South Beach Diet - This Week with the West Coast Chicks On The Beach

Bionic Beach Babe
01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi to all of you on SB on the West Coast.

Mamajok, Morning Star and I all feel that sometimes being we live on the West Coast, with the time difference, by the time we get on the post for the day, we are kind of left behind.:( ..so this is a begining of a new slot on SBD..:hug:

Lets try it, all of you who live west of the rockies.:^:

Which ever one gets on first in the morning can start our chat...How about it...Are you game? :)

Don't get me wrong...Ruth is there to over see us and wishes us well.:D We can still go on any of the post to post replies...

mamajok
01-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey Sis, great to be here...it's nice to see a post set about the same time schedule and me.

I'm feeling much better today.

Tomorrow back OP so I hope I finish out the month of January okay. I did blow it a couple times this last week when I felt so rotton but will be okay.

I look forward to seeing Morning Star here and any other gals from the West Coast.

Whoo Hooo Let's go girls!:carrot:

I love you sis!:hug:

Morning Star
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Hello West Coast, It will be nice to have post site. Hope we can talk about ou foods that we are eating. Had salmon for lunch. It wea really good . Got it at Cosco. Had fried onions and canned tomatoes on it.

mamajok: Hang in there. Glad you are back on the program, and feeling better.

All you West Coast Chicks, Read you later.

Bionic Beach Babe
01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Welcome Sis: so happy you are starting to perk up and back at it. When you weight in Wed. you will be glad to see what your total for Jan. is...It will be good. I know you.

Not so much raw fruit and veggies for you until your body adjusts to them...Love forever.

Morning Star: Welcome here. Salmon sounds good...I did get some out of the freezer then remembered I was having dinner tonight at St. Joes..so back into the freezer it went..

Try some of the recipes in the recipe site...everything I have tried so far has been excellent..The Taco Bake is out of this world and makes enough for 4 meals...

Wildwoman: Are you gone yet?

SwimGirl
01-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi! I am also from the west coast - Vancouver, BC. Nice to see some other west coast gals around!

I tried out the Taco Bake - but I didn't do so well with it. It tasted okay, but not SO good that I needed to have it again. :( I did however make spaghetti squash and a homemade meat sauce - very yummy!

-Aimee

mamajok
01-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Welcome Amiee! :welcome2: You and I are neighbors. I live in Lynden, WA just south of you. My DH and I come up to Hazelmere quite often for the lovely Sunday brunch...of course that was when I was not on a diet! :)

Morning Star...it's nice to see you post. I am waiting for my SB diet book then I will join you gals with the SBP...right now I will stick with what I am doing. I will be anxious to share SB recipes :stir: soon though.

Sis, this is great, so glad :woohoo: you thought of it and got it started.

Hope to see you all in the morning. I am an early riser so will most likely great you a 'Good Morning' too...for now, have a wonderful quiet and SB evening.

Bionic Beach Babe
01-30-2007, 01:16 AM
All of you...this is just a start...I am sure there are many West Coast Chicks on the beach...Welcome!!!

Morning Star and mamajok...so nice...we shall all move forward together.

Amiee: So nice to have you join us...more fun...our time zone...Welcome. Together we will all make it..
I love Spegetti Squash. wonderful with sause on top and also just "Can't Believe Its Not Butter"...Garlic too...yum yum...

All of you have a good night rest and read you tomorrow...

SwimGirl
01-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Goodevening! So I'm wondering something - do you find you GAIN from doing exercise on this plan? I just started a running program, 12 week training program, and I'm on week 2, and since I started exercising more ( I've also been swimming) I've really noticed my weight loss drop off. I really want to get to 219, just 5 pounds to go.. the sooner the better!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Lynden IS very close! We sometimes trek over to Bellingham for some shopping - you gals have some better stuff in the USA than we do! And cheaper!

-Aimee

Ruthxxx
01-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey, we might have a West Coast meet sometimes. My daughter is in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and I visit her at least once a year.

SwimGirl, good for you on the exercise. Sometimes exercise can increase your weight. I'm not sure but I think the muscles hold extra water for a bit until they get over the shock of being used so much. You might post your question in the exercise forum. I'm such I slug I shouldn't even THINK of giving advice.

mamajok
01-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Good Morning Girls!

Ruth when you get to come to the west coast let's hook up for sure! I will send you my address and phone number the closer the time comes.

Amiee, you can give me a call the next time you're down this way and we could have a cup of coffee/tea together right here in our little town.

Morning Star, keep up the good work - hey how's the organ playing coming along?

Sis, Good Morning Sunshine! I love you!:hug:

Have a great SB day all...Oh and Amiee, yes, excercise builds muscles and muscles weigh more that fat so don't worry if you don't seem to be losing lbs...you are.

Ruthxxx
01-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Muscles do not weigh more than fat. Sorry! They weigh the same but are smaller. Think of a pound of butter and a pound of feathers!

I'll definitely be looking up the west Coast Chicks next time I'm out there. I visit a friend in Langley, BC, and Lynden is just 33 minutes away! Put on the coffee pot, Chickies!

Bionic Beach Babe
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Morning all...Its 8:11 here in sunny CA..(overcast and cold)
Thought sis, mamajok would beat me here this morning, she is sure a early bird. So lets start the day out with a hardy best wishes that we all stay on tract today with each others help...Any questions or suggestions, stop in through out the day and post.

I am going to a friend house for lunch. She is having soup and bread... We plan to play games later...then off for swimming class tonight

Swim Girl: Buiding muscle takes less room than fat so even if the scales show no differents in weight, you will find your clothes are fitting better...Swimming is the one exercise I can do, :swim: Love it.

Nice to see Ruth checking in here too...Hey, even I would do my best to get up north, to not only visit my beloved sister but to meet all of you...:grouphug: Hope you wait until summer though.:cheer2:

I will be back later, after I cook my chicken...going to share a good idea then about making chicken taste even better.:drool:

Good Morning to Morning Star and sis, Mamajok:hug:

cinderly
01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Morning, West Coasters! (The sun's not even up, here, yet.)

We just moved into Phase II. Trying to take it easy on the fruit, but, man it's a struggle -- I LOVE fruit, and since we're doing SB, I'm not hearing nearly as much whining from the Other Human about the high cost of produce. :D I'm going to limit myself to a small Granny Smith a day this week, though. I made it through Ph I, I can keep myself to an apple a day.

Had the SB lime chicken last night -- so yummy! (I'll post the recipe this evening if it's not already up. It's from the orange SBD cookbook.) We're having salmon tonight. Another favorite. And I need to start thinking about next week's menu, since I get my produce co-op box on Thursday.

Swimming has always been my favorite form of exercise, but I'm having trouble finding the right combination of a free hour and an open pool! In the mean time, I've got quiet streets to walk on.

Ruthxxx
01-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Just to eliminate some of the work for the MODs, I've changed this to a weekly thread.

Please don't isolate yourselves from the rest of the chicks as there is lots of South Beach support and information in the regular daily thread.

If you want to be a strictly West Coast Thread, we can set up a Support Group in the main forum.

Bionic Beach Babe
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Got my chicken cooked..It is called "Mock Abalone"...You slice the chicken breast into thinner slices and then pound the heck out of it with mallet or saucer...then put into a bowl with 1 bottle of Clam Juice. Cover and let sit over night in the refrigerator...To cook. pour off the clam juice and dip each chicken slice in bread crumbs...(phase 2) takes about 1/4 cup for 7 slices. Brown in hot skillet (olive Oil each side. easy on the salt and pepper if wanted...I used dried onions and garlic and herb seasoning...when all browned I pour a little water in skillet, turn fire low and cover..cook for about 15 minutes longer...Oh boy is this good.

Cinderley:

Bionic Beach Babe
01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Got my chicken cooked..It is called "Mock Abalone"..You soak the chicken overnight in Clam Juice which has no calories...I will post the recipe sometime today with the recipes. Hope you enjoy it. Nice even cold

Cinderley::welcome: I too limit myself to 1 apple aday...I see grapes are on sale here for 1.00 a lb. but if I start on those I can't leave them alone...so will stick with my apple.

Your chicken sounds yummy too...How do you cook your Salmon...I usually fry mine...any other idea?

Ruth: Thanks for all your help...We don't mean to make more work for you. Appreciate your input any time. Have a wonderful day.

booklover
01-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Good morning west coast chicks! Nice to see everyone up and about. Here in Silicon Valley it is sunny and not too cold for a change.

I am in Day 2 of Phase II and trying to juggle the fruit and low carbs thing. Cinderly, I know exactly how you feel. I LOVE fruit and it was very hard for me to give it up for two weeks. I thought I would be able to eat fruit regularly in Phase II, but came to realize that I had it all wrong. We have to slowly introduce fruit back into our diet. 1 good carb, 1 fruit a day, and then building up to 3 good carbs and 3 fruits a day. SO HARD! But at least I like the rest of the menu. And I can always drink more water. I've lost 15 pounds on the diet (21 since January 1) so I'm not about to give up.

This morning I raced out of the house and forgot to eat breakfast. So I munched on some of the snacks I had packed (string cheese and tomatoes) to get by. Hopefully, that will work for a while.

Have a great day everyone. :)

mamajok
01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Back from morning excercise class...we are into our 4th week, twice a week and I am improving each workout. These are very different machines than we are used to. The club house has all the 'normal' type machines including treadmills...but the senior center only uses the type for balance. There are no treadmills for fear some seniors might fall off. After this course is finished I will join DH at the club house to use the treadmills:tread: there.

Welcome to Cinderly and BookLover :welcome2:
:)
Love those APPLES!:love:

Lubajo's chicken recipe is delicious...she's cooked it for me.

Ruth I did mis-speak about the muscle issue but I have been told that before...probably to make me feel better too. tee hee

BookLover...you are doing great on the SBD so keep on truckin kiddo!
I will be joining you all as soon as my book arrives. In the mean time I am doing a combo Atkins/SB so not too far off program. By the way, I love the name you picked...I too am a booklover.

Cinderly, I am anxious to read you 'lime chicken' recipe?

Will stop in later to chat again...in the mean time...keep OP gals, drink lots of H2o.

Smile, laugh and greet everyone with a positive outlook and it's suprising out that all comes back to us double!

I love you sis! :hug:

SwimGirl
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I am having a late start to my day - got an early morning call from work and it's been non-stop go until now. I'm trying to convince my bf that he wants to eat homemade meals everyday, no more eating out. It'll save us SO much money and then maybe we can buy me all new clothes cuz I'll be so skinny ;)

I am on day 3 of phase 2, yesterday I had an orange with breakfast, and with lunch I had pure juice mixed with bubbly water - so very very yummy!! I get very easily addicted to pop, and 2 weeks without was suprisingly hard. Today I had a whole grain wrap with breakfast (breakfast burrito!), and hopefully I lose 1-2 pounds this week.

thanks for all the reassurance with the exercise thing, I know I lose inches with exercise.. which is all fine.. but I want to see the difference on my scale! Everything takes time, but don't you get so impatient sometimes??

-Aimee

cinderly
01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
lubajo -- we usually bake or grill our salmon (we've got a nice, big Foreman grill to get us through winter!) Salmon is one of the primary reasons I'm not a vegetarian -- I love it too, too much to give it up!

I've still got at least another 3 hours of work before I can get home and post the chicken recipe. It's up! It's up! Phase 2 Lime Chicken! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103510)

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

SwimGirl -- We're not saving a lot over eating out, because produce is so darned expensive here, but I keep telling the Other Human that good health is priceless. I'm also hoping that if we keep eating well, I'll be able to lose some of the medications I currently take, which would definitely save money! :) (I'm hoping the produce co-op helps, too.)

Morning Star
01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm in here kinda late. Busy day. Went to a card making class. My neighbor went too . It was at a scrapbook and rubber stamp store. We got 10 cards made. Real pretty.

My eating is going well today. Gotta watch the eveing. Hardest part for me .

Hope you're all doing well. Read you later.

WildWoman
01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Got back from Arizona yesterday-didnt get as much information gathering done as I wanted-my frined had to fly out to California yesterday (I wasn't supposed to come home till today) but anyay-it seems as if there are a million things to do-whether I relocate there, stay here (and move the busness back into a commercial location downtown) or move to Bend, Oregon-where my boyfriend lives-but I am still thinking that is too soon for that-he has his girls to raise and I dont want to insinuate myself into that too much-long story.
Thinking about making razor clams for dinner-also considering trying clam chowder with cauliflower instead of potatoes-anyone done that?
Ruth-Naniamo is beautiful!!! You ever go kayaking? Actually my FAVORITE place for that is up out of Telegraph Cove to Johnstone Straight-the largest population of resident Orcas-AMAZING-you cant approach them of course-but sometimes if you just sit there they will go all around and UNDER you WHEW!!!!!!

SwimGirl
01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
cinderly - yah I would imagine produce would be pretty expensive up there! How about frozen veggies? In a pinch I have been know to make those, they are just as nutritious I'm told!

Morning star - I love making cards! Its super fun I think.. I start chatting online on my laptop at night.. very helpful to keep those fingers busy.

-Aimee

mamajok
01-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Wildwoman...so good to see you here!

You sound like you're really thinking things through concerning your move and your BF...good idea. Anything you put potatoes in works well with Caulifower as a substitute. I even use the cauliflower as my potato in potato salad! I have a lot of Cauliflower recipes I will share in time.

Morning Star...I too like to make cards, my ex-DIL had a rubber stamp store so I have quite a few stamps, pads, etc...it makes the person on the receiving end feel good knowing one went to the effort to make them a pretty card.

I am headed in the spend the evening with DH but will check in later to say goodnight.

Sis is at water class tonight so she will see us in the morning.

WildWoman
01-31-2007, 12:15 AM
I really like my boyfriend-but I am the first person he's dated since his divorce a couple years ago-so this is new territory for him and his girls.
My friend in Arizona on the other hand is already making me insane-

mamajok
01-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Good 'Weds' Morning West Coast Chicks!

It's still dark here but I am an early riser...bed sheets changed, washing machine running and DH waiting for me to start reading...you see, I read every morning (aloud) then DH reads the Bible, then we take turns praying. It's a habit we started the day we got married. We've been married almost three years (the 7th of this month) and fit like a "T"!

Morning Star, Wildwoman, Lubajo, Ruth, Swimgirl, Cinderly and Booklover...I am wishing you all the very best SB Wednesday possible! Maybe there will be more WCC's to say 'Hey' too...let's hope.

I will be back later to check in and see what's going on with all of you?

WildWoman
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Mamajok-CONGRATULATIONS on finding such a perfectly suited mate-sounds wonderful.
:D
Chilly here-wanted to go back to Arizona(it was in 70's there during the days) when I saw how thick the ice was on the car yesterday morning-haven't poked my head out the door yet to see how it is today, but I need to start running errands. Also need to grocery shop so I have good things handy-but wont have time for that till Thursday.
Hope all is well with everyone.
WW

SwimGirl
01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
It's a frosty morning here - I got up at 8am and drove the bf to work. I have to work today as well, until 7pm, yucky. I am thinking of going swimming tonight, I am really getting into exercise these days!

So I've been drinking (had 2 cans in 4 days!!) of this juice stuff, it's basically juice extracts and carbonated water. I thought because it was just basically fruit extracts it would be okay.. it's not :( So back to only water for me! I kinda messed up yesterday - I had this fat free ice cream thingy. I totally thought it was sugar free and only checked the box AFTER I ate it, poop! I am sucking royally on phase 2 so far!

Wildwoman - Arizona sounds nice about now.. I am ready for some warm weather!

-Aimee

cinderly
01-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Good morning, ladies! I hope everyone had a great Tuesday evening.

I've just finished enjoying this week's skinny soy vanilla latte. Mmmmm. :) (Looks like a picked a good day for a treat, too -- everyone else is freaking out and creating drama, this morning, and I'm calm and collected.)

Aimee, I think the beauty of SB is that if you mess up, it's fairly easy to get back on track. At least, that's what I liked about it before (I'm only 2-1/2 weeks in this go round). I tend to take the position that if I'm consciously making better choices, it's OK to not beat myself up for getting off-track.

I want some of that Arizona weather, too! It was almost 40 yesterday, but today is dismal and icy. Pffft.

lubajo, mamajok, and whomever else: the lime chicken recipe is posted in Phase 2 entrees! Yay! (clicky! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103510))

Bionic Beach Babe
01-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Noon now and just getting on...

Off to Water Class at 8, got home and DH and I cleaned house, I scrubbed the stove and we changed sheets on the bed...going to bathe the dog later as if she is going to continue to sleep on our bed, she must be clean!

Ruth and Girls: Ruth asked me if maybe, we wanted our own forum...I don't really know what she means...Ruth...does that mean we are still on the page with the rest of you...We want that!!! We are South Beach Chicks". We just want to be able to say each day...Tues with the West Coast Chick on the Beach" or Wed, or Thursday etc...to start each day out fresh...Explain to all of us...Do we need a monitor? do we have to find one? Maybe someone who has been here longer posting that lives on the west coast can do that or what? How do you do all that? Let us all know on a post so we can discuss it...thanks much...We still want to answer questions and give new threads like we do now with all of you...

Morning Star: Beautiful job on the Valentine cards...Hope I get one...Stay with the program today...We are here to help you...Any questions etc. let us know.

Wildwoman: So glad you are back...Missed you...I asked once if you found enough cheaper hay for this winter...no answer.
Did you read the post that Ruth might come out to visit, I believe her daughter, and we might all plan a place to meet, have lunch, and gab all together....Would be so wonderful to meet each other.

Swimgirl: Cinderly: Booklover: My best to you three too...We are going to make our goals together...Sure helps me and I know we can help each other do it... Read you all later

Oh good news, Almost forgot...13 lbs for Jan...I am so happy about it...DH and I are going out to celebrate for lunch...and back on program rest of day and tomorrow is the beginning of a new month and new goal for all of us...
DRINK YOUR WATER...WATER!!!

Ruthxxx
01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I didn't really mean a new forum. I just wondered if you Westies were still going to participate in the South Beach Daily Chat. There's lots of good stuff there too and I don't want you to isolate yourselves.

As long as you are all South Beachers, you must stay here of course. If you want a daily chat of your own, that'll be fine with me. It means another thread to monitor and close daily but that's no big deal. That's why we get the big bucks - NOT!

Bionic Beach Babe
01-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your answer...I would say on behalf of the rest that we would like a daily chat of our own...

Yes, we all enjoy posting on other post and also checking in with the South Beach Daily Chat...and checking the recipes...You are all our friends.

Just nice to know who is West of the Rockies and in our time zone. Sometimes just 3 hours makes a difference to those who can't get on first thing in the morning.

Glad you said it was no big deal...Really appreciate that...thanks for all your help and setting it up...

SwimGirl
01-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Why not a weekly thread? With only 4 people it's not like it'll get THAT huge, right?

I have to admit I am pretty intimidated to post in the big daily thread, everyone seems to know eachother so well!

I have done VERY well today, breakfast was 1 egg, 2 egg whites with veggies and some shredded LF cheese. Lunch was a salad with chickpeas, lettuce and a green pepper, and some parmesan cheese. I had a snack of cottage cheese and an orange. Dinner is kinda up in the air - possibly a taco salad. Yay! One perfect day I think, I'm making sure that I've had 4 cups of veggies today. I really want a loss this year, but I think now I'll be content to maintain.

I am babbling.. ttyl..

-Aimee

WildWoman
02-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Found some hay for $215 a ton-not the worst-but not as good as I was buying it. -hopefully soon things will be starting to sprout and grow-or at least warm up-they dont need to eat as much when it isnt so cold-simply eating and digesting keeps them warmer at night-and it has still been below freezing most nights.
Whatever it is I do decide to do-I am planning on rehoming at least 2 horses-why on earth one person would nee 4 is besides me-but I love them all-and am having a hard time getting ready to let go. I really have to though as the pasture I have been keeping them on (for free) is about to go under the machinerey-the guy that owns it is reworking it all with his caterpillar soon. No way can I afford to board 4 somewhere.
OK so I made some macaroon type chcolate chip cookies tonight very light on the coconut light on the choc chips, sweetened with Splenda. My problem is doling them out to myself one or two a day. eeek.
Hope everyone is staying warm
Beautiful day today-hope that sticks around-even if it doesnt warm up till later in the afternoon.
CHOW
WW

Bionic Beach Babe
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Morning Girls: Another day of life, another day to be happy and moving forward toward our goal this month.

We now have 7 of us West Of The Rockies, Swimgirl, Wildwoman, Cinderly, Booklover, Morning Star, Mamajok, and my self...good for less than a week's time. Our group is slowly growing but growing.

Nice to be able to post here, get to know each other better and someday be able to meet each other.

Wildwoman: You changed your picture. Very nice picture.
Too bad about the high price of hay there, 215. a ton, Wow! We used to have two horses, which our daughters enjoyed so very much...One died at 32 and was so beloved that we buried her on the home place.

It will be very hard for you to part with a couple but sometimes life is hard. Good luck on what ever you do.

My doctor canceled my appointment for that Dianotic shot yesterday after I had my self all braced for it...Now it is set for 12:30 today and I will have to mentally get ready for it again. Very painful. Dread it...Keep me in your prayers please.

Off to fix special hot cakes for my breakfast plus tomatoe or V8 juice. Water class tonight.

Will check back later to read all you girls...Today is a new beginning..a new month..and we are going to roll forward together.

Is the cookie recipe on file?...sounds good..Key word in eating them is rationing..

Love ya Sis!

Ruthxxx
02-01-2007, 12:13 PM
What's a "dianotic" shot?

Bionic Beach Babe
02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Sorry mispelled word..."Diagnostic"

Having Degenertive Arthritis in hip and in lower back the Diagnostic Shot is to rule out one or the other in causing pain. The shot will be in the left hip joints and if it works will kill the pain for 4-6 hours. If it doesn't kill the pain it will tell them that the pain is from the back... They say this is how they have to do to pin point pain when people have Arthritis in both areas....

Ruth: Please read my other post. I am wondering about cooking with snow?

cinderly
02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Yikes, lubajo! That sounds serious. I'm sorry they don't have a better diagnostic tool than shots. :(

SwimGirl
02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
lubajo - that doesn't sound like so much fun! Hope it goes well for you today!

So my body let a pound go during the night and I lost 1 pound this week. Which takes my total for 3 weeks on SB to 10 pounds. Phew, at least it wasn't a gain! I am technically not done the 3rd week until Saturday - but Thursdays are my normal weigh in days.

I guess in some sort of way I am lucky that I can't eat those cookie things, I have a pretty bad reaction to artificial sweetners. I've tried them all and get the same results - migraines, my throat swells up and I have a hard time breathing and I get stomach grumbles. But what I wouldn't do to have SOMETHING sweet, I have such a sweet tooth it sick!

Alrighty I am off to put my running clothes and head out the door! Have a good one ladies!

-Aimee

mamajok
02-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Finally made it! We had excercise class this morning then had to rush home to meet and interview a second lady for cleaning house...it looks like we may hire her. She would come twice a month to do deep cleaning. DH and I then called Germany to a couple we are contemplating exchanging homes with for a few weeks this summer. We also have an offer from a couple in France so we spent a lot of time discussing our dilemma of choosing between the two!

I had another bad day yesterday but today I feel better again...one good day, one bad day seems to be a pattern right now...test in 12 more days - yeah!

Wildwoman, what a lovely picture, you are very pretty! I am like you...one cookie and it would set me off :hun: so I avoid anything sweet as much as possible.

Swimgirl...congrats:cheer: on another pound loss!

Sis - I prayed the shot would go fast...let's pray the results will give them an answer once and for all and for the doctors to know what to do to alleviate your pain!

:dust:

booklover
02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to pass on a friendly warning to you. Maybe you know this already, but it was a surprise to me. I was looking forward to Phase II because I could eat fruit again. Everything went fine the first day because my fruit choice was an orange, fresh and natural. On Tuesday, however, I decided to have some cottage cheese with dried blueberries -- a personal favorite. I'd been saving the packet of blue berries for two weeks looking forward to my fruit choice in Phase II. Little did I know that the 1/4 cup serving of dried blueberries packed a HUGE calorie punch in the amount of 22 grams of sugar. (Yes, you read that right.) Holy cow!

I couldn't believe such a SMALL amount of dried fruit contained so many calories, not to mention CARBS! I'd eaten dried fruit from Trader Joes and Whole Foods before and it never had so much sugar. So, I checked the label on this particular packet, and sure enough I found the culprit: High Fructose Corn Syrup (a.k.a. SUGAR). All this time I thought I was eating well, and I was sabotaging my own progress. Grrrrrrrr. :mad:

In addition to the Southbeach forum, I've been reading posts in the Sugar Busters and Whole Foods forums on a regular basis. You can learn alot about the dangers of HFC and how it is hidden in packaged foods. Even before joining this site, I knew that manufacturers used both salt and sugar as preservatives, and tried to stay away from packaged and processed foods. Guess I should have checked the labels carefully. I certainly will NOW!

Good luck to you all.

WildWoman
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I was down another couple pounds this morning-but not updating my chart until I can weigh in at the gym-there is one of those scales like at the dr's.
Lubajo-that shot sounds awful-hope they are able to pinpoint the cause of your problems quickly-eeek
Mamajok-go to BOTH places would be my advice-:D wow-what an awesome summer to plan for-and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.
I got to see travel pix from my friend's last summer Iran and Turkey and greece-wow-I think if I started traveling I would never stop-amazing antiquities and ruins.
Booklover-what about getting a dehydrater? I am always concerned with whatever preservatives they put on stuff along with sweeteners you arent expecting.
Talk later-need to go to the (horse)feed place-story of my life LOL

mamajok
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, it's still dark outside but for me it's time to rise and shine!
I am looking forward to sunshine again today...yesterday was beautiful!

Here's wishing you all a great SB day - I will stop in later to see how everyones doing.

Thanks sis for the help...I'm going there now to see if I can do it myself!:)

I love you sis.:hug:

Ruthxxx
02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey, Mamajo, the new ticker looks good. I knew you could do it.

Booklover, scary stuff about dried fruit, isn't it? I used to think dried cranberries were ok but....:(

WW, sorry I can't send you some hay. Ours is good and a lot cheaper than yours. I guess shipping would be awful. :lol:

SwimGirl, good work on the weightloss! I bet you are proud of yourself and you should be!

Lubajo, thanks for the explanation. Sorry the tests are so painful but they may be worth it if they pinpoint the problem.

I'm still waterless but my friends are bringing me some buckets and jug full this morning. Charlie the Plumber has me on his afternoon list and has a few other ideas we can try. My sister just offered me her farmhouse until Spring but I can't see myself living over there for the rest of the winter. They are in the city for this time of year and I'd be pretty isolated.

Schatzi
02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Just popping in to say hello westies... :wave:

WildWoman
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Morning everyone
is coconut OK in any amount? I am tempted to make more cookies-but not sure if that is just totally off plan.
Gonna get back into the gym today for the first time in over a week-eeeek-it seems that I have to go every day to keep on plan there. Have done a ton of walking lately tho while temping at the warehouse job.
Thinking of relocating my own business back to a commercial space downtown as that was going much better then. (locally until I decide if/when to completely relocate)
GORGEOUS sunrise-layers of pink and orange clouds glowing around Mt Rainier-feel like I should be out riding my bike (used to do that a LOT) need to find the long bike pants and neoprene gloves as it is frozen out there tho.
Ruth-a farmhouse sounds like my cup of tea-but if it is so isolated I don't think I would want to live there alone either.
Hi Schatzi-what part of NC do you live in? I have only been out that way once-thought it was very beautiful, but people drove INSANELY-even the guy I was with-HERE he was normal sane-very conservative-out THERE-it was like a switch was flipped and he was Mario Andretti!

Ruthxxx
02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Sorry, WWoman, but coconut is NOT allowed. I think it may be OK in small amounts on Phase II but can't find it. I wish the darn book had a better index! Coconut extract might work OK and would be allowed.

WildWoman
02-02-2007, 10:57 AM
OK I will hold off on making more cookies till after I can get to the store and get some extract then -poo. thanks for letting me know Ruth. Normally I shop at this place called the grocery outlet-they get some wierd stuff sometimes, but also have a wonderful selection of organic and whole grain options lately-I picked up some millet flour-anyone have any word on that? I might make some breakfast muffins in a bit-mostly I use ground steel cut oats as the flour portion, toss in orange zest, walnuts and shredded carrot and whatever feel right at the moment.
Someone asked about the cookie things-mostly they are like the meringue ones listed somewhere, but I added a little coconut (mea culpa) and chocolate chips (I do know a few of those are allowed as the sweet treat)
I dont often use actual recipes-I just cook.

Schatzi
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Mario Andretti :rofl: They do love to tailgate out here...but I'm originally from Jersey... and commuted into NYC and da Bronx by car... so compared to there... Tarheelers are like Sunday drivers!

Millet is okay... most any whole grain ....

Bionic Beach Babe
02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Good Morning Girls: Another day of life, another day of work and play...All enjoyable.

Girls: Thanks for thoughts and prayers my way regarding the shot yesterday...It hurt enough where I had to hold on to the nurse. Dr. was kind and talked me through it.

I too wish they could find a better way to pin point where pain is coming from in areas close together, such as lower back and hip.

Enough of that talk: Really otherwise I feel very good! Going to a garage sale and then to meet daughter #3 for lunch, and shopping. Wanted to go to see "Because I Said So", but doesn't start until nearly 3...too late for us.
anyone of you see it yet? if so how was it?

It is so nice to read all your post...

Aimee: 10lbs in 3 weeks is outstanding!

Mamajok: Wow! France or Germany...If it's one or the other, I would pick Germany...

Excellent job on the tracker...Very pretty one, just like you. I knew you could do it!!!

Booklover: Thanks for the warning about dried fruit. I think I might invest in a dehydrator like Wildwoman says.
I have read the book "Sugar Busters" years ago...good book.

Wildwoman: I love your picture too...Very beautiful woman. You are like mamajo in being like Snowwhite with dark hair.

I am a blond. Took after my dad. Mamajo took after our mother. But anyone can tell we are sisters because of our mannerisms.

Ruth: Awful to have no water. Hope Charlie can fix the pump today.

Schatzi: Hi back to you. I bet sis is looking at Mt. Rainier too...I think that is the mt she sees from her house in Lynden, CA
I too ride a bike and hope to get going again on it as soon as it warms up abit.

I will be back later. Don't want to miss that garage sale. first for the year.

booklover
02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Hey gals,

I'm happy to report that I lost another pound this week. I'm now just 15 pounds away from my second mini-goal. :carrot: After the mishap with the fried fruit earlier this week, I was worried that this week would be a total bust. I'm finding Phase II has it's own challenges, but at least there is some progress. Still taking it one day, one pound at a time. :)

Happy Friday everyone.

mamajok
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Baaaaaaaaaaak...the sun is shining!

Ruth and Lubajo...thanks for the faith in me to produce my own ticker!

Thanks sis for the compliment but everyone needs to know...my 'blond' sister has the most beautiful peaches and cream skin we all wish we had. She is the most loving and sweet person you will ever meet. Love you sis!:hug:

Ruth...here's hoping your water woes go away quickly...I too would not want to be isolated out in the countyside...so let's stay put and hope for the best.

WildW...I look out at Mount Baker but she's just as regal as your mountain. It's funny how we call the mountain 'our mountain'...DH and I will say things like "isn't our mountain beautiful today"...not that we don't know who truly created her but we do feels she's ours!:) Congrats on the loss lbs!:carrot:

Hey Shatzi!

I am off to the humane society to 'hold and pet a cat'!...I have been allergic to cats my whole life...the people in France have an indoor cat...soooo I am going to hold, pet, rub, a cat...not wash my hands for at least a couple hours after to see what happens! Wish me luck...I truly want to go to France. I want to go to Germany also so maybe we can fit both places in...whoo hoo...no motel/food bills, just transportation there and back. We even exchange cars!

cinderly
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Booklover, congratulations! Glad you still lost, despite that sneaky dried fruit.

lubajo, it's good that your doctor looks out for you. I hope they're able to locate the source of the pain, and soon!

Ruth, still no water?! Eeek! (I think I'd be melting snow, at this point.)

Good day, so far. The executives I babysit are either out of town or behaving today.

mamajok
02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Booklover, we must have been on at the same time...I missed your good news!

Congratulation on the lbs lost!:carrot:

Cinderly...missed you too! Glad your day seems to be going well.

WildWoman
02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Schatzi-some of the SCARIEST cab rides I ever had were through Manhattan....
Lubajo-thank you for the kind words-i think I look dorky in pictures tho-maybe that is why I belong behind the camera. LOL
Booklover-you are cooking rght along-way to go.
Mamajok-I have a friend that lives up that way-it is very beautiful and a whole range of mountains to look out on-you are very blessed with the view. Careful with the cat thing-I had a friend that had allergies-I didnt even own a cat, but had one jump in my car-run through and jump out the opposite side and the next day drove with my friend and he had an episode.
Cinderly-too funny-TGIF! have a great one:D
WW

cinderly
02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Mamajok, please be careful with your allergies! (I finally went for immunotherapy a few years back. Insurance covered it, and the Other Human got his long-missed kitties as a result.) I've had good results with Claritin for low-level symptoms, but if you've ever gone anaphylactic, please make sure you've got the tools you need to recover!

WildWoman, you are beautiful! Not dorky, beautiful. I think that every time I see your new avatar.

Glad I could make you smile. My executives are still behaving, although one of them discovered the "all page" button on the phones this morning. We had a discussion about how, while it's really funny, making "Attention KMart shoppers ..." announcements every few minutes is probably not great for productivity. (And then I threatened to reprogram his phone buttons so they're mislabeled if he didn't stop.)

Morning Star
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Good afternoon, Lubajo Have a good day in town. I know you will. How did things turn out with your shot.
mamajok--France or Germany--Sounds pretty exciting!
Ruth--Sorry about your water troubles.

My weight is staying about the same but my blood sugars have been quite good.

Good-bye for now.

mamajok
02-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Again...well, the experiment went okay. It was a long drawn out thing though since I had to fill out adoption papers (just in case I decided to buy a cat!) before they would let me just pet one. I was brought into a small room and handed the cat of my choice and left alone for about five minutes. I cuddled, petted, rubbed and played with the cats (yes, I tried two different ones) and so far I am doing pretty well...My eyes are a bit watery but I think with Cinderly's suggestion of taking a Claritin will take care of that. I do thank you girls for your warnings.

When I arrived home I stopped and picked up the mail and there was a package from my sis...she made me the prettiest pink scarf I have ever seen...I love it! Thanks sis!

We decided on a housekeeper...she only lives one block from us and is a very nice young woman. She came highly recommended and is reasonable. We are having her come twice a month. I am so relieved to have someone I can count on now to help me with the climbing up on stools to reach high places, scrubing out showers, etc...getting old is not easy.

Morning Star, I'm glad your blood sugars are good...keep it up.

WildWoman
02-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Cynderly-but if you knewme-you would know what a big goof ball I truly am. LOL
hey-if you ever watch What Not to Wear-I am the "Leona" epi. Although edited like you wouldn't believe-you will get a feel for my dorkiness.
;)

cinderly
02-02-2007, 11:48 PM
WildWoman - awesome! I love WNTW, although it's been MONTHS since I had time to watch it (FT job + way too many classes = no TV). I'll watch the listings for your episode, though, so I can DVR it. :) (I'm also a big old goofball.)

Bionic Beach Babe
02-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Time for Bed Girls...Hope you all sleep well...

Booklover: Congrats. on your weight loss...You are getting closer and closer.

Mama Jo: I told Shatzi you were no doubt looking at the same beautiful mountain...for shame, how could you. Her in NC and you in WA. How dumb...Mt Rainier and Mt. Baker. I have them right now.

Happy that you found a housekeeper. I still have a need to do my own, of course with DH's help.

I was shocked to here about you going to spend time petting a cat. Oh my! I hope and pray you don't pay for that in your health. I just can't picture you staying in a house where a cat has been for how long? Oh My!

Shatzi: Sorry I got the mountains mixed up.

Cinderly: Sounds like your day went well. continue to do so

Morning Star: Keeping your Blood Sugar in a good and health range is a good step in the right direction. Wonderful!

Wildwoman: Do you have a copy of you in WNToW? I don't get that program here but have watched it in the past at mamajos...Maybe we can all watch it together, someplace when we meet. should be fun.

Good night girls...I feel like I am going to sleep good tonight...so off I go...Love to you all...Lu

SwimGirl
02-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Just wanted to let ya'll know I've alive... but barely. I have this killer headache.. and this screen is hurting my head more. Hope you all had a great on-plan day, I stayed 100% on plan. I also made the Chicken dish that has curry/cheese mixture and broccoli - yummy! Talk soon..

-Aimee

mamajok
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Gooooooooooooood Morning West South Beach Chicks!

As usual it's still dark but I am anticipating a beautiful sunrise...supposed to rain by Sunday but it's still only Saturday - Right!

Swimgirl...could it be the curry :p causing your killer :headache: headache? I had curry just once and will never even come close to it again...I got so sick I thought I would die! I hope you feel better as the day goes by.

Sis I actually did okay holding two kittens (about 6 mo. old) I had no dire reactions but we have decided it might not be the best of situations to put myself in. The German couple are very anxious to exchange with us. We've spoken on the phone...they are willing to stay there until we arrive so they can show us how to run the farm (haha!) so that's a plus.

Today I plan on 'setting my hair' and play with it to see just what I want to have done on Wednesday. I am going to have it frosted but let it grow...no perms for sure.

We have church tonight so will wear my beautiful :cp: pink scarf!

Here's praying a wonderful SBOP day for all!:dust:

Bionic Beach Babe
02-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Morning Girls: A bright and cheerie day to all of you. Sun is already out here in the Redwoods...Beautiful. May hit 57 today.:sunny:

Aimee: Sorry about your headache. :headache: Take care and yes, could be curry.:getwell:

Jojo: Glad you picked Germany..nice that they are willing to help get you settled and show you how to run the farm..:moo: .
What ever you do with your hair will turn out beautiful. Enjoy the day...Will E-mail later.:comp:

Me: Going to get ready for church. Communion today. Then pick up the two little ones. :hyper: DH and I are taking them to the zoo to see all the animals. Will be fun to watch their expressions. Hope the bears are out. Then HT for dinner. :hun:
Read you all later...:cheers:

mamajok
02-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Sis, we're on at the same time!!! Tried chat...:dizzy:

TisNew
02-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi all, gresham Oregon here, checked this out years ago . But did not follow thru did not know how to use the site.This time made up my mind going to do it. started monday lost 5 lbs and going to comtinue so can use all the help and advice I can get..Have alot I want to lose but 1 day at a time is going to be my motto.alway need ideas, my weakness has been chips and something to dip in those wonderful dips people come up with..Love to see all the suport here..every one have a great weekend.

mamajok
02-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey, TisNew, :welcome3: aboard!

Here's a group hug :grouphug:...this is a friendly :carrot: and encouraging group of ladies. You can ask anything and there will be someone to help with the answers. You can vent, laugh, cry, smile, bellyache, praise...just grab your :coffee: cup of
tea/coffee, sit back and enjoy!

We all have our weaknesses so we come here to let them go...it really helps to just come on whenever you're feeling stressed :fr:and read all the posts...sometimes I read them several times a day!

AmyWiki
02-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi girls- Fresno, CAli here! I posted my intro in the main section, but wanted to post more! As of today I am down 5.5 pounds since starting Monday morning (I love phase 1). I broke 120 (119.0), which made me giddy. In May, I was 112 which was my lowest, and I want to be back there. Hoping I can stick with P1 for another week, although, Girl's night is tonight and Superbowl is tomorrow. Those will be BIG challenges. I love beer and snacks...

Happy weekend to all!

Amy Wiki

5 foot 3
119 pounds
9 pounds to go!

SwimGirl
02-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the well wishes! The headache has cleared a bit, thank goodness! I was sick during the night as well, just a sore stomach with some nausea. Ick. Someone posted to me elsewhere that as your body loses weight that your fat cells release estrogen - and I am prone to hormonal headaches. Perhaps thats it - they do feel like it, I had wondered why I'd be getting them this early on. Maybe thats the answer!

I LOVE curry, I think I could eat it 24/7, and have definitely been known to eat curry stirfrys 2-5 times a week. Mmmmm!

I am making a yummy dinner, so I better go check on it. Hope you are all having a great weekend :) Sorry I don't have more time to post right now..

-Aimee

WildWoman
02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Everyone
Had a training day today for Home Depot-go again tomorrow(have to miss church-waaaaaaa) and am on the schedule at the store starting Monday-not sure how this "work a real job" thing is gona work out-have done it before tho-will be nice to have the benefits package as this whole self employed and single thing isnt always what its cracked up to be when the savings have been depleted and the work is seasonal. Was bummed to discover there is NOT an employee discount.:?:
My friend in Arizona is getting more realistic as to what it will take to relocate me and start my business up there-one step at a time.
I do have my WNTW episode on tape that they sent me-too bad they didnt have the hours and hours of other footage they shot that would be a riot I am sure. I was filmed may/june 05 and first aired late August of that year-and on over 20 times since-it is too funny-I dont watch TV myself, but can tell when I've been on again from running across people.
Hello there TisNew-waving down south a bit-wats new in your neck of the woods? Congratulations on the great start with SBD!:carrot:
Hello to you to AmyWiki-you are off and running as well!!! Have some veggies ready and maybe some hummus dip etc for your superbowl time. Best of luck
SwimGirl-my son loves curry too-I think it might have to do more with his fascination with Red Dwarf as he was growing up LOL
WW

mamajok
02-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

Wildwoman, good luck at the training at Home Depot. I watch WNTW whenever I get the chance and there's a possibility I have seen your episode. I love watching the transformation but always wonder if the people stick with the advice? The picture of you makes one think you certainly didn't need any help to look pretty! By the way, who turned you in? :o

Swimgirl - It's great to see your headache is all but gone. Glad to also see it was not the curry since you love it so much.:carrot:

Amy Wiki - Congratulations on breaking the 120 mark!:cheer:

The rest of you...have a great day today, those of you who love Football, enjoy the game along with good SB snacks.

Bionic Beach Babe
02-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Good morning Girls...A beautiful day, suppose to hit 60.

Tis New::wel3fc: Welcome here with us on the West Coast.

Amy Wiki: Same to you.:welcome: Nice to get giddy, especially over a weight loss.

We are happy to have this site where we on the West Coast can get better acquainted. Many of us check on the site off and on through out the day just for support on our road to success in losing our excess weight...:comp:

Aimee: Tomorrow is a big day for you! You can do it and be the best employee in the whole store...Personal service.. Everyone wants that...BUT, it's a darn shame, no employee discount!:mad: :club:

Swim girl: Glad you are perking up. :hug:

Sis: Next time I see you are on...I too will go to chat and see if we can catch up with one another.:cheer2:

Me: Yesterday was a big day at the zoo for our two little grandsons..Ages 2& 4...At first the 2 years old started to cry when he seen the monkeys but got over it fast seeing the other animals..By the time we hit the petting zoo part. he was brave and even picked up a curry comb and combed part of a goat...really cute...The 4 years old was interested but didn't seem to want to get his hands dirty petting the animals...On to HT...4 years old ate pretty good...2 years old..mostly Jello (Jiggles he says).

One nice thing about being a grandparent is you can take them home when your tired! They were both very good...Hardly a mess in HT.:D

Today, DH and I are having a quiet, peaceful day together. Reading and playing cards...Hey, if the weather holds we might get the bikes out...that would be enjoyable together:bike2: :bike2:

Tomorrow is weight in day...If I don't have a weight loss I shall confess what I did and what you should not do!:devil:

To all of you...Have a good day watching Super Bowl ! Watch those snacks today. Be:strong:

Ruthxxx
02-04-2007, 02:01 PM
:wave: at teh Westies.

Are you chickies going to start a new thread daily? If so let me know so I can close the old one every morning.

Please don't isolate yourselves too much from the rest of the continent. Those mountains aren't really that high! :lol:

There's lots of info and support in the regular daily too.

Bionic Beach Babe
02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes, Ruth...that is what I tried to do with a new thread one day and it was moved...

Does any one start it? Can we say "Monday with West Coast Chicks" then go on Tues, Wed etc.?

Many of us are still going to other post to read, and checkin...

I agree, there are many things to read, it is just that sometimes a person only has time for 1 post and they have to pick and choose. Thanks for your input.

Schatzi
02-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Anyone can start a thread. :) So if you want to do a daily west coast thread that's fine. And if you keep it consistent as "XXXday west coast chat" or something like that ,it will help. ( As Ruth noted, this way one of us Mods can close down the prior days thread.)

Bionic Beach Babe
02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Thank you...

Today girls it got up to about 63...DH and I went for a bike ride, about a 1 1/2 miles...I remember the days when I rode 50 miles in a day...Gone forever but good memories...

We also worked in the yard. I cleaned up and weeded 45 Strawberry plants...About 45 more to go tomorrow if the weather holds...

We love to have friends over for Sunday Breakfast. Belgian Waffles, Turkey Bacon and eggs...Also Tea or Juice to drink...We love to serve the waffles with Freshly grown Strawberries and whipped cream...this time of year it is Strawberry Freezer syrup, or Blackberry syrup with the cream...a very nice treat for guest....Any takers out there?

Yes, i stick with my Belgian Waffle made with R. Cheese and eggs...and Splenda syrup...