South Beach Diet - Phase I - Week of January 29

View Full Version : Phase I - Week of January 29

Ruthxxx
01-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Whether you are just starting out or on the home stretch for Phase I, this thread is for you to share ideas, menus and victories.

Shenanigans
01-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Hello Everyone! Well... I am back. I started SBD for the first time in the Fall and lost alittle over 10 pounds! I was at the thinnest I have ever been in my adult life. Then all of the winter holidays, family gatherings, shopping, and traveling happened... and everything I learned and worked for disappeared. It was like something snapped in my brain and all of those bad eating habits came back with a vengence.

So... I am starting over on Phase 1 starting TODAY! I went shopping last night and cleared out my kitchen of everything that is not needed. I also got a membership at a gym too!

I think having this site and all of you to chat with really helped me last fall stay on track and do what I needed to do. I found that when I was off SB, I avoided this site. So, I am back and am planning to stick around this time.
B- 1 egg w/ LF cheese + mushrooms, 8oz V-8 (calcium)
S-mixed nuts
L-salad (mixed greens, mushrooms, celery, cucumbers), LF lunchmeat rolls
S-celery sticks w/ horseradish hummus
D-grilled shrimp (and some kind of veggie side)

I am also planning on going to a weight lifting class from 5:30-6:30.
Hope everyone is having a great start to their week!

Thanks Ruth for starting this thread!

Ruthxxx
01-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Brain snap happens to me too! It takes forever to heal up too.
:welcome: back and no more shenanigans, Shenanigans! :lol:
Don't forget the dairy and legumes although I see hummus! I'm about to make a three bean salad.

Nikki128
01-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Hello-

I am new to the beach. Today is my first day. I just had breakfast 3 sausage links and 2 bacon. I'm not an egg fan so I am trying to stay away. Snack will be a piece of laughing cow cheese on 2 celery sticks.For lunch I will do salmon wrapped in lettuce with lime juice. A second snack will be 30 pistachios. Then for dinner a pork chop, 1 cup salad and 1 serving of mock mash potatoes. How does this sound for phase 1? I am still a little confused but I think I got it down.
Also, if I bought some phase 2 meals by mistake can I take the bread out and still eat them or is that not advised?

Thanks for your help,
Nikki

GAGIRL320
01-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Hello Ladies

I have decided to inch my way back to the beach, after a long over due vacation so to speak.
The DH & I started (again) last night Wish me luck!

Today's menu
B cheese omelet, sausage link
S no snack (ate breakfast at 8:30 & lunch will be at 11:30)
L 2 turkey, ham & cheese rolls, can of smoked oysters - by the way are these allowed??
S SF vanilla pudding
D taco salad, no shell, with ground turkey
S - not sure yet

Nikki128
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Cheryl-

Nice to see you. I am on my first day of the beach. Did you have good success last time?
My meal plan for today is:

breakfast:
3 sausage links 2 bacon
snack:
1 celery stalk and 1 laughing cow low fat swiss
Lunch:
tuna or salmon on lettuce wrap with lime juice
Snack:
pistachios
Dinner:
Salad, pork chop, chopped spinach
Snack:
not sure

Does that look ok?

Nikki

GAGIRL320
01-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Hello there! yes it did very well for me, I have hypothyroidism and have tried every diet I think and this is the only one that showed any results, and considering it has been some time since I have gotten back OP I have maintained pretty well, my weight loss comes slower than most but a pound lost is a pound lost is the way I look at it.

I am not sure but I would watch the sausage & bacon, I use turkey most of the time. the mods here are a great group and will help out alot.

good luck!!!

Ruthxxx
01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Whoa on the sausage and bacon! Please peruse the stickies in the FAQ Section. There's one on sausage there and the REVISED Phase I Food List. You must be sure to have legumes, dairy and at least 4.5 cups of good veggies. IMHO iceberg lettuce is not a veggie - it's a nutritional nobody! :lol:
Are the Phase II meals frozen? If so, save them.

Nikki128
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
hi-

Thanks for the reply. I feel like a fool I hate eggs so I was trying to eat protein without eggs. Also I used Romaine instead of ice berg I agree with you on the ice berg. I will have a nice size salad with dinner and only use lemon juice on it.Also I had a glass of milk and some cheese today for my dairy. So I looked at the stickies and it looks like 1 sausage link every week might beok but no more. Also, are pork chops not allowed on Phase I ? I am unsure. I will put the meals and bars aside until I hit phase 2.I'm not use to eaing so much so this is pretty hard for me to eat so much.

Nikki

Barb0522
01-29-2007, 03:38 PM
gagirl - I'm not sure on the smoked oysters but I can tell you that pudding is not allowed on phase 1 because of the starches that are added as thickeners.

Ruthxxx
01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Eagle Eye Barb - I missed that! We need to checked out the ingredients in the smoked oysters. What kind of oil are they packed in?

GAGIRL320
01-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Didn't eat the pudding anyways, kinda bitter I couldn't take it, did opt for sf jello cup, the watermelon is yummy

mandi78
01-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone, I'm starting back tomorrow. I've been off plan for awhile myself (sounds like I'm not alone in that respect). Some of you may have read my post about cholesterol and tg's....not too terribly bad but like my doc said, I need to fix it before it's broke. Anyway, I have a few questions and suggestions.

1) I can't remember but were carrots added as being allowed on Phase 1? For some reason, I thought they were but I may have dreamed it. 2)Is sugar-free pudding allowed on phase 2?

Nikki-Some breakfast ideas that don't include eggs. I get tired of eggs sometimes and it's hard for me to get up and cook in the morning anyway as I'm not a morning person but I do HAVE to eat breakfast or I'll get sick.

1-2% cottage cheese
lean turkey or ham & cheese rollups (just be sure there is not too much sodium or any type of sugar in the preservatives). There are a few brands of lunchmeat out now that are natural with very minimal preservatives and salt. Oscar Mayer makes one and there are a few other brands as well
V8 juice, if you like it
Plain yogurt and add some vanilla or almond extract or lemon juice and some splenda for flavor
turkey bacon (you can have 2 slices of this per day)

Hope this helps.

Nikki128
01-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Thank you Mandi. I think tomorrow I will try some lf ricotta and unsweetened cocoa powder. The mocha ricotta recipe. I am really bummed I messed up on the first day already :(

Nikki

Ruthxxx
01-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Everyone, PLEASE read the Revised Phase I Food List in the Frequently Asked Questions Section and the other stickeis there.

Carrots are Phase II and puddings are as well.

Read the breakfast thread in the recipe section for ideas.

Nikki128
01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I have to say I have read the stickies and I think my only mistake was the breakfast. Can someone confirm this as I am getting confused.

Thanks
Nikki

Ruthxxx
01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Sorry you are getting confused. There's a lot to learn and some old ideas to scrap.

Pork is allowed - lean pork only as in loin chops well-trimmed of fat or pork tenderloin. PORK
Boiled ham
Canadian bacon
Loin
Tenderloin
Remember to think outside the box for breakfast. I had pea soup for breakfast the other morning and frequently have leftovers from the night before. Nobody says we need eggs for breakfast although the menus in the book seem to emphasise them.

Shenanigans
01-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey Nikki-- don't beat yourself up! We are relearning how and what to eat, we all make mistakes (I made a big one for the last three months). Just keep trying. The gals and guys on this site are very helpful. Even though I am starting over again, SB did work for me. Keep at it and see you tomorrow!

Nikki128
01-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the support Shenanigans :)

Thanks Ruth ... tomorrow I am going to try eggs with salsa its got no sugar I checked. I'll see if I can stomach it that way.

Nikki

GAGIRL320
01-29-2007, 09:24 PM
it is obvious that I need to refresh. I was going on memory,

Marianna
01-30-2007, 04:27 AM
I am sorry that I am not dropping in often to give support to all those on P1 - but my ability to get on the net is really up and down at the moment.

I weighed myself a day early as I am away from home for the next few days and on my first week doing phase 1 I have lost 2 kilos :carrot:and to be honest I have had a few slip ups with being out of home unexpectedly.. but I am feeling really good about my loss.

I hope everyone else is going well :D

Ruthxxx
01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Good going, Marianna. That's 4.4 pounds for the USA, chickies. (Canadians are supposed to be all metric but we really use in both.)

Nikki128
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Marianna - Congrats on your loss :carrot:

I was very happy I made it through yesterday my first day on Phase I without carbs :) This morning I am going to try eggs and salsa. I heard if you get through days 3-4 you are golden. I can't wait to get through them.

Nikki

Shenanigans
01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
A lot of people feel 'off' on days 2-4. I think this is because of the carb withdrawal. Some people are very tired, have headaches, or just feel odd. This is why some people either don't exercise or limit the amount of exercising they do in the first week. It is up to you to really listen to your body and do what is right for you.

Anyway... I had just regular eggs with some ICBIDB spray, a LF Turkey sausage link, and a glass of V-8 (w/ calcium). For my snack I am going to have yogurt to help with my dairy.

Hope you all are having a great day at the beach!

Nikki128
01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Sounds delicious. What kind of yougurt did you have? I love yougurt but can't stomach it plain so I will avoid it until I can have some of the fruit ones.

Nikki

Ruthxxx
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Nikki, you can have regular yogurt "sweetened" with Splenda. I sometimes added a bit of SF Jello powder for flavour. Experiment!

Those headaches and the dragginess can be helped by adding legumes and being sure you have your full allotment of dairy. By the way, except for cottage and ricotta, cheese is not considered dairy on this plan.

GAGIRL320
01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Morning chickadees

on the menu for today:
B cheese omelet & SF yogurt
S LF cheese cubes
L leftover taco salad w/blk beans
S SF peach jello
D Grilled chicken, bro & cauli, spag. squash (seems I am the only onse at home who likes this)
S ?? I usually do not eat a evening snack as it is about 7:00 pm when I get to eat dinner.

by the way where do you find SF fudgesicles??? I checked my local publix and all they had were NAS fudgesicles

HOPING TO DO BETTER TODAY THAN YESTERDAY!

Nikki128
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow I had no idea how strict they were about what is considered dairy and I read the book and stickes.

Nikki

GAGIRL320
01-30-2007, 10:15 AM
I use FF milk in my coffee ( and alot at that about 1/2 milk 1/2 coffee), I hope that counts, I am not a ricotta fan at all.

Ruthxxx
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Nikki, I re-visit the stickies almost every day and I'm supposed to know this stuff!
GAGIRL, NAS means no added sugar, I presume. Check the ingredients. The could be the same as SF. Maybe some of the USA chicks can tell you a brand to look for. Have you considered drinking milk! I don't like ricotta myself but get my milk in lattes and even drink milk and diet gingerale for a "treat" sometimes.

Nikki128
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Ok I opted for mocha ricotta instead of eggs. I guess I was expecting it to taste like it does on white cheese pizza. Boy was I wrong lol. The fat free stuff tastes much different.

Nikki

Shenanigans
01-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I am not a big fan of cottage and ricotta cheese either. I usually add some splenda and cinnamon... same with cottage cheese... it is really yummy. I also remember using SF jams too.

Nikki128
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I find the cheese is to gritty for me plain. I added the splenda and vanilla and unsweetened cocoa. I am having an interesting effect. The sweetness from it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I guess that is good. Maybe my body is adjusting to the lack of sugars fast.

Nikki

Shenanigans
01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
oooo.... I made cheesecake cupcakes last night and I will be having them for breakfast this morning!!! I am soo excited!

mandi78
01-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Shenanigans-What did you make the cheesecake cupcakes out of?

Nikki128
01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Which recipe did you use Shenanigans?

I am on day 3 and I peeked at the scale and am starting to see a decreae in my weight. I am very happy.
Today for breakfast I am going to do hard boiled eggs and a glass of milk :)

Nikki

Ruthxxx
01-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Somewhere there's a "Breakfast Cheescake" recipe but I haven't got time to search it at the moment.

Re the graininess of ricotta and cottage cheese, I zap it in my wee processor with an egg white and it smoothes out. I buy cartons of the pasteurized egg whites and use them a lot. It also gives extra protein, very few calories and no fat!

Nikki128
01-31-2007, 10:32 AM
great idea Ruth thank you :)

mandi78
01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I found this Nikki, maybe this is it.

Breakfast Cheesecake

24 oz Neufchatel (LF) Cream Cheese
8 oz Fat Free Cream Cheese
1 1/2 Cup Splenda
24 oz FF Cottage Cheese
6 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

------
In a mixing bowl beat the 4 packages of cream cheese and Splenda until smooth and fluffy. In a blender combine cottage cheese and eggs and blend until smooth. Add gradually to the cream cheese mixture. Finally fold in the vanilla. Pour into spring form pan (I use a regular pie pan and it works just fine). Put into an oven preheated to 400* for 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 200* and cooke for 40 more minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to stay in the oven until cooled off. Don't overcook this or you reuin the texture. It should be smooth and creamy.

Total Fat: 11.3g
Carbohydrates: 5.5g
Protein: 12.6g

16 Servings

You can sub out more FF cream cheese for the LF kind. The book says it makes a difference, but I've never noticed.

Ruthxxx
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Just found it. Here it isd and I've stickied it. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56019&highlight=Breakfast+Cheesecake)

Nikki128
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Wonderful you gals are so helpful :) I just made the mock mashed potatoes to have with dinner. I had to taste it and boy are they great :)

Niki

Barb0522
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
gagirl - SF would mean no sugar at all and you will never have that because of the lactose in the milk that is in fudgesicles. You want the no sugar added ones. I'm blanking on the brand that is the most common (yellow box) but they will be labeled no sugar added. Watch the size. I've seen one brand that had really large ones that were too high in calories.

Nikki128
02-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Good Morning Everyone-

Barb- Those fudgesicles sound delightful. I can see the box but don't remember the brand either.

I am very excited today. I made it through day 3 and I am down 2.2 lbs in 3 days :) I won't change my ticker because my official weigh in day is Monday. I noticed I have more energy and am not having any cravings either. This is so great I am grateful I found south beach:)

Nikki

GAGIRL320
02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi ladies, I am peeking in for a sec, kinda chillen out today, had 2 wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, I am surviving on Slim fast LC and SF Jello, can't have anything with chunks, or that I would have to chew til Monday, I am starving but I will be ok, I am drinking FF milk too.

I think the name is Popsicle LOL

Nikki128
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Feel better Gagirl :getwell:

I am sitting here enjoying a frappuchino made hot that I got the recipe for on here. It is delicious.

Ok I have a question is turkey peperroni ok on phase I? I saw the sticky for pepperoni crisps in Phase I. However, I read somewhere else it is not ok.

Help
Nikki

Nikki128
02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Morning Ladies-

I have a quick question.I made the veggie quiche cups to go. Are they suppose to be so little? Also, how many can we have at a time?

Thanks,
Nikki

Ruthxxx
02-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Nikki, I make them bigger. I use my 6 cup muffin pan (silicon) so each one is double.
Loading in lots of veggies really works. I find they reheat better from frozen if they sit on a folded paper towel and they are sort of wet otherwise.

Nikki128
02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks ruth I was thinking I'd double the batch next time and then I'll have more longer. they will be more filling that way too.

Nikki

Nikki128
02-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi Ladies-

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. I have a question regarding Phase I. How come beans are allowed if they are so high in carbs? I made a lean chili last night but added some beans. This morning I noticed a 1 lb weight gain. Prior to last night I had been eating 5-7 grams of carbs a day. I am convinced the gain is from the beans being so high in carbs. what is going on here? Any ideas?

Nikki

Ruthxxx
02-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Beans are allowed because they are slow carbs and don't cause your blood sugar level to rise as quickly as other types of carbs. I eat at least a half cup per day. Your weight "blip" is probably for some other reason.

By the way, we do not count carbs on this plan; we just focus on slow good carbs. I don't know what you are eating but 5 to 7 carbs per day seems awfully low, even lower than Atkins Induction. Are you including dairy?

Perhaps you could post a day or two of menus or run your foods through Fitday.

Nikki128
02-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Ruth-

Thanks for the info. Here is what I ate on Wednesday. Which is the day I had the biggest drop so far.

Breakfast :
Green tea
2 hard boiled eggs
Snack:
Pepperoni crisps
Water bottle
Lunch:
1 lettuce wrap with turkey and mayo
1 lettuce wrap with ham and mustard
Water bottle
Snack:
½ Cucumbers with balsamic vinegerette
Dinner:
1 pork chop
salad
mock taters
Water bottle
Snack:
Almonds (15)

and Thursday:
Breakfast:
Green tea
2 eggs 2 bacon
Water bottle
Snack:
Coffee drink < mocha SB>
Celery and cheese
Lunch:
Water bottle
Pork chop and mock taters
Snack:
Almonds 15
Dinner:
Meatloaf broccoli and salad
Snack:
Cheese 2
Sf jello

I hope this helps. I am at a loss to what I am doing wrong. Maybe I am counting the carbs wrong?

Thanks for your help,
Nikki

Ruthxxx
02-04-2007, 02:54 PM
The broccoli and cauliflower are good vegggies but lettuce (if it's iceberg) is not a great veggie. You should be eating 4.5 cups of good veggies per day. See the sticky in the FAQ for a list off the good ones.

I also do not see any legumes or dairy.

Please run your foods through www.fitday.com. I'd do it for you but don't have quantities. I suspect you may be low on calories and a bit high on fat due to deli meat, pork chops and maybe cheese.

Please don't focus on carbs. This is NOT a low carb plan but a slow carb one.

As to weight drop, it's always erratic. When you gained the weight it was not at a steady rate either. You had some days up and some down too.

Hang in there. You're doing fine.

Nikki128
02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Ruth-

I am going to work on increasing my veggies. My lettuce is either Romain or baby spinach. Also, isn't cheese dairy? I usually eat 2 cups of salad a day I have to work on going up to 4.5 I guess.

Nikki

Ruthxxx
02-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Please review the List again. Cheese is not dairy unless it's cottage or ricotta! Did you check out fitday? The 4.5 cups of veggies is not just romaine and baby spinach, by the way.

Nikki128
02-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes I checked out fit day. Tomorrow I will enter my food there. I know the veggies are more then just spinach and Romaine. As I said I have to increase the veggies. I usualy have a vegetable and salad with Dinner. I will have to add some to lunch too. So milk, cottage cheese and ricotta, and plain yogurt are the only dairies. Got it !

I generally have trouble finding what I eat on fitday. Does anyone else have this problem?

Nikki

Pearlrose
02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Hello, I am on my last day of Phase 1...can't wait to get on the scale to see if I lost anymore in the last two days, so far a total of 6 lbs, not I just have 59 lbs to go towards goal. I will admit to be scared of going into phase 2, but I am going to try and slowly add good carbs and fruits back in, so I hope I keep losing. I have a tough time losing weight and have lost and gained back the last 6 lbs over and over again never getting beyond that.

Schatzi
02-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Pearlrose :welcome: You might want to head over to the Sticky section in the FAQ area. There are some good tips for adding items slowly back in for phase 2. Using fitday is also a useful tool . Recording everything that goes in your mouth really helps to see where there are hidden calories, too much fat too much sodium, not enough fibers or proteins. It can be a bit time consuming to get it set up but its worth it. Start slowly and watch your portion sizes! And we're all in this together!

Schatzi
02-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Nikki, take some time and head over to the Sticky section in the FAQ area (Frequently Asked Questions) there are so many tools and information to help you better understand the food groups, the differences between a Low Carb diet like Atkins and a Good Carb diet like SBD.
Yogurt is also considered a Dairy. go to the Phase 1 food list and look under Milk/dairy. You'll see the yogurt types listed there. :)

Nikki128
02-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Schatzi -

Thanks.. I don't want to sound like an idiot. But I have read over those sections on several ocassions. I realized after I posted I could eat plain yogurt on Phase I. < I edited my last post.>

Pearl - congrats on your loss. I am on day 7 of phase 1. I weigh in tomorrow to see how I did on the first week :)

Nikki

Pearlrose
02-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks Nikki and Schatzi! I will take a look at those FAQ's. I already write down in a journal all calories and types of foods and fat grams per day as well as exercise activities. I used to have an account at fitday so I will look into since it does keep track of sodium as well.

Nikki128
02-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Does a new thread start tomorrow?Or do we keep chatting on this one?

Nikki

Schatzi
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi Nikki, if you are continuing on phase 1, there is a new weekly thread that Mother Ruth starts. Here is a link to it.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103888
You're welcome to participate in any of the other threads too... for example the Daily thread...

Schatzi
02-04-2007, 11:21 PM
P.S. yes Nikki, in the beginning its hard to find stuff in Fitday. It gets easier... since most folks eat the same 15-20 things once you get in the swing of it you can just keep going to the list of previous entries and selecting your food... And you can create your own special entries as well. Keep pluggin away!:)