Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Shocking! A twinkie for a bite of vegetables??!!

Ok, not sure how to even put this...Did anyone see Dr. Phil today? A grandmother brought her overweight 4-year old grandson on the show (via taped recording) because she felt that his weight was out of control. She blamed her daughter for some of it. Then we find out that the grandma is feeding the grandson twinkies all the time, and even worse, she uses them as a bribe. If the kid ate one bite of green beans, she would give him have a twinkie as a reward.

Ok, um, despite the fact that half a bite of green beans is not going to do much for the kid -- This also makes NO SENSE calorie-wise! Sometimes you have to wonder what is going on in our country these days...
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

HMMM, I didn't see the show but did Dr Phil say anything about the bribes??
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
Ok, not sure how to even put this...Did anyone see Dr. Phil today? A grandmother brought her overweight 4-year old grandson on the show (via taped recording) because she felt that his weight was out of control. She blamed her daughter for some of it. Then we find out that the grandma is feeding the grandson twinkies all the time, and even worse, she uses them as a bribe. If the kid ate one bite of green beans, she would give him have a twinkie as a reward.

Ok, um, despite the fact that half a bite of green beans is not going to do much for the kid -- This also makes NO SENSE calorie-wise! Sometimes you have to wonder what is going on in our country these days...
OMG yes...and then she is berating the mom. Uhhhh yeahhhhhhh.

And then "but you've never been a grandmother" sob sob I coulda slapped her silly.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Grandma sounds like a case...

They are probably canned green beans, too. bleah.

What did Dr. Phil say?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

you'd be amazed at the parenting out there. I know people who think sausage and hot dogs are better options for their kids because "its the only meat they eat" who look at me as if I am harming my dd because her protein choices are almond butter, hummus, dairy, whole grains and only the occasional bite of chicken (she doesnt like meat right now)

And who think I am a bad mom because if she doesnt eat her dinner I wont keep offering food after food after food until she eats.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Oh Dr Phil reamed them of course. It was cool to see the followup on that kid from 4 years ago. (He was 187 at 4 years old, now he is 8 and down to 100)
Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #7  
Losin' it forever!

I saw the show and thought it was amazing. Had HUGE issues too with the obese parents, mostly the mom, crying over their obese son. Fact is, it was obvious that mom needed to take some control in that family and of herself. I know it is easier said than done, but when you hear someone worrying to death about their son, but you can look at the parents and KNOW that no one in that family is eating properly and the kid is just going to mirror mom and dad, not to mention that he has no choices about what they put in front of him. He was simply not learning any other way to eat!

Grandma annoyed me too and so did mom to an extent. Basically with the twinkle thing, grandma got all teary and said that Dr. Phil didn't know what it was like to be a grandmother and have her grandson begging for something and her not being permitted to give it to him. The good doc basically told her that she then gave the kid bad food that could be detrimental to his health in order to alleviate her guilt.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #8  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Ugh! I have a friend who does that! She had Irish twins born - 1/1/2006 & 12/28/2006. The 1 year old she gets to stop crying by feeding her pizza and cheese and whatever else her and her boyfriend stuff their face with. I was wondering if i was the only one who saw a problem with this? She herself is overweight and moans that she wished someone had taught her to eat better earlier in life. She says she will stop- but right now, pizza, cheese, and chewy candy is the only thing that will stop her babes wails.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I was really annoyed at the baby's mother. If she chooses to be obese, so be it, but she has no right to do this to her son. He cant get food unless she gives it to him, so I blame this 100% on her.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
I was really annoyed at the baby's mother. If she chooses to be obese, so be it, but she has no right to do this to her son. He cant get food unless she gives it to him, so I blame this 100% on her.
Which one? In both cases today there were TWO people pushing junk food on the kids. The grandma and the dad were equally to blame.

Yes the mom should have stepped in, but it would be really hard if the primary care provider (in this case it was a stay at home DAD) is deliberately sabotaging your efforts.

What pissed me off is in BOTH cases the adults were using the kid and food as a way to express hostility to eachother. In the mom/grandma case it was obvious. In the husband/wife case DrPhil didnt call them on it, but come on. The wife is pushing and the husband is sneaking 7-10 cookies into the kids room? That is passive agressive behavior if I ever saw it. He is pissed at the mom (maybe because he is a SAHD?) and taking it out on the kid. He should be slapped stupid.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think what the grandmother said was ironic - blaming mom, yet saying how hard it was not to give a kid what they begged for, yet I sympathize with the whole family. Childhood obesity isn't much simpler than adult obesity.

My parents didn't have the best nutrition sense, but by far not the worst. We almost always had two veggies at each meal, and rarely had dessert. Mom and Grandma where heavy (but thin into adulthood) and yet I was the only one of four kids to be overweight as a kid (morbidly obese by fifth grade). My brother and I were adopted, and our youngest sisters are my parents biological kids. I think biology and dieting played the biggest role in my weight, and yet I know my parents had great difficulty controlling what I ate and how active I was. I was literally obsessed with food by the age of 7, most likely because of being put on my first diet (and going off my first diet) in kindergarten. I was very cunning in finding ways to get more food, and in kidergarten even accidentally ate ant poison because it came on a sugar cube attached to paper, just like the "candy" (polio vaccine) I'd seen given to some of the kids at school.

Being adopted, I have no idea what my genetic heritage is regarding obesity, but I have my suspicions. Not saying I (and as a child my parents) didn't have any control or responsibility regarding my weight, activity level, or food intake; but it is a lot more complicated and difficult than it seems.

The most unfortunate aspect of childhood obesity, and many other problems that begin in childhood, is the reluctance of families to try to find help, until things have gotten far out of hand (and often not even then). Admitting that outside help (especially if it includes family counseling) is needed, is often the last resort instead of the first.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

ennay-I agree with you.

My son, now 5, went trhough a stage where he would not eat meat-from toddlerhood until he was about 4. It was because meat requires so much "chewing" and when you swallow it, is isn't dissolved as much as fruit, grains, etc. are. It was a texture thing.
My son ate a lot of yogurt, peanut butter, and other things to get protein instead. He could very easily be a vegetarian.
My kids are all thin-my daughter wears an 8 slim. They eat a LOT. It isn't genetics (because I have weight issues, and dh can gain weight if he doesn't exercise, etc.) it is because I have always given them healthier foods, and they are active.
They have kids exercise videos, they have a swingset, they walk with us outdoors-they do active things.
I went as a chaperone a couple years ago to a farmer's market with my daughter's class...and the farmer was showing all of the kids the produce. What astonished me, was how many 5 year olds knew what a basic potato and an apple were-but none of them knew what a bell pepper, a kiwi fruit, a mango, and other fruits and vegetables WERE, and had never tasted them!!!!!!! I bet, however, that they all knew what a donut and Lucky Charms were.

I think that parents learn SOOO much from their families about nutrition and physical activity. My inlaws think I am torturing my kids-because my son enjoys chocolate soymilk, and he eats raw blueberries like they were M&Ms. He always has.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I actually saw the show from the gym and arrived toward the end of their segment, so perhaps I shouldnt be commenting.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I saw this show and what came to me is unless the parents are willing to set a good example and eat healthy food, the kids don't have a chance. As a parent you can't eat junk in front of a kid and expect them not to want it. It also struck me about the "lock" on the kitchen cabinets. They don't need a lock if the food in there is healthy.

I can't say that I've always offered the most healthy choices in my home like I do now. But, my kids have adjusted. They eat what I do. They won't starve if they don't get twinkies, little debbies, honey buns and pizza.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
As a parent you can't eat junk in front of a kid and expect them not to want it. It also struck me about the "lock" on the kitchen cabinets. They don't need a lock if the food in there is healthy.
Excellent point. My kids can eat whatever they want-because our fridge is filled with fruit, yogurt, and other snacks for them. A Happy Meal is a special thing for them, not like one of my neighbors, who I see carrying in a Mickey-D's sack each afternoon with her kid. If a child grows up eating fast food 4 times a week, most likely they are going to continue into adulthood with similar habits.

What children learn when they are young is what they tend to carry on through life with...and if that childhood is one bite of green beans=a twinkie....well, that is what they are learning.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote