Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Glucophage/Metformin? anybody taking it?

Anybody here taking Glucophage or Metformin???

My 21 year old son had fasting insulin bloodwork done and it came back high in the range and the doc wants to put him on 500 mgs of Glucophage - once in the evenings for a week, then one twice a day after that which would be 1000 mgs daily.

He and I both have thyroid problems and each of us take 5 grains daily of Armour Thyroid.

Just curious if we have others here that are Insulin Resistant and/or that are taking Glucophage or Metformin for that or their diabetes and their experiences with it. Any side effects? how do you feel on it?

thanks,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi Cathy . . .

I've been taking Metformin (among other things) for Type II Diabetes for almost 15 years. Until quite recently I was taking 1000 mg in the morning and again in the evening but have now cut it down to 1000 in the morning and only 500 in the evening because as I lose weight, my diabetes becomes easier to control (I've also cut back on my other diabetes meds and my insulin, too).

Metformin is probably the only oral diabetes med that does NOT cause weight gain. The only side effect I've ever had is a bit of an increase in gas. Although I know loose stools are noted as being a possible side effect, I've never had that problem. Sorry, but I have no ides how it might interact with the thryroid meds.

Hope this helps . . . have a great moving and shaking kind of day, Chickie . . . and best wishes for your son.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm Insulin Resistant, and am on 500 mg Metformin daily. I didn't notice any side effects. My fasting blood sugar levels are down under 100 again, so it's apparently doing it's job. My husband is on 1000 mg for Type II diabetes. He takes the extended release version.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #4  

I am hypothyroid and diabetic. I take Unithroid and Metformin, among other things. I took Metformin for several years before I crossed over and became a full fledge diabetic. Side effects are usually gas, and lower GI stuff. It tends to be the first drug most doctor's try because of the way it works. It helps the liver not to over produce blood glucose, and also helps block the absorbtion of sugar in the intestines. It is very effective in helping keep insulin resistance from becoming diabetes. (I had quit taking it...who knows if I had continued if I might have kept the diabetes at bay longer...) I do not think there would be any issues with taking Metformin while taking Armour.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

thanks for the input y'all.
it does help and I appreciate it!
thanks,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote