100 lb. Club - Weigh in freaks me out!!

View Full Version : Weigh in freaks me out!!

shelby897
02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
This is probably just my "thing". I weigh in next Thursday with my nutritionist. And, as usual, the closer I get to weigh in, the more I freak out. I've been doing pretty well but the closer I get the more I eat -- I get very nervous about not being down "enough" and can't stop thinking about it, which makes me eat more. Any tips???

boaterswife
02-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Shelby, you'll do fine! Stay focused on your goal, no matter how fast or slow you get there. Everyone's body does their own thing, and you'll get there! You've lost 21 pounds, girl!! Stand up and be proud! You're nutritionist will see the progress you've made and will be happy too.

When you're getting nervous and grabbing food, try to make yourself stop and think about whether or not you are truly hungry. If not, pop a piece of gum in your mouth....it gives your mouth something to do and can get you over that rough spot. Good luck!

shelby897
02-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Thank you -- I guess I do need to put some perspective on it. I didn't gain it overnight (pretty close though :dizzy:), it's not going to come off that fast. I weigh in with a nutritionist to be accountable -- not for punishment!!! And, time to go to the store for more gum!!! Whether I see her or not, I need to stick to my plan without setting deadlines.

CyberGypsy
02-03-2007, 05:29 PM
You are looking at her as the bad guy,,,,you need to look at her as the good guy :)

shelby897
02-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks -- you are right -- like I'm waiting for her to yell at me for doing poorly or not losing "quite enough" when of course she wouldn't and is very support. And why do great for two weeks and waste that the week before weigh in?!! I have to stop feeling like there's a deadline to this -- it could take 6 months it could take 2 years, but as long as the scale keeps going down, I don't care!!! Have a great weekend.

Heather
02-03-2007, 11:37 PM
The lower I get, the more I realize I need to focus on things OTHER than the scale.

Can you make a list of other victories you're proud of?? So many days of exercise, or things you do now that you didn't or couldn't before?

I just think there are so many more places to look for success than the scale!

Good luck!

shelby897
02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Unfortunately, I am very scale-obsessed which I have to get over -- I tend to pay more attention to that than how I feel. I know if my clothes feel lose, I'm down some weight, but still have to hop on way too much every day -- so I'll put it in writing here so I can't try to get out of it :)

I'm going to put my scales away (like in the attic, which is about the only place I don't think I would drag them out, too much effort :dizzy: ) and rely on the weigh-ins every two weeks with the nutritionist. I work out five days a week and do eat better when I don't weigh myself constantly -- so the scales are out!! They definitely aren't helping me. If I don't know what I weigh I can't be worried about my weigh in. I'll track my exercise and good food choices instead.

Heather
02-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm more scale obsessed than I like to admit too -- which is why I actively seek other sources of .... inspiration!

SexyRevealed
02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, the scale is a funny thing. It can be your best friend and your worst nightmare... all in the same day! I'm trying not to focus on the scale. I will be eating smart and exercising for the rest of my life, regardless of what the scale says. Weight loss is just a side effect of doing what we should be doing anyway! Just focus on what you CAN control (staying OP, working out, drinking water) and the rest will follow. Good luck!

lucky
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
You might also consider telling the nutritionist how you feel about the weigh ins. I'm sure she is accustom to anxious clients and may have just the right words to help you put the weigh in portion of your appointment in perspective or a suggestion to help you manage the tension in the week leading up to it. If all you do is a weigh in with her maybe you could suggest that she take your measurements in addition? I think we are all scale obsessed to a degree - or at least have been at one time or another. The important thing is that we remind ourselves that the scale is just ONE of many tools we can use to measure our success.

boaterswife
02-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I agree with everyone else, the scale can be the devil in disguise. I felt like I was going to get attached to my scale, so I finally threw it away. There's not a scale in the house except the little one that I measure food on, and I won't fit on that! There's no way for me to weigh myself now except when I go to my ww meeting, and that keeps me sane. I weigh the same time each week, same clothing, etc.

Penney
02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I was stressing so much about weigh-ins so much that now - I only weigh-in once a month - that is the only one that counts for me.

shelby897
02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I will also be throwing the scales out -- kind of drastic, but I have done it before and I feel so much better!! I'm going to measure myself this week, and let the nutritionist weigh me every two weeks. I know when I'm doing well and when I'm not, the scales really don't tell me anything I don't already know!!!

