Weight Loss Support - Show on TLC: "I Eat 33,000 Calories a Day"

Cheryl14
01-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi All!

Last night on TLC there was a show called "I EAT 33,000 Calories a Day" that focused on two men and two women who ate HUGE AMOUNTS of food each day. After each segment they would have a table set with the prepared foods that each person would have eaten that day. It was incredible.

In each case the person said that they just couldn't stop from eating. Each person also had one or more people that would bring them their food AND/ OR a handy list of take out places that they would call to GET food from whenever they wanted it.

If any of you get the TLC station on your TV I highly would recommend that you watch this show. As you watch the individuals eat, you can just tell that they are TOTALLY INTO the eating experience. I thought to myself that although I have never eaten THAT MANY calories in a day, I no doubt HAVE had some significant binges that amounted to MANY, MANY calories! I also saw the old me as I watched them devour plates of fried foods. That used to be ME!

One of the guys spends $340 on food PER DAY! Another guy used money from his second mortgage of his home TO BUY FOOD!

It made me so sad to think that their entire lives were passing them by, and several of them even became prisoners in their own homes!

Watching the show made me wonder how close I could have gotten to being like this. It was scary!

Cheryl

IwannaLoseIt
01-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Wow,that sounds like a show I would want to watch! Is it a weekly show? and do they only broadcast it on Sundays? I will be on the lookout.Thanks for letting us know!:)

nelie
01-29-2007, 12:18 PM
If you ever read the story about the subway guy, he said he'd have breakfast, lunch and dinner out. A typical dinner for him was a large pizza from some pizza chain. I don't remember how many calories he said he ate per day but I imagine it was near 10k. Now that isn't even close to 33k but still it is a lot.

Cheryl14
01-29-2007, 12:34 PM
This was the first time I saw this particular show on TLC. I would guess that they would show it again, maybe next Sunday? You can check the TLC listings for your area on the Net.

Cheryl

JayEll
01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
You didn't say--are these people large in size? Do they have a disorder that causes them to be hungry all the time?

Jay

Cheryl14
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Jay!

The one guy is 700 pounds. The other one is 800. The ladies are smaller at 500 and 600 pounds, I think.

They didn't get into whether the people REALLY WERE unable to curb their eating because of some disease but hinted that this COULD be the cause.

The one guy was eating FOUR POUNDS OF FAT a day, and the other one 700 grams of fat a day. Mind boggling stuff!

Cheryl

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I also watched this last night. The part I didn't like was watching the close-ups of the food going in their mouths. But, like you said, it was the point. It was if they were in a trance while eating that much.

It also made me wonder how close I got to being like that too. I know that food was controlling my life. That no matter how much I ate, I never felt full. I saw myself in these people.

Jay, from what I saw of the program, the smallest lady was about 365 lbs. and was eating around 15000 cal's a day. Her table of food looked very minimal compared to some of the others. The other lady weighed in the 600's and the 2 men ranged from about 700-800lbs. What was so scary was it said if they continue to eat the way they eat now they will continue to gain wt. at a rate of 40 or 50 lbs. a MONTH. (can't remember exact figures, but this is close). For the lady that weighed about 365 it said at the rate she is going she'll gain 52 lbs. in 3 months, I believe. A couple of them were eating the number of calories per day that a "typical adult male" woule eat in a 2 week period. Plus one man was spending $36.00 a day on candy bars alone. (they had them laid out on the table and it looked like about 50 candy bars to me).

One thing for sure, I certainly didn't want anything to eat while I watched this show. I hope that TLC shows it again as I missed the first 20 min's of it.

I felt so sorry for the 19 yr. old boy that lives alone with his 600 lb. mom. His job was to keep the food stocked for her. He said "I want her to be happy and food is the only thing that keeps her happy". How sad for both of them. He was "normal" wt. , you could tell that it really was affecting him to watch his mom killing herself with food. I know he must feel horrible guilt, as he's helping her do it.

Cheryl, I think the disease was the addiction so to speak. From what I gathered, the huge amt. of high carb/ high fat/high calorie and sugary foods would plummet their blood sugar quickly after a meal was consumed and cause them to crave more food. I may be wrong but that is what I understood them to be saying.

Many of these people were very manipulative at getting the food they wanted and admitted they become mean when they are refused that food. If they didn't get what they wanted they would just call up a delivery service and get all the food they wanted.

Tealeaf
01-29-2007, 01:00 PM
I tivo'd it. Dunno if my husband will be willing to watch it with me, might have to wait for him to pass out. And I guess I shouldn't eat it during dinner.

sotypical
01-29-2007, 01:22 PM
I saw it on the guide and read the discription. I wanted to watch it but its not my boyfriend type of show. And DAMIT I forgot we have a PVR :( I hope they play it again.

Jasmine31
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
How terrible!!!

Beach Patrol
01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
E-gad.... I'm glad I DIDN'T SEE IT. Wouldnt' want to watch that. Makes me sick thinking about it.

Have any of you ever watched yourself eating?

I have. Put a mirror on the table & watched myself eat. It was gross. Changed THAT habit forever. I now eat more slowly, and chew "with thought" rather than just spooning it in.

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Tealeaf, definitely don't watch it during dinner. It would spoil your appetite and ruin your meal.

Cheryl, I remember now the part where the man took out a 2nd mortgage for $14000 and spent it on Food.

Beach Patrol, I have never used a mirror to watch myself eat. I should do that sometime. My DH is the worst. I hate it if he orders spaghetti at a restaurant because he looks like he needs a pitchfork instead of a fork. And he isn't overweight at all, just eats pasta like a pig. I never mentioned it to him, but it is embarassing. Maybe I should watch myself eat, before I criticize him.

simone1ca
01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
That sounds so sad. I'm surprised I missed it, I'm normally glued to shows like that, they help me understand my own habits and make me want to change them.

I just checked out the TLC website and it'll be replayed:

FEB 18 2007 @ 07:00 PM.
FEB 19 2007 @ 02:00 AM.

rockinrobin
01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I was flipping through the channels last night and I saw it. I left it on for about 3 or 4 mins. I simply could not watch it, I was totally and completely repulsed by it. The segment that I saw was a man too large to get out of the house. So his entire food supply was being brought to him. I'm sorry, I just don't get that, not even a little, teeny, tiny bit. Talk about being an enabler. Granted I only saw a few minutes of it, but could there possibly be any valid reason for someone to supply anyone with that quantity of food?

Tara D
01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Rockinrobin, I saw it, and the answer to your question about how they are getting the food is...

One guy had a bucket that he would lower out the window when delivery people arrived. He'd put the money in the bucket and they would put the food in it and then he would pull it back up. His family said that if they didn't cook for him, he would just order food all the time and his diet would be even worse.

I thought about whether they could take away the phone, but I guess with someone whose health is already pretty bad, that might be a safety issue.

Another guy did delivery service as well.

The 19-year-old son of one of the women just wanted her to be happy. I guess it's probably easier that way. I'm sure she could make his life a living **** if he refused.

Personally, I was wondering how they have all of this money to order all this food! They're obviously not working, and I don't think disability pays THAT much, does it?

simone1ca
01-29-2007, 02:32 PM
That's an interesting point, even if one guy did mortgage his house..how did he make those mortgage payments? I know some large, housebound people have at home jobs, but I can't imagine a job that supports a $300+ a day food addiction.

SwimGirl
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I watched a little bit of it last night as well, but just couldn't watch it... What I wonder is how these people can afford all that food?

-Aimee

LindaT
01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
It appears this show is going to be on again on February 18 and 19th. I set up a reminder to watch this

http://tlc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=2&cpi=55746&gid=0&channel=TLC

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Tara, I missed the first 20 min's so I didn't see the part about the bucket. Some of these people did admit they are very manipulative and could get "mean" if they didn't get the food they wanted. Or if the family or caretakers refused the food they'd get it by other means. I really don't know what I'd do if I had a family member who was in this situation with food. It's easy to say I wouldnt' cook for them like that or enable them to get the food but in reality I haven't "walked in their shoes".

I wondered the same thing about the money. They can't work. How can they afford to eat that much? We have a family of four and my food budget is $150.00 a week. Most of them spend more than that per DAY. I'm sure that because of their health they draw disability but it doesn't pay that much. (I know it's based on previous earnings, what did they do in the past?) . It made me wonder if government progams have to pay them more because of the huge amt. of food they "require" per day. These people didn't look like they had successful at home businesses to me. (I could be wrong here). Or do family members suffer financially for having to buy them all this food?

alinnell
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
E-gad.... I'm glad I DIDN'T SEE IT. Wouldnt' want to watch that. Makes me sick thinking about it.

Have any of you ever watched yourself eating?

I have. Put a mirror on the table & watched myself eat. It was gross. Changed THAT habit forever. I now eat more slowly, and chew "with thought" rather than just spooning it in.

My Mom had to do this, not because she overate, but because she had a tongue thrust and her dentist wanted her to fix her problem before she got braces....she had to go to a speech therapist and learn how to swallow properly (at age 50) before they would allow her to get braces. She sure didn't like watching herself eat!

I'm going to have to look for this show. I love TLC and Discovery (esp. Discovery Health).

Berlin
01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
My husband and I watched this show last night on TLC. Like many of you, my husband had to look away when the close-up eating shots where on - totally made me put down my ice cream sandwich, that's for sure!

We also discussed how in the world these people afforded to eat this way. The show never touched upon the issue of where everyone got their money to spend on such a diet, much less living expenses.

I felt so sad for these men and women. Their lives are just slipping away and they all feel like there is no way out.

It got me thinking - just like a drug addiction, people can check themselves into a rehab, a safe place, and get help. Is there such a place for people with food addictions?

melekalikimaka
01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
This sounds like a show I need to see, repulsiveness and all. I have had problems with binge eating and I go through cycles where I am totally in control and eating a healthy diet, but other times when I am really stressed or life seems out of my control I just comfort eat, like I'm outside myself. It is sad seeing these morbidly obese people on TV and the way it affects their families. Did anyone remember seeing that bit on Dr. Phil where that 600+(?) lb woman said she suffered a spider bite that caused her to gain 400 lbs? In reality, she stayed in her bedroom on her bed and made her family eat meals with her there. She would call her normal weight teenage/young adult son while he was out grocery shopping and tell him what she wanted i.e. potato chips, sodas, candies, or any other food product etc. and she would know exactly which isle the product was in even though she hadn't been outside the house for years! It was amazing and seriously depressing at the same time.

ennay
01-29-2007, 04:38 PM
I guess I am wondering...what was the point of the show? Were they getting the people help or was it pure voyeurism into their lives?

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
As for a safe place for them, I did see another show on TLC before about morbidly obese people and a center where they could go. I can't remember what state ( Ohio maybe) where they could be placed in this center, have a strict food plan, exercise plan based on whatever their capabilities were. Even in this center, many family members would sneak them tons of junk food for them to eat. In this particular show, some of them died without ever being able to leave the center. It was sad.

holicanmc
01-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Perhaps you're thinking of Andover? I believe it's a "retirement community" in Ohio somewhere. I saw a show that featured patients/clients of Andover but iirc they were encouraged to eat healthy but could request anything to eat and the staff would bring it to them.

Kamily828
01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I saw this show last night. It was very sad.

Im on disability and believe me, it doesnt pay enough to buy that amount of food!

Nikaia
01-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Omg. I am so freaken skeeved-out just reading about this...thinking about this...I could never bring myself to watch it. I'd cry, or throw up, or scream, or have nightmares, or probably some combination of all of the above. How the heck can you just watch your family member, someone you love, killing themselves like this? You do what you have to do; that's how I'd look at it.

It's like getting a suicidal person help. You 5150 them - at least that's what it is in California, it's where you bring the person to the attention of a mental health facility for behavior threatening themself or others, and they are involuntarily committed for 72 hours, at which point the psychs there check them and decide whether or not they stay longer. The person in question doesn't get a choice; and I would think that totally appropriate for this situation. It is an ILLNESS. It's not just some lack of willpower or whatever. That, when it gets to that point, is an honest-to-Goddess disorder, and it requires that people approach it and treat it as such. Forcibly, if need be. Just like a suicidal person, like I said - they may hate you for it, but they will be better-off because of it in the end.

Just my $.03 or so.

JayEll
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Just did some web searching and found that the clinical name for excessive hunger is polyphagia or hyperphagia and it is listed as a type of eating disorder.

Jay

Nikaia
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
You know, Jay, I seem to remember there being a CSI ep that dealt with that. Something about the nerves that normally signal the hunger centers in the brain malfunctioning so that NOTHING can sate the person's hunger.

JayEll
01-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Nikaia, I remember that episode. But I couldn't find any description that sounded like what they had on CSI. Not sure whether that was real or not.

Jay

Tealeaf
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I guess I am wondering...what was the point of the show? Were they getting the people help or was it pure voyeurism into their lives?

Probably the later. Not that I see that as a bad thing. If the people didn't want to tell their stories, they wouldn't have signed the waiver. Sometimes people who have problems want a chance to tell the world about it.

Nikaia
01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
*shrug* I don't know, either. But it does sound kind of similar, doesn't it?

I don't know how else you could conceivably explain a person getting THAT lost in food.

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
ennay, from what I surmised, they were trying to help. One of them was put on a 3500 calorie diet. He instructed the caregiver not to give him any more food no matter how angry, demanding or manipulating he became. Of course, he also said if he really wants something bad enough he'll pick up the phone and call for delivery.

I can watch these type of shows now that I am formerly obese and have started to take care of my health. While I was obese and eating whatever I wanted, I would have changed the channel. I'd have thought they were talking directly to me and I wasn't ready yet to face that I could have ended up in the same shape as these 4 people. No, I didn't eat 33,000 cal's a day, but I'm sure there were days I had 6-7000 cals. I could certainly identify with the lady that weighed 365 and she actually was crying about how much she eats and how food is killing her. I saw a lot of myself in her. She felt like it was hopeless and that she couldn't control herself and I have felt that way many times myself. For so many of us food becomes comfort.

Annie, I agree they may have just wanted to tell their story. Let others know and be warned of the issues they were facing.

rockinrobin
01-30-2007, 08:42 AM
. No, I didn't eat 33,000 cal's a day, but I'm sure there were days I had 6-7000 cals. I could certainly identify with the lady that weighed 365 and she actually was crying about how much she eats and how food is killing her. I saw a lot of myself in her. She felt like it was hopeless and that she couldn't control herself and I have felt that way many times myself. For so many of us food becomes comfort.

Lily, I could have written that myself. It just amazes me though how once you turn the switch, it seems just the opposite - that there really is so much hope in fact. Why, oh why does it take sooo long and so much damage to get to that realization?

KateRN
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
i also watched this show... one man had in home aides/care givers and upon hiring them, he had a contract drawn up they had to sign stating that no matter what that they would have to refuse his demands for more food to try to keep him on plan.

i give him props for realizing his problem.

muzikjunky
01-30-2007, 01:24 PM
WOAH! That's A LOT of calories. If I see it on TLC one night when I have the time to watch TV I will see if it's on. I would like to see that..

MariaOfColumbia
01-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I read somewhere recently that when people are obese, that their triglycerides can be elevated and interfere with the way the hormone leptin crosses the blood/brain barrier and turns off the hunger signal. So, the hunger impulse just keeps going until enough of the leptin crosses to shut off the hunger. It's a viscious cycle sort of thing- over eating causes high triglycerides which cause hunger not to be shut off which causes more overeating. Sad.

Clickme
01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I saw it and it was scary. Scary because I can see how you can go from being a little "chubby" to being morbidly obese.

30 lbs snuck up on me. I used to (as recently as a month ago) come home from work and binge eat. Sometimes I would stop off at the store and pick up one of my favorite snacks and eat the whole thing - whole bag of doritos, whole box of Pop tarts, or a whole package of cookies. It doesn't seem like much compared to them....but I can definitely see where left unchecked it can get worse. As you get bigger the binging gets bigger and so forth. I remember how good it felt while I was eating those pop tarts one after the other. And all I can say when I saw those people is "but for the grace of God" it would be me. :(

RocknRoll
01-30-2007, 04:28 PM
does anyone know when it airs again?

slimmernow
01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi All!

Last night on TLC there was a show called "I EAT 33,000 Calories a Day" that focused on two men and two women who ate HUGE AMOUNTS of food each day. After each segment they would have a table set with the prepared foods that each person would have eaten that day. It was incredible.

In each case the person said that they just couldn't stop from eating. Each person also had one or more people that would bring them their food AND/ OR a handy list of take out places that they would call to GET food from whenever they wanted it.

If any of you get the TLC station on your TV I highly would recommend that you watch this show. As you watch the individuals eat, you can just tell that they are TOTALLY INTO the eating experience. I thought to myself that although I have never eaten THAT MANY calories in a day, I no doubt HAVE had some significant binges that amounted to MANY, MANY calories! I also saw the old me as I watched them devour plates of fried foods. That used to be ME!

One of the guys spends $340 on food PER DAY! Another guy used money from his second mortgage of his home TO BUY FOOD!

It made me so sad to think that their entire lives were passing them by, and several of them even became prisoners in their own homes!

Watching the show made me wonder how close I could have gotten to being like this. It was scary!

Cheryl

Those programmes are so scary - have you seen some of those seriously obese people who resort to weight loss surgery - lose weight and can never eat normally again! That really is losing your life to obesity - eating is such a great pleasure - doesn't it make you think how important it is to get control - so you can still enjoy food and enjoy life - you have to find a way! It's so simple and yet so difficult!

Kamily828
01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
does anyone know when it airs again?

FEB 18 2007 @ 07:00 PM.
FEB 19 2007 @ 02:00 AM.

lilybelle
01-31-2007, 04:40 AM
I know some people (including my DH) say they absolutely, positively couldn't watch a show like this. For me , it's like therapy. I see myself in these people. I see how it could happen, how food can control one's life to a point that nothing else matters. I can remember all the times that I sent my son to get me enough junk food for at least 2 people. I can remember thinking if we were out of Mt. Dew that I'd die of thirst. I can remember having 4 little debbie snacks and a quart of milk for breakfast. I can remember telling DH that the "kids ate it" when I'd ate the new tub of ice cream while no one was around. I remember sticking my McDonald's sack under the car seat while I went thru KFC. I can remember ordering a large adult meal at the drive through and a kids meal so they wouldn't think it was all for me. I can remember dishing out the dinner plates for DH and the kids, so there would be plenty left for me. I can remember eating a full meal at home and going to my mom's, my sisters or a friends house and them be having dinner. When they'd ask if I had eaten, I'd say "no" and eat again. I can remember picking up family buckets of chicken at KFC and taking it to work with me and eating all of it during my night shift. I can remember buying 4 candy bars at the hospital gift shop and telling the clerk "they're for my kids" and eating every one of them on my way home from work.

So, no matter how gross and disgusting this might be to watch, I realize I WAS these people. I thank God every day, that I got a handle on it when I did. Seeing this type of show reinforces to me how lucky I am. These people aren't doing anything I didn't do, I just hadn't reached as high of calorie level as them yet. The steak, chicken fried steak, potatoes and gravy, cheeseburger and greasy fries, heaping bowls of mac n cheese, pies, cakes, candy, chips, fried eggs, bacon, sausage, cookies, fried chicken, mexican food, chinese food, piles of pasta and all the foods they had loaded on their tables, Yes, I used to eat them too and in larger quantities than anyone should eat them. I knew nothing of moderation, fresh fruits and veggies were very rare for me just like the tables of what these people eat.

Cheryl14
01-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi Lillybelle!

As I was reading your post I was saying many of the same things to myself about ME! I have always been able to "pound " food with the best of 'em! I live in a family of athletic males who are thin with fast metabolisms. In my heyday I was probably going one-for-one with them on all the food. We aren't big junk food people, BUT the amounts of steak, potatoes, almonds, cereal, eggs, peanut butter and other "good" and nutritious foods that I ate for NOT being a skinny, athletic person...well, saying the amounts were in excess is a BIG understatement!

When my husband would take a second piece of homemade apple pie, I would go right along and get MY second piece, too! I was eating three to four TIMES what an actual serving of pasta was supposed to be as well. I was eating like a marathon runner but not running the marathon!

My one "junk food" was the Baja Steak Chalupa at Taco Bell. I would order TWO of them and eat them in the car at lunchtime. I checked Calorie King yesterday at discovered that my beloved Chalupas of Choice were each 370 calories for a total of 740 calories!:(

I also enjoyed making homemade cookies. I would make a TRIPLE BATCH and end up with only a DOUBLE BATCH of actual cookies because I would eat a BATCH WORTH of the cookie dough as I baked the cookies! And I wondered how I got that extra 100 pounds on my body???!!!!!:o

I've eaten a whole bag of potato chips at one sitting, and a whole bag of peanut M&Ms all by myself over a couple days. I had a stash of Dove Treasures in my diningroom china cabinet drawer and would eat seven or eight of the "treasures" at a time.

It got me thinking...What stopped US from becoming like the people on the show? How is it that at 200 something or 300 something we STOPPED and said, "Enough!" and DID something about our weight? I will be thinking about that all day!

Love your posts, Lillybelle, and I am VERY inspired by your weight loss! I still refer to my method of buying jeans or a top or a dress a size smaller as 'The Lillybelle Method!" Thanks for the tip! It has helped a lot. Oh, by the way, those "tight" jeans now need a belt because they are getting L-O-O-S-E!

Cheryl

rockinrobin
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
If I had not gained control, or should I say attempted to gain control, because when you first start you don't HAVE the control yet, who knows where I could have landed up. 325 lbs, 350, 400? The morgue? Thank G-d, Thank G-d, Thank G-d I did something about my weight, no make that my control, before I gained even more.

Scary stuff.

srmb60
01-31-2007, 09:45 AM
I watch anything I can that is like this show. I'll be looking for it in February.

I think that for most of us, something just 'clicks' and then that doesn't become us. Sadly for some others, nothing ever clicks. I hope, hope, hope that by throwing more shows out there like that, it'll click for more.

You think education might help?

Elspeth73
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Wow! That really is sooo sad! :( I'll have to be on the look out for it in a few weeks when it airs again.

On a different note - has anyone ever seen that "Supersize Me" movie??

LLV
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I read somewhere recently that when people are obese, that their triglycerides can be elevated

You're not kidding!

When I was 220, my triglycerides were over 800.

They're now 120.

Normal is 150 or less.

Halfway through my weight loss, I went back and had them checked again. They dropped from 800 to 400. Still too high, but getting there. Once I hit about 145, I had them checked again and they're normal now.

It is true that many obese people have high triglyceride levels. Triglycerides are blood fats. High levels of blood fat raises the risk of heart attack and stroke and messes with insulin levels as well. Which, of course, can throw your eating/appetite out of whack.

These people, such as I used to be, are walking timebombs.

Edit: I'd like to add that I've also been taking fish oil every day for the last 2 years. I read that fish oil may help reduce blood fats (triglycerides). I don't know if the fish oil has contributed to the reduction in trigs for me, but whatever I'm doing is working (my doctor said it's possibly a combination of the fish oil and watching what I eat, i.e. staying away from saturated fats) so I still take the fish oil every day because I believe it's keeping my trigs low.

LLV
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
If I had not gained control, or should I say attempted to gain control, because when you first start you don't HAVE the control yet, who knows where I could have landed up. 325 lbs, 350, 400? The morgue?

I'm pretty sure I would have ended up there eventually. And it wasn't going to take long. I felt it. I even sat down on my computer one day and wrote out a whole page of things that my hub needs to know should I pass away. Like where important documents are and how to do "this" and "that" for our son, etc. I also took out a life insurance policy so they'd have enough money to bury me.

My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, I had chest pains daily, the worst ones coming at night - painful enough to wake me out of a sound sleep. So yeah, I wasn't really planning on being around too much longer. If I hadn't done anything about my weight and my diet, I might have already been gone by now. I was 'this close' to having a heart attack. Again, I felt it, it was coming.

I often wonder, like you, how much I'd weigh now if I had kept going the way I was going, provided I'd still be walking the earth, that is. I know I'd be over 250 by now, no doubt.

And ya know? That's a dang scary thought.

lilybelle
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Cheryl , thanks. I know that for one I benefit from watching these shows. I am like SusanB, I watch any of these shows that I find. It's not that I'd ever , ever, ever make fun of these people or situation. I once knew I'd easily see over 300 lbs. if things didn't change for me. Before making my lifestyle changes, I had gained 50 lbs. the last 3 yrs. If that continued every 3 yrs. , I'd have been in the 300's in my 50's if the food and the damage it was doing to my body hadn't killed me first. I still credit my Dr. for giving me the kick in the butt that I needed to get this wt. off.
Cheryl, I easily used to eat twice as much food as my 6 foot husband. He has never had a weight problem. He is an intuitive eater, and I have never been able to do that. If he's hungry, he eats. If he's not, he refuses food even if it is a favorite food of his. He stops when he's full. I'm the type that if my favorite food was available, I'd eat it whether I was hungry or not. Many times I've eaten to the point of being sick and miserable. I'd blame it on the food such as "that tomato sauce on the pizza made me sick". Instead of the fact that I ate over 1/2 of a large pizza in 1 sitting and that was just simply too much food.

LLV, my triglycerides were in the 600's and I also don't know how I survived never having a heart attack or stroke. I was taking 8 blood pressure pills a day and still working and functioning with a BP of 250/150 on a non-stressful day, no telling what it got up to during times of stress.

MariaOfColumbia
01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
My husband had triglycerides of 800+ a couple of years ago. We changed our diet to include oatbran pancakes every morning + fish oil pills with vitamins. That dropped him to the 600 range. He's lost 20 lbs, and now he's in the 400 range. He's only got 20 more lbs to go to hit his goal weight, and I'm really hoping that when he gets there he'll be in normal range. The high triglycerides interfere with oxygen transport, so he gets really out of breath easily, even though he's in excellent shape, musclewise. He can circumvent that when he exercises by taking a dimethyl glycine sublingual tablet, which increases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood- so he can work around the worst symptom. I'll be really glad when his triglycerides drop to normal, though. It's scary having him walking around with triple the chance of stroke from the triglyceride levels.

It was nice to be able to tell him what I'd found out about the leptin being blocked by the triglycerides. It explains why he has such a big appetite. Knowing *why* something happens is half the battle sometimes.

jtammy
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
I know some people (including my DH) say they absolutely, positively couldn't watch a show like this. For me , it's like therapy. I see myself in these people. I see how it could happen, how food can control one's life to a point that nothing else matters. I can remember all the times that I sent my son to get me enough junk food for at least 2 people. I can remember thinking if we were out of Mt. Dew that I'd die of thirst. I can remember having 4 little debbie snacks and a quart of milk for breakfast. I can remember telling DH that the "kids ate it" when I'd ate the new tub of ice cream while no one was around. I remember sticking my McDonald's sack under the car seat while I went thru KFC. I can remember ordering a large adult meal at the drive through and a kids meal so they wouldn't think it was all for me. I can remember dishing out the dinner plates for DH and the kids, so there would be plenty left for me. I can remember eating a full meal at home and going to my mom's, my sisters or a friends house and them be having dinner. When they'd ask if I had eaten, I'd say "no" and eat again. I can remember picking up family buckets of chicken at KFC and taking it to work with me and eating all of it during my night shift. I can remember buying 4 candy bars at the hospital gift shop and telling the clerk "they're for my kids" and eating every one of them on my way home from work.

So, no matter how gross and disgusting this might be to watch, I realize I WAS these people. I thank God every day, that I got a handle on it when I did. Seeing this type of show reinforces to me how lucky I am. These people aren't doing anything I didn't do, I just hadn't reached as high of calorie level as them yet. The steak, chicken fried steak, potatoes and gravy, cheeseburger and greasy fries, heaping bowls of mac n cheese, pies, cakes, candy, chips, fried eggs, bacon, sausage, cookies, fried chicken, mexican food, chinese food, piles of pasta and all the foods they had loaded on their tables, Yes, I used to eat them too and in larger quantities than anyone should eat them. I knew nothing of moderation, fresh fruits and veggies were very rare for me just like the tables of what these people eat.

Amen!! Lily, You said it perfectly. When I see these shows I know that I could have been / could still be one of those people. If I lose control, I could still be the 700 lb lady on the Discovery Health show. That thought keeps me in line. These people who are on the show are very brave for coming forward, and I know it makes a difference because it makes a difference in my life.

I used to fear that when I died (an early death due to obesity) they wouldn't be able to find a casket big enough to carry me. The feeling of shame would overcome me and I would go and assuage my guilt by eating some more. I know how they got to the point they got to and only by the Grace of God am I not there right beside them.

rockinrobin
01-31-2007, 03:56 PM
I used to fear that when I died (an early death due to obesity) they wouldn't be able to find a casket big enough to carry me. The feeling of shame would overcome me and I would go and assuage my guilt by eating some more. I know how they got to the point they got to and only by the Grace of God am I not there right beside them.

That post gets a big fat DITTO. My thoughts to a T. I had the same exact fear. In fact I had a lot of fears.

RachelGoren
01-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I have to agree, I watch these shows sometimes as a "Scared Straight" experience, like touring the county jail whenever you're tempted to drink and drive!

I personally think that with a lot of these people, the real world is so hard for them to deal with that they just lose themselves in food. "If I can just think about food and nothing else, I don't need to think about my loneliness or boredom or failing marriage ..." I wrote an article awhile ago about having too much room in our lives for food and it reminded me of that.

But what's really scary is that these are just normal, everyday people like every one one of us. They weren't born 800 pounds and didn't get that way overnight ... it just came on them gradually, one pound at a time. Yes, definitely something for everyone else to think about!

lilybelle
02-01-2007, 07:55 AM
I know that although I have other health issues, that obesity was causing a lot of totally preventable health problems for me. The high blood pressure, tachycardia, shortness of breath, edema :these problems were totally correctable by weight loss. It's amazing how many of us had already realized that we were killing ourselves slowly with food. Like others had mentioned here, I'd already spoken to my DH and my adult family members about my impending death. I had lists written of my wishes. I wasn't trying to be morbid, just that at the rate I was going , people needed to know what I wanted. Ex. I wanted my DD that is 14 to be able to stay in current home with DH and finish high school where she's at. I didn't want any of my family members to try to make her come live with them. (my DH is her step-dad and we married when she was 5 yrs. old and she has never met her biological father). I used to cry knowing I'd never see her graduate school, get married, have babies or be a part of her life for very long. My health is so improved now that I truly believe (forbidding an accident) that I'll still have many years now with my children. I can't say that I ever thought of not fitting in a casket, but I definitely thought of falling at home and no one being able to lift me. I worried that my DH or kids would have to call the fire department to help me off the floor. That was mortifying to think that my big, strong husband or muscley son wouldn't be able to pick me up.

LLV
02-01-2007, 08:07 AM
LLV, my triglycerides were in the 600's and I also don't know how I survived never having a heart attack or stroke. I was taking 8 blood pressure pills a day and still working and functioning with a BP of 250/150 on a non-stressful day, no telling what it got up to during times of stress.

How's your blood pressure now, if you don't mind me asking? And do you still have to take medication?

My doctor put me on BP meds as well, but once I lost a bunch of weight and my BP was normal during my doctor visits (after about a year) I told him I was going to do an 'experiment' and take myself down off of the pills. I did it gradually, rather than stopping them altogether. I started taking fewer pills, then went from every day to every other day, etc., until I was off of them. And now my BP is normal on its own, I don't need the pills anymore. It usually reads about 117/70 - 120/80. I also borrowed a home BP monitor from someone and kept an eye on it myself. I told my doctor if it started creeping back up that I'd go back on the pills, but it stayed normal and is still normal to this day.

So I was wondering if your BP came down on its own once you lost your weight :)

lilybelle
02-01-2007, 08:28 AM
LLV, I only take 1/2 of a blood pressure pill now each morning and at bedtime. My BP is now 110/56. I could probably come off the med totally, but doctor doesn't want to do it because all my family has hypertension, even the ones without wt. problems. I also managed to get off the diuretics and 40Mg. daily of potassium that I was taking and the 2 inhalers that I used for shortness of breath. I now take a total of 9 pills a day, instead of the 23 that I did take. Yippee. This wt. loss really saved me a lot of money with my medications.

LLV
02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
LLV, I only take 1/2 of a blood pressure pill now each morning and at bedtime. My BP is now 110/56. I could probably come off the med totally, but doctor doesn't want to do it because all my family has hypertension, even the ones without wt. problems. I also managed to get off the diuretics and 40Mg. daily of potassium that I was taking and the 2 inhalers that I used for shortness of breath. I now take a total of 9 pills a day, instead of the 23 that I did take. Yippee. This wt. loss really saved me a lot of money with my medications.

It saved more than that, hon :hug:

That's great that your pressure is normal now. Really the only health problem I have is I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). But I've had that for years, even before I gained all of my weight. However, it's not so bad that it can't be controlled with food, but since diabetes runs in my family (my mother died of complications from it) my doctor said keeping an eye on my blood sugar is probably a good idea. This hypoglycemia can take a turn on me.

I really need to invest in a blood sugar monitor, but they're just so darned expensive.

lilybelle
02-01-2007, 09:03 AM
LLV, I have hyperinsulinism that I take glucophage twice a day for. I take my blood sugar 3 times a day and it has been doing great with the wt. loss. Before that, when my insulin would surge, I'd bottom out and passed out on several occasions. My insurance pays for all my diabetes testing equipment and med's so not sure how much it would cost if I paid for it out of pocket. Pretty expensive I'm sure. My only expensive med. now is Urso that I take 5 a day of for my liver. They are $300.00 a month at the local pharmacy. So, I order mine through Medco (mail) and they cost $50.00 for a 3 month supply. IMHO, mail ordering them is a pain and you really have to pay attention and not run out, order at least a week in advance, but much cheaper than buying at the pharmacy. My clonidine, glucophage and prednisone don't cost much, so I get them at the pharmacy.

I did the same as you, I weaned myself down on my BP pills as I lost weight. I only see my liver specialist every 4 months and I'd have bottomed my BP out if I'd waited on his visits to lower the med's. My local Dr. is an idiot and I didn't trust him to mess with my med's. My specialist is aware though of how I slowly lowered them and how it has worked out. We are now lowering my prednisone and I hope some day to be off it. I've been on it 4 yrs.

The only thing I have to be super careful with is that I don't skip meals or snacks. I pack food and take it with me, if I'm away from home. Otherwise my blood sugar will bottom out and I'll get very shaky. I'm now totally doing calorie counting instead of Atkins and am watching my sugars more closely for changes.

MariaOfColumbia
02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I read a book about magnesium, and apparently lots of blood pressure and other heart issues and diabetic problems can be solved if one gets enough magnesium. It takes a lot, though.

LLV
02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
LLV, I have hyperinsulinism that I take glucophage twice a day for. I take my blood sugar 3 times a day and it has been doing great with the wt. loss. Before that, when my insulin would surge, I'd bottom out and passed out on several occasions.

I've never actually passed out, but I've come close. Usually I can tell when my blood sugar is dropping because I get lightheaded and get the shakes. So I head straight to the fridge and grab one of my son's juice boxes, that usually brings it up quick and I'm feeling better within about 10-20 minutes. But sometimes I get the shakes so bad it's hard to even function.

The reason I feel I'll probably have sugar problems all of my life and might possibly turn diabetic when I'm older is because I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. Once I had my son (now 7) my sugar returned to normal but they told me that a woman who has gestational diabetes during pregnancy is more likely to develop diabetes later in life. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. I saw what my mom went through with hers.

They are $300.00 a month at the local pharmacy. So, I order mine through Medco (mail) and they cost $50.00 for a 3 month supply. IMHO, mail ordering them is a pain and you really have to pay attention and not run out, order at least a week in advance, but much cheaper than buying at the pharmacy. My clonidine, glucophage and prednisone don't cost much, so I get them at the pharmacy.

Glad you've found a cheaper way to get your meds. I have a serious problem with the medical profession being the biggest ripoff there is. I just can NOT believe how much medications cost. Someone I know is on medications and hers totals over $1000 month. There's just no sense in that. I also believe that many people are "over-medicated" and taking more drugs than they need to. Not everyone, but many. Doctors find something wrong with you and slap a prescription in your hand. My doctor, for example, when he discovered my cholesterol was high, immediately wrote out a prescription for statins. I refused to take them. I said, "Shouldn't the first option be a personal attempt at lowering this myself with diet and exercise?"

He basically said it was up to me. So I said, "Let me see if I can do this myself first."

And I did. Just as I weaned myself down off the BP meds. I don't need them anymore.

I did the same as you, I weaned myself down on my BP pills as I lost weight. I only see my liver specialist every 4 months and I'd have bottomed my BP out if I'd waited on his visits to lower the med's. My local Dr. is an idiot and I didn't trust him to mess with my med's. My specialist is aware though of how I slowly lowered them and how it has worked out. We are now lowering my prednisone and I hope some day to be off it. I've been on it 4 yrs.

I don't want to get personal and ask why you're on prednisone, but my hub was on that for a while. He had ulcerative colitis (before his surgery to remove his entire large intestine) and is also dealing with a touch of crohn's. My dog was even on it for a while to reduce build-up of fluids. And yes, they both had to come down off of it gradually.

The only thing I have to be super careful with is that I don't skip meals or snacks. I pack food and take it with me, if I'm away from home. Otherwise my blood sugar will bottom out and I'll get very shaky. I'm now totally doing calorie counting instead of Atkins and am watching my sugars more closely for changes.

That's good, you keep an eye on that sugar. That's what I should be doing. My mother had a blood sugar monitor (since, again, she was diabetic) and I've used it a few times and when I was shaky and lightheaded and my heart was racing (you obviously know the drill), I took my sugar and it was only 50 something a couple of times. I don't know if it's gone lower than that or not, but I imagine yours may go even lower if you've actually passed out.

LLV
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I read a book about magnesium, and apparently lots of blood pressure and other heart issues and diabetic problems can be solved if one gets enough magnesium. It takes a lot, though.

I've read about the benefits of magnesium as well. It confuses me, lol.

lilybelle
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
LLV, I have passed out on 4 different occasions. Fortunately each of these times was when I was at work at the hospital. My glucose level "read unable to detect every time". So, it was below 20. My problem was I worked night shift and sometimes wouldn't wake up in time to eat before I started my 12 hr. shift. Then if we were busy and I couldn't eat, I get in real trouble with my blood sugar.

It's not too personal. I am on prednisone due to my liver condition. My illness causes a severe blistery, itchy rash that is controlled with the prednisone. It looks very much like chicken pox and was misdiagnosed as this to start with.

I get so aggravated at Dr.'s for thinking, oh , let's just give her another prescription. I have had my general Dr. prescribe me Lipitor for my cholesterol.If I had taken that I could have immediately needed my liver transplant. (according to my hepatologist). I also went to him with chest pain in December he told me it was all "psychosomatic" and ordered me some cymbalta and lunesta (which I'm not taking). He also did a drug test on me after telling me that "no one loses that much weight without being on drugs". He called me back the next day and told me my drug test was "negative". DUH and he called in 2 antibiotics to my pharmacy because my white blood count was elevated. I didn't pick up the antibiotics, because my white count has been over 14000 for the last 4 yrs. That is perfectly normal for a person while they are on prednisone. He also told me to take benefiber, 3 colace a day, 2 TBSP lactulose a day and correctol or dulcolax as needed for constipation. DUH, if a person can't have a BM there is something wrong and just adding tons of laxative won't help. I'm definitely in the market for a new family doctor. The area we live in, it's hard to find a decent doctor. Having been an RN for 20 yrs. at least I know he's a quack and don't follow most of his advice. Just use him for prescription refills as needed in between times of seeing my hepatologist every 4 months.

LLV
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
LLV, I have passed out on 4 different occasions. Fortunately each of these times was when I was at work at the hospital. My glucose level "read unable to detect every time". So, it was below 20.

OMG, that's dangerous!

It's not too personal. I am on prednisone due to my liver condition. My illness causes a severe blistery, itchy rash that is controlled with the prednisone. It looks very much like chicken pox and was misdiagnosed as this to start with.

I'll bet that's not fun to live with :(

I'm definitely in the market for a new family doctor.

OH my gosh, hon, after reading all of that it sounds like you need one!

The area we live in, it's hard to find a decent doctor. Having been an RN for 20 yrs. at least I know he's a quack and don't follow most of his advice. Just use him for prescription refills as needed in between times of seeing my hepatologist every 4 months.

Well at least you recognize this. Having a 'bad' doctor can be downright dangerous. You sound like you know what you're doing more than your doctor does, lol.

MariaOfColumbia
02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't like our doctor, either. That's why I spend so much time reading books on the health problems that are in my family. We bought a glucose monitor and started monitoring my husband after he showed up as "prediabetic" in a company blood screening- and I started reading books. He hit actual diabetes shortly thereafter- but we've brought it down to prediabetes consistantly, and should shortly be down to normal levels, if the latest thing we are trying works.

It's a waste of time to actually consult the doctor on it.

lilybelle
02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Maria, I'm glad that what you are trying is working to keep your DH at pre-diabetes levels. It is always good to educate yourself on your family's medical conditions. I'm sure some doctors would prefer the patient know nothing and just trust them 100%. I'm not that type of patient. I do trust my liver doctor 100%. But, not my other doctor.

improbable
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a serious problem with the medical profession being the biggest ripoff there is. I just can NOT believe how much medications cost. Someone I know is on medications and hers totals over $1000 month. There's just no sense in that. I also believe that many people are "over-medicated" and taking more drugs than they need to. Not everyone, but many. Doctors find something wrong with you and slap a prescription in your hand. My doctor, for example, when he discovered my cholesterol was high, immediately wrote out a prescription for statins. I refused to take them. I said, "Shouldn't the first option be a personal attempt at lowering this myself with diet and exercise?"

Just had to chime in briefly - most of my family are doctors, and many of them are fighting as hard as everyone else to get prescription costs down. The way the healthcare system is set up in this country, the drug companies can charge essentially whatever they want. They spend MASS quantities of money on wining and dining doctors, bringing catered lunches every day to Dr's offices, etc... My dad has gotten so pissed off on more than one occasion that he's actually thrown drug company reps out of the office, and he limits them it to a total of one visit per week - there ARE sometimes legitimate reasons, new drugs, new uses for old drugs, but most of the time its pure and simple corporate shmoozing. And direct advertising to patients? Honestly, its pretty crazy. Millions of dollars being spent on slick ad campaigns instead of drug development - often for drugs that will only work for a VERY small proportion of people (and the prices are then commesurately astronomical), or drugs that people don't NEED but are convinced they now want, screw the long term. A lot of (good) doctors are also fighting the constant overprescription, especially of antibiotics, because overprescribing ANYTHING just leads to increased tolerance, and like I said, the drug companies are just about profits - they'd rather make things that people take every day, its not in their interest financially to improve medicines that are basically working. All of these things drive up the cost of prescriptions massively, which drive up the cost of insurance, which leads to over 40% of Americans having absolutely no form of health insurance. In addition, a lot of patients get really angry and defensive when doctors push them to exercise or diet - not that they don't or shouldn't do it, but its exhausting to be yelled at every day, I guess I can see how someone might stop caring - its not GOOD doctoring, by any stretch of the imagination, though.

ennay
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
When my dad moved out here to go into assisted living he was on 16 prescriptions. Only about 4 of them were for diseases, the other 12 were to manage the side effects of the drugs.

The problem was whenever a new symptom showed up his doc would just prescribe another drug instead of checking to see if it was maybe a side effect.

When we were getting his records his doc couldnt tell us what drugs he was on. He would just renew prescriptions and add more. Only his pharmacist was able to get us a list.

alinnell
02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
When my dad moved out here to go into assisted living he was on 16 prescriptions. Only about 4 of them were for diseases, the other 12 were to manage the side effects of the drugs.

The problem was whenever a new symptom showed up his doc would just prescribe another drug instead of checking to see if it was maybe a side effect.

When we were getting his records his doc couldnt tell us what drugs he was on. He would just renew prescriptions and add more. Only his pharmacist was able to get us a list.

My Mom is currently on a myriad of medications and is seeing both a cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon. When I was visiting her, I took her to see one of them and I insisted she take all her meds with her. The nurse told her that it was a good thing and she went over every bottle to make sure the dosage was correct and that they were aware that she was on it (she even took her OTC meds). The doctor also looked at the list once the nurse printed it out and then he went over the meds with my Mom, what they were, what they did (even if he had not prescribed them) and then asked Mom if she had questions. Boy did she, but she had always been afraid to ask him! She indicated a few problems that seemed to be associated with her high blood pressure meds and he explained that although she didn't have high blood pressure, she needed to stay on the med for at least 3 months post-op to make sure that her heart healed properly (she had just had open heart surgery). I think my Mom went away from that doctor visit a lot happier than she had in the past.

LLV
02-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Just had to chime in briefly - most of my family are doctors, and many of them are fighting as hard as everyone else to get prescription costs down.

I don't mean the doctors, hon, I mean the pharmaceutical companies. The people who set the prices. Most doctors have no control over that.

AquaWarlock
02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Are these people biologically OK? I only ask this because it's an obscene amount of food and I did read a story recently about how some people were born without the body signals that indicate satiety (or alternatively, body signals that are constantly firing off 'I'm hungry'), and thus consequently, automatically overeat themselves to death, literally!

Kamily828
03-06-2007, 02:58 PM
For those that missed it, TLC is showing this again on 3/7 @ 10:00pm and 1:00am

Rosario
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
thanks for posting that info....i've been meaning to watch it but have missed all the air times.....i set my DVR already

Vamp
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you so much! Hopefully I can remember to set the DVR after water aerobics tonight.. :) I'm usually a little bit braindead by that time. :dizzy:

Kamily828
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
You're welcome

FullSteamAhead
03-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi, I saw the show last night.

THanks kamilee, I happened to be online last night at the same exact time and managed to catch the show from the start. I have, had seen very similiar shows, but glad you posted the info.

Hm, I had many feelings while watching the show, many thoughts. It saddened me, yes, because I could see the emotional torment. Also, the women "Jackie" " who if does not get better will be housebound soon", what can I say? I hope more therapists specialize in this area. Food disorders of any sort is a pretty narrowed feild, and a very tricky one!

As for the doc, the obesity specialist, of course he is a behaviorist and his views were purely phsyiological. Great! but the only thing is, I would of like d to have seen more of the psychological aspect of it......I did from the little that was introduced by, and so eloquently I feel, the patients. Insurance companies , ah, reimburse behavioral viewpoints these days! Long gone are the intricate details of psychology or workings of the mind that cannot be shown on paper! Ok, im saying no more on that issue! Anyways, as important as phsiology is, so is psychology.....or the part of the mind and its intricate workings that cannot be explained on paper! To make a long story short, aside from the physical help these individuals are getting, I would hope to see some outreach work! An outreach therapist, one who is knowldeagable in that area, to go to their home!!!!!!

I really think, with the appropriate therapist in many respects , an outreach worker would be of utmost help! To address the biological reasons and not the psychological ones, is. well isssss.......a yin without the yang! I would love to see a follow up on this program, steps taken to help these individuals,etc. It is so far and beyond phsyiology, like I said, I would have like to have seen the psychology addressed more. I want to ask you ladies. I saw it as trying to fill an emptyness or a void, even a form of sedation with food.........yet every person said they got a europhic feeling from eating, or a high, was that from the spiked blood sugar levels? It seemed a bit counteractive to me, in the sense of emotions and biology.

you know what would of made my night? to have them say, ok this person or that person is going in there! god, why ignore the psychological aspects, they are paramount! perhaps they are not ignoring it, its just how I read it.

Anyways, I will never forget a story. When I was a teen (long ago, I am in my early 40's now) , I went with my Dh to see a guy about a car we were looking to purchase (he wasn't my dh yet, but is now ;) THe guy said to me, " please, will you go in the house and talk to my wife, she is housbound and never see's any people" Well I did, you know how it is when we are that young, I was fearless, gosh you should see me now, lol. (so weary) I went in to see her and she was the nicest lady everrrrrrr, so nice andso kind and so happy to just talk to someone! I never forgot it, never. Oh im rambling now, anyways, I guess i felt sad or saw the pain and I just wish they would addresssssssssssssssss issues other than phsiology!

booklover
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the info on dates and times. I taped the show and watched it the next morning. Like everyone else, I was shocked by the stories and it has helped to remind me all the reasons why I chose to start this new weight-loss journey -- and to see it through until completion.

Many things impressed me, and I watched the show with conflicting reactions. I was struck by how family members enabled this behavior, either through fear that the person would do worse left alone, or out of guilt. The guy living in the Harlem apartment was completely dependent on his parents and relatives to feed him the enormous amount of food he consumed each day. If they were afraid he would call delivery places, why didn't they just take his cell phone away? Or remove the bucket and rope that he lowered to receive food? Or cut him off financially? If they are the source of his food, they can avoid enabling his behavior. It's a difficult family dynamic to be sure, but someone should have said "No" to this guy at some point in his life.

What scared me the most was not the stories about the extremely obese people (600-700 lbs), but the story about the woman who weighed 364 pounds. She seemed very active and she did not look "Super Morbidly Obese" to me. I was also scared by the fact that she weighed only 50 pounds more than I did at my highest weight. What made her story uniquely frightening, I think, is that she gained 40-50 of those pounds just in the last six months because of her compulsive eating. Also, she seemed genuinely shocked when confronted by the amount of food she ate on a daily basis.

All in all, I think this show was excellent. I appreciated the human approach to the story as well as the medical information about just how deadly obesity is. I'm going to keep the tape so I can watch it whenever I feel discouraged or feel will power slipping.

Good luck to everyone.

almostheaven
03-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I saw someone asking on another thread about how the people on this show, on disability, could afford to eat that much in food. I'll almost bet they get assistance from local food pantries. My dad runs a pantry and you'd be amazed at the amounts of food they give out. Those families canNOT eat that much food....BUT, the pantry has limited space. They get their stock from a regional organization that takes in donated items and doles them out to all the church pantries. When the pantry goes to pick up, they have their allotted section and have to take it all. Once they get back to the church, they go through the boxes. They one day received 11 CASES of Mach 4 razors. They have a 12 x 12 room. Where can they store 11 cases? Then there's the food. They have one freezer and one fridge. If they get too much, they gotta get rid of it. So they give out as much as they can stuff into a familie's trunk/backseat. They load these people down with enough food to feed a horse. Some of them likely give stuff to family/friends because they can't eat it all. But if the church didn't give it out, it'd get thrown out. So at least someone's getting the benefit of it.

NWGal
03-09-2007, 07:40 PM
It's scary to know these people are on a suicide path, killing themselves with junk food and such. It is very sad. They are both physically and psychologically ill and need a lot of help. Their families should have tried harder to help them get out of the predicament. They want food, fine, give them veggie, fruits, lean protein and brown rice. Stop giving them junk and greasy food!

Ready2ShedLBS
03-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I want to see this so bad, not that I like to see people like this but it puts things in perspective for me. I totally feel like a failure when I eat 1800 cals a day when my limit is 1500. Could you imagine death by food? Geez... I love food.. but I have never loved food that much, and nothing, NOTHING tastes as good as skinny feels.. well... maybe chocolate right before TOM :rofl:

Kamily828
03-09-2007, 10:36 PM
I was struck by how family members enabled this behavior, either through fear that the person would do worse left alone, or out of guilt. The guy living in the Harlem apartment was completely dependent on his parents and relatives to feed him the enormous amount of food he consumed each day. If they were afraid he would call delivery places, why didn't they just take his cell phone away? Or remove the bucket and rope that he lowered to receive food? Or cut him off financially? If they are the source of his food, they can avoid enabling his behavior. It's a difficult family dynamic to be sure, but someone should have said "No" to this guy at some point in his life.

It would have been hard for him, but I think he still would have found a way to get the food he wanted.

alinnell
03-10-2007, 10:52 AM
DH and I watched this last night (Tivo'd it from before). DH kept asking, where do they get the food and where do they get the money for the food. The families are definitely enablers.

lisa66
03-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Well, I see this has been a very hot topic. I have read this thread and have really become saddened at how judgemental people can be. I am the "600 pound lady" from the documentary. This is the first time that I had the guts to search out what people were having to say about the show. I wish I had not. But, maybe I can tell my side, (and probably the side of the others in the show).

I was contacted about a year ago about being on the show. The producers were from the UK and said they were making a series about morbidly obese people titled "Larger Than Life". They said they would fly over here to talk and film a few days with me--kinda like 'a day in the life'. I said NO at first because I did NOT want to be circus sideshow freak. I live in a small town and I didn't want my friends, family, and neighbors to see me like that. They spent a lot of time talking with me about the previous people they had filmed and some of the other shows they had filmed. The thing that made me change my mind was that they said could put me in touch with professionals who could help me. Plus, they said that this show was being filmed for British TV and wouldn't be seen over here. They also said that they had gotten very good feedback from viewers of the earlier shows and that people seemed sympathetic with our plight. Oh, and that I would be helping other obese people.

I talked to my son before I made my decision. He said it was fine with him if I wanted to do it. In a few days they were here. For three days I sat with them in my home and answered their questions. Let me tell you, being filmed like that is nothing like what you expect it to be. There was a producer/director and her assistant (and a camera guy and sound man) and they were all VERY nice.

The producer kept asking questions over and over and had me to keep repeating my answers. We talked about everything: my life as a child, my school years, how my weight and food affected me my whole life. And we spent a lot of time talking about how I lost 200 lbs about 3-4 years ago. They would ask me over and over about my eating habits and I would tell them: aside from a craving for sweets, that I ate pretty normal--yes, larger portions than most, but NOT how they exaggerated on the show! They repeatedly asked me what my favorite foods were--but NOT what a typical day's menu would be like.

