South Beach Diet - Phase I - Week of February 4th

View Full Version : Phase I - Week of February 4th

Ruthxxx
02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Whether you are just starting out or on the home stretch for Phase I, this thread is for you to share ideas, menus and victories.

Nikki128
02-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Morning Everyone-

Even with all my questions I made it to day 8 of Phase 1. Today was my weigh in day and I lost 5 lbs this week. :dance:
I am so glad I found South beach and all of you. Today I am going to work on adding more veggies and dairy to my diet.

Ruth
Thank you so much for your help this week..

Nikki

Ruthxxx
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Good work, Nikki! :cheer:

Nikki128
02-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks ruth. I am sitting here eating an almond rasberry ricotta dish. I used the egg white like you suggested and it turned out much better. I used the almond ricotta recipe and added a splash of rasberry extract. Delicious :)

Nikki

Shenanigans
02-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Well... I am still here. I kinda went off phase last night (probably off the entire program actually). But, I got back to my routine today! Yesterday morning when I weighed in I was down 6lbs from last Sunday! Today... the scale was showing a slight increase. But I know my body and the scale... tomorrow morning should be close to what it was on Sunday. This just serves as a reminder of what those fast carbs can do to your body and how eating right helps.

I don't know if I am going to move on to P2 after this week or stick to P1 for a few more days... I'll wait and see how I am doing.

Nikki128
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Way to go on your loss Shennigans

Nikki

babygrant
02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm starting on Wednesday :) I have to go grocery shopping tommorow.

Nikki128
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
babygrant- Welcome. What are you planning to buy this week?

Nikki

Shenanigans
02-06-2007, 09:11 AM
alright... I am determined to go to the gym today and to go shopping for P1 foods. The cold has been my excuse for not doing either of those things and the result is I haven't been to the gym in a few days and all of my P1 food is disappearing and all I have is food that isn't anywhere on SB.

I hope everyone else has a great day and doesn't allow the cold to keep you from doing what you have to do!

Nikki128
02-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Shenanigans -

Good for you on going to the gym. I have not been able to exercise much. I have a neurological disorder which when acting up makes it hard to even walk. I hope the lack of exercise doesnt sabotage me.

Anyhow, I am going to make myself a veggie omelet with some cheese and salsa for breakfast. also a glass of skim milk. Today is my busy day so I eat dinner at lunch and lunch at dinner. I don't get in from class until 8 so I only eat something small. I hate eating past 8 pm.

I hope everyone is having a good day :)

Oh.. is any alcohol allowed on phase 2? I am going out for a special event feb 17 and would like to have a drink.I have not buffed up on Phase II foods to much yet.

Thanks
Nikki

JoviMom
02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Hello!

I am new to SB but not to 3FC. I was a Low Carber back in 2003-2005 on the Atkins forums.

I cant remember my username and all my email info has changed since then so I am starting Fresh.

Today is day one on SB. I printed out a bunch of info today and spent a better part of yesterday hunting for the book. I am heading to Target today to see if they have it once I drop the kids off at school. I guess everyone around here is on SB!

Oh, I am Karen, SAHM/WAHM of 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in WA State. I am a Crochet and Knit pattern designer.

I have been on and off diets all my life. In 2003, I was diagnosed as insulin resistant. My doctor recommended Atkins and I started my low carb life. I lost 66 pounds and kept it off unti march of 2006, when I started having Asthma Trouble. I have been off and on Prednisone since then and have gained (as of yesterday) 35 pounds! ACK! Yesterday was my last of the latest round of prednisone so I am going to GNC to buy so L-Glutimine to help with the cravings that prednisone can cause to linger, and start day one of SB Phase 1.

I know a lot of that weight is water. I also know that because I was not allowed to exercise since august that my muscle tone has gone to fat. I am still not allowed to exercise.. but I plan to remedy that next week. I have an appt with an ENT to get a 2nd opinion on my sinuses and hopefully end this battle with prednisone! :)

I am looking forward to meeting you all and posting with you!

grannyjc
02-06-2007, 11:06 AM
I just started over on phase 1 of sbd. I lost 8 pounds in 9 days, then got to a stand still and gained 2 pounds back. So I am going to try and do phase 1 again, and get in more exercises. I started out at 170 and am down to 164. I can't wait to get down below 160. If the weather would get warm I could start walking. It is fun to see what other people are doing on the diet. Joyce

Nikki128
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
:welcome3:

grannyjc and JoviMom

I am Nikki. I started South Beach Last Monday and have lost 4-5 lbs so far. I had a slight blip today. I am a 28 year old graduate student. My goal is by May to lose 20 lbs so I can look great walking for graduation. I had taken off 31 lbs so far doing various changes. However, I was at a 6 month plateau and decided to try South beach. So far I lost the Christmas gain which was 5 lbs . I did this in one week. :carrot:

I look forward to getting to know you both
Nikki

Schatzi
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
:welcome: Jovi and Granny!
Jovi -I love your attitude! Prednisone is such a harsh drug. I hope you get off it jiffy quick

Nikki - you can have up to 2 glasses of wine on phase 2 :hat: enjoy!

Nikki128
02-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Schatzi - No other alcohol? I am allergic to wine. I may have to stray and just have one drink then pop right back on track.

ise702
02-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi I am new to 3FC. I started my phase one yesterday. I feel real good and motivated going into day three. I was wondering...because I really love beans. am I allowed to use cyanne pepper. because I also love really spicy things as well. but I can do without it. I don't weigh in until day 10 so I hope to see you all there...

Ruthxxx
02-06-2007, 12:17 PM
:welcome: ISE702. Go right ahead and hot up those beans! I love them hot too! I think cayenne pepper is in the list of Phase I Foods. If not, it should be!

Schatzi
02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes Yes Welcome ISE! :welcome3:

Nikki- all the other alcohols are listed in the Good Carb Good Fats handbook as Very Rarely or Avoid. This is because they are made of distilled grains... Beer being the absolute worst of all of them.
Mixed drinks usually contain fruit juices which are also limited or "allowed" rarely.
Try to make the best choices possible..I'm sure one night of imbibbing will not ondo all your hard work.

JoviMom
02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Still cannot find the book anywhere! it is crazy.. but it looks like there is a lot of information here that will help me get started anyway!! :) Already had my eggs and spinach for breakfast!

babygrant
02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
WOO! I did my grocery shopping today! Only thing I never bought from the grocery store was ground turkey! DAMN its expensive. The chicken was even more expensive. For a tiny little package of it, it was $5.39. Yeeeeouch! I don't need it until next Sunday though so I will go and buy some on Saturday. I'm excited to get started!

So how will I feel on day 1, 2, 3, 4? Headache? Dizzy? Nauseated? Just to give me a heads up.

Nikki128
02-06-2007, 07:46 PM
babygrant-

I actualy feel energized going through phase 1.

Nikki

Shellyknits
02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and very glad to find this group! I started SB last Monday, so this is day 9 for me. I've lost 9 pounds! Truthfully, the first 3 days were really rough on me! I never thought I'd make it this far, but now I'm feeling very good. I am a huge knitter (love it, it's therapy for me), but I couldn't even knit the first 3 days! On day 4 I kinda felt like I'd come out of a fog. My husband is being a dear. He has promised me a manicure every week I stay on plan. Had my first one Sunday. I didn't even worry about messing it up at the Y knowing that I'd get another one on Sunday! Sugar free Jello has really been my friend as I miss fruit something terrible.

Looking forward to chatting with you all more,

Shelly

Shenanigans
02-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone!

Well I went to the gym, went food shopping, and made taco bake last night... and I am down to what I weighed last week before I went to the Superbowl party and eating chips, beerbread and crab dip... among other munchies. So... that is good news. I am feeling healthy again!

It sounds like all of you are doing well so far. Remember to look at the 'FAQs' and the Meal Idea pages. There are a lot of good ideas and valuable information on here for everyone at all phases.

have a good day on the Beach!

Ruthxxx
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
:welcome: Shelly and Babygrant! We're glad you are hanging out on the Beach.

Shenanigans, great recovery from the Super Bowl! It sounds like you had a wonderful yesterday.

Nikki128
02-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Shenanigans - Nice job

:welcome3: Shelly

I am here stil treking along. My blip is gone today. I can't believe I am on day 11 and I have not cheated once. I feel great !

Nikki

Shenanigans
02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
YAAY Nikki! That is great!

Nikki128
02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
We so rock Shenanigans !!!!!!

greenbay04
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi everybody! My name is Andrea and my husband and I just started SBD yesterday. I have lurked around 3FC before on other boards but never been a regular poster. This time though I think I will be posting a lot because I will be needing a lot of support! You all sound like a great group and VERY supportive. Everyone keep up the great work and I will be talking to you all very soon!

babygrant
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Welcome Greenbay04!

I just started the SBD today actually! Had my very first breakfast. :D I made an omlette with 3 eggs, 1/8th green pepper, 4 mushrooms, and 2 turkey sausages squeezed out of their casing. I managed to eat 1/2 of the omlette before I was stuffed! I also drank 6 oz of V8 but that stuff tastes like crap! I had to plus my nose and chug it, then I had to do a water chase when I was finished. :dizzy: It must be an aquired taste.

Schatzi
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Wow Look at all the Newbies! :welcome3: Babygrant , Shellyknits and Greenbay.

While Nikki felt energized by Phase 1, :hyper: Shelly felt out of sorts.. :dizzy: ..Everybody is different! Most feel wonky, headachy, maybe lightheaded and foggy and have no energy. This will pass!

Babygrant, you and I must share the same taste buds lol.. I don't care for V8 :no: I love tomato juice (lower sodium) a splash of lemon, salt and pepper..DELISH!!!

Ok GALS, STICK WITH IT :cheer2:

Nikki128
02-07-2007, 11:16 AM
:welcome3: Greenbay.

I also don't like the taste of V8. I am so glad I am not alone :)I just realized I am going to miss you all when I finish Phase I. Is there a phase II thread we can move too at that point?

Nikki

Schatzi
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Nikki, we only do a phase 1 thread to help folks get started, ask questions, get and give support... After that, folks usually join into the daily thread, or post new threads for help with phase 2. There's lots of info on how to weave Phase 2 foods back into your diet, phase 2 food selections etc in the FAQ to help you too. However, if you want you can start a New to Phase 2 thread when you begin that step:)

babygrant
02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I made my first SBD lunch and it did NOT go good. I made a garden salad (lettuce, cabbage, celery, sugar peas, mushrooms, and 1/2 can tuna). The third bite I had to run to the bathroom because I was gagging so bad. So I just remade my lunch minus the tuna. I added some low fat turkey lunch meat instead. I love tuna casserole, HATE tuna sandwiches, and apparently hate tuna straight out of the can. I thought that I wouldn't really be able to taste the tuna since it was in a salad...but boy was I wrong. At least now I know, and I didn't just go and eat some pizza instead, I had another salad. :carrot:

Snack I had a long piece of celery stuffed with some low fat cheddar cheese. I couldn't believe how much a little piece of celery and cheese filled me up!

babygrant
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't know if it's normal but I already feel strange. My husband always describes it as a "hum". I feel like I'm in a hum. Kind of like I'm not really here. Dozzy. It's only 11:30.

Schatzi
02-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Babygrant -make sure you are eating enough... but what you are experiencing is a common side effect of refined carb/sugar withdrawl.

:rofl: I don't like many fish.. And the ones I do have to be breaded baked or fried..so I dont have it on the beach ... But TUNA ..my tastebuds hate it! Once every 10 years I might have a tuna with lots of mayo, celery and onion on toast...thats the only way I can eat it... Other than that -:barf:

JoviMom
02-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi Everyone!

I was hoping to get in here sooner today, but my morning ended up a little crazier than I thought it would be.

Day one went great! I am 1/2 way through day 2 and feeling pretty good now. I love having yogurt back in my diet! I missed it!

THe doctor gave me the go ahead to start walking, so tomorrow I have a trip to the gym on the agenda! :) I cannot tell you how happy that makes me! I have felt like such a slug!

I have that woozy headed feeling too. not bad, just a little woozy.

Welcome to the Newbies like me! :)

Shelly , I am a knitter too! :)

I will check in later!

Shellyknits
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I have to confess that I'm a little nervous about phase II. I'm afraid if I even start with the good carbs it will be a slippery slope to the bad ones. Any one else? I had to run to the grocery today and I found myself looking at apples and strawberries and Kashi Go Lean Crunch instead of the usual garbage! I guess that's improvement. I saw someone mention yogurt. I thought it wasn't allowed on Phase I?

It's great to "meet" you all! Karen, what do you like to knit. My favorite is socks! Always a couple on the needles!

JoviMom
02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
I have to confess that I'm a little nervous about phase II. I'm afraid if I even start with the good carbs it will be a slippery slope to the bad ones. Any one else? I had to run to the grocery today and I found myself looking at apples and strawberries and Kashi Go Lean Crunch instead of the usual garbage! I guess that's improvement. I saw someone mention yogurt. I thought it wasn't allowed on Phase I?

It's great to "meet" you all! Karen, what do you like to knit. My favorite is socks! Always a couple on the needles!

Shelly, you can have up to 2 cups of milk/dairy a day in phase 1. I have 1 cup of ff plain yogurt for a snack and a glass of milk for dinner.

I totally understand how you feel about moving on to phase 2. I felt the same way when I was doing atkins. and when I did move on, i did end up with cravings. but I realize now that some of that is due to the severity of the diet too. I am not so worried with SB as I have more carbs now than I did before!

Funny you should mention socks! I have a pair on my needles now! :) I alos love to do clothing, scarves.. etc. Actually.. I am a crochet/knit pattern designer. That is my career! ;)

JoviMom
02-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi All! I cannot believe I am the first one to post here today!

2 days under my belt! :) ANd the scale is showing a downward trend! WOO HOO!

Off to the gym after I drop the kids at school, but I will be back! :)

Nikki128
02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Karen-

Way to go :cheer2:

Nikki

Shellyknits
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Good morning everyone!

Day 11 on phase 1 for me. Hard to believe I'm wrapping up the 2 weeks! The first few days seemed like a month, but now it's whizzing by! I am really looking forward to an apple or some strawberries!!!

I have been living on hard boiled eggs for breakfast (I am NOT a breakfast eater) as they have been the only thing I could tolerate. Today I had an omelet with artichoke hearts, green onion, and mushrooms. AND, I liked it. Tuna salad for lunch today. I haven't figured out dinner yet.

Karen, how fab that you have made a career out of something as fun as knitting! I have never made up my own pattern, I'm such a chicken, I always do the pattern as written. I'm kind of ocd that way.

Hope everyone has a great OP day.

greenbay04
02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Good Morning Everyone!

Day 3 on SB today and feeling pretty good. Hubby and I both had headaches yesterday...maybe from not eating carbs? Ah well, this too shall pass:) . I too am a little nervous about phase 2 (even though it is still many days away). I look forward to fruit again but a little scared anyway. I am anxious for the weather to break so we can start bike riding. Hopefully we will be a little thinner by then though. I am glad that I am not the only one that can not tolerate V8. I have tried the other flavors too and still YUCK! Tuna I can handle once in a while if it has celery and mayo in it. Well off to make lunch... 6 layer taco salad...yum! Have great days everyone!:carrot:

candyangels5
02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi all, I've been lurking around the boards for a while and you all have inspired me! So, here goes. Day 1 of Phase 1 on SB. I've tried the SBD more times than I can count and I can never seem to get past the horrible first few days of headaches and generally ickyness. But seeing that some of you have the same problem and managed to forge ahead gives me some much needed inspiration. I am getting married April 28 and I would like to lose 30 lbs by then, but I realize that that is probably not a very realistic goal. So, I'll just be happy if my arms are a little smaller and i don't have to suck in my stomach as I walk down the aisle.

I made the taco bake recipe last night so I am all set for today. I always seem to do just fine at work, but I cave in to cravings when I get home. I am pretty motivated this time because I do not want to be a chubby bride.

My bridesmaids adn I are going shopping for their dresses on saturday (i know, nothing like waiting til the last minute - I am a HUGE procrastinator), and we are having lunch afterwards and I am so nervous about eating out. I know I should get a salad, but when everyone else eats whatever they want it's so hard!! I know you all know what that is like, but I just wanted to whine for a bit. hee hee. :)

I had a nice goodbye to carbs last night - a chocolate turtle cupcake thing, and a couple Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. YUM!! :devil: Time to get serious now!! Well wish me luck, and I'll continue lurking around for inspiration and hopefully will be able to share some of my own victories with you.

Ruthxxx
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Luck to you, CandyAngel, and :welcome: to the Beach!

Phase I chickies, this is not a NO CARB plan. Be sure you get legumes and milk on Phase I. Tomatoes have carbs too and are now on Phase I. You should not be suffering from "lack of carbs" at all if you are following the Phase I Food List from the FAQ.

JoviMom
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM
HI All! :)

I am back from the gym and I feel wonderful!!! :) I missed it so much!!!

I did 2.66 miles in 42 mins on the TM and another 45 minutes of abs and upper body weights.. plus about 10 minutes of stretching. THe best part is that I am not coughing! :)

I am planning to walk again tmo! I cannot believe how much I missed it!

casbaby
02-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Everyone! I've been reading 3 fat chicks nearly everyday this week (I just ecently discovered it on the net) and today I decided to post for the first time. All your stories are so inspirational, I know that I don't have all that much to loose, but it feels I'm setting myself up for failure. I've tried every diet under the sun, any suggestions or advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Nikki128
02-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Shelly - we are in the same boat. I am on day 11 as well. Maybe we can stick together going into Phase II so we don't stray.

Greenbay- make sure you eat enough. That taco salad sounds delicious.

candyangel- :welcome3: Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I have the same amount of weight I want to lose by May 20.

Jovi- :cheer2: way to go with the workout :) I did a 10 minute ab session today I did not have time for much else.

Casababy- :welcome2:

Question- Can we have tea as long as there is no added sugar? I think the answer is yes but I want to double check. Day 11 is going great. I am taking the kid I babysit for to McDonads later but I brought a home made salad for me. That will be tough my weakness use to be fries. I know I can do this. Also, if I wan a cup of coffee I can have it with fat free half and half and splenda correct?

Nikki

JoviMom
02-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Karen, how fab that you have made a career out of something as fun as knitting! I have never made up my own pattern, I'm such a chicken, I always do the pattern as written. I'm kind of ocd that way.

Hope everyone has a great OP day.

I am actually the complete opposite! I have always changed patterns as I work them... I can always "fix" it... even as a kid!

JoviMom
02-08-2007, 04:53 PM
You guys.. I have to tell you all how much I appreciate the support and Cheering that goes on around here! You guys are the best!

Nikki - WTG getting some abs in! My doctor tells me that some movement is better than NO MOVEMENT! Are you talking about Iced tea in the bottles? or making it from bags? good luck at McD's Good for you bringing your own salad!!

casbaby - WELCOME! Dont feel that you are setting yourself up for failure. small or large amounts of weight to lose shouldnt make a difference. WHat is it that makes you feel that way? Dont think about it like that! Stinkin' Thinkin' is a bad thing to over come! The power of suggestion is powerful, whether it comes from external sources or within ourselves. Dont think that way!!! You can do it!!

