Weight Loss Support - Must give up coffee !!!!!!!

View Full Version : Must give up coffee !!!!!!!

Mattt
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I know... I know....
Coffee is evil. It's far from being a healthy beverage and I also admit that i hate sweeteners so I'm destroying my diet with the sugar...
What can I do ?
I'm addicted to coffee and can't find a decent substitute...
Any suggestion ?
I guess that im not the first man alive trying to give up coffee... What did u do in this situation...?

phantastica
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Can you handle it plain, or with milk? I had to quit getting mochas and lattes and switch to a regular coffee with milk in it (1 or 2%, not skim).

Maybe you could wean yourself off of it by reducing the amount of sugar or sweetener you add each week.

aphil
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I agree with the fact that you CAN still have a bit of sugar in your coffee-as long as you:
~limit the amount of sugar
~limit the cups of coffee

This will cut it down drastically. If you normally have 2 teaspoons in each cup of coffee, and have 3 cups a day....cut it down to 1 teaspoon in each cup, and limit your consumption to 2 cups a day. This would take your sugar from 6 teaspoons a day, down to 2.

alinnell
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't think I could ever give up coffee altogether. I usually drink it black, so the calories/fat from sugar/cream are not a problem. And I only have 2 cups a day, so I can't see that the caffeine is a problem, either. What is a problem is when MIL brings over a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream! It's hard to resist that in my coffee! Perhaps that is part of my holiday weight gain.

ennay
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
coffee is not evil.

Slowly wean yourself off the cream and sugar and you'll be fine. I've gone from an old habit of 2 sugars and 2 creams to either just a bit of milk and occasionally 1/2 t sugar to black depending on how good the coffee is.

Switch to a milder roast and you wont need as much sugar.

I usually get dec

Suzanne 3FC
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm on day 5 without coffee :hyper: I did finally learn to love it without any sweeteners, but I still had to have my cream. Now I'm attempting to go vegan for the week so cream is out, and I'd just rather not have the coffee without it :lol:

Matt, I've taken to drinking tea. Hot, unsweetened tea.

nelie
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I used to be a major iced tea addict with sweeteners, although I used artificial sweeteners and not sugar. I went from 1 packet of sweet n low, to half, to just a pinch, to nothing in a couple months. I bet you could wean yourself off of sugar as well.

mandalinn82
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm another one on the "you don't have to give up coffee" team. You do need to limit your sweeteners to a limited number of calories, however. 1 tsp of sugar, however, only has 15 calories. If you had two cups a day, each with a tsp of sugar, you'd only be adding 30 calories to your day. No, those 30 calories aren't the most nutrient-laden ones, and there are better 30-cal choices, but it isn't that many total, so it really might not be a problem for you.

Have you experimented with different sweetners and/or sugar free flavored syrups? Monin makes a ton of sugar free syrups in all manner of flavors, if your opposition to artificial sweeteners has to do with taste.

There are actually a lot of studies which have shown health benefits to coffee consumption...check out this summary from WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/content/article/80/96454.htm. A few of the benefits: a reduction in diabetes risk, a decrease in risk for Parkinsons, gallstones, colon cancers, and others. There is no reason that coffee can't be included in a healthy diet unless you are sensitive to the caffeine or it stalls your weight loss.

lilybelle
02-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I can eat less food easier than drink less coffee. I use splenda in mine and am careful to use just 1 tsp. (13 calories) of my creamer. I know that by the end of the day, I've had an extra 52 calories from my coffee with cream, but I allow for it anyway.

AquaWarlock
02-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Another one who can't go without coffee and don't consider it evil (that's what the bag of beans are telling me to say, haha!). I usually put in one pack of splenda & a splash of 1% milk in mine (though for the lighter blends I can do black).

But to answer your question, if you want to get off coffee, you can either switch to tea (much less caffeine) or wean yourself off by making your coffee weaker and weaker until you're practically drinking just hot water (there's always coffee substitutes too made with chicory, soybeans, barley, etc., but being chicory, soybeans and barley, they don't really taste like coffee :D)

I also saw your diet blog ~ it seems you're in a healthy weight range already and don't have much to lose -- so I think it's probably better to cut off other foods and/or increase activities, since coffee's caloric contribution is pretty trivial unless you really load it up with sugar/cream and drink copious amounts of it.

zoritsa
02-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh my gosh....I could never give up my beloved coffee :coffee2: I do however drink it black now,with an occasional cream and splenda for a special treat.

Nikaia
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
*dies* I couldn't give up coffee. My christmas present from my grandparents was an espresso machine and bean grinder. I LOVE my espresso. Not daily, necessarily, but two or three or four times a week. Yes, I add sugar - if you've ever had straight espresso, you'll understand that you CAN'T drink espresso without sugar. You'll fry your taste buds. ;) But I consider that I only have it a few times a week, and I'm only adding a couple spoonfuls of sugar, so...where's the harm in it? Better I make my espresso at home and add sugar than I go to Starbucks and get super-sugary high-fat caramel drinks.

mandalinn82
02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
if you've ever had straight espresso, you'll understand that you CAN'T drink espresso without sugar. You'll fry your taste buds.

Oh I disagree! Straight shots of espresso are fab without sugar...they just seem so delicately sweet naturally. Not all the time, but its not undrinkable.

That said, my default espresso drink is an americano with 2 splendas. Heaven in a cup.

Nikaia
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I guess it depends on how strong you make it. I make mine very, very strong. Puts hair on your chest kind of strong.

Gawd, I miss Italian espresso. *sigh*

aphil
02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
My husband drinks triple espressos-BOLD/STRONG-no sugar. As a matter of fact, when we started dating, he had no hair on his chest at all. almost 10 years later...he has a light hairy chest.

Libby1972
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I was chronic once myself. I would easily add 200 - 300 calories to each cup I drank.

What I now do is drink an 8 oz cup of hazelnut or some other yummy flavor and use 1 packet of sugar and 1 little pack of half and half. It's 4 grams of fat and about 60 calories. I savor that cup. I drink tea the rest of the day.

jcatron243
02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I love coffee. I love straight shots of esspresso, non-fat sugar free caramel lattes, regular coffee. . .I LOVE IT!!!! I generally drink my coffee with flavored sugar free creamer (can I say the name??) anyhow, I switched to the sugar free and I believe it is 15 calories per tbs. I stick to the serving size per every other cup (generally I have 4 cups and I fill the other second and fourth before the other is gone).

EZMONEY
02-08-2007, 08:37 PM
NEVER ~ NEVER ~ NEVER ~ EVER GIVE UP COFFEEE! LEARN TO DRINK IT BLACK! I DID...I used to have 1 sugars per 10 ounce cup..I gave the sugar up and after a week I LOVED my coffee black.

EZMONEY
02-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Oh I disagree! Straight shots of espresso are fab without sugar...they just seem so delicately sweet naturally. Not all the time, but its not undrinkable.

That said, my default espresso drink is an americano with 2 splendas. Heaven in a cup.

Espresso? Oh yeah, you live UP THERE...come down here, south of L.A., We don't allow that "stuff" ;) FOLGERS BABY!! :D

almostheaven
02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I could never stomach coffee myself. But I am a tea drinker. And I've always used artificial sweetners but wanted to get off that kick. It was hard at first. I put in just enough sugar to make it a bit less sweeter than I would normally drink it then kept cutting back from there. I now use 1 tsp. to about a 12 oz. cup of green tea. When I eat out, I get half sweet and half unsweet, and often find I have to get them to add more of the unsweet because it's simply TOO sweet. But I've never been able to stomach it just plain. I have to have SOME sweetner in there.

Gary all hubby drinks is Foldgers, but you and he would not get along. He has to have his 20 oz. cup of 1 1/2 tsp. of Foldgers instant with EIGHT tsp. of sugar. ICK! He likes a little coffee with his sugar. Then it's Mtn. Dew for the rest of the day. Double ICK.

Eves
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I have given up cigarettes.

I have given up white bread.

I have given up bakeries.

Take away my coffee and someone will die. I take mine black though. Everything else detracts from the sweet sweet caffeine.

ArtsyGirl
02-09-2007, 07:51 AM

Take away my coffee and someone will die. I take mine black though. Everything else detracts from the sweet sweet caffeine.

Thanks for the first laugh of the day! I could not have expressed my feelings any better!...."sweet sweet caffeine":rofl:

nelie
02-09-2007, 07:58 AM
almostheaven - Have you ever tried making iced tea yourself? I mix herbal teas that are naturally sweet with black iced tea. In California, you always seem to have a choice of a fruit iced tea or black iced tea, sweet tea was a foreign idea to me. I never thought I could give up my sweet n low or splenda in my tea but I did eventually get used to it. My beloved chai can even be drank without sweetener/cream.

Alright
02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Susanne, you mentioned going vegan and not using the cream in your coffee. I recently bought the Silk Vanilla Soymilk and it was really good in my coffee.

Matt, I kind of believe we all need our vices, and if coffee is the worst of it, don't fret. If it's a difficult thing to drop, just keep working on your diet and see if it really is something important to change. You might find it is the one vice you need to keep. We don't have to be perfect. Now if you are drinking 3 frappacinos each day, maybe something has to change.

almostheaven
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Nelie, I make green tea at home every day, but still can't take it without some sweetner. I've tried herbals before and had to sweeten those too. The only one so far that came close to being a drop sweet on it's own is my honey and lemon green tea. Yet it STILL needs sweetened. Just a hint though.

Mel
02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I have given up cigarettes.

:rofl: Hahaha, substitute pasta and potatoes for the cigarette and that's me, too.

I gave up coffee for my pregnancies, and briefly gave it up for a few months because somewhere I read that it stalled weight los. Nope. Didn't make any difference at all. If you are drinking 8-10 cups a day, please cut down for health reasons. But one or two cups, even a BIG MUG of the stuff isn't going to hurt you. :coffee:

I drink mine with a little container of 1/2 & 1/2 (10 calories) and a splash of flavored sugar free syrup. One mug of hi-test in the morning and a mug of decaf in the afternoon. I used to drink it black, but one day made the fatal mistake of adding some 12 and 1/2....whoa it tasted good! I'm at goal and can afford a few splurge calories.

Mel

chick_in_the_hat
02-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Take away my coffee? OUTTA MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!! I love it - two big mugs in the morning with fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar free toriani almond syrup. :T

EZMONEY
02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Excuse me CHICKY WITH THE HAT ~ but I think what you are drinking is a "desert" not coffee ;)

Ilene
02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I love my coffee... I love my Timmy's coffee 1/2 cream and sweetner is what I ask for... When I hear people ask for double/double or triple/triple I just want to :barf: ... I've tried drinking it black but it literally makes me gag I have no idea why :shrug:

chick_in_the_hat
02-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Excuse me CHICKY WITH THE HAT ~ but I think what you are drinking is a "desert" not coffee ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing....:?:

Humph *stomps off in a huff* :snooty:

alinnell
02-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Ummmm. I was working the Tour de Palm Springs charity bike ride this morning and sent a friend to Starbucks for me. I tried my first cafe Americano. Very yummy. I've never liked their regular coffee (tastes burnt) but this was great. Now I can enjoy something there that is calorie free (I used to do the sugar free vanilla non-fat latte, but that is such a long thing to order--especially if you throw in a triple vente!).

EZMONEY
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing....:?:

Humph *stomps off in a huff* :snooty:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

You're KILLIN' me CHICKY WITH THAT THING ON YOUR HEAD!

EZMONEY
02-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Ummmm. I was working the Tour de Palm Springs charity bike ride this morning and sent a friend to Starbucks for me. I tried my first cafe Americano. Very yummy. I've never liked their regular coffee (tastes burnt) but this was great. Now I can enjoy something there that is calorie free (I used to do the sugar free vanilla non-fat latte, but that is such a long thing to order--especially if you throw in a triple vente!).

OK, so Allison, I don't really see the need for Starbucks based on $$$$ alone, since I drink so much coffee, now on the other hand Angie (if she is drinking coffee ~ usually tea only) loves Starbucks...but then when she is finished ordering I feel like we could've just gone for ICE CREAM (see CHICKY IN THAT HAT THING).

PS ~ Angie and I "work" a lot of marathons and 5K's....question...I know why I work them (Angie runs FOR ME!!) 'cause I am lazy... and don't want to take the effort to train to run them (although I have done a marathon) but what is your excuse?

Angihas2
02-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I love coffee. I probably drink at least 2 pots a day, black. And, thats after I cut back. Thankfully, all the water I drink flushes it out quickly, more or less, but there's no way I'm giving it up.

Mattt
02-11-2007, 09:29 AM
First of all , thank u all for your comments !
I read all your suggestions and found most of them good for me.

Many of you suggested to cut down cream and sugar.... But won't it make me have headaches again (That's what happened when I cut coffee the last time.....Cold turkey way....) I guess that my body is used to an amount of sugar....

Mel
02-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Is coffee your only source of sugar? Probably not...

Yes, if you go totally sugar-free you will have withdrawal headaches most likely for a day or two, but they go away. If you cut caffeine AND sugar at the same time, it's worse. If you are really worried about sugar withdrawal from your coffee, just decrease the amount yu put in over a few days. Again, HOW MUCH coffee and sugar are you using?

If the rest of your nutrition has a lot of sugar or high fructose corn syrup, your body won't notice the missing sugar from the coffee if you are only talking about a teaspoon or two a day.

Mel

ennay
02-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Just cut back gradually and you shouldnt get a headache. Figure out how much total coffee and total sugar in the coffee you normally consume in a day. Drop it by about 20-25% and stay there for a week, drop it again. etc.