GirlyGirlSebas
02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I weigh the same time each week, same clothing, etc.

Those clothes must be getting huge on you! :rofl:

rockinrobin
02-06-2007, 07:19 AM
I know when I'm doing well and when I'm not, the scales really don't tell me anything I don't already know!!!

That's EXACTLY it. We can't do more then eat well and exercise. We just can't. The scale will do what the scale will do. Sticking to plan will result in a weight loss (if only eventually).

Weighing in at your nutritionist sounds like a great idea. :smug:

Cheryl14
02-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Shelby!

It's very easy to get all worked up about something and MUCH harder to stay calm! Stress is a bad thing, though! Stress can put a halt to weight loss because your body makes cortisol during stressful times. This cortisol causes weight gain. For YEARS I was so stressed out about everything! I KNOW that I really was sabotaging myself because of it.

Have you tried yoga? It is SO calming, and once you learn the breathing techniques and some of the poses, you can do them RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE to calm yourself down.

I donate blood every other month. I've been doing it since 1987. You'd think that it would be a piece of cake for me, right? Wrong! I STILL get myself worked up over the needle thing! I know it sounds weird, but I DO! Anyway, since I have been doing yoga, I am able to calm myself down and even lower my pulse and bloodpressure by breathing and getting myself to a calmer place. Trust me, if it works for THIS worrywart, it will work for YOU!:yoga:

Cheryl

shelby897
02-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Cheryl -- I had started trying yoga briefly once and loved it, I guess it's time to get back into it - - especially today with a sick kid and I can't even make it to the gym!! I need something to keep my day "peaceful"!!!

On a side note, very nice job with the donating blood -- my dad had a quadruple bypass a couple of months ago and because of people like you, all went well!!!

Cheryl14
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi Shelby!

Glad to hear that your dad is doing well! Our friend had a triple bypass last week. I always feel great about donating blood even though it STILL makes me a bit squeamish! During these past two years I did "Double Red" donations where they hook you up to an apheresis machine that separates the red blood cells from the platelets. You can watch the separating procedure which is quite interesting. The bag of platelets looks just like beer with a head on it! They take twice the amount of your red blood cells but give you back all your platelets AND some saline, too. The saline is COLD, and even in the summer they had to put THREE blankets on me as the cold saline was added back into my arm with the platelets!

Who knows? Maybe your dad DID get one of my donations! I'm O-Negative. The "Double Red" donations ARE done specifically FOR heart patients!:val1:

Cheryl

shelby897
02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
That's too cool -- Dad is O negative -- you may have saved him!!

My sister dragged my brother-in-law to donate blood a few years ago kicking and screaming, and now he organizes blood drives at his work and donates platelets.

On the weight loss note -- I always wonder how food became such an issue to all of us -- how it got on the top of our list of things to worry about? I'm sure we all have reasons that put us here. So many people have it in perspective -- eating is something we do daily, ranks right up there with bathing, getting dressed, etc. :) I'm hoping to work eating/food back down there on the "something to do today" list from it's spot of "something I think about all the time". Good luck to everyone else on this.

Cheryl14
02-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi there, Shelby!

Wow...awesome thought about maybe being part of the blood donation for your dad...:val1:

I know what you mean about the food thing. I recently finished Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. He talks of food as "fuel" that allows him to run these incredible amounts of miles. I honestly NEVER THOUGHT of food as fuel! I thought of it as tasty, dedlicious, want-more-of-it, goodies, yummy, etc. but NEVER as FUEL! That's probably why I ended up over a hundred pounds overweight!!!:(

I guess for me I had to find other things in my life that would become more important than what tasty morsel I would be stuffing in my face next! That's why I think so much of this weight loss thing is MENTAL! I never really got that before!

Cheryl

Angihas2
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
If you haven't done so yet, I highly suggest measuring yourself. Even when my scale has gone up a few pounds, if I measure, I can SEE the changes.

shelby897
02-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion -- I will be measuring myself in the morning. I think that will make a big difference to me, because I'm spending a lot of time at the gym, so I may get smaller without losing a lot of weight. You guys have been great, with so many suggestions. So, now I am reading to see my nutritionist on Thursday, I was going to cancel because I haven't been doing very well, but that wouldn't help. So, I'm ready -- bring it on!!! :D