Weight Loss Support - Have drive-thru restaraunts contributed to our poor eating habits?

Tara D
02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
For some reason that I don't know, I've been thinking a lot about ethical and societal issues this week. I've noticed that often on this forum, people talk about frequenting fast food restaurants, and more often than not, they talk about buying large quantities of food as they go through the drive-thru. I wonder if the anonimity provided by a drive-thru contributes to less inhibition to order excess amounts of food.

If you think about it, when you go through the drive-thru, you talk to a speaker and then maybe 1 (at most two) workers. No other customers hear or see you order. None of the other workers see you, and chances are fairly good that the person at the window might be a person you haven't ordered from before.

Would it be harder (due to self-consciousness) to order excess amounts of food if we actually HAD to go into the fast food restaurants?Would we be less likely to go to fast food restaurants at all?

Would things be different if drive-thrus didn't exist?

nelie
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Do that many people really use the drive-thru at restaurants? I can't remember the last time I've been through a drive-thru and usually it was out of thirst, not hunger but since I've stopped drinking diet sodas, I don't use drive-thrus any more.

cupcake84
02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
that is true for myself, i would always go to the drive thru---and order huge amounts of food (a supersize meal, 2 extra burgers & like chicken nuggets)things that i would never order if i actually went inside the restaurant. i would just tell myself that they thought i was getting food for like people lol
what a fool i was lol

ennay
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh yeah, people do. I dont get fastfood often, but if I do it is always drive thru--and always to avoid taking my kids out of the car. So in that sense, yes, because there are days I would starve to death before I would get out of the car with my kids. I even do drive thru grocery shopping now (online shop/pick up)

seriously though
It is very common for binge disorders to use drive thrus to hide it. but truthfully, most bingers would just find another way. Of all the binge temptations out there fast food is for me the easiest to avoid. One there is a delay between impulse and gratification which gives me talk down time. Two, if it is one of those kinds of days where its shouting to me, I lock my purse in the trunk.

nelie
02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Oh I wasn't a fast food binger, maybe that is why :) I would go to the grocery store, walking down aisles and putting stuff in my cart that I'd eat later. One of my favorites was a loaf of french bread with some brie.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-02-2007, 11:53 AM
OMG Nelie - I am you!!;) Brie and french bread......I was in the hospital once for a very extended period of time, and I called my sister and had her BRING me some Brie and french bread!!:o

Fast food has never been a big deal for me. I always wanted the good stuff!

rockinrobin
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Tara I don't think this question is quite the same as your last 130 + response question.

I think it is perfectly ethical to have a drive-thru. It's simply a matter of convience that people have gotten used to. We have drive through banks and drive thru cleaners. We surely are a lazy society, aren't we? Do some people have more binges because of them? Probably. But like already mentioned people who want to binge WILL binge. Even if they have to get out of the car to do so. I think we'd still have just as many obese people with or without the drive thrus. But maybe that's just me, I'm like Nelie and Mrs. Quadcrew, fast food was not a big problem for me. Eating food fast, that WAS a problem. I still need to work on that in fact. ;)

JayEll
02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I have seen some drive-thru liquor stores. Duh!!!!

Jay

Glory87
02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't think it's drive-throughs specifically, but I do think the "culture of convenience" (of which drive throughs are a subset) contributes to poor eating habits and obesity. Everything is quick quick quick! Very few people cook meals, it's frozen this and pizza delivery that and Go Gurt and "let's hit the Cheesecake factory after work!"

Obsidianbbw
02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
For me isn't wasn't so much the drive thru, it was eating in my car. I was almost like if I ate in the car it didn't count. The was one of the first rules I made when I started. No if I eat in my car its because I've been out all day and I didn't bring any fruit with me.Usually it is a small drink and a small burger. I'm not really a fry person.

alinnell
02-02-2007, 12:51 PM
The city where I live has an ordinance against drive through eateries. They do have drive through banks and pharmacies and I think one drive through convenience store. The reasoning is that people who use drive throughs for food will eat in their car and then throw the litter out on the street.

In any case, I've never been a fast food binger and probably not a binger in the sense that I don't eat huge amounts of food. I'm usually pretty restrained but do go overboard from time to time.

marie.
02-02-2007, 12:59 PM
alinnel- where do you live??Im in cali and never heard of that,but what a novel idea!Even when I was thin, if I drove through for lunch and bought more than one anything, I always got 2 small cokes...crazy...

alinnell
02-02-2007, 01:12 PM
alinnel- where do you live??Im in cali and never heard of that,but what a novel idea!Even when I was thin, if I drove through for lunch and bought more than one anything, I always got 2 small cokes...crazy...

Palm Desert, CA

Mind you that all the neighboring cities DO have drive through restaurants--so if you're really lazy you just drive an extra 10 miles!!! :o

futuresurferchick
02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think it's drive-throughs specifically, but I do think the "culture of convenience" (of which drive throughs are a subset) contributes to poor eating habits and obesity.

I agree with this... Drive-thrus are one symptom of a much larger, much more complex problem.

When I worked at a fast-food restaurant, the mgr said 65-75% of the business was through the drive-thru and it certainly seemed to be true.

Beach Patrol
02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, I do believe that D-T restaurants have contributed to society's poor eating habits, as well as the TV dinner & nuke-foods. I believe that the things that are REALLY bad for you are PROCESSED FOODS. All the chemicals & colorings & special additives to just make something shelf stable CAN'T be all that good for us.... Just my personal theory.

FreeSpirit
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Everyone has the ability to make the choice. Drive-thru's are there for conventionality, it is not the drive-thru's fault if people make the decision to order alot of food becausee they feel more comfortable. If drive thru's didn't exist, there's many other ways to get a large amount of food, such as going to different resturaunts to order their food.

Ruthxxx
02-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Once again it's personal choice. People make their own decisions.

northernbelle
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't use drive-throughs because I hate eating in the car. The only thing I might get is a coffee on a road trip.

IMO, drive-throughs should be abolished. Eating in the car is extremely dangerous, if it's the driver eating. Or eating in the car should be illegal. My daughter's car was recently totaled by a young guy eating MacDonald's. She was very lucky she wasn't totaled at the same time.

lilybelle
02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I will certainly admit to having used drive-thrus often out of convenience and the anonymity. I didn't want to go inside and eat where people would see me eating enough for at least 2 people. Now, I haven't been through a drive thru in almost 2 yrs. I don't care if people see what and how much I eat now.

RitzyFritz
02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
While I can see the concern here, I really think it is an infringement of freedom to ban drive thrus for any reason. The drive thru places are no more responsible for our being overweight than the tobacco industry is for smokers (I'm not a smoker). There is not one person who doesn't drive thru or light up who isn't aware of the side effects of their actions. Also...if they can make it illegal to eat in our car, then no more healthy snacks from home for road trips and no more drinks for that matter...after all there is a risk of dropping and spilling the hot coffee or drink and....here we go. There will ALWAYS be a risk in the car every time you get behind the wheel...so outlawing everything is not the answer, IMHO.

As for the drive thru, it is a convenience, but if there were no more anywhere in our country, we would just buy mega-sized coolers and stock ourselves up with more junk than we would ever consider buying at the drive thru because it is even more private than having to see 2 employes at McD's! It has already been mentioned, if a person wants to overeat, they will find a way - drive thrus or not.

EZMONEY
02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I love the convenience of fast food restaraunts. I also know that having that convenience has contributed to my overeating many times! I have an issue that if I can't make up my mind on what I want, or how much (since it is only lunch) well, I usually just order ALL of what I was considering (God forbid me to make the order taker wait, even though I can't them understand anyway!). I am much better at NOT DOING THAT though now.

