty good tip.

lizziness
02-18-2007, 02:38 AM
ennay - Oh we have a McMenamins, I work right near North Bank actually. Hubby and his family went there a group of maybe 6. His family is not really organized and they always just split the check afterwards and then tell the waiter this amount on this card, this amount in cash, etc. It has never been a problem anywhere EVER! Well, we went in there and did the usual thing. The waiter was kind of surly and stressed even though hardly anyone else was in there (gee I wonder why)... well we go to give him our money and he actually YELLED at us for not telling him in the beginning to split the check. Not exaggerating, he actually yelled at us. We were all shocked. Another time we gave no tip. Not acceptable.

on a side note - the Mc******** in Lincoln City is amazing! The only one I'll eat at.

Soggy
02-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm also a SAHM and I've actually found the opposite to be true. If I go at more "off" times I get much worse, slower service, even if we're the only people there. During busy times it's fast fast fast.