100 lb. Club - What is your best unusual weight loss tip?

sharonrr
02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd like to know if you have a weight loss tip that might not be well known. Not drink plenty of water or the everyday things but something that isn't common. What is your best unusual weight loss tip?
Give me some ideas that I don't know. Thanks!

Goddess Jessica
02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Give yourself a manicure when you feel like munching away mindlessly. It gives you two hours of focusing on something else and it forces you to not ruin your new polish by diving into a bag of chips.

fiddler
02-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Chile peppers. The capsaicin in them dulls your appetite and raises your metabolic rate by as much as 25% for up to 3 hours after you eat them.

buckettgirl
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
eat light mozzarella string cheese for snacks.
Per 1 ounce serving: 60 cal, 9 grams protein, no carbs
Tasty, satisfying, and it won't raise your blood sugar to cause cravings later.

phantastica
02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
What worked for me is to make sure I had removed any unnecessary stressors before beginning any major permanent changes. This might mean changing jobs, moving, etc. For me, it meant going to a therapist, establishing clear boundaries with relatives, and waiting until I was well past cigarette cravings (after quitting). I made sure I had the resources and means to change my eating and exercise habits.

The other thing that I think helps is to make researching nutrition, health, and exercise a hobby.

Fun thread!

SexyRevealed
02-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Eat protein with every meal/snack/whatever. One of the best tips I've ever learned. Keeps me full and satisfied.

Glory87
02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Permission to be a ***** about food. If I don't want it, I'm not going to eat it. I don't care if not eating Mary-from-Accounting's birthday cake hurts her feelings or makes people think I'm unsociable. I will smile politely and sweetly decline, twice. If someone keeps pushing, I tell them on no uncertain terms they are being rude. I also have no problem declining invites to places I know serve nothing healthy. We are socialized to be nice and eat things to be nice - I had to break that habit, because it was so easy to yeild to peer pressure and eat things just to be easy to get along with.

Christine in NJ
02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Knitting. I was a horrible snacker. I'd sit and watch tv and munch munch munch. I wasn't really hungry, just bored. I learned how to knit, and now that my hands are occupied, I don't feel the need to snack. It took a couple of weeks to stop looking at my hands, but now I watch tv, and knit and I'm completely engrossed in both. Best part about it is, as I'm keeping myself from snacking, I'm also making something. So far I've made scarves and blankets for several people, and if I ever run out of people to make things for, then there is always Project Linus, a group that collects blankets for children who are hospital bound.

taraljl
02-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I like to brush my teeth well before bed time so that I think twice about eating anything because then i will have to brush them again

T

shelby897
02-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I also go with the tooth brushing, I will also floss while I'm at it, if I'm having a really bad craving -- by the time I'm done with it all -- there is usually no way I'm going to "ruin" all that work with junk food!!

Lillibeth
02-12-2007, 04:06 AM
I completely agree with Tiffany - PROTEIN is the key to my success. I eat low salt ham, low fat cheese, lean chicken etc as a snack and it really works to keep me full for longer. In fact I saw a programme on the BBC called something like the science of food in which they did experiments and proved that high protein meals keep you fuller for longer than every other type of meal.

I also think soup is a great help - I tried this after watching the same Science of Food programme. They explained that your stomach is like a sieve, if you drink water and eat solid food the water can filter through the food and out of your stomach quickly so you stop feeling full. However, if you eat soup the food / water mix sits in your stomach and drips out slowly (in the same way it would if you put thick soup into a sieve) and this means you stay fuller for longer. :df:

Cheryl14
02-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Instead of asking myself, "Is that TASTY?" I ask myself, "Will that food help me get to my goal?" For most of my life the only question I ever asked myself about food was, "Will that taste YUMMY?!!!" Now I consider if the food is nutritious and will help me be healthier. If the food isn't going to be HELPING ME, then I know that it may be HURTING ME. I certainly have hurt myself ENOUGH over the years! Enough of that!

Cheryl

KnCmamma
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Play video/computer games or do sudoku puzzles....anything that will keep your hands busy not filling your face.

SexyRevealed
02-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Another tidbit about protein... I've read that protein has the highest thermic effect of any food. If you eat 100 protein calories, you burn 30 calories just to digest it, so you are really netting 70 calories.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-12-2007, 12:57 PM
One trick that I use is that I put a teaspoon of Benefiber in my hot tea everyday. It helps me to keep from feeling like I am hungry!

I also cut ALL sugars out of my eating. I used to be a terrible sweet craver - and by NOT eating any of it (real or artificial) that miraculously has stopped all my cravings for it. ( I still have a hard time believing it, but I sure am thrilled about it!)

carol2208
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
What a great thread !:)

I love excercising in the morning (although it hurts to get out of bed, but it´s all worth it), it helps me to keep on track during the day, and it´s a great energy booster.

rockinrobin
02-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Okay, you said unusual, so here goes. Luckily I haven't had to resort to this lately, but I have in the past and I will again in the future if need be.

