Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - "Red-Light" food poll...

View Full Version : "Red-Light" food poll...

Indychick829
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
So I'm curious - what foods - either "healthy" or "not so healthy" can you just not keep in your house?

I call these "red-light foods" because I know that no matter how hard I try - even though I'm fairly good with my portion sizes and such with most things - there's just a few things I can NOT keep in the house otherwise I will eat the entire box or more than 1 (or 4) servings at once.

1. Oreo cookies - have been known to eat the entire bag...if i'm REALLY craving them - I go buy a small pack from the convenience store.

2. Peanut Butter - I'll eat it right out of the jar. i know the fat content is the "better" fat for you - but it's still too high in points.

3. Pop Tarts - a full box of 6 WILL be gone in 2 days.

4. Cereal - really dry cereal of any sort. 1 serving just does not fill me up and so I end up eating 2 or 3 bowls at once. :-(

what are all of yours?

nelie
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Ice cream is something I can't keep in the house. I don't care if it is light ice cream, it doesn't matter.

Chocolate that isn't dark chocolate can't be kept in the house either.

mandalinn82
01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Cashews, or nuts of any kind.
Cake, or even frosting
Sourdough or french bread. I make exceptions, though, if I buy a single loaf for a single meal (for example - having friends over for appetizers, I'll buy a loaf with the understanding that it is ONLY for that meal).

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
COOKIES of ANY kind. Especially homemade, though. And especially chocolate chip homemade! I currently have a bag of oreos in the house for BF, and I haven't touched them since they've been here -- over a week!

Chocolate of any kind also! And chips, but they're not a big deal, because they've never really been around.

nelie
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh mandalinn, I am totally with you on the french/sourdough bread thing but I don't buy those anymore. DH started buying whole grain baguettes for me, but I had to tell him to stop because I didn't totally go crazy but I went a little overboard.

pudgeypam
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I can't have any chocolate or ice cream in the house. Even the weight watcher bars, I just can't stop at one! UGH!

LLV
01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Doughnuts.

Every time I walk by the bakery, everything looks and smells so good and sometimes I'll even stop to look at the pretty doughnuts in the case. But I always tell myself, "I will NOT pick those up and put them in my cart," and then walk away.

Another thing I avoid buying is potato chips. If there are potato chips in my house, I'm going to eat them.

Most things being around doesn't bother me. Chocolate doesn't bother me. Ice cream doesn't bother me. There's always ice cream in the house because I keep it around for hub and my 7-year-old son. Thankfully, though, I'm not a big fan of ice cream. I keep fudgecicles around for when I'm in the mood for something like that, but I don't eat them fast enough and I end up pitching them out because they get freezer-burned.

But put a box of doughnuts in my face and they're gone.

jillybean720
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
My trigger foods are pretty much ANY junk. I don't keep chips, cookies, candy, ice cream, etc., in my home AT ALL, not even the reduced-calorie, reduced-fat, reduced-whatever kinds :p

Indychick--I used to have the same problem with peanut butter. I could literally eat more than half a jar at once straight out of the jar. Reduced fat Skippy was my drug of choice (less sticky than the full fat kind). But have you ever tried natural peanut butter? I mean the super-plain kind where the ONLY ingredient in peanuts...no sugar, no salt, nothing. I find this to still be tasty in a reasonable amount on sandwiches or in smoothies, but I don't like the taste or texture of it right out of the jar, so I don't have the same problem as with the super-processed peanut butters.

phantastica
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Any pastry, cookie, ice cream, or other sweet-to-eat treat.

Potato chips, and frozen garlic/garlic-cheese bread. And salted nuts. And cheese.

Any food that was created for pleasure eating only, and has no nutritional value.

mandalinn82
01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I used to buy a loaf of sourdough and eat the whole darn thing.

Now, if I'm really having that craving and feel like I need to indulge it, I go to my local favorite bakery, where they have single-serving sourdough rolls available. I buy one, take home one, and thats it - once a month it can be a good thing. But I don't keep it in the house - I buy the single, eat it, and it is gone and not there to tempt me.

cantforgetthis
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Definately NO ice cream!

shelby897
01-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Candy, not just any candy -- for some reason the day after halloween or easter -- when the kids each have a bucket of those cute little candy bars hanging around -- which they don't even like, I can't stay out of them!!! And little debbie snacks -- the "lunch box" cakes in single servings, can't let them in the house.

alinnell
01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Cheese. And to think when I was little, I hated cheese. I'm actually pretty good at staying away from it, but when it's in the fridge and I'm in a snacking mood, cheese and crackers usually call.

I think cashews are beginning to be a problem for me. I am going to try and limit myself to only one serving per week.

I hear you on the sourdough. I will buy it once in a while and we'll eat the whole loaf at one meal. If it's leftover, you can bet that I'll be the one eating it....with cheese melted on top....for breakfast. A bakery near here has a great roll, somewhat similar to sourdough but with cheese and jalapeno baked inside. I usually buy two....

I don't seem to have a problem with cereal, chocolate or ice cream. But an open bag of raisins....too tempting to not keep reaching for a handful.

Cookies can be really bad, so I do not buy those, but if I do, I can usually limit myself. But that limit is often a limit of 6...or 8....at a time.

Tara D
01-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Dry cereal...Haven't bought a box in a couple years at least. I used to eat it between meals straight from the box. My favorite was Corn Chex.

I was getting a little concerned about some over-indulgences peanut butter a few months ago involving myself and the jar, but thanks to posting on here in a thread called "My battle with peanut butter", I was able to kick the over-indulgences habit in a week, despite the fact that I continue eat it every day in moderation. It's amazing what being accountable here can do. I fully recommend it to anyone who has a food that they would like to learn to keep in the home without over-indulging.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with dry cereal, but so far I'm very happy with eating cream of wheat every morning...Can't eat that straight from the box!

LLV
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing with dry cereal, but so far I'm very happy with eating cream of wheat every morning...Can't eat that straight from the box!

Mmm, I love cream of wheat, it's my favorite hot cereal.

trekkiegirl
01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I turn away from the Pringles at the store now. I was buying them several times a week. I still think about them, lol, but if they ain't in the house I can't eat 'em. Also, I don't regularly have Oreos and Chips Ahoy in my house but when I do have them, they are a big lure. Sometimes I eat peanut butter out of the jar, too, but it's usually maybe 3 teaspoons worth before I get tired of it or had enough of it, and there are days when I don't even think about it, so that is controllable, lol. I'm also going to try to cut back on the diet soda. I tend to drink about 2-3 cans a day...I want to at least get that down to 1. That I think I can control, too, because I've had stretches where there may be like two cans left in the house and I won't touch them for days. I drink a lot of Crystal Light Iced Tea and will probably end up drinking even more if I lose some of the soda. Cheese is a biggie with me, too, so I've basically scaled that down. And I stay away from those cheddar cheese spreads because I know I could go through them in 1 or 2 days. Honestly, if they said you could stuff your face with whatever you wanted and not gain a pound, I'd be constantly having pizza, cheese, cheese on crackers and potato chips. :devil:

grannyjc
01-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I like cream of wheat too. I think I will have to buy some for when I go on phase 2. The thing that I can't have in the house is potato chips. I will eat the whole bag. I like to eat raisins too. Last night I had to have something soft and warn in my stomach, so I made a small bowl of oatmeal with a few raisins and a little bit of milk. It tasted soooo good. After eating so many salads and veggies. Joyce

ennay
02-01-2007, 01:36 PM
homemade cookies - especially chocolate chip
doritos
pie
reddiwhip

icecream sometimes, Ive been doing better with it

sweet_talker
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I've got lots of the same:
- cookies (especially homemade ginger ones, or chocolate chip)
- chips
- sourdough (and spinach dip too lol...one of my favourite foods)
- candy of any sort
- cake chocolate with white icing, or carrot, or ice cream cake
- bagels
....uhhh...it's a bit extensive.

athenac
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Hot Cheetos and my mom's banana spice cake should not be near me. In fact, any of my mom's baked good should steer clear away from me. I've tried that whole "out of sight, out of mind" thing, but there's still a little voice in the back of my head telling me they're still there.

cupcake84
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
ice cream sandwiches
cheetos/chips
homemade cookies/homemade bread
chocolate bars
the list goes on and on and on and on lol

AquaWarlock
02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Potato chips & cookies & nuts for me.... but I still buy and occasionally go overboard on them anyways :)

Glory87
02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Anything sugary sweet (candies, chocolate), packaged baked goods (cookies, pop tarts, crackers, pretzels, cold cereal, potato chips), baked goods (brownies, scones, lemon bars, iced cakes, cakes), ice cream (1/4 cup serving would never be enough).

I don't bring any of that stuff into the house, ever.

choirgirlhotel
02-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Definitely chips. If I have ANY kind of chips in my house I will eat them. if I have ice cream or chocolate, it's much easier for me to resist. I never used to know what "spacing out" while eating meant until one day I was eating a bag of Superstore brand BBQ chips and "spaced out" and basically ate the whole bag and I didn't even realize it until the end. That was when I figured out, NEVER buy those chips again. lol.

But to tell you the truth, I don't keep ANY junk food in my house. It's way easier that way.

Ilene
02-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Ths is really silly but strawberry jam is my red light food :rolleyes: ... If I just happen to have a craving for jam I put about an inch thick on toast ... Then I'll proceed to eat most from the jar... sometimes I'll put some on the end of my spoon and dip it in my oatmeal, at every spoon fool ... gets pretty high in calories!

JaimePhan
02-17-2007, 12:30 AM
But to tell you the truth, I don't keep ANY junk food in my house. It's way easier that way.I gotta say, I am with you on that. There are too many things to list here that I would want to snack on or devour if they were in my house. I am so thankful that my super-skinny for no reason (hate him ;)) boyfriend is being so cool about my better eating habits. We haven't gone out to eat in over 3 weeks (we're used to 3 meals out/delivered weekly), we have only had 3 bottles of wine in 3 weeks (we're used to a bottle or a 6 pack every night), and we usually have chips and ice cream around, as well as lots of sandwich goodies. So, for now, it hasn't been a problem.

But we'll see. I can't keep ignoring food forever; I realize I am going to have to learn to restrain myself from foods that are meant for MODERATED and LIGHT snacks or indulgences, and I have to say, it scares me. I am far from my goal but maintenance is what always gets me.

I'm sure I am definitely not the only one here with that problem. :D

girl81
04-08-2007, 07:26 AM
anything with flour or sugar.

BlueToBlue
04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Living with my SO, who can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight (in fact, it would be good if he could put on a few lbs), I've really had to learn to be able to have certain foods in the house and not eat them. For the most part, he can have anything he wants--frozen taquitos, chips, cookies, pastries, cake, indian food--it's his food and I stay away from it. Not only is he allowed this stuff, but I do all the food shopping, so I actually buy it for him. Sometimes I buy him food that I think I would like--it's like I'm eating vicariously through him. I can often allow myself one bite of his food and I'm fine with that. I always buy him some sort of horribly decadent breakfast pastry from the farmers' market and I always have a little corner of it.

There are a few things I bought for myself however that I thought I would be able to eat in reasonable portions that turned out to be a disaster. :fr: They were:
- nuts of almost any kind
- chocolate
- trail mix

I will not be buying any of those things again for a long time! :nono: I haven't tried ice cream in anything other than individual serving sizes since I started my diet, so I don't know how I'd do with it. We do have some homemade cantaloupe (from homegrown melons, even--yum!) sorbet in the freezer and it's been there for a really long time (months), so maybe I would do okay with ice cream.

It does worry me that I can't control myself around certain foods (lately nuts). I feel like I should be able stop and it really bothers me that I sometimes can't. I also feel like this problem is getting worse as I diet longer, which is especially concerning to me. Instead of getting more in control, I feel like I am losing control. Or maybe I've always had this problem and it is just more noticeable now that I am trying to eat moderately. But it is good to hear that I am not the only one with this problem.

just_a_dreamy1
04-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I know that I make the final decision to start eating for reasons other then hunger, or to keep eating once I'm full. There are some foods that I'm more susceptible to, mostly finger foods because I love being able to just keep picking up small peices and feeding them into my mouth. Here's the list:o

dry fruit
nuts or trail mix
air popped or theatre popcorn
peanut butter
marble cheddar - I do alot better with sharp or old cheese
milk chocolate - sometimes dark, as well, but for the most part, I can control that
I don't bake, because I end up sampling/eating way too much of it, either raw or cooked.