I get half-caff often too.

veggielover
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm another one on the "you don't have to give up coffee" team.

Count me in too!

I'll be honest about things- coffee isn't FAR FROM HEALTHY. Its just, if you consume so much, then it becomes a problem. In fact, I believe any food consumed in excess quanties isn't good (even certain vitamins!).

Beach Patrol
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm one of those "I like my cream & sugar with a little coffee in it" kind of chicks.

I use fat free half-n-half AND fat free french vanilla. I have learned to substitute two packets of Splenda or Equal for my sugar habit (6 tspns!!!!! :hyper: ) - I usually only have one cup a day (but it's one of those extra BIG cups, so it's more like TWO CUPS a day). I don't drink coffee throughout the day; only upon wakening after my daily shower. And I drink the 1/2 caffeine kind.

Otherwise, I drink 8oz of skim milk daily (usually with brekkie!) and the rest of the day, I drink water. Usually 4 liters a day. *sloshes when she walks*

aphil
02-12-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm one of those "I like my cream & sugar with a little coffee in it" kind of chicks.

I use fat free half-n-half AND fat free french vanilla. I have learned to substitute two packets of Splenda or Equal for my sugar habit (6 tspns!!!!! :hyper: ) - I usually only have one cup a day (but it's one of those extra BIG cups, so it's more like TWO CUPS a day). I don't drink coffee throughout the day; only upon wakening after my daily shower. And I drink the 1/2 caffeine kind.[/I]

Fat free half n half, vanilla flavored creamer, and two sweeteners? All of that work for 1/2 caff? :lol:

alinnell
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
OK, so Allison, I don't really see the need for Starbucks based on $$$$ alone, since I drink so much coffee, now on the other hand Angie (if she is drinking coffee ~ usually tea only) loves Starbucks...but then when she is finished ordering I feel like we could've just gone for ICE CREAM (see CHICKY IN THAT HAT THING).

PS ~ Angie and I "work" a lot of marathons and 5K's....question...I know why I work them (Angie runs FOR ME!!) 'cause I am lazy... and don't want to take the effort to train to run them (although I have done a marathon) but what is your excuse?

Excuse? I don't know if it's an excuse or not. I work the bike ride because my group has agreed to do it. It is a huge charity ride. The guy who put it all together donates a lot of money to charities around the valley. A lot of the charities are ones that my group already supports. If you volunteer to work the ride, he gives your charity a bit more money. Last year, he donated $2000 to my charity (we raise money for scholarships). Raising money is a difficult thing to do, and working this bike ride is one of the easier ways we have to raise money. My group has about 60 women and 75 girls and about half of us worked the ride this year. It'll be interesting to see just how much time we donated to this cause. So, it's not an excuse right now--I feel an obligation to work it. In 2 years when I am no longer part of my charity group, then I'll either do the ride or find an excuse not to!!

Mattt
02-15-2007, 05:05 AM
I wish I could change my habits and cut the cream and the sugar...
But I love my coffee as it is, as I used to....
:-(

aphil
02-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Well, I love full fat chocolate cake, too...but I have learned that an occasional slice of angel food cake (for a third of the fat and calories) is just going to have to be a reasonable replacement.

You can cut out the cream and sugar-even if you still love it that way. It doesn't mean you can't learn to "like it" without that...just because I don't eat chocolate cake, doesn't mean I don't like it. I sure as heck do...but my rear end and thighs don't. :lol:

Ilene
02-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree with Aphil, you can certainly LIVE without that cream and sugar... With baby steps going putting less and less of both or just one at a time eventually your taste buds will adjust...

Beach Patrol
02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Fat free half n half, vanilla flavored creamer, and two sweeteners? All of that work for 1/2 caff? :lol:

You go'head & laugh all you wanna! - But lemme tell ya! - you don't wanna SEE ME when I get that crazy wired like when I drink the "full leaded" kind! :crazy: :hyper: :tired: :yikes: :fr: :D

aphil
02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
:rofl:

Considering I recently went for 3 months on 2-3 hours of sleep a day...I needed it to even function...

Mattt
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Are you joking ? It sounds crazy !!!!

aphil
02-16-2007, 11:31 AM
It's called a newborn, who refused to sleep unless he was being "held". Namely, by me.

Not like a normal newborn who just gets up to eat, etc. at night-he literally would NOT sleep unless in my arms. My husband came home from work each evening, and held him while I took a nap. This was all the sleep I got for months...usually about 2 hours on weekdays...and 3 on weekends-because he was home from work, and I could get 2 small naps instead.