I will say that the rules in California, on NOT :smoking: SMOKING :smoking:, helped me with that addiction almost ten years ago. I "finally" made a "for real" effort to stop. It was easier to do so in California, since you are only allowed to :smoking: smoke in a TRASH CAN ~ WITH THE LID ON IT ~ IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR OWN BACKYARD ~ 100 FEET FROM YOUR OWN HOME (IF AND ONLY IF THE WIND IS BLOWING OUT TO SEA IN THE DIRECTION OF FRANCE) ~ AND NOT CLOSER THAN 500 MILES TO ANY OTHER PERSON PLANT OR THING.

That and my prayers ~ support ~ and the GUM! ;)

EZMONEY
02-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh yeah ~ I would outlaw cell phone driving way before coffee drinking or food eating ~ I do realize these are all possible distractions that WE should not be doing while driving ~ but I see soooooooooooooooo many people "locked into" their cell phone conversations!

Beach Patrol
02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
While I can see the concern here, I really think it is an infringement of freedom to ban drive thrus for any reason. The drive thru places are no more responsible for our being overweight than the tobacco industry is for smokers (I'm not a smoker). There is not one person who doesn't drive thru or light up who isn't aware of the side effects of their actions. Also...if they can make it illegal to eat in our car, then no more healthy snacks from home for road trips and no more drinks for that matter...after all there is a risk of dropping and spilling the hot coffee or drink and....here we go. There will ALWAYS be a risk in the car every time you get behind the wheel...so outlawing everything is not the answer, IMHO.

As for the drive thru, it is a convenience, but if there were no more anywhere in our country, we would just buy mega-sized coolers and stock ourselves up with more junk than we would ever consider buying at the drive thru because it is even more private than having to see 2 employes at McD's! It has already been mentioned, if a person wants to overeat, they will find a way - drive thrus or not.

I completely agree. There are plenty of us tubby-chubbies that would LIKE to have fat-laden foods outlawed... but that's not really fair to the skinny-minnies in the world now is it? I know plenty of rail-thin people that love the drive-thrus... & of course people like me that are rarely drawn to the drive thrus, & to each his own, & all that. I do think it's completely unhealthy to eat fast food all the time, & I used to work with a woman who did that - McDonald's for brekkie, lunch & dinner - & yeah - she was teetering on the 300lb mark. Worse, even, that was not just her food - she had two young boys & a daughter that lived off MickieD's too. BUT THAT WAS HER CHOICE. Nobody forced her to do that. She could have cooked; could've at least attempted a healthy lifestyle - the fact was she just didn't care. I know because she said so.

I'm glad I care enough to not do that to my body. And I am TRYING to be more careful in everything I choose to eat. I am SLOWLY losing weight, and feeling much better for it, too. That's MY choice. :^:

ennay
02-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I really dont compare the fast food industry and smoking at all. (I actually get kind of ticked when they are compared)

It is possible to occasionally eat fast food without endangering your health. It is NOT possible to smoke occasionally without endangering your health.

It is possible to abuse fast food without endangering the life of others. Second hand smoke kills innocent non-smokers all the time.

I have no interest in seeing drive-thrus banned. They are a matter of personal responsibility. And as I whip through the Wendy's for my chili and side salad on my way home from yoga Monday night, I am grateful to not have to get out of the car in the pouring freezing rain. I am grateful that I get home quickly with just enough time to kiss my daughter goodnight before she falls asleep, and have a hot meal ready to go so I dont push MY bedtime too late.

alinnell
02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah ~ I would outlaw cell phone driving way before coffee drinking or food eating ~ I do realize these are all possible distractions that WE should not be doing while driving ~ but I see soooooooooooooooo many people "locked into" their cell phone conversations!

Wow do I agree on that one! At least California is going hands-free soon.

MicheleKC
02-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I checked out this book at the library, The Fast Food Diet: Lose Weight and Feel Great Even If You're Too Busy to Eat Right.

It contains some great menu choices from favorite fast food restaurants that are actually nutritious, so if you must find yourself at a McDonald's you'll know what to order.

I wouldn't recommend actually following the "diet" from all fast-food restaurants, but it's interesting to see how many calories are in a Big Mac.

EZMONEY
02-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I really dont compare the fast food industry and smoking at all. (I actually get kind of ticked when they are compared)

It is possible to occasionally eat fast food without endangering your health. It is NOT possible to smoke occasionally without endangering your health.

It is possible to abuse fast food without endangering the life of others. Second hand smoke kills innocent non-smokers all the time.

Not sure :?: if you are "TALKIN' TO ME?" here ENNAY...but to be clear...I AM FOR drive thru fast food places and also FOR the SMOKING RULES of California...actually the far majority of smokers I know and knew are for the rules...we/they know it is terrible for everyone.

ALLISON ~ Angie has had me hands-free now for two years! ;)

chick_in_the_hat
02-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Ya know, Gary.....if ya type with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek so much...it's liable to get stuck like that. :D

Prolly takes one to know one, huh?

MicheleKC
02-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I checked out this book at the library, The Fast Food Diet: Lose Weight and Feel Great Even If You're Too Busy to Eat Right.

It contains some great menu choices from favorite fast food restaurants that are actually nutritious, so if you must find yourself at a McDonald's you'll know what to order.

I wouldn't recommend actually following the "diet" from all fast-food restaurants, but it's interesting to see how many calories are in a Big Mac.

Oh, and in the diet from the book, Big Mac's are off limits and not considered a healthy menu item, in case anyone was wondering. :^: French fries are way off limits.

McDonald's actually kick-started my exercise program and led me to the Yourself Fitness DVD, with their free DVDs from Yourself Fitness with the salad meals.

Tara D
02-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I definitely don't think that fast food or drive-thrus should be outlawed. I just wondered if anyone has found that the existence of drive-thrus facilitated his/her binges or overeating habits.

Nikaia
02-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

Not to start a further argument or anything, but...

{rant}

I'm more worried about people who drive while talking to their passengers sometimes. I've seen moms driving while reaching back to deal with kids, I've seen people driving while they're practically turned around to talk to their passengers in the right-hand seat or backseat, talking with their hands so they're hardly even *driving*, just keeping their foot on the accelerator.

Also, speaking as someone who is seriously FLAT broke, I'm upset by the new laws in Cali (where I do happen to live) about hands-frees. I don't have one. I can't afford to get one. It's WAY down on my list of indulgences. I also do long commutes between places of residence on a semiregular basis - 2 hours or more depending on traffic. And when the traffic's good, yeah, I'll chat on the phone. It's one of the few uninterrupted times I get to do that. Now I can get ticketed for that? Whatever. Stay out of my car, government.

{/rant}

Sorry if I offended anyone; I just think the government tends to go overboard in telling people what they can and can't do.

EZMONEY
02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Ya know, Gary.....if ya type with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek so much...it's liable to get stuck like that. :D

Prolly takes one to know one, huh?

GINA~For some reason I am not making myself clear I guess...I "might" :rofl: be a bit of a smart a$$ at times ~HOWEVER~ I am being totally serious in the fact that I believe drive thru fast food places are totally fine ~ the point I was trying to make was that IF it wasn't so EASY to get EXTRA food that I MIGHT not eat so much ~ I feel any over eating I do is no ones fault but my own.

As far as smoking goes ~ I smoked 2 packs plus a day from the time I was 16 (14 - 16 I was a "recreational" smoker :D ) until I was 43 ~ I am now 52 ~ even though I smoked and made mention in my post on the strickness of the rules in California, I am ABSOLUTELY FOR NOT SMOKING ANYWHERE WHERE IT OFFENDS OR POSSIBLY HURTS ANOTHER HUMAN BEING! I believed in the laws and rules even as a SMOKER! I obviously could tell the damage it was doing to me and my friends/family that were/are smokers agreed with me. I was trying to say that when I was "honestly" trying to quit, that it helped that there were so many places I couldn't smoke anyway and that made it easier to quit.

And yes I may (?) type tongue in cheek from time to time ~ but not ALL the time ~ can't you tell by my posts that I am "drinking" my MGD's sometimes? Hard to do when you can't swallow!

Man, you people up north are whacked! ;)

futuresurferchick
02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I've read that hands-free phones are actually worse in terms of distracting drivers. I'm not sure why, but I'm just throwing it out there... Something to think about.

EZMONEY
02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
OH REALLLLLLLL~Y NIKAIA ~ WELL (humph) I feel that the reason traffic is so bad is because of cell phone drivers :p ;)

Yes I believe you SHOULD get a ticket for talking on your cell phone....

just don't tell me I can't leave my dogs in the car for a half hour (in cool weather) while I go grocery shopping....Jan 1...cut out a lot of their "wanna go bye-bye?"!

EZMONEY
02-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I've read that hands-free phones are actually worse in terms of distracting drivers. I'm not sure why, but I'm just throwing it out there... Something to think about.

OK Surfer Chicky (not to be confused with in the HAT chicky) I say let's just get rid of ALL cell phones in cars, lines where I am waiting, airports, churches and anyplace that I may hear one!

unlesss it's my own.............;)

futuresurferchick
02-04-2007, 09:37 AM
OK Surfer Chicky (not to be confused with in the HAT chicky) I say let's just get rid of ALL cell phones in cars, lines where I am waiting, airports, churches and anyplace that I may hear one!

unlesss it's my own.............;)

:lol: what if we set up a licensing system for them? You have to prove you are polite enough to use one responsibly. ;)

EZMONEY
02-04-2007, 12:21 PM
:lol: what if we set up a licensing system for them? You have to prove you are polite enough to use one responsibly. ;)

SURFERCHICK~ That is the SMARTEST thing I have ever heard!! You can hang out at our beach :beach: anytime!

JayEll
02-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey EZMONEY, you're a funny one!

I don't mind if you leave your dogs in your car with the windows cracked in January in the NORTH--but you know, down here in Florida people are nuts! They don't realize just how HOT that sun is a lot of the time...

But back on topic for a brief moment... It's every man and woman for themselves out there... and passing laws to outlaw drive-thrus seems just silly to me.

Jay

almostheaven
02-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Would it be harder (due to self-consciousness) to order excess amounts of food if we actually HAD to go into the fast food restaurants?Would we be less likely to go to fast food restaurants at all?

Would things be different if drive-thrus didn't exist?
IMHO, nope.

My hubby goes through drive-thrus all the time. He loves Arby's roast beef. But that's ALL he orders. No fries, no drink, nothing. He goes to Wendy's and order JUST a junior bacon cheeseburger. He weighs 135 pounds and eats about twice a day...small meals. I think if someone is dispositioned to eat large portions they will...whether it be through a drive-thru or at home when they leave the restaurant and they pig out because they still think they're hungry and now no one will see them eating. But if it's not an issue for someone, having drive-thrus available isn't likely to make it an issue for them.

almostheaven
02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
I have a Bluetooth and love it. It's not distracting at all. If anything, I may be distracted sounding to the person I'm speaking to because I'm concentrating on the road. :D But I find that driving takes a backseat (pardon the pun) when trying to fish out a cellphone and open it and hold it to the ear...especially for those driving a stick. :(

InLimbo
02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
That is an interesting question - do we go thru drive thrus to avoid people seeing us eat in fast food. I have heard of that with food disorders but mostly I think the original concept was to get food quickly. Unfortunately, I have found fast food to be neither fast nor food.

The only drive thrus I go to are Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks (infrequently due to $$$$ but I do like their pumpkin or vanilla lattes as a treat) due to my very insane coffee addiction. We have a Walgreen's drive thru for prescriptions which is nice (no dragging yourself all sick into the store). I lived in one town that had a drive thru dry cleaners.

I would love to see a drive thru on the supermarket - just for say bread, milk,eggs and maybe cold cuts.

Sue

futuresurferchick
02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I have a Bluetooth and love it. It's not distracting at all. If anything, I may be distracted sounding to the person I'm speaking to because I'm concentrating on the road. :D But I find that driving takes a backseat (pardon the pun) when trying to fish out a cellphone and open it and hold it to the ear...especially for those driving a stick. :(

It seems contrary to common sense doesn't it? It was just something I remember reading once.