Exercise! - wearing contacts while exercising

View Full Version : wearing contacts while exercising

BlueToBlue
02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I currently wear glasses and have never worn contacts, but lately I've been thinking about getting them to wear while exercising. The glasses are a problem because I sweat A LOT (literally, rivlets of water running down my face) and it's hard to wipe the sweat with my glasses on. Also, they are always slipping down and if I run outside when it is cold they fog up.

But I have a friend who has contacts and she is always losing them (they move out of position in her eye and then she has to do this weird eye rolling thing to find them). So I'm worried that with contacts I'd just be trading one problem for another; I don't want to have to constantly stop my workouts to find my contact.

Does anyone wear contacts while exercising and do you find that they stay in place or are they just as much of a problem as my glasses are?

alinnell
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Your friend must have hard contact lenses. They do tend to slip off center easily (I wore hard lenses for over 25 years). Since switching to soft lenses, not only do I no longer have the problem of the lenses slipping off center, but they are so much more comfortable and you also don't have to worry about stuff getting under the lens (windy days here bring up a lot of sand in the air and sand in the eye with a hard lens is extremely painful). If you were to get contacts, I'd recommend getting soft lenses.

Tara D
02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I wear contacts from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. It's been about 10 years now since I started wearing them daily. I do everything in them including exercise. I feel that my vision is much improved with contacts. With glasses, things are blurry around the sides of the glasses. With contacts you see EVERYTHING clearly, and once you go to glasses, it's hard to go back! I had to wear my glasses for a week once due to an injury -- I will never go back to glasses!

BTW, I wear soft contacts.

WaterRat
02-12-2007, 02:27 PM
What they said! :) Soft contacts are the way to go. I even wear mine swimming - under goggles, of course.

cagirlygirl
02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Ditto. I do everything in my contacts (also soft) - run 10K's, lift weights, play volleyball, swim... just about everything. So, so much easier than glasses.

Go for it!

cheers! :hat:
paula

Sheila53
02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I wear soft contact lenses while exercising, then change to glasses when I get home. My glasses would always fall off when I started to sweat so I never could exercise wearing glasses. The only time my contacts have moved in my eyes is when I take a shower and have gotten water directly in my eyes. The contacts always go back into place after a bit, though. It's no problem for me to go back and forth between contacts and glasses.

ArtsyGirl
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I wear hard contacts. (I cant wear soft due to an astigmatism.) They definetly get painful if something gets in your eye, but I still always do my workouts in them. Beats the sweaty/foggy glasses. I dont have problems with them moving around in my eye unless I get bumped or t rub my eye without squeezing shut pretty tight. I'd have to say try the soft first as most people are more comfortable in them but dont rule out hard if the soft wont work for you. They really are very comfortable once you get used to them. Good luck.

SlimLindy
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
I wear soft contacts all day, every day. I have to wear glasses/contacts to see anything. I could not exercise in my glasses--I move too much, too high impact, WAY too much sweat. The contacts are completely unnoticeable to me. Although it has been years since I started wearing them, I vaguely recall it took me a week or two to get the hang of putting them in and such. DEFINITELY worth the switch (and not just for exercise!).

Ilene
02-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Blue -- You're friends contacts must not be fitted right, because they should not do that...

I wear hard gas permeable contacts because I have Kerateconus -- rare eye disease -- I have been wearing hard contacts for 32 years :fr: since I was 18 -- ok, just gave my age away :lol: -- I can't wear glasses because of my eye problem, glasses cannot correct my vision, I can see with them but I see ghostings around everything, I doubt anyone understands that :) ... But anyways, I wear my contacts for 15+ hours/day, I swim, run, weight train, bike outside , I do EVERYTHING with my contacts on... The only thing that really bothers me is dust, to help with this I have special biking goggles which I sometimes wear to run... Because of the KC I have, my eyes are extremely sensitive to dust and light, hence the goggles for certain sports. My DD has regular soft contact lenses and has no problems at all with them, not even with dust or light. She goes out with no sunglasses even.