On the last day, they filmed the scene with all the food on the table, they had me in another room while they set that up. I had no idea they were going to go out and get all of that take-away food. It was all things that I had said previously were my favorite. While they were setting it up, my son came to me and said that he didn't know what they were up to but he thought they trying to exaggerate what I ate. After 3 days of filming, I was tired of it all and just wanted it to be over. They had me go in there and make comments about the food. I never said that I could eat all of that in one day. (In fact, I usually eat two meals a day and yes, some snacks.) In fact, I wouldn't eat all of that in 3 days. I actually eat about 3,000 calories a day--which is a lot but not the 9,000 they said I ate.

The scenes that have me looking at the plate of cookies and eating the pizza were set up. They 'directed' me how to act at seeing the cookies and told me to go over there and eat one.

As several of you mentioned, it would be impossible to afford to eat like that. I am not wealthy, but have NEVER received food from a food bank. I do have pride and would not take away from those who need those resources. Also, we do not receive any other food stamps or welfare. I do work at home as a web designer. No, I don't just sit around eating all day.

I do have a lot of friends and family and I have never asked any of them to bring me food. I do not leave my house a lot, but I am not housebound.

Now, the most important thing I wanted to address is what has been said about my son. My son is 20 yrs old. He is a wonderful, handsome young man that I am so proud of and love more than ANYTHING in the world. He is not depressed nor is he oppressed by me. He is intelligent and has a wonderful sense of humor. He is someone that I would want to know and be a part of his life even if I were not his mother. He has his own life. He is a drummer in a rock band that is trying to get a record deal, has a girlfriend, and a full-time job. He has lots of friends that are in and out of our house all of time. He will not be living with me but a few more months. He will be going on tour with his band this summer and after that plans to move out on his own.

Do you know what they didn't show? They didn't show the fruits and vegetables that I do regularly eat. And, they definitely didn't include any of those things on the table with my other favorite foods. I love fresh fruit and eat a lot of salads--one of my favorite snacks are raw carrots. I only drink diet sodas (maybe 2 cans) and sugar-free flavored waters. I drink lots of water. I don't just eat junk and take-away as they implied.

When I saw the show, I had no idea what was going to be in it. I assumed it would be a mix of the different things we had talked about. My segment was last. When I saw the first 3 people, I thought "how can they eat so much?" Then I saw how they made me look. I am sure that those other people do not NORMALLY eat the amounts that was shown. The doctor said that I would gain something like 50 lbs a month if I ate like that. Well, I haven't gained 50 lbs. In fact, I weigh about 20 less than I did then.

I do regret doing the show. They have NEVER contacted me since they left nor have they answered any of my emails. They told me they would send me a copy of the show once they completed it. I didn't even know it had been shown over here until someone told me they had seen it. The first night it was on, I passed by the title on the program guide and thought about watching it. Then I thought that I didn't want to see something with that title because obviously it would be impossible for someone to eat 33,000 calories a day. I feel like we were exploited. I don't think any of us would have agreed to be involved if we knew the titled would be "I Eat 33,000 Calories a Day". I guess it's all in the name of ratings or whatever. Try to make it interesting and grab the viewers. I guess something good did come out of it: some of you were so grossed out and disgusted by me and the others that you're finding it easier to stick to your diets.

It makes me sad to see how people who I assume are also struggling with their weight can judge me and the others on the show. I struggle everyday with my weight and do try to make the right decisions. It is easy to look at someone who is worse off than yourself and say things like "why don't they just quit eating" or "don't they know they are killing themselves?". But, if you are having trouble getting off the 20, 30, 50 or 100 lbs that you want to lose and are having difficulty, why do you think it is different for me? When I googled the name of the show to find a forum where it had been discussed, I choose this one because it was called "3 Fat Chicks". I thought that maybe this would be a good place to not only find people who might be understanding and might even be a nice place to stick around for dieting support. I'm sorry if this has been rather long...

Lisa

almostheaven
03-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Lisa, this IS a good place for support. You shouldn't get angry at people who cannot figure out how someone could possibly manage to eat 33,000 calories a day, but at the show who you readily admit exaggerated it. The people here can only comment on what they knew...what they saw. Now you've added insight that no one here could have known about. Even YOU wondered "When I saw the first 3 people, I thought "how can they eat so much?"" That's all anyone here was doing. Trying to figure out how it was possible. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd be contacting the news media to let them know about this fraudulent show. Maybe that would get their attention moreso than emails to them.

alinnell
03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree Lisa, this is a great place to get the support that many of us need while attempting to lose weight and get healthy. You have a very good attitude and it is sad to hear how you were exploited. I wish you luck in your life and hope you come back and visit us often.

Janie Canuck
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Lisa, I didn't see the show, but I sympathize for you re: the way they exaggerated things, just to make it more sensational. Also, I admire your courage for coming on here to tell your story.

I can certainly see how you would feel hurt by some of the posts - it's very hard not to take it personally when someone is talking about your weight "behind your back". But look again, please... a lot of posts weren't "oh, that's so gross"... a LOT of them were identifying with you and the people on the show, acknowledging that they could SO see themselves in the same position. I think a lot of posters were literally scared by how closely they could identify with your situation. This is a very supportive place - give it a chance, and you might decide to stick around.

Glory87
03-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I am saddened by the media's blatant sensationalism of your life - it is a lesson for all of us to keep in mind at all times when reading the news, watching TV or looking at the internet. Most media is concerned with making money and will do anything to attract viewers. It's easier to believe what seems to be clearly depicted, but your post has really opened my eyes to the deceptiveness and callousness of producers like that. They really can warp and twist anything to say anything and most of us all just lap it up :(

Beach Patrol
03-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Lisa - I also have not seen the show & do not care to. I was shocked when I heard it was on TLC (The Learning Channel) because I always considered it to be a "factual" channel. But now that I've heard you say that they certainly didn't portray you &/or your eating habits as is exact, & probably didn't portray the others that way either, it makes me wonder if ANYTHING is "factual" anymore. I enjoy Discovery & Discovery Health, The History Channel, Animal Planet & so forth. And now I wonder how much they are ALL "stretching the truth" to get those fabulous ratings.

I do hope you stick around here. This is a wonderful support system. We've all struggled, & many of us continue to struggle. See my nice avatar? That WAS me.... 40 pounds & nearly 2 years ago. I have lost & regained 30-40 pounds at least 6 times in the past 18-20 years. I have lost the weight in different ways but always end up gaining it back. Believe me, it's as much of a struggle as anyone else's.

I don't think it matters whether we have 20, 50, 100 or 300 or more pounds to lose. The fact is, we're an obese country. 1/3 Americans are overweight or obese. It's sad, frustrating, aggravating, and seemingly hopeless, at times. That's WHY we need things like 3FatChicks! - we need support. We need encouragement. We need to know that others face the same obstacles that we're facing.

So please, stick around. I think you might like it here! :D

hikerchick
03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Lisa,

I haven't seen the show. Things like this make me glad I don't have a tv. Its really terrble that the show portrayed you in this light.

You really should stick around here it is a great place for support and not judgemental at all. I don't think the people in this thread were judging you at all but instead a false image of you from the show. I encourage you to tell your real story and to search around this site for other peoples stories. Some of these ladies are very inspirational.

I am very glad you found us.

problysewin
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Never believe everything you see or hear in the media (t.v., mags, paper). They just want to make money.

Cheryl14
03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi Lisa!

Welcome!:wave:

I'm the one who started this thread after having seen the show on TLC. I'm SOOOOO glad that you had the courage to step up and share the background story of the film! :) Thank you for giving us all insight that we never would have had without your generous effort to tell YOUR side of the story!

I have read over the entire thread and must say that although you were misrepresented in the show, the show apparently has helped bring us all together here on this site to support you and ANYONE who is having difficulty with their weight! There may have been MUCH that was misrepresented on the show, and we are ALL sorry that that happened to you :hug: , but the show DID offer us much insight into how food can become something a lot more than a fuel for our bodies.

I hope that you will visit often and give us all more of your insight. Here at 3FC we all are always learning. We are from many different countries and have different issues with food and trouble with getting motivated to exercise, and we all have difficulty with the control that food has over us. Some have tiny amounts to lose, and many of us have plenty still to lose in order to be healthy individuals. A show like the one you were on helped me a great deal, and I know others have said that as well. Thank you for having the courage to put your life out there for all of us to see so that we could better understand you...on film and in real life as a fellow 3FC member!

Hugs to you! :hug:

Cheryl

Mami
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Lisa, that is really sad that the show misrepresented you and your beloved son. What a horrible thing! I mean we get upset when gossip travels among our tiny circles, but sheesh, to be on national TV and feel you were misrepresented is really attrocious. I didnt see the show and now I'm glad I didnt!

But I do think a lot of people on 3FC are incredibly sympathetic with your plight. Not being misrepresented on national TV, but with being overweight. We could all use support in our weight loss efforts, and we hope you will join the network here and try to get that weight down. Your health obviously depends upon it! :)

lisa66
03-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Thank you so much for your warm welcome. I'm sorry if I sounded angry--I was just sad. I feel foolish that I was so naive and foolish to have even been involved in the whole thing. I just wanted help.

You all seem very nice and I do appreciate your offer of support. As I mentioned in my previous post, I lost 200 lbs a few years ago. I had actually dropped down to 417 in a matter of 6 months. My dr had prescribed phentermine and I ate low carb. After a while, the pill stopped having any efftect--it is for short term use only anyway. My therapist put me on high doses of prozac which was supposed to help me lose weight. If anything, it did the opposite. I became a zombie and the weight began to come back fast. It's such a horrible cycle--you are depressed by your weight--you eat because you are depressed.

I have been doing better the past few months. I made a New Year resolution that I would stop eating candy. I have only had candy one time since, on Valentine's Day. Candy used to be what I craved most. I have almost totally stopped my nighttime eating.

Anyway, I have to get back to work. I think I would like to stay around. :) Thank you all!

Lisa

alinnell
03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Anyway, I have to get back to work. I think I would like to stay around. :) Thank you all!

Lisa

Lisa~we want you to stay around!!!!

Janie Canuck
03-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Glad to hear you plan to stick around. I'm pretty new myself, but it's a very supportive place - I'm becoming addicted. Oh well, it's a lot better for me than my sugar addiction!

NotTheCheat
03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Lisa - I have just finished reading this thread and although I have never seen the show, I am so angry at the way they misrepresented you!

There are many great areas of 3FC, but I wanted to invite you over to the 300+ section (under support groups). While the whole site is fantastic, sometimes it really helps to be able to talk to others who have a lot to lose.

Cheryl14
03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Lisa!

I know what you mean when you say that you are depressed by your weight so you eat and that causes you to feel MORE depressed! That's pretty much the theme for many of us around here!

Please don't feel bad about the show! You can't beat yourself up for something that you couldn't control. You didn't know how they would edit the final piece.

What you DO need to know is that the show struck a chord with many of us! We saw ourselves in the show or at least the potential for us to be in the same situation because of our own eating habits. There are many similarities between people who are heavy -probably more similarities than differences!

Each of us have triggers. For you it's candy; for me it's cheese! Of course I have OTHER triggers, but cheese is my biggie! Congratulations on handling your candy and on handling the night eating!:carrot:

Glad to hear that you would like to stick around! I'm looking forward to having you as a part of our team!

Cheryl

PERAXIES
03-20-2007, 05:31 AM
:welcome2: Im fairly new here too, and glad your sticking around.. isnt it great here?! Im so glad you had the courage to say something. -- i know with me, i have the hardest time sticking up for myself. so KUDOS to you for doing so!! i hope you become an integral member here, as it seems you have some important info you can share..in the past you've had 200 lbs lost thats incredible!! not very many people can say they have done that :dancer: -- anyways.. a big warm :welcome3: and i hope to see you around!

:hug: Lana

Torister
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Lisa, I am glad you are sticking around. I also encourage you to join us over at the 300+ group. They are a bunch of great people who are so supportive and thats where I RUN when I am feeling like diving off plan.

Just so you know, I saw the show on TLC. I want you to remember that most people realize that shows on TV are there to bring ratings up. They don't care who they hurt in the process and sure they take things out of context and sensationalize *everything*. The general public is not stupid. we know that. I am so sorry that they essentially victimized you, but why not take this and turn it around to help yourself with a little help from some new friends here on 3FC?? Success is the sweetest revenge. Remember that! :hug:

Hang in there sweetie and have a great day!! :hug:

ellabella
03-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Lisa - and all,
Sometimes I think it's the depression over our weight that triggers everything else - the "what difference does it make?", the "who cares?", the "why even try?" kind of thinking. And it IS a vicious cycle, because the more we give in to our cravings, the worse we feel, and the worse we feel, the more we give in to our cravings. I'm one of those people who tends to see the whole medical profession as a giant leech - dependent on our being *sick* in order for it to flourish. My attitude is a little extreme, I know, because in many instances, medicine really is neccessary; it's just that I saw my mother become increasingly dependent on huge numbers of pills - many of which were prescribed to counter the side effects of the others that she was taking - until she became totally convinced that without taking these umpteen thousand pills a day, she would die. My mother wasn't obese - just on the *plump* side - probably weighed about 180 at 5'6. But she was very definitely a hypochondriac, and her doctors fed right into it. ANYWAY, somebody in this thread mentioned the psychological triggers for obesity, and I have to agree that it isn't all about the physical. Sure, there may be some people who have some sort of internal chemical imbalance that flashes "I'm hungry" all the time, but I doubt that that's what's up with most of us. I've seen some of you - especially those of you who have lost amazing amounts of weight - say that at some point, something in your brain says "ENOUGH!" I know for sure that that's what it takes with me. If that little "click" hasn't clicked, I can try my hardest to diet, and it never works. At some point, we manage to decide that we're worth it - worth all the effort it takes.
And sometimes it takes a healthy dose of annoyance to overcome the feelings of depression.
I'm sixty years old. I don't know how I got here; can't imagine being sixty, but that's what the calendar says, so I guess it must be true. I'm looking in the mirror, I see a few more wrinkles, and a little more heft. Surely that's not age-related? Okay, fine. I just need to adjust being older, right? Your looks decline. You get heavier and have a bigger lap for the grandkids to sit in. Nothing wrong with that.
But, here I am, looking at ads for those upscale retirement communities (not that we'd ever even consider living in one of them), and all the women in those ads look thirty years old - except they have silver hair!
This is soooooooooooo like Lane Bryant using skinny models, you know?:mad:
BUT, that made me re-evaluate! It really did! How weird is that? And then I felt the *click*, and here I am.
You never know what's going to motivate you, but with me, it took being incensed at the way the media twists and misrepresents things to thier advantage.
I'm not buying into their danged retirement community, but I AM going to take off this weight!
So, hearing that this show about the 33,000 calories a day (I didn't see it) was a gross misrepresentation doesn't surprise me a bit.

To heck with them, Lisa. Hang out with us here at 3FC. I really think you'll like it. :)

Bye for now,
Ella :wave:

cajungal328
03-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Welcome to 3FC, Lisa...

I'm sorry that so many people have said such not nice things, based on the drastically exagerated situations they have seen on this low rate TV show. But, in this case, they were just commenting on the information that they saw on a TV show. They didn't know the whole story. I've never seen the show, but I am assuming that it was not pleasant. These people don't know you, and didn't know how exagerated this show really is at the time. They just see people, exagerated or not, that are eating uncontrollably. The show made you and the others look like you just eat and eat, and you just don't care. Now we know that is not true, and I, for one, am glad to know that we were wrong.

I'm sure that if you had known that they would show you in that light, you would have never agreed to do the show. You had good instincts when you wanted to refuse them. They lied to you and exploited you, and made you look like what you feared they would in the beginning. You have been humiliated by them. Have you ever though about suing the people who filmed this show? Maybe you should go and talk to a lawyer, maybe find out exactly what you signed, and where you stand legally with this situation. Also maybe find out how to contact the others filmed, and get them involved.. You have all been seriously wronged. I would take it to court....

Scatts
03-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Lisa-

I too saw the show... and wanted you to know that not everyone who watched it believed everything they were trying to feed us. Particularly you and the British lady... it was obvious things were very set up and manipulated... there was more to the story than they were showing and it was obvious.

I'm glad you came here to tell your story. It makes more sense than the story they told... I think that is why alot of people in the thread were questioning the whole situation so much... it simply didnt make sense the way they told it.

Just wanted you to know the first thing I thought of you when I saw you on my screen... I thought you were very pretty... you have a sort of 1920's classic beauty to you. :) Even said so to my fiance. ;)

FullSteamAhead
03-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi Lisa :)

I did see the show and I agree with CHeryl in not beating yourself about it. I was wondering from the getgo about follow up help and I see that something very wonderful came out of that show! : ) You found this site and you found us! THe support is unbeleivable here and we can get it daily, as often as we want! how great is that? I am happy you posted and reached out on the site, I just wanted to say :wel3fc: also, congratulations on your progress with the candy and late night eating, keep up the awesome work and stick around :)

booklover
03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Lisa, thank you so much for coming forward. That was truly brave of you.

After reading your posts and the details behind your story I am SHOCKED and appalled by the way TLC and the UK film company treated you and misrepresented your story. I had no idea how manipulative and deceptive the production company was. In fact, I have to call into question their portrayal of all the other people on the show as well. This certainly puts things in a totally different light. I would urge you to tell YOUR side of the story in some other media forum, if and when you feel you are ready, because I think it's a story that should be told.

That said, 3fatchicks is a wonderfully supportive site for people who have struggled with weight issues their whole lives. I am one of the people in the 300 lb club, and though I weigh less than that now, I still deal with size issues. We've all walked several miles in each other's shoes. There is no one on this site who hasn't experienced in some way the pain and embarrassment that comes with unwanted weight gain. This site is filled with helpful information, great tips, and most of all -- tremendous support. Keep coming back. Let us know how you are doing.

I wish you good luck in your new journey. And thanks again for having the courage to come forward.