Throw unwanted, unhealthy stuff that you're about to eat in the garbage. Better yet, ruin it first, like run it under the sink. I had to do this a while back with some homemade pizza my kids were done with. I know it sounds wasteful, but I'd rather waste it then it go to my waist. Or thighs or butt or any part of me.

sharonrr
02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
You guys have given me some great ideas. Definitely some that I never heard of before. I learn something new everyday. Thanks

Angelic Fruitcake
02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Knitting. I was a horrible snacker. I'd sit and watch tv and munch munch munch. I wasn't really hungry, just bored. I learned how to knit, and now that my hands are occupied, I don't feel the need to snack.

That works for me too. at least most of the time :sorry:

~Caroline~

avsfan2
02-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Take the time to really stop and TASTE your food...really. THINK about it. I can't tell you how many times I could mindlessly be shoving something into my mouth because I think it's yummy and then if I can get myself to shift my thinking and actually think about how it tastes I'm shocked to find out it's not that good. I could be in mid-chomp on an oreo thinking how wonderful it is and then the next minute I will slow down my chewing and really think about the texture and taste only to realize it tastes like chemicals and it's really not that good tasting.

I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but when I can make the mental shift to really think about how well I like the flavor of something I'm surprised at how many unhealthy things really don't taste all that good anyway. I just eat them from habit or addiction.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't do this with veggies...eat those mindlessly! I'd hate for you to stop and realize you don't like them! :nono:

SexyRevealed
02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Okay, you said unusual, so here goes. Luckily I haven't had to resort to this lately, but I have in the past and I will again in the future if need be.

Throw unwanted, unhealthy stuff that you're about to eat in the garbage. Better yet, ruin it first, like run it under the sink. I had to do this a while back with some homemade pizza my kids were done with. I know it sounds wasteful, but I'd rather waste it then it go to my waist. Or thighs or butt or any part of me.

A good friend of mine who has lost a lot of weight does this. If she slips up and buys something BAD from the grocery store, she'll pour black pepper on it or something like that. I remember one day I had a donut on my desk (at the very beginning stages of TRYING to eat right) and she poked holes in it with her finger. Hey, it worked!

rockinrobin
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
A good friend of mine who has lost a lot of weight does this. If she slips up and buys something BAD from the grocery store, she'll pour black pepper on it or something like that. I remember one day I had a donut on my desk (at the very beginning stages of TRYING to eat right) and she poked holes in it with her finger. Hey, it worked!

Yup, it works. We gotta do everything we can to get past the moment. And then the moment passes!!!!

Charbar
02-13-2007, 01:31 AM
I eat a single serving.. or less.. of the best dark cholate I can find. Normally it's only 55 calories. For some reason I have never wanted to binge on dark chocolate. I have not eaten milk chocolate since starting on Jan 15th.

rockinrobin
02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I just thought of a couple more.

My pedometer. I love it. I am always trying to make it move up. So, I'm constantly walking in place just to see that sucker increase, therefore getting in more activity and more calories burned. I am always sneaking in extra exerice. I also leave the radio on in the kitchen. It's a great way to get yourself moving as you're preparing meals and stuff.

I also sometimes have my big meal for lunch (what would normally be my dinner). It doesn't always work out. It's good for a night when my kids are eating something else and hubby's out swimming at the Y or whatever. I wish I would do it more often. It really keeps me much more satisfied then my usual lunch.

Vamp
02-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Knitting. I was a horrible snacker. I'd sit and watch tv and munch munch munch. I wasn't really hungry, just bored. I learned how to knit, and now that my hands are occupied, I don't feel the need to snack. It took a couple of weeks to stop looking at my hands, but now I watch tv, and knit and I'm completely engrossed in both. Best part about it is, as I'm keeping myself from snacking, I'm also making something. So far I've made scarves and blankets for several people, and if I ever run out of people to make things for, then there is always Project Linus, a group that collects blankets for children who are hospital bound.

That is about the most fantastic idea ever! I crochet like a madwoman.. when it makes it out of the closet. :) I quit smoking 23 days ago and I really need something to keep my hands busy when I'm craving a snack or a smoke.. I totally forgot about crocheting! Sounds like I'll be pulling the dusty yarn back out again, I've got 1/2 of a mammoth blanket finished and I'd love to complete it. Thanks for the idea!

BooBear2071
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I tended to have a horrible habit of needing to leave the store with something for the trip home. Like a donut or a brownie or something. So I decided that my *treat* would be a pack of gum. I needed the sugar taste so I would just go through the pack-- sure it is 90 calories but it feels like a treat and is a lot better than a donut. And it keeps my mouth busy. Say I purchase stuff for the week, I won't be tempted to eat it while unpacking if I have gum in my mouth.