So having said this, Blue, I highly recommend contact lenses... BUT be warned not everyone can wear contacts, there is a certain adjustment period. My DH is having a very hard time getting used to them, such a wuss :lol:, nah, just kidding ....

Anyways, hope this helps...

alinnell
02-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I wear hard gas permeable contacts because I have Kerateconus -- rare eye disease --

Ilene~my DH is kerataconic also. His sister is as well and has had to have cornea transplants due to it. I am scared that DH will have to have transplants (but in the long run, he'll have better vision if he does). He is legally blind without his contacts or glasses (can't see the big E on the chart).

Bev
02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I am also thinking about getting contacts. So do you need to wear googles when swimming? Also are they hard to put in. I have worn glasses for 23 years so this would be adjustment for me. I mostly want them because when I take my kids to the water park I have to take my glasses off and then it is hard to see the kids ( or anything for that matter).

Ilene
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Bev, I never wore goggles until I started going laps... When I am in the pool at home with friends or when the kids were young I would never wear goggles. Just a splash or a few drops in the face is ok , I take showers with my contacts on too......

Ilene
02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Ilene~my DH is kerataconic also. His sister is as well and has had to have cornea transplants due to it. I am scared that DH will have to have transplants (but in the long run, he'll have better vision if he does). He is legally blind without his contacts or glasses (can't see the big E on the chart). I am legally blind too without the contacts and can't see the big E on the chart... Eventually I will need a transplant , but my eyes are pretty good lately, so :crossed: on no operation... It is genetic and I am thinking that my DD may have it, she is soooooooo much like me in so many ways it's uncanny... Poor child :lol:

alinnell
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Our optometrist is keeping tabs on our kids and so far they are not showing any tendencies toward kerataconus. It's weird, the only ones who have it are DH and is little sister.

One of the reasons that I'm not planning on having Lasik to correct my vision--DH can't have it and I'd feel guilty not wearing my contacts when he has to wear them.

Ilene
02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Our optometrist is keeping tabs on our kids and so far they are not showing any tendencies toward kerataconus. It's weird, the only ones who have it are DH and is little sister.

One of the reasons that I'm not planning on having Lasik to correct my vision--DH can't have it and I'd feel guilty not wearing my contacts when he has to wear them.There's a site I used to go to where there are a LOT of KC patients started with the eye problem AFTER they got lazik surgery. I try to discourage anyone who is contemplating that surgery. Think about it, they SHAVE a layer of your cornea off!! How safe or healthy is that? How long has your DH known about his KC, for me it's been 6 years... As far as I know I am the first one in my family ...

almostheaven
02-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I've always worn soft lenses and NEVER had one slip like that. But I had a teacher lost hers like that once. She was only one of two people I'd met that wore hard lenses. The other, one broke slightly on the edge and scratched their eyball. So I specifically didn't want to get hard lenses when I decided to try contacts because of those two.

Sheila53
02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Soft contacts can scratch your eye, too, if they tear, or if your eye is too dry. Mine had an unnoticeable tear in one, and I put it in my eye. Kept wondering why my eye was watering so much--took it out and discovered the tear. By then, my eye was scratched. Also wore them longer than I should have one day and ended up with a scratched eye, too. The older I get, the dryer my eyes are. I wonder if those Hydroclear ones are really better at staying hydrated?

trekkiegirl
02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I've worn soft daily contacts half my life. I call them my eyeballs...I don't really think about them, they become part of me. I rewet them occasionally because they can feel a little dry when I'm in a dry or windy environment (air conditioning, etc.) but I love them. And, as has been said, the only time they might move is if water gets in my eyes or I rub them or something but I blink a few times and they move back into place. Otherwise, like I said, I don't feel them. I'm near-sighted and slightly astigmatic (so slight as to be of no consequence according to my doctor). I once very briefly toyed with the idea of the LASIK and then I thought, what am I, nuts? Why should I risk surgery when I accomplish the same result with my contacts and I'm totally used to wearing them and the whole process of caring for them?

None of the women I work with wear contacts, they all wear glasses. The idea of sticking something in their eyes freaks them out. I was a teenager when I first got mine and it took me almost 2 hours to put them in, it was nerve-wracking, lol. But once I got used to the trick of rolling my eyes upward so that I don't see my finger coming, they go in easily 99% of the time. I have glasses, too, but those are my back-up. Since I take my contacts out nightly, I might wear my glasses then or in the morning before I put on my contacts or maybe a day on the weekend if I'm not going out. Any my preference has been to stick with the daily-wear. I figure, with the extended wear, they're in your eyes longer, problems might develop. In all the years I've had my dailies, I can count on one hand the times I forgot to take them out before bed. I might take a nap in them or something but then I just rewet them a little more frequently. But, basically, the whole process of insert, wearing, removal and storage is second nature to me. I would never choose to be solely dependent on glasses if I didn't have to be.

MariaMaria
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I wonder if those Hydroclear ones are really better at staying hydrated?

IME, yes. They really do feel comfortable for longer, hours-per-wearing wise. I was surprised that I noticed a difference.

WaterRat
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I wear hard contacts. (I cant wear soft due to an astigmatism.)

Artsy - ask your optometrist about toric lenses. I have a bad astigmatism and can wear these. They're soft, but still weighted to stay in the proper rotation for your astigmatism. They are called "programmed replacement" rather than disposable. :lol: Really, they're great. I usually wear a pair about a month, taking them out at night and using an enzyme cleaner occasionally.

I never wore goggles until I started going laps... When I am in the pool at home with friends or when the kids were young I would never wear goggles. Just a splash or a few drops in the face is ok , I take showers with my contacts on too......

Oh, that's what I meant, Ilene. I don't bother with the goggles unless I'm swimming laps, but having my contacts on means I can see the clock - and the other swimmers. :rofl: (I have pretty bad eyesight - 20/800 - but something as big as a swimmer I'd notice!)

BlueToBlue
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks, everyone. Your comments are very encouraging; it would be so great to be able to workout without my glasses and yet still be able to see (and I hadn't even thought about swimming--that would be awesome; I wouldn't have to bring my watch in a little plastic baggie anymore because I'd actually be able to see the time clock). I have my yearly appt with my eye doctor on Friday and I'm definitely going to ask her about contacts.

I'm not sure what the deal was with my friend's contacts. I think they were disposable (she had a whole box of them, if I recall correctly)--I'm not sure if that means they were hard or soft. I know her glasses are coke-bottle lenses and my eyesight isn't anywhere near that bad. We were on vacation and, I swear, at least once a day she was rolling her eye back in her head, pulling out her eyelid, and asking me if I could see her contact in there anywhere. Ick!

Cheryl14
02-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi Barbara!

The crew has given you lots of info already, but I'd like to suggest that you give the disposables a whirl. I have worn hard lenses, gas permeable lenses, gone for ten years without any contacts and just worn my glasses and then at an eyeglasses exam decided I would try out the "new" disposables. That was fifteen years ago, and I have had GREAT success with them!

The highlight of the whole experience my first year with my disposable lenses was going down a waterslide and being able to SEE WHERE I WAS GOING for the first time ever! That was AWESOME!!!!:carrot:

The day that I got my first disposable lenses I just went in to get new glasses. The girl who was doing the eye exam asked if I would like to try contacts. I told her I HAD contacts before and was less than happy with them. When I told her my previous lenses were quite a few years before AND they were hard lenses and gas permeable ones, she said, "I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the disposable ones!" I said, "OK! I'll try 'em!" I sure am glad that I did! I could hardly feel them in my eyes! I was able to wear them for four hours the first day, and I wore them as I drove home! Amazing thing!

To answer your main question, I wear them as I exercise, and I sometimes wear my glasses. It depends what time of day it is! My exercise in the morning is usually at 6AM, so I wear my glasses then and put in my contacts after I shower. I wear my contacts from morning until night. Sometimes I relubricate them or take them out to clean them throughout the day. Some days my eyes feel dryer than other days. The rewetting drops work great for those days.

Contacts are best in the rain! You never have to try to see through raindrop-spotted lenses like you do with glasses!

Give them a try! I think you'll be happy with them.

Cheryl

almostheaven
02-13-2007, 12:21 AM
I wonder if those Hydroclear ones are really better at staying hydrated?
My eyes don't create enough of their own tears, or some type of malarky like that. :D They first tried me on Proclear, then on Acuvue advanced with Hydroclear. The Acuvues worked 10 to 1 better. I can go much longer without rewetting.

Nikaia
02-13-2007, 02:58 AM
I cant wear soft due to an astigmatism.

I'm another one with astigmatism, but I DO wear contacts. Soft lens disposables (new pair every two to three weeks). Wouldn't live without 'em. I *have* glasses, for late at night when I take my contacts out and am just sitting in front of my computer, or on days when I've been an idiot and fallen asleep with them in (cause when I wake up, my eyes are super-irritated, I can barely get the contacts OUT, and there's no way I can wear the contacts that day). I wear SofLens 66 Torics; I'm about 20/35 in one eye and about 20/45 in the other eye, plus the astigmatism (although to what degree I don't know). My father also has astigmatism, and he's worn contacts for years.

My life changed so drastically when I got my contacts. I got glasses when I was 14, wanted contacts right away because I hated how glasses made me look - even the stylish thin frames - but my mom wanted me to wait a year before switching. She gave in after about four months when it became clear that I was flat-out not wearing those glasses, and I was going to out-stubborn her on that particular issue. ;) I remember getting my contacts, putting them in at the doctor's, then walking outside and going "OMG! Individual leaves on trees! Individual blades of grass! Letters on street signs! I haven't seen those in years!"

In closing: Contacts good. Contacts very very good. :)

2frustrated
02-13-2007, 05:36 AM
:wave:

Just my 2p! ;) I have worn contacts since I was 9. I had 3 monthly replaceable ones, soft contacts and had to put them in every day and take them out every night. My eyesight wasn't that bad and eventually I got so lazy that I stopped wearing them. That and I became allergic to the chlorinated cleaning solution that I used. For that reason I have to wear goggles in the pool whatever :(

Then when I was at Uni I started getting headaches from using the computer too much and straining my eyes. I went to get those ones you can leave in 24/7. I think that's what you mean by extended wear. I change them once a month and forget about them. My eyesight's not so bad that I'd remember to put them in every day.

As for exercising in them, when I first used to wear them for exercise I think they'd kinda steam up or dry out or something and they'd move around a bit, but I haven't noticed anything like that for a long long long long time. Actually that was probably with those ones that I took out every day.

The only time I've ever lost a contact lens whilst exercising (I'm a kickboxer and get hit in the face most training sessions!!!!) is doing very close work with my chin tucked under my instructor's and I think I scraped my eye over either his body armour or his chin or something and I lost my contact, but it technically did get pushed out!

Oh and another thing about wearing contacts. I now have almost no blink-reflex. I'm very good with people sticking things in my eye! When some optometrist had to put that orange dye in she was very impressed that I didn't even blink once when she's coming at me with this stick... :lol:

But yes, contacts good, glasses a PITA!!! :)

Oh yeah, and I was also told last time I went to the optician's that I have an astigmatism and that I might find my lenses a bit uncomfortable because of the shape of my eyeball. But he said I could get special weighted lenses that I could wear. I'm not sure if he meant extended wear or not, but they were deffo soft contacts.

Ilene
02-13-2007, 09:43 AM
2F-- I have no problem either with sticking my finger in my eye when I put my contact in... I see it coming and just keep my eye open, I know I won't hurt myself :lol:

ArtsyGirl
02-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I wear hard gas permeable contacts because I have Kerateconus -- rare eye disease -- .

They thought I had that when I was 11 and that is actually why they put me in the contacts so young. Thought maybe it'd slow the progression down. I am lucky in that they were wrong and I do not have the disease. My lenses are also gas perm. I guess I forgot that tidbit. I'm also in the "legally blind" without correction. I'm lucky if I can see a bit of a colored blur where the E is supposed to be.

ask your optometrist about toric lenses. I have a bad astigmatism and can wear these. They're soft, but still weighted to stay in the proper rotation for your astigmatism. They are called "programmed replacement" rather than disposable.

