Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Whole food February Chat

Hi everybody,

It seems like the daily menu thread has died a slow death and I don't seem to see people around as much. So how is everyone doing? Any new finds or insights? What are you struggling with?

My 16 month old DD has somehow learned about cookies. Well, OK, I had a moment of weakness and gave her one of my triple ginger snaps (for medicinal purposes only--morning sickness you know). Anyway, she's been hounding me non-stop for the last week to get her a cookie, and I've been resisting, but it gets old. I discovered a couple days ago if I give her a mini whole wheat pita that I picked up at Trader Joe's that she was perfectly happy! Hurray! Not sure how long that will work, but it is good for now.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I've been browsing around the threads and think the whole foods is what I'm looking for. My husband was diganosed with high cholesterol and I've been looking for a good place to read and post. I need to lose weight and with his medical condition I think the whole foods will help us both.

I really need to start exercising more regulally too. It sounds like you have a nice group here and I hope I can join in and start posting here.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

I'm here ... I've been MIA for a while (and gaining weight, of course), but my life has settled down a bit and I'm easing back into more whole-foods choices. 3-pound loss at TOPS this week!

My challenges: saying no to unexpected treats at work, getting back into the habit of planning meals and cooking. Oh, and exercise. Exercise is always a challenge, and the last thing I want to do.

My successes: twice this past week I've chosen healthier meals in restaurants, at least to the point where I didn't have that "oops! blew it!" feeling after I ate. I've been bringing my lunches to work every day and eating breakfast at home instead of choosing restaurant food.

New finds/insights: I need to incorporate more beans/lentils into my diet, so I decided to start with lentils and making lentil soup. I found an easy recipe and have cooked it twice, changing it a bit for variety. It, along with some reheated steamed vegetables, makes for a good daily lunch at work.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Hey guys,
I'm doing the Sonoma diet, just started 3 days ago, and we've got a menu thread if going over there if anyone wants to post on it. I know it's really been helping me because I know that I am going to be held accountable for anything that goes in my mouth!
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #5  

Just adding another post to the thread.

I just can't do a daily menu thread--I'm an obsessive list-maker at home; if I add more list-making in another medium I won't have any time to actually live my life.

Oh--and I discovered that tossing avocado pieces and grated manchego cheese (I'm sure cheddar would work, too) into ww pasta and veggies is really yummy.

Thanks for the hello's on the other thread.
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #6  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning. I think I'd like to join you for awhile. I'm not familiar with the books mentioned, but I do know where the library is.

I grew up in a whole foods household but hated it as a child. I'm trying to eat healthier, way far from being there, but on the voyage.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Annette
I first saw you on the calorie counting thread. I just cna't count calories. It's too time consuming for me. I think the whole foods will fit me better.

I found the whole foods thread yesterday and I've been reading up on it on the internet. I guess I might have to make a trip to the library too to see if they have the books.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for starting a thread, Anne!

I strive daily to eat my whole foods and usually do a pretty good job of it. I'm sure there are areas where I could improve, though. I'm also a calorie counter and try to stay low fat. Yesterday my calories came in a bit low (1115) so after dinner I ate a handful of raisins. I don't know if that put me up to 1200 or not, but the sweetness was nice for dessert (I didn't have any dark chocolate around).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

I'm a list-maker, too. I feel that way about fitday.com - a little too much fussin' around. I'll do it once in a while just to see where my nutrition's at, but it's too much work for any real consistency.

I think the whole-foods approach is pretty simple.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I've found a whole foods weight loss plan on the internet. I obsess when counting calories. This just says to eat until you are full and gives fruits and veggies to do this.

Looking forward to getting to know you.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Hi CeeJay, I'd love it if you could PM me with a link. I'm not sure if it's a conflict of interest to post something of that nature on 3FC or not.

I tend to do that, choose an appropriate amount of food from other food groups and 'round out' the meal with a bunch of vegetables. My new motto should be "when in doubt, veg out". hee hee
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi all

Great idea of a general type of thread, Anne.

I try to eat mostly whole foods, and do fairly well except when I get too busy and stressed, as last night when my car was in the shop, not ready til nearly 5, and I had to get it, drive 3 miles home to change, and then 40 minutes to be at a meeting by 6. It was close. And of course, there was another 5 minutes walking in from the parking lot since I got there late. Grrr.

Welcome to the new comers! Check out your local library for the books. I'm the director of ours, and we have them!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I hope no one minds if I pop in. I am by no means new to 3fc, but I am most certainly new to this forum. I'm not sure why I haven't looked here before. Hmm. Anyway, I wouldn't say that I stick STRICTLY to whole foods, but for the most part I do. Does that make sense? I have been eating mostly low fat proteins and tons and tons of salad and veggies. I do have my morning cereal (Fiber one) and for lunch most days I eat Morning Star Farms soy products and veggies.

I made a simply wonderful dinner last night. I baked my spaghetti squash in the oven. I then sauteed in a little olive oil thinly sliced onion, then browned cut up chicken breast which I spiced up with garlic powder and onion powder. I usually use fresh garlic but I was lazy. I then added some tomato sauce, crushed red pepper and the spaghetti squash. It was delicious. Like restaurant quality delicious. Like good enough to serve to company delicious. And super, duper easy.

I have a question. I hope someone can help me. I like beans but only sparingly. I'd love to start adding them to my salads and tomato sauces and the such. I've always used canned beans for their ease. My question is since I only use it sparingly I don't use a whole can. How long will it remain fresh for if I refrigerate it and cover it well? Will it last a week? Longer? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oops, I have another question. What books are you all talking about?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #14  
hara hachi bu

Hi Robin ... I'm not a perfect whole-foods consumer either, but I strive to be. I don't think anyone is very elitist about it here.

I love that dinner idea! It sounds delish.

There's a sticky on the Whole Foods Forum that offers a list of books.

I'm not sure on your beans question, but I bet a google search would result in some answers.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I find that beans do spoil pretty quickly when opened, so I try to use a whole can, or at least in a day or two. I don't know how they freeze, but I do freeze soup that has beans in it with no problem. I'd just try freezing the leftovers - they're not that expensive, so if it doesn't work you can just toss them. I love to warm up beans before I add them to a salad, esp if I'm using salsa and lf sour cream for dressing. The warm beans make the dressing "runnier" and thus you need less....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote