Weight Loss Support - 3 weeks no results

View Full Version : 3 weeks no results

kamby
01-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I havent been 'dieting' but I have cut back on a lot of things in my diet such as no soda, less fast food, not so many sweets. And I have been walking at least a half mile almost everyday, but yet I still weigh the same. Any ideas?

Cheryl14
01-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Kamby!

Welcome!:wel3fc:

Try drinking more water and adding more fiber to your diet. Congrats on the less fast food and sweets.:)

Cheryl

booklover
01-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Congrats on your efforts so far. Even if you haven't seen any results, you should pat yourself on the back for making the choice to lose weight and eating less fast food. Plus you are on the right track especially with the exercise.

If I may offer suggestion, try developing a plan for losing weight. Pick a particular diet and/or exercise plan and try it out for a week. I started this month by cutting back on fats, rejecting fast food altogether, drinking 6 glasses of water a day and walking with a friend once a week. I fell off and on the wagon a few times, but managed to lose 6 pounds over two weeks. Then I tried the South Beach Diet, increased water intake from 6 to 8 glasses a day, walked a little more, and lost another 15 pounds. You may see more results if you develop a plan, and try it out for a week or two. For me, water really helps curb the cravings, and exercise makes you feel good, so those are two great things to focus on.

Good luck to you. Stick with it, don't give up!

almostheaven
01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
It depends on a lot of issues. You may have cut back on fast foods, but are you making up the calories in other stuff and not realizing it. You have to burn 3500 cals to lose just a pound. A small cutback would take awhile. Say you were getting an extra 500 cals a day before, it would now take you 5 days of 500 less cals to lose just one pound.

And...how fast are you walking. A slow saunter isn't going to burn up a lot of calories. You need to take a look at your daily calorie intake vs. outtake. You could try plugging some numbers into www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) for a normal day and see where you stand.

JayEll
01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
You're definitely moving in the right direction! Yay! You probably just need to do a little more to lose. But, you haven't gained in 3 weeks, and that's good too!

I agree with almostheaven--figure out the calories (there are good online calculators that let you do this--for example, FitDay) and increase your speed a little bit when walking.

Jay

sharonrr
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Great suggestions. Even if you start simple with writing down everything you put in your mouth and the exercise you do for 14 days. Then at the end check it out and see the not so good food choices you are making. Maybe too much bread, fat free foods can be high in sugar even though they don't have any fat. Sugar makes us gain, just like fat does. You can do it.
Sharon

Heather
01-31-2007, 10:24 AM
I was going to say just what almostheaven did. Track what you're eating, see where you stand food-wise/calorie-wise. Then see where you can cut back some.

Think about upping the intensity of your exercise -- again, you can do that over time.

Getting this to work can take time -- but don't give up!!!!!

Tara D
01-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Definitely track what is still going in your mouth. You are probably still eating enough to maintain your weight, but not enough to gain. Count the calories, see where you're at. Fitday.com is great.

Mami
01-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Before you started your plan of cutting back, you may actually have been gaining (a lot of people gain several pounds each year). So by cutting back just a bit, you may have stopped gaining but may not be creating a calorie deficit to lose.

alinnell
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Ditto on writing it all down. If you can remember exactly what you've eaten the past couple of days, go back and start there, otherwise start now. Analyze to see how many calories you have. How many calories are coming from whole foods and not processed foods. Once you know a rough estimate on how much you HAVE been eating, then cut it by a few hundred calories (never go below 1200 per day).

Try incorporating whole foods into your diet. Get rid of anything that has hydrogenated vegetable oil in it (most processed foods have this). My doctor told me to stay away from white. I've switched to brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread, ww tortillas, ww pasta. I eat a lot of fresh and frozen vegetables.

Stick with it, you'll lose eventually, but in order to do it, you need to know what you are consuming. Good luck.

LLV
01-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I havent been 'dieting' but I have cut back on a lot of things in my diet such as no soda, less fast food, not so many sweets. And I have been walking at least a half mile almost everyday, but yet I still weigh the same. Any ideas?

You're probably still taking in more calories than your body needs. Or, like a couple of the others said, you're taking in enough to maintain your weight. I did the same thing, cut out what I thought were 'bad' foods, went to diet soda, cut out sweets, etc. But once I tallied up what I was still eating, I discovered that even though I was cutting out the junk, I was still consuming too many calories. You'd be surprised how much you're eating unless you keep track of it.

Not so many sweets? That means you're still eating them, right? Nothing wrong with sweet treats now and then, but you need to look at how often you're eating them and how much of them you're eating.

LESS fast food? How MUCH less? It's best to avoid it altogether.

You're on the right track, but you should track your food for a while (as someone else mentioned, try fitday.com) just to get an idea of how much you're eating. Anything I eat I enter it into fitday and stay under a certain amount of calories every day.

QuilterInVA
01-31-2007, 03:04 PM
A half a mile walk doesn't burn many calories but it sure a step in the right direction. I can see your problem clearly - fast food and sweets. You need to have NONE not less. To lose weight, calories in must be less than calories burned. Good advice above.

kamby
01-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies, It very well could be eating too mch I suppose. I tend to eat 1 pop tart in the morning (im not a morning person so I dont have time to eat a breakfast before time to go off to work) Then for lunch I normally have a sandwitch and a bag of sunchips sometimes inbetween I will snak on the 100 calorie oreo packs. Then dinner normally varies sometimes pasta, sometimes chicken, sometimes a tv dinner, ect.

I understand diets can be expensive, and right now im on a budget, I dont want to be one of those people who starves themselves.

My workout - I tend to do a 'power walk' for my half mile everyday sometimes I use 1 lb weights in my hands and move my arms, I think im going to change my walk to 'Power Walk' for the first half mile then tone the speed down because when I do the power walk my legs near my ankles hurt alot then do another half mile to total a mile.

I will try to use that calculator and track my calorie intake. Thanks for the advise.

SmartButt
01-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Kamby - congrats on making the effort to change. I was like you and had no idea how many calories I was eating. I really like Fitday, it's fun to use and easy. Just make absolutely sure you count every single last bite of what you eat when you enter it in that day. Don't "forget" the bag of M&Ms you caved in to at snack time, or not enter in fruit because it's healthy... (a couple of things I've heard of). The key is to be 100% honest with yourself.

Good luck! Check out the calorie counters section under "general diet plans" if you want more support on calorie counting!

kamby
01-31-2007, 07:27 PM
I checked out fitday, looks interesting, I will try to keep up to trac with it best I can,what is a good number of calories I should have a day?

SmartButt
01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
The advice most people give is to just track the calories you normally eat, then subtract 500 a day. So, you can either keep eating what you're eating for a week and then do that, or perhaps start with one number and go down from there, depending on results.

I would say 1500-1600 would be a good amount to try. If you're starving after a few days, up it, if not, try that out for a few weeks and see how it goes.

One thing I noticed about your sample food - you seem to eat a lot of processed carbs. I'd cut out the pop tarts, chips, pasta, sugary stuff and tv dinners. A big part of calorie-counting is learning to eat healthy and cook healthy. It's a common downfall to say you don't have enough time/energy to make healthy food. I think just about anything would be a better breakfast than a poptart. If you're looking for portability, try a piece of fruit and a snack-sized piece of cheese (the 90-100 calorie kind).

For other low-carb or "healthy carb" ideas, there are the recipe forums for the Sonoma and South Beach diets right here on 3fc. I don't follow those diets but the recipes are a great source for anyone!

almostheaven
01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Ditch the poptart, oreos and chips. It costs no more for an apple than a bag of oreos...and the apple is more filling. So you may eat less for dinner. The poptart is just empty calories, also likely causing you to eat more at lunch and dinner. Same for the chips. Try veggies and dip, or crackers and hummus, lots of things that will fill you up more than chips. Try oatmeal in the morning. I guarantee you it's cheaper than poptarts. For dinner, try changing to whole wheat pasta when you have it. TV dinners are ok sparingly, as long as you're watching what's in them. You can get the baked fish or grilled chicken...or you can get the batter dipped fish or fried chicken. The latter two will only hinder you.

JayEll
01-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey there,

You could also substitute some better quality bar instead of the Poptarts. It might cost a little bit more, but you would get more nutrition. For example, Kashi brand bars are good. They come in a box of six, I think. You would definitely get more protein that way, which is a good thing. And there are many other types of breakfast bars. Just be sure you check the Nutrition Facts label to make sure they aren't really high in carbohydrates.

The TV dinners are probably not as good as having Lean Cuisine dinners. These are also more expensive, although sometimes there is a sale. I don't know what I'd do without these dinners. But often they lack enough vegetables, so I usually have a salad with them or some other vegetable, like baby carrots. (which are a great snack, btw)

The FitDay program has a section where you can set a weight goal and see how much you would be able to eat to reach that goal. But one warning--in my case FitDay says I can eat more calories to maintain than I really can. I've had to set my activity level to basically totally sedentary when not sleeping, and then I add any exercise I do each day to that. Anyway, then you'll have a calorie target. Smartbutt's amount is good to start, just to see how that goes.

almostheaven, you are a real winner at losing! Awesome!

Jay

kamby
02-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Like I mentioned Im not on a 'strict' diet. I dont want to feel like im starving myself. A little snack bar about 4 inchs long and 1 inch wide isnt going to hold me over 5 hours till lunch time. A few carrots and dip isnt enough for me to have for lunch. I still want to be able to eat enough to hold me till the next time to eat a meal. This is something that you have to get use to over a long period of time.

Mami
02-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Like I mentioned Im not on a 'strict' diet. I dont want to feel like im starving myself. A little snack bar about 4 inchs long and 1 inch wide isnt going to hold me over 5 hours till lunch time. A few carrots and dip isnt enough for me to have for lunch. I still want to be able to eat enough to hold me till the next time to eat a meal. This is something that you have to get use to over a long period of time.

You're missing the point. Many of us do not believe in "diets" because they really dont work. Those who are successful at weightloss do NOT starve themselves on a small bar and a couple of carrots. That is very 80's! You need to eat healthy filling foods with a lot of fiber and some good fats. In fact, I strongly feel that you'll slow your metabolism down and not lose that much (except a bunch of water, plus some of your muscle mass) if you don't eat enough. Obviously you arrived at your current weight because you've been eating more calories than you're burning so you're body stores the excess calories as fat. So you need to eat less calories and burn more calories through exercise; no need to go overboard and starve oneself though. You should count a normal day before you started your "diet" and then deduct a few hundred calories from there. START OUT SLOW to get used to less calories and to put the focus more on learning about calories in foods and what type of foods you should eat. In the meantime, you need to stop eating foods that dont fill you up and most importantly, which make you crave more food. In other words, you can have a croissant for breakfast (which is loaded with butter and must have hundreds of calories) and you can have a large bowl of cereal w/ nonfat milk and some fruit. You must admit that you'd be more full on the second choice than the croissant yet you've saved a bunch of calories. For your snack, instead of 3 cookies that add up to 200 calories, you eat a FF yogurt with a few walnuts. More filling than those cookies but add up to less or the same calories. Point is you still get the snack, just not cookies. Something healthy will keep you going longer than those cookies. You still should eat plenty, but substitute lower calories things whenever you eat (nonfat milk rather than whole milk, so you still drink that same milk but you just cut out a bunch of calories). You also need to get that heart pumping to burn calories and speed up your metabolism.

As an example, my thin sister just doesn't like fast food, she lives in the UK and we just met up in FL this past weekend; I kept offering to stop at fast food and she kept saying she doesnt like it, so we went to subway every day for lunch. Its no wonder she's "naturally" thin. And mind you, she hasn't exercised a day in her life.

Just keep reading the posts on this site, you WILL get the hang of properly losing weight and keeping it off, and you wont be starving in the process.

JayEll
02-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey Kamby,

Some thoughts:

1. No little snack bar will keep you going for 5 hours. Neither will 1 Poptart! ;) Most good plans have 3 meals and 2 snacks in between. One rule of thumb is to leave 2 hours between meals and snacks. Some people add a snack in the evening.

2. Who said anything about carrots and dip for lunch? What a bad idea.

3. The point isn't to starve. We need to eat good, nutritious food even while we are trying to lose weight.

4. It can be very frustrating to try to lose weight, and especially if you're feeling like you're trying and not seeing results. We all know what that's like! Hope you can keep with your plan.

Jay

almostheaven
02-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I think she's confusing my mention of carrots and dip in place of chips. She should still have her sandwich...depending of course on what's on it. Bologna? No. Turkey or chicken would be better. Whole wheat instead of white bread is much better too. But have something better with it than chips. And have a healthier snack than oreos. I eat about 5 or 6 times a day. I don't keep oreos or chips in the house though. If I want something like chips, I much either pretzels or light popcorn. If I MUST have chips, I'll get a single serve bag of light chips rarely. I keep a bowl of fruit on my table instead of junk snacks in the house. If I'm hungry between meals, I'd rather grab and apple than oreos. I know it will stick with me longer.

Beach Patrol
02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the replies, It very well could be eating too mch I suppose. I tend to eat 1 pop tart in the morning (im not a morning person so I dont have time to eat a breakfast before time to go off to work) Then for lunch I normally have a sandwitch and a bag of sunchips sometimes inbetween I will snak on the 100 calorie oreo packs. Then dinner normally varies sometimes pasta, sometimes chicken, sometimes a tv dinner, ect.

I can see several problems right there. 1 pop tart is what... 220 calories? And HOW much sugar & carbs? And practically NO protein. If you're short for time & "not a morning person" as you've described, try a protein bar instead of a pop tart. Or an apple & couple slices of low-fat cheese. These are things you can take with you (on the run) & still be healthy.

Lunch is a sandwich & bag of chips. What kind of sandwich? What kind of bread? White? Wheat? Whole Grain? Do you use mayo? Mustard? Cheese? etc? A good sandwich is wheat or whole grain with turkey or chicken, low-fat cheese, lettuce & tomato. And I suggest you "bag" the bag of chips. Again, have a piece of fruit with/after the sandwich. MUCH better for you.

Dinner? Pasta.... white? Ditch it for whole wheat pasta. Chicken. Fried? Bake it instead. TV dinner... try Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers. Those are the best... but it's BEST to not go the frozen menu way more than 1-2x per week.

Yes, diets CAN be expensive. It's more expensive to eat healthy than to eat quick, easy junk. But in the long run, FOR YOUR HEALTH, it's less expensive. When you count knee replacements because of the fat affecting your joints, by-pass surgery because of those hardened arteries, insulin for your diabetes, etc. See what I mean.

And don't fret! - honey, it DOES take some planning, & it DOES kind of suck at first when you realize you will have to give up some of your favorite yum-yums. But keep in mind: A habit takes about 21 days to break. So if you can buck-up for 21 days, you CAN say no to sweets, chips, etc. The more healthy food you eat, the more your body will naturally crave it.

Good luck! - and stick around! - I promise you will get good advice & good shoulders to lean on here!

SmartButt
02-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Kamby,

Please don't get discouraged. I can tell you are getting defensive from your last post. Nobody here is trying to starve you, and nobody here knows you better than you know yourself. However - the women here just might believe in you more than you believe in yourself. And that can be very helpful and supportive sometimes.

You took the first step toward your goal, and that's coming here and asking for suggestions. You already cut out a few bad things for you, but you have to take a deep breath and realize that it just isn't enough... the chips/oreos/pasta/etc is going to hold you back if eaten frequently.

Take baby steps if thats what will work. Find something healthy for breakfast and swap out that pop tart. Eat your sandwich and chips for lunch, but ditch the oreos. Eat your pasta at night but try whole wheat. Experiment with low-sugar and low-white-flour foods until you find things that you actually PREFER to swap out the bad stuff for.

Trust me, if someone told me I could only have a snack bar for breakfast and carrot sticks for lunch, I'd smack 'em upside the head. That isn't what this is going to be about.

:hug:

Alright
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
As you begin adding more NUTRIENT DENSE foods in your diet, in place of the foods that are just wasted calories (chips, cookies, candy, bars, sodas) you will find you are less hungry and have more staying power till the next meal. It's hard to switch everything overnight, but you can do a bit at a time (though cold turkey is a good way to get the crap out of your body.) And yes, you will mess up, have cravings and binge on junk. Just get back on track as soon as possible.

Also a lot of diet plans talk these days about adding in the good things. If you eat enough fruits and veggies, and whole grains and healthy oils, chances are you will take in less of the bad stuff. As you feel better as you diet is improving, then you will desire less of the unhealthy foods.

I'm still devouring the 2 Superfoods Rx books, they are chock full of good foods to eat and why.

booklover
02-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Kamby, I bet you're sick and tired of all these people trying to tell you what to do. Please don't feel discouraged or give up. Many people feel quite strongly about their weight and diet issues (including me), so please don't take it personally if someone is trying to offer help a bit more passionately than you may be expecting to receive it. I don't blame you for feeling frustrated or even a bit defensive. Being fat has practically become a crime in the U.S. Plus, there's so much disinformation out there, it's hard to know what's truth and what's fiction. Further, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Most importantly, please don't feel you have to starve in order to lose weight! Many diets promote eating more food, as long as it's the right kind of food. Check out the boards on the Mediterranean diet, Southbeach, Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc. for more information. Personnally, I've never bought the argument that weight loss is simply about calories in vs. calories out. It's been my experience that reducing calories or increasing exercise alone will not result in permanent weight loss. I've tried it both ways, lost weight and then regained it all back plus more. Bottom line, you need to have the right combination of healthy eating plus exercise to lose and maintain weight loss. Glory87's weight loss story includes a very inspiring discusison of how eating more can actually help you lose weight. Here's a link to her story:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84601

Whatever you decide to do, please don't lose faith in yourself. You can do it!:carrot:

chick_in_the_hat
02-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I think pretty much all the suggestions I would have kicked in have already been said.

So, I will say :wel3fc: and :bravo: on this journey you have started upon.

fatBgone07
02-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi Kamby! I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. Once you start eating healthier foods, you get filled up easier. I used to be hungry all the time - could go to McDonald and have a 1/4 pounder w/cheese, large fries and a soda. I would still be hungry! I went cold turkey a couple of weeks ago and starting eating oatmeal for breakfast (very filling) for starters. I eat snacks during the day as well. I mostly eat fruites/veggies/ brown rice and oatmeal, yougurt etc....basically got rid of everything with preservatives and flour. My weight loss actually stalled because I was not eating enough calories! I bought some nuts to try to boost that a bit. I have never been one to like fruits or veggies! However, I forced myself to eat them and now I like them - I do not crave any sweets! Tonight I fixed my family pancakes, eggs and bacon for dinner (we like to eat breakfast at supper once in awhile). I did not touch any of it. I had no desire to. I am shocked beyond belief because I have never ever had this kind of willpower. I switched to whole wheat pasta- I could not tell the difference and neither could my kids! I also cut out caffeine - tough at first - headaches for 2 days, but now I do not even miss it! You have to "retrain" you body and your brain. Good luck!

almostheaven
02-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Loved what I heard just a couple days ago from the lady behind me at Bob Evans. She was having a conversation with her young kids about the meal. The kids had apparently been opting for Taco Bell. She said if they ate at Taco Bell, they'd be hungry again in 2 hours. The kids were in agreement and thought their meals were great.

Nikaia
02-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Yes, diets CAN be expensive. It's more expensive to eat healthy than to eat quick, easy junk.

Actually, the funny thing is...as long as I restrain my spending (don't buy macadamia nuts unless they're on sale, no need to spring for salmon every week, etc) I am actually spending about the same for the healthful food I buy now as I was for the junk food I used to eat.

I'm not a "strict" dieter either, Kamby. My housemate keeps wanting us to do X diet or Y book or whatever; I hate having a specific "plan" that I'm supposed to stay within the lines on. Instead, I pull the principles behind these plans and design my own. And yet I've lost 13 lbs so far, and I don't starve myself by any stretch of the imagination! My typical day consists of: Breakfast - 1 whole-wheat english muffin with a little bit of butter and organic raspberry preserves (one of my indulgences, money-wise), a bottle of water, and a glass of either orange juice or 1% milk; Lunch - brown rice, with stir-fried veggies (buy big bags of frozen mixed veggies and just heat them when you need them if you don't want to bother stir-frying them), homemade turkey chili, or soup over top of it, another bottle of water, and some almonds; Snack - a few slices of cheese and sometimes some beef jerky; Dinner - skinless chicken meat, usually just sauteed in garlic and shoyu, over whole-wheat pasta or more brown rice, or perhaps my grilled garlic-ginger-shoyu salmon with cooked carrots. I allow myself a few squares of dark chocolate after dinner and sometimes one square with my afternoon snack.

And even with that menu, I'm perpetually amazed at how little I'm eating, calorie-wise. I total it up in Fitday every now and again, about once a week, just to check up on myself, and there've been a lot of days where I'm barely breaking 1500 cals - without even realizing it!

But you know what? The people who said to take baby steps, they're right. And maybe you're not ready to give up the pop-tart (ickickick, I'm sorry, I just can't imagine eating those anymore, although I used to love them. They're pure refined sugar and artificial flavoring. Ew.), or the cookies, or your Sun Chips. That's fine; you go at your own pace.

But if you want to lose weight, I'd suggest that you really focus on WHAT you're eating, and not HOW MUCH of it you're eating, at first. Try to get yourself eating nourishing, natural, whole foods, and you'll find that they fill you up better and for longer and so you end up eating less without even trying.

almostheaven
02-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, diets CAN be expensive. It's more expensive to eat healthy than to eat quick, easy junk. Actually, the funny thing is...as long as I restrain my spending (don't buy macadamia nuts unless they're on sale, no need to spring for salmon every week, etc) I am actually spending about the same for the healthful food I buy now as I was for the junk food I used to eat.
I still don't get the health food = expensive idea. I remember paying over $2 for a bag of chips that would be gone in a few days. Yet a bag of apples will last longer, because they fill me up quicker. Not to mention that with the chips, I was eating more of everything else too. If I was eating those $2 chips, I was like also eating some of those $2/bx of popsicles or half gallon of ice cream, plus the .50 candybar, and throw in a little french onion dip too, can't forget that. So that $2 bag has grown more expensive as the day wears on.

I also find soda to be way more expensive than water. Since I drink very little soda these days, I'm "saving" money.

And yeah, a pack of outdated ground beef is gonna run a lot cheaper than a nice piece of salmon or haddock, or perch, tilapia...even less than skinless chicken. But then I'd need either buns and cheese or a box of hamburger helper, or the other ingredients for a meatloaf, etc. Because face it, who cooks hamburger and just eats it plain all the time? But no the salmon and the chicken and others...they're great! just grilled. No need to pour in a box of Helper mix to doctor it up, and you don't need to throw it between to large pieces of baked white flour gunk.

I guess I just came to the realization somewhere that I could tell myself how expensive it was to eat healthy and continue sabotaging myself, or I could look at it in a new light and be successful.

FullSteamAhead
02-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi Kamby and all,

First and foremost, Kamby congrats on cutting back on certain things and making progress towards your goal! That's how it all starts! As discouraging as it may be that the scales have not shown progress in the last 3 weeks with your sacrifices or modifications, you surely have and are making progress! :) Point in case: mid jan. I started making changes to my eating plan (n o late night eating, snacking more throughout the day, etc.) and did not lose anything but then I upped it a level! I Took and am taking it to the next level, cutting out more and it is so much easier in that I have been preparing myself. You have definitely taken a step in the right direction.

Quick history: I was slim most of my life then started putting on weight when I got married, starting with the honeymoon. I was not exercising and pretty much matching my husbands eating habits and the list goes on. About 5 years later after my weight kept spiraling, I gave up smoking, quit drinking, started exercising and eating healthy! I went on to losing 46 lbs. and reaching my goal. I started a diet and then the word diet became a dirty word to me, it wasn't a diet, it was a lifestyle! I kept this lifestyle for about 10 years!!! Needless to say, I didn't do it all perfect from day 1! It was a gradual process. It takes time, try to take it one step at at a time.

I think the other posters all offered great advice, I feel the same about the pop-tarts and chips. We are all different though! I for one cringe at the thought of fruit in the morning, I just can't do it. My mother needs to eat something dry in the morning like toast. As someone else suggested , perhaps replacing the morning pop-tart with wheat toast or english muffin. Personally, I would forego the butter. Maybe try some " I cant beleive its not butter" , a little squirt on it before putting it in the toaster.

You asked for advice and from what I read and get a sense of I think a good place to start would be with familiarizing yourself with calorie content of foods, etc . and the fit- day thing. I know it's boring and work to look at all the cals sometimes but that's only in the beginning, after a while you wouldn't need to do that anymore, after having a good idea about calorie content you could plan your foods or meal plan accordingly.

My other suggestions are to look at serving size! I am doing that now! We are so accustomed to large serving sizes in this country. I measure my rice for example (again you dont need to do this after awhile, you know by eye how much to have).

The other thing to watch for is fat calories. I don't like going over 30 percent, for example. Sugar and carbs too, but I would just start with these 3 basic things right now. I read the nutrition labels at the grocery store, interesting! Look at the nutrition label for butter for example. 1 TBS. is 100 or is it 120 cals? and look a t the fat cals, ugh.

Sounds like you like your carbs and if its one thing I love and crave its carbs of that sort! Pasta, bread, potatoes, oh and I love cheese! Well, I am restricting these to a minimum right now , there are no potatoes or bread in my house right now, lol. I'll post a few suggestions that helped me and help me when I led my healthy lifestyle and am now working on getting back on track: a little cut back of cals here and there really adds up!

1 percent milk or skim milk ( i have been drinking 1 percent since my healty lifestyle days, never went back). Limited....water, water, water!

eliminate soda if you can or if you must drink the diet version, though it is high in sugar.

green tea is great, you can make ice -tea out of it.

FOr breads or pasta, wheat is best (remember to look at and measure portion sizes).

Butter - In replacement of b utter, cooking with pam butter flavored cooking spray is a great alternative. " I can't beleive it's not butter" spray works great on bread.

Oil - avoid also a.m.a.p though olive oil is best, helps with bad cholesterol and has some benefits.

Mayo - I steer clear of It! Just look at the nutriton label! I use cains fat free mayo instead or mustard.

Salad dressings - Try a progresso red wine vinegar and add oregano, etc.

FOr sandwiches, I agree with one of the posters, turkey or chicken. Perdue slim n'trim chicken breast is delicious.

For protein dinners or lunches, etc. - Turkey, fish, and chicken are lowest in fat and calorie content, versus beef (which is about 100 cals. per ounce). When getting beef, it's best to get extra lean and steer clear of the fat.

For chicken, the white meat and no skin is best. A lot of the fat in chicken comes from the skin.

Okayyyyyyyy, I feel like I have rambled, hope my post is not too l ong, I am just trying to help. I think everyone here offered great advice, what a nice supportive crew! I wish you the best of luck kamby :) Keep it going!

FullSteamAhead
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I forgot something! lol :) My cheese! I have been eating kraft fat free american slices (the yellow one) for years! (Yes i love feta and will never give that up, but I tr y to cut back). Anyways, at only 30 cals per slice it really is tasty. I use it when I make omelettes and many many other things. A healthy grilled cheese sandwich: put 2 slices of this cheese inbetween 2 wheat bread slices and toast! Another tasty alternative for veggies, cheese broccoli! (minus the butter). Okay, I am getting out of control now, : ) and quite frankly, I am starting to get hungry now! Not a good thing ! It is 12:30 in the morning here! :D