Ruth - Thanks for the reminder! I have that taco bake on the agenda for dinner tonight! I cannot wait!

candyangel - WELCOME! You can do it! we are all here to help eachother!

greenbay04 - I think we all get a little nervous when we have success to change up a few things. Lord knows I am! I havent had a piece of fruit since August 4, 2003! (except for berries) It totally terrifies me! But I also know we all can do it.

well.. gotta run and get my kiddos and then go get their valentines.

Have a great evening! :)

Nikki128
02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I am talking about bag hot tea like cranberry from lipton or something. There is no sugar.

Nikki

JoviMom
02-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I am talking about bag hot tea like cranberry from lipton or something. There is no sugar.

Nikki

Nikki - I think that it is fine as long as there isnt any sugar! but someone else who has been doing it longer might have a different take!

Hope all are having a good morning! I an on to day 4 today. Yesterday went well. Had the taco back fro dinner. OMG was that fantastic. My whole family loved it!!

I am going to be running the kids to school but I will be back later!

thefuturemrsyasher
02-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I did south beach before and lost like 40lbs. I am getting married in September and am going to get my dress the first week of april and I am soooo depressed, I never wanted to walk down the aisle looking like this... I need all the help I can get.

Does the phase I allowance foods get updated I looked on here and it said it allowed certain things that I didn't think were allowed in phase I.

Is mayonaise allowed? Is cool whip, whipped topping allowed? Oh I just want my body to go away Please help!

JoviMom
02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi All! I am back from the gym! I am feeling so good! I did 42 minutes on the TM and another 45 of Chest, Tris and Abs. Plus some streching!

Welcome thefuturemrsyahser!! THe list has changed a bit. Apparently someone who was doing the officiall SBD online sent the list over for us. Mayo is allowed as a fat. THe list says FF or LF whiped topping.. so I think that is OK too from what I can tell...

How is everyone?

Shellyknits
02-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Karen, 423 mins on the treadmill??!!!!!! Dang! ;) You are good. Even if it's just 42 or 43 mins, I'll be impressed! Or even 23...

Really? :dizzy:

JoviMom
02-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Karen, 423 mins on the treadmill??!!!!!! Dang! ;) You are good. Even if it's just 42 or 43 mins, I'll be impressed! Or even 23...

Really? :dizzy:

LOL! It was supposed to be 42! didnt catch that!

aprsco
02-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Hello every one!

I am new here and will be starting on the SB diet beginning tomorrow. I have been on the rice diet for the past 3 weeks and I am so sick of it. I am for sure not a "veg-head". I took a survey in the Perfect Fit Diet and it says Low carb is way to go for me. SB seems to be the better choice looking at all of them. I'm going grocery shopping today and I hope the transition will be easy. Any one else switched from another diet plan?

Schatzi
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
JoviMom: :hug: for being so helpful to the new chickies here! You're info is spot on!

Tea is fine, so are the flavored and herbal teas.. as long as like Jovimom said, no sugar added.

Futuremrsasher: :welcome2: !!here is a link to the Phase 1 food list..May and coolwhip are allowed... See the limits andother info though...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49548

:welcome3: Casbaby, Candy and Aprsco!

Aprsco, don't be surprised if you have a few days of feeling headachy, wonky, tired, out of sorts. You've been on a starchy somewhat processed carb diet for 3 weeks, where now you are going to go on one that has reduced carbs for the first 2 weeks and those carbs are unrefined. Hang with it! :cheer2:

Candy :dust: to help you doll! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Casbaby: Have you tried those diet analyzers... some of the info can help you id the type of eating that suits you and your life best. If anything, the SBD gets you into the habit of eating whole foods, less of the "white stuff" and focuses on healthy real foods.

:grouphug: Everybody!!!!
I'll be starting a thread for phase 1 for week of Feb 12 tomorrow...be sure to follow us over there...