BooBear2071
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
My pedometer. I love it. I am always trying to make it move up. So, I'm constantly walking in place just to see that sucker increase, therefore getting in more activity and more calories burned. \

I don't have a pedometer, but I remember my brother (who is thin) has always had this sick thing that he moves his feet even when lying down. It is like a nervous habit. So I have started doing that (like if I am watching TV on the couch) and then from that I realised I had a ton of *down time at work* when I was just standing or sitting waiting for someone and it suddenly occured to me that I could pace, and I have ever since. I think it does make a large difference -- I swear my lower legs are stronger.

Runundefined
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
What a great thread!
I hope it keeps going..

I do something I am sure everyone has heard about.. but I am not sure how much most actually use it..

I am the QUEEN of visualization. I started last year. At first I wrote down a paragraph and would read it first thing in the morning and last thing at nite. then I laminated the paragraph and carried it in my purse. Now.. whenever I feel depressed or tempted I can almost instantly take myself to that vision and it REALLY works.. there is some kind of mental shift.

It takes work and being diligent..
but it is wonderful..
and one day I am going to be there..not just think about being there.

watchhershrink
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
tell yourself everyday how beautiful you are.

royalsfan1
04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Someone on here once said something that I have embraced and claimed. It's also the only place I've ever heard it...sorry I can't remember who you are!

She said to learn to enjoy hunger....that she would tell herself "this is what it feels like to shrink." That means a lot to me because there are certain times (like right now, for instance!) that I am truly hungry but can't eat for some reason (it's too late...my last bite occurs before 7:00) and so I just focus on how it feels to take control of my situation and I just tell myself that I'm shrinking RIGHT NOW. Weird, but it works for me!

CyberGypsy
04-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Altoid mints.... if i have one they are so strong that i will not eat, untill the pepermint taste goes away :)

becoming wisdom
04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Two things for me:

1) If I think I'm hungry, I ask myself what exactly am I hungry for?
-activity, something to chew on, veggies, solid protein, just a little fat, water, something liquid but not water, something sweet, real chocolate? These are all valid answers, with healthy solutions. Typical solutions (in order):
-playing piano, chewing gum, huge salad, leftover roast, 3 almonds, water, chai raspberry-leaf tea, apple, (70% cocoa solids) chocolate square.

I allow myself the one item. If I'm not satisfied afterward, then I need to do better analysis next time, and not eat something else (-unless it's meal/ snack time). This way, I try to learn my real needs.

2) I know that pretty much all animals testable seem to live 50% longer than normal, and don't seem to get the typical diseases of aging, if they eat about 30% less than they would normally feed themselves. Lately a large-sample, well-rated study came out which confirms this for humans, too!

So now I'm trying to move toward "what will be just enough?" to replace "what makes me feel comfortably well fed?" My grandparents used to say, "Push away from the table, BEFORE you feel done!" They lived long, very healthy lives.... Now, I understand!

carolr3639
04-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Sewing. I haven't used that one for awhile but for years I found sewing a good way to lose weight because I would not think about eating. I wanted to finish whatever I was making. I haven't sewed much in recent years but the knitting idea made me think of this.

southernleftylady
04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
When I get the urge to eat something thats not good for me.. I write in my diet journal :)
about my goal and how great it will be to be skinny again..
i dont write about what i want to eat or what i am missing.. but write about my goal :)

jentexas
04-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Don't eat standing up ... I had (have) a problem when I get home from work, going to the pantry or fridge and grabbing something to eat ... I dont think it matters what it is ... I just got in the habit of having a handful of a snack when I get home. Now, if I want a snack ... I grab some and go sit in the living room, that way I'm not tempted to grab a 2nd handful (which I used to ALWAYS do). And by the time I'm done with my snack, I'm playing with my dog or watching tv and forget that I was bored and "thought" I was hungry.

Goodbye Chubby
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Don't eat standing up

I don't have a tip, but that reminded me of something my father told me when I was little (and much more gullible). He said that if I ate standing up, my food would go all the way down and my toes would get really fat. As a kid, I was skeptical, but the thought was scary enough to make me want to sit. :p

Idealperson
04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I have a few:

When I get home from work-that's my snacky-feeling time... I put on a Crest White Strip, they have to be on for 30 minutes. By then, the urge to eat is over and it's time to start supper!

I love oatmeal (in the single serving packets) for breakfast. So instead of adding milk, sugar, etc...I add a tablespoon of fat-free cool whip to the cooked oatmeal. It makes it creamy and sweet at the same time with out many calories!

Also, Suduko puzzles! They keep my habnds busy and my mind on something besides food!

Highest weight 209#
Today's weight 151#
Lifetime WW Member since 1/04

carolineintx
04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
If I get a craving I will try to distract myself, usually by cleaning, but I also will sometimes pick up my phone and call a friend I haven't talked to in awhile, I get caught up on their lives and usually by then the craving is gone. And I try to only keep 'good' foods on hand so if I need to give in, usually I'm just snacking on sugar free jello or something like that.