General chatter - Dr. Phil now more about ratings than helping people?

Tara D
02-12-2007, 05:07 PM
It seems that Dr. Phil's shows are becoming more and more sensationalistic these days. It seem like he brings people on who are going to bring big ratings, and that the focus is more on that than helping people. I didn't notice that so much before, but I am watching it more these days, so maybe that is part of my new perception. Has anyone else noticed this?

ennay
02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah, he has totally turned into Jerry Springer lite. I only watch him if he is doing a weight show or a parenting show. Even those arent as good as they used to be.

I mean...he used to address problems that a LOT of people have so there was something to get from it all. But really, how many people are being "helped" by the flasher dude story?

Charles
02-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, that's especially true during this month because this is one of the "sweeps" month, meaning the time when advertising rates are set. So I'm sure at this time of year they do tend to lean more heavily towards getting ratings as opposed to helping people. I'm still a fan, regardless. I thought the flasher episode was pretty funny.

Ilene
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Ennay -- "Jerry Springer lite" :lol: I love that, it's exactly what I wanted to say... Yeah, he's getting pretty bad!! Soon he'll have bouncers on the stage to hold back the guests :rolleyes:

tikanique
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
It's all about the ratings and the $$$$s.

Tiki

almostheaven
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
And just what's wrong with Jerry Springer??? :D :D :D

FrouFrou
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Dr. Phil is a douchebag...just ask Oprah.

FreeSpirit
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not really quite sure it is about ratings.

I mean, he most likely has more ratings now than he used to... since more people know about him, and with all of the books and stuff he has out, people are more likely to watch his show.

I think that the shows that would get higher ratings are advertised more, but, I watch his show alot and I don't think that he helps any less than he used to.

Also, There's only so many shows you can do on a certain topic before it starts to get obsurdley repetitive. Which is probably what's starting to happen. I mean.. have you ever watched Maury? Basically all of his shows are about cheaters and paternity tests/lie detector tests. His show has become extremely dull.

That's just my opinion.

GatorgalstuckinGA
02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
gets frustrated with both Dr. Phil and ophra...yes i know i will prob be the only one who is blasphamis (sp?) and say i don't like ophra...but what really bothers me about her...is if you watch her show...somehow she realate to every single thing that has ever been on the show...for pete's sake ophra...let the ppl you brought on the show speak for a few...sorry if i have offended anyone...but that's my thought. I know she's done a lot of great things for overwt issues...but i feel that she gets everyone on a band wagon that sometimes isnt always good. PPL need to really explore all the avenues of the story before taking "oprah's side" oh welll...sorry i'll get off my soap box now.
:soap:

EZMONEY
02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't believe it! Angie was off today, Lincoln's birthday. She had been out shopping for a wedding dress, I was paying bills in the den when she came home. I had the tv on up in the livingroom but was not watching. Now Angie isn't much of a "talk show" watcher...I on the other hand like Dr. Phill when I get a rare chance to see him. Anyway, she comes in grabs a snack and sits down in the livingroom, she isn't up there for 2 minutes when I hear "I can't believe it! Dr. Phil has turned into Jerry Springer!" I just told her to switch channels, I wasn't watching...that was it...until I saw this thread!

EZMONEY
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM
As far as Oprah goes, I am sure she has done great things for people. I was never much of a fan of hers...she just seemed too goody goody for me (my take). I have enjoyed shows, but have not watched her for many years. She lost me when she had a show on about religion. She said "It doesn't matter what we believe, as long as we all believe in something, we all have the same God." So NOT TRUE!

Then with the fiasco of A MILLION LITTLE PIECES...boy did she poo-poo all over herself on that one!

EZMONEY
02-12-2007, 09:59 PM
It's all about the ratings and the $$$$s.

Tiki

Why are you so negative TIKI? The SEC gotcha down! ;)

lizziness
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Another can't stand Oprah or Dr. Phil vote here. He's annoying and she's too egotistical. She helps people which is great, but does she have to think of herself as a goddess?

For pure entertainment I love the Greg Behrent show. He just amuses the heck out of me.... and after a few months now of Rosie on the View... I'm tired of her. Today was the last straw -she needs to shut up and let other people talk once in a while!

Ilene
02-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Rosie gets on my nerves too... She's just not a View type girl... Ellen would be better on the View... I love Ellen, she's so sweet I find...

Alora199
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Very rarely do I watch daytime television.. but occasionally I catch a glimpse of Dr. Phil. The man just loves to hear him self talk! His poor guests rarely get a word in edgewise. What kind of crap is that?

Tara D
02-13-2007, 09:44 AM
One of the things that bothers me most is that sometimes he seems to make jokes at the expense of the guests...just to get a laugh out of the audience.

Ilene
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM
One of the things that bothers me most is that sometimes he seems to make jokes at the expense of the guests...just to get a laugh out of the audience.That is sooo true about him, and it drives me crazy, I think it's very rude!

ennay
02-13-2007, 12:23 PM
gets frustrated with both Dr. Phil and ophra...yes i know i will prob be the only one who is blasphamis (sp?) and say i don't like ophra...but what really bothers me about her...is if you watch her show...somehow she realate to every single thing that has ever been on the show...for pete's sake ophra...let the ppl you brought on the show speak for a few...sorry if i have offended anyone...but that's my thought. I know she's done a lot of great things for overwt issues...but i feel that she gets everyone on a band wagon that sometimes isnt always good. PPL need to really explore all the avenues of the story before taking "oprah's side" oh welll...sorry i'll get off my soap box now.
:soap:

heck no, I hate HATE when she brings in an expert and then talks over them like she knows the subject better than they do. Especially when she talks over Dr Oz

And my pet peeve is her certainty that EVERYONE has the same core emotional issue when it comes to obesity, because she figured out what it was for her. (cant remember what it was but I remember knowing that wasnt mine)

FrouFrou
02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Not an Oprah fan either. But I think it's funny (not ha, ha) that she got Dr. Phil his start and he has nothing to do with her now. She made him what he is and apparently has forgotten that.

When I can catch a talk show Ellen is my preferred one. Once in a while I will catch the View.

Michelle
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Rosie gets on my nerves too... She's just not a View type girl... Ellen would be better on the View... I love Ellen, she's so sweet I find...

I so agree with you here, Ellen is just the sweetest, and seems to be more liked.:)

EZMONEY
02-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I watched THE VIEW..part of it..ONCE...when I saw that ELISABETH was on it. She is the only one I would watch.

GatorgalstuckinGA
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
i don't get to watch much daytime...usually at work but on wed i do watch some...and i agree with lazziness...love the greg behret show. Also rosie is so annoying right now. wish someone had duct tape for her mouth LOL

Ilene
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm a bit out of the loop here, did Oprah and Phil have a falling out?

almostheaven
02-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I got addicted to Jerry for a short while. Never have watched Phil, and have caught Maury only twice. But I HAVE taken note of the Maury commercials I've been seeing the last two days.

"Are you stuck in a bad relationship?"

You see all these screaming women, crying, yelling, cursing..."I HATE YOU!"

Ending voice over...

"Feel better about your life, watch Maury."

LOL! Ain't it the truth?

ennay
02-13-2007, 08:24 PM
bwahahahah - just today Oprah had Dr. Oz on, I saw about 15 minutes. Anyway here is a posibbly garbled quote. "learn more about acupuncture, its the NEWEST thing"

lizziness
02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
i don't get to watch much daytime...usually at work but on wed i do watch some...and i agree with lazziness...love the greg behret show. Also rosie is so annoying right now. wish someone had duct tape for her mouth LOL

LMAO I know it's a typo but I got a kick out of you calling me Lazziness which is so close to laziness... maybe a more appropriate name for me anyway.

This is sick and wrong, but I know a person who has been on Sally Jessie AND one that was on Oprah before she changed her format. So glad I moved outta California.

EZMONEY
02-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey L(i)zziness ~ What's a matter with California? I live here...ohh.....well then..I see your point.

lizziness
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
hehehe. depends on WHERE in California i suppose. I was in a nasty little place between Sacramento and Chico... I blame any stupid thing I do on my California edukatun too. :) :) :)

Musicgal
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I used to enjoy Dr. Phil although it has always been at a difficult time slot for me to watch. I agree totally. I don't like the Dr. Phil House stuff or the Man Camp...just doesn't interest me and I don't think it applies to most people. I am usually interested in the weight loss/eating disorder/body image shows and the shows that deal with depression and psychological problems but he doesn't really seem to offer much help anymore. He seems more sarcastic, too. Maybe Robin should host the show or his son...they would probably do a better job.

GatorgalstuckinGA
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
lol...sorry lizziness...it was a typo. Darn brain...can i call it a glitch from my brain nerons to my hands...LMAO...sorry about that...

ennay
02-14-2007, 04:19 PM
hehehe. depends on WHERE in California i suppose. I was in a nasty little place between Sacramento and Chico... I blame any stupid thing I do on my California edukatun too. :) :) :)

my mom lives in oroville...lol

Tara D
02-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Also, I've noticed that when his wife Robin is on, it always sounds like she's reading from a 3rd grade reader book when she reads the teleprompter. I don't expect her to be great, but I'm just surprised that they keep putting her on so much! It sounds so fake when she has to speak because she reads the teleprompter word for word in a 3rd grade reading level type of way! I know she's not a professional TV personality or actress, but they keep giving her so many lines, and it almost hurts my ears!

lizziness
02-14-2007, 08:09 PM
ennay - then you are also probably familiar with Marysville. *shudder*

freiamaya
02-14-2007, 11:29 PM
"Hi, I'm Robin McGraw. I have absolutely NO training whatsowever, but I DO have frequent sex with a famous psychologist, so I feel that I am fully qualified to counsel you with respect to your family problems...". Imagine picking your family physician this way ("I'm not REALLY a doctor, but I AM having an intimate relationship with one...so, lets get on with this and do your annual PAP smear...")
HONESTLY
p.s. I feel better now...

pixiefalls
02-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Dr. Phil is a douchebag...just ask Oprah.

LOL.

I've never enjoyed watching Dr. Phil so I've only done it a couple times. I've only watched Oprah a handful of times...

There's just something about them..

LindseyLouWho
02-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Dr. Phil just makes me angry... well, actually, anyone who tries to tell me what the root of MY problem is and what I need to do just irks me. But that may just be the last little bits of rebellious teenager coming out. :p I like psychologists that help you find your own explanations for your problem and just guide you... that way you're really learning something instead of just receiving a lecture.

lizziness
02-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I always feel like he's yelling at people - I guess it's just his tone of voice or something, but that irritates me. Suze Ormond does it too and the anti-christ herself Nancy Grace. *LOL* Man just accidentally flipping onto her show upsets me.

lilybelle
02-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I caught the Dr. Phil show today. It was a 500 lb. woman with a teenaged daughter. She was treating the DD like she was a dog, whistling and snapping her fingers for her DD to bring her stuff. I personally wanted to smack the woman. The teen couldn't enjoy her own life because she had to do all the housecleaning and empty her mom's urine bucket. How gross. The mom was on probation and had previously had the DD taken away for criminal neglect of a minor.
There was also a 1000 lb. man that was still blaming his mom for his weight problems and he is 39 yrs. old. Both the man and woman wanted gastric bypass and I believe were both told that it wasn't appropriate for them.

The only time I bother to watch Oprah or Dr. Phil is if the subject matter is weight or nutrition. I like Dr. Oz.
As for Rosie, I quit watching the View when she started on it.
I do like to watch Ellen. She seems very genuine and very funny.
Maury's show is always on paternity tests. Like, WHO CARES?

JaimePhan
02-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Suze Ormond does it too and the anti-christ herself Nancy Grace. Hahahahahahaha! I totally agree. :)

ennay
02-17-2007, 04:45 AM
ennay - then you are also probably familiar with Marysville. *shudder*

Oh yeah, mom used to work there. Driven through it many times

sharonrr
02-17-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm a bit out of the loop here, did Oprah and Phil have a falling out?
Can someone please answer this question. Her production company still produces his show.