Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #1  
Wendy II

S/C/G: 206/201/160

Height: 5'4"

Default "Personal Odors" An Article on Aromatherapy...

Aromatherapy Smells Great!
Odors and Energy
-- By Mike Kramer, Staff Writer, ***********.com

Each of us has a secret source of energy. You can’t hold it in your hand or see it in a book. Most mysteriously, it can boost your energy, mood and motivation without you even knowing it.

It’s a smell. Not just any smell, but a particular smell that invigorates you. It’s different for everyone. For some, it’s leaves; for others, hay; still others, rubber or smoke. People that turn up their noses at leather may perk right up when they smell motor oil.

The fact that odors can boost energy isn’t any news to people familiar with the basics of aromatherapy. We’ve heard for years about the effects smells have on our brains and bodies. Peppermint, for example, is widely used to increase alertness. In Japan, there’s a company that pipes in scented air to pep up employees. In the morning, cedar and cypress wake them up. In the afternoon, citrus stimulates their senses.

But what’s still unexplored is a type of “Personal Aromatherapy,” in which each person may be physically and emotionally affected in different ways by different smells.

Aromatherapy works in two ways. First, many smells (apple pie, foot odor, perfume) simply produce emotional responses learned through association. Other smells most often used in aromatherapy oils (lavender, vanilla) have real physical effects. They cause the body to produce neurochemicals, such as serotonin, which relaxes and induces sleep.

What’s interesting is that this physical effect may also be learned. In fact, these same “chemicals of well-being” are also released when talking to a lover or listening to music. That’s where the idea of personal aromatherapy comes in.

Personal aromatherapy is a smell that’s closely related to an activity or interest that you’re highly invested in or really enjoy doing. The more “active” this activity is, the theory goes, the more its related smell will boost your energy. The smell and its effect on you are very personal things. If you love working with wood and you use a lot of energy doing it, chances are the smell of sawdust will get you going. Same goes for someone who loves cooking upon entering the spice aisle in the store. When faced with these meaningful smells, you can’t help but feel a little rush of energy and pleasant thought.

So what does this mean for weight loss? Just this: by keeping these personal aromatherapy scents around, you will feel more energized and more positive about staying active.

Of course, these are often smells you don’t want around all the time. (Who wants to live in a workshop?) In fact, they may actually be smells you normally find unpleasant in daily life. But it’s the emotional reminder that’s important, not the smell itself. What activity do you really get fired up for? Does it have a distinct smell that goes along with it? If you can find a way to give yourself a “shot” when you need it, you may have found the secret to staying charged up and motivated every day.
Wendelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #2  
Kim - IP 9/10

Hmmm - kind of cool. had an AWFUL job once and I brought a Home Sweet Home Yankee Candle into my office to make me feel better. I truly believe that scents help with emotions.

So, who's gonna send me some fresh-cut grass clippings, since that is my 'energy' aroma? Anyone? My lawn smells like frozen dirt right now.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #3  
Barb on LAWL

Height: 5'3"

that was an interesting article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim were you pounded with all that snow?
Barb316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #4  
Wendy II

S/C/G: 206/201/160

I don't know about the fresh-cut part.. but I do still have some grass showing in my back yard.. want me to send it Kim??

I liked the article.. I'm BIG into aromatherapy.. I have a couple of different scents of candles at work for whatever mood I'm in.. or whatever mood I need to get OUT of! My favorite is an Asian Pear scent.. makes me happy and calm almost immediately.
Wendelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #5  
Kim - IP 9/10

Barb - no, thank god - we haven't gotten ANYTHING. We're only at 6" for the whole winter, which is unreal.

Wendy - thanks for the offer, but I'm OK. Actually I do have a Yankee Candle that is called Spring Grass - and it really smells like it. I should break it out of the closet.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #6  
Kim - IP 9/10

Speaking of which - did anyone see the news report last night on CBS where they interviewed the little blonde girl about missing school for the whole week because of the snow? That was my friend's daughter! They live outside of Syracuse.