Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 10:41 PM   #1  

Default Redfish Braised in Cider Sauce

(This was great! I changed it a bit from the book "Jane Brody's Good Seafood Book" to be more like the French method of braising.)

Redfish Braised in Cider Sauce

1 tsp olive oil
4 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon peeled, minced gingerroot
1 1/2 cups apple cider
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon zest, cut into 1" julienne strips
2 tsp unsalted butter (optional; I didn't use and it turned out fine.)
1 1/4 pounds redfish fillets, skin on (book says you can also use flounder, sole, weakfish, sea trout, or red snapper)
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet, and add the shallots and gingerroot. (I also added a few sliced mushrooms here.) Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Pour the cider and vinegar into the pan, and add the lemon zest.Bring the liquid to a boil.
3. Salt and pepper the fish. Place the fish, skin side down, on the liquid. Cook 2-3 minutes and turn the fish, cook another 2-3 minutes (more if fish is thicker).
Remove fish with a slotted spatula to a warm plate and keep warm.
4. Turn up the head and reduce the sauce by continuing to boil until you have about 1/2 cup.
5. If you are using the butter, remove the pan from the heat, and swirl the butter into the sauce until the sauce is smooth.
6. Serve the fish, pouring equal amounts of the sauce over each portion and sprinkling each portion with the parsley.

No nutritional info given, but with 4 servings, I'd estimate this (without butter) at 5 points a serving. Enjoy!
Closed Thread