100 lb. Club - addicted to fast food;

View Full Version : addicted to fast food;

trappedinfat
01-31-2007, 07:19 PM
I 100% honestly and truly believe that i'm addicted to fast food. Last year I lost 30 pounds by strictly cutting out fast food but suddenly something came over me and I got back on it. For me it's like a drug, I spend all of my hard earned money on it and it feels like such a waste! It's like i'm paying to make myself fatter, and it doesn't even taste that great, I just eat it!

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I just crazy? Any tips? Anything at all will help, really. Thank you so much!

DramaQueenLucy
01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
I am the same way I would hit up the drive thrus about 15 times a week at my worst. One thing that helped me was a picture of myself that I taped to the steering wheel of my car. It is really hard and they are everywhere I found that I really couldn't cut them out but be more selective about what I get like a burger and side salad not a #1 large with a coke.

sharonrr
01-31-2007, 07:35 PM
I used to be like that. I had to have a quarter pounder with cheese everyday. Then someone told me that a kid that was working at a local fast food establishment crapped and put it in the meat.:devil: Problem solved. No more fast food burgers.
Sharon

futuresurferchick
01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Well one tip I could offer is, like Colleen already mentioned, you can be selective about what kind of fast food you get... like getting a salad instead of fries (and skipping the fatty dressing), asking for no sauce on your burger, avoiding anything deep fried like chicken nuggets/fish etc, and getting a low-calorie drink like diet Coke, bottled water, hot tea or something like that. I realize no one goes to a fast food restaurant for salad :dizzy: but if you find yourself in the drive thru, don't let yourself order what you would normally get!

Even a small change like getting a small fries instead of a large could make a HUGE difference in terms of calories and fat.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Fast food addiction is very real. Its cheap, easy and full of all of the things that our taste buds have become used to and like very much. But, just like all addictions....alcohol, nicotine, sugar, even chocolate :)...the addiction to fast food can be broken. For me personally, I avoid fast food like the plague! I know my weaknesses and its better not to tempt myself.

trappedinfat
01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Thank you all so much!
I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who does this. I feel like i'm the only one sometimes.. like i'm the only big person going through the drive-thru.

Thanks surferchick, but ahh I hate doing that. Substituting things for other things I don't like such as salads. I'd rather just have nothing at all sometimes ya know? But thank you so much, seriously, you guys are great and always here to help!

CyberGypsy
01-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Please watch supersize me......you will stop that moment :)

futuresurferchick
01-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks surferchick, but ahh I hate doing that. Substituting things for other things I don't like such as salads. I'd rather just have nothing at all sometimes ya know?

Well if you can avoid going there altogether then that's even better. :)

avsfan2
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I agree with CyberGypsy...watch Supersize Me and that will help. Also, read the book Fast Food Nation. I read this while I was pregnant with my daughter and I was in a real McDonald's kick. About half way through the book I was SO turned off by all fast food that I almost never go now. I NEVER ever crave it like I used to and I only go if I'm like taking a long road trip and my only option is fast food at a gas stop or something. I avoide it at all costs now, though. Seriously, if you become educated about what's *really* in your fast food you may change your mind. It makes you look at it in a whole different light. You almost will stop looking at it as food at all. My addiction was literally gone after reading that book.

Charbar
01-31-2007, 10:39 PM
I watched "super size me" tonight - if you watch this it could make all the difference for you.

KateRN
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
i also struggle with an extreme fast food addiction - i keep a food journal now and i noticed there were literally WEEKS where that was all i ate!!!

its HARD to break the habit!

*hugs*

HarpoChicoGroucho
01-31-2007, 11:25 PM
I also suffered a serious fast food addiction -- I would steal cash from my parent's to go to Mcdonald's. And when they started accepting credit cards, then I would go nearly every day, sometimes more than once a day. On June 1, 2005 -- I just stopped cold turkey -- absolutely NO fast food of any kind for a LONG time -- but I now can go to Mcdonald's occasionally and the crazy craving doesn't come back after I eat some fries or a cheeseburger. There is an incredibly interesting science behind the craving for the high fat and sugar content in fast food. Basically, the more you eat, the more your body craves it.

And on a side note, watching "Supersize Me" made me WANT Mcdonald's (after I kicked the habit). But I resisted -- I went out and had Taco Bell instead after turning off the movie and seeing a commercial for it.

debsarooni
02-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Watch supersize me chick. Especially the bit where it shows how they make chicken nuggets. ICK!

It does get addicting and I know it can be hard as its cheap and tastes good but you need to look at the break down. Shock yourself. I used to work in starbucks and would end up eating all the left over cakes and things as they were thrown otherwise. Anyway one day we were looking at nutrition and I couldn't believe the amount of fat and calories. Major shock to the system. So maybes you could get a nutrition sheet to keep refering too?

Have you tryed hypnosis? Paul McKenna has a cd and book out here and he focuses on you can eat what you want as long as you enjoy it and chew it and really taste it. Ive been working on that. Still letting myself have some treats but slowing down my whole meal and Ive found since really tasting things, some stuff I used to eat is too rich to eat to much now - like dougnuts. I can very rarely it one now where as in the past in my bad days I could eat a whole pack in one sitting :o

lewelaine
02-01-2007, 04:45 AM
I guess try to make the same things you would buy at the restaurant at home. But make lean versions like small hamburgers and homemade baked fries and things. As time comes on I think you'll come to like your own versions better since they are not processed and better for you.

EnglishMuffin
02-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah me too - former addict - recovery helped by watching supersize me. I used to have headaches and only feel better if I had my fix - just like it said on supersize me - was scary! But think there's also just the association between hunger - when I'm hungry I go to the drive through - it's so easy to just point your car in that direction. Maybe give yourself a once a week treat and so you eat it as a planned thing and it might make it easier to work on for the rest of the week as it's tough breaking that addiction!

EM

jillybean720
02-01-2007, 07:52 AM
I was definitely a fast food addict. I was literally at McDonald's or Wendy's just about every day (sometimes twice a day). And I would get more than just a normal meal--I'd get like 2 double cheeseburgers (or 2 jr. bacon cheeseburgers), a large fry, and a milkshake (or Frosty). Sometimes, I would just order 2-3 kids' meals so they would think I was bringing it to kids, not eating it myself. It even got really bad at one point where the McDonald's on my way home from work did not have a drive-thru, so I had to GO IN to get my fix (Lord knows why there was no drive-thru--it's a stand-alone McD's, not in a plaza or mall or anything, but anyway...). I would usually take in a piece of paper with me so I could pretend like the food Iwas ordering was for multiple people, like I was reading their orders off a list :dizzy:

Anyway, for me, there is not a chance in the world I could find myself at a McD's ordering a salad. It was MUCH easier for me to cut it off cold turkey than to try ordering healthier menu items--the temptation was just too great, and honestly, I go to a fast food restaurant with one thing in mind, and it sure ain't their salads :devil:

I actually changes the route I took to/from work to take the highway instead of the normal roads so I wouldn't pass those restaurants. The drive was actually longer miles-wise, but it saved me both calories and money, so it was worth it. If that's not an option, then stop carrying money. I've done this in the past, too. I would leave all cash and debit cards at home and only carried an unactivated credit card for emergencies. Just be sure you have enough gas in the car before you leave home with no money ;)

Oh, and like harpo, I watched Supersize Me, and it definitely did NOT turn me off of fast food. I mean seriously, before watching that, i already KNEW the stuff was full of garbage and bad for me--watching some guy puke it up out his car window certainly didn't change my mind--the food still tasted the same to me! :devil:

SexyRevealed
02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Yes, I'm definitely in fast food recovery. I'm determined to stay away as well. If I HAVE to go (which I haven't so far but you never know) I'll try to make the right choice, but it's tough with all the bad stuff staring back at you.

My best advice is just to avoid fast food completely. Carry healthy snacks with you in case of emergency. I always keep a couple of Zone bars or something in the glove compartment.

jtammy
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
My name is Tammy and I am a recovering fast food addict. I ate fast food every weekday for lunch for 5+ years. Many times I had breakfast there also. For me it was a case of the more I ate it the more I wanted it. Different things work for different people, but for me the best thing to do was to quit cold turkey. From the day I started over 1 and 1/2 years ago, I could count on one hand how many hamburgers I have had. I haven't had an order of fries since then. Honest to God, I don't miss it a bit.

If I had tried to eat smaller amounts of that I feel sure that I would have failed. I know I would still be 340+ lbs if I had tried to have a smaller burger and a small order of fries instead of my supersized whopper and fries because the cravings would have eventually led me to start overeating again. If you try eating smaller amounts and still have cravings that won't go away, don't give up. Try going cold turkey instead. For me, after a few days of eating whole unproccessed foods, the cravings were gone.

Good luck!

Eves
02-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Fast food was part of my lie to myself.

I have a very physical job. I'm an archaeologist, my job was to basically go and walk muddy, uneven corn or soybean fields all day. As I was munching down on a quarter pounder and considering the apple pie I would wonder why I was so fat. I mean, I literally walk about 6 hours a day at a good pace. But, I would eat fast food every lunch because, well, when the wind chill is about 0, the last thing you want is a salad.

It took me a bit to realize 1. I don't burn many calories while walking. I had to buy a HRM to figure this out.

2. How many calories I was stuffing into my face, five days in a row.

No. I can't go inside a fast food place anymore. I can't even look at them.