I tried Toric lenses about 20 years ago. I found them more uncomfortable than my gas perm. ones. Probably cuz I was already used to the hard. Thanks for the suggestion though.

alinnell
02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I wear disposable toric soft lenses after having had both hard lenses for 10+ years and then gas-permeable lenses for another 10+ years. I love the soft lenses more than anything. I have to have the toric due to my astigmatism. I wear glasses basically from the bathroom to the bed each night and back again in the morning!!!

Yes, hard and gas-permeable lenses do slow down the progression of kerataconus--that's why the doctor has you wear them (my Dad is a retired optometrist and I worked as an optician for 6 years). Soft lenses do not help with that situation.

Tara D
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm surprised that you only know one person who wears contacts. Pretty much everyone that I know at work wears them! There may be some people that have them that you may not even know about. I know that most people I know casually don't know that I am visually impaired because they never see me in glasses! You may want to ask around!

Ilene
02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I wear glasses basically from the bathroom to the bed each night and back again in the morning!!!:lol: Oh, that is sooo me!

Nikaia
02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I have no problem either with sticking my finger in my eye when I put my contact in... I see it coming and just keep my eye open, I know I won't hurt myself

Yeah, but then there's the adventure of the long fake nails for prom night...That night, after my senior prom, I spent probably fifteen minutes trying to get my contacts out without putting out an eye with those long nails! ;)

I'm lucky if I can see a bit of a colored blur where the E is supposed to be.

I'm not that bad, but there's SO a reason I wear my contacts to the DMV when I need my license renewed. They don't know, and if I have my way, they never will.

Ilene
02-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Nikaia -- The long nails story is hillarious! :lol:

almostheaven
02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I never understood a fear of putting your finger in your eye. Most people have done it at one time or another...whether to remove an eyelass that is stuck in their eye, rub sleep out of the corner, whatever.

As for contact horror stories...

My cousin was having trouble with one of her lenses once and went into a public restroom to put some drops in. She couldn't see anything, fished in her purse, found the drops, squirted. She spent that evening in the hospital emergency room to remove the superglue.

Nikaia
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Omg, that's horrible...I literally gasped out loud when I read that! I do hope it turned out okay and stuff...*shudder*

Yeah, Ilene, I was an idiot...got my nails done the day of prom, in the midmorning, AFTER I'd put my contacts in. It NEVER occurred to me that, y'know, I'd have to get them back OUT, too. ;)

cbmare
02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Artsy - ask your optometrist about toric lenses. I have a bad astigmatism and can wear these. They're soft, but still weighted to stay in the proper rotation for your astigmatism. They are called "programmed replacement" rather than disposable. :lol: Really, they're great. I usually wear a pair about a month, taking them out at night and using an enzyme cleaner occasionally.

Same here. I wore the gas permeable ones for a while. I hated them. I dreaded putting them in and couldn't wait to get them out. A few years ago I spoke with my dr about them and she told me that they make them soft now. I wear mine for 3 months then dispose of them. I don't wear them at night. I've done that a few times and the whole world is foggy the next morning and have to leave them out for the entire day.

I didn't know I could swim in them. I don't even take a shower with mine in. I'm afraid of losing them.

cbmare
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
My story about learning to put them in:

The hard ones are easier to put in. However, I, too, had the problem with them popping out when exercising or opening my eyes too wide. I hated them anyway and quit wearing them when my Rx changed.

When I got these soft ones I thought I'd never learn to put them in or get them out. I was sitting there trying and trying. The person in the dr office was so patient. I told her that if she needed to leave and do anything like give birth to go ahead. I'd still be there when she got back.

I finally got the hang of it. It takes awhile, but I can do it now with no mirror. Just be sure they are wet enough. If not, then your eye/s will hurt!

trekkiegirl
02-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Barbara,

How did the eye exam go on Friday? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

BlueToBlue
02-18-2007, 04:01 AM
The eye exam went great and I did ask about contacts. My doctor recommended one-day disposables since I only want to wear them for about an hour a day. I also have allergies that sometimes cause eye irritation and she thought these would be the least likely to aggravate that condition (next on the list of things to do to improve my self is allergy shots).

But it turns out that there's this whole fitting process you have to go through--I thought they just gave you a box and sent you home :lol: --so it's going to be a little while yet before I get to try them. I have an appointment for a fitting later this month. I'm very excited about being able to see clearly while working out!

MariaMaria
02-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Fitting is kind of a misnomer. Most brands of lenses come in only one or two sizes (not to be confused with prescriptions). What the eye doctor does is see which sizes will fit you--it's not like a wedding dress fitting where the dress is altered to fit you. And, of course, you learn about how to put the lenses in and take them out, and how to take care of them.

rease
02-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I use extended wear disposable soft bifocal contacts. I can sleep in them. I take them out overnight 1x a week and can use the same set for a month. I was never able to exercise with my glasses on. With the contacts it is no problem.

Optical Goddess
02-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I've worked with contacts for 8 years and have worn both soft toric for astigmatism as well as Rigid gas permeable. I like the hard ones better because I can see a lot better than with soft ones. It's a personal choice. I've worn them for long enough that I can't feel them.

The reason a Dr. will not give you a box of contacts and send you on your way is if you get them stuck in your eye, or do something improper in handling them. Not to mention legal issues.

Contacts do work a lot better with activity, like sports or working out...you need to be very careful when swimming and showering. If water gets below the lens, it can pop out, also chlorine and all the other stuff in water will be absorbed in the lens, even if it's just a few drops, so be vigilant in cleaning them. I have heard so many horror stories with contacts, people leaving in a 2 week disposable for months....wiht out taking them out! (gah!!). Most people are really good about contacts, but some..uh, aren't. The most common argument is someone who has worn contacts for years and years and doesn't get why I can't fill the Rx that's that old. * sigh *

Patient's seem to really like the new acuvue advance and acuvue aosys lenses, made w/ the hydraclear. Disposables are nice in that you don't have to wear them every day for them to be comfortable. A lot of patients only wear them for certain activities, and then go back to glasses when they aren't doing that activity. It's good to have a pair of glasses to wear when not wearing CL's to give your eyes a break once in awhile. Disposables are less money per box/pair at time of pick up, so you don't have to spend fat cash for Cl's you may not wear all the time.

If anyone has any CL or optical questions, feel free to let me know. I'd be happy to help. I'm not an optometrist ( although I'm working toward it) but I do know how to fit contact lenses. I also love to keep current and flex my optical muscles once in awhile.

In the case of a fear of putting your finger in your eye, practice putting your finger in some water and touching your eye. your eye's natural instinct is to slam shut, this will help a lot. Your eye will stay open to let you take something out of it because you are removing something...putting in is reverse of what your brain and eye would normally do.

Whatever you do: don't wear them when they are ripped, and do not share cl with other poeple. Nast!! I've gone back to the gas permeables after a few years trying to find the perfect soft lens. I liked the acuvue advance for astignmatism as my favorite soft toric. I used to be a die hard glasses person, but now I'm one of many who really likes contacts.

Also, ask your eye care professional about rebates and coupons for the contacts. I know on the acuvue web site they often have rebate forms you can print out.

Ok..I'm done now. I tend to get out of hand when it comes to optical stuff....sorry if i got too nerdy

Benjasmya
02-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I have recently found that if I am exercising to a video (I use DDR), my contacts get dried out. I've actually had them pop out of my eye. I think this is because when I am exercising to a video, I don't blink enough. Then my eyes dry out. I am so busy concentrating that I don't notice them until it's too late.

Otherwise, I LOVE my contacts. I have not had any problems with exercising in other forms...and it is definitely nice not to have my glasses sliding down my nose when I am sweating!

Good luck!

BlueToBlue
02-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Patients seem to really like the new acuvue advance and acuvue aosys lenses, made w/ the hydraclear. Disposables are nice in that you don't have to wear them every day for them to be comfortable. A lot of patients only wear them for certain activities, and then go back to glasses when they aren't doing that activity.

That's definitely my plan. I only need glasses for distance (although these days, distance is anything more than 3 ft away :lol:) and it's more work for my eyes to focus on anything close if I'm wearing my glasses, so I naturally take them them off when I'm reading, using the computer, or looking at anything less than 2 ft away (I do it without even realizing it; it's sort of frustrating because I leave my glasses all over the place and then spend half my life looking for them). For this reason, my doctor doesn't think I'll be comfortable wearing contacts all the time. Since my CL's will be single use disposables, I won't have to worry about cleaning them; I'll wear them once and throw them out.

and it is definitely nice not to have my glasses sliding down my nose when I am sweating!Good luck!

I'm so looking forward to that! :hyper:

Ilene
02-20-2007, 12:17 AM
I use extended wear disposable soft bifocal contacts. I can sleep in them. I take them out overnight 1x a week and can use the same set for a month. I was never able to exercise with my glasses on. With the contacts it is no problem.How do you like the soft bifocal contacts? DH is looking to get some because he doen't want to wear reading glasses, ahem, I think it's because he doen't want to admit he needs reading glasses :lol:

Optical Goddess
02-20-2007, 12:25 AM
In the practice I work with/for,there is a mixed bag of opinions on the bifocal lenses:

1. Awesome distance, mediocre near
2. Awesome near, mediocre distance (
3. Love them
4. Like them for times when CL's are more practicle, but not all the time..

People also use monovision, where one eye is used for distance and one for near. Some people hate it, some love it.

Some will wear distance CL's and use reading glasses over top as needed. ( although that _does_ not help the avoiding readers thing.

alinnell
02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
My mom was fit with monovision for years and she loved it! I think it would drive me crazy!!! Although I am not yet in need of bifocals, I think I'll probably stick with my contacts for distance vision and get some good readers for close work. Every time I see my doctor, he checks to see if I'm in need of reading glasses (I was just in on Friday) and so far I'm still okay. I'm having a bit of trouble today, though. He's switching my brand of extended wear soft lenses and also changing the Rx. I have a trial pair on now, and they just aren't quite right. My astigmatism changed quite a bit since my last visit. I've also ordered a new pair of glasses (hopefully they will be okay).

BlueToBlue
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Just to follow up in case anyone is still interested, I finally got my contacts yesterday and wore them to work out for the first time today. They are great. It feels so strange to be able to see clearly without wearing my glasses, almost like I am cheating somehow. But it was awesome to be able to see without having to push my glasses up my sweaty nose every minute. :D Very cool. Thanks everyone for your input; it was very helpful.

LisaMarie71
02-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm glad I finally read this whole thread, because I've been considering contacts for a while now. I've been wearing glasses for ages, and I've always wanted to try contacts but I have that silly fear of touching my eyeball. I'm not sure if I can get over it! I really really want to, though. I think I look much better without glasses, but I'm pretty nearsighted. I haven't been to the eye doctor in a while, so I'm not sure of my prescription and all that. I definitely need an exam anyway, whether I switch to contacts or not!

Now that I run a few times a week, I think contacts would be a lot easier. When I sweat, my glasses slip off, and they're just annoying. I don't want to have to wear them when I do the 10k on March 31st, but I don't know if I have time to get contacts and adjust to them by then. Do I? I know NOTHING about contact fittings, and the prices for contacts, and how all of it works.

MariaMaria
03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Soft contacts? Plenty of time.

BlueToBlue
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I asked my doctor about contacts for the first time on Feb 16 and I had them and was able to wear them for a workout on Feb 28 (I had my fitting and took a few boxes home with me on Feb 27--my full supply will be coming in the mail sometime later). I still have a little trouble getting them in and out, but I'm getting better at it every time I do it. I have one-day disposables, so no worries about cleaning, etc. I'm surprised at how comfortable they are and how well they correct my vision.

The total cost for the fitting and a two-year supply came to a little over $500. It works out to less than $1 a day.

I've only worked out a couple of times with them and I'm already way happier than I was wearing my glasses. I'm especially looking forward to running with them. I definitely recommend looking into them.