PinkyPie
04-16-2007, 12:51 AM
My trigger foods are pretty much ANY junk. I don't keep chips, cookies, candy, ice cream, etc., in my home AT ALL, not even the reduced-calorie, reduced-fat, reduced-whatever kinds :p

Same here. I don't buy the junk, it's not in the house, I'm not tempted to eat it :)

My DF was very sweet and bought baked potato chips for me on Saturday... guess what? the whole bag was gone Sat. evening!

If I eat healthy I don't have cravings, but if not so healthy stuff is around me, somehow the devil on my shoulder says "go on... you know you want it...! :devil: "

doozer
04-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Although I'm a big sugar junky and can eat terrible amounts of chocolate in one sitting I can actually resist it if it's in the house. The big temptation is bread- of any kind. Sourdough, crusty french bread, bagels, they are not allowed through the door because I have no control over myself. Plus pizza of any kind especially cold pizza sitting in the kitchen the next morning! Yum..

Also pasta is a biiiggggg trigger food. Basically anything with lots of bad carbohydrates that I can smother in cheese gets me everytime. :o

poppins3
04-16-2007, 08:24 AM
For me, anything in a large quantity is a "red light" food.

I can buy 1-3 cookies at a specialty store, and I won't touch them until I really want them. Same with single-serving sizes of candy. If I know that there's a limited amount of a food, I'm so careful to enjoy it.

I think this started when I was very, very young, as I would always ask, "Is there more?" before starting dinner. It's a wonder I was never drastically overweight -- got to thank the parents and their fantastic metabolisms!!

But I will no longer buy large packages of cookies or bags of individual candy (i.e. M&Ms). DH and I have debated long and hard about this -- as he likes to keep these things in the house -- but I've convinced him for now.

We keep ice cream in the house because DH might die without it, but we always buy it in the pint sizes, and usually I only get a bite or two. (Last night, he gave me a bowl, though, yay!) Right now, I'm experimenting with smaller portion sizes -- like the little Dove miniature ice cream bars. Only 70 calories each, and I'm not likely to have more than one. (I don't "snack" with ice cream in the same way I snack with other things.)

I've also stopped keeping crackers in the house. I won't eat them immediately (as I would cookies or candy), but once I start eating them, I will finish the entire box.

KateRN
04-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Chips & Dip
Candy Bars
Spaghetti O's
Frozen Pizza

zenor77
04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Icecream is my "red light" food and the sad thing is that I'm lactose intolerant and that never stopped me.

I agree with the others that said they don't keep any junk food in the house. Most of the food in my house has to be cooked or can be eaten raw (fruits and veggies.)

We actually had guests this weekend that brought Doritos with them and just the thought of them grossed me out (I've come a long way.) They left them, so I threw them out.

azmom
04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I don't do well with crackers, tortilla chips and most definitely, graham crackers.

inoxia
04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I have no problems whatsoever with sweets. In fact, I hate sweets, even chocolate. I'm addicted to those bags of frozen pasta, though. Pasta Voila!, those Contessa dinners, Lean Cuisine skillet meals, you name it. I'll eat the entire bag -- once I pick out all the carrots.

LLV
04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I have no problems whatsoever with sweets. In fact, I hate sweets, even chocolate. I'm addicted to those bags of frozen pasta, though. Pasta Voila!, those Contessa dinners, Lean Cuisine skillet meals, you name it. I'll eat the entire bag -- once I pick out all the carrots.

I take it you don't like carrots, LOL.

I agree with the comments on bread. I went to a friend's house a couple of weeks ago and she was baking HOMEMADE bread. One loaf had just come out of the oven. Sitting on the counter next to the steaming hot loaf was fresh butter. I wanted to die. The smell alone was driving me crazy.

She says, "Would you like a piece?"

Yep! I ate two slices and it was wonderful.

Minus the butter, of course ;)

I need to start carrying my butter spray with me everywhere I go :lol:

Lafayette
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I counter my sourdough cravings with the little rolls from Panera. They usually serve them with soup but you can buy two at the bakery counter for about $1.

I can eat several avocados in a sitting. It never quite becomes guacamole in my house...