100 lb. Club - So, what's for dinner tonight? FEBRUARY

rockinrobin
02-01-2007, 09:00 AM
We started this thread on January 22nd and have compiled 7 pages worth. Wow! In order to make it easier I thought we'd make it a monthly. I think most of us here are benefiting from one another's dinner plans. I for one have gotten many great ideas. Which is no surprise, cause we've got a bunch of great ladies here!

Having said that, I don't have the best meal planned for tonight, but since I HARDLY EVER eat bread it is kind of a treat for me.

Homemade Red Lentil Soup and

Tuna fish with diced red onions, diced tomatoes, diced kirbys and shredded lettuce in mini whole wheat pita bread.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-01-2007, 09:39 AM
We will be having stir fry with chicken breast over brown rice. I LOVE chopping all those vegies up - it is so colorful!!! (I use a couple of teaspoons of EVOO to do the stir fry) For the brown rice, I put some boullion, onion and garlic in to cook with it! (then I use the leftovers for some whole grain in my salads for the week!)

nelie
02-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I know I'm the boring one :) Tonight will be leftovers of my pasta and shrimp. It is oh so good. Oh and a side of green beans.

avsfan2
02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
We are having lemon grilled fish. Yum! I haven't had fish in a while so I'm looking forward to it. Probably some sort of steamed veggie and a salad to go with it.

cantforgetthis
02-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh, what a good idea!

I'm not exactly sure yet, I just baked off a bunch of chicken so i'll use that as a base.

It will be either chicken tacos with salsa verde, sprouted corn tortillas, and lots of veggie stuffing, or baked chicken with italian stlye Kashi (7 grains)cooked in tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions with spring greens salad. :D

Lovestorun
02-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Tonight we are going to try a Jenni-O Turkey Tenderloin? Never had one just
came across it in the store hope it's good!!!!;) I will probably do some whole wheat penne pasta w/ parmesan and some sort of veggie! Now I am really hungry..... Have a happy dinner. :D

avsfan2
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh, what a good idea!

I'm not exactly sure yet, I just baked off a bunch of chicken so i'll use that as a base.

It will be either chicken tacos with salsa verde, sprouted corn tortillas, and lots of veggie stuffing, or baked chicken with italian stlye Kashi (7 grains)cooked in tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions with spring greens salad. :D

Yum! I'd love to know how you make both of those!!! Where do you get your sprouted corn tortillas? I seem to have luck finding sprouted bread, but not tortillas. Mmmmmm, chicken tacos... :T

SuchAPrettyFace
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I am sick, so will be having chicken soup & orange juice.

Casey4
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
thin sliced chicken breasts sprayed with a little olive oil and dipped in seasoned parm. cheese. I bake it with some roasted veggies. The kids will have rice.

cupcake84
02-01-2007, 12:46 PM
chicken tortilla thinggys lol, chicken in a low cal tortilla with lettuce tomato salsa and sour cream...yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

cantforgetthis
02-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Yum! I'd love to know how you make both of those!!! Where do you get your sprouted corn tortillas? I seem to have luck finding sprouted bread, but not tortillas. Mmmmmm, chicken tacos... :T

They are made by the same company that makes the Ezequiel 4:9 sprouted breads, "Food for Life" http://www.foodforlife.com/ I was soooo excited to see them but bought them rather reluctantly since I
tried their regular sprouted grain tortillas and found them difficult to work with. Those were good to make chips or a quesadilla. The corn are smaller, but much better to make tacos with. No added oil, yeast, or flour. The only place i've found them was at one Whole Foods in my area. Not all of them have them, although if I were to ask, they would order them.

Kashi is the brand name for a blend of 7 grains and sesame seeds. I use it just like rice, although it's unprocessed whole grains. It comes in one cup packages and I just put that in a big pot of my own defatted chicken stock, usually 1.5 times the amount they say (3 cups) with unsalted tomato paste and dried tomatoes for and intense flavor, and then add dried or fresh mixed wild mushrooms, carmelized onions (better flavor that way) and let it simmer until just under done. I put that in a casserole dish with the chicken and bake it. And it is yummy! :D

sharonrr
02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
We will be having chili made from a buffalo sirloin roast and lots of beans.
:hug: My 4 y/o wanted the hug on here. She will not have chili.

jillybean720
02-01-2007, 01:48 PM
On Thursdays, I have my TOPS meeting after work, so I don't actually get home till pretty late. This once a week, I stop at Subway for our dinner on my way home from my meeting, and then I'll get home around 9pm. I will have a 6" sweet onion chicken teriyaki on honey oat bread--no cheese, lettuce and sweet onion sauce as the only toppings with the chicken. Oh, and 1 Subway cookie (flavor TBD based upon availability) :D

SexyRevealed
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
That chicken stir fry sounds like a good idea. I just pulled a recipe off the net and I'm going to try that tonight!

Penney
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Hubby worked late tonight - the kids really wanted something we have not had in a looong time so.... we had

Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches

So to try and make it a bit healthier (don't know if worked or not) I made it on multi-grain bread.

Not sure how this ranks as a dinner - but there it is.

mandalinn82
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
White Bean and Sausage soup - already posted recipe here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99449

Mrs Quadcrew
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
The stir fry is always a hit here! Even our 7 year old grandson loves it. One chicken breast feeds the whole family! Tonights had - zuchini, yellow squash, red & green pepper, onion, carrots, broccoli, garlic and of course the chicken! Over brown rice that was cooked in chicken broth, onion and garlic. YUMMM.

SexyRevealed
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
I got home late from the market and I have to study so no stir-fry. I had a Healthy Choice instead. Tomorrow I will give it a try. I like the idea of cooking the brown rice in chicken broth, onion, and garlic. I will try that too!

karrier
02-02-2007, 04:32 AM
was stir fry (in coconut oil) chicken breast with zuchinni, peppers,celery, and broccoli over cauliflower mash with SF jello and cream for dessert.:carrot:

rockinrobin
02-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Wow stir fries are popular here - and with good reason. They're yummy. I just did a huge produce order yesterday, so next week I will be makiing a couple of them as well.

This is my usual Friday night meal.

Small bowl of homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Roasted Chicken with roasted potatoes and carrots. I usually only eat a bite or 2 of the potatoes.

Cauliflower, string beans and brussel sprouts.

RitzyFritz
02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
4 oz roasted chicken breasts - 164 cal ~ 4 g fat
Roasted bell pepper (1 whole) - 18 cal ~ 0 g fat
1 cup Normandy Vegetable Blend - 25 cal ~ 0 g fat
Sweet potato (equal to about 1/2 c) - 118 cal ~ 1 g fat
Eggplant (1/2 cup) - 18 cal ~ 0 g fat
Double Strawberry Cheesecake - 134 cal ~ 4.5 g fat

Total: 477 calories ~ 9.5 g fat

jillybean720
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches

So to try and make it a bit healthier (don't know if worked or not) I made it on multi-grain bread.

Not sure how this ranks as a dinner - but there it is.
Grilled cheese ROCKS, man! I sometimes do it on the weekends for Jeff and me, too--I'll make it on whole-grain bread with either reduced-fat or thin-sliced cheese, fat-free "butter," and soy or fat-free mayo. Sometimes I'll add some ham, sometimes some turkey pepperoni--it's actually one of my favorite comfort foods on a cold winter evening (especially paired with some tomato soup--YUM!).

Mrs Quadcrew
02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
we'll be having pizza tonight! WW crust - green & red peppers, zuchini, onion, and chicken with some lf cheese. I haven't punched it in to fitday yet, so I am not sure of the calories.

nelie
02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Mmmm I love grilled cheese :) Normally I don't keep cheese in the house though.

Speaking of pizza, one of my new favorite pizza ingredients is broccoli. There is a pizza place near me that makes the best veggie pizza with broccoli, onions and mushrooms. I'm so addicted.

Tonight will be beef with some brown rice and green beans.

Luminous
02-02-2007, 11:26 AM
You guys make me want stir fry! That or pizza. It will be one or the other then tonight. :)

SexyRevealed
02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Tonight was a new recipe I found in one of those Prevention magazines I picked up. Scallops & Linguine. It was pretty tasty, but I bought the tiny bay scallops instead of the sea scallops. I substitued broccoli for the called for asparagus. I will definitely make it again.

Penney
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Last night my husband cooked - so it was Boca Burgers and baked fries.

I think I am going to try some kind of stir fry tonight - I have lots of veggies on hand - hmmmm I think my daughter and I will like that...

I was told I have become "extremist" in my cooking - so the guys can have roast beef sandwiches.

SexyRevealed
02-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I did the chicken stir fry tonight. It was yummy! I used broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, onions, and bell peppers, and I added honey and soy sauce. It was so pretty! LOL. Whole family loved it, so it's definitely a keeper.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I just love all the colors in the stir fry! Tonight it was just Ian (Grandson - 7) and me. We had chicken breast sauteed in a little EVOO with garlic and onion, brown rice (same kind I use for my stir fry!), broccoli/cauliflower steamed, and a small salad.

SexyRevealed
02-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Tonight is london broil, brown rice (I had some leftover too Mrs. Q!), and steamed veggies.

Angihas2
02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Chili! With 3 kinds of beans, diced tomatos, over brown rice with a salad of red cabbage, diced tomatos and fresh spinah

Mrs Quadcrew
02-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Pita pizza here. Small whole wheat pitas, tomato puree (with garlic and basil) sauteed chicken breast, zuchini, onion and garlic with a little low fat mozzarella. YUM!

rockinrobin
02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Mrs. Quadcrew, I make pita pizza also. I split the pita bread in half so that I get 2 circles. The "crust" gets nice and crispy and it's less calories.

Tonight will be salmon, baked with fresh garlic, lemon juice and topped with broiled sliced tomatoes. Served with a spinach, red leaf lettuce, red onion, sliced strawberries and mango salad. Dressed with a touch of balsamic vinegar. Yummy.

nelie
02-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I think it'll be leftover beef, beans and grean beans. DH has a dinner meeting so it'll just be me and the kitty.

lilybelle
02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm making whole wheat pasta tonite with sauce and ground turkey. Green beans and a salad with light balsamic vinagrette.

SexyRevealed
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Tonight I think is pork loin.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
It'll be wild salmon here tonight too. Baked sweet potato, and a steamed vegie & salad.

mandalinn82
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
A frittata (made with mostly egg white, rather than whole eggs) with leek, broccoli, bell pepper, goat cheese, and a tiny amount of diced sausage for flavor, plus a side salad.

I love frittatas...they feel so decadent but are SO easy to make low-cal.

jillybean720
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I think tonight will be a wannabe chicken cordon bleu (sans breading)--boneless skinless chicken tenders baked with a brushing of dijon mustard, sliced ham, and thin-sliced Swiss cheese. We'll probably have it with brown rice or a little whole-wheat pasta, maybe mixed with some dijon mustard and frozen chopped spinach.

rockinrobin
02-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Tonight will be grilled chicken cutlet, topped with a broiled sliced tomato on a bed of spinach and garlic. Maybe some green beans with it.

Cheryl14
02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
We're having those cute little thin boneless pork cutlets today. This time I am adding some Winking Lizard BBQ sauce to them in the last few minutes of cooking. We're having fresh carrots, broccoli, and yellow squash as our vegetable and also a spinach and lettuce salad. My son is making dessert tonight. My MIL got us this neat apple cooker. You core the apples, cut one strip around the apples and place them on these little posts. You then add some brown sugar and cinnamon and a touch of butter to the little hole of each apple. They bake for 35-40 minutes and are DELICIOUS!

My skinny husband and son will NO DOUBT top THEIRS with vanilla ice cream, but THIS GIRL is having hers PLAIN!

Happy Eating, Everyone!

Cheryl

Penney
02-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Tonight was a veggie pattie (veggie copycat of the chopped steak pattie) a salad and a wheat role.

Sounds boring - but it was actually pretty good........

RitzyFritz
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Mine was VERY plain tonight! I had one-half of spaghetti squash (baked) and about 15 ounces of sweet potato. That was it. It was filling and satisfying. It came to about 460 calories (because I used canned sweet potatoes), but it was a lot of food and filled me up. :-)

jillybean720
02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Dinner tonight is another of Jeff's favorites. I'll make a whole box (a pound?) of wheat pasta, add a jar of marinara sauce, 2 tubs of Trader Joe's bruschetta, and a bag of medium frozen shrimp (also from TJ's). This will feed us dinner for both of us tonight plus lunch for Jeff for the next 2 days plusy maybe dinner on Friday as well (thursday night is Subway night).

Cheryl14
02-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I've been cooking, cooking all weekend and all week, so we're heading OUT for dinner! I usually get either a salad with grilled chicken on the top or a small steak with steamed veggies and a salad. I'm not big on dessert, but I AM looking forward to a nice piece of crusty bread! Amazing how you can actually taste the BREAD when it isn't slathered with a whole pat of butter!;) Who knew?!!!

Happy Eating!

Cheryl

mandalinn82
02-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Baked pork tenderloin, parmesan couscous, and my signature lemon-garlic green beans -

take a large pan and spray with cooking spray. Add a big bag of green beans, washed and ends removed. Stir w/ spatula until all of the green beans have a little bit of the cooking spray on them, then pour in 1/3 cup chicken broth and cover the pan. Cook until the green beans are barely crisp-tender. Meanwhile, while the green beans cook, mince 2 cloves of garlic and combine with the zest of one lemon, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Remove lid from green beans when they are nearly done, add in the lemon/garlic mixture. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the top, toss, and cover until the green beans are cooked how you like them.

rockinrobin
02-07-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm having a chicken breast stir fry tonight with whatever vegetables are left in the fridge. I will be doing my produce shopping tomorrow. So it's onions, red pepper, broccoli, green beans and some spinach. Cooked with tons of fresh garlic, crushed red pepper and some chicken broth.

Penney
02-07-2007, 07:55 PM
My hubby cooked tonight (so sweet) we ended up having "fish and chips" - he even made the effort to bake everything. But it was all very good.... he even put together a very nice salad. He was trying to think of something else to put out and I explained to him that everything he was thinking of was carbs, even the veggies and fruits he was suggesting. It was rather sweet and we ended up agreeing on some sliced colby-jack cheese and sliced pepper jack cheese, for the protein value. He definitely gets a gold star for effort!!! :cp:

rockinrobin
02-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Tonight's dinner will be spaghetti squash with fresh tomato sauce and grilled chicken cutlet.

Charbar
02-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Today is my son's 2nd birthday. Happy Birthday Elijah!! So it's his favourites - pasta (but for the very first time we are doing whole pasta - so cross your fingers that everyone likes it!) and of course, birthday cake. (it's in the oven as I type.)

Dana

Mrs Quadcrew
02-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Tonight will be spagetti squash here too. I cooked it off yesterday so all I have to do is reheat it and top it. I am going to saute some fresh mushrooms, zuchini, onion and garlic to top it with. A little cheese on top and a salad too.

Penney
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Tonight was roast beef sandwiches.....

I cooked lean roast beef lunch meat, yellow bell peppers, chopped garlic, onions, sea salt and pepper. After it was cooked I used a single slice of provolone cheese, let it melt over the top and put it all on a wheat hoagie roll. It was very very filling......

rockinrobin
02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
First I gotta tell you about last nights dinner. It came out soooo good. I made my spaghetti squash. Okay. Then in a frying pan I sprayed a bit of Pam and browned a thinly sliced onion. I then browned bite sized pieces of chicken breast which I had seasoned heavily with garlic powder and onion powder. I then added a few tablespoons of jarred fat free marinara sauce, some crushed red pepper and the squash. It was like really, really easy and really, really delicious. Like restaurant quality delicious. Like good enough to serve to company delicious. Okay, I'll shut up now.

Tonight is my usual Friday night fare;

Small bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup
Roasted chicken breast with carrots
Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and green beans cooked in a little chicken broth.

Angihas2
02-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Mexican Casserole. I get recipes daily from allrecipes.com and had to alter this one to be more healthy, BUT I think it's going to be great.

 1 tablespoon olive oil
 1 large chicken breast
 1-2 (14.5 ounce) cans dice tomatos, no salt added, with juice
 1 bag frozen corn
 8 ounces red kidney beans
 8 ounces black beans
 1 cup cooked brown rice
 1/2 serrano chili <to taste>

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Brown the breast about 5 minutes on each side, shred as it cooks
Remove from skillet and drain oil.
Mix the tomatoes, corn, beans, rice, and chili into the skillet.
Bring liquid to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute, until heated through.
Transfer the tomato mixture to a baking dish. Arrange the shredded chicken breast over the mixture. Bake covered 30 minutes in the preheated oven.

I still haven't decided if I should go get corn tortillas or not, but they're a huge weakness for Matt, so we'll probably pass on them. Also having a salad with loads of spinach and red cabbage.<my kids are on a red cabbage kick, they love that their lips and faces turn purple when they eat it, I don't care why they eat it, as long as they like it :D>

Charbar
02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.smartchicken.com/

tonight we are having spicy roasted tomato chicken sausage - yummy! with mashed potatoes! :T

SexyRevealed
02-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Tonight was pizza (and not the good kind)... One of my favorite foods. The funny thing is, it doesn't taste the same. I honestly enjoyed the grilled chicken salad I had for lunch better than pizza. WOW, I can't believe I'm typing this, but I'm so happy I didn't enjoy it!!!

TempleBody
02-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Tonight I did not feel like cooking at all so I ate 2 very thin whole wheat parthas (chipati, roti...something like a tortilla), canned lentils that I doctored up with seasoning, a romaine hearts w/ caesar vinaigrette

rockinrobin
02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Tonight's dinner will be my usual Mondy night fare.

Grilled chicken breasts on a bed of garlic and spinach, topped with a broiled sliced tomato. Probably some green beans as well.

Cheryl14
02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I have just 100 calories to play around with for dinner because I have already eaten 1500 today, and it is just 3:30PM!!! I guess I will have a H-U-G-E spinach and lettuce salad with green peppers, onions, tomatoes, and spray salad dressing!!!

The family will be having chicken cooked in thyme, parsley and rosemary with boiled potatoes and a salad.

rockinrobin
02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh please Cheryl, go on and eat the chicken. It's all protein so don't get worried about storing it as fat. If every now and then you have a higher calorie day so be it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Eat the chicken Cheryl. I sure as heck would. It sounds yummy. :D

rockinrobin
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
What's going on here, am I the only one around here who eats dinner? Just kidding.

Tonight will be a stir fry with onions, red pepper, tons of mushrooms, broccoli and chicken breast. I use chicken broth as my base with lots of garlic and some ginger and crushed red pepper. Very tasty.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-13-2007, 07:28 PM
You're not alone, I am here too!;) We had Chipotle - I eat 1/2 of a chicken burrito (no sourcream) A whole one the way I get them is 1200 calories, so 1/2 of it is my 600 calorie dinner. We get them once every 2 weeks or so - and I am a happy camper. :D

RebaR
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Tonight was chicken cooked on the foreman, baked sweet potatoe (1/2), and steamed asparagus. it was yummy!

shelby897
02-13-2007, 10:48 PM
My husband worked late, which used to make me eat junk with the kids -- so since we didn't I must be getting the hang of this!!

Made "quick fettuccine cacciatore"
chopped up chicken breast
green pepper strips, mushrooms
diced tomatoes
lite italian dressing
chopped basil leaves
fettuccine

Mrs Quadcrew
02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I roasted a turkey for us to have this week! So tonight it will be turkey breast, coucous, brussel sprouts, and salad.

rockinrobin
02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Sounds yummy Mrs. Quadcrew. I love, love, love brussel sprouts.

I am making one of my usual meals. It's gonna be spaghetti squash, browned onions and bite-sized chicken breast and some tomato sauce and spices. All mixed together. I'm really looking forward to it. I think I like food too much. ;) Duh.

healthytoad
02-14-2007, 09:56 AM
crab cakes, lobster bisque, and salad for Valentine's dinner (I made the broth and will use light milk and cream..not great calories wise, but better than it could be! )

phantastica
02-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I found a cajun-shrimp stuffed peppers recipe online and made it the other day. I substituted wheat germ and ground flaxseed for half the breadcrumbs topping, used red, green, and yellow peppers, used wild and brown rice instead of white, egg beaters instead of egg. It turned out divine.

rockinrobin
02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Tonight will be fresh salmon, baked with spices and topped with a sliced broiled tomato. With roasted asparagus (my new favorite veggie) and garlic. Yum.

nelie
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Dinner tonight is leftovers.

Chicken breast (1/2 breast) with brown rice, broccoli and black bean.

NurseMichelle
02-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi girls!!! I know I should read the ENTIRE thread before replying (I'm up to page 2) but I am curious about all this stir fry! Do you make it in a wok? Do you use oil? How do you use the sauces? I get the different veggies, the chicken, the brown rice (the rice is seperate right?) so mabe that's what I'll make tonight too, I picked up some BEAUTIFUL peppers and onions yesterday. Thanks for any tips!

Mrs Quadcrew
02-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I use a large regular skillet - a tiny amount of olive oil, LOTS of fresh cut up vegies - a little meat, a lot of garlic, some lite soy sauce - and brown rice cooked seperately - my FAVORITE meals!!

I first cook the meat, then remove it and set it aside, then I cook the onions and garlic, remove that from the skillet and throw that on the meat, then cook the vegies (hardest ones go in first) - and toss it all back in the skillet together - add some soy sauce and mix it all up then serve over the rice.

nelie
02-15-2007, 09:35 AM
I actually read that you should only use a wok if you have an oven built for one, which hardly anyone does :) One of the best pants for stir frying is a deep skillet. I've made stir fry's before and if you are using a nonstick pan, then you don't need any oil. When I make my stir frys, I use a little low sodium soy sauce, maybe some chili sauce and stir fry the meat and veggies together then serve over rice

rockinrobin
02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Michelle, is that you?? I'm so excited you're here!!!! Why not pop in here more often? We'd love to have you.

Anyway, my stir fries vary depending on what's in the fridge. I use a large non-stick frying pan. A spray a little Pam and a bit of olive oil, less then a tsp. I always start out with a sliced onion and usually sliced red peppers. I brown those and then add the quicker cooking veggies. Like zuchinni and mushrooms, lots of mushrooms and broccoli. Sometimes I add spinach, green beans, carrots, whatever. I push my veggies off to the side and then add cut up chicken breast, skinless and boneless of course, which I have seasoned with garlic and onion powder. I brown that and then usually add some fresh garlic, some chicken broth and I like crushed red pepper and a little bit of ginger powder and onion powder. Let that simmer for a bit depending on how soft you like your veggies. I like them pretty firm so at that point it's just a couple of minutes. You can add a little soy sauce if you like that flavor instead of the chicken broth or both. Experiment and play around with what YOU like. Yes, the brown rice cooks separately. Pop back in, let us know how it goes.

NurseMichelle
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
OH that was so fast!!! Thank you! (yep, Robin its me! I'm stepping out of my comfort zone a bit, longtime lurker, increasing poster)

I'll post again tonight or tomorrow and let ya'll know how it goes!

One of my favorite dinners is whole wheat pasta, roasting my own vegetables in the 450 degree oven, topped with the marinara sauce (usually a pretty simple tomato puree or whatnot) sometimes a bit of shredded parm.

I like spaghetti squash too, even the kids eat that.

I can't wait to make pita pizzas either!

RitzyFritz
02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Anyway, my stir fries vary depending on what's in the fridge. I use a large non-stick frying pan. A spray a little Pam and a bit of olive oil, less then a tsp. I always start out with a sliced onion and usually sliced red peppers. I brown those and then add the quicker cooking veggies. Like zuchinni and mushrooms, lots of mushrooms and broccoli. Sometimes I add spinach, green beans, carrots, whatever. I push my veggies off to the side and then add cut up chicken breast, skinless and boneless of course, which I have seasoned with garlic and onion powder. I brown that and then usually add some fresh garlic, some chicken broth and I like crushed red pepper and a little bit of ginger powder and onion powder. Let that simmer for a bit depending on how soft you like your veggies. I like them pretty firm so at that point it's just a couple of minutes. You can add a little soy sauce if you like that flavor instead of the chicken broth or both. Experiment and play around with what YOU like. Yes, the brown rice cooks separately. Pop back in, let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Robin! I needed that. I will have to try your method soon. Sounds gooooood!!

Mrs Quadcrew
02-15-2007, 08:14 PM
We had roasted turkey, couscous, and cooked carrots. Our Grandson LOVES cooked carrots!

Angihas2
02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Brown rice topped with red and black beans, chicken and salsa. YUMMY!

rockinrobin
02-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Your very welcome Ritzyfritz and it IS good. Let us know how you liked it.

My usual Friday night dinner. I am soooo boring. But the truth of the matter is I actually love, love, love every dinner that I am eating. And every lunch and every breakfast (even the Fiber One cereal) and every snack. I think before this lifestyle change I was too busy shoveling everything in my mouth and never took the time to appreciate the food. I never really enjoyed what I was eating. I sure ate enough of it, but there was no pleasure in it. And now I thoroughly enjoy everything. Weird. Okay, I got a little off track there.

Homemade chicken noodle soup, small bowl

Roasted chicken breast with carrots

Separately roasted brussel sprouts, asparagus and cauliflower.

sharonrr
02-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Tonight I am going to make buffalo tenderloin steak with lots of spices on the gas grill with on nice spinach salad and sweet potatoes.

Angihas2
02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Haven't decided yet, I think it's going to be fish and a big salad, some fruit to finish it off.

NurseMichelle
02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
The stir fry was YUMMY! I saved the chicken/veggies for a wrap today's lunch. Tonight's dinner will probably be Lean Cuisine, because the family has a birthday party to go to and I have to work so I'll probably stay home and rest up. Plus the dinner at the party is like sloppy joes and chips, etc.

rockinrobin
02-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Michelle, I'm so glad you liked it. I eat stir fries 2 -3 x a week. Love what you are doing with the leftovers.

Penney
02-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I have family coming over tonight - so I am doing pasta and marinera - of some kind...

I just have to divide and make everything twice - they get freaked out at the thought of whole wheat or multi-grain anything much less using "fake" meat - so I have to come to a happy medium somewhere..........

Angihas2
02-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Penney, just don't tell them it's whole wheat. It took Matt 6 months to notice! He only noticed when I asked him to get the pasta down and he couldn't find it.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Same here Penny - I used the Barilla Plus first, and no one "caught" it, so I then used the WW - and still no one noticed the difference ( I just put the sauce on before serving it!) Now they know, but since they've been eating it for 2 months without knowing it, no one complained!:D

Dinner here will be pizza tonight - mine will be WW tortilla for the crust!

Penney
02-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I think not putting the sauce on it first is where I messed with my brother and his family. They could see the difference in the color. My crew are quite happy with the differences that I have made - as my son puts it - "As long as it is edible I will be okay - I can get a pizza at the mall."

I love that kid - - - - for 15 he does pretty good with compromises.

I decided on seafood marinara - I am using sea scallops, garlic bread (ww), field green and baby spinach salad and for dessert - angel food cake with a berry medley topping and for those that chose to do so - I have whipped cream. Those that do not like my healthier cooking can pick up a 99-cent heart-attack from McDonalds on the way home..... :rofl:

rockinrobin
02-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Tonight my parents and sister are coming over for dinner. They haven't been here for a meal in months and months. They are in for a bit of a different meal then they had the last time they were here, that's for sure. My old meals consisted of 2 main courses, one meat, one chicken (always fried), many starchy side dishes, a heavily dressed salad and at least 2 desserts.

For tonight:

We'll start off with a bowl of red lentil soup.

Then it's baked chicken with lots of onions. I'll also make a chicken stir fry with veggies like mushrooms, red pepper, zuchinni and broccoli. I'm making the 2 kinds of chicken in case they don't like one of them. But I'm pretty sure they will like both. They've had the baked chicken before, not the stir fry. I'll use the leftovers during the week.

Roasted asparagus. A tiny diced cucumber, plum tomato and onion salad with a lemon oregano dressing.

Dessert will be a sliced fresh pineapple.

Angihas2
02-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Asian Beef Stir Fry with brown rice, salad and fruit to finish it off.

Penney
02-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Tonight I tried two new recipes:

Corn Stew - that turned out pretty good - a little bland so I added some sea salt and ground pepper - that was all it really needed.

Mediterranean Eggplant and Beans - I SWEAR I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS - that left a lot to be desired....... I will not be making that one again.

Live, learn and try something else new...........

Mrs Quadcrew
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Large salad with ww couscous, cheddar cheese, and turkey breast added to it.

Eggplant - that is one I haven't tried to do anything with yet.

sharonrr
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Mahi mahi on the grill with lemon pepper and a large salad with lots of vegetables.

Mrs Quadcrew
02-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Mushrooms, onion, garlic and scallops sauteed in broth over spaghetti squash.....and it was DELICIOUS!!! I also had a cup of tropical fruit too.

rockinrobin
02-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Mrs. Quadcrew that DOES sound delish.

I am about to have a 3 oz piece of salmon, baked with spices and topped with a broiled sliced tomato with green beans on the side

SuchAPrettyFace
02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
whole wheat pancakes,
vegetarian sausages
banana-mango salad
milk to drink

(bacon for the carnivores in the house. I don't have to eat it.)

Angihas2
02-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Left over mexican casserole, which is black beans, red beans, shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, green chilis, brown rice and all stewed together and then baked, topped with salsa

raw spinach and red cabbage salad with peas

royalsfan1
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce and turkey italian sausage. Leftovers from the freezer....it's piano lesson and track practice night after volunteering at the school all day. No time to cook!

Bran muffin for dessert.

mandalinn82
02-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Chicken breasts baked with roasted red pepper and reduced fat mozzarella cheese, steamed broccoli, and brown rice pilaf.

rockinrobin
02-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Tonight's dinner will be spaghtetti squash. I will make a sauce with sauteed onions and mushrooms and Morning Star Farm Crumbles (it's a soy based veggie ground beef) and marinara sauce. I can hardly wait.

Angihas2
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Flank Steak marinated in reduced sodium soy sauce, garlic and rice vinegar, salad and veggies.

mandalinn82
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Stirfry of lean pork tenderloin, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, and bell pepper, with this spicy ginger miso sauce i found, served over brown and wild rice.

Tomorrow - yellow bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey breast, brown rice, shredded zucchini, chopped tomato, and small amounts of parmesan and 2% cheese, baked until golden, with a side salad.

rockinrobin
02-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Tonight will be sauteed onions, spinach, mushrooms and chicken breast strips cooked with lots of garlic.

royalsfan1
02-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Tonight will be sauteed onions, spinach, mushrooms and chicken breast strips cooked with lots of garlic.

Yum! I love onions sauteed with mushrooms. I've never considered throwing spinach in there....I've got to add that to next week's menu!

rockinrobin
02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I love spinach it's tasty and oh so healthy. I try to throw it in as often as possible.

I'm making a big pot of chicken soup to freeze. So I will be having a piece of the chicken breast. Along with a 1/2 of a small sweet potato and parsnip that cooks in the soup as well.

mandalinn82
02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I am roasting a chicken, green beans with lemon and garlic, and parmesan couscous.

rockinrobin
02-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Tonight's dinner is one of my absolute favorites. I used to make it in the old days breading and frying my chicken cutlets and then adding flour to the sauce. I have recently modified it to make it a lot more healthy and it's JUST AS DELICIOUS, maybe even more so.

Chicken marsala with lots of mushrooms and onions in a wine and garlic sauce. I'll be serving it with roasted asparagus. I used to serve it with yellow rice.

royalsfan1
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Chicken jambalaya made with organic brown rice.

royalsfan1
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I am roasting a chicken, green beans with lemon and garlic, and parmesan couscous.

I'd LOVE a recipe for parmesan couscous!

Mrs Quadcrew
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Tonight is beef night here. Roast with potatos (sweet ones for me) carrots, onions and celery, salad, and roasted asparagus too! (I could do with out eating beef forever, but DH still wants it.)

nelie
02-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Tonight is fish tacos, kind of :)

Black Bean/tomato/corn medley
Brown rice
Baked chipotle whitefish
Sliced bell peppers
Corn tortillas

finn
02-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Tonight for me is spaghetti with homemade pesto, pine nuts and roasted cherry tomatoes. Stewed cooking apple for desert. yum!

rockinrobin
02-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Tonight's dinner is a rare dairy meal.

I will be making a spinach souffle with low fat cheese and skim milk. I will serve it with a big salad and maybe some kind of soup.

Charbar
02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
It's Wednesday,

so it's homemade pizza night here.

royalsfan1
02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Wednesday night is kids night at church so everyone eats there. I will eat leftovers from the freezer tonight. At this point I'm leaning toward taco soup.

bizlawchik
02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I have been wanting pizza, and I stayed on my plan yesterday when the family had it, so today I am picking up the Lean Cuisine BBQ Chicken Pizza (which I haven't had in about 4 months), 3c of romaine lettuce w/Salad Spritzer and 6 baby carrots.

Having a soy protein bar for dessert. (I know how to live, don't I?)

mandalinn82
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
LOL - I'd love to GIVE you a recipe for parmesan couscous. It would go a little something like this: go to store. Buy Near East Parmesan Couscous blend. Cook according to package directions (except I normally throw away the white couscous in the box and replace it with my ww couscous from trader joes...). Fluff and serve :-). The box says it makes 3 servings, I make it 4 and they are still plenty big. Boxed couscous mixes, made with my whole wheat couscous, are a lifesaver for me in terms of getting side dishes with some fiber on the table quickly...cooks in just a few minutes. And since I go to the gym right before i eat dinner, I usually need the carb-refueling anyway.

Tonight - sausage, barley, and vegetable soup. Now this ISN'T from a box...have the leftover chicken body with garlic, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and pepper simmering away right now to make homemade stock. I'll cook it, cool it, strain it and skim off the fat, then cook chopped carrots, celery, zucchini, and onion in the broth. Add a few Aidell's chicken sausages and 1 c. of pearled barley. Cook 30 min until the barley is tender, and wilt in a few handfuls of arugula at the end. I love the smells of soup cooking all day!

mandalinn82
02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh, and last night was chicken breasts (baked really simply - salt and pepper only) topped with homemade tomatillo sauce that I made and froze this summer when I was flooded with tomatillos, roasted asparagus spears, and spanish brown rice (I have been trying to make my own spanish rice FOREVER so I can control the sodium/ingredients and make it with brown rice...I'm getting closer).

phantastica
02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Tonight is going to be a leftover Indian dish I made earlier - lentils with zucchini - served over quinoa and with a side of cooked carrots.

WeightOnMyMind
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Tonight I am cooking for family, and not myself, so I am making them teriyaki baked chicken with a home cooked sweet and sour sauce and pineapple glaze. Also cooking up some stir-fry veggies and tossing them in with egg noodles. Oh, and I made bean salad. They